Dockett’s thoughts and other notes

Posted by Darren Urban on December 13, 2012 – 10:18 am

Darnell Dockett appeared on the “Bickley and MJ” show on XTRA 910 Wednesday to talk about his latest kerfuffle. Bottom line? “It’s not my intention to leave,” Dockett said, and insisted he hasn’t brought up to anyone the desire to be traded. That said, he also said he didn’t want to be anywhere where he wasn’t wanted — I don’t think anyone has told him with the Cardinals they don’t want him, but again, emotions have run high.

Highlights from Dockett’s comments:

– “This was not my saying or my idea of me being traded or people thinking I might be traded or came up with this or said this. I never said that. At the end of the day, I will never be anywhere I’m not wanted or I’m not going to be somewhere where I am treated unfairly. Things like that. I want to be happy. I play with passion, I give everything I have on the field.”

– On his reaction when he first was told on the sideline that letting the Jets score the final TD was the right strategy: “At the time I really didn’t know what was going on. I really didn’t think about it or anything like that. I just didn’t have the ‘quit’ attitude. Once they explained it to me real fast, I just didn’t want to be a part of that. Our defensive coaches emphasize all week, ‘Don’t let a team score, don’t let a team score.’ That’s embedded in me. … At the time, looking back at it, maybe I could have done something different, but I don’t have regret on what I’ve done.”

– On clearing the air with coach Ken Whisenhunt: “Maybe at the end of the season we’ll talk or whatever, but as of right now, my main focus is going out and playing hard. That’s my main focus. As far as a conversation of me being here or a conversation of our relationship, that’s not really my concern right now. He’s got a job to do, I have a job to do. I’m thinking we’re both frustrated at being on a nine-game losing streak.”

– The Big Red Rage tonight at 6 p.m. will feature kicker Jay Feely joining host Kerry Rhodes. As always, it is as Majerle’s Sports Grill in Chandler.

– No one is going to argue the Cardinals’ offense has been anything but poor. But FootballOutsiders.com, which measures DVOA (basically a system to compare units and players to the average unit or player), points out the Cards aren’t among the worst they’ve tracked, and even note that by those measurements, the Cards struggled more in 2010 through 14 weeks. It’s an interesting read.

Tags: ,

31 Responses to “Dockett’s thoughts and other notes”

1. By donttakelosses on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

All is well: “As far as a conversation of me being here or a conversation of our relationship, that’s not really my concern right now. He’s got a job to do, I have a job to do. I’m thinking we’re both frustrated at being on a nine-game losing streak.”

2. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

The most true statement of the year. I think , by seeing the comments of fans, you could say we are frustrated at the 9 game losing streak too.

3. By D on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Dockett isn’t going anywhere. Even though in this draft you could find a DE, Cards have many more holes to fill, no reason to create another hole. With his contract and age, no team will give up a large bounty for him, he isn’t a Peppers or Williams where sack totals have been a huge part of his game.

On a postiive note and a reason not to draft a Off Tackle in round 1 (getting back L. Brown who is under contract) this nugget from Profootballfocus on Massie:

“Remarkable Turnaround

If there was a game you would expect right tackle Bobby Massie to revert to form, and his struggles from early in the year, it would be this one. Not only was he facing some talented defensive linemen, but with the rest of the team drowning itself in quicksand, the temptation to join them would seem an easy one to give in to — but Massie had another strong game. His +2.9 grade came as the result of giving up just a single hit and hurry from 42 snaps pass blocking. It was by far the best grade of the offensive line and really makes a statement that he was serious about taking control of his NFL career and being a better player.”

4. By Dynosoar on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

johnthedraftguy,

thanks for the thoughts. Docket having no problem letting Seattle score – Classic!

So with your observations of Landry over several years, what are your thoughts on Tyler Bray? Now to be honest, I’m a Volunteer fan so my watching QB’s at the college level is really limited to Bray and whoever he’s playing that week, not a vast field of observation.

I also know he’s a Junior next year, so we won’t see him till the 2014 or 2015 draft and we need a QB now. Still, what are your thoughts?

I don’t tend to follow the pundits either, as my earlier posts regarding the Cardinals going to New Orleans prove. I also agree the draft boards, except for Luck and RGIII have not been to good at predicting NFL success for QB’s the last many years.

