Bidwill talks coach/GM search

Posted by Darren Urban on January 4, 2013 – 2:54 pm

Team president Michael Bidwill sat down for an interview this week in between his various head coach and general manager talks to explain, among other things, what he is looking for in both positions. The full interview will be featured on the season’s final episode of “Flight Plan,” which will air Saturday night at midnight following “Saturday Night Live” on Ch. 12 (KPNX).

In terms of a general manager, “I want a strong football person,” Bidwill said. “Not necessarily the best cap guy or the best football operations guy. I want a strong football person. At the end of the day I want to make sure we have the best personnel department, the best scouting department, that we can have.”

Bidwill said he wants to add new positions to the personnel department under the general manager.

As for a coach, “it’s important I don’t get stuck in offense versus defense,” he said. Who the candidate is planning on bringing in for his staff is important to Bidwill in the process, as is — not surprisingly — the plan to develop quarterbacks.

P.S. One final thing. It’s Bidwill.

With an “i.”

Please make a note of it.

Tags:

93 Responses to “Bidwill talks coach/GM search”

1. By SteveG on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I admire the desire to tilt at windmills with the best, but getting some fans to remember “I” vs.”E” in Bidwill is a windmill too far….. :P

2. By Dynosoar on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Steve G,

classic reference.

Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill.

3. By Dean Kennedy on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Have never understood the difficulty of so many to get the whole “Bidwill” thing. Especially when you read something like “I’ve been a fan since they moved here in 1988, and Bidwell needs to do ……”

4. By jocards on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Well the coaching search appears to be shaping up like I feared that it might. Andy Reid decided he wouldn’t even interview for the Cardinals job and whether you wanted Andy Reid or not, it is not a good sign that he isn’t even interested in talking with the club. I was worried that coaching candidates that had other options wouldn’t be inclined to want to come to work for the Bidwills. This organization has a history of losing on the field that stretches back almost unabated through 6 or 7 decades and it has all been under the watch of the Bidwill family. Players have changed, coaches have changed, even cities have changed but the losing and the Bidwills have been constant. I believe the only way for this organization to go now is to promote a coordinator….probably Horton, maybe Haley if he is even interested. I unfortunately believe that Arizona isn’t the most attractive job in the NFL and for coaches with other options it’ll be a tough sell.

5. By Rich on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

We have a good owner. He’s a smart guy. Whiz was a good hire at the time….his time was up……Bidwill will make more good hires.

6. By Jake on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Who cares if it’s “Bidwill” or “Bidwell”? I sure as heck don’t. I just want him to make a good decision that results in perennial winning seasons.
    P.S. I’d prefer you stick to reporting and refrain from correcting the fans’ grammar/spelling. Make a note of it.

7. By Red Page Band on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

We are so fans of The Cardinals, that e have designed our band logo after them. In regards of the post I think Mr. Bidwill will do a great job; just give him time. The Cardinals are gonna be headed in the right direction one way or another! GO CARDS! :)

-Daniel Mærtin

8. By Jake on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

P.P.S. Your “i.” should be ‘i’. (single quotations with the punctuation coming on the outside of the quote). You’re referencing a single alphabetical letter that appears in the line prior to your quotation mark. Make a note of it.

9. By dieselbomb on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

At this late hour – the one capable, proven guy for Head Coach still yet to be approached is Holmgren.

Don’t understand who the Bidwill’s are waiting for. Looks like Chip Kelly is close to or has already reached a deal with Cleveland Browns. Andy Reid was hotly pursued by and landed by Kansas City. Norv Turner, Chan Gailey, Romeo Crennel are not what the AZ Cardinals need which leaves no other quality coach available. Jon Gruden hasn’t made it known one way or the other what his intention is, and Norv Turner seems useful only as an Offensive Coordinator.

Who else is available who’s also proven? I can only see Mike Holmgren.

Lovie Smith isn’t my idea of a capable coach – he blew the calls for the Rams in the 2001 Superbowl allowing the Patriots to win by the skin of their teeth, and has been confused as to the right direction for Chicago’s Offense two years running.

I’m not against Horton as much as I’m against promoting from the Coordinator level ( in other words : Still unproven ).

I just wish Michael Bidwill would indicate why he hasn’t opened the door to Holmgren to at least make a case for the job …

