Interview schedule and Reid reports

Posted by Darren Urban on January 1, 2013 – 3:52 pm

The Cardinals interviewed defensive coordinator Ray Horton Tuesday for the head coaching spot. They are scheduled to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy Saturday in Denver. They have reached out to former Eagles coach Andy Reid to set up an interview, but one has yet to be set.

The latter is an important point, after multiple reports, including many nationally, indicated Tuesday Reid becoming the next Cards’ coach was all but done. Is Reid becoming coach in Arizona going to happen? Maybe. He was always one of the first three candidates — president Michael Bidwill said that Monday. But it would seem that, until an interview takes place and until important details are fully discussed, it’d be hard to say anything was close to being done. We’ll see. It’s possible Reid will be the guy, but after Bidwill just sat in his press conference Monday afternoon saying this wasn’t going to happen at “lightning speed,” it’s odd that it seemed to have happened at lightning speed.

UPDATE: Adam Schefter was one of many who reported the closeness of Reid to the job and later quoted someone calling it “95 percent” done. Here was his tweet later Tuesday: “One source close to Andy Reid insisted deal w/ Cards not close. Another source said Cards search open and no leading candidate at this time.” A significant change.

Tweet of the day came from Cards’ VP of media relations Mark Dalton, perhaps the most underrated Tweeter out there: “I’m 99% sure that reports of a deal being 95% done are 100% incorrect #azcards

– In the meantime, VP of player personnel Steve Keim is reportedly going to interview for the Chargers’ GM spot. Horton is slotted to also interview with the Browns and Bills. And the wheels keep turning in the whole process.

Tags: , , ,

66 Responses to “Interview schedule and Reid reports”

1. By hummer53 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Mike Sando of NFC West blog for ESPN doesn’t seem to have a issue running with the story. We shall see obviously.

2. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Cradinals gotta make this happen, if they dont Lovie Smith needs to be brought in, I have faith the Cards will sign Andy Reid, or do I?

3. By Bill on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

For now, we need to do whatever is conceivably possible to keep Ray Hortons braids on the Cardinals sideline. Other than that, GM is going to be more important right now than head coach… whoever gets the coaching job will need an all new offensive to do something with.

4. By Brett n Co. on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren, just a quick question, there is a rumor that maybe even Mike Holgrem might be interested, has his name been tossed around or just rumor? Thank you Darren for all the hard work.

5. By oscar on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

i checked that espn said that reid has 95% chance of cardinal HC

6. By Andy Kw on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

If Andy Reid is hired, please don’t bring in GM Tom Heckert. I’d rather have Keim be the GM. I’m fine if this team hires Pat Shurmur as our Quarterbacks coach. I hope Ray Horton stays as our Defensive Coordinator because we won’t find one that is better than him right now. For Brad Childress, I recommend we don’t bring in Cleveland style offense but he can be hired to coach our O’Line because he worked with the successes of Adrian Peterson and Trent Richardson. We should hire Cam Cameron as our Offensive Coordinator and back away from Norv Turner at all costs. Steve Keim has done well evaluating College players except QB for the draft, but I expect this year for the past 6 seasons, for our team to have one of the best drafts in the NFL. Steve Keim drafted O’Brien Schofield, Andre Roberts, and Sam Acho (Look how they turned out, they’re fantastic). Steve Keim should be our General Manager. If Horton becomes our Head Coach, that would be great as well. These are the only coaches this team should hire as our Head Coach: (1) Andy Reid, (2) Ray Horton, (3) Kyle Shanahan, (4) Lovie Smith. Forget hiring Mike McCoy, he is a great coach but not for this organization.

7. By John S on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

“after multiple reports, including many nationally, indicated Tuesday Reid becoming the next Cards’ coach was all but done” Are you basing your comment “it’s odd that it seemed to have happened at lightning speed.” off of these so called rumors? I’m surprised you of all people doing that. Like you said they haven’t even interviewed yet no one knows that its “all but done”.

