And then there was Haley

Posted by Darren Urban on January 3, 2013 – 9:56 am

The Cardinals have asked for and have been granted permission to talk to Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley for the vacant head coaching job. That’s not a surprise. Michael Bidwill has always liked Haley, and was intrigued last year when Haley was interested — after being let go by the Chiefs as head coach — in coming back to be part of Whisenhunt’s staff. And Haley, even when he was Chiefs’ head coach, had expressed his fondness for Arizona and the Cards. He still has a home here.

His stint as K.C. head coach after leaving the Cards as OC after the Super Bowl season started well and devolved quickly until he was fired during the 2011 season. His time in Pittsburgh this past year was filled with some drama as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made some critical comments of Haley’s choices.

Of course, Haley was part of a dynamic offense while in Arizona, developing a close relationship with Kurt Warner and coaxing the next level out of Larry Fitzgerald. He can be confrontational. But you always know where you stand with Haley.

So to recap, here’s where things stand with the Cards’ known candidates as of Thursday morning a little before 10 a.m. Arizona time:

– DC Ray Horton had a good interview, but also felt like he had good interviews with the Browns and Bills.

– Andy Reid is, as of now, still supposed to interview with the Cards at some point, but had an extended interview with the Chiefs Wednesday and many reports have Reid closing in on a deal with the Chiefs. Howard Eskin says Reid won’t make it to Arizona. Then again, many reports had him closing in on a deal with the Cards a couple days ago, and that turned out to be a fallacy.

– The Cards are still scheduled to meet with Broncos OC Mike McCoy this weekend.

– Now Haley figures to be in the mix whenever they can line up an interview.

– For the general manager spot, in-house candidate Steve Keim was having his interview this week, and the Cards will also interview Redskins director of pro personnel Morocco Brown. Keim feels like the favorite there to me, but who knows. Keim is still reportedly going to interview with the Chargers and Jaguars for their GM posts.

Got all that?

– Also, Ken Whisenhunt interviewed not only with the Bills but also the Browns for their vacant jobs.

HaleyPicUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

96 Responses to “And then there was Haley”

1. By john the draft guy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Tough choices ahead.

Who the Bidwills decide to go with will shape the direction of the team over the next 4-5 years whether they are good or bad.

I guess I am more inclined to go with the known coach in Horton.

Haley would be my last choice. I think KC was a mess and Pitt offense was not as dynamic in the past.

2. By az12345678912 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Nooooo

3. By Miles on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

why is it in any picture Matt Leinart look like he doesn’t care he is in a football uniform?

4. By Mike T on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Noooooooooooooo!

Haley was terrible as a HC. I don’t even like him as an OC.

Have you heard anything from the Cardinals about Bruce Arians as a possible HC. I love what he did in Indi this year. Plus the success he had as an OC while with the Steelers.

5. By D on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I don’t see why Haley would not do the same as he did in KC who had below average QBs…make everyone angry and flame out in 2-3 yrs here…. could Kolb or a young draft pick QB handle Haley?????
    Makes me wonder who Horton told Michael who his OC would be…

6. By D.Robles on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I’m a fan of Todd Haley, He has that killer instinct. GO CARDS!

7. By Alan on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Don’t know if Haley would be a good head coach. He seems to wear on players after a year or so and we want some long term stability. Think Horton with Norv Turner as OC would be a nice combination if Andy Reid chooses KC.

8. By donttakelosses on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Whiz the best Coach in the bunch, Horton and Haley both intriguing.

What Whiz did for AZ was more than just a SB, it was to add character players, accountability, humility, work ethic and a “way of doing things” that professionals do. The “process” or “the way we do things”, as he referenced it, was what the great organizations always had, and the Cards never seemed to have until Whiz came. This is why I hate to see him gone.

9. By donttakelosses on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Thoughts on who Haley could bring as DC if hired and Horton goes?

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Mike T —

RE: HC choices

In the above post you know everything I know.

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

donttake —

RE: Haley DC

I have no clue.

12. By D.Robles on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I like Horton as Head Coach & Norv Turner OC

13. By Maurice on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

You mentioned that Haley can be confrontational. I recall he was a great OC, but had disagreements with Kurt Warner and that was the reason he left the Cardinals. Could you verify that for me.
    I am highly in favor of Haley being hired as head coach, the Cardinals need a strong person at the helm.

