• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Horton’s Norv Turner connection

Posted by Darren Urban on January 2, 2013 – 2:41 pm

First, a disclaimer: I have zero idea whom Ray Horton — if he were hired as Cardinals’ head coach — would hire as his offensive assistants, including coordinator. Horton said he knows who he would have on his staff, but alas, he isn’t sharing those names. This next anecdote, then, might just be an interesting story and nothing more.

But, for those asking, Horton not only has a strong connection with former Chargers head coach-and-pretty-good-offensive-coordinator Norv Turner, but a memorable moment too. Horton was finishing his playing days as a defensive back with the Dallas Cowboys in 1991 and 1992, which were the first two of Turner’s three seasons as OC for the juggernaut Cowboys back in the day.

Horton explained their relationship, which I chronicled back in a story when Horton arrived in Arizona in 2011:

The greatest compliment Horton said he ever received came from Norv Turner, who was the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys during Horton’s playing days in Dallas. As Horton’s NFL career came to a close, Turner – who figured to get a head coaching opportunity soon – asked Horton to be on his staff, whenever that might be.

Horton was perplexed. He talked to a lot of coaches in Dallas, but they were defensive coaches, given Horton’s position. He hadn’t interacted with Turner nearly enough to produce an invitation to work for him. Turner told him he wanted Horton because all the Dallas defensive coaches spoke so highly of him – and that willingness from Turner sticks with Horton to this day.

When Turner ended up as the Washington Redskins head coach in 1994, he indeed brought Horton aboard. Horton was on Turner’s staff for three seasons as a assistant defensive backs coach and defensive assistant before he was plucked to be defensive backs coach in Cincinnati. So yes, there is definitely a connection with Horton and Turner. Does that mean Horton would reach out to Turner to be OC? Again, no way to know. But it wouldn’t be a shock given their history.

– More updates on the general manager front. I’d expect in-house candidate Steve Keim to be interviewed this week. Keim is also reportedly going to interview for the GM jobs in both San Diego and Jacksonville. Tim Graham also reported that the Cardinals will interview Redskins director of pro personnel Morocco Brown — he’s held his post for five years — for the GM job. The Rooney Rule also governs general manager searches, and Brown would fulfill that requirement for the Cards. Coincidentally, Brown, like Keim, played football at North Carolina State (although Keim was gone by the time Brown arrived there.) UPDATE: The Brown interview has been confirmed.

Tags: , , , ,

60 Responses to “Horton’s Norv Turner connection”

1. By D on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I would think Chicago would be more exciting for Norv with Cutler than what AZ has to offer. I guess if Norv doesnt’ get any offers from Dallas or a team with a proven QB, then my vote would be for a Horton and Norv Combo over all other candidates…but I am skeptical that could be pulled off.

2. By ndpenner on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I could handle a Horton HC Turner OC scenario. :)

3. By erik on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Great article about Horton on the homepage. From all I have seen and heard he just seems like a good guy. A guy that players would play their butts off for. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

4. By Nor cal cards fan on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Any chance you could post the Ray Horton presser from earlier today?

5. By JB on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

i did’nt know the conection but that’s what I was saying yesterday. Horton as HC and Turner as OC. Maybe Reid as GM. But I still like Polian better

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Horton

There was no presser. I talked to him on the phone. He did some impromptu meetings with media.

7. By Tim on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

If Norv is coming (a big if), one option is to bring in/trade for Alex Smith. He had one if his best seasons in SF when Norv was OC.