8. By D.Robles on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I am all for Andy Reid as Head Coach. GO CARDS!!!

9. By sarah on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Try internationally. I think Reid would be a bad move, his best days are behind him.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Brett —

RE: Holmgren

Holmgren has said he would listen to any team who wants him. I have not seen any reports saying a team was actually interested.

11. By Judy on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Get Andy Reid in here now,PLEASE.

12. By dreadfantasy on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

The CBS Article claims multiple NFL sources, but in addition to Reid, Jason La Canfora also adds Heckert and Shumer to the Rumor….

All of these men are Represented by Agent Bob Lamonte.

Ergo, Reid’s agent is likely at least one of these sources…his friends in the industry his multiples.

13. By Somu on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I second Sarah. Reid is a bad move. His problems last year in Philadelphia mirror that of Whiz. How is this move in anyway good? Even worse, Kolb and he have done nothing spectacular in their short tenure together.

Reid not being a choice is a no brainer. This is by no means is any indication of his great career he has had elsewhere. I am not even going to dispute that.

14. By dan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Oh man…………….would LOVE to have Andy Reid. Later Whiz

15. By In fitz we trust on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Deja vu of the Todd Haley offensive cordinator momentum last offseason; it never happened.

I’m hoping for the same results. I’m all for lovie, not Andy.

16. By dan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

That red stash would look great in Cardinal red.

17. By Scott H on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Ya know….living in South Jersey, right in the Eagles backyard, and having had a front row seat to the Andy Reid era in Philly, I can give ya PLENTY of reasons why we DON’T want him here. But…what’s the point? From a distance, I’m sure Reid looks like a great choice. From up close? Be afraid, my friends. Be VERY afraid.

Because if you take a closer look, you would see that the Eagles have been in steady decline over the past 3 years or so, just as the Cardinals were. The fact is, that the best years of the Andy Reid era in Philly took place when he had an EXCELLENT D-coordinator in Jim Johnson, many veteran leaders on that side of the ball ( guys like Troy Vincent, Brain Dawkins, Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, etc ), and McNabb when he actually WAS a very good QB.

Then, look what happened. All of those things eroded away ( sadly, Jim Johnson passed away from cancer, his last game being the NFC title game here in Arizona ) and the Eagles went NOWHERE BUT DOWN. Andy Reid was able to do nothing to right the ship over the past few years and it all crash landed this season. Reid made several DISASTROUS decisions regarding coaches and players that paved the way to a 4-12 season.

Need an example? How ’bout the hiring of Howard Mudd to be their D-line coach, then after finding that NO ONE wanted to be their D-coordinator because NO ONE wanted to deal with Mudd, promoting their – ready for this? – O-line coach ( juan Castillo ) to be the D-coordinator? Really, you can’t make this stuff up! Castillo NEVER COACHED DEFENSE IN HIS LIFE, yet here he is, suddenly a d-coordinator in the NFL. Brilliant! Not surprisingly, this did not work. Their D has been pathetic, they fired poor Castillo around mid-season, THEN fired Mudd a few weeks later when it was quite apparent HE was really the problem, and Reid admitted to all of these mistakes. By the way, between the firings of Castillo and Mudd, they also released Jason Babin ( who led the NFL in sacks the year before but somehow fell off the map last year ).

And all of this happened under the leadership of Andy Reid. I’m telling you folks, you have NOOOOOO idea what you think your seeing when you look at this guy. But…whatever.

Here’s the comparison – Vince Young has a winning record as a staring QB in the NFL. So, he would be great choice to be your next QB, right? So…why is it that no one wants anything to do with him??? The moral of the story is that what you see on the surface ain’t always what you’re getting.

CANNOT beleive we are not looking at Lovie Smith…then again, maybe I do considering the organization we’re talking about here. Sigh…

18. By Dynosoar on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Of the 7 head coaches let go, I’d look elsewhere. (“Unless they re-hire the Whiz.” he said while grinning broadly.)