10. By Andy Kw on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Now that Andy Reid has accepted the Kansas City Head Coaching job, Ray Horton should be hired as the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. I would love to see Ray Horton’s dominant coaching of the defense become the dominant coaching of the offense. HIRE RAY HORTON ASAP before he is taken away.
    -Here is what the Coaching staff should look like:
    -General Manager: Steve Keim
    -Head Coach: Ray Horton
    -Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner (FA Coach from San Diego)
    -Offensive Line & Running Backs Coach: Cam Cameron (FA Coach from Baltimore)
    -Quarterbacks Coach: Pat Shurmur (FA Coach from Cleveland)
    -Wide Receivers Coach: Brad Childress (FA Coach from Cleveland)
    -Tight Ends Coach: Freddie Kitchens
    -Defensive Coordinator: Keith Butler (Pittsburgh Steeler’s Linebackers Coach)
    -Defensive Line Coach: Ron Aiken
    -Defensive Backs Coach: Louie Cioffi
    -Linebackers Coach: Matt Raich
    -Outside Linebackers: Ryan Slowik
    -Special Teams Coach: Kevin Spencer
    -Strength and Conditioning: John Lott
    -Assistant Defensive Backs Coach: Deshea Townsend
    -Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach: Pete Alosi
    (I know hiring Childress, Cameron, and Shurmur is a bit too much and impossible but it would definitely improve the organization, but you have to admit that hiring Keith Butler is a great choice for this defense. If my dream team comes true, this organization will be in the playoffs in no time.)
    -Hoping this comes true for the first 3 draft picks for Arizona Cardinals but might be impossible: RB Marcus Lattimore, LB Jarvis Jones, and WR Marquess Wilson
    -Hopefully, S Rashad Johnson, S James Sanders, LB Quentin Groves and CB Greg Toler resigns.
    -Sadly, LB Paris Lenon, DE Vonnie Holliday, WR Early Doucet, RB William Powell, and QB John Skelton have to go.
    -QB Ryan Lindley will not be returning including QB Brian Hoyer, T D’Anthony Batiste, T Mike Gibson, LB Zach Nash, DE Ronald Talley, G Rich Ohrnberger, T Pat McQuistan, WR Kerry Taylor, RB Alfonso Smith, TE Kory Sperry, TE Jim Dray
    -Hopefully we sign a reliable backup Quarterback.
    -Dream team:
    QB: Kevin Kolb, Jason Campbell**, Drew Stanton**
    FB: Anthony Sherman
    RB: Beanie Wells, Marcus Lattimore*, Ryan Williams, LaRod-Stephens Howling
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts, Marquees Wilson* , LaRon Byrd
    TE: Rob Housler, Jeff King
    OL: Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Levi Brown, Bobby Massie, Nate Potter, Bryant McKinnie**, Senio Kelemete, (6th Round Rookie)
    DL: Calais Campbell, Dan Williams, Darnell Dockett, Nick Eason, David Carter, (4th Round Draft Pick)
    LB: Daryl Washington, Sam Acho, O’Brien Schofield, Jarvis Jones*, LB James Harrison**, Stewart Bradley, Quentin Groves, Reggie Walker, (7th Round Draft Pick)
    DB: Patrick Peterson, William Gay, Kerry Rhodes, Rashad Johnson, Adrian Wilson, Greg Toler, Michael Adam, James Sanders, Jamell Fleming, Justin Bethel, Michael Adams
    ST: Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, Mike Leach
    *: My Rookie Draft hopes
    **: Hopeful New Acquisitions

11. By BiRdBrAiN1974 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Looks like they better sign Horton the way things are moving. The 3 choices they were looking at, 2 have or will sign today leaving Horton. Good to be cautious but don’t let it slip to stupid!

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jake —

RE: Name

OK. I will no longer do that.

However, just for you, I’ll institute this rule: If you can’t spell the names right, I just won’t post the comment.

13. By canadian redbird on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Re: Hiring Process

Why the rush to hire candidates that have had a losing record ( ie. Ried etc. )? There is a reason that he’s available; because he couldn’t win enough games. It is a blessing that we didn’t get Reid, and just because his name was brought up in the initial process doesn’t mean that Bidwill and Kiem would have pulled the trigger on Andy Reid. There will be very successful assistants with NFL teams or Head Coaches in college that go deep into the playoffs that would welcome the opportunity to steer their own ship in Arizona. What can a coach do now that he can’t do 2- 3 weeks down the line. Good head coaches always attract good support staff, so let the process play itself out. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE !!!!!!!!!

14. By BiRdBrAiN1974 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jake, Make a note of it.

15. By Happy Card Fan 2013 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Everyone is saying the Norv will not come here since he wants Russ Grimm and hope that is not the case but I never though Grimm was that horrible of a coach considering the talent they gave him to work with. You can only polish a turd so far and 50% of the OL they brough in were turds. I thought he actually did a pretty decent job with the 2 rooke tackles as the season went on. I the the Bidwills would
    ” BID WELL” if they could get Norv as OC even if that meant rehiring Grimm. Give the guy some decent players and he will be fine. Potter and Massie were average talent who ended up doing fair as rookies. Do want you need to do to get Norv in here and Grimm will coach to his style and not the style of our last lame OC.

16. By Steve on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren:Some people here are upset about Andy Reid not coming in to interview with the Cards but Reids contract with the Chiefs apparently gives him complete control over the roster, personel moves, the draft and even handpicking his own GM. Do you think Michael Bidwill would have have been willing to give Reid or any coach he hires that kind of control?

17. By Rufus on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know why people are upset over Reid going elsewhere. He wanted all his people on the coaching staff and his own handpicked GM. That’s way too much control for someone who has had his own issues with playcalling and the QB position. The Chiefs gave him virtually all he asked for because they are more desperate than the Cardinals, who basically just need help on the offense.

18. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Jake about the name thing, so many more important things going on right now to really care how to spell Darth Bidwill. Anyway, looks like a coordinator from somewhere is going to be coaching this team, not to exited about that, other than to come back for a 4th straight season to point out and say, I TOLD YOU SO. Flame me all you want, but we all know that when the time comes EVERYBODY will be saying the same thing. I like Horton a lot, but man, he really pulled the works the last couple days, but then again it is the NFL.