8. By Andy Kw on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I can envision both Andy Reid and Ray Horton so either is acceptable. If Norv Turner is hired, as much as I don’t like it, he does understand West Coast style offense so I guess I wouldn’t mind as much. I still want Cam Cameron to be the Offensive Coordinator. Andy Reid is a great coach with good experience.
    -Whoever takes over needs to find a good Wide Receivers Coach. Larry Fitzgerald is the clear cut #1 Wide Receiver but for the #2 spot, we drafted Michael Floyd for a reason. Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts should battle it out during the off season for the #2 Wide Receivers spot.
    -Early Doucet’s time with the Arizona Cardinals will come to an end. With his injuries and tendency to drop the ball, we need to find a true #4 Wide Receiver but if no one that we draft is better or we pick up from free agency is better, then we should stick with Doucet for 1 more year.
    -For Kevin Kolb, I am 100% certain Ray Horton or Andy Reid can transform him into the QB our team has been looking for. Since Brian Hoyer is set to be a free agent, I don’t think this team will plan to resign him although I would love for him to come back. With QB John Skelton’s inaccuracy and QB Ryan Lindley’s inability to move the offense, I expect both to go. Ryan Lindley was Whisenhunt’s QB project but failed to produce any results. Skelton showed many flashes of potential stardom but seemed to be as inaccurate as ever. This team will be in search for a #2 and #3 QB. I don’t see Michael Vick coming here whatsoever.
    -Beanie Wells will forever be our starter. Our O-Line will have a drastic improvement with Levi Brown returning as starter for left tackle. I expect Beanie Wells to return and for LaRod Stephens Howling returning. Ryan Williams might be back but if he doesn’t get healthy he will be cut. William Powell should return too but since our rushing attack ranked 32nd in the NFL, I expect Howling and Powell to duke it out for the #3 spot. Anthony Sherman might remain the starting Fullback but with the troubles of our Running Game, last season might have been his last with the Arizona Cardinals or next season might be his last.
    -Rob Housler will return as the starter with Jeff King being the backup. I don’t expect Jim Dray to return so this team will fill the #3 spot with a 6th or 7th Round draft pick. TE Kory Sperry will not return either.
    -For Offensive Line, it is obvious D’Anthony Batiste isn’t returning to this organization. I expect most of our Offensive Linemen to stay such as C Lyle Sendlein, G Daryn Colledge, G Adam Snyder, T Levi Brown, T Bobby Massie, T Nate Potter, and G Senio Kelemete. I don’t expect T Mike Gibson, T Pat McQuistan or G Rich Ohrnberger to return. Our starters of last season will remain the starters of this season just with Levi Brown resuming his starting role at Left Tackle
    -For the Defensive Line, Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell, and Dan Williams will remain the starters. I expect Nick Eason and David Carter to return but Vonnie Holliday and Ronald Talley will not.
    -For the Linebacker position, Quentin Groves might return but I expect Reggie Walker to fight for his job if someone else comes by, he will be replaced. O’Brien Schofield, Daryl Washington, and Sam Acho will remain the starters. With Paris Lenon’s contract expiration, I don’t think Paris Lenon or Stewart Bradley to be returning next season, although Paris Lenon is playing great, our team needs to find a much younger fresh Dynamic Linebacker that can pressure the QB and does great in Pass Coverage which we will find in the draft.
    -For Defensive Backs, Rashad Johnson should be signed back to fight for the starting role at Strong Safety with Adrian Wilson. Patrick Peterson and William Gay will return as starters as well. Kerry Rhodes and Justin Bethel should be returning too. Jamell Fleming should be returning too being one of our future starters. Michael Adams might or might not return, I’m not sure about this guy because he was a good pickup in free agency but at times is inconsistent.

-Punter Dave Zastudil and K Jay Feely will return as starters. Long Snapper Mike Leach will remain too.

9. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    In your opinion, why does some OC or Dc coordinators fail as head coaches?
    Examples Buddy Ryan, Josh McDaniels, many more examples out there but is it because they lack vision?unable to hire proper staffing?, bit off more than they can chew? Unable to respect their coaches recommendations? Outside of their comfort zone as position coaches?
    I know its probably the million dollar question but I wanted to hear what your thoughts were?
    I like Ray Horton very much as a DC! but he would have to rely on his OC to evaluate and pick a QB and redo an offense. Norv Turner fits that ability.
    Though Andy Reid has been a Head Coach for years and his track record is enough of a resume to know that he can have an immediate impact.

I just dont want to see another Buddy Ryan or Dave Mcginnis debacle with the Cards.

Mahalo for your thoughts!

10. By D-Dogg on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Oh my…IF we could get Horton as HC and Norv as OC that would be amazing. I think it’s pipe, but if it were on the table that’s a no brainer.

Plus, Norv has proven that he’s not a good HC, so you wouldn’t have to worry about him dashing off after a year for a HC job…the NFL isn’t going to put that on his platter again. And he’s a damn good signal caller.

Sigh. All these candidates have unique roses and warts..tough decision but lots of quality candidates.

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Coaches

Almost every head coach was either an OC or DC before HC. You can look at Reid and say “great resume!” Or you can see him as someone who has struggled the past couple of years.

So some guys fail, and some don’t. Just like in every line of work.

12. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren, will us fans be seeing an article about what the team plans on doin in the draft? I have put my self in the managements shoes over the months to speculate on what id like to do this draft to better my team.
    I knew Horton was full of it when he said in an article that he wants to/plans on becoming a proven DC and have his DC game down before wanting to take on moving up the latter to HC and other jobs, last I checked his unit ended up not finishing in the top 10. To me that doesnt sound very promising, especially after just 2 seasons. It sucks that he wants to bail out on the team if he cant head coach, but what can you say, there is zero loyalty now a days in this business.
    Also, I really hope Bid billzz is serious about taking a real step forward with this team, and hiring Horton as your HC is the opposite of that, he MUST sign a proven head coach. Obviously the gambles on not signing proven players/coaches have proved him wrong, seeing as he just fired 4 people and our team is back to 2010.
    I really hopes we could keep Horton as DC, I know he can lead this D to great things, but I dont think I have very much confidence he can lead the team as a whole. Andy Reid or Lovie Smith need to be the guys, either of the 2. If neither of those 2 become HC, I fear its back to the trenches

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Goodz –

RE: Questions

1) It’s January. Let’s see what happens with HC/GM first, and let’s get to the combine.

2) Cool it with the language or I will just delete the comment, which I have told everyone before.

3) Not sure how Horton going to take a head coaching job makes him disloyal.

14. By Zach on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Here are my picks:

Head coach: Ray Horton
    Offensive Coord: Norv Turner
    GM: wouldn’t mind having Steve Keim

Quarterback? I say bargain with Kolb and get him to take a cut and try to pick up Alex Smith in a trade in the offseason just to give Kolb some legitimate competition. Smith is expected to be one of the hottest FA’s for QB this offseason.

15. By canadian redbird on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Hiring 101 states hire the GM first and then let the GM be part of the HC process; anything else would be a huge mistake. Right now, I get the feeling that we are being rushed into the Head Coach process and that is when teams make mistakes. BE PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the process play itself out;

On a side note. Reid playing one team against another reminds me of the Kolb scenario, where he said there was a multitude of teams that were seriously interested in the QB. The result is that we panicked and ended up paying way too much for a unproven QB. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM REID AS POSSIBLE; HE IS BAD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Patrick Eagan on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

how come Kerry Rhodes isn’t on the fan’s poll for the 2012 MVP for the Cardinals this season?

17. By Chris Lewis on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Ray Horton would be the perfect choice for Arizona’s HC. He’s already familiar with the system, and he’s a defense guy which I think is the key to success of a football team. Some might disagree because our offense was horrible and kept us from winning a lot more games this season, but that’s mainly because of the QB, but if you have a good offense and no defense, you’re never going to win any championships, i.e.: Marino’s Dolphins and Fouts’ Chargers. I like Andy Reid, and I can’t speak for him personally, but I think he needs a year off to take a break and be renewed for the following year. If we don’t get Horton as HC, then I’d love to see Jon Gruden come out of retirement, I love his hard-nosed, fiery attitude. Arizona could use that on their sideline. Anyway, whatever happens, I’m excited to see if the forthcoming changes translate to wins next year.
    GO CARDS!!!!!

18. By Scott H on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren -

Oh, man, you don’t even know how happy it makes me to see the names Ray Horton and NORV TURNER linked together in any way, shape, or form!!!

THIS IS WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS!!! Turner is one of the best OC’s on the planet and with a guru like him running the offense, Horton would have less of a burden to shoulder as a first-time head coach.

It’s friggin’ perfect!

Yes, I know your blog is not an indication of anything pending, but…I love that you put this out there, anyway. This is the happiest I’ve been – related to this team, anyway – in MONTHS!!!!

Andy WHO????????? Ha! Let him take his fat rear end to KC!!!

19. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Horton also worked with Bruce Arians for four seasons and either Keith Butler (denied permission before the Horton hire) or Dick LaBeau (if he “retires”) would make great DCers.

20. By Craig on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Please hire Horton. Way better choice than Reid. Horton is on the rise and Reid is on the way down.

21. By Steve on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Bidwill fired all the offensive staff except for TE coach Freddie Kitchens, any particular reason that you know of for keeping Kitchens?

22. By georgiebird on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

The more talk about Ray Horton, the more I wish Denny Green was back. In your recent article about Horton, it was very revealing when Horton said ‘if he became HC, he would hire a DC who would have complete control of that side of the ball but he would be running the 3-4.’ This comment shows how shallow Horton is. If Horton could hire a great DC who used the 4-3, why couldn’t that guy get the job? Is there something sacred about the 3-4 ? or is that the extent of Ray Horton’s football knowledge. The best defensive mind in the NFL, Bill Belichick, runs a 4-3 and the defending SB champs, Giants, run a 4-3.
    Don’t get me wrong, Horton did an ok job over the past two years but he didn’t win any big games. Opposing offenses(except Seattle) were content to just play conservative football because our offense was so bad.
    I don’t blame Ray Horton- he’s in a good situation being a minority coach with so many HC vacancies-this will be a great payday for him. But Horton’s resume is paper thin-he was the DC during two of the worst years in Cardinals’ history. I guess since everyone around Horton was deemed to be so bad, it made Horton, in all his mediocrity, look like a shining star.
    Don’t like Horton, don’t like Reid.

23. By Andy M on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Craig; Horton is a rising star. An overnight sensation twenty years in the making. He has paid his dues and has his players’ respect. Nothing against Reid, but Horton is hungry.

24. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Sorry, Darren to bring it up but bitter Sal Pal states Donovan McNabb could be a possible backup QB in AZ if Reid is hired.

No word on Vince Young yet.

25. By Steve on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

What about Bill Polian????

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Kitchens

I don’t.

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Georgie –

RE: Horton 3-4

Don’t worry. We are all very aware you a) don’t like Horton and b) think he’s overrated.

28. By Patrick on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I think ownership sent a strong message this week. They have been spending all of their cap space. They did not interfere in their management actions and they held them accountable. They gave them extensions that we’re well deserved and terminated them when that too was deserved. I am interested to see who they replace the positions with, and will give them the benefit of the doubt unless it is something crazy. Thank you Bidwill’s for trying to create the right organization.

29. By Cactus jeff on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

My guess is Reid wants a long term contract and the delay is for appearances only. Therefore, what Cardinal players fit the West Coast Offense best? What say u Chuck1, John draft guy etc…

30. By BIG RED on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Horton and L.Smith would work great together. If not just sign Horton as our HC, why drag it on. Forget Reid his on the way down, needs sometime off. He’s already stressed out.

31. By Andy Kw on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We already have all our our Offensive Line pieces so I am sick and tired of hearing people saying blablabla about our team needing to address the O-Line in the draft.
    -This years Quarterback draft class is not so great, I thought Matt Barkley would be a good QB to draft but with his inconsistency to produce at USC, I am starting to have my doubts and he will probably be taken by Kansas City or Jacksonville anyways. Geno Smith is talented but like I said, he will be taken by Kansas City or Jacksonville.
    -This is what I think this team should do in the 2013 Draft:
    #1-RB Marcus Lattimore (I think with the duo of Beanie Wells and Lattimore, our running attack will finally be dynamic with Ryan Williams being the 3rd back)
    #2-(If available) LB Jarvis Jones- He could be the Linebacker that replaces Paris Lenon, that will boost mobility, speed, and strength.
    #3-WR Marquees Wilson: His size and speed makes him a huge threat and I think he could be the #4 Wide Receiver this team is looking for with good hands, size, and speed.
    4) OT
    5) DT
    6) TE
    7) DB
    (extra picks from vikings: LB, OG)

32. By Tim on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Steve-

RE: Kitchens

Interesting point is that he was a favorite of Todd Haley. So much so that Haley tried to bring him to KC and the Cardinals blocked it. I haven’t heard Haleys name mentioned yet for the AZ job but you have to think its being discussed internally.

