To wait or not to wait, that’s the question

Posted by Darren Urban on January 7, 2013 – 5:01 pm

The Cardinals interviewed Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy over the weekend, while Denver was on a bye before starting in the playoffs. As of now, he’s the only candidate the Cards have interviewed that remains in the playoffs. As pointed out by Les Bowen in Philly today, the NFL has a rule where a team can’t execute an agreement with or announce a head coach if that coach is still working in the playoffs.

So, using McCoy as an example, that means until the Broncos are out of the playoffs, McCoy can’t be hired. Since the Broncos seem to have a reasonable chance to make the Super Bowl — No. 1 seed and all that — a team waiting on McCoy could be waiting a while.

It gets dicey. It happens, of course. Back in February of 2009, I remember seeing Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley on the charter flight back from Tampa in pretty good spirits even though the Cards had just lost that heartbreaker. By then, it was pretty widespread that the Chiefs — who still didn’t have a coach — had been waiting to hire Haley. Usually, though, it’s uncomfortable to wait that long. Potential assistant coaches find other jobs. The organization is usually set back. The Senior Bowl in late January has no coaches attending (although that can be handled by the front office and scouts.)

If a team really believes in whomever the candidate might be, waiting makes sense. You’d sacrifice a few weeks to make sure you get the right guy for the next few years. But, while it’s supposed to keep away the distractions for working assistants, it probably amps up the angst for any coach who is hoping to get a rare chance at a head job.

– Nothing new on the Cardinals’ front as of Monday. No new names to report to be interviewed either at head coach or GM, no jobs filled yet. Maybe Tuesday will be different.

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “To wait or not to wait, that’s the question”

1. By kauaicardsfan on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Here is a good article in line with this Darren

2. By Rich on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

McCoy is a good candidate. But not good enough to risk waiting on.

3. By joe holst on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Horton coach, lovie smith def coordinator, norv turner off coordinator. get it done

4. By cardinal on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

nice wrk Darren.

5. By Terry E on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

NFL.com is saying Jon Gruden is interested in the right team. I am guessing we are not the right team. I believe the key is the QB, I like Tyler Wilson out of Arkansas but in the 2nd round. I want Joeckel or another OL with the 7th pick in round one.

6. By BIG RED on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Im with you J Holst on that one.

7. By Andy Kw on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    For your article “A Big Part Of The Interview Process”, Aaron Murray isn’t going into the 2013 NFL Draft.

8. By armand on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

joe,

Lovie Smith runs a cover 2, 4-3 defense. That wouldn’t work, we just gonna change our whole defense just to get a big name as a coordinator?

9. By georgiebird on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Football fortunes can change on a dime as the Redskins showed this year. Picked as a definite cellar dweller in the NFC East, they got to the playoffs before RGIII got injured.
    However, barring a great QB addition in 2013, the Cards will have a hard time making the playoffs in the next two years. I think it’s a great time for a GM and HC with a vision to begin positioning the Cards for the 2015 season. While we try to win every game, it’s important to develop players who will be here in 2015 and properly get rid of current talent that may not be productive in 2015.
    It definitely hurts to get rid of very good players and then watch them excel for other teams in big games. It hurts more when we don’t replace our good players with new talent.
    So a great opportunity for some guys with a three year plan to get the Cardinals back on top. I’m looking for steady progress in 2013 and 2014.

10. By jocards on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

This article raises a very good point about waiting on a head coach and therefore obviously waiting on assistants too….It is indeed a dicey proposition and one that I think it was Scott H was alluding to in earlier posts. Trusting the Bidwill family to successfully navigate the situation smoothly is a difficult thing for those of us that are familiar with the way this family has always done business. We all have our own preferences as to who should be the next head coach but we’re all hoping in the end that the right choice is made. The waiting is the hardest part (Tom Petty?).

11. By georgiebird on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see Manti Te’o get exposed. I heard some guys mentioning his name as our #1 draft choice. Te’o did well with NDs soft schedule but Alabama showed all his shortcomings. Maybe in round 4 but no way as a #1.

12. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

The Chiefs waited and got Haley, and where is he now??? Pittsburgh. He did not work out in KC. And from what I’ve read, He doesn’t seem to work out well there either. Did the Steelers make the playoffs. uhmm no. Don’t wait on some guy thats not proven. I don’t think Horton would make a good head coach euther. But I don’t know what the Bidwell’s lol Bidwill’s are looking for. I think whatever they are looking for, they should pick the exact opposite because what they have proven so far is they are not that good at putting together a winning combination. Let’s hope the their chioice works out this time. I’m just happy that Graves and Whiz are gone. Some tought decisions the owner has to make. Wish it were me, but glad its not me.

13. By philly cards 1994- on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

We don’t have a gm so I suspect we hire saban and he wears both hats.otherwise what is the holdup? The real target is working.

14. By Patrick on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

And tomorrow we see Nick Sabin tease two or three teams to get a booster to give him a big gift to stay at Alabama.

15. By Andre on Jan 7, 2013 | Reply

Darren with tyrann mathieu off field issues do you think the cards wouldn’t draft him in the later rounds because of it?

16. By Rich on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I like J Holst’s Cards scenario. ND finally got exposed……..they never should have been ranked in the top 10.

17. By johnnybluenose on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird. no doubt you are right about us not having a winning team until 2015. or even later given the strengths of our friends in the nfc west. and that really sucks because we have already waited three years. the only glimmer of hope, as i see it, is a healthy kevin kolb. our defense should still be good, our o-line will be better next year and if our draft picks work out we could surprise some people. assuming kolb can perform at a high level. i hope so because he is our only chance. and a new head coach with some imagination will help too. hey, maybe things aren’t as bad as we think.

18. By D on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I agree with Darnell that she is beautiful, but whoever is the next HC needs to get a fliter on his twitter account…

19. By Louisville Card on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Nice article as always. It seems like McCoy is clearly the front runner for the job now. Do you know if he still interviewed with the Bears and Brown’s? And if so would he be able to inform the teams of his decision before the playoffs are over? Or does he have to wait until the playoffs are over to inform the teams of his decision?

20. By tyman on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren any word if Mr. Bidwill will interview Bruce Arians?

21. By D on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Observations from the game last night…Warmack made a case he should go top 8 of the draft, while Teo may have cost him to drop into the 17 range….

One good thing about where AZ is located in the draft, both Buffalo and the Jets after them need and want a QB, wonder if a QB falls to the Cards that AZ could work out a deal with NY at #9 to trade down to pick up additional picks and still get a very good OL with their pick….

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Andre –

RE: Honey Badger

I don’t know. That kind of research hasn’t happened yet. It doesn’t help that he is really small. Not sure how he will translate on this level.

23. By wnycardfan on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

another day, another “nothing new” on the coaching front. Does look like GM is solidified, which to me is good thing.
    Waiting, I think Darren stated it well, dicey for sure. We’ll see.
    I”m not NFL expert, I just know I want to see some high energy, high hopes (with good reason) and a few good hires on the OFF side once the HC is finalized.
    On other “news”, Darren – how is Kolb’s injury? Williams? Levi?

Thanks

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: McCoy

Not sure how you get that McCoy is the front runner. I was just pointing out the rule. It may not impact the Cards at all.

As for McCoy, he has interviewed with the Eagles and Bears. Not sure about the Browns. And technically, no decision can be made before the end of the playoffs but I’m sure there will be a way for the message to get across one way or another.

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Tyman –

RE: Arians

I have not heard that name.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

WNY –

RE: Injuries

Williams and Levi continue to rehab. Haven’t seen Kolb since season’s end. I don’t think anyone has had any setbacks.

27. By clssylssy on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

I don’t think the Honey Badger has had problems since living with Patrick Peterson’s family, and it would seem that PP is trying to help him enter the NFL, most likely with the Cards. The guy is considered pretty talented and while he is small, if he is fast enough and can stay clean he would most likely be seen as an real asset to most teams…the Saints come to mind.

28. By Louisville Card on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Sorry Darren,

I didn’t mean that I was getting that feeling from your article. I was merely guessing from the lack of a decision yet, that Horton was probably not their first choice. if he wad then he probably would’ve already been hired.

I’m also guessing and it’s just a guess that Gruden probably isn’t their first choice either. Since the three names given by Bidwill as his top three choices were Reid, McCoy, and Horton. Then if that is correct that leaves McCoy as the probable front runner. Could I be wrong probably but I didn’t want you to think it was your article making me think that.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: “Top three”

I guess I would be hesitant in think that just because those were the first three names mentioned they would be the top three candidates.

30. By Bryth on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

@Louisville Card

We are still going with Keim after waiting how long for them to pick him. I dont think time has anything to do with them picking a HC. They just want to have a look at other names before they dive right into the first coach they look at, like KC. I think they will still pick Horton, Bidwills just want to be thorough.

31. By Louisville Card on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

@Bryth

I think Horton could very well be the next coach and he could be a great one I don’t know. All I was inferring by my post is that Horton isn’t Bidwill’s first choice but that doesn’t mean he won’t be the choice. It just seems like McCoy is the hot candidate with all the teams still looking. I’m more than confident as well, that Keim and Bidwill are doing their research and will make the best out of what they have to choose from.

32. By Credit Card on Jan 8, 2013 | Reply

McCoy??? Needless to say, having Payton Manning as the QB and John Fox as HC and previous HC and now DC Jack DelRio will make anyone look good. Oh yes, he has Hall of Famer Elway to help out, and one of the better Offensive lines in the league anchored by Ryan Clady. If McCoy is successful without the best pieces surrounding him — he might be a good candidate. Right now, my opinion he is totally untested.

2. Jan 8, 2013: PFT: Jets fire offensive coordinator Tony Sparano « Sports Greatest Rivalries