14. By donttakelosses on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I like Horton and Turner combo plate too, fwiw…

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Maurice —

RE: Haley

Haley left because the Chiefs offered him the head coaching job. If not for that, he would have returned in 2009 as OC and Whisenhunt had been hoping Haley would be coming back.

16. By D on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

from a nfl source, I hear Horton’s choice as OC is Whiz.

(ha ha….this is already getting old)

17. By dynasty1717 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Haley would do more harm than good as HC. His success as OC was more Warner than Haley. He completely lost the team in KC, and did a horrible job as OC in Pittsburgh. I say MIke McCoy first and Horton second. I hope we don’t even entertain the thought of Lovie Smith.

Darren – It would appear that the Cards want to promote Keim to GM, but need to comply with the Rooney Rule and interview Morocco Brown. Any chance that the Cards would delay naming Keim to see how the Andy Reid talks work out (rumored that Reid wants to bring in his own GM, possibly Tom Eckert)? It seemed that M. Bidwill was leaving the organization structure open to discussion.

18. By sqhead on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I prefer Horton. The one thing that was somewhat consistent was the defense. Bring in a new HC and he brings in a totally different defense. So now the offense and the defense are starting from scratch. Reid is a control freak, and he is an overestimated talent evaluator. He hired an OL coach as his DC. Haley is too much of a hothead, he would be better off in college. I am intrigued by McCoy though, like to hear what he has to say.

19. By Tucson Card on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Nooooooooooooooo! Lets go with Horton.

20. By beardinals on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Horton seems to say the things in public that make me think he’s the man. Really confident and hungry.

21. By Richard R on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren, for the life of me I can’t recall but have any NFL HCs been successful after being promoted from within the organization? The thought of Horton as HC intruiges me, but believe the Cardinals should seek out completely new blood and I don’t think any HC has been successful after being promoted from a coordinator position within the same organization. If anyone can prove me wrong with that, I would like to know. But, I don’t want any retreads and that includes Reid and Haley.

22. By wonderingwhy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

No No No Not Haley. Players got pissed at him last time he was here. His personality is exactly like singletary. Horton should be in there, he is level headed and smart. Haley would be a set back. Give Horton a chance.

23. By jeffgollin on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Any possibility Haley would accept an assistant HC/OC post under Horton?

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Jeffgollin —

RE: Haley

First, doubt the Steelers would let him out of his contract. Second, no. Not sure why he’d make a lateral move. Third, I’d think Horton already has an OC in mind, and it wouldn’t be Haley.

25. By blaxabbath on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Daren,

Lovie has not been in the discussion for the HC job. Has he declined interest or is ARI not reaching out to him? He has been a generally successful coach (even with a garbage OL), why would he not be up for consideration?

26. By Patrick Eagan on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Todd Haley would make a better offensive coordinator in my opinion. Forget Andy Reid. I am leaning towards Ray Horton as the head coach, because our defense was very good all year. After he was hired, Bring in Haley as the Offensive Coordinator. I think we will be good.

27. By jocards on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

RE: Retreads

Just an FYI for everybody. Bill Belichick is a retread, Tom Coughlin is a retread, Jon Gruden was a retread, Dick Vermeil was a retread…..The list goes on and on…..I’m not saying this to prop up any particular candidate but it does seem unwise to try and dismiss certain coaches using the “retread” angle.

28. By Cert 33 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Todd Haley would not be my first choice for HC but would certainly be a better choice that Andy Reid. Haley did coach a very mediocre Kansas City Chiefs team into the playoffs 2 seasons ago. He would be best suited to be an OC or perhaps assistant HC to Ray Horton.

29. By Dynosoar on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Miles,

he’s just distracted by a pretty face in the third row. Or is it two pretty faces.

He’s still doing the same in Oakland and still ot producing. Anderson may not have been a better QB, but at least he had class. We don’t need lifelong frst boys heading our offense.

30. By Bill L on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Cards are Who we thought they were!!!!…….Reid signing with KC without a Cards interview…….wonder what he thinks about the Cards. Reminds me of “Peyton coming to the Cards”…….Nash even said Cards Have a GREAT O-Line, HOW Ignorant can a Jock be?

