Fitzgerald: “My season hasn’t been that great”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 13, 2012 – 4:35 pm

It was Thursday, and those are the days Larry Fitzgerald talks to the media. Normally, a wide receiver with six catches over four games doesn’t draw a crowd, but given Fitz’s stature, it’s even more important these days to listen to what Fitzgerald has to say more than any other time because both the team’s season and his season have fallen way, way short of expectations.

And as usual, Fitzgerald handled the time well. He was asked what he thought about whether quarterback Kevin Kolb would return in 2013. “I would love to see everybody come back, but that’s not my decision,” Fitzgerald said. “That’s for management to take care of. Hopefully I can come back next year. Hopefully they bring me back. My season hasn’t been that great.”

It provided a chuckle, even if it was true. Fitz has dropped a few passes this season that in past years he seemed to come up with. But as has been chronicled many times, his numbers — 57 receptions, 652 yards, four touchdowns — aren’t reflective of his ability as much as the struggles at quarterback. Every week, Fitz compiles the plays of the top receivers in the league, guys like Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, Houston’s Andre Johnson, New England’s Wes Welker, Chicago’s Brandon Marshall, Tampa’s Vincent Jackson and Atlanta’s Roddy White among them, and studies their work. He tries to pick up tips, but he can’t steal the throws they are getting from their QBs, and his numbers will fall far short of those other elite receivers.

“When we didn’t have a starting quarterback, in a season when I caught TD passes with five quarterbacks – that’s crazy,” Calvin Johnson told detroitlions.com. “He’s in a situation where they don’t have a steady quarterback situation. You don’t have a chance to get the ball.”

Fitz isn’t going to complain. He knows it makes no difference. Besides, he can let others (like Calvin Johnson did) do it for him. It’s not rocket science to analyze his frustration. But he also wants to power through the end of the season and set a good example.

“Certain days I am up, certain days I am down. I’m human,” Fitzgerald said. “I try my best to be a professional every day, come to work and give it my best. It’d be easy to hang your head and be disappointed but as a teammate you can’t do that to your teammates. You have to keep practicing and working hard and trying to improve. That’s my mindset. I never feel sorry for myself.”

FitzSeasonBlogUSE

Tags: , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Fitzgerald: “My season hasn’t been that great””

1. By Mr Robles on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Keep your head up Larry, but as a leader I think you should DEMAND a better QB

2. By reap37 on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

If management does nothing about the QB situation, I think ii is in Larry’s best interest to be traded to a team that is committed to winning a championship. Cards should get 4 first round picks for him at least. I feel bad for a guy this loyal and professional to be on a team with no chance.

3. By Jim H on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is a class guy. Cardinals have got to find someone, anyone that can evaluate QBs and the Cards have to sign a top notch QB. Getting Warner was the blind squirrel finding an acorn. Other than Warner, Cardinals have not had a top quality QB in this century.

4. By Carlo Milano on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Is hard to be Great and ready to catch when u have some orange thrower in your team

5. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I know the NFL has concussion protocol which Fitz has passed Darren, but usually he catches everything his way and the last few games he’s been human.
    Larry is extremely proud and competitve; any chance the head plant versus the Niners is stil lingering? (And forgo the “There’s always a chance.” response, please. Though you haven’t used it in a while.)

6. By Carlo Milano on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Could you tell me what u think about what coach whiz had seen in players like anderson max hall skelton lindley bartell. Do you think he is able to see the talents about qbs position?

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Fitz health

For the last time, Fitz does not have a lingering concussion.

8. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: QBs

I don’t know exactly on some of them. He brought Anderson in to be a backup. Bartel too. Obviously, the right choice has yet to be made, but then again, a lot of teams have trouble finding a permanent QB.

9. By Steve on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Whats your take on the Cards LT situation? Do you think Potter has played well enough to make a case for being the starter in 2013?

10. By fightingbird on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I really think Kolb stays healthy we would have made the play offs so what does that say for next season,well there again if Kolb comes back and he stays healthy we can win the division because I think he has it in him to win.The O line will have to be straightened out and maybe the off.cordinator,Kurt Warner wouldnt be good with this line.

