Horton doesn’t want to forget Seattle, Fleming’s struggle

Posted by Darren Urban on December 14, 2012 – 1:46 pm

Defensive coordinator Ray Horton wasn’t happy with his unit’s performance in last weekend’s 58-0 blowout loss in Seattle. But that doesn’t mean he wants to flush it either.

“I hope they never forget that,” Horton said. “We have to own that as a whole team. It’s embarassing as a whole team. I hope I never forget that. I think it was just a cavalcade of dominoes falling. We couldn’t turn off the faucet. It was awful.”

Yet Horton regained a measure of optimism after seeing the defense rebound mentally. Normally, Horton said, it’s tough not to be down after such a performance on Monday and Tuesday but that things get back to normal by Wednesday. This Wednesday, Horton said he was still “a little down.”

“Darnell (Dockett) came to me and said, ‘Hey coach, we still have a lot to play for, what are we doing (this week)?’ ” Horton said. “We are prepared. We are all on the same page.”

– Horton said one defensive player he thought played well last week was cornerback Patrick Peterson. Like everyone else, Horton is looking forward to seeing Peterson versus Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. “Patrick is ready for this guy,” Horton said. “It’s probably a statement game for Patrick. It will be an interesting spotlight on him this week. … It’s important for him to prove his elite status.”

Horton also has no problem with Peterson talking in public. “They’re the ones that have to back it up. I encourage them to be bold and assertive. If he believes that, and if he wants to say that, I am sure everyone else will try to co-sign that check for him.”

– Rookie cornerback Jamell Fleming, however, is apparently in a totally different place. The third-round pick was a healthy scratch last week, and Horton said after Fleming was excellent early in the season (most notably in New England) his play fell off and thus, so did his playing time.

“I need him to grow-up, mature and be professional and in my opinion he’s not at that point yet,” Horton said bluntly. “He came in and was very productive, very productive in the New England game. I think he had a sense of lull or complacency. I talked to him about that.

“I think he probably thought, ‘There is nothing to this league, I don’t have to prepare, I don’t have to study, I don’t have to challenge myself.’ And you really do, every day, or you get run by.”

Fleming said his reaction was just to do what Horton said. Asked if he too thought he had become complacent, Fleming said “You could say that. I don’t know if I would say that myself, but something like that.”

Fleming did say he didn’t have an issue with how blunt Horton was with him. “Him being honest is what I want,” Fleming said.

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Horton doesn’t want to forget Seattle, Fleming’s struggle”

1. By chris B on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I’ll take a batch of 0-16 seasons for the privilege to go home and play with my kids.

Winning/losing streaks, Qbs, coaches, touchdowns all seem so trivial today.

Psalm 46:1-3, 10
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling.
    10 “Be still, and know that I am God.”

Prayers are with everyone in CT right now.

2. By brad oneill on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

That little blurb about fleming says a lot about Horton and Fleming. It sounds to me like Fleming gets it and it also sounds like Horton is the kind of guy I want as a coach. I hope we keep him here in his current capacity or even higher. I realize whiz might do this behind closed doors but I haven’t seen it, all I have seen is ruined players getting blown up in the press after its too late.

3. By john the draft guy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Good post Chris B,

I have been very fortunate with my work that when my girls were in k-4, I was able to walk then to school and be very involved. As they got older, I had the chance to coach them in softball and take them to dance classes.
    As they got older, I now coach them in their school softball. I take them on trips and spend a lot of time with them.

For several parents in Conn, those memories will never happen. It breaks my heart to see such a horrible event unfold. Unthinkable.

God Bless everyone and really do something special with your kids this weekend.

4. By erik on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I’m sure Horton knows better than me. I’ll say that first. But in my eyes, and I have watched every single Cardinals snap this year, Flemming is better than Gay. In fact, everyone is better than Gay. I would rather see Dan Williams at CB than Gay. He has to have been responsible for half the passing yards this team has allowed. Every single game he is targeted again and again and again. He never is on his man and he certainly never looks at the ball. His play has been the glaring weakness on our D. At least that’s ahat I have seen.

I hate to get down on a player so much, but it is frustrating to me that a guy that has looked as good as Flemming has earlier this year loses playing time to someone who has been nothing but a detriment to his team in terms of quality of play. I don’t get it. Don’t tell me about his two picks. They were tipped balls that he did absolutely no work for.

5. By Peter in Canada on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Chris B – I think your heart is in the right place but people prayed after Columbine, prayed after Virginia Tech and prayed again after Colorado and Oregon and now this happens. I think something must be done after the prayers are said. It is obvious that there is something fundamentally wrong when these things happen again and again. Crazy people should not have access to guns and nobody should have access to the type of high tech weapons that are readily available. But nothing ever seems to change.

6. By Corgon on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I just read Reggie Bush might become free agent after the season. Do you think the Cards will go after a RB like him in free agency?

7. By Chad D on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Chris B.

8. By dstock21CardinalsWINRLOSE on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

@erik

I absolutely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention his 12-15 yard cushion and either being burned on the out as soon as he turns his shoulders or the go route with a stutter step move!!!!!!!!!

9. By sarah on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

This below is a good breakdown of the catastrophe against the Seahawks, it was a total team failure. Skelton locked onto receivers allowing the secondary to cheat on plays (he also looked seriously rusty and laid an egg), the line let up, running game was it’s usual anemic self. On top of that the receivers could not get open ! The defence was simply outmatched by Seattle’s running game and Lynch basically ran at will sometimes. Peterson’s days as a breakaway kickoff guy are over, teams know how to cover him. Throw in the crowd noise and this was beyond winnable.

Skelton had his chance in a brutal environment to come back, inaccurate and he justified his Atlanta early pull and made Lindley;s NY fiasco seem ancient history.

10. By Chris B on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Peter-
    I don’t want to start a gun debate. I understand the idea that guns should not be so easily accessible. We can have differing opinions on the matter. You won’t change my mind and I won’t change yours.

My only response is this; think of marijuana- it is illegal to buy but is very prevalent. As a law abiding citizen, I don’t not have any, nor will I ever buy/use any. I obey the law as much as I am able. But people who don’t care about the law, buy it and use it anyway. It doesn’t matter if you think it should be legal or not. That is beyond the point.

If you “outlaw” (or restrict) guns, the people who don’t care about the law will still get them and people who care about the law will not.

To put it simply- schools are targeted because the first sign posted on school property usually reads “Weapons free zone”. A killer knows there is a 0% chance of being shot at.
    We have unintentionally disarmed the innocent, much to the pleasure of the criminally insane.

An evil will find ways to kill. A man slashed 22 kids in a school in China today. No guns were used. Evil is evil and they don’t care what laws are passed. Laws won’t save change evil hearts.

My heart hurts for loss. My righteous anger burns against the unspeakable evil that happened today and happens every day.

Peter, please keep fighting for your stance on guns. I respect it even though I disagree. And I will respectfully fight for my stance as well. Be blessed. And love on your family and friends this weekend.

I share one more thing, if Darren will allow it.
    Micah 6:8-
    He has told you, O man, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
    but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?

11. By Chuck 1 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

“I hope they never forget that,” Horton said. “We have to own that as a whole team. It’s embarrassing as a whole team. I hope I never forget that. I think it was just a cavalcade of dominoes falling. We couldn’t turn off the faucet. It was awful.”

My comment: The reason that the defense rebounded mentally is that they don’t give a damn. (see Dockett’s outlandishly large fine for the reason)

12. By Chuck 1 on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

erik,

And, why do we have Gay?
    Because he was a STEELER, like several of our failed FA acquisitions.
    Whiz likes the AFC Central players.

13. By donttakelosses on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Horton: ” It’s important for him to prove his elite status.” This brings into doubt Horton’s judgment as well. Horton says he encourages his defenders to speak publicly. My suggestion to PP after his recent debacles: show a little humility, you have not arrived.

14. By jeff on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

First god bless all the friends and families in conn. That was so disheartening to read. In an elementary school no less, where there is absolutely no chance for anyone to fend for themselves. Those families will be in my prayers. But this is about the cardinals so…
    The defense has played well, to the point of elite status all year except for this one game. I say elite because if they ever had a lead and could really get after a qb, they would be scary good. I give them this game because I have played on teams in soccer when there is no offense and after some time it gets very frustrating and you just can’t get up for the game because you know no matter what you do, they just need one and you are going to be sprinting all game because they can’t do crap.
    Yes william gay has failed but we don’t watch the practices. And it sounds like Flemming knows he has not put forth the best effort while gay probably has been working. And I love the cards but this defense can be the best but if we do not have a qb that can throw 50% completion and no less then 3 int a game, it does not matter who the coaches are, well maybe the OC…I hate miller, who else we have on the field, we are not going to win games.

15. By bluepitt on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Im going to take a moment if its ok Darren.
    @Peter in Canada:
    Men with box cutters took the towers down!!!!!!! & Held a nation in fear!
    ONCE AGAIN “WITH BOX CUTTERS”
    Mexico has Gun control.. you cant have one, so the law abiding citizens get gunned down and the criminals have assault rifles! Now tell me how that is working out for them!
    I went to Harkins last week with my .40 cal on my hip for every one to see, the manager told me that harkins doesn’t allow guns in, and that I needed to put it in my truck! I simply told her for every Legal Gun you see, there are 10 stuffed in to pants held by the wrong people. I let her know that with my .40 on my hip, the other 10 thugs will think twice before skinning their weapons.
    I told her it was more of a deterrent VS the no guns allowed stance, (witch makes the criminals the only armed ones) she quietly said “thank you sir please see me after the show for some comp tickets, and your theater is to the left! GOD BLESS!!!!! Today for the first time in,, only God truly knows, I sat and wept like a child, thinking of what would go trough a 5yr old’s mind prior to a death like that! Some of my “not in the know” clients looked strangely at me, but I couldn’t muster a single word. Just sat and wept! I’ve been shot, I know the Pain, I know the fear of the un known, I said my goodbye’s just in case, and was choppered out, but I was an adult Knowing what I was getting in to!!!!!! Not a innocent child!!!! PLEASE!!!!! IF YOU KNOW ANY ONE WITH MENTAL STRUGGLES GET THEM HELP!!! TAKE A MOMENT TO TALK WITH THEM LET THEM KNOW YOU CARE!!! DON’T JUST TURN A COLD SHOULDER, THAT DOES MORE HARM THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW!!!!! Today was just a sample of that harm..
    Thank you Darren.

16. By cardsalltheway on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Horton will never be the Cardinals head coach, but I’m not against him, it’s just what I think.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Bluepitt, Chris B (everyone) —

RE: Guns

I appreciate the sentiments. But let’s keep it simple. I don’t want this to turn into religion vs non-religion, guns vs non-guns, any debate. That can’t end well.

18. By wnycardfan on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Good posts Chris B, others too
    Agree with Darren………football post here. Sad about CT for sure

19. By Scott H on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

I hear ya. But may I suggest an AFC North coordinator as a very good candidate to be our next head coach? That would be Bengals D-coordinator Mike Zimmer. he appears ready to be a solid head coach and, well,…we’re gonna need one of those in a few short weeks.

To complete my wish list, I say we bring Norv Turner here to coordinate the offense. It will be nice to have a REAL one of those again seeing as we haven’t had one since the day Todd Haley left. Whiz has made horrible decisions there ( among many other areas ) and it’s time to start making better ones.

There ya have it, my x-mas list for this team – a defensive minded head coach and a top notch 0-coordinator to handle that side of the ball.

Let’s start breathing again.

20. By Chris Lewis on Dec 15, 2012 | Reply

If anything good can come out of a 58-0 loss, maybe it will wake this team up. There’s way too much talent on this team, minus the QB, to lose 58-0 to any team, and I’m sorry, but I don’t think Seattle is that good. If we had even an average QB, we would stack up with Seattle or any team in my opinion. I didn’t realize how important the QB position was until this season. We should part ways with Skelton, he’s not even deserving of a backup QB spot. I still believe in Kob, we were playing really well and winning games until he got injured, that’s no coincidence. I just don’t understand our defense, they have the potential to be great and then they have a game like last week and you have to shake your head. If we don’t beat Detroit, we could possibly lose our last 12 games of the season, which is unthinkable. I’m just ready for this nightmare of a season to be over and start fresh for next year. I don’t see how it can get much worse. I’m trying to stay positive, but for a die hard fan of over 30 yrs., this is really tough to take. GO CARDS!!!!!

21. By bluepitt on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

I dont know?? have you been to a Cards game latley!! They dont end well!!! hahahaha Just Kidding!

2. Dec 14, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Lions