Coach search moves forward

Posted by Darren Urban on January 4, 2013 – 11:55 am

With the Andy Reid discussion officially over (and it was over last night), the Cardinals’ search for a coach remains with multiple candidates. The Mike McCoy interview will happen this weekend. We’re still waiting for word of a talk with Todd Haley (although Haley reportedly isn’t sure he’d want to leave Pittsburgh.) The Ray Horton talks are done, and I think there is still a chance for another candidate or two to emerge.

(After everything that happened with Reid, I’m not sure the Cards are going to be quite as transparent with announcing potential names at this point. Leaks are going to happen, though.)

I know I mentioned this before but the key phrase in Michael Bidwill’s Monday presser: “It’s not going to move at lightning speed. You don’t want it to, because you learn a lot during your due diligence period.” Bidwill wants to make sure he talks to all the candidates he wants to before making any decisions. That makes sense. This is a huge decision that will impact the next three or four seasons at least.

UPDATE: The interview with GM candidate Morocco Brown of the Redskins took place in Washington D.C. Friday. The McCoy interview comes Saturday in Denver.

– Interesting that Mike Sullivan, the Buccaneers offensive coordinator, reportedly had a good interview with the Bears for their head coaching job and that Bucs QB coach Ron Turner is leaving to coach in college, former Cardinals QB coach John McNulty may not only have a landing spot with friend and Bucs head coach Greg Schiano but could even end up right where he tried to go last year. McNulty, who coached with Schiano at Rutgers, was Schiano’s original choice as OC but the Cardinals wouldn’t release him from his contract to leave, seeking continuity on their staff. The Bucs turned to Sullivan. Now, you’d think McNulty will likely end up on the Tampa staff one way or the other.

Tags: , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Coach search moves forward”

1. By Carlo Milano on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Jurecky said horton defensive coordinator is a college coach. But i think for the offense he will look for Someone with more nfl experience. What do you think about ?

2. By Cert 33 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

It appears that Bidwill is going to do the right thing and promote those that have been productive for the Cardinals now that those who were not have departed. I think Horton and Keim will be successful if the right OC is signed along with them. I’m grateful that we are not going to be stuck with any washed-up back east has-beens like Reid or L. Smith. That said, McCoy is an interesting innovator on offense and certainly deserves an interview.

3. By pacardfan on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

horton hc, nov turner oc sounds good

4. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

To the strength of Hortin lies in who he lands as an OC. I think it would be a good hie if Turner comes aboard but that is a big IF. Among Fans there is a constant chatter about who they would like to be the next HC but for me (at least with Hortin or Lovie Smith) it has more to do with the OC and there is little known on that. other than Turner are there any other rumors? Would he go in-house for DC or are there other rumors there?

Turner did say he wanted to go somewhere where he could bring in his own staff (check)
    Somewhere where he knows the HC (check)

He also has said he will not go to Dallas, and Rex Ryan publically mocked him for his win-loss record (as if Ryan has room to talk) so Jets seem unlikely.

Jurecki is saying that Turner has contated Grimm if Turner gets an OC job. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything other than Turner is looking at his options. It does indicate that Turner is not positive he will end up in AZ because Grimm is a deal breaker.

5. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Horton picks

I don’t know. I do think that we need to see if Horton actually is named HC.

6. By D on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Not having a QB ,maybe helping AZ in Haley’s case. Cards have to watch the Bills and Browns situation because once they get the Heisman from Chip Kelly one of them could get agressive with Horton (whoever doesn’t hire Whiz), then AZ would not be sitting to good…..

I agree though that these head coaches that want full control will not succeed unless their name is Belicheck. A coach doesnt’ have the time to do all those duties, need a GM over the HC

7. By Tony on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren,just wondering if you were going to post last night’s episode of the big red rage?

8. By Larry on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren is management considering Mike Holmgren at all?

9. By MIKE G on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! I think the Card’s are doing the right thing and showing patience with their hunt for a coach. It is important to find the right guy and fit for the Cardinals. If it takes 2-3 weeks so be it. I can see Mike Bidwell interviewing maybe 5 to 7 guys for the job. I wouldn’t mind Horton taking the job but his choice for OC would be vital since the offense is the main issue with the team right now. Still have to see if any playoff teams have coaches that could emerge
    for the job. I personally would try to get that GM in place first so he could have some voice as to who the coach would be. After all Coach and GM work closely together. Would be interesting to see if Lovie Smith or Greg Roman would be a candidate for the HC.I believe a college coach would be a little more risky to go with given where this team stands right now–dont think they are that far away. Hey Darren–Do you think there is any possability the Card’s brass could be looking at Greg Roman as a coach and possibly signing say Alex Smith for the Team???? then cutting Kolb loose???

10. By smack28 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren, do you think this thing with Reid dissing the Cardinals would negatively influence other potential coaches from interviewing with the Cardinals? It just seems the other teams have had multiple interviews while the Cardinals are sitting on one with another to take place this weekend. Also, I am curious why we have heard nothing of GM interviews with the Cardinals other than Keim? I am amazed that Bill Polian has not been mentioned in any circles of teams needing a GM. He has done some amazing things with teams he ran and truly believes in building a team from the draft with the most important player being a franchise QB. It seems to make sense that he should be on the radar considering the Cardinals’ draft history at the QB position.

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Tony –

RE: BRR

It will be up by this afternoon.

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Larry –

RE: Holmgren

Not that I know of. Do not expect it.

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Roman

Have not heard his name.

14. By Tony on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

ok thanks

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

smack –

RE: Questions

1) I do not think Reid negatively influences other coaches. If anything, it keeps a job possibility open.

2) RE GM talks: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/01/03/and-then-there-was-haley/

16. By D on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be surprised if N. Turner and R. Grimm sign on with the Cowboys.

17. By Annette on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

What is your personal opinion of Ray Horton? For me and my “Cards Family” of around 20 people all but one agreed with Ray Horton and Keim and get started bulding not guessing and begging some prima dona like AR. Whizenhunt was a better coach than Andy so why go backwards. I maintain Darren, that players do better under someone that has “earned” their trust which Ray Horton already has done. Keim has done a good job over our past drafts. Turn him loose to get palyers like Eddie Lacy, (dump another prima dona from Ohio), Joseph Randle, or Gio Bernard. Then Kolb would have some time. Oh, I forgot the other guys like Taylor Lewan from MI, Jake Matthews from TX A&M, Barret Jones from Alabama (tie him to Eddie Long :) ), and Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. Then add Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame and maybe we can play some playoff games. JMHO ya know.Your thuoghts Darren?????????? :)

18. By D on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Aaron Murray could be the next Drew Brees. Has good stats vs good competition

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT
    2012 249 386 3893 64.5 10.09 87 36 10

If he comes out, I wouldn’t mind AZ taking him in Round 2.

19. By Boston John on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren -

Do you think the cards will look into Scott Pioli for the GM spot?

Thanks,

20. By Annette on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Scratch Gio Bernard. we already have Powell and the Hyphen. Please drop a bug into someones ear about Eddie Long. It has been a long time since we had a legitimate runner of A P’s type. Eddie Long could just be that guy. I still remember when we passed on Adrian for a lineman. OOPS

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Annette –

RE: Horton

I like Ray. I think he’d be good to cover. I think he deserves a shot to be a head coach somewhere. That said, I have no earthly idea if he will succeed.

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Boston –

RE: Pioli interest

23. By Dynosoar on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Dennis,

sorry, didn’t know KC flew ot Philly. I missed that one.

Still, if he was interested in the Cardinals as an option, he’d have kept his interview here (I’m sure we the Cardinals were paying his transportation and hotel anyway). So, it seems even if we were pro-active like the Chiefs, he wouldn’t have come here.

Then again, maybe, just maybe mind you, he might’ve appreciated our pro-activity and come here.

I like others, seems like you liked Reid. I don’t think you or I are going to get our wishes (except Horton is still on my list, is he on yours?)

To all my Cardinals Blogger Friends,

Alpahabetical (Michael Bidwell, I hope you’re seeing this.)
    Brian Kelly
    Chip Kelly
    Mike McCoy
    Ray Horton
    Urban Meyer

Ray took a losing defense and turned them into a force. If he could do this with the entire team as well. He’ll add to his SB ring collection. (Do coaches get SB rings or just the players?)

Brian, Chip and Urban have taken several mediocre to good teams and made them undefeated. Over and over. Not a fluke, they’re top tier elite coaches.

Mike, won with Orton, Tebow and Manning. (Of course, argument could be made Manning would’ve won with whomever, but he still won with Tebow and Orton.)

24. By Dennis on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar
    I think Horton is Ok; but if he was so good wouldn’t the Cards make the choice now and promote him? I just don’t think he has his pulse on the Offensive side and might be hard pressed to bring in a quality OC.
    Brian Kelly I don’t think would leave ND. Chip Kelly I don’t know if he would get the respect of current NFL assistants and would have to bring in his college buddies. Plus he has it so good in Oregon, it would be tough to leave.
    Now Mike McCoy is interesting and if he gets it Horton might stay, if Horton leaves maybe Lovie Smith (if he’s not offered a HC job) would come here as a DC, that would work also.
    All I know the longer it takes to find a HC the less likely we will get a good one.

25. By jdcrow59 on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Forget Lovie Smith. He has shown for years that he has not a clue about picking an O.C. Todd Haley? Might just as well have kept the Whiz. Post Warner, Haley hasn’t shown a thing. Even figured out a way to keep the steelers out of the playofffs.I’m guessing it’s going to be Horton. Unless there is a sleeper out there that no one is mentioning. Not sure if Horton is ready or what type of staff he would assemble but, I have a feeling we are going to find out..

26. By johnnybluenose on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

darren. the other day you again reminded people that it’s BIDWILL. and yet even regular posters today continue to refer to him as BIDWELL. time to raise the white flag, buddy. there is no hope. maybe we should just refer to him as MIKE from now on.

27. By Dynosoar on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose, Darren,

I can’t believe I did that. Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill, Bidwill…

how many times do I have to write it on the board?

28. By wonderingwhy on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Just like the bidwells to wait until everybody is gone then get bargain basement prices for other teams castoffs. Exact same thing as free agency, waiting until everybody is gone.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Wondering –

RE: Owner

It is spelled Bidwill. Not hard to remember.

30. By Harry Boldin on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone suggested to Mr. Bidwill that Chris Peterson, Head Coach of the Boise State Broncos , if available, would make an excellent Head Coach or at least Offensive Coordinator for the Cardinals. The same is certainly true for Dirk Koetter, former Head Coach of ASU Sun Devils, and current Offensive Coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons.

Both of these two men could help the Cardinals GET WELL and be around for a long time.

Just thinking!

31. By wonderingwhy on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Yikes Darren are you mad I spelled Bidwill wrong, or is it my comment that they always wait until everybody is gone regardless of the situation? Not trying to be a jerk just wondering why we are always a day late and a dollar short every time?

32. By Dennis on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Harry Boldin
    Peterson maybe; but he probably won’t leave Boise. Koetter re-signed an extension to remain with the Falcons a couple of days ago.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

I know this name probably doesn’t make sense cuz of of Rams coaching days but should Scott Linehan be a consideration?
    Darren, you know of who I speak?

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Wondering –

RE: comment

Sorry. You just came on the tail end of way too many fans spelling the name wrong. Not just you. But I just don’t understand it.

You can have your opinion. Personally, I do t think Reid was the right choice, so I don’t se who they’ve lost out on.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Linehan

I think, with your Rams reference, you answered your own question.

36. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Hey, if having Horton as HC brings Norv Turner on board as OC, then I’m in.

Otherwise, there is still a guy named Lovie Smith out there…although I’m guessing that there is no interest on the Cardinals’ end if we’ve heard nothing about it at this point. To me, he seems the best HC candidate.

37. By stfuirsay on Jan 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Would Indianapolis Colts’ Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians be a viable option? He’s proven himself more than once that he’s fully capable and highly prepared to take a team from scratch and make the most with them. I think if the Cards were able to sign him to a contract, Ray Horton may like the idea and choose to remain Arizona’s DC. Just my thoughts. Not to mention, I’m a Colts fan, but still got to support the Home Team, which represents AZ.

38. By clssylssy on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

So far it sounds as if Haley doesn’t think the Cards are serious and doesn’t want to burn the bridges in Pittsburg where he’s got a good thing going (what a refreshing thought, good to know somebody in the NFL is grounded in reality). While I don’t think Mr. B has time to sit back and relax while everyone else is plotting their moves and scrambling for players who are becoming FA, it does seem that “this is a fine mess, you’ve got us in” sir, Lovie Smith and Nov Turner would certainly be worth a try, although I have a feeling that they will be out of our price range. I like Horton as a coordinator but I just don’t see how he can fix an offense that was really the problem even with someone like Norv Turner.And the fans who “love” him today will be the very ones to want him out the first time the going gets rough…would be ruining the best part of what we have left. Most Cards fans go to games for the party and don’t even know who the players are so going back to the old days before Whisenhunt, should be a familiar scene. Plus, they always need something to complain about! This team has no money, no leadership, and only vague talk of direction with no idea how to get there. But, what else is new? There is a reason the Cardinals have been the laughing stock of the NFL for so many years. AND, obviously the people who think Warner made Whisenhunt and this team didn’t see him play when he first came here and have forgotten he renigged on his contract with a year left…hmmm, Don’t think a lot of fans or many people in the organization took him seriously about his retirement talk so that wasn’t on Coach. Funny how fans choose to remember facts the way they seem most glamorous rather than how they really were! I like Kurt but one player doesn’t a team make. Maybe we should try to get him back as a coordinator at least for a year, since he shorted us one…LOL! I’m having problems seeing why anyone would want to come here and be HC. Seriously, I would love to hear the pitch unless it’s a place to get your foot in the door with the NFL?

39. By Laird on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

Should hire Horton for H.C.! Good inovator and inteligent. Should hire Kiem as G.M. ! He is with us now and can do a lot better job with player selections than Graves did! Hoping right decisions are made and CARD’s become winners again!

40. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2013 | Reply

stfuirsay –

RE: Arians

Viable option? Sure. But I don’t know if he is a guy they are looking at.