11. By GMAN on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I like what Mr Robles wrote!

12. By Patrick on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I am happy to see the game sell out, and hope the Cardinals can get it together to reward the fans in attendance.

Let’s go Cardinals.

13. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: LT

I think Potter is a candidate to be the starter next year, yes.

14. By jocards on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Larry Fitzgerald is a true professional in both his actions and his words. I truly wish a certain defensive lineman on this club would watch how his teammate conducts himself and perhaps…..just perhaps learn something about what being a professional and being a leader is all about. Clearly he doesn’t get it and from what I read earlier today it doesn’t appear that he ever will…I really hope that the next head coach whoever that might be is given the support of the front office and ownership so that he can make certain his “house” is in order under any circumstances. I salute Larry Fitzgerald.

15. By Credit Card on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Potter and Massie I think are the answers at tackle. They’ll improve over the off-season. Brown will be a solid guard. Seidlien at center and Colledge at the other guard. Many changes are in store for this organizaton. It’ll be interesting what direction is chosen

16. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@fightingbird, I give up kolb will never, ever finish a season. This guy really knows how to screw an organization. The sad thing about all this, is the team is losing alot of money.

17. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Jordy Nelson / Aaron Rodgers is another good combo to study, Larry. ;)

With Greg Jennings in the last year of his contract, perhaps you’d like to come up to Green Bay for the 2013 season?

Seeing Aaron Rodgers throwing to Ftz would be sick, and I’d bet Fitz would be willing to restructure his contract to make it happen. Fitz would be treated like a king up here in Wisconsin, and he’d be a lot closer to his home state, home of the Viqueens. Fitz could make up for a lot of lost time quiclkly with Rodgers throwing to him. But honestly, if Rodgers goes down, the Packers are in just a bad of a QB situation as the Cards.

18. By Eazy E on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Everybody with a working brain knows why Fitz…

19. By Eazy E on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Fitz don’t want Kolb throwing him the ball. He’s injury-prone and not accurate, what wide receiver in their right mind wants that as their QB..

20. By chad on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Q: Does Matt Barkley remind you of Linart all over again or what? Watch we wast are first round draft pick on him and Kolb turns into Warner… Huh
    One more question
    Q: With Kolb on IR he is unofficially done for the year?

21. By D on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Cards front office could learn something watching the Bengals last night. A young and talented team. The last two drafts they took a G in round 1 and 4 and their QB in round 2. AZ should do the same by moving down in the draft to grab more picks…. my draft would produce the following offense by the end of 2013, which appears improved from this year-

QB Landry Jones (second round pick) Kolb would back up.
    RB- S. Taylor (second or third round pick) to go with Ryan Williams
    WR- Larry F, Andrea R and M. Floyd
    TE- Housler and maybe a free agent addition (J. Cook)
    Starting OL
    L. Brown, N. Potter, L. Sendlein, B. Jones (lower first round pick), Massie.

You have the flexibilty that Brown could play right tackle and Potter left tackle in case of injuries, also Jones can play center– need to see if Kelemete can be the backup G or keep Colledge as the reseve.
    Use rest of the draft to take a ILB, DE and Safety

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Chad —

RE: Barkley/Kolb

I haven’t watched Barkley nearly enough to have a strong opinion on his future.

Kolb’s season was over when he went on IR.

23. By john the draft guy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Normally, we would be talking about the big matchup between Megatron and Peterson.

Or about a weak secondary against Fitz and crew.

Maybe even our oline against the talented and troubled dline. especially inside against Fairley and Suh.

Maybe a story of how Vander Bosch , injured his time with the cards, found new life in Tenn and now is mentoring young D lineman in Detroit.

Instead, it is the “Who Cares” bowl with two very disappointing teams. A lion team at 4-9 comes limping into AZ to face a team trying to find reasons to keep caring.

Alright Lindley, you are at home, you have a very favorable match up, do you think you can complete at least 40% of your passes and maybe get at least two passes to Fitz?

I wonder what the over/under is on when Hoyer comes into the game.

Hang in there Fitz. Hopefully help is on its way next year.

24. By jason marcus on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey John the draft guy! howbout it do we go for Landry? yeah sad right such high hopes only 6- 10 weeks ago now ………nothing, . I would also imagine we grab a another o lineman and a corner?

25. By Kevin S on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Big Red — do you really expect Kolb to play with a concussion (last year) or detached ribs (this year)? Call him injury prone, say the team should get rid of him… but saying he “really knows how to screw an organization” is completely unfair. I suppose by your logic, Ryan Williams (who’s played in far fewer games than Kolb in the two years both have been a Cardinal) knows how to screw the organization even more…?

26. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Do you have input to the webpage layout? Just a suggestion, maybe you can add a thumbs up or thumbs down feature for comments? There are some good comments on here that would make it easy to acknowledge Just a thought?
    Mahalo!

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Thumbs

I will look into it.

28. By johnkhenson on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is here because he makes plays, stop this bogus trade talk to different teams because that is just dumb. Darren I do have a question…There is a report that the Bills have interest in trading up in the draft, do you think that the Cardinals might also have interest in trading up?

29. By Sean on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I have been a fan since 88 when I was 8. I can’t remember being this embarassed to be a cardinal fan. Last week was the worst game I have ever witnessed. I work on the oil pipeline in south Texas and I wear a Cardinal beanie at work. Now I have turned the logo around, and cover it with my hoody. This offfense stinks. The player scouting is bad and so has been the coaching exept for Ray Horton whom I think should be promoted to HC. Urban….. do you think if we don’t promote Horton to HC next year he will likely be a HC for another team ?

30. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

johnkhenson —

RE: Trade up

I wouldn’t rule anything out right now, but we are months from there. It’ll all depend on draft order and who rises to the top of the draft charts.

31. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Sean —

RE: Horton as HC

I don’t think it’s foregone that Horton isn’t DC in Arizona next season. A lot can happen, but to rule out that possibility is wrong in my opinion.

32. By ndpenner on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

We’re with you Larry.

33. By john the draft guy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Jason,

Depending on who is coaching the team would depend on if I think we should draft Landry Jones.
    I do like him and he is one of the players I would want to draft.

But as I said before, if a new coach like Chip Kelly from Oregon took over, I wood see a guy like Geno Smith or EJ Manual.

Tough at this point to call. But yes, I would pick a coach that runs an offense similar to New England and take Landry Jones.

The way Horton talked about Fleming, another CB should be looked at along with an inside LB a pass rushing OLB and of course a guard or two. Running back is another position I would address.

Priority?
    QB has to be the first concern. Next, I think a lot of film work would need to happen. Does Horton feel he can continue to blitz through the A gaps or does he need an outside pass rusher?
    Will you put Massie or Brown at guard or will you look to trade Brown and draft a guard. Is there a CB in FA to grab, or do you need to draft one.
    Do you spend another high pick on a RB or do you look for that late round gem or what about FAs. Is there someone who will be cut or available for trade like in New Orleans?

So, there is a lot to consider. But just taking it as it is,
    I trade down picking up another 2. I try to trade Brown and see if you can get a 2 or 3.
    I take Landry Jones late in the first. Early in the second, I grab RB Lacy. I use the other second to draft an OLB like Jeffcoat from Texas. Then with the Brown trade grab a guard and maybe a CB with our other 3.

Who knows, maybe we will have another 3 and 4 by trading Dockett (ala Boldin trade)

But that will change over the next couple months.

34. By Chuck 1 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

BIG RED and Eazy E,

Too bad that you weren’t behind the OLine early in the season, when Massie and BatIste were like turnstiles, to experience what Kolb felt up close and personal.

The people who “screwed up the organization” were Graves, Keim and Whiz who didn’t acquire OLinemen who could give Kolb enough time to find a receiver or for our RBs to find a hole through which to run.

35. By Chuck 1 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Re: Kauai’s request for thumbs up or down; Thumbs are the same as “Like” or “Dislike”, which I thought you said a few blogs ago that you weren’t in favor of.
    As I recall, you said that fans could achieve the same results by their comments.

What has changed?

Enough already with Facebook features.

36. By jason marcus on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Yes, all good points JTDG.

2. Dec 14, 2012: Detroit lions – Daily Cut-Up: Lions QB Stafford’s numbers outshine team’s 4-9 record