Well somebody Cheap and untalented…..but Cheap, and a definite YES man….did I mention CHEAP…..OH, and a CHEAP staff.

HEY, maybe they will sign Edgerrin James to solve the running game problems…………Did I mention CHEAP

31. By JB on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren Great article here. One I think M. Bidwill should be reading.

Points #3 & #4

No on Haley, that was 90% Warner

32. By Chuck 1 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I sense that the Horton fans’ bandwagon is picking up steam and that Michael will feel some obligation to hire him because he is an insider and that other teams will steal him from us.
    However, i don’t think that he will be the best choice.
    I also believe that Haley has proven by his jobs in KC and Blitzburgh that he wouldn’t be a good HC for the Cards.

What is wrong with Bruce Arians, Mike Holgren, Lovie Smith or McCoy?

I agree with a previous poster that typically a GM is hired first. Why does it appear that Michael isn’t doing that?

33. By D-Dogg on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Haley???

Oh no. No. He’s the exact opposite of what I want in a coach.

Is Reid in AZ? Can the team add something to the damn reports, please? I’m tired of ESPN lackeys spinning stories all over the place. Is he in town to interview or not? You should know, or be able to find out.

Is the team willing to wait out McCoy? I like his approach to the game..flexibility is key. But he might not be available for awhile and that might kill his chances.

If Horton gets an offer elsewhere, do you know/think he will let us know and allow us to counter?

And again..HALEY????

34. By Sackman on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Horton/Turner nothing else needs to be said!!!

35. By martin on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

HORTON HC and TURNER OC!!!

36. By Dynosoar on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I’ve never been a Haley fan and watching him in KC and this season at Pittsburgh, my impression hasn’t improved.

Andy Reid is someone who has been to the playoffs nine times and the Super Bowl once, but he’s never one.

Ray Horton has been to the Super Bowl 2 times as a player and 3 times as a coach, winning 1 as a player and 2 as a coach. He’s been to the playoffs 5 of the last 9 seasons.

Do we want someone like Reid who can get us there, but not win or someone like Horton who’s been there and won, 3 times. Also, Horton’s hungry. (“We’ll blitz on the first play.”) He’s created a hungry defense, that’s for sure. If the entire team becomes hungry like Ray and his defense, Oh Man! I want to see that. Our division games will become the weekly best in the NFL.

I also like Urban Meyer who’s got several NCAA National Titles under his belt and may have had Ohio State playing Notre Dame this year if not for the sanctions that preceded him.

Brian Kelly has taken his teams to winning teams as well as Chip Kelly. Look what San Francisco and Seattle have both done with hiring coaches from the NCAA ranks. I’ve listed three that have at least equally impressive college resumes as Andy Reid.

If Horton’s not the man (and I live by the Scout Law, the 2nd principle is Loyal), then let’s look to Urban, Brian or Chip.

37. By Dynosoar on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

johnthedraftguy,

interesting and thanks for keeping us up to date. I like associating with people who are willing to reassess and change their positions if needed. Tyler Wilson, his name is smooth rolling off the tongue. I’ll take a look, interested who his 3 NFL receivers from last season are and where they went.

I still like Alabama’s RB Eddie Lacy, but not sure he’ll enter the draft… so there we are with him.

What a year. My Vols and my Cards are getting new Head Coaches. Here’s to undefeated seasons for both.

38. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I agree Darren, Horton has all his ducks in a row and is ready to be HC. But is the team and the front office ready for Horton? I think so.

Haley would be good for about half the season before the team would quit on him, just like KC did. Like another poster said: “to much of a hot head.”

I would just like to see the Cards do better than 8-8 next year, that would be a Good start.

I will say this, if Ray Horton gets the HC job for the Cards. I for one feel like the 2015 SB for the Cards might not be so much of a Dream! The Man knows this team better than anyone else they could hire for HC and the Team knows how and what he is all about.

One Last Comment;

With all that has been talked about, one thing we ALL need to do, is get behind and support whom ever the Cards hire as the new HC.

GO CARDS!!!

39. By clssylssy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

PLEASE, PLEASE…MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Horton is a DC and while he has been successful in that specialized area why would anyone want to ruin a good thing?
    Haley did a good job with what he had to work with early on in KC and they were more successful than they had been in years, winning the Division and going to the playoffs. KC is a very fickle organizations and much like the Cards tends to be fan driven, changing coaches at the first sign of adversity before any kind of positive change can be sustained. The Steeler offense are getting long in the tooth, BR is a narcissistic ego maniac who has difficulty with authority including coaches who are team focused rather than individual player focused. Haley and Horton would be a great dynamic duo if they could get a GM who was as knowledgeable about player talent and team needs. Defensive coaches don’t historically translate to good HCs and if the ownership is truely serious about building a dynasty an investment in an OC, 0-line coach, QB Coach, TE coach will also be included not just a HC/OC. The problems are with the Offense so the HC should have an expertise in that area and not necessarily BE the offensive coordinator as well as the HC. The HC is more of a coordinator of all the parts and to take an brilliant DC like Horton and turn him into an administrator would be a waste; I can’t imagine why he would even want to be HC after seeing the way Coach Whisenhunt was used as a fall guy!

40. By Phoenix Phantom on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren, have you heard any speculation on who the OC/DC would be if Horton were to be hired as HC. I’m getting the sense if Reid signs in Kansas City that Horton would be the Card’s next choice regardless of the other interviews lined up. (McCoy, Kelly and Haley would really have to knock their socks off.)

Also feeling the same on Kiem and can’t see either of those two going anywhere unless Cards either don’t aren’t able to match the packages being offered by other teams. (i.e. more specifically money or demands.)

Back to Horton, I’ve heard Norv Turner as OC but nothing on the DC. I know we can only play connect the dots but I just wanted your opinion on who else you thought was out there that could possibly join Horton’s staff on both sides of the ball. Thanks and keep up the good work.

41. By Annette on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I am sitting here wondering why we need go any further unless we aren’t willing to pay Ray Horton what he deserves to be our next head coach. We already have a proven performer, and anyone who can coach against top offenses like Ray has proven he can, can also create an offense to beat the defenses. WHASUP.

The only person I have seen mentioned that makes sense is the OC for the Denver Broncos. There is some fresh meat. An old axiom works here. YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME AGAIN. Todd Haley needs to stay in Pittsburgh. Andy Reed needs to go with the Chiefs (so we don’t have to deal with him, remember Buddy Ball and a half dozen other “used coaches”)

Ray Horton should be signed as soon as possible and let him start building his staff. They have a lot of work to do and Ray already has the confidence of the team. PLAYER ACKNOWLEDGED CAPABILITY WINS GAMES IN THE NFL. RAY ALREADY HAS THAT WITH OUR GREAT PLAYERS.

Oh well, what do I know. Hire who you will Mike. I had hopes when you took the reigns. Now I’m praying again for comon sense to prevail. By the way, you won’t improve on Steve Keim for GM either. Quit playing one against the other and pay the money. Let Steve and Ray start building a WINNING TEAM

Happy New year everyone. Ann

42. By sqhead on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

@Richard R,
    Mike Tomlin comes to mind.

43. By Madriffs on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If the Card’s go with Haley, then what was the point in firing Whiz? The only difference is Haley is a little more hot-headed. If Reid signs with KC, then give it to Horton.

44. By dan on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

GIve it to Horton.

45. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Kurt Warner also made Todd Haley look like a really good coach – just like Whiz. And we know what happened when Warner left. I’m guessing Warner isn’t going to come out of retirement if Haley is named HC.

46. By RockyGreen on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Lovie Smith As head Coach… this man runs a winning program.. Tod haley as Offensive Co-ordinator.. Horton remains Defensive Co-ordinator… If Horton leaves…. Lovie is a pretty sound defensive coach i would say… Insurance.. How will Horton handle the offense… Reid does not want to work with Kolb either.. he dealt him once remember… .

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Blax —

RE: Lovie

Have not heard his name. Why wouldn’t he be? Well, maybe they want to look for an offensive guy (aside from Horton). Maybe they don’t like what he did in Chicago. Maybe they don’t think he can develop a QB. Maybe they will later. I don’t know.

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Bill L —

RE: Cheap

Yep, you’ve figured it out. Thanks for setting us all straight. Brilliant analysis.

49. By truths4all on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

It is really so funny to read about clueless fans who still worship Whiz and the snow job he did on the Cards.

Except for Horton and his development of defensive players, what players did Whiz ever develop or elevate their game? Remember that Warner basically ignored Whiz and did his own thing. Except for successfully riding Warner’s coattails, Whiz’ bottom line was to talk the talk and produce nothing.

Yeah, even after 5-11, 8-8, and 5-11 seasons without Warner bailing Whiz out, to some fans, appearances and demeanor still means everything over substance.

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Phantom —

RE: OC/DC

I have no idea what Horton’s plans are. I know he has a staff he has told Bidwill about, but he hasn’t shared it with me.

51. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

truths —

RE: “basically ignored Whiz”

Uh, no.

52. By Bob Boise on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Don’t forget to interview Chip Kelly while he is in town.

53. By iammattyoung on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

1: Thank goodness Reid isn’t coming here. He has a great record, but the league is changing. He’s not on the forefront, and there was no way he was going “fix” Kolb.

2: I still say that we can’t lose Horton, and as much as I wish the best for the guy, I hope the Bills fall in love with Whisenhunt and the Browns get Chip Kelly.

3: I’m kind of partial to the idea of Haley coming here. Say what you want about the guy as a head coach, but he led the Chiefs to their single winning season in the last six seasons. He’s been credited as helping Larry Fitzgerald elevate his game, and coached the offense to some of its best seasons.

4: While I’d love to see a Haley-Horton coaching tandem, I don’t know if those two personalities could live together, especially if it means Horton gets passed over for the HC job for Haley.

5: Todd Haley looks a lot like Darren Urban.

54. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

darren urban seems like they just reported the browns have serious intrest in whiz if whiz comes to the 216 do you see any ex cards following him.

55. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

haley already got canned as a head coach im kool on him time to sign horton i hope larry doesn’t want HALEY.

56. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: Whiz/Browns

I would think wherever Whiz ends up there will be at least a few ex-Cards that join him. That’s how it goes for any coach.

(I’m assuming this means you’re going to play nice now. I’d rather not have to take drastic action. Let’s have relatively civil discourse.)

57. By Rufus on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

At this point Horton is who I would go with. Reid is likely gone and it is probably for the best as he would have wanted to have GM responsibilities. Give the GM job to Keim, let Horton be head coach and see what happens.

58. By Chuck 1 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Why is it that other teams are interviewing Bruce Arians, but Michael isn’t interested?

And, why is it that other teams are interested in Lovie Smith, but not Michael?

Oh, that’s right. Horton has the inside track because he’s from within, has a personal relationship w/Michael and other teams might ‘steal” him.

We can only hope that Horton succeeds.

This coaching “search” reminds me of FA pursuits of years past when Michael, Graves and Whiz would dither until all of the champagne was drunk and the good hors d’ oeuvres were eaten.

59. By Chris h on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

ARE YOU KIDDING… I love Haley but WTF happened with Reid I’m starting to get FED up with arizona DROPPING THE BALL ON FA’s Peyton Last year Andy this year we need these guys these are the guys that make a difference if we dont spend the money and get these type of guys those no reason spending money at all like we were. You can’t go all out 80% you gotta go all out 100%

60. By Chuck 1 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

sqhead,

Tomlin came from the Vikings.
    Check this out:

61. By TNT on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Haley looked good at Ariz when Kurt was QB, otherwise, not so much. Avg at KC (with mediocre QB). Would love to see Ariz get Lovie Smith and somehow keep Horton. Then the obvious OC and QB…

62. By Dynosoar on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I hope Chip Kelly’s in town to interview and not just coach his team. this should be a better game than the rigged Championship. Oregon and Kansas State were robbed the same weekend all so Alabama could make the title.

Chip Kelly as OC or as Head Coach. Though I doubt he’d leave his HC position at Oregon to be an OC. Then again, maybe he would.

63. By john the draft guy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

FYI, since you asked.

Joe Adams went to the Panthers (4th round)
    Jarius Wright went to the Vikings (4th round)
    Greg Childs went to the Vikings in the 4th round (2 4th round picks for Vikes)

Adams is quick like sproles, Wright is a burner who is starting to play more of a roll with Vikes. Childs is a bigger guy who keeps getting hurt.

64. By clssylssy on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I would hope that Mr. Bidwell would be smart enough to listen to the player’s evaluation of Haley over the fans. Afterall, players like Fitz have been coached by Haley and are in a better position to comment on his abilities to coach and inspire his players to succeed. Few fans know anything about other organizations other than what they read or have heard. Kansas City has had a lot of good coaches they fired, not because of any real fault of the coaches, but more because of organizational issues (much like the Cardinals); KC’s still looking for the 2nd coming of Hank Stramm, much like Cards fans are awaiting the second coming of Kurt Warner. So what if we hire Horton and he fails? Better to sacrifice someone less significant as part of the HC’s job description is to be responsible for the success(or failure) of the season; how is Horton going to fix the QB problem? I would like to see Haley as OC, Horton as DC and Lovie Smith HC or how about Carmichael or the guy who coached the Colts for most of the season?

65. By Richard R on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Tomlin was not a part of the Steelers when they hired him as HC. He was either DC or D Line coach I think in Minnesota before. The 2 most recent I can think of that were hired from within are Romeo Crennel or Jason Garret. Both didn’t do anything when they were promoted and one is already fired.

66. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Typical, Cardinals wont sign a proven head coach, Lord Bidwill cant learn from his own mistakes, wich is why he is looking for a new coach right now, and a GM. I expect the team to be lookin for another coach soon when they realize that hiring these non proven jokes

67. By Corgon on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I’ll be very-very dissappointed if we don’t even try to speak with C. Kelly. Choosing him would be a really nice move. That would show to us that the Cards trying something new and thats something! Of course I’m not saying he is the only answer, not even saying he’s surely an answer, but overlooking him is a mistake I think. There are no sure solutions out there for winning a SB.
    I’d really like to see his system here in AZ. Not the gameplan of the Ducks, that would be a stupid wish, but his playcalling system. I read a long and detailed article somewhere about it and it’s effective. It has to.Not the plays, but the system. The Pats started to use it, because BB every time one step ahead of the league. You don’t need TBrady for fast playcalling. I’m pretty sure he’ll be an NFL coach next year and think he’ll be a successfull one.

For the Haley idea….I don’t like it. Not at all. He don’t really have successes. Here Whiz’s personality controlled him more or less, But as HC I think he’d destroy the team.

68. By GMAN on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Michael Bidwill,

Please hire Ray Horton to be Head Coach. The defense will get even better and the offense can only get better.

69. By Scott H on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

First, THE BEST NEWS OF THE DAY – that it appears Reid is going to sign with the Chiefs. Thank you, KC, for taking him out of the picture. The thought of Reid was already scary enough. The fact that McNabb’s name was starting to be linked with him is more horrifying than any movie I’ve ever seen.

As for Haley….I don’t know, are we REALLY that excited about him as a HC??? he just had a turn in KC and it was quite an un-successful two years there.

I hear that Lovie Smith has targeted the Cardinals as a place he would like to be. WHY ARE THE DAMN CARDINALS NOT TARGETING HIM????? He has been much more successful during the past few seasons than Haley was in KC. He seems like the best option out there right now. But…leave it to this organization to look the other way.

70. By sqhead on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

@Richard R, @Chuck1,

Sorry my bad, was just thinking off the top of my head. I still don’t like to discount anyone just because of past history. It’s like saying the Cards will never beat NE at home because they never get beat at home.

71. By fightingbird on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Whereever you go coach Im sure you will do fine just look at what you did for the Cards while you were here.My heart is with the Cardinals but I will be pulling for you and your team as long as its not against the Cards, you understand.We live in N.C. and was at the game in the rain when the Cards beat the Panthers and you ran around and shook hands with the fans Ill never forget that .We just want to say thank you for the only Super Bowl memories we have even though we lost but we were there.

72. By Eric Hutchins on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

First post since Whiz got canned.

1. I hate that he got canned, I really think that he was better than 95% of whats out there, AND capable of getting the team on track. I do however, understand accountability, AND I think he handled the QB situation poorly…. UGH
    2. I did a victory dance to see Graves go, I really saw him as the problem from long before Whiz even got here.
    3. How soon everyone forgets that the only real success that this team has had was when Whiz was here. (I am still sad)
    4. It is LAUGHABLE to me, all the posters that in one breath lament our terrible offense and in the next want Horton WHAAAAAAAT. No Horten, Plueasse no Horton.
    5. I know I saw it mentioned already, but IMO the RIGHT way to do this is hire a GREAT GM and let him hire the coach. Any other way is doomed to fail.
    6. Haley is too immature (I know that is a strange word to use but I just dont think he can handle the situation). He may be decent in the X’s and O’s but I do not think he is a leader, I do not think the players will follow him. He lost the team in KC, flat out lost them.
    7. Although I love the way he plays (most of the time) I blame Darnell to a degree for Whiz getting the boot. He talked all the time of his support for Whiz, and yet slit his throat with his behavior in the Jets game.
    8. For those of you that think the Cardinals will automatically be better next year as a result of this move, you are dreaming.

To Coach Whiz, thanks for the years that I could finally be PROUD of the way the Cardinals played, of the way the conducted themselves and of consistently being competitive (with a few exceptions).

I will ALWAYS be a Cardinal Fan, there are just some days that are harder than others.

Go Birds.

73. By mike hadzinski on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

(Darren) different Blog, different SUBJECT, I told you if i see a jerry lawler type blog im calling it out plain and simple,As for Drastic measures it is what it is You make the bed you lay in Darren, I don’t Disrespect all your blogs just the smoke screens.. OH PLZ DO THE RIGHT GHING THIS YEAR AND DRAFT JASON MATTHEWS (OT) Son of Houston oilers C Bruce Matthews Do the right thing heading into the last 2 yrs Whiz failed to draft O-line IT lead to his Own dismissal .If we had a line and kolb was not knocked out this team would have made the playoffs IMO Levi comes back next yr we already know potter is perfect depth just like massie is.I Think potter would be a better guard too…

74. By Patrick on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I like Todd Haley because:
    He was the one telling whiz to start Warner over Leinart.
    He turned fitzgerald into the greatest postseason for a wide receiver
    He has head coaching experience
    Sometimes you have to fail to be successful and the Kansas city experience would only help him.
    Whiz would hire him in a second now that he has steelers on his resume.
    He is familiar with the organization.

75. By Terry E on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Looks like Reid is going to KC, wasn’t sold on him anyway. Might be a has been. Horton is the obvious choice. Haley is a jerk, I never liked him as OC. I picture him yelling at Warner or Boldin. I thought his play calling was mediocre and as other previous comments, 90% was Warner to Fitz and Boldin. I feel in the Falcons game 08 Edge was tearing up 6-8 yard runs but Haley was trying to run cutsie play action passes. We should have forced them to stop Edge. I know it all worked out and some of the most exciting plays were the down field bombs to Fitz but I will be literally sick if we go for Haley over Horton. Anyone but Haley…

76. By BIG RED on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If we get Haley, this thing is just gonna get worst. He’s the one that got rid of Boldin which I say started the down slide. I see a dark horizon ahead.

77. By BIG RED on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Horton and Lovie Smith a good combination. Bring back some ex-cardinals that played in the super bowl.

78. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Haley/Boldin

Uh, Haley left after the 2008 season. Boldin was traded after the 2009 season. Not sure Haley is that magical.

79. By Geo on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Darren what do you think of Holmgren he is great at developing QB’s (Young, Farve, Hasselbeck) and k ows how to win why aren’t the Cardinals looking at him? I’ve heard his name only a few times on NFL network about other teams!

80. By Campbells on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Not going to be Haley and Horton.
    Not going to be Lovie and Haley.
    Not going to be Arians and Horton.
    They ALL are HC candidates!!! Pick ONE, and hope that guy can assemble a quality staff.
    The only former HC not winning a popularity contest is Norv Turner. You might be able to pair him up with one of the HC candidates.
    One other thing; if Haley becomes HC, he won’t be the OC as well. He’ll hire someone else for that position.

81. By ndpenner on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I hope we keep Horton somehow…I wasn’t that much of a Haley fan…

82. By sqhead on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

@Hadzinski,
    Jason Matthews will be hard to draft, since he has already said he is staying in school so he can get time at LOT.

83. By Ben on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Idzik for gm, heard anything about that Urban??

84. By jason marcus on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I think Horton would make a great HC for us Haley should be OC and there you go I would take Norv also.

85. By kevin on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Lets pray we do not get Haley. Just look at his results with Kansas and the result with the Steelers, That’s right their is none. Reid we don’t want him either done such a good job with the Eagles they let him go. Such a good job with Vick. NOT.
    We need a winner but we let him go. So going to be a while before win. ON the other hand the team that gets coach Whiz will win. I still laugh at the ones that wanted Skelton as our QB. How did that turn out? We do not want Norv either unless he brings the Chargers QB with him. I still hope we can get Alex Smith.

86. By kevin on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Eric Hutchins said it perfect I think Whiz is better then 99% better then the coaches that have been fired besides Lovie Smith only one with a winning record.

87. By Bryan B on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Re-“few fans know anything about other organizations other than what they have read or have heard”

This same logic would apply to you as well, leaving your opinion no more valid than anyone elses.

88. By cardfanbirth88 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

hello darren name charles i love the site love what u do havnt wrote on hear all year but cant stand it no more people what say how good or bad a coach is going to be we need lovie or haley yeah they really wont be this be wow thing but i kno haley will get a qb in draft or other and lovie will too wont settle like andy would have or we can get a new blood person and bring someone from college or a coach out of retirement we need qb in second round unless murray comes out or geno fell to us that only way other them two rest is second rounders we need o-line but hire horton

89. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Idzik

I have not. Have not heard any GM names beyond Keim and Brown.

90. By wnycardfan on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

coaches slowly shaking out
    so as of now we know Horton (2 other teams interveiw, now sure how hot he is)
    Potentially Haley (if he agrees to interveiw, he’s dragging his feet a bit, and I can understand that),
    McCoy (3 other teams interviewing him, he seems like he’s a hot commmodity)
    Who else? That can’t be all we look at? 3 assistants? I’m a bit concerned that we’ll only look at these since Reid is off the table. I think they need to broaden their search a bit. Lovie? Billick (if he’s open to it), other HC’s out there? Even a college guy perhaps?
    I’m worried we end up with “who’s left” and that’s not the guy to take us beyond a 1 – 2 year beat down.
    And of course, i don’t know any of these guys personnally, so perhaps anyone of them would be awesome.
    I’m hoping for the later.

91. By Talon Mike on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I am extremely happy with the firing of most of the offensive coaches and GM Rod Graves.. It will be interesting to see the cards will pick up for offensive line coach. Any candidates out there? Haley was an amazing OC for the Cards, under Haley, Kolb can excel with a weak offensive line. Just as Kurt Warner did becaus he got rid of the ball quickly. Remember, Kolb, started the season 4-1 with the worst o-line in the NFL. As for DC Horton I want him to stay as DC, bring in OC Haley, and HC I don’t know. I would love Chip Kelley but he’s going to the Browns. Andy Reid to the Chiefs. Lovie Smith I dont know where he stands. Norv Turner couldn’t do it in San Diego why bring him here? For the draft, CARDINALS please draft and trade up to get both O-lineman from Texas A&M.!!!

92. By BIG RED on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren, what I meant is Haley made Boldin feel uncomfortable like he wasnt important on the offense. Sorry if you misunderstood, but you could see they weren’t getting alone. To me Boldin was more important to our offense then Haley. Warner made Haley what he was in AZ and I know Warner help Boldin, Breaston and Fitz play great. Haley after his years at AZ hasn’t done much. Haley needs to work on his attitude and know how give respect to his players. I know Haley was the OC, but we all know Warner was running the show. You could see the plays that where beening run were from Warners days with the Rams. Now, thats what I meant.

93. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Haley/Boldin

I won’t argue the two butted heads. But Anquan’s underlying issue was his contract and that turned him sour on many things around the team. I saw it firsthand. That said, I understand your concern about Haley.

94. By BIG RED on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Darren for you response. Concern cause Boldin was my favorite Cardinal player.

95. By steelpride68 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Hire Haley he would fit in nice as HC their in AZ.

96. By BIG RED on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

@steelpride68 seems you want Haley out at Pittsburgh. I don’t blame you, why not send him to dallas or Baltimore.