The Whisenhunt/Graves era ends

Posted by Darren Urban on December 31, 2012 – 1:16 pm

The news will move quickly now, on to potential candidates for both head coach and general manager, and the new offensive assistants that will take the places of the ones let go. On the NFL’s “Black Monday,” after weeks of speculation that changes were probably going to happen, the actual move has a relatively short shelf life.

The Cardinals needed to make some changes. That’s what happens after struggles and non-playoff years and extended losing streaks. But make no mistake, both Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves deserve to get credit for where this team was a few years ago, during division titles and a run to a Super Bowl. They had help from their players and coaches, yes, but they were part of the equation.

So many want to say that Kurt Warner was the reason this team scaled its heights, and Kurt for sure deserves that. But Warner was also in Arizona for two years before Whisenhunt arrived and never took the team anywhere close to where it went after Whiz’s arrival. Warner got benched by Denny Green, was booed off the field at UoP. Warner helped Whiz but Whiz helped Warner, got him to change the way he handled the pocket. It made a difference. Whiz, and Graves, collected a team that could make steps forward. Yes, Whiz inherited good players but he got those good players winning in a way they never had before.

And Graves was there helping collect those players even before Whisenhunt arrived.

There will be criticisms of both, and that’s fair. Whisenhunt said it yesterday after the Niners’ loss — “Bottom line, we didn’t win enough games.” There is plenty of blame to go around when you lose nine in a row, or six in a row last year, or seven in a row in 2010, but it’s never completely black and white. In a lot of ways, this comes down to the quarterback. There is little question the position could have — and probably should have — been handled differently after Warner retired. But without a top-notch quarterback, winning in the NFL is a difficult chore, regardless of anything else going on. Yes, the offensive line has been under-addressed, but I just don’t believe that it’s something consistent QB play couldn’t have overcome.

So the Cards move on. Both defensive coordinator Ray Horton and VP of player personnel Steve Keim are expected to be candidates for the coach and GM jobs, respectively.  Adam Schefter reported the Cards have also put in for permission to talk to Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. We’ll see what president Michael Bidwill has to say later this afternoon. (The last time the Cards were searching for a head coach, Bidwill let everyone know who was on the list of candidates.)

Change can be good, but change isn’t what you want to have to happen. Stability works in the NFL. The Cards were put in a spot where change was necessary, but the process starts all over again now.

FinalWhizBlogUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

101 Responses to “The Whisenhunt/Graves era ends”

1. By Dennis on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz and Graves were fired for non performance, just like you or I would be if we surounded ourselfs with bad employees. Poor offensive coordinator, poor line coach, very bad QB’s (the heart of the team). Poor performance from players in key positions….etc….Whiz had a lot of power, when you give someone that much power they have to perform and get their employees to perform or it’s on them. Graves never impressed me much as a GM, maybe a better cap negotiator for Bidwills. I do not feel sorry for them. Now let’s make the right choice to lead this team.

2. By Andy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Go for the colts interim coach

3. By suspence716 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, guess what? I’m back as a fan!!!! I said I wouldn’t be a fan of this franchise until they got rid of whiz and they finally did!! Not that I don’t appreciate some things the coach did, but I think once Warner retired n Haley was gone that whiz really got exposed as to what he is. I think that he’s probably a assistant coach or coodinator but when it comes to being a head coach and pulling the strings he’s lost. Good riddance, lets move forward n maybe I’ll think about buying season tickets for the next year!!!!

4. By John S on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

THANK YOU BIDWILL!!!! Wow very impressive. Both on cleaning house offensively with staff, Whiz and finally Graves, but also acting so quickly. Now if we can replace all the quarterbacks, running backs and offensive line we are looking at a welcome and overdue change. Great day for Cards fans.

5. By carlo milan italy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

darren i happy u still be here,.what do u think about mcoy ? he will be interviewed this week..the owner want a young coach?

6. By Campbells on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Fantastic!!!
    Renewed confidence in this organization.
    I’d like a reason to renew my season tickets. :)

7. By BigRedHyperbole on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Wow. I’ll admit I’m a little surprised the Bidwills were willing to pay out Whiz. Didn’t see that coming. But I’d also be lying if I said I was shocked. Tonight my first NYE drink will be to the good times had during the Whiz years; a super bowl run and almost a victory, the most exciting NFL playoff game ever against the Packers, a team that practically refused to ever lose in OT, and a consistently packed UoP with a sea of red. Good times. In the end it was just too much bumbling at the most important position that did it all in.

But starting tomorrow it’s all in the past just like 2012. Long live the Horton era, bring back Haley, and for god’s sake let’s get a QB coach who can train somebody to just manage the game. 4 or 5 of the right players and it’s back to being competitive in the NFC west. Happy new year everybody!

8. By MIKE G on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren– Crazy Monday in the NFL. I think Whisenhunt is a good coach and I would have given him another year.
    I would of brought in a different offensive coordinator-
    one that stresses a power running game.
    It is a bottom line business though and 2 of last 3 years have been disappointing(losing seasons).I think your blog above is very accurate. Surely I have been critical about his play-calling–I believe he calls the same plays as if Warner was his Qb- Unfortunately none of these other Qbs can execute his plan. His losing streaks and the organizations inability to find a capable QB over the last 3 seasons cost Whiz and Graves their jobs. I really thought over the last 3 seasons Whiz would have added a Jerome Bettis type of player that he once had in Pittsburgh and would have made our running game stronger. I do think Whiz is an old school coach and his approach clashes with todays modern players– hence– Beanies benching, Docketts fine etc… Todays players will turn against
    those discipline measures and I believe that played a part in this decision. I also believe the Cardinals are fearful of losing Ray Horton and will consider him for the job. Darren–Would you of given Whiz another year to right the ship????

9. By Mark on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Nice to see a voice of reason in terms of what Whisenhunt brought to the team Darren. People really do forget that Warner was unsuccessful here before Whisenhunt came to town. Fans should be thankful the man brought a belief that the team could win and then made it happen. The last few years didn’t work out well and that’s a piece of the story too, but the fans pretending like he didn’t make a difference here are either too blinded by there hatred of Whisenhunt to be objective, or just simply ignorant.

10. By jeffgollin on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

It wasn’t merely a matter of the losses, it was how ineptly the offense played

11. By tyman on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Wow bad news all around.

I thought Mr. Bidwill might give Whiz and the staff one more year, but then again its hard to argue this move with how bad the offence played this season.
    The next move should be hire the next GM and start cleaning house of players that quit on the team down the stretch Like Wells.
    As for coaches we could always see if dennis green wanted to come back. You know ” You play to win the game”. Or maybe the more logical Ray Horton as long as he is able to stick with the play calling. Chan Galey and colts assistant both look like strong coaches.

12. By John S on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Darren I completely disagree with you about change. You have a definite undertone of bitterness about them getting fired but that’s what today’s NFL is. When Peyton came in here early last year to interview they didn’t put a whole lot of effort into making this a team he would want to choose. Whiz and Co. were more interested in keeping the “stability” of Kolb and Skelton. That worked out so well didn’t it? Today’s NFL is change and change qiuckly as it’s needed. The teams who are at the top all have acted on change QUICKLY and its about time Bidwill did.

13. By georgiebird on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

The Cards did the right thing today. Whiz and Graves were not the right guys to turn the Cardinals around in the tough NFC West.
    Graves was a nice guy but he was in way over his head. Whiz was too vindictive a guy especially what he did to Skelton, Bradley and Beanie; Whiz doesn’t have the resume of a Parcells or Belichick to get away with that type of bluster.
    And as I try to be on to things before the masses catch up, I believe the Cardinals are overvaluing Ray Horton. I think Horton did an ok job as DC- but as I look at all the dumb plays and big plays given up by our defense, Horton is not ready to be a HC. What I have most against Horton is his attempt to jam a 3-4 defense down our throats when the personnel was more suited to the 4-3. How smart a football guy is Ray Horton?

14. By Rick Von on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I think Mike McCoy is a good choice, I’d also like to see Bruce Arians interviewed too. And of course Ray Horton deserves an interview. The only way the Cards land either McCoy or Arians, is to make them the Head Coach. They aren’t coming over to be an O.C. and in my opinion it seems harder to get a great offensive mind then a defensive one. I would think it will be easier to keep Ray Horton as D.C. and hire a good offensive minded head coach than to make Ray Horton the head coach and look for a good O.C. What do think Darren?

15. By lg on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

thats what a lot of fans wanted and at times i did to but i feel bad for whiz cause he took this team places they never been thanks for all the good times coach whiz

16. By RockyGreen on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Please… Lovie Smith….. covers us in case we loose horton… he could take our defense to another level… not convinced horton is hc ready.. Andy reid…second..

17. By sqhead on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Just as long as they got rid of Mike Miller and Russ Grimm, I would have been happy. I’m not upset with the sweeping changes beyond those two, though. I hope Bidwill goes after some”new thinking” coaches, and not just the usual retreads. We need a fresh spark on the offensive side of the ball, just like we got on the defensive side when Ray Horton came in. I know it will be hard to keep Horton as DC, but I don’t know if he is ready to be HC either.

18. By BFrye on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren – what’s your gut telling you about who replaces whiz? Hope it’s not Horton. I don’t like the idea of changing the one part of this team that was successful (defense). Seems really dangerous. Doesn’t Horton want a chapionship as a DC? It hought I read that somewhere.

19. By D on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Good recap Darren.
    This could take some time with the amount of openings and the fact that this team doesn’t have a franchise QB on the roster. I give Michael credit for writing all those big checks for people who are leaving town, now let’s see if he can hire the right people and let them do their jobs. Whiz and Warner should get thier names in the ring of honor some day when we all can look back-we all need to remember they were only 30 seconds away from being SB champs.

20. By lurker on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I think it is sad that their needs to be an article defending Whisenhunt and Graves. People are so fickle and seem to have an opinion on everything despite not even knowing what they are talking about. Those two fielded the best teams the Cardinals ever saw in the desert period. Anyone that would put that all on the shoulders of Kurt Warner should have their opinion taken with a grain of salt. I for one will always remember the 2010 playoff game with the Packers. I have already said this but Whisenhunt is a great football coach and the draft decisions were solid. Anyone that attacks their draft record during the last few years knows nothing about the success rate of teams in the draft. The chips fell sideways at quarterback only. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side everyone screaming for Whiz ‘s head will be screaming for the next coaches soon enough. People forget Rich Kotite followed Pete Carroll to great fanfare. Carroll is going to the playoffs, Kotite hasn’t coached in any capacity since 96.

21. By Tucson Card on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I liked Whiz as a coach. I thought he had integrity, football intelligence, and was also a good leader. Had the Cards a decent QB I believe he’s still the coach, but he was ultimately fired for the organizational failures at QB. The state of the offense this year was unacceptable and change had to be made. I’m looking forward to the new era. We have some great talent on our sqaud.

Here’s to hoping Horton becomes the next Cards HC. I like his attitude and his approach to football.

22. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Keim for GM.
    Bill O’Brien for HC.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: McCoy

He’s done a good job in Denver. That’s about all I know.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Whiz

I think what I think doesn’t really matter. You can make legit cases either way.

25. By BeatSF on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Glad Bidwell could see a change needed to be made. Shows the fans he is willing to eat some money to make the team better. Promote the DC!

26. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

John S —

RE: Bitterness

No bitterness. I’ve been covering this league for 13 years. These moves make sense and I understand.

What I am bothered by is how some people see it all as black-and-white when it is never that. For instance, your comment about making the team one Peyton would want to choose. Exactly what does that mean? It was the first few days of FA. The Cards couldn’t dump Kolb and not have him should Peyton not come to Arizona. It was a difficult situation. There was also an issue of cap space at that point. Lot of variables. People want to simplify things that aren’t simple.

27. By Dynosoar on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I was a hundred percent behind Coach Whizenhunt; not all his decisions, but then who agrees a hundred percent with anyone. (We don’t even always agree completely with ourselves.)

Since he’s gone, my vote is for one of the following three for Head Coach, (alphabetical order by first name).

1. Brian Kelly of Notre Dame
    2. Chip Kelly of Oregon
    3. Ray Horton

I’ve watched Brian Kelly take two teams from obscurity to the top of the BCS, Cincinnatti Bearcats and the Fighting Irish. He’d be my number 1 choice.

I’ve watched Oregon become a powerhouse. He’d be my number 1 choice.

I’ve watched what Horton has done as a coach with our defense. He’d be my number 1 choice.

If we could have either of the Kelly’s and Horton on the same staff, or all three; we’d be unstoppable.

I wish we’d have kept Whizenhunt for one more year because I believe with one more FA and draft he’d have had this team a Super Bowl contender for years to come. Since he’s gone and I can’t change it, I’ll get behind the new coach.

I’m a Cardinals fan, not a player or coach fan. Go Cards! and get us a coaching staff that will compete.

(Wow! The entire offensive coaching staff. Wow! I mean, wow! Just wow.)

28. By Darren Urban on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

BFrye —

RE: Replacements

My gut tells me we haven’t even heard from the team president yet. Your guess is as good as mine.

29. By Relay-TV on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Coach Whiz,
    Thanks for all you did to help change the culture of the Cardinals.

Mr. Bidwill,
    Thanks for making the tough decisions necessary to build a winning team.

Cards fans,
    Thanks for being patient.

Step #1 is over.

Now, let’s promote Horton and Keim, hire back Haley, draft an O-line and sign a QB!

30. By donttakelosses on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz took AZ to SB. No other AZ Coach has ever sniffed, ever. Period.

Thanks Coach, fare thee well and Godspeed.

One reason B was not hesitant to fire him is he knew Whiz will get rehired and he won’t have to pay up.

Horton not ready for HC, he’ll likely get one but may fail badly, imo.

31. By Mark on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Im Curious Was This Picture Taken Today Darren? cuz by the looks of it seems like whiz and graves are happy to be fired!!

32. By dioalice on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

First, I’ll state that I’ve been a fan of this team since 1970. I’ve seen a lot of bad football, and a few good years. That said, I’m not excited by today’s firings. Ken Whisenhunt is a fine head coach, but perhaps his loyalties got in the way of progress.

Bottom line: I sincerely hope Michael Bidwill has a strategic plan to go out and acquire a GM/coach tandem that can identify talent not at just the skill positions but in the trenches. This team has needed an offensive line upgrade for decades.

I’d like to think Steve Keim is the guy for GM. I’m unsure if simply listening to the fans’ wishes and promoting Ray Horton is the perfect move. There is talent on the defense; the offense needs a makeover.

Regardless, I’m a fan. Day in, day out, year in and year out. Go Cardinals and happy new year to all Card’s fans!

Finally, I’d like to thank Darren for putting up with the fans on a daily basis. While many if not most true fans think we live and die on the Cardinals’ day to day success, we lose sight of the fact that, for most of the players and team employees, it’s a job. So, cheers to you, Darren. Enjoy a couple of weeks away from ‘who do you think the Cardinals will pick in the fifth round?’ type questions!

SN
    Indianapolis

33. By Relay-TV on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Mark said, “People really do forget that Warner was unsuccessful here before Whisenhunt came to town.”

Actually, given Whiz’s history in finding a replacement QB, it seems unlikely that WHiz would even have hired Warner in the first place, if it was his decision.

Hence his unwillingness to give McNabb, or any other aging vet a shot.

I’ll give Whiz all credit he is due, but saying that he somehow allowed Warner to be great is just plain wrong.

He waffled on the Warner/Leinart decision just like he did with Anderson/Leinart and Kolb/Skelton.

Whiz’s greatest weakness is his inability to identify a quality QB — Period.

34. By Dynosoar on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Geogiebird,

Whizenhunt moved to the 3-4 years ago and Horton was simply doilng the job he was hired to do, run the 3-4. I don’t know if Horton would run a 4-3, he does after all come from a 3-4 background in the 3-4 at Piitsburgh and it’s hard to argue that the 3-4 is a bad scheme given the Steelers success over the years.

I just don’t see that Horton is “jamming’ the 3-4 down our throats. He was doing what he was hired to do, run a 3-4 defense. It will be interesting to see what he does with a new head coach (or as a new head coach.)

I am with you on all the big plays given up, but I have to give a thumbs up to some of our opponents on the offensive side, they made big plays, just what they’re paid to do. Our defense is tops in turnovers, it just wasn’t enough without an offense that could score.

35. By Steve W. on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been living in Texas now for almost six years after having lived in AZ for my entire life and cheering for the Cards through all those terrible years and a few ‘good’ ones. It was Whiz and his success as a coach, and the chemistry of the team which he helped to foster that kept me a fan after my move (and I’ll NEVER be a Cowboys fan…) so I’ll always wish Whiz the best of luck no matter where he winds up. I was also a big fan of the Phoenix Suns during my many years in AZ, but my loyalty for the team faded swiftly as I saw management seem to flounder helplessly in figuring out an identity for the Suns. When D’Antoni left, I pretty much lost interest in following my old favorite NBA team. When Nash was traded, my loyalty died out completely, and now I hardly follow the NBA at all.

Though I understand the perceived need for change, I’m wishing Whiz would have been given another year to lead the Cards as head coach. I really think the players believed in him, and if not for the injuries that have plagued our team since the pre-season, things might have gone differently, especially as the O-Line seemed to get increasingly better at protecting the QB later in the season. A luxury that Kolb never did get to see before he was sidelined for good.

We’ll never know what ‘might have been’ without the injuries this year, and how the Cards might have bounced back next year under Coach Whiz. I only know that I’m not looking forward to watching a re-build over the next couple of years as the new coach brings in his ‘type’ of players and ones he doesn’t like are shipped out. Unless we just get incredbly lucky, I foresee at least two seasons of painful rebuilding, and I’m pretty sure that the fans who are so quick to say good riddance to Whiz and Graves on this blog will be calling for the head of the new coach by next November or even October. We shall see, and I do hope I’m all kinds of wrong with this prediction.

I truly hope that this change doesn’t affect the mindset of the Cardinal players I’ve come to respect and admire, with Fitzgerald being foremost in my thoughts. And maybe if they bring in the ‘right’ coach, the Cards will remain the kind of team I want to get behind as they prepare for next season – whether it be a brutal re-building year or one in which our favorite team bounces back and takes the NFL by storm, becoming the Cardinals that we all know they could be. I wish Bidwell luck and wisdom in finding that ‘right’ coach and GM, who surround themselves with a great staff of assistant coaches and continue to foster the outstanding sort of team chemistry I’ve enjoyed watching for the past six years, from the year we played in the Super Bowl (and should have won, dammit!) to the terrible losing streaks that threatened to crush the spirit of all true fans over the past few years. Through the highs and lows, I’ve always truly enjoyed the Cards as a team, and every week I cheered for them to win, not only because I believed in them and their own desire to win, but also in their unity as teammates who supported each other, through thick and thin.

For the time being, I remain a Cards fan. I hope that I feel the same next year at summer’s end.

36. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

This team doesn’t need a top-notch QB to become much better, it just needs a QB that can complete 60% of his passes and not turn the ball over — that would go a long way with the defense at the level it is now and the Top-notch WRs currently on the roster. That said though, if you can’t run the ball, it will be very hard to pass as we’ve witnessed the past three years.

37. By Scott H on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Well, we knew at least some of this was coming. And hate to sound nasty, but I’m glad the axe found all of the heads that it did. Because for things to change, they ALL had to go and it needed to start at the top with Graves. As much as my most of my comments have been directed at Whiz in recent months, I actually held Graves more responsible than anyone for how this thing has imploded in recent years. But Graves…Whiz…Grimm…and all the other coaches who were dismissed today – they ALL had to go. maybe some of them will go on to well elsewhere in the same or different capacities. But all of them together here was just not working.

At the very least, there is now hope.

For Whiz, this is what says it all – an 18-30 record since Warner left. Not a surprise, really. Hard to have success without a good QB. But as the HC, you are clearly involved in the personnel decisions at that position and you are responsible for player development at that position. Period. And that has been nothing shy of an absolute abomination here over the last three years. It started with what seemed like a total lack of decisiveness with Leinart / Anderson going into the 2010 season, it continued with the INEXPLICABLE decision to stick with Anderson as the team continued to lose game after game, and, well…it just never stopped.

Can’t really blame the organization for the failure that Kolb turned out to be. BUT I maintain that maybe the trade for Kolb may not have been an absolute necessity if we had spent more time getting a look at Skelton instead of WASTING our time with Derek Anderson. THAT was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY on Whiz, period. And, today, he paid for it. Too bad, but he did it to himself. He gets no sympathy from me.

But trading for Kolb did not have to be the only option for this team if they would just employ some of the aggressiveness and creativity shown by other teams when they TRADE UP in the draft to get the players that they identify as THE guys they need to get better. Period. Draft position is not simply dictated to you – you can move up ( or down ) according to what your needs are IF you get on the phone and make it happen. But it doesn’t happen here. Except, of course, when they NEED to trade disgruntled players like Anquan Boldin…but that’s a different story.

Recently, the Redskins went WAAAAAY out on a limb to get into position to draft Griffin. Took an awful big risk. But they needed to take that risk, they did, and it looks like they have a great QB for the next decade. Good for them. They got it right.

The year before, the Falcons identified Julio Jones as a guy that they NEEDED to get better. And they made it happen. He was a perfect addition to that team and they are better because of it. Good for them.

NO REASON why this team can’t do the same. Unfortunately, there is not a Griffin or an Andrew Luck available this year to go after. But there will be at some point, and this team has GOT to be aggressive enough to make it happen when there is. Stud QB’s are not being obtained in trades and they are not available via FA. These days, you have to get them in the draft and you have to get it right. And to get it right, you might have to PUT YOURSELF into position to get the guy that’s gonna make it happen.

We can olny hope creativity and aggressiveness will be part of how the new regime does things. After the last few years, that sure would be nice to see.

Again, at the very least, there is hope.

38. By john the draft guy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Whiz, Graves and company.

I agree with your article Darren. Whiz needs credit. Funny, when we had a QB, Grimm was considered for a head coaching spot. Warner leaves, and his guys cant block. hmmm.

Whiz’s fate was centered around 2 things in my opinion;
    1. The Kolb trade. Kolb never turned into a starting QB and was injured too much.
    2. Going another year with Kolb and Skelton instead of drafting a QB in 2012. I really think a rookie QB would have given him at least one more year.

I think 2010, he was caught off guard with Warner retiring early and not much out there in FA. I agreed with the DA move. But, I thought he put his eggs in the Kolb basket the next 2 years and now he is out.

Does that make him a bad coach? heck no. I said a few time here, I thought the team on offense would have a good game plan to start with, but lack of QB production forced a change in the plan and turned bad.

Whiz, Grimm, and company; Thanks for all you did and good luck. You are too good of coaches not to land on your feet. But if you ever become a head coach again, start by drafting a QB.

39. By Dynosoar on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I’ll throw in Urban Meyer as another favorite for head coach.

Alex Smith and Tim Tebow were great because of Coach Meyer. He has been a winning coach wherever he has been.

I remember an interview with an O-lineman when Utah went to the Tostitos Bowl and played Pitt.

“Why is this Utah team so good?”

“Because Coach Meyer expects it of us. He doesn’t make us run extra laps or anything, he just expects us to do our job. He expects us, if we want to play on this team to do what we’re supposed to do. He expects us not to fumble the ball. He expects us, if we see a fumble, to be the one that recovers it. He expects it of us.”

Arguably, that Utah team could have been National Champions if not for the beurocracy of the BCS. Urban Meyer is a great head coach.

40. By Scott H on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Rocky Green –

Andy Reid??? For our sake, I hope it never happens. After 14 years, Andy Reid was still standing up at press conf’s like a robot, answering every question with “I need to do a better job there.” Seriously. That’s all he had. And after 14 years with Philly, he never did figure out how to do a better job.

No thanks. Andy Reid will not be what you think he’s gonna be.

41. By Hugh on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Pathetic. Can you say scapegoats. I am so sick of our cheap owners They need to invest in an O line and a rreal qb. How can they expect to win games without an offense. I feel sorry for Fitzgerld who is wasting his abilities i on this Franchise. Good luck Coach Whisenhunt You will be successful elsewhere.

42. By Chuck 1 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

The firings are all for naught unless Michael IMMEDIATELY begins the interview process, NOT WITH RETREADS e.g. Reid, Turner et al, but with coaches who have experience as top performing Assistants e.g. McCoy, O’Brien (Patriots and Penn State).
    Other teams will be QUICKLY interviewing the top candidates.
    Hopefully, Michael will NOT procrastinate like Graves did when Cards’ players were injured and Graves dithered in chasing top replacements.

43. By Mike on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

We need to fire the owner and get people that know the game….PLEASE sell the team to someone who cares

44. By jeffgollin on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren – Please archive the presser for us guys who can’t hear it in real time.

45. By j on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

negative aside, thanks whiz. ups and downs ive enjoyed it. Now with that aside, plz focus on what is going on in the nfc west, east coast tactics do not work any more and we need a “name brand QB” and a complete over haul of the o line. Running back that are healthy and at a NFL level. open the wallet cuz its going to cost to keep me and alot of fans onboard post warner….whiz era, just because of how riduculous its been since kurt retired. As far as coaches go, who ever it is please do not have them run the offense cord. position. Checks and balances. Our defense is great but ADub and Dockett need a second look, it seems like they cant keep up with the speed and program anymore, both have knowledge unbeleivable in the game and both would make great assets as coaches. its a new younger league now and brains are beating strength. thanks whiz again and thanks all to the players. next year is a brand new and completely different team. I cant wait to see, Im starting early and calling a 9-7 year with a wild card spot and from there, well thats up to the team.

46. By Cactus jeff on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

My guess is GM Licht, HC Ried and bring back Kolb

47. By cardsalltheway on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

“Warner helped Whiz but Whiz helped Warner, got him to change the way he handled the pocket.”

I didn’t know Ken W. was a QB coach, doesn’t the QB coach at that time deserve any credit? What was it that Ken W. “changed” for Kurt W. anyway? Wait don’t tell me, he showed him film on how he used to do it in St. Louis and let him know he needs to do it like that again? If only Ken W. could’ve changed the way our TE’s produced since he was once a TE ~ and our OL blocked, and a whole list of other things, etc…

48. By joe67 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I think I agree with G-Bird on this one. I think Horton is not quite ready yet. I too think this def is somewhat overrated. Darn good, but not what some of you think they are. Still need some help. Also keep in mind, D-C don’t necessarily have great track records as H C.
    Whatever decision is made, lets just hope it is the right decision.

49. By Peter in Canada on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

@Tucson Card – I don’t take pleasure from seeing people lose their jobs and I think you are right. It was all about the QB.
    Whiz may have won because of Warner but no coach could win with the quality of QB that the Cards have had since Warner left. Kolb is the only one that reached mediocrity and he played less than 50% of the games. In the last 3 years I think the only ones who were available and could have helped us were Wilson and Dalton. A lot of other teams passed them up. Peyton was not a realistic possibility. I wish all the ex-coaches the best. 2008 and 2009 are a great memory.

50. By reap37 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

The end of the Whiz era has me both happy and sad. I thought the Bidwells would give him one more year. The offensive staff had to go. We still need a QB!!!!!! Horton probably deserves a chance but I’m not positive he’s up to the job. Any OC who has Peyton at QB would be suspect to me. What about Todd Haley?

51. By cardsalltheway on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

“Yes, Whiz inherited good players but he got those good players winning in a way they never had before.”

It was a thrilling but short lived hot streak after an average and inconsistent season that ultimately ended in a disappointing loss on a world stage. He couldn’t carry Marv Levy’s jock-strap even if it was duct taped to his hands.

52. By chad on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid
    I think is a good fit. We have a good D already he knows Kolb, Kolb should know his plays still.

53. By Cert 33 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

The Cards never had any shot at signing Peyton Manning. No one in their right mind coming off major surgery was going to QB behind our hopeless offensive line or try to play-action off our second rate running game. It is also so very wrong to put two young, inexperienced QB’s into that situation as well. The weekly beat-down that our one productive QB had to suffer through to “get ‘er done” was almost criminal. And that, fellow fans, can only be placed at the feet of Whiz, Miller, and Graves. The buck stops there. Our defense played at an extremely high level, especially when one takes into consideration that they were left on the field longer than any other defense in the NFL because of the endless parade of “three and outs”, also courtesy of the previously mentioned trio. I enjoyed 2008 and 2009 as much as any other Cards fan but it truly does appear that Haley and Warner were very much a part of that success. I wish Ken Whisenhunt all the best and now he can feel free to pursue his “Arizona Steelers” fantasy where it belongs, back in Pittsburg.

54. By Red cards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

All is right again in the world just need to see Grimm hit the door happy cards fan again

55. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

The “New Az Cardz” are not putting up with a losing product anymore !! Good Job to Bidwell for making the tough decisions. I know it was tough to let a good coach go, but that’s progress and this league is about WINS VS LOSSES.
    I feel good about the organizations direction when they are looking to win a SUPERBOWL AND NOTHING LESS.
    New Stadium,Great leadership, sold out crowds, hardcore fans, great players and great coaching. Nothing less.
    Signed season ticket holder.

56. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid went 130-93-1 during the regular season with nine playoff appearances, six division titles, five NFC title-game appearances and one Super Bowl showing. That is an awfully impressive resume. Guys that have that sort of winning percentage do not become available every day. I’ve expressed doubts that Reid would actually want to come work for the perpetually losing and historically frugal Bidwill family but if he’s willing I’d hire him tomorrow. Then IF we could retain Ray Horton as the DC we’d have something moving in the right direction. I know many here will disagree though for the life of me why anybody would be hesitant about a guy that is 37 games over .500 for his career and is a proven winner with his kind of resume is beyond me I’ll admit.

57. By jetstreamgreen81 on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Good riddance Whis. While you helped take us to the superbowl, (with Dennis Green’s players) the Pittsburgh West mentality was stupid. All the retreaded Steelers and the wasted plays on offense left this team offensive. As far as drafting, how can you say he was a good drafter with the 2nd LB from Connecticut last name Brown who didn’t even play a down in the league, Alan Branch another 2nd rd pick like Brown, the 2nd rd pick we didn’t get this past year because of the Kolb deal, Buster Davis in the 3rd the list goes on and on of busted draft picks. This years was the best one he had and all the players look to be good quality players or depth. Glad all the offense side is gone and need to get a Coach that will hold people accountable and not play favorites or keep good players in his dog house because he is the Whis. Ready for change and what it could bring to this team

58. By Chris Lewis on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Our next move shoud be to get rid of our OC, Mike Miller. As for players, get rid of Beanie and Skelton. I’m sort of sad to see Whiz and Graves go, but when your team is struggling for as long as Arizona has, you have to make changes. I’m also excited about the future, I’d love to see Ray Horton as our HC. If we can get a decent QB, this team will be back on track next year. Not to change the subject, but how did Washington and Zastudil not make the Pro Bowl? That’s BS for sure. Just because we finished 5-11, our pro bowl players have to suffer for it. GO CARDS!!!!!

59. By Tony on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

This blog was well thought out and well written. The managerial and coaching changes were needed and the question remaining is how does the Cardinal organization proceed from here. The defense is structurally sound and some fine tuning will move it to an elite category. The offense however needs an overhaul and that will take some time. The trick will be to bring the offense up to par while they still have a good defense. This will require two elements. The first is superior talent evaluation and the second is the money to acquire that talent.

60. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I am no Whisenhunt apologist but in my opinion anybody that thinks this bad football we’ve been suffering through is all due to him is really fooling themselves. I don’t think Whisenhunt did his best job coaching this season at all but it really does surprise me how so many folks are seemingly willing to give the players a pass on their very, very poor play. Sure there is some talent on this roster, it is the NFL after all and every team has talent but this team had breakdowns week after week and it was not all scheme, believing it was is fooling yourself IMO….There were constant breakdowns in execution and anybody that blames that fully on the coaches rather than the players is not willing to see things as they really are. Again, I think Whisenhunt had a bad season overall but I am in no way willing to blame this mess all on the coaching staff and front office….In folks zeal to persecute Ken Whisenhunt they are forgetting that it is the players on the field failing to make plays week after week…..Players are to blame and coaches are to blame for this mess.

61. By armchairgeneral on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I am very disappointed in the Cardinals for firing coach Whisenhunt. Remember, when Kevin Kolb was healthy (or not getting sacked 8+ times a game), we were undefeated. It’s not coach Whisenhunt’s fault that our starting quarterback got a season ending injury. Hmmm, let’s fire our head coach since he was clearly the one that took Kevin out yeah that makes sense! If you’re going to fire someone, fire the GM for not drafting offensive linemen.
    Also, I’m calling out Michael Bidwill for being a liar. He said he would “not make emotional decisions” and “get all the facts” after the season. Ha ha, that’s a good one, considering he fired Whisenhunt THE DAY AFTER THE SEASON ENDED! Nice integrity, Mr. Bidwell.
    I’m sorry for you Coach Whisenhunt, THIS IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!

62. By Evan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren – As you know, I’ve been harping for either Cowher or Gruden for months now – is either a (real) possibility for the Cards or is their return to coaching from tv unlikely here/elsewhere in 2013?

Also, I recall the main reason Warner was failing initially was the excessive turnovers. In my humble opinion, he should get the credit for taking the initiative (and doing the work) to correct the issue so late in his career – not the head coach saying, “…too many picks, Kurt.”

In addition, promoting Horton would be premature. Couple more years in the saddle, hit the O books (and a mentor or two) during the off-season. Horton is who he is mainly due to his defensive guru in Pittsburgh.

NFL winners these days must have an offense that’s able to put up 30 or more points week after week after week. The coach who will be successful here knows that fact… and builds a team to beat the Seahawks and ‘9ers.

63. By tyman on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid along with Ray Horton calling the D is like Andy and Jim Johnson. That’s a super bowl contending coaching staff. Mr. Bidwill would be very intelligent to make that happen. Plus Andy knows more about Kevin than most people and can make a better educated move on Kolb than someone else.

64. By BIG RED on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Dammit! all this complaining is sicking, just enjoy the moment…. GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!

65. By D-Dogg on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

First off, thanks Whiz for two amazing years of football. I’m sorry your flame burned bright but faded out. Sitting in Tampa watching us almost win a game I never thought we’d win was the greatest and worst moment of my life, rolled into one. Clearly though, it was time to end the relationship…it wasn’t working anymore, and it was ugly. Very ugly.

Second, to Mike B…please hire McCoy.

This is the guy I most want out of the stated candidates. I like that he is flexible, and can win with whatever he’s given. Peyton, Tebow, Orton. Ok. Roll the dice.

To me, one of the biggest qualities of a HC is the ability to be flexible and play your talent to the best of their abilities, and manage situations and people.

I don’t want a HC coming in to call the offensive plays, or to call the defense. I want them to manage the GAME. Hire an OC and a DC that you trust to do their jobs, and you manage the game strategy, override the OC or DC if needed, and manage your team.

McCoy’s ability to be flexible and fit his system to what was given to him, to me, is a sign of a manager of men that can become a hell of a HC. Strategic minds that flex their own system to fit the people are ultimately successful. Fitting square pegs into round holes is not.

66. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Any reason why the TE coach was spared on the offensive side? I’m curious what he did to keep his job?

Mahalo for all you do all year round!

Happy New Year!
    GO CARDS!

67. By No Apologies on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I lost my faith in Whiz. I could no longer say in Whiz I trust. The free agents brought in were horrible, the development of this team was going in the wrong direction. We were only good on one side of the ball.
    For a guy that had the final say on the players brought in, it could not have been more disappointing.
    3 years of the same press conference. We could do better. But they didn’t.
    Time to move on. Personally I would take my chances with Ray Horton. His defense loves him and it appears would do anything for him.

68. By lurker on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Do you know the percentages of successful draft picks on average for any nfl team. I think if you compated the cardinals picks to any other team you would be truly shocked how good those drafts were as far as production goes

69. By BIG RED on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Happy New Year to everybody!!! 5-11 will be 11-5 next year the prediction for 2013!!!!!! As long as kolb’s not around!!!!!

70. By Robert on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

If we do hire Andy Reid, someone better be accountable for stupid game management decisions at the end of the half and end of game. Hire someone to stand next to him that is smart enough to manage time outs and instant replay.

71. By Card shark on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

It’s not a matter of Whiz not having contributed to our past success…it’s a matter of Whiz not getting it done for the last 3 years….it had to be done….hire Horton as HC and Norm Turner as OC

72. By jocards on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I get all the talk about Whisenhunt bringing in Pittsburgh retreads, etc., etc, really I do….However we do all realize that every head coach brings in players that he is familiar with and that are familiar with what it is he is trying to get done schematically, right? Anybody that has watched the NFL for any amount of time would’ve noticed this I would think. It isn’t just Whisnehunt that does this…it happens all the time in most every organization. I know everybody wants to bash Whisenhunt but I really think we should at least keep it real and in perspective. Not everything that Ken Whisenhunt did was bad, he knows football and I personally liked his professional demeanor and level headed approach…I guess some want a few of those “they are who we thought they were” moments in front of the national media…to me that sort of thing is an embarrassment.

73. By Andy M on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Great things are possible. There is a nucleus of outstanding players and a quality QB will elevate the team. That is necessary in today’s NFL to be competitive. I am intrigued with Ray Horton. He can build a defensive dynasty. Regardless, without a quarterback, it doesn’t matter if the head coach is Lombardi reincarnated. This is more an ownership issue than GM or coach. I am impressed with Michael Bidwill’s commitment and intellect, but this is the franchise’s conundrum in 2013.

74. By Cactus jeff on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy Reid Is the man….after press conference it is even more obvious. I will translate what Bidwell said about Kolb, we think he can be a player in the west coast offense. Reid is west coast offense.

So the added benefit with Reid is he can lure cap casualties from the eagles. LT Jason Peters, DB AsomUgha, or even bringing back DRC.

75. By Havsu Tom on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren, A sad day for me, I hate losing Whiz. He brought winning to the desert and a full stadium every home game. People actual wear Cardinal red, six years ago you couldn’t hardly find a Cardinal fan here in Havasu.
    I think the Kolb experiment was his undoing, as well as Graves. Good luck to both of you.

76. By truths4all on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Wow, enough of this revisionist history! Todd Haley helped fine tune a bit of Warner’s pocket game and suggested to Warner that he try using gloves. The two-time league MVP and Super Bowl winner needed some minor tweaks, but nothing major as evidenced by checking tapes of his play from his stint with the Giants, the Denny Green years, and his time in the Wiz era. Give credit to Graves and Whiz who produced better a better overall talented group of players to go with Warner during the Cards winning seasons. But it was Warner with the support of Haley who infused the offense each week with brand new plays designed to attack the other team’s defenses. Once Warner left, that type of innovation left the Cards as well as fear of the Card Offense by their opponents,

BTW, Warner and Haley pretty much ignored Whiz’ offensive system and any attempt by Whiz to rein in Warner. Haley ran what Warner wanted to run which in essence was Warner’s St Louis Rams Greatest Show On Turf offense.

Give Warner credit for inspiring the so-so defense to rise up and play beyond their talent level since they knew that Warner’s offense could get and keep them in games.

Give Warner credit for bringing his football cred to the Cards and inspiring the entire team as well as helping them have the confidence they could play against anyone in the league. This was never more evident when Warner helped the Card players prepare for what to expect when dealing with the Super Bowl.

With what Warner brought to the field of play, the Cards won games, won NFC West titles, NFC title, and went to where no Cardinal had ever gone before – the Super Bowl. Once Warner left, the proof of how much the Cards missed Warner and exactly how good a head coach Whiz is in the records of an 8-8 year and two terrible 5-11 losing seasons.

Sure Whiz was not completely a bust, but he was close as demonstrated how he coached and ran the team without Warner as well as how Wiz could not develop QBs, tight ends, offensive linemen, pass rushers, or running backs. His feuds with players, his QB career killing mismanagement (imagine how easily Max Hall fooled Whiz just because he could talk the lingo and remember the playbook), and his player’s doghouse were destructive to the Cards. Boldin left, Warner left (failure to make improving the offensive line a priority), Edge left, as did other good players who were run off.

Let’s keep this question in mind, why did the Steelers, who value promoting from within, pass so quickly on Whiz in favor of an outsider, Mike Tomlon? What did the Steeler family know about Whiz that made it easy for them to reject Whiz for their HC position? Perhaps it is rooted in Roethlisberger’s freely given assessment that Whiz was a terrible QB coach and a so-so offensive coordinator when Roethlisberger had to play for Whiz.

77. By john the draft guy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

tyman,

yes, last time he traded him.

78. By Evan on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

@tyman – andy reid dealt kolb and the qb has been on the sidelines more than in the headlines since. do we really need reid here on the staff to make a determination again on kolb? thought he already did… kolb can win but he’s rarely in.

79. By Richard S. on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Greg Roman or Lovie Smith. Roman because the Niners offense is way more innovative than anything Arizona has shown and Lovie simply because he won 10 games and was fired.

80. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Whiz. Glad you were here, but happier to see you go. Best of luck in the future. You are a good coach. It was just time for a new direction

81. By C-Mac on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Wisenhut was never a HC. He was a cheerleader that valued rah-rah players like Anderson and Skelton over players with a brain like Warner, and yes….even Lienert.

He was often outcoached. He was poor at personnel decisions. Who he started and sat, how he evaluated his depth chart. Arizona has been gutted of any smart players, and has a collection of players considered a little slow by other scouts and teams. The Cards ended up with the cavemen, while the rest of the NFL was moving towards thinkers.

More of the roster is going to need to be revamped than most think. This coach/GM combo did more damage than most realize. It will take at least two seasons to get the stupid out of the locker-room.

82. By Corgon on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

I want Stan Heist for GM and Fred Trent as HC!!!!!! Everyone has a great idea!
    OK, Horton I think isn’t such a good idea as HC (see Romeo Crennel).Try someone else. I can’t say anything at the moment. We need a GM. He’ll name an HC. That is the order.

83. By William Barry on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Its a sad day to see Whiz and Graves leave, but our offense really needs a huge boost right now. Horton is a good DC, but not a head coach. Cant wait to see our offense next year…What good QB’s are there in the draft???? Keim should be the next GM….

84. By m morris on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

thank you Whiz for added value to this org. I personally think you should stay, that said sometimes it’s best to move on. Thanks again for adding value and being the steady hand at the helm!!

Big shoes to fill…

85. By sarah on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

Happy New Year and thanks for the great work today and in the past, you got fire hosed with info today and you did a great job getting it out there pronto ! Best in the NFL online !

Life moves on, have a drink on me, we are all healthy and happy !

Sarah

86. By cardsalltheway on Dec 31, 2012 | Reply

jocards,
    “I am no Whisenhunt apologist but…”

You sure do sound like one!

armchairgeneral,
    “I am very disappointed in the Cardinals for firing coach Whisenhunt…. Also, I’m calling out Michael Bidwill for being a liar….He said he would “not make emotional decisions”…considering he fired Whisenhunt THE DAY AFTER THE SEASON ENDED! Nice integrity, Mr. Bidwell.”

So have all the other owners around the NFL made “emotional decisions”? You do realize “Black Monday” is tradition don’t you?

Peter in Canada,
    “I don’t take pleasure from seeing people lose their jobs”

I have zero sympathy for Ken W. because he put us in and left us in this position. Moreover, I have less than zero sympathy for him since he’s getting $5.5 million dollars for doing nothing. Wouaaa wouaaa wu wu wouaaaaaaaaaa!!!

87. By louie on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

thank god, i would have been happy for graves and miller to be gone, but time for a change. All the best players came from the dennis green era, besides peterson. Whiz couldnt get along with boldin, but would rather give derrick anderson the same pay, ridicolous and it was rubbing off on some great cards players (docket and wilson: soon fitz). Bye Bye. Like I said in the past Cards all the way fan since 1990 and love the team, second to my family. hope next season is better.

88. By Kevin S on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

A little surprised Mikey pulled the plug on Whiz only because I thought he was too cheap. Someone mentioned above the Kolb trade, and then sticking with Kolb/Skelton again this year was his undoing. Perhaps, but I actually think Whiz is still employed if he hadn’t reacted so dramatically to Skelton’s missing Fitz in the ATL game… I mean, 7 passes into that game, with a lead, after what had been a decent game by Skelton, was probably not the time to switch to Lindley (who managed a whoping 64 passing yards over 3 quarters while we scored 6 more points the whole rest of the way). If Skelton stays in that game we probably win. And then Skelton probably buys himself at least a couple more starts after knocking off the team with the best record in the conference — and even though I don’t think much of Skelton as a QB, I take it as almost a given that he would’ve beaten the Jets. Those two more wins and we’re 7-9 and I think Whiz survives given the O-line, Kolb, Beanie, RW, etc. injuries. (The Feely kick vs. BUF doesn’t hit the upright as well and we’re 8-8 and he definitely survives IMO.) So while you could argue some macro-level moves did him in, I think the micro-level game-management of the QB situation in the ATL game arguably was just as significant, if you agree we’d have two more wins but for that quick yank of Skelton.

89. By JohnfromOz on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

About bloody time, mates!

90. By Campbells on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

If you can’t handle change, I hope you Tivo’d the 08 and 09 seasons. The rest of us are living in the present.
    Does anyone feel that Whiz had a guaranteed solution for next season? I think not.
    Anyone remember him taking ANY responsibility for ANY loss??? Coaches with more impressive resumes than his take ownership of their team losses.
    Some see the coaches as scapegoats. I’m sure underachieving players will be dealt with by the new regime.
    As for Warner’s success; Kurt already had a superbowl ring. Whiz didn’t teach him how to be a QB.
    I’m sure nobody really wanted him fired. Action had to be taken for the benefit of the organization and fan base. Not a personal thing.
    I’m excited about the prospect of being a contender. I’m excited about next season again!

91. By Cert 33 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I agree with the previous poster that claimed it was Haley and Warner ignoring Whiz and sticking to the old St. Louis Ram’s “greatest show on turf” offense in 2008 and (Warner only) in 2009. When Warner retired, Whiz reverted to the Steeler’s offense and somehow forgot that it requires a Steeler’s caliber offensive line and a trio of Steeler’s caliber running backs. Whiz was in way over his head in putting together an offense while Horton was absolutely prospering on the other side of the ball. Can you imagine how dominant our defense will be when they are matched up with an offense that can move the chains and keep the defense fresh? Scary. I hope Horton is the new HC of the Cards. I would not like to see Andy Reid come here unless it was as an OC and I think there are some way better OC’s out there than Reid. McCoy and Turner come to mind.

92. By Danny on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Great to see Wisenhut finally got the axe. He never gave Skelton a chance to show his skills, he was outstanding with Fordham. Even the best QB ‘s get intercepted like the Mannings, Breises etc. but you keep them in the game so they can improve. Wisenhut played too many games so I celebrate the New Year on his FIRING. HORRAY!!!!

93. By BIG RED on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Thank You, Kevin S. I actually and finally agree with you.

94. By jocards on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

You pull less than one sentence from an entire paragraph and make what you think is a clever remark to back up a completely off base assessment.… If you actually read and understood the post you’d see that I stated more than once that Whisenhunt didn’t do a great job this season….Being as I have respect for other posters and their point of view, including yours I will refrain from saying what you sound like.

95. By Brad on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren, i enjoy your articles where you get the information across, not so much when you try to disagree with fans opinions (the Warner / Whiz paragraph), there was no need for that, take out that 3rd paragraph and it was a great article, it’s not your place to challenge fans opinions

96. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Opinions

So it’s OK for the fans to challenge my opinions and not the other way around? Sorry, you lose me with that logic.

It’s my blog. I think I can drive it the way I’d like.

97. By Brad on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren, the articles you place up on the site should not be biased to a particular opinion, they should be the facts. If a fan challenges you in comments in the blog I think you have every right to reply in the comments, my comment is in regards to the bias of some of your articles, and using the term ‘So many want to say’ in the above article I felt was to attack some particular fans opinion, which feels quite out of place on an Arizona Cardinals website (when it is not in direct response to a comment aimed at you). Cardinals fans should not be made to feel ostracized by articles published on the Cardinals website. Perhaps you made that comment in regards to particular fans that have challenged your opinion on that matter, but that phrase didn’t just target those, it targeted every Cardinal fan that has that opinion, most likely many of which haven’t forced their opinion on you.

98. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Brad —

RE: Blog

Articles are articles on the homepage. The blog is mine. That includes opinions. Sorry if you disagree.

99. By Brad on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I guess i just thought the idea of a Cardinals website and it’s associated blogs was to make fans feel welcome and keep them coming back.

100. By Ron Sellmeyer on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

When are we hiring a GM so he can have input on the coach, unless they have already decided on Keim. What it should be is Horton Head Coach and Todd Haley Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. I don’t know if any of Cardinals defensive coaches could be promoted to Coordinator and have Horton also heavily involved with the defense. If not Haley see if Norv turner would come in at that position. Both Haley and Turner have struggled as Head coaches, but done well as Coordinators.

101. By azrebel on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

for the people who think wiz should have one more year . do you realize he had one winning season over .500 and from 2007 to 2012 total win % ofl .469
    poor daft and trades wiz traded are run game away for a def back up

wiz passed up on a Kellen Moore Highly intelligent and has been extremely productive, making very few mental mistakes. Very smart and plays like an offensive coordinator on the field. Extremely accurate with above average ball placement ? puts the ball where he wants and understands where it needs to be. Plays with infectious confidence, allowing his teammates to feed off of his poise and fearlessness. Always keeps his eyes downfield and works through his progressions very quickly, making snap decisions. Bright individual who breaks down information in a flash and reads defenses well with very good pre-snap recognition ? knows what to look for with a firm grasp on situations and scenarios. Good short-to-intermediate arm strength with beautiful touch. Very good feel and comfort level in the pocket, maneuvering his way to avoid pressure. Very even-keeled and never panics ? always in control of his emotions. Has a knack for finding the open target

for 4.4 yd passer like Ryan Lindley and he got a strong am longest was 28 yds