33. By cobra on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

D:

I doubt Norv would be overly excited to Coach Cutler in Chi town? Hell, he could coach Kolb here? Doesn’t make sense. Cutler was like 4 QBs ago in Denver, just like Kolb was 4 QBs ago in Philly. I hear what you’re saying though. Maybe it will work out for the Cards? Could be a good scenario with the Coach combo though! Horton would need a great OC in his first year to succeed!

34. By Dynosoar on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Georgie,

I’ve got a challenge for you, if you’re up to it.

We know of championship teams that use(d) the 4-3, other than Pittsburgh which have been to the Super Bowl 3 times in the last decade, what other championship teams can you find that use(d) the 3-4?

Are there any? Are there many? Please let us know what you find.

35. By Patrick Eagan on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

@ georgie…

Who do you like?

36. By bFarrell on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

You got to read this article! I read this long time ago.

37. By georgiebird on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for cutting through all my verbiage to accurately and concisely capture my feelings on Ray Horton.

38. By bluepitt on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

PLEASE NO HORTON!!!!! PLEASE I just caught that interview he gave today!!!! He is as bad if not worse than WHIZ!! Hortons not humble, his ego is HUGE just like Whiz! He will say he will play the best players to win, then have beef with them for some reason and bench or Cut them!!!!!! (Boldin, Wells, Dock, The list goes on) Horton smacked all Cards fans in the face with his “Im going to be a head coach this year” rant when he was simply asked if he didnt get A HC job would he be content with being here as the D quard for the Cards!!!! He didnt even give us AZ fans a bit of love! Just said Not an option!!! And he will be a head Coach in the NFL his Year!!!!!!
    Andy please!!!!!! heck the bum off the corner over EGOTON oops Horton!!!

39. By Chris on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren.

I´m surprised that virtually no coach of the arguably best teams in the league is taken into consideration by any of those searching teams. OC/DC f.e. by the Texans / 49ers / Seahawks? Or guys like the 49ers LB – Coach for an upgrade. He formed arguably the best LB – Corps in the League.
    Same goes with GM – Spots. Those teams not have a talented roster, but an impressive deep one as well.

Any thoughts on that? Maybe they don’t want to leave because of their potential Super Bowl runs, or because they are still busy due to postseason?

Just curious.

40. By Corgon on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

is there any word about the Cards would like to talk to C. Kelly while he’s in AZ?
    Or any word about could be Mr. Bidwill’s target from the NCAA.

41. By D on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If Andy R signs today with KC and if Horton told Michael B a good name as his OC, I would hire Horton today and don’t wait for the week to interview the Denver guy
    Once one coach signs, there will be a flurry of activity

42. By Daniel G on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If we have learned anything in the past its that trust is earned. Think about every job you have ever had; Change comes and they bring in new “fresh” blood to try to run an organization they have otherwise been un-tested in. Nothing against McCoy, Reid or any other candidate on the “talk-to list”, yet I digress our loyalties should be from within. I believe that Horton deserves his shot as a Head Coach as well as Steve should get his chance as a GM. Lets face the fact this team is in it for the long haul. Our starting Veterans are getting to the point in their careers where they should be considering retirement or at least some kind of limited role. Our up and comers aren’t getting the snaps they deserve, so they remain untested. I am a firm believer that change can bring greatness, but it can also bring a train wreck. In any case in the end I hope that the brass doesn’t have to play “eenie-meenie-mine-mo” to randomly select who is going forward to run this team in 2013-2014.

43. By philly cards 1994- on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I like the horton and turner deal. Makes a lot of sense to me.

I do think dave mac was a great great man. We had no money so he suffered. You have to be able to see the character as a card fan its the one thing you get regularly.

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

BFarrell –

RE: Horton article

My post from 8/3/11

45. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Other assistants

Not sure being busy is part of it. But I’m not sure why certain coaches aren’t considered.

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Corgon –

RE: College choices

Haven’t heard any new names except for Haley.

47. By Cactus jeff on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Reid to KC. Were sunk, although giving Reid an extended contract probably not a good idea. But now we go with Cardinals plan B which we all know is never a good thing. I hope they have a plan B.

48. By john the draft guy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Cactus Jeff,

Since you asked, I will try to give you my best answer.
    When thinking west coast offense at its purest form, think of the Joe Montana lead 49ers.
    A west coast offense usually has wrs who can get off the line quickly. With lots of quick slants and post. Setting up dfenders for 9 routes. Bigger wrs usually fit the bill because they are asked to do crossing patterns and go inside where the big boys live. Plus, on quick passes, it is nice to have a big body to shield the defender.

I don’t know how quick Floyd is off the line, but Fitz would do well, now that he isnt a “one trick pony”. (see Darrens comments about Haley)

QBs, usually are mobile with misdirection and roll outs. Again think Montana and Young.

The backs have to be able to catch the ball out of the back field. Think Roger Craig who could run and catch equally well. FBs have to be athletic and not only block but also catch the ball out of the back field.
    I guess the closest thing we have at RB would be #33. I think we would need a new FB.
    I do think Housler would do well as the west coast offense would force lbs out on the flat to take away rbs that the middle could be open or as wrs run crossing patterns, it would open outs for a TE.

Looking at this draft, there are a few guys that I think would do well.
    My favorite QB has changed. I’ll write a separate post on why.

But with the 7th overall pick, I would take QB Tyler Wilson. Wilson is mobile enough, has a good arm, very smart and the toughest QB in this draft.

The best FB for the west coast is Trey Millard from OK. This guy is a very good receiver who creates mismatches, but also can stick his nose in there and block.

At RB, Gionavi Bernard would be an ideal fit. He can run and catch and has a nose for the endzone.

There is a major sleeper in the draft at RB named Knile Davis. He is a 6′ 230 pound r out of Arkansas who will run a 4.3 40 at the pro day/or combine. He put up major yards 2 years ago but broke his foot last year. This year, he ran poorly . But Arkansas line was a mess and the coach was let go right before the season, and left in shambles. He could be the next great back, that no one heard of.

Sorry really long but you asked me. :)

49. By john the draft guy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar and others who care;

After last years draft and missing on Tannehill, I began posting, lets draft Tyler Wilson next year. After all, he was lighting up the SEC defenses.
    But as the year went on, I thought I saw a little Jay Cutler (spoiled brat syndrome) in him and began to move away.

But over Christmas, I went back to Arkansas (where my wifes family is from) and got to talk with people who know Wilson and the Arkansas program. They said I couldnt be farther from the truth.

Not only is Wilson a very talented guy, he is the toughest guy both mentally and physically they have seen. Wilson is a team first guy who just wants to win. Remember the Terminator movie, where Arnold just kept coming as he has his bottom half ripped off. That was a description I got of Wilson. He just really wants to win and goes all out to do so.

Now, dont run to his stats this year. All 3 of Wilson’s WRs went to the pros last year. The offensive line was a mess (yes, worse than ours) And Bobby Petrino got caught with a co-ed and had to disappear before the year. This was Bobby’s offense.

So some of the frustration was justified. His wrs were not experienced and ran wrong routes, coaching was poor, the line was poor, yet he gave it everything he had Knowing that, I’ll take a guy like that.

So, with the 7th overall pick, I would take Tyler Wilson. QB, Arkansas.

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Cactus –

RE: Reid

Why are you assuming Reid was “Plan A?” Please don’t tell me it was because of all the reports on New Year’s, which turned out to be way wrong.

51. By Sackman on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

That’s it, Horton as the Head Coach and Norv Turner as the OC. If we don’t hire Horton as our head coach he is gone to another NFL team as a head coach. Not only will our offense hurt our defense will be hurting too. I always said, many many years ago that Turner is probably the worst head coach I have ever seen. However I also said that Norv Turner is one of the best OC’s I have ever seen. I would be in Hog heaven it that would come true. The search is over “That’s the solution” lets make it happen ownership!!!

52. By Cert 33 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Ray Horton as HC and Norv Turner as OC would work I think. But please, no more talk about Alex Smith. Even Kolb is a better choice at QB than Smith. Bring in an FA that has at least 10 years in the NFL (and at least 5 of those as a starter. Keep Kolb and Hoyer and for goodness sake get an all new O-Line and starting RB with the draft picks.

53. By erik on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Chip Kelly would change the game at the NFL level. I wish I was hearing the Cardinals name linked to him. Then again, the media is usually way off when mentioning those said “links”.

Thank you for staying very level headed in a business that is anything but. You do an excellent job, Darren. I always enjoy reading your stuff.

54. By Scott H on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Actually…can I be COMPLETELY greedy and suggest all of the following?

1) Norv Turner as OC
    2) Lovie Smith as HC
    3) Ray Horton remains as DC

I just don’t know that Horton is ready to be a HC after only 2 years as a coordinator. Smith, being a defensive guy, would be a great HC for a team with a great DC already in place. And if it looks like it’s going nowhere after two seasons, fire Smith and promote Horton at that point.

What the heck, doesn’t hurt to dream, does it?

55. By tyman on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Ray Horton is the most deserving of the Cardinals Head Coaching job.

He has called the D for two years now and has been great at it. Ray has learned from the best and Ray would be taking a step up instead of a step back like all the coaches that were fired. Id be much more happy as a fan to see a good guy and a good coach get the job before one of the big name fires.
    The biggest Question is who would be the DC. The 3-4 is hard to call.

56. By Cactus jeff on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    It has more to do with Bidwells comments. I still think they want someone to run the west coast offense as OC or HC in which Kolb had success in Philly. So, yeah, I think Reid was plan A. I also think Haleys name in the discussion now proves adjustments are being made on the fly since Bidwell ignored the Haley question during his press conference. Now I’m not going to rip the Cardinals for overpaying Reid or giving him too much power, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

57. By Tim on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I just wanted to correct a post above, Norv Turner does not run the West Coast offense. His offense is a modified “Air Coryell” from Sid Gilman. I believe he learned it from Ernie Zampeese. It is a timing “Vertical” type passing game. The offense calls for the QB to throw to a spot where only the WR can make the catch, so I am not sure if this would be the best type of offense for Kolb (he seems to be a “react” type QB). His offense requires someone who is accurate. He does believe in running the ball effectively to set up the pass (Emmitt Smith and LT). As a Charger fan (also like the Cards now that I live here), he is also the “king of the screen”. This year he had to call screens constantly because the Chargers Oline was so awful. At least that wont change if he comes here ;). Norv did wonders for Alex Smith in SF, but he obviously did his best work with Aikman. Before Norv, Aikman didn’t have much success. Aikman attributes much of his success to Norv. In fact, I believe Norv inducted Aikman into the HOF.

He is also a great play caller. I remember hearing an interview with a defensive coordinator (I can’t remember who) who said that Norv was one of the best of all time. In any event, I think Fitz would be estatic. Norv likes throwing the ball down the field (Irvin, Vincent Jackson, etc.).

(Also, Cam Cameron runs this type of system. I always thought of Cameron as a pale version of Norv)

58. By bluepitt on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Dude!!!! Horton called a great D for 2 years? try one and quarter! We are for forgeting his first 10 games where the Cards D sucked? And how does that make you HC quality? we get gouged in the passing game cant stop the deep ball? how did he do so well? We suck VS the run? please explain how he is so great?
    Yes we had a great D in some parts of the game but lacked big time in others?

59. By Tim on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Here is a great scenario:

HC: Horton
    OC: Norv Turner
    DC: Ron Rivera (after he is fired by Carolina)

2. Jan 10, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Gruden visits, so time to catch up on coach talk