My thoughts on the Reid – Kolb connection, Reid benched Kolb in favor of Vick and then traded him. Then again, for those who want Kolb gone, maybe hiring Reid is the best choice. If Reid is the best man to get the most out of Kevin as QB, why didn’t he do it in Philly?

Lovie has been on the chopping block in Chicago for several seasons now; I just don’t see him as our man.

Todd Haley, really? If he’s hired I’ll support him, but really? Everyone says Whizenhunt was only great because of Warner. If we use the same standard, what has Todd Haley done since he left Warner that would show he’s the next HC? Kansas City? Pittsburgh this season? What? I just don’t see it.

From what I’ve been reading, my Head Coach wish list with DC and OC is below (I know this is my wish list so please agree/disagree at will)

1. Dynosoar – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Kurt Warner – OC (C’mon, it’s my wish list.)
    Dynosoar – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Off. staff hired from posters to this site!
    2. Kurt Warner – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Chip Kelly – OC
    6. Ray Horton – HC, ??? – DC and Kurt Waner – OC
    Ray Horton – HC, ??? – DC and Chip Kelly – OC
    Ray Horton – HC, ??? – DC and Norv Turner – OC
    7. Mike McCoy – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Kurt Warner – OC
    Mike McCoy – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Chip Kelly – OC
    Mike McCoy – HC, Ray Horton – DC and Norv Turner – OC

I know great players don’t always make great coaches (Russ Grimm, Mike Singletary), but sometimes they do (Ray Horton). Let’s get Kurt Warner out of television and back into Cardinals Red.

I love the idea of Ray Horton as a head coach and depending on his answer to the following question, would move him up or down on my list.

“With what you’ve done to mold this defense into an elite (or almost elite) unit and your previous statement about wanting to win a Super Bowl as a DC, what is your plan to keep the defense at this level of performance, or to improve it, if you’re head coach and not the DC?”

19. By In fitz we trust on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Horton will get a few HC interviews because of the Rooney rule. I doubt he becomes a HC. The only team dumb enough would be us to hire him as HC

20. By Scott H on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Oops, just realized a rather humorous typo in my last entry…Obviously, I meant to refer to Vince Young as a STARTING QB, not a staring QB. lol

Oh, my…

21. By clssylssy on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Fans are deluding themselves in they think this ownership cares about anything more than filling seats. Bringing in a coach who had a worse season that the Cards just to accomodate an over priced QB who hasn’t even been healthy enough to play 50% of his games since signing at the expense of a top defense is beyond unthinkable. and leaves me totally numb. This entire Black Monday chapter is a nightmare that I do not expect this team to recover from anythime soon. According to Twitter Whisenhunt AND Horton are being considered by the Bills and the idea is so unbelieveable that it’s probably true. It’s like everything good that has occured since the Cards went to the Superbowl has been destroyed in one fell swoop. It takes time to build respect in the NFL and we were about to be able to hold our heads up without feeling like the standing joke. If Mr. Bidwell were truely serious abpit ,alomg tjos a voab;e framcjose je wpi;d be looking at Lovie Smith, Kyle Shanahan, Jon Gruden, Kurt Warner or other respected coaches known for their touch ground and pound philosophy or skill at assessing talent…of course, it might cost money but the benefits would be more lasting. Kolb and Reid don’t have that much left in the tank even though they might be good guys.

22. By Madriffs on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Michael Bidwill made it clear that he is not ready to give up on Kolb and the perfect coach to spark Kolbs career is Andy Reid. I can definately see Reid becoming the Cards coach. My only question is, can Andy Reid fix the O-line? cause last I checked the Eagles O-line wasn’t any better than the Cardinals’. As far as the Defense, it would be great to see Horton back next season but Reid has had some pretty dominant D’s in the past so I don’t see that as a problem if Horton takes a HC position.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren, Cards have to apply the Rooney Rule to the open GM position as well, correct?
    Any ideas on who is competently eligible?

24. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Have the Cards interviewed Keim yet? If not, do they have a date/time scheduled for an interview?