5. By hummer53 on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Just watched the video about the Cardinal Women’s Club program at Ronald McDonald. House. Kudos to those lady’s for all they do. When Alice Whisenhunt spoke I sensed some heartache in her voice about how things have gone this year. I really do believe that she and Coach Whiz truly love being here. At the end of the day, I think Coach has earned the chance to finish out his contract because of the success he brought to us that we had hardly experienced around here except for the 1998 season. In about two weeks this season will be history and we can turn the page and look forward to some positive changes for next year.

6. By Dynosoar on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Our D (defense) is awesome.

D (D) you’re awesome as well. I appreciate the insights in your posts. You’re up there with the best of them.

D (Darren) I read blogs from other teams from time to time. I appreciate the depth of information you give to us. I may be reading the wrong posts, but yours are much better than others I’ve seen. You also are great at encouraging us in our comments.

All we need is to get our offense performing as effectively as our defense and we’re a contender. Where oh where is our next Warner to be found? Is it Landry Jones or another?

Darren is it even possible to see Hoyer playing this season with only three games left. Now that would be intriguing. Could he be our next Warner?

(I rate this post a D, err I mean a B-)

7. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Hoyer

I could see him playing, yes.

8. By Blair on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I’m starting to get nervous that some how this horrible team will win one more game, and that even though he has had three straight loosing seasons (8-8 is a loosing season) two of which were “I can’t believe I’m watching this” 5-11 seasons. Then we are expected to sit through another year of the Arizona excuses. I’m sorry, there is no logical explanation for how bad the last three years of football have been for this team. And to all the fools who think this problem is a Levi brown and OC away from being fixed, wake up and smell the coffee. This teams problems run much deeper than game plans and play calling.

9. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,

To be honest, I have seen only 2 games Bray has played in. First impression of seeing him standing tall in the pocket in that Vols uniform, Manning came to mind.

Of course he is no Peyton. Bray seems inconsistent to me.. He makes one great throw and one questionable one.. I know his stats are good and is somewhere around a 60% passer.
    Those tall QBs (he could be 6’6″) have long strides that hurts them when the pocket breaks down. (Manning has found a way)

But If I am advising Bray, I say go back to school, clean up some issues, and you could be one of the top picks in 2014.

If the cards decide to go the route of keeping Whiz, passing on a QB and sticking with Kolb, I would look long and hard at taking Bray in 2014 when Whiz is let go and Kolb is let go.

10. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,

The other guy I was real high on coming into this year was Tyler Wilson of Arkansas. I didn’t like what I saw out of him this year. But , after thinking about it, that program was in turmoil after the coach had an affair with a student scandal.

How much did that affect him? He will play in the Senior Bowl and that week of practice shows a lot. Tyler Wilson is a guy I would want to interview and find out what was going on this year.

He is a little bit like Cutler. Huge arm but tries to put the ball into windows that arent there at times. Don’t give up on Wilson either.

11. By johnnybluenose on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

dockett has had ten days to think about his actions at the end of the jets game and his reactions to the aftermath. and he is without regret. he too is clueless

12. By brad oneill on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

the streak isnt nearly as frustrating as how we got here. most fans feel there were unnecessary losses in there. I know Skelton did everything in his power to prove he sucked and deserved to be benched in that last game. but I cant help but think he wasnt ruined by that benching in atlanta and then not even considered when the rookie was making fans long for the Max Hall era to begin again.

This team came apart after the coach went after a player for being himself. Its not that hard for someone to predict that Dockett may react as he did, there should have been a quick substitution in the jets game and you can bet the seattle game would have been far more competitive.

13. By djjackson81 on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

If not this draft then next Az will draft a QB

Mock drafts have Az drafting Gino Smith now.

Wiz needs to change his Offensive coaches or Bidwill needs to fire Wiz.

14. By cfrederi on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren, In your opinion would you rather have not started 4-0? Does it make the losing streak worse because we saw a glimmer of hope?

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

cfrederi —

RE: 4-0

It was a glorious month. I can’t imagine 9 straight and, say, 2-11 record.

Unfortunately, it really makes no difference.

16. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

They sucked in 2010 and they suck this year. That is really all that matters. Hearing that they were actually ( somehow ) worse in 2010 according to certain statistical measurements doesn’t make me feel any better.

17. By jocards on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I know that most posters here hate Whisenhunt and love Dockett but this entire situation has been fumbled by the front office and ownership…..Most folks want Whisenhunt to be fired and I understand their reasoning but what happens if Dockett decides he won’t listen to the next head coach either? Do we fire him too and just keep going until we find one that is on the same page as Dockett? Allowing a player to take the field the very next week that disregarded an in game directive from the head coach and that confronted teammates on the field about that directive clearly sends the message that there is nobody in charge here. Certainly not the coach, not the general manager and not even the owner….This organization is an absolute mess…..If you were a free agent player or a coach looking for a job would this be the first place you’d want to work?

18. By Ben on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Whew, I thought we were bad, but 2010 was HORRIBLE…Funny, feels worse this year, or did I block 2010 out of my memory.

God we suck. time to clean house, except you URB, you gotta stay :-)

19. By Safety Guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

The AZ Cardinals officially sell out Sunday’s game vs. Detroit, the 72nd straight sellout

Just shows that as bad as it gets, the fans are still with their team!

Darren-
    Any possibility we may see Hoyer toward the end of game on Sunday? As a “Lets see what ya got” type of situation?

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Safety —

RE: Hoyer

I seriously doubt Hoyer. I wouldn’t be surprise if he was inactive this first game.

21. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Making a big deal out of something that really didn’t matter. Just look at the cowboys, the Jones said they would stand by their nose tackle for what ever reason. But nooo! the Cardinals give one of their franchise player a big fine for something so stupid. I don’t see anybody wanting to come and play here with this organization again. I thought we had gotten away from that, but I guess we’re back to square one. DOCKETT YOUR THE MAN, AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR YEARS HERE.

22. By BIG RED on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@Safety Guy, yea! their all Lion fans.

23. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Being beaten 58-0 by any team in the NFL certainly causes concerns on many levels. But since the Seahawks aren’t really THAT good, then it would seem that losing 58-0 could only mean that the Cardinals quit after a certain point and just rolled over. And THAT is what concerns me the most – that this team has quit. But ya know what? Despite the fact that they are professionals and are paid very well to play at a professional level…how can you blame them? I’m no expert on this but I think NFL teams start to quit when they see either or BOTH of two things happen – first, when they know their QB cannot lead the team and, second, when they have lost faith in the coaches and no longer buy in to what they are selling. And, I think both of these have occured in Arizona. Nothing else explains a score of 58-0.

24. By philly cards 1994- on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I want change. Its a vital part of my cardinals diet.it keeps my interest.

If I lived in az I’d be ok with switching teams if the az cardinals got worse or kept whiz. But living out here being called “arizona” everday for yrs I’m stuck.

Card fan for life

25. By Kevin S on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Scott H —

I don’t really see what the big deal is. I mean, they are professionals, and so they should never really “quit,” but honestly, if you’re down 38-0 at halftime, on the road, with no QB to speak of, what difference does the second half make? Would you really feel better if the game ended up 48-10 or something like that? In the NBA if teams are down 25 points going into the 4th quarter, scrubs just run up and down the court jacking up shots to pad their stats. There’s little defense and little intensity. In baseball you trot your “long reliever” out there when you’re getting blown out, and usually since he sucks you just get blown out worse. And here we’re talking about football, a game where the wrong injury could permanently affect your life. Giving a little less effort is to be expected in my opinion. (And yeah, some will say that these guys are paid so much that they should always be giving 100% on every play… but that’s just not realistic.)

26. By Kevin S on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

On the Dockett situation, it seems to me he’s kinda half-apologizing (“maybe I could have done something different”), half-defending himself (“don’t have regret”). And maybe that’s what he needs to do given his pending appeal of the fine. Seriously, though, did it really have to be explained to him later on the sideline that letting the Jets score was the right strategy? This wouldn’t be immediately obvious based on the score and game situation at the time? I mean, I’m just a fan, I don’t live and breathe football every day, and I’ve seen that situation come up numerous times.

27. By Campbells on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

“What if Dockett refuses to lay down in the future?” I can’t believe the question would even be asked. Running him out of town for that would be pinnacle of all bonehead decisions.
    If Whiz stays, Dockett moves-on to a real team, with real coaches, and real potential.

28. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S –

Hey, man. I’m not sure if you were agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, or neither. But based on your response, I think we’re kinda on the same page. I’m saying I can’t even blame the team for quitting based on how things just totally blew up so badly and quickly last week. The defense, especially, has every right to feel frustrated seeing as they are a competetive unit while the offense has set new standards for pathetic. I think a defensive unit can only hold up for so long before they realize that trying to win games really is virtually impossible when the offense cannot contribute AT ALL.

2. Dec 14, 2012: Detroit lions – Daily Cut-Up: Lions QB Stafford’s numbers outshine team’s 4-9 record
  3. Jan 23, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Dockett expects to be dominant after Arians talk
  4. Aug 23, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Chargers