Looks like this team is going to have to try and rebound via free agency, doubting that they do anything agrresive, id at least like to see a real attempt at a QB, I like Kolb, I absolutely did not agree with the trade, I would of brought Kolb in myself(I was one of the fans urging to go after him) but def not at the price they did. I would like to see him stay and compete for his job. An o-lineman or 2 is a must. Its hard to tell tho until we find out whats good with a new coach and GM, I see mass termination of the roster much like 2009. I just wanna know what Mike wants to call the last 3 seasons? See, from what I understood it was a “rebuilding” stage, but seeing as that is just about to start, it leaves me wondering. What has the team been doing? Any bum off the street could have predicted the last 3 seasons after ZERO effort in free agency/draft. Why didnt Mike just fire Wiz when Warner left? Things are not changing the way they like to say, they are just getting worse. As long as Money MIke Bidwill is selling out his stadium every other Sunday, nothing is going to change. It hurts to say it as a fan, but you cant be in denial about what this ownership is about, thats what separates true long time fans from the post superbowl fans. Everybody calling for Wiz head, were the same people worshiping him in 2008/2009. Those people werent around in 89-07, and the ones that were still had thier Cowboy jerseys on, anybody from the beautiful state of Arizona knows that to be true. Fact is, this team didnt win back to back D titles because of the management and decision making, they wont because Denny Green set us up for success and coach Wiz knew what to do with the talent he had here. Warner was gift, its not like he was signed because they thought he would take them to the big game, no, he was cheap, he was roster space. But he was also GOOD. Since then NOTHING has happened other than Patrick Peterson and D-wash. Fitzgerald could have gone anywhere he wanted. He chose to stay because he had faith like I do, I dont kno why they paid him the money they did, yet wont put up that kind of money for a QB.

19. By georgiebird on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you that the correct spelling of the owner’s name is important. When there is a post where the owner’s name is spelled wrong, I stop reading and go on to the next post. Spelling the owner’s name wrong is a sign of either ignorance or disrespect.

20. By Corgon on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

:) While he talks he looks like Robert Sean Leonard in House MD. Even the hairdo is the same

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: control

I don’t think Bidwill wants to go in that direction. He made it pretty clear he wanted both a strong coach and a strong GM.

22. By johnnybluenose on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

jake. it’s one thing to disagree with something darren has written but it’s something else altogether to try to dictate that he not do something. this is darren’s blog and i’m pretty sure he will continue to do as he pleases and most of us will be happy about that.

23. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Georgiebird, you dont even deserve to call yourself a fan, stop posting here

24. By Dennis on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Canadian Redbird
    I don’t know what planet you are on; but Andy Reid had a great coaching record.

Andy Reid

130-93-1 with 10 playoff games

Best do your research before you post.

25. By beardinals on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jake –

OK. We’ll just call you Joke from now on. No notes necessary.

26. By Campbells on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Just because a couple of coaches are signing quickly doesn’t mean we’re going to be left out. Maybe, early signings are indicative of a lack of confidence on the coaches’ behalf. A confident coach will let the process play out.
    Sounds like Bidwill’s approach is sound. If he gets what he’s looking for, we’ll be set.
    Horton/Turner sounds adequate, so far. The “Grimm” stipulation makes no sense. Grimm wasn’t part of the Charger’s organization. We should be able to find a line coach that can help establish a running game (something we haven’t had in 100 years).

27. By Chuck 1 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Take this to the bank.
    The HC will be Horton for reasons cited before.

I also believe that he will choose the former Bengals DB (I think) coach, who I believe the Cards hired a couple of years ago, to be his DC.

28. By Andy M on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jeez, it is only the first week of January and there are a lot of touchy people; too many lumps of coal in the proverbial stocking. Darren, thank you so much for your high quality, well-controlled blog. For a lot of us, this is a touchstone. Even a very good writer like you can slip up on punctuation occasionally in such a rapid format. I will have to say that I am impressed with Michael Bidwill (I know a couple of people in their family and I still pronounce with an “e”). MB is a very smart and savvy guy. Some choices work out and some don’t, but I have no doubt he is committed to re-vamping his organization and that he will hire the best GM and coach available for his team.

29. By clssylssy on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Looks like the firing of Coach Whisenhunt was an impulsive knee jerk reaction to the thought of possibly not selling out Phoenix stadium next year without even considering or planning for his replacement. Now, it seems that Arizona is not as attractive a place to be the HC as we may have been deluded enough to believe! Romeo Crennel? OMG! …to think we gave up a Division Winning Coach for ??? Romeo Crennel??? Most analyst didn’t think Andy Reid would be able to land a HC gig this year but KC has given him the keys to the kingdom…because Clark Hunt is really into Soccer and doesn’t want to have to be bothered by football (except to insure financial stability of the family forture)…snap! It seems that we will get Horton as HC by default, our defense will suffer, and we will be worse off than ever (including sales will go down). When the heat is on and the fans turn on Horton he also will be gone. For someone who is trying to talk the talk, the owner needs to first show that he can walk the walk; you don’t give up on a promising work in progress when you don’t have a course of action and a play already in place!…Oh yeah, construction is costly!

30. By Scuba steve on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

George- or they just didn’t know the correct spelling and they are in fact neither ingnorant or disrespectful. However thinking someone is ignorant for not knowing the correct spelling when it’s an honest mistake is pretty ignorant and disrespectful.

31. By alexmannsportskings on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Dear Jake,
    Please refrain from being a jerk… While you may disagree with the way he does things, the rest of us fans are grateful he does this… Make a note of it…

32. By Jzoully on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

It’s time to hire someone quick so we can look forward to the Senior Bowl.

33. By philly cards 1994- on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I think that whiz wasn’t fired after warner left was because of the attendance. If he fell on his face it would be two yrs before the less discriminating type fans would really notice. That’s what happened.