25. By iammattyoung on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

While I like Andy Reid, I think that you have more to gain by cutting Kolb, saving the $11 million, and signing a guy like Matt Moore, who has put up almost identical number to Kolb. For the same $11 mil, you can sign Moore and a left tackle like Jake Long or Ryan Clady. Move Levi to LG, cut Colledge, use the $5 mil you save there to sign Rashard Mendenhall as a power compliment to Ryan Williams, and draft the pass rushing DE/OLB you need with the 7th pick.

26. By Dennis on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Given the Cardinals track record on coaches, they will find a way to muck it up.

27. By Terry E on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

One comment I heard thru the media is that the Eagles are looking for the new breed of coach. Is this something we should consider? s Andy Reid a dinasour?I Does Ray Horton fit that mold? I am not sure if we are better off with the old proven coach or the up and coming D-Coordinator. I think keeping Horton as D-Coordinator will be tough with 6 other head coach openings out there. If neither work out I would go as my third choice of Lovie Smith. I was hoping we would keep Whisenhunt and Graves. Putting Graves in a reduced role and bring in a proven GM (whos to say this wasn’t offered) I would have force Whisenhunt to hire a prove Offensive Coordinator, I think this was part of the issue. I also think the one thing I can agree with and buy into the need for a change is Whisenhunts input into the QB situation going all the way back to how Leinart was handled.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Rooney GM

I do believe it is in place, although I am not sure how it applies if you choose to promote someone from within.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Keim

I don’t know if they have. Nothing has been announced.

30. By Terry E on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren, do you feel Whiz or Graves was offered any conditions to stay on, especially Graves such as a reduced role?

31. By Bill L on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

REID is a GOOD SIGN……..if the Cards are serious. He is a hot commodity and would not be going to a franchise whose primary concern is mediocrity and the bottom line. He is good with QB’s and O…….needs help from a GOOD DC.

If the Cards are serious and Reid is serious about the Cards…….it can be viewed as nothing but a VERY GOOD SIGN!

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Terry E —

RE: Reduced roles

No, I do not believe they were. Bidwill said that didn’t happen with Whiz, specifically.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Could be wrong Darren and I usually am, but I thought unless the in-house candidate is a minority then the clause still is needed.
    Now that the Reid interview is scheduled for tomorrow, any reason to think the process will drag on further than this weekend?

34. By Rio on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I I love Andy Reid, just hope he won’t bring the dog killer with him.

35. By Matt on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe that people are judging Reid over the last two years in Philly. He was a victim of circumstance and never should’ve been coaching last season in the first place. People forget that his son died before the season. The man went to the playoffs 9 times outta 14 years. He’d be a good fit here because he doesn’t have primadonnas do deal with. Plus, the Arizona market is not as demanding as Philly.

36. By BIG RED on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Please not andy reid or todd haley.

37. By Rhonda on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Please No Andy Reid! I hate the idea of Andy Reid coaching the cards!

38. By Jzoully on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Here is the issue, I don’t think Kevin Kolb is the answer at quarterback, and just because you have spent money on him doesn’t mean you keep spending money on a disappointment so instead of repeating the cycle of what Philadelphia did, bring in a new coach like Kyle Shanahan, or Mike McCoy. I like McCoy so much that I would say that guy would take us to the playoffs immediately.

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Weekend

Depends, I suppose. If you buy that Reid will be the choice, maybe not. I think McCoy will get his Saturday interview, though. That’s my gut.

40. By dynasty1717 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

I think we need to target McCoy. For goodness sake, they guy actually won games with Tebow! Of course I would not be in favor of bringing him over if his QB solution would be to bring in Tebow, but I think he is smarter than that. Clearly, if he can adopt an offensive strategy around two totally different playing styles and talent levels as Tebow and Manning and be successful with each, then we must take a hard look at bringing him in. My second choice would be Horton. The players like and respect him and play hard for him. My concern with him would be who he would target to run the offense, and his overall leadership abilities. As for Reid, he has clearly had success and I wouldn’t hate having him here. However, like others have already mentioned, his best days seem to be behind him. He has made some major mistakes recently with coaches and players that mimic problems we were having here. Also, I don’t like the idea of having some coaches come in that have been tied to Reid (Childress, Shurmur). Reid is a good coach. But remember, Good is the enemy of Great.

41. By Patrick Eagan on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

i trust michael bidwell do the right thing, and support his decision for which ever candidate he picks. Go Cardinals.

42. By D.Robles on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Wherever Andy Reid goes, He will win a Super Bowl. Look at his resume, He’s figured out all the ways not to win. I’m not saying he’s the Guru Head Coach, but I think wherever he goes he will win.

43. By Jerry on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

With Horton having a few choices we may be looking for a DC to.

44. By georgiebird on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Reid and Horton are not good enough to get the Cardinals to surpass the 49ers and the Seahawks. Michael Bidwill needs to get some major talent in here for GM and HC because modest success won’t work right now in the NFC West.
    When Whiz was hired, the NFC West was in free fall. The resurgence of Kurt Warner (velcro gloves- now used by Peyton Manning) was enough to propel the Cards to the top of the Division.
    The dynamics of the NFC West are totally different now. The Bidwills have to get it right under very tough circumstances-it won’t be as easy as it was six years ago.

45. By Chris on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t whiz beat Reid twice? Lol

46. By ndpenner on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m kinda torn. I want Horton running the D for now (HC is in his future), but I don’t want to lose him to another team if we hire someone else to be HC

47. By Daniel on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Hello Darren

Do you think that Cards will go for Horton?

Look what he have done to our defensiv line in just 1-2 years.

I hope that they consider him as HC.

Because he can still contribute to DC.

So i think it would be important that we get him the HC spot cause he deserve it

and i know he doesn’t have any experience to do it. but every thing has a start.

Get Mccoy as OC.

48. By JohnfromOz on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Go international – bring in Kevin Sheedy!

49. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

My vote is Ray Horton as Head Coach and Mike McCoy as Assist Head Coach and OC. Or switched position as long as they are both here.
    Go Red Birds.

50. By philly cards 1994- on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We should have fired whiz last year. You don’t lose like that every year 4 games in a row and then suddenly become lombardi. Now we have to fight with 6 other teams.

If andy reid comes I’m finished 18 yrs starting with buddy.ill go full circle I guess.

Andy and bad decisions? The feds just closed an investigation into his drug addicted sons death. To help him after his conviction my reid allowed him access to the training room.he died at training camp in the dorm. The man in beyond negligent.

his success was the road map whiz used- dominate a weak division. He made eli manning and tony romo.

51. By Cert 33 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree that all signs point to the fact that Andy Reid’s best days are behind him. Of course, that is no disgrace, it happens to all great coaches (Landry, Flores, Gibbs, etc…) Do we really want the terminated coach of the only NFC team that was worse than us? Think about it. I think Keim and Horton will do the job just fine with the right OC. Besides this is probably a moot point, since I don’t watch ESPN’s gossipers for my info, all I have heard via non- ESPN sources is that Reid is focused on the Charger HC vacancy. Let’s promote those that have been successful within our own organization now that we are rid of those who were not.

52. By Dynosoar on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

1. Kurt Warner
    2. Urban Meyer
    3. Brian Kelly
    4. Chip Kelly
    5. Ray Horton
    6. Mike McCoy

Again, depending on how Ray Horton would handle the vacated DC position if he was named Head Coach, I’d definately move him up, I just would hate losing him where he’s at.

We need the best offensive coordinator available and Kurt Warner is my first choice there. Followed by Chip Kelly and then Norv Turner.

I’d say Mike McCoy, but I don’t see him moving from one OC position to another, not sure league rules would allow it. Also, I’m not sure Chip Kelly would give up his Head Coaching position at Oregon for an OC position.

Lots of factors in the mix.

Would Ray Horton stay as SC if another Head Coach was named, then we lose him because we’re trying to keep him. What a conundrum.

Still,

Warner as Head Coach or OC. Urban Meyer has taken every team I’ve known him to be with from mediocrity or even very good to undefeated within a season or two. And he’s done it with Alex Smith and Tim Tebow. You’ve got to admire that.

Darren, how does one get a resume in to the Cardinals orginization for Head Coach? Do I have to have an agent? I’ve been a coach for a number of years, just not at the NFL or NCAA level.

53. By jocards on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Now that most folks here got what they wanted with the firing of Whisenhunt and Graves I thought a little perspective might be in order. The running mantra here is that Whisenhunt only won because of Kurt Warner and I suppose that’s true to a degree. No coach wins without good players and it is extremely difficult to have a lot of success without good QB play. Warner certainly had a lot to do with the Cardinals brief success; there can be no argument about that. Manning has had a lot to with the success of the Broncos this season and with the success of the Colts before that, that much is obvious….Does anybody that think that Mike McCarthy’s record would be as good as it is if he didn’t have Aaron Rodgers under center? Would he have reached the playoffs and won a Super Bowl with John Skelton at QB? Criticism of Whisenhunt in the area of identifying QB talent and developing it is fair to some extent IMO but the argument about only winning because of standout QB play could be applied many times over throughout the NFL…..Good players make for good coaches. In the end I think it was time for this organization to move on and I wish coach Whisenhunt well.

54. By GoCards2013 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Please do not sign Reid and Get Rid of Kolb, Neither one will help us get back to the Playoffs. I have been a season ticket holder for (13 years I think but will not renew with Reid as a new head coach), I have no faith in his style. Horton deserves a chance.

55. By srg608 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Been an Eagles Fan since the 60’s, and although I agreed that it was time for a change, I think Andy Reid is a great coach and the Cardinals will be lucky to get him. Great offensive mind, amazing ability to get the most from his quarterbacks, and puts the right emphasis on OL/DL (the trenches). If you want to change your teams mindset and be a regular in the post-season, you can’t get much better than Andy. We still appreciate you Andy, best of luck!!

56. By Dennis on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I’d take Andy Reids track record over Hortons anyday. You can’t compare the two. Horton maybe deserves a chance to be a Head Coach somewhere; but comparing him to Andy Reid is like Steak to Chicken.

57. By iammattyoung on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I like Andy Reid, but I am a bit perplexed by the idea that Reid automatically makes this a playoff team?! The idea that Reid can “fix” Kolb is outrageous, because Reid has never “fixed” anyone — not Koy Detmer, not AJ Feeley, not Vince Young, not Nick Foles. Donovan McNabb was the second pick in the draft, and is on the bubble as a Hall of Famer, not necessarily because of Reid.

I’m not sure if Reid is even an improvement over Whisenhunt. Over the last three years, Reid is 22-26 to Whisenhunt’s 18-30. That’s not a huge difference, especially considering that Whisenhunt’s QBs the last 3 years have been Derek Anderson, Max Hall, Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, and Brian Hoyer, while Reid has had Michael Vick. Not to mention, Reid had far superior running backs to anything the Cards have ever had.

Look, Reid will do fine if he’s brought in, but if it means losing Horton, that’s a problem. Who do we go out and get to replace him? Do we let Andy Reid make that decision? He certainly messed it up in Philly with the folks he hired and fired there.

Fortunately, I have a feeling that Horton won’t end up moving into a head coaching position this year. The teams that have interviewed him so far are teams that are undergoing QB transitions themselves, and hiring a guy who’s never worked on the offensive side of the ball could be a problem (see Rex Ryan). That pretty much rules out Buffalo, Cleveland, Kansas City, and Philly. The Cards’ own QB issues might also explain why they won’t ultimately promote Horton themselves.

58. By LW on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I like the fact that Michael Bidwell is hiring the next coach before he secures the GM possition. To me it appears he is making an effort to be a more “hands on” owner. I like it. I trust he build us a winner. Andy Reid will rise to relevance again with our team. Remember, we are RB/OL away from competing for a SB. Go Cards!

59. By Happy Card Fan 2013 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Rio and not only is Vick a dog killer he now is labeled as the ultimate coach killer. Hope Whizzy poo gets a job so his pay comes off what Cards owe that BUM.

60. By Cardsgirl on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

No, no, no to Andy Reid. The Cardinals trounced them most of the times we have played (except Thanksgiving in Philly a few years ago–when Kurt was still there). How can Michael B want to hire a coach who has faced the same issues as the Cards the last few years with the same results. Both coaches are reportedly loyal to a fault. We need a new direction and, perhaps a hungrier coach than Andy Reid.

I like what Ray Horton has to say and believe the players will really play for him. He gets my vote.

The reports at the national level these past few days, both on-line and hard copy are ridiculous. Did they not listen to Michael Bidwill say that he is not going to be hurried into making a rash decision. The media had the Cards signing Andy Reid even before an interview had been set up. So, I am not going to get too excited until more than one interview has been conducted. (That being said, as a season ticket holder with a contract, I may abrogate that contract myself if they hire Andy Reid.) Just kidding, but I had hoped that Coach Whiz would get to coach out his contract, then I would have had only one year under a new coach (if it happened) and could make my decision on renewing my contract depending on whether I liked the coach and how successful he was. This from a fan perspective.

61. By Scott H on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Matt –

My friend, Andy Reid was a victim of NOTHING but his own arrogance and poor judgement.

And believe me when I tell you that arrogance is a word VERY often used among Eagle fans and media to describe this man. He coached their team for 14 years. Who do you think knows more about this – them or you??? I’m going with them.

There are several other alternatives that are better then Andy Reid. I hear he is to interview with the Chiefs. I pray they keep him there so we have to look elsewhere, I really do.

I still say Norv Turner as our nest O-coordinator should be the first priority and then a defensive-minded HC such as a Lovie Smith or Mike Zimmer.

Heck, I would even rather give Horton a shot if the alternatives were either losing him to another team or Andy Reid.

62. By jocards on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

I am not trying to create an argument with you but a number of Eagles players have spoken out in support of Andy Reid. Now if choosing which side to believe between the fans/media and the players themselves I’ll believe the players. Be that as it may, personality aside Andy Reid has a career record of 130-93-1….that’s 37 games over .500…37 games over….and in the NFL winning is really what it is all about. Six division titles, nine playoff appearances and one trip to the Super Bowl. When you say that there are several other better alternatives on what exactly do you base that assertion? I know you don’t like him and that’s fine but to dismiss a guy with his resume from consideration would be unwise IMO. I respect your opinion but I disagree with you one this one.

63. By Cardinals2005 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

64. By clssylssy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I feel I’m in good company and not that far off as Mike Florio wrote
    …*: the possibility of the Cardinals hiring Reid isn’t sitting well with ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio, a veteran reporter who has covered the Eagles for a long time.“So I don’t know why the Bidwills would want to hire a guy who they just, you know, they killed the team when they were out there. It was one of the most embarrassing performances by the Eagles all year long. So, frankly, I was shocked that there was that much interest.”
    “Well, my initial reaction was the last time the Eagles visited Arizona they got their head handed to them by a Cardinals team who fired their coach,”
    He further went on to speculate about the possibility of Reid bring Donovan McNabb back in as a backup…something that hadn’t occurred to me although many have kidded that we would probably end up with Michael Vick!
    At some point, it seems, a person just has to laugh at the absurdity of the situation least they end up wanting to lock themselves in a dark room with two buck chuck and coloring their face with lipstick!

65. By anonymous1 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Just a little heads up I found interesting, I know for a fact that lovie smith will be in town tomorrow for 6-7 hours and than is flying out again at 4pm. Why else would he be here that short amount of time other than to interview for the job? I know nothing has been reported but I am in a position to know with 100% accuracy that Lovie and his wife are coming into town in that time frame.

2. Jan 2, 2013: Post-Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals news: Coaching rumors firing up FEATURED POST | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog