Niners aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on December 30, 2012 – 10:02 pm

Vonnie Holliday sat back a bit in his locker in the cramped, outdated visiting locker room at Candlestick Park. He hadn’t yet pulled off his uniform pants or his undershirt, quietly taking in the scene after Sunday’s loss.

Change is coming for the Cardinals. Holliday is part of the inevitable part of that change, even if the Cardinals were 11-5 and not 5-11. At 37, he sounds like he is leaning toward retirement. It was he and not Calais Campbell who was in the starting lineup Sunday at the insistence of his defensive linemates. They knew it was probably Holliday’s last NFL game.

“That’s the kind of guys we have in this room, on this team,” Holliday said. “Great character. Calais kind of joked about it on Saturday and then today, we came into the locker room and he said, ‘I want you to have it.’ It meant a lot to me.”

Holliday’s eyes welled up a bit as he told the story. He doesn’t know yet if he is retiring, but sure sounded like he might be leaning that way. “At some point, the sun sets on us all,” Holliday said. “It’s getting late in the evening for me.”

He mentioned to me last week he might actually want to coach – or more realistically, be a consultant. Already, he’s expecting some of the young defensive linemen to join him in Atlanta to train before the Cards’ offseason work begins.

“The season didn’t play out the way we wanted to play out, but it couldn’t be with a better group of guys,” Holliday said. “All the chances to point fingers or having a divide, guys never did that. It’s been a pleasure.”

Holliday is a class act. The Cards were better for him being in the locker room. Things must change to improve the team, but there was a universal feeling among the players that the character of the roster was impressive.

– As for the actual change that’s coming, I don’t know what will happen. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he expects to be back next season, which is what he should say. We will see how this sorts out and on what timeline upon which it happens. There is this assumption all kinds of things will happen Monday. I’m not saying they won’t, but I don’t know if it’s is a lock they do, either.

– The Cardinals will draft seventh. So there’s that.

– There are a lot of people wondering about the future of defensive tackle Darnell Dockett. Including, I would guess, Dockett.

“I’m not one of those guys who wants to play 15 or 16 years chasing a ring,” Dockett said. “Wherever God takes me, he’ll take me. If it’s here I’m going to give them everything I’ve got. I just want to be somewhere to win a championship and where I’m wanted. And I want to be somewhere where they are committed to winning, standards all the way around.”

But Dockett went on to talk like a guy who wasn’t trying to get out.

“At the end of the day my loyalty is with the Cardinals,” he said. “I have given this organization everything I’ve got. I love playing here. I love some of the talent we’ve got. At the end of the day, we have to find a way for us to compete for a championship.”

– Running back Beanie Wells wasn’t into analyzing why he didn’t play Sunday despite being active. His fumble last week didn’t help. Whiz said he wanted  to ride William Powell’s hot hand, and Powell did start well (50 first-half yards on 12 carries). I’m not sure Wells’ thoughts that he’d be moving on from the Cards after the season helped the cause.

– There were a few times when left guard Daryn Colledge and left tackle D’Anthony Batise swapped places. “It was an opportunity to kind of keep him guessing on what was going on and keeping fresh legs on the guy,” Colledge said. “Just kind of change it up and see how they reacted to it.”

– A rough year for Larry Fitzgerald ended with a two-catch-for-13-yard game.

“Yeah, it wears your patience pretty thin,” Fitzgerald said of the season. “(But) acting out, being a jerk, causing a scene doesn’t make anything any better either so at this point it’s important to make sure you’re a part of the solution and not part of the problem, going out and working hard every day in practice  and doing everything you can in your power to make this team better. I’m just trying to stay that course.”

– The team gets together for a final meeting Monday morning. We’ll see how the morning turns out. I’ll be on Twitter (@cardschatter) for immediate updates and azcardinals.com for all the news.

AfterNinerBlogShotAdrianUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

67 Responses to “Niners aftermath”

1. By Jon on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for another great year of coverage, Darren, you keep all us diehard Cards fans going even in (too many) years like these…

2. By sarah on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

C;est tout and a rather predictable end. Hoyer played ok and will help his chances of getting into an NFL camp for a backup role, he is not a starting quarterback, this despite throwing a late TD when the game was well over ( poor secondary coverage of Floyd). Great to see Floyd come out big when it does not matter, hopefully next year he shines.

That was Whiz’s last game as a Card, big changes coming for sure unless Michael Bidwell has blinders on and the Beanie benching was just typical Whiz mean. Skelton and Lindley are gone ( Lindley showed nothing). Skelton is the author of his own demise and does not get it that his chances have run out. He played ok and well against Green Bay, Seattle he threw poorly timed passes and now gets reality, he will be picked up by Houston or the Giants. He brought himself down to Lindley’s level after a good 2011 season. Whiz should have kept him in against Atlanta as he could have won that game and ditto the Jets, Seattle is a brutal place to play but he was inept. Kolb will seriously have to renegotiate to stay and could simply be the backup. Coach is the first hire and see from there.

Reality is that the team is not that good, the defence gave Crabtree another bonus game and Peterson just can’t handle the guy.

3. By BigRedHyperbole on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

So ends the sad song of 2012. I honestly don’t see the Bidwills paying Whiz his 5.5 mill for doing nothing, so my guess is they take some of Whiz’s power monopoly away while also making a change at OC, GM, offensive line coach, and, against their will, at DC (Horton will be gone). People keep poking names like Norv Turner and Andy Reid around for OC….keep dreaming, because it’s not happening.

I honestly think these Cards are 4 or 5 players away from flipping the numbers and being a 11-5 team. The problem is that one of those is the elusive QB we all keep wishing for. And the draft isn’t offering any Andrew Luck ‘deus ex machina’ solution this year. In the end, we’ll ride with a contractually restructured Kolb and somebody else that another team isn’t willing/able to keep on their roster. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and congratulations to Beanie Wells for an impressive audition today. Loose lips sink ships, young man. In the future, don’t talk….just play. If the league gives you another chance, that is.

4. By Steve on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Looking ahead to the offseason, wouldnt you agree that other than QB and adding some more talent to the O-line, finding a legitimate pass rushing threat on the outside is almost just as important as Cards still dont have one?

5. By Chuck 1 on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Peterson going to the Pro Bowl?
    A Pro Bowl corner doesn’t get burned like he did against Crabtree.

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

The final nail in the Whiz/Graves/Grimm coffin is now securely in place. Seemingly very nice guys, but ultimately they proved themselves to be over-confident in their respective roles, not to mention stubborn and frequently inept. When you are in a position of leadership and you aren’t willing to take responsibility for failures or admit mistakes when everyone outside your organization — most importantly the fans (the common folk who watch the games and buy tickets/merchandise and make this league and your job possible) — can clearly see that you did, you will quickly wear out your welcome, trust, and any good-will that you have with your players, fan base, and media.

What a dramatic contrast between the first three years and the last three years of Whiz’s career in Arizona.

7. By Jordan on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren. We’re grateful that you work so hard to keep us updated. I love this site. Can’t wait to see what this offseason has in store.

8. By Tim on Dec 30, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Im new to Twitter. I’ll follow CardsChatter for sure. Please follow me too ” SheriffK9NJ “.

Go Cardinals!
    ~Tim in NJ

9. By Eric Y on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz lost me earlier this season at the Jets game, but with time to reflect and watch the team continue to play, I still don’t know if we can do any better and I think he should be the Cardinals coach next season. The guy is solid but there has to be something the organization can do/change to help him. Lets get a top play caller on offense and think about how the team is managed on the higher level. I think Hoyer and Kolb should stay while we get another FA in there to compete (training camp could be a lot of fun next year!). Let’s not waste this defense the next couple of years. Please stay, Ray! They will get this offense going for you, they have to!

10. By jason marcus on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Yes, thanks Darren great as always!

11. By Mr Robles on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Agree with Jon Thanks D, great job! I try to read everything you put out man.

12. By English Card on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

A somewhat depressing end to the season, but I’d just like to say thanks to you Darren, for the reporting, and to the team for the efforts they’ve put in this season. Yes, there will be a different look next year and it’ll be sad to see people like Vonnie going but despite everything I’ll be back next season – how long is it?

13. By GMAN on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

All I know is that I won’t be subscribing to NFL Sunday Ticket on my Direct TV next season to watch the Cardinals.The 49ers,Seahawks and Rams will be winning more games than them,and it is too painful to watch the Cardinals.It won’t matter who they get in the draft,free agents or coaching changes.It will take about 5 years,maybe,to be respectable again.

14. By Christo on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Brining Whisenhunt back would be a mistake of epic proportion.

Only the Cardinals can reward their fans like that.

The idea of it is simply pathetic.

15. By Corgon on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

What I’d like to see:
    – New O coordinator. A brave one, with fresh ideas and talent. A one with character. A one, who can and want to use TEs.
    – Get one more good TE. The best would be draft someone, but i know we have other priorities, so just get one fom anywhere.
    – Since Beanie’s time in AZ is over I think, a RB via free agency. Don’t wait ’till the draft. Get R. Bush if he’ll be available or someone who can deliver us numbers.
    – Please, please, do not let the Hyphen to test the market. It’d be a huge mistake.
    – Get a QB via FA. For backup. Or restructure Kolb’s contract.
    – QB in the first round. I trust our draft team. They can find a talent for the team. At least someone who could be better even in his first year then anyone was after Warner.
    – Don’t let A-dub and Dockett go. Simply just don’t. A-dub is over his prime everyone knows that, but he’s leadership, experience and presence is a must in the D. At least for depth or option. We can’t find better even if we get both Sanders an Johnsson back (oh, by the way sign them). Dockett the same except one little part. I don’t think he’s over his prime. He still has a lots of quality football in him. Sending him away would be the biggest mistake in this offseason.

16. By Patrick Eagan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

and let the offseason begin…

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Needed pieces

Sure, those sound good.

18. By joe67 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren you did a great job all year. I know it has to be tuff sometimes. You have no idea what it means to us out-of-towners to have a column like yours to read all the time. Looking fwd to following the off season thanx to you.
    God bless
    joe67

19. By canadian redbird on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, another great year of keeping the Cardinal faithful informed from start to finish. I hope Bidwell appreciates that his season ticket sales will be directly related to what is done in the off season. Keeping Whiz, Grimm, Graves & company will do nothing to stimulate excitement and hope going forward. Have the guts Bidwell to do whats right for this franchise,

20. By dan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hire Horton as Head Coach. I think this would be the absolute best possible move without making wholesale changes.

21. By Sabot on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I want to echo Jon’s sentiments. Thanks for your excellent reporting this season, Darren.

22. By Cert 33 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Great job Darren! I really wish good luck to Whiz, Miller, Grimm, Skelton, Lindley, the QB coach, most of the O-Line, Wells, and the rest of the soon-to-be unemployed. May you all find meaningful employment for 2013. I believe the Cards can compete in 2013 under Ray Horton if the offense can be tweaked to move the chains consistently. A new O-Line and perhaps Stepfan Taylor?

23. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Another terrible season in the books. After Kevin Kolb went down I really think this might have been the worst team in the NFL. You just can’t win without any offense what so ever. The defense was pretty good, certainly not great but pretty good. The offense was abysmal. I don’t know if Whisenhunt will be back or not, despite all the injuries I don’t think he had his best season as a coach. I do not think this is a good football team either though so losing shouldn’t be a big surprise. The thing is that attracting big name coaches/coordinators and/or GM’s to Arizona to work for the Bidwills with their organization’s staggering and unwavering history of failure will be no easy task. Andy Reid, Norv Turner, Cam Cameron, etc. etc. will likely have other offers to be the head coach (Reid) or offensive coordinators elsewhere. It is difficult for me to imagine they’d choose the mess that is the Cardinals over other, more palatable situations. Same goes for any GM candidates that might be available. It’ll be an interesting offseason…and less painful than watching this team lose each week.

24. By Dynosoar on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I might be the only one in Utah wearing my Cardinals jersey today and that’s ok with me. Darren, I’m with joe67, us out of towners rely on this site. Thanks to you and to John W.

As I wrote in “Friday before the Niners” I believe in Coach Whizenhunt. He’s an engineer and engineers have long term plans. He’s aggressively addressed what everyone says wins championships over the last few years, the defense. Now it’s time for the QB, O-line and RB.

I’m not going to repeat what I wrote, you can find it.

I know changes are coming to the coaching staff, they always do. It’s the nature of football at the college level and especially at the NFL level.

Ried = no, Haley = no, Whizenhunt = yes.

A dynasty is not built in a day nor does a dynasty begin with wins in the building stage. It’s usually when all the pieces are in place that a dynasty begins winning all over the place and then everyone asks, where did they come from?

I hope our Cardinals make a New Year’s resolution to ignore the QB position and then when the resolution is broken we’ll have our guy.

Go Cardinals, let the offseason speculation and fun begin.

25. By William Barry on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

This team is just a few players away from a championship, we desperately need a new QB….Please keep ray Horton, he’s done a very good job with the defense…Mike Miller has been okay as a playcaller…..Maybe it just time for R. Graves to go, and promote Heim to GM…

Darren–Thanks for your work all season long.

26. By David on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Twitter’s blowing up with news that the Browns and Eagles have already contacted to interview Ray Horton, and also that Whiz will be given the option to stay, granted he relinquishes control over the roster and offense. Interesting, but still not enough to make me renew. I need Whiz out.

27. By iammattyoung on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for another season of hard work Darren. You really do a tremendous job of REPORTING, developing stories, and maintaining journalistic integrity (even when we fans would like you to go out on a limb). Much appreciated.

As for my offseason thoughts:

– Whisenhunt has to go. You can blame the QB situation for the offensive issues this year, but we’ve had offensive issues since Kurt left…and before Kurt took the reigns. It’s not complex logic to see that Whiz has been unable to rediscover the “magic” he worked with Roethlisberger…

– You gotta promote Horton to head coach if it looks like he’ll bolt. He’s done a great job with the defense, the guys play hard for him, and he has a winning attitude. Additionally, you have to find a good OC, and spend the money to make it happen. Hiring washouts like we have ever since Haley left has to have been much to blame for our crummy offense.

– QB: gotta find one. Kolb was serviceable earlier in the season, but he’s got the same problem as Beanie Wells: he can’t stay on the field. That’s a pretty big problem when you;ll be paying a guy $9 million (+a $2 mil roster bonus) in 2013, and $10 mil in 2014.. While it’d be great to give him a chance, I don’t think it’s worth going through what we went through this year again. Unfortunately, there aren’t much better options. My vote: save the $11 mil this year by cutting Kolb, and sign Matt Moore who will be a free-agent this year, and made <$3 mil. He played very solid ball with a bad Miami team.

– Draft: In my opinion, the Cards have two glaring needs. The obvious is impact players on the O-line. However, I think that Nate Potter is an adequate LT, and that sliding Levi Brown into the LG spot could help to make the line good enough. That being said, they could help themselves a lot by drafting a LT, or even Chance Warmack, who would give them a really solid unit with the scenario described above (and would allow us to cut Colledge, who has been very average this year). The other need is a true pass rusher at OLB. We've seen time and again how the defense struggles to pressure the QB without heavy scheming. A pure pass rusher would allow the D to run more base packages, and free up Washington and Lenon to focus on stopping the run and dropping into coverage. My dream picks: either Luke Joekel or Bjoern Werner. If they're not available, then I guess you take local kid Taylor Lewan.

28. By IronCardinal on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

It’s disappointing to wake up and get notifications on my phone from ESPN about HC’s being fired but not Whis. It’s simple, Michael. The team has not made the playoffs since Warner left. Whis is an offensive coach and the AZ offense has been bottom-5 since Warner left. It doesn’t matter how good of a coach Whis is because what ever he’s doing here isn’t working.

29. By louie on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I cant believe ken hasnt been fired yet, he must know hes not going anywhere, the teams failures fall 100% on him. Horrible play calling and qb issues, why is he still here?

30. By D.Robles on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I have been critical of Coach Whiz, Calling him “Wasnthut”. But I actually think he did a GREAT job with what he had this season. Sometimes the way players play in practice does NOT show up on gameday ie Kolb & Skelton. I think we KEEP Coach Whiz.

31. By Dynosoar on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Why can’t we get a QB that throws above 60%? Hoyer was 56% Sunday.

What I do like, he threw the first touchdown pass since week 8.

Why are other QB’s willing to throw to there best receivers regardless of coverage. Larry will make the plays even if double covered. I recall Warner throwing to him when tripple covered and Fitzgerald made the play.

He’s driven. We need QB’s that will trust in his ability to make the play more than defenders ability to keep the ball from him. He makes one-handed diving catches while getting hit. Throw the ball to Fitzgerald!

We need a QB that has above 60% accuracy that will throw the ball to Fitzgerald and throw for first downs and touchdowns.

How much of that is coaching, play calling, plays changed at line of scrimmage, quarterback, lack of running game or O-line ability I don’t know. I do know if we have accuracy and throw for Fitzgerald, first downs and touchdowns we win. I want wins. We all do.

Here’s to the offseason and next year.

I love my Cardinals!

32. By D on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Since a house cleaning is under way in Chicago, Mike Tice would be a nice OL coach here in the desert if an opening occurs here soon….

33. By MIKE G on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Cards played tough for a bit– but you have to score some points. I had a feeling Beanie would not play and that does not bode well for next year. I like the D and Special Teams–but the offense needs an overhaul. I hope the Card’s bring Whiz back but there needs to be a change in philosophy on the offensive side of the ball. I think there will be a couple changes made by Mike Bidwell— you cant stand pat after a 5-11 season. I believe they must get more physical offensively to compete with that SF and Seattle defense. Darren–I know its too early to talk draft –Do you think the Card’s would go like 70% offense in the coming draft?????—Happy New year!

34. By Andy Kw on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think Michael Floyd has a chance to be the number 2 Wide Receiver next season? Do you also think there will be competition for the #2 spotwith Roberts and Floyd?

35. By Cactus jeff on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

No more Horton talk. If DD and CC aren’t pro bowlers then he didn’t do his job. Coaching should improve the defense, but the offense needs talent. A new GM has to add game breakers through free agency and a LT in the draft.

36. By Andy Kw on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    What type of changes to the coaching staff are up ahead?

37. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Draft

You are right. Too early.

38. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Floyd

Let’s see what the offense is going to look like before we start doling out positions.

39. By Brian Hoyer on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I played great.

40. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I do not understand when I read comments saying Andy Reid would be a bad choice if the Cardinals do indeed relieve Whisenhunt. First of all I doubt Andy Reid would even want this job, he’ll likely have other, more attractive suitors…..secondly he is what, around 40 games over .500 for his career as a head coach? Yeah, we wouldn’t want to bring in a proven winner or anything…..wow.

41. By brad oneill on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

guys like Vonnie Holiday are why I can cheer for this team no matter how bad it gets. This was a horrible season the worst in my memory not because of the record but because of the coaching mistakes that seemed to hold us back all year long. This year is the culmination of years of arrogance from whiz. the guy is a good guy, he works hard and always keeps the fans in mind which i love, but his refusal to name a starting qb has killed us over and over again. all the way back to lienart/warner. I sincerely wish him well and hope he learned from his experience if he is still here next year i would be surprised if Grimm is still here I would be shocked.

42. By Dave Chaney on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

For a franchise that in the past 50+ years has only had the opportunity twice to build a dynasty (the Coryell and Warner eras and they missed the boat on both) it is doubtful they will start now. As the Bidwill family continues to rake in the $$$ and deprive fans of winning football it’s a fairly safe bet that this team will only do what is absolutely necessary for 2013. This has been their trademark for decades. A tease here and a tease there but pretty much a game plan which does not include any high profile type players or coaches. In other words, no big salaries being paid out, bare minimum only. Look for a QB change, but nothing earthshaking. Probably a new RB but no franchise backs available in the draft so it will have to be a FA. An attempt will be made to shore up the OL and most likely we will see a few assistant coaches dismissed or in the case of DC Horton hired away. Don’t look for Wells, Dockett or Wilson in a Big Red uniform next year either. That’s it…Happy New Year! Thanks again Darren for a great blog during a very dismal season.

43. By Scuba steve on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Brian hoyer you did play great. I agee

44. By david on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

has the team even taken the fans into consideration on their coaching decisions? right now the poll on FOX10 shows that over 80 percent of the votes are for firing whisenhunt. the debacle with the QB’s and Whisenhunts head games needs to end. i easily see an empty stadium next year if Whisenhunt is retained. Every season ticket holder i know has told me that they wont renew if Whiz stays. surely the losses in sales would outweigh the 5.5 million lost on eating the last year of his contract.
    sincerely,
    a fan tired of mediocrity and excuses.

45. By zbot on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

great job Darren. (before i type anything negative)

I know the team had some setbacks, but throughout the season i never once thought that they could not possibly win against whatever opponent they were facing. there is talent in the desert. It seems to me (just some random dude actually) that over the last couple of years wiz has gotten distracted by things other than winning with what he has. I know there have been distractions, but i didnt see any more important than winning. no one really cares about his philosophy or random shanahanagans we just want wins. i think thats what Docket wants too.

46. By soares20 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Rod Graves just got fired.

47. By Campbells on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hooray!!! Whiz ia gone!!!!

48. By Rick Von on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Just read on NFL.com that the Whiz and Rod Graves have been canned. Nice!! Long overdue, especially for Graves. Now we can finally draft some O-linemen and a QB higher than the 5th round. I’d like to see Bruce Arians be the next head coach.

49. By kekojones on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Now that both Graves and Whiz have been fired; it will be grate to reunite Horton on Defense or HC and Bob Arian as OC or HC. Also AJ Smith our new GM.

50. By Blair on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

They did it!!!!!!!!!

51. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

ESPN is reporting that a NFL source has told them that the the Cards have fired Graves and Whiz.

I am not surprised that Whiz has been fired, but Graves? I’m shocked that Michael (and Bill) have fired Graves.

52. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

If, in fact, Michael has fired Graves and Whiz, offer the HC job to Bill O’Brien (before other teams who are looking for a HC, do)
    Reports yesterday said that the Eagles and other teams were considering him for HC..
    He is a proven winner for the Patriots and Penn State.

53. By In fitz we trust on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

It’s official! Whiz and Graves are unemployed.

54. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whisenhunt and Graves have been fired.

55. By erik on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Just on ESPN… Whiz and Graves fired!

And, yes, Horton should be offered the head coach job. I love the comment above saying that because CC and DD are not pro-bowlers, Horton has failed. 3-4 DEs don’t make the pro-bowl because they are not rushing the passer as much. They are great football players and comments like that are just silly.

56. By cobra on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

jocards:

RE:Reid,

Last time I heard, “WE HAVE A WINNER IN TOWN” was Buddy Ryan. How did that work out? All we need is another Eagles or Steelers reject, whether it’s a HC or QB. If we do hire a new HC, I wouldn’t mind if it was Gruden. I’m sure he is aware of the College QB talent available in next years draft. If we are truly starting over, then let’s have a clue. Vick, hell no.

57. By clssylssy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Sad to learn that the Owner has bowed to the armchair contingency and fired the best coach in Cardinal franchise history! VERY BLACK MONDAY for the team and true Card fans. Short signtedness will prove costly…you can bet there will be no money to pay anybody of quality after they have to pay out Coach’s remaining contract….dumb, dumb, dumb!! At least the Card’s braintrust is consistent in their folly!:(

58. By Rio on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren you are my Pro Bowl selection.

Good Job

Rio

59. By Jesus on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Dockett for Head Coach!!!!!

60. By Troy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

OK everybody. All of you got what you asked for. All of you remember this day and this time come next year. I hope, being the greatest CARDS fan for the past 35 years, someone is right. Mr BW, lets get it right from the start. Everything is going to change now. Who is in our sights? Who is going to grow some hair and make some very, very tough decisions? Are we going after coaches right now? Not in 2 or 3 weeks after everyone has made their claims to the best possible candidates? If the Bidwells want some satisfaction in the desert, then bring it on. NOW!!! Don’t procrastinate. We, the fans, will show our support with a great attempt to make US better. I say what Nike says, “Just Do It” and watch the results this off season. Thanks.

Whiz, thanks for the memories. We do appreciate you…..

61. By david1050 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whisenhunt and Graves both knew how important it was to get a quality quarterback in here after Warner retired. Kolb couldn’t lead a flag football squad to victory and the the rest of the QB’s are worse. What makes me mad is that the Cardinals gave away a great DB to get Kolb. So where are the Cardinals at now, we are back to square one, how do we replace Warner and keep this team competitive ?

62. By lurker on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

This was coming but overall was a bad idea. There is a reason almost every football guy thought whisenhunt shouldn’t have been fired. Also the drafts have been up there with the best in the NFL. If you think there is any team that hit on more draft picks you don’t pay attention. With them their was one problem QB. Now new ego’s, agendas, and hitting on a gm coach combo and qb is rare ask the Browns.

63. By david1050 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whisenhunt and Graves knew how important it was to replace Warner and they never did a thing but give up a very good DB for Kolb who couldn’t lead a flag football team to victory and the other QB’s are worse. We are back to aquare one after three years of Whisenhunt and Graves sitting on their thumbs. We have paid these two a salary for which we have seen nothing done to keep this team competitive.

64. By cardsalltheway on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Nice Michael B.! Anybody is better than Ken W. We had zero hope with him, at least we got some hope now.

65. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Cobra –

Buddy Ryan has absolutely nothing to do with anything…totally and completely irrelevant to this situation.

Reid went 130-93-1 during the regular season with nine playoff appearances, six division titles, five NFC title-game appearances and one Super Bowl showing…..That’s a pretty impressive “reject” wouldn’t you say? Tell me, what other coach in the entire history of the Cardinals has had a more impressive resume than Andy Reid? Just think about those numbers for a second….how many playoff appearances have the Cardinals had in their entire history….Chicago, St, Louis and Arizona?

66. By wagnot5 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Very frustrating watching PP. He claims to be the best corner in the league. Why is it that Crabtree routinely schools PP? PP needs to become a better overall defender since his ability to recover lost ground will diminish as he gets older. Watching the Cards secondary against good passing teams is like watching a pop warner football game.

2. Mar 21, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Draft picks over a Frostee