I was mad after ron jawarski exposed whiz dumb offensive scheme and got max hall hurt.we had a dumb coach and he would only get dumber

I’m just upset because any different route since that offseason woud have been better. Signing one or two more of our guys. Not helping the giants with antrell (andy reid overratedness provide enough advantage for the giants).

Possibly firing whiz then and keeping boldin.The man from the jets game? We loved him for years #81? U can’t expect good things to happen after trading him.

Keeping bert one more year.

Breaston? Reggie wells?

Actually make an attempt to replace gandy

Then all of the personal clashes and the picks used to replace them.

Richard marshall leaving

Never getting a te

I do see now why graves had to go. He didn’t have to buy into whiz crap.this was his time and he blew it.

Not wasting pick on rb williams drafting just one more stud to get 51 off the field.

Even this yr try instead not using williams that much after not using him in preseason.

Starting kolb in the summer settle the line with one qb.

34. By jocards on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Canadian redbird –

While Reid had a losing record last season and I’ll assume that is what you were talking about in your post he is 130-93-1 for his career……That’s 37 games over .500….Does that mean he’d have been the best choice here? I don’t know but that is an awfully impressive record.

35. By Chris Lewis on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Whatever happens, I just hope we don’t have a QB carousel again next season. That’s not a good sign for a football team when the coach sticks a different QB in every week. I still think Kolb is our guy, he’s the key to taking Arizona to the playoffs and beyond. If he doesn’t deliver next season, then cut him, but give him one more shot. I see a lot of articles on nfl.com, etc. where the experts don’t give any respect to Arizona, which is deservedly so because of our 5-11 record, but they don’t know or follow this team like I, being a long-time diehard fan, do. As a Cardinals fan, I probably sound biased, but as a football fan, I truly see a ton of potential with this team. I believe we’re just a few missing pieces away from going deep into the playoffs. Our defense is our main strength, we have talent at WR, TE and RB. All we need is a healthy Kevin Kolb and a consistent O-line. I can’t wait for September. GO CARDS!!!!!

36. By Jerrytown on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren, do we have any other interviews lined up beyond Mike McCoy on Saturday? If not and he doesn’t impress, I think it could be possible we see a decision on Monday if Mr. Bidwill liked what he saw from Horton. Thoughts?

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jerrytown —

RE: speed

I don’t know about Monday. Maybe. I haven’t ruled out the possibility there is still a candidate out there we haven’t been told about.

38. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

It pains me to stick up for Georgiebird, but his use of the word “ignorant” is absolutely correct. It is not an insult, nor is it disrespectful to refer to someone as ignorant when they misspell a name or a word. It simply means that they do not possess a specific knowledge. It is the correct use the word.

Now, calling someone stupid is an entirely different story.

39. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird
    “Spelling the owner’s name wrong is a sign of either ignorance or disrespect.”

Translation:
    Spelling the owner’s name wrong is a sign of either not knowing the correct spelling, or they are choosing to misspell his name wrong out of disrespect.

Sorry,
    game, set, and match for Georgiebird. I’m going to throw-up now.

40. By Dynosoar on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Jke,

‘I’ made a note of it.

(sorry, just couldn’t resist.)

41. By sqhead on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world, if anyone thinks the Cardinals’ vacancy isn’t attractive to prospective coaches, they are woefully under informed. Of course as fans we have our own thoughts as to who should get the position, but in reality it’s Bidwill’s team and our thoughts don’t count. It would be like some random person coming up to you and telling you who to marry.

42. By Cactus jeff on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Holmgren would be interesting if he still had the spark to coach. It was Holmgren who told Ted Thompson about a young coordinator called Mike McCarthy. Holmgren can put good coaching staff together but Cards would need a strong experienced GM to compliment him. He was not great as GM.

43. By Chuck 1 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Bidwill,

Please hire a GM soon to assist you in identifying the best candidates to be your HC.

44. By Devon L. on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Sigh. I know everyone has their opinions and have the right to share them, but holy crap most of you are morons.

Bidwill will make the right decision, and I believe it’ll be Horton at HC and Keim as the GM.

Good things to come folks :D

45. By Dan on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Leadership, accountability and performance??? That sounds like Ray Horton to me………….done deal.

46. By Dan on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

And well respected.

47. By wnycardfan on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Not sure what to think now. With 2 major coaches off the market (Reid/Kelly) should we be worried? There are about what 5 more open HC positions across NFL to be filled. So how is this all going to shake out? Darren said that perhaps there are “unnammed” candidates, I kinda hope so for nothing else then at least they get to look at more and show they are exhausting everything. If they end up with a coordinator (unproven as someone said) that could be good or bad, just don’t know. I feel very uncertain. I am still OK with the firing of Whix and his staff, right move. Just hoping for the best out of this HC choice.
    My gut says it will be Horton. I like him. I don’t know if he will be able to handle a head coach job. Will he know how to run both sides? Will he be able to juggle the larger power/responsible? Will he know how to judge OC and other staff? How to draft etc???
    I REALLY hope its the right move and we can get some traction. I keep fearing a “singletary” experiment like the 49er’s did (yuck).

48. By LadyBird04 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Happy New Year Darren! Living in Florida we obviously don’t get Phoenix tv stations. Will this interview be played on this site or have a transcript available?
    Thanks.

49. By Louisville Card on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

I don’t agree with Georgie most of the time but he was correct when he said someone that doesn’t know how to spell Bidwill’s name is ignorant…ignorant means not knowing unaware and that is exactly how he used it…he never said stupid or dumb there is a big difference…

50. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

LadyBird —

RE: Interview

As of now, that is the plan, assuming it is still relevant Monday.

51. By Bang Balloon on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Easily correctable with simple mnemonics: “There is no WELL in Bedwill.”

Thank you for clarifying, Darran. Go Crads!

52. By aztrojinal on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I am just curious if you have heard or have any guesses as to why there is no interest in Chip Kelly. He certainly would improve the offense and would be fun to watch. Thanks for the response.

53. By johnnybluenose on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

bang balloon. sorry. what is it that you are trying to write? what point are you trying to make by deliberately misspelling words?

54. By Jahstone on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Once again….

HC – Horton
    OC – Turner
    DC – L. smith

and Keim as GM

I realy do like Butler as DC too (if we don’t get L Smith)

Take the blueprints for a great organization and not just the cliffnotes.

55. By john the draft guy on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

I could see from time to time you correcting people over the spelling of Bidwill. The last blog had several people you corrected and it seemed reasonable to remind everyone how to spell his name.

But somehow an English, spelling, grammer, and even a definition class broke out.

So since we got off topic about the cards, I have one thing to say;

How ’bout them Aggies!!!
    Not only have they knocked off Alabama and Oklahoma, but are the hottest team right now. If there was a real playoff system, I think no one will stop them. Johnny Football may knock Tim Tebow off as the greatest college football player ever.
    Don’t be surprised if a lot of those draft picks stay in school for another year to go get the National Championship.

BTW, ‘I’ instead of ‘E’ huh? Thanks Darrin. :)

56. By Joe Luchenta on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren so glad you mentioned the Bidwill with an I thing. Always got me crazy that people would spell it with the e. Guess some people never learned basic reading skills and retaining what you read.

57. By Credit Card on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Speaks volumes about Michael Bidwill on how many times he referenced the hard work, long hours and family sacrafice that Rod Graves and family as well as Ken Whisenhunt and family had toward the Cards and the Phoenix community. It strikes me that Bidwill really values family. This is why I’m certain Ray Horton and Steve Kiem will be ou new head coach and GM. It is good to see, an employer who still values family and treats his organization as a family.

Totally refreshing.

58. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Aztrojinal —

RE: Kelly

Didn’t ask. To be honest, I’m leery of any college coaches with no NFL background.

59. By Oscar on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

They Should be looking for Johnny Manziel thats what they need a good quarterback

60. By eric c on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

I would think the new gm would want a say in the hiring of the head coach.seems strange to me to have the owners trying to fill both spots at the same time….hire a gm like Bill Polin or Scott Pioli and let them hire the new coach……then let the coach hire his own staff and worry about the quarterback.Michael Bidwill should hire a GM and then get out of the way.

61. By Chuck 1 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Bidwill,

If you snooze, you lose.
    There is some urgency in naming a GM and giving him/HER (Sarah or clssylssy) the mandate to quickly recommend a HC.

62. By johnnybluenose on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

john the draft guy. grammer? unbelievable!!

63. By jocards on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

sqhead –

It seems rather obvious that when people say that the Cardinals coaching position isn’t very attractive they mean in comparison to other head coaching jobs around the league. For instance if you were a prospective NFL head coach and you had offers from Arizona and say Philadelphia unless you really, really loved mild winters you would likely choose the Philly job….I believe that the thought is that for a coach that has other options the Cardinals job isn’t as attractive.

64. By Madriffs on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

If not Horton, than Lovie Smith. Seems those are the only two guys that have made it clear they want to coach here. Not bad options. I can see Bidwill wanting McCoy mainly for what he has done with the Offense in Denver. Lovie is a proven HC and a great players coach, That makes him an attractive pick. Horton is a great players coach and a proven DC but hasn’t had a chance to be a Head Coach. Lots of difficult decisions ahead. The sooner they get a Coach and GM in place the sooner they can prepare for next season. Can’t wait. I’m starting to lean toward the 10-6 Lovie Smith if Bidwill has even considered him.

65. By jocards on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

I really believe the next coach will be Ray Horton and I’m not saying that will necessarily be a bad move but I really think it’ll be more by default. Horton has come out and said that the Cardinals are his first choice and I’m guessing that NO other candidate feels that way about this job. He is already employed by the team and is familiar with the personnel and he likely wouldn’t be very expensive comparatively speaking which makes him a logical choice for the Bidwills. Maybe Horton will end up being the best choice, maybe he is ready to be a head coach….I sure hope so. The offense will need to be addressed and that is obviously an understatement. If Horton can convince Norv Turner to be the OC I think that would be a step in right direction but this offense needs a lot more than a new coordinator to become a factor. I guess all of this is premature until we know for certain who will coach, who will be the GM, etc.

66. By john the draft guy on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose,

Yes grammer. Because this is a football blog and not a spelling class.

Oh yes, my computer said it was spelled wrong and I looked at it and thought it should be grammar but then remembered it was a blog about the cards and not a English class.

67. By cobra on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

All of the fans posting must be really bored. I am, so, just to clarify, the Bidwill family, for some reason decided to pronounce their last name as (well) as it would sound. Now, I have read atleast 20 comments against fellow posters on this subject. Has anyone considered the fact that, if, the Bidwill’s pronounced their name as (will), I wouldn’t be wasting my time reading the arguments. Thank God Favre hasn’t played in Az. Figure that pronounciation out!

Otherwise, Reid to K.C., saved us 4 years. His next stop is the Steelers. Can anyone read between the lines and think, Haley? Must be the Az. connection, or just a conspiracy theory?

Last thought. I hope the team is not shopping at (Goodwill) this year. I hope it is (Goodwell),

68. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: “football blog”

See, I can’t stand that reasoning. And maybe you were joking — your posts are clean anyway — but personally, I hate that there is so much misspelling and sentence fragments. I am a writer who happens to be covering football. I don’t have the time or wherewithal to fix every post, but honestly, I’m not sure why talking about football gives people the go-ahead to be sloppy.

Sorry. You just struck a nerve. It’s like when Jake said “what does it matter” in terms of spelling Bidwill. It matters. It should matter. Why wouldn’t it?

69. By Goodz in PHX 17 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Horton becoming HC by default just goes to show that no matter what happens good or bad this team is not willing to do what it takes, and nobody, not even Urban, will admit it either

70. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be wary of the Cardinals taking a coach with no NFL background. The Cardinals greatest coach was a guy out of San Diego State (Don Coryell) who brought in a back from Long Beach State (Terry Metcalf) and gave the Cardinals a few excellent years.
    At this point it looks like Horton- I hope he brings in some top notch coordinators. One of the dangers in taking time with hiring a HC is that coordinators begin to disappear. Of all the HC nominees, it seems like Horton will need the best group of coordinators given the Cardinals’ current situation in the NFC West.

71. By Tony on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

lol@ the Bidwill with an i

72. By georgiebird on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a great 1985 article on Roy Green -the greatest Cardinal player- hope you read it.

Gifted Green Honors Contract
    August 11, 1985|BOB SUDYK | Hartford Courant
    CHARLESTON, Ill. — The term holdout has become so commonplace in the National Football League this preseason it could be mistaken for a position on a team.
    Consider:
    Dan Marino is holding out on the Miami Dolphins. Mike Singletary, Al Harris and Todd Bell are holding out on the Chicago Bears.

The Philadelphia Eagles have five holdouts–Wilbert Montgomery, Mike Quick, Jerry Robinson, Dean Mirdaldi and Dennis Harrison.

Holdout, on many of these teams, is the most significant position on the club roster. The position, of course, is a financial one. And in many cases its nickname is greed. Its favorite play, renegotiation.

If the holdouts banded together as a team, they probably would be good enough to reach the playoffs.

But there are some Pro Bowlers who are cut from different cloth. Consider wide receiver Roy Green of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Green, arguably the most feared offensive player in the NFL, remains shockingly underpaid compared with his peers.

He is in the second year of the three-year contract that now pays him $195,000 a season. He earns $5,000 less than second-year Cardinal Clyde Duncan, who hasn’t yet caught his first NFL pass.

Green is earning $20,000 less than the average salary for his position.

Yet, view his record:

–More yardage (2,782) gained and more pass receptions (156) than any receiver in the NFL the last two seasons.

–More touchdowns (26) than any player in that span except for Miami’s Mark Duper.

–His 12 touchdown catches last season averaged 45 yards, the highest in NFL history.

–His 1,555 yards last year were the third highest receiving yards of all time behind Charlie Hennigan and Lance Alworth.

Yet next season, the final year of Green’s three-year contract, calls for an increase of $15,000 to $210,000.

He asked the Cardinals to tear up the old contract last season. The club refused.

So why isn’t Green sitting at home, playing holdout, as are two of his teammates, Pat Tilley and Danny Pittman, and enough others around the league to fill a team?

Green treats contracts the old-fashioned way–he honors them.

“Why didn’t I hold out?” he repeated the question. “Mainly, it’s because I’m from the old school. The way I was raised, we were taught the difference between right and wrong, fair and unfair.

“I expressed my sentiments about it last season. I’m under contract, so I’m here in camp. I’m confident the organization knows of my contribution, and that someday they’ll eventually compensate me. Nobody said life is always fair.”

For Green it was no big decision to live up to the contract he signed. Nor would he criticize the holdouts that abound today.

“Being underpaid does bother me when I think about it. An injury can end a career in one play. It was good when I signed it, so I’ll live with it,” added the unusual 28-year-old athlete, nicknamed Jet Stream.

As a complete receiver, he is part blur, part glue, part silk, part brain.

Last season, Giants Coach Bill Parcells called him the best offensive player in football.

“He puts more pressure on your defense than any team you’ll play this season. You pay more attention to Roy Green than anyone else,” said Parcells. “He has rare speed. He actually seems to get faster the farther he runs down the field.”

Green runs 40 yards in 4.28 seconds.

Green joined the Cardinals as a defensive back and kick returner in 1979. He tied an NFL record with a 106-yard kick return for a touchdown against Dallas in his rookie year.

He played offense and defense in 1981. He made history that season when he became the first player since Eddie Sutton of Washington in 1957 to catch a touchdown pass and intercept a pass in the same game. Green was on the field for 99 plays that day.

Since becoming a full-time receiver in 1982, he has used his knowledge as well as his speed to break clear of defensive backs.

“When I come up to the line, I can spot the kind of coverages immediately,” he said. “I have an idea what they’re going to do. It’s a great advantage.”

In preseason camp, he is preparing his own strategies and thinking out new ways to stop himself.

“You try to anticipate what other teams will try against you. Every year teams come up with something different. A receiver has to be ready for it. It’s a new, more complex system every season. It’s like a chess game. I like that part of pro football.”

The NFL doesn’t stand still any more than Roy Green does.

He rates the Giants and Philadelphia as the toughest secondaries he faces, and Gary Green of the Rams, Lester Hayes of the Raiders and Mark Haynes of the Giants as the toughest on man-to-man coverage.

Green is pleased that the Cardinals are planning to minimize the variations of their passing attack this season, believing, perhaps, the team had gotten too fancy.

“I’d like us to do a few things very well. Have a smaller package of 15 to 17 plays we can do very well.”

How would Roy Green the defensive back try to cover Roy Green the pass receiver?

“Well,” he replied with a slow smile, “I’d begin by asking another defensive back for some help.”

73. By Chuck 1 on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

There have been questions about whom Horton would select as the DC when (NOT IF) he is named the HC.
    My best guess would be one of the following three Cards’ defensive coaches.

This would be consistent with what appears to be Michael’s plan to promote from within. I would think that Horton would have trust in any of them.

Here is what the Cards’ website says about their biographies.

• Defensive backs coach Sigismondo “Louie” Cioffi (CHO-fee)
    Cioffi enters his 18th season as an NFL assistant and second with the Cardinals after being hired to coach defensive backs on 2/14/11. Cioffi joined the Cardinals last year after spending the previous 14 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, including the last eight as an assistant defensive backs coach.

• Defensive line coach Ron Aiken.
    Veteran assistant coach Ron Aiken enters his sixth season with the Cardinals after being hired to coach the defensive line on 2/14/07. Aiken joined the Cardinals after spending the previous eight seasons at the University of Iowa coaching the same position.

• Linebackers coach Matt Raich
    Reich enters his sixth season with the Cardinals and fourth as linebackers coach after being promoted on 2/18/09. He joined the Cardinals on 2/6/07 and served his first two seasons as a defensive assistant, helping with the linebackers prior to his promotion. Previously an offensive assistant under current Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt with the Pittsburgh Steelers for three seasons (2004-06), Raich switched to the defensive side of the ball with the Cardinals, helping to coach the position he played in college.

74. By cobra on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

jocards:

First you want Reid, posted many times of how great he is? Whiz got fired for the same reason, what have you done for me lately in the last three seasons. Next, you describe how a HC would choose Philly over AZ for the weather? Now, you predict Horton as the next HC for AZ?

I hear the weather is great in Philly and KC, maybe you should migrate. You could follow Reid to KC or take your Philly back home. Try the bandwagon, seems like a cheap way out.

75. By Louisville Card on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I hope you’re having a good weekend. Darren, with the Bills signing the Syracuse coach and the Cleveland job not looking like its going to be Horton’s. It’s starting to look like the cards don’t have to worry about Horton getting a HC job this year. Will he be back as DC next year if he doesn’t get one of the vacant HC jobs?

76. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Horton

I expect him to be DC if he wasn’t the HC.

77. By D on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Draft

If the Cards can’t move down in the draft I would be okay with AZ taking T. Lewan, OT from MI.

Then you could solve 3 spots on the Oline:.

Lewan, Colledge, Sendlien, Massie, Brown.

No QB is worth taking at 7, so a reduced salary Kolb would have better protection. I would use a second round pick on a RB. This team needs to improve the running game. Use the 3rd round on a QB to develope one or two years behind Kolb.

78. By donttakelosses on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

How about Dungy or Gruden as HC, Horton as DC and Turner as OC? Horton needs 2 more years as DC imo, fwiw of course…

Gruden and Dungy represent 2 contrasting paths to success…

Impressed with lil B’s comment: “the interview process important, you learn from the candidates…” so. so true. We used to interview half dozen and often took on board their ideas, in corporate restructure hires of professional advisors… smart. prudent way of doing bid’ness…

I bet they learned a lot from Manning interview as well, just woulda coulda on that one, that got away… but was free opp to pick his brain… this years’ likely MVP…

have confidence in l’il B right here, right now…

79. By jocards on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Cobra –

You really need to read more carefully because half of what you claim that I posted isn’t even accurate or is taken out of context. The weather comment; first of all you have it turned around and secondly you aren’t very good at picking up on sarcasm, are you? I’m guessing that there are all of kinds of things going on around you every day that you never quite grasp…at least that certainly appears to be the case with the posts here…..hang in there.

80. By donttakelosses on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

So, its JAY Gruden on list, not John?

81. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

donttake —

RE: Gruden

That’s the report, yes, Jay Gruden, Cincy OC. I have not confirmed it yet.

82. By Chuck 1 on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

By donttakelosses on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

“…Like the patience l’il B is showing. In the end, there are only 6- 7 jobs available and dozens of excellent candidates,.. find the fit… ”

My comments:

1) DOZENS of EXCELLENT candidates???
    There might be several, but certainly NOT DOZENS.

2) The Cards showed patience in the FA market for the last few years and what did it get them? Inferior players.

83. By cobra on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

jocards:

Nice to see cardsalltheway has resurfaced, not! As I noted, your comments are not consistent. Hmm. oh well. This time of the year for Football sucks when the Cards are SOL as usual. You hang in there also.

84. By johnnybluenose on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

just watched RG3 struggle with his wounded knee and i have to wonder if he was really healthy enough to play and whether he should have played the previous two weeks as well. i know. hindsight is 20/20. i have to assume that his knee can be fixed and he can come back strong next year, just as adrian peterson and others have. but i cannot help but think back to a young man named greg cook. some of you old guys out there will remember cook, a quarterback for the bengals drafted in the first round in 1969. he played exceptionally well that year, despite missing several games with a shoulder injury. he established rookie quarterback records that still stand. unfortunately for the bengals and indeed the entire nfl cook was done after that season because of his bad shoulder. he attempted a comeback in 1973 playing part of one game, completing one pass in three attempts. and that was it. too bad. and, how about those seahawks? who wants to play them now? nobody, i’m guessing.

85. By cardfanbirth88 on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

okay i write something and it never get posted that fine and everything but that why the fan base and everything to do with the cardinals are laughed at by every other team it pretty said coaches and players use the cards as bait to go to other teams

86. By Jordan on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

@cardfanbirth88

Everyone laughs at us because something you write doesn’t get posted? You’re joking right? And also, please take some time to learn the basics of formulating a sentence. I promise, it’s easier than you’d think. Just give it a try.

87. By jocards on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Cobra –

I think what you’re seeing as inconsistency is in reality the difference between what I said that I wanted to happen and what I think will happen….You’re right, I wanted Andy Reid (I never get what I want!) but I think it will be Ray Horton….Now there have been further developments with the scheduled Gruden interview so the picture is further muddied….We’ll see….and you’re also right about this time of year “sucking” for the Cardinals.

88. By john the draft guy on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Yes, it gets annoying when you see posters misspell Leinart, Whisenhunt, and Bidwill. I just got on someone who said he is hanging with RON Housler.

At the very least, you should know who is on the team and how to spell their names if you are a fan. I get that.

Then I read something by cardfanbirth88, who is barely speaking English, and I would get frustrated too.

I also know friends who love the English language and it drives them crazy to see it butchered.

So, please understand, I get your frustration. I also try to look over my post to see if anything is wrong. So, I don’t mean this to be an argument. I just started seeing 14 post of people correcting each other and thought, come on, this is going a little too far. Why did I think that? Here are my points.

First, this is a blog that fans come on and spew out frustrations or give anyone who will listen, their advise on how to fix things. Generally, fans don’t proof read before hitting send and maybe something was off. Once you hit send, it is over.You will even see fans many times post a second post saying I meant Housler instead of Howsler.

Also Darren, you are dealing with fans from all walks of life. Some educated and some are not. Because you are less educated, does not make you less of a fan or not have a right to make your opinion known. As you know, I coached down in Texas and some of the most brilliant football minds I met would struggle doing an English paper.

Then you have fans like Carlo from Italy and a few others who are from other countries. Many speak a broken language and have trouble saying it correctly. That doesn’t make them any less of a fan.

Finally, I think Darren, if you are honest, you have been corrected on some of your articles by fans. Correct? And you are a professional writer. You even have the ability to go back in and correct mistakes and I am sure you most likely proof read before you hit post. Yet every now and then a mistake pops up.

I think you do a good job and I get the frustration of dealing with posters.
    But I think of a guy like Dexter Manley (former all-pro) who didn’t know how to read or write till he retired. If he did a post, his post might have a misspelled word or fragment, but his content would be worthy of reading. Extreme example? Maybe. But someone who may not spell everything right, might have the best things to say. I just look at the content of the post as something more valuable than the spelling of remarkable or probably.

Should you try to clean up your post? Of course. Once you see how to spell Bidwill, should you continue to spell it wrong? Of course not. But do we need 14 post from different posters correcting each others language? I don’t think so. That is what prompted me to write before.

89. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Spelling

All fine points.

But let’s just clarify something: I haven’t gotten on anybody about spelling, other than the owner’s name. And if you are going to post here, I don’t think it’s too much to ask to get it right, and it isn’t something that has to do with education level. If you are on the computer commenting on a blog, I’m pretty sure it’s not education level that is preventing you from getting it right.

Thousands of comments are approved by me with faulty spelling, grammar, etc. I learned long ago that fighting any of that was a losing battle. And yes, I make mistakes. Again, I think you are taking this further than I ever intended. I asked that people spell Bidwill correct. That’s all it was. Too often, the misspelling — and this was more with Whisenhunt than Bidwill — is done on purpose as an insult.

90. By john the draft guy on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Again Darren, I think you do a good job and enjoy your writing. I also agree with you. It is rude to take a coaches/owner/player’s name and spell it in a way to make fun of them. I’m not a big fan of that.

I know you only asked to spell Bidwill correct.

I don’t think I was angling my comments towards you as so much as the other fans who began trying to fix everyone’s post.

But looking back, most of the post were targeting Jake, after he targeted you. I was just thinking , let’s stop talking about grammar and get back to football.
    In no way was I supporting Jake. What he was doing was just rude.

Maybe you took my comments about getting back to football and everyone misspells a word or makes a mistake, as I agree with Jake. (hopefully you know from my post, I’m not going to rude like that).

But anyways, if I took it to far, I am sorry.

Frankly speaking, I find it much harder to have patience with posters that make no sense. You know, the hire Lovey and make Horton the DC stuff. Or trade Beanie for a LT. I really don’t know how you don’t come unglued on those comments. But everyone has their right to their opinion I guess.

91. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Comments

As my wife can attest, my glue is tested often. But for the most part, I have to let it go. Like you said, this is for people to vent and say what they feel they need to say.

You didn’t take it too far. This is good discussion.

92. By JB on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

All I want for Christmas is Jimmy Johnson for GM and Horton as HC, Norv Turner as OC.

2. Jan 6, 2013: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles January 5, 2013 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog