• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

As the coaching info turns

Posted by Darren Urban on January 9, 2013 – 11:47 am

With Steve Keim in place as general manager, the Cardinals now need to find a head coach. That is ongoing, and there was some spark thrown into Wednesday morning with conflicting reports about the Cardinals and Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Some reported there was an interview happening, others said no. (Or absolutely no.) What we know is that the Cards have talked to Ray Horton and Mike McCoy and are going to talk to Jay Gruden Thursday. President Michael Bidwill said all those things Tuesday. The team has been pretty transparent with all their interviews once they are lined up. Then again, Haley might want this kept quiet (which doesn’t necessarily prevent leaks, not when it is fellow coaches apparently saying what is going on.)

The Cards, in the Haley case, are not commenting.

(UPDATE: Steelers president Art Rooney said Haley is interviewing. Feels like a solid source.)

Regardless, nothing has changed with the hiring time frame, which was that there was no time frame. Bidwill reiterated that notion. “The timetable is the timetable that gets us the right coach and the right decision for the team to move us forward,” team president Michael Bidwill said during Steve Keim’s introductory press conference Tuesday.

One final interesting note, which comes via Geoff Mosher from CSN Philadelphia, via tweets that make me think he too has been hit with many questions from concerned fans about no head coach yet hired, in his case with the Eagles.

“KC was first NFL team last year to hire HC, on Jan. 9. Chiefs went 2-14, fired Crennel. Colts hired Chuck Pagano on Jan. 25. Made playoffs”

Mosher makes the point of various successful coaches over the years and their hire dates: Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin Jan. 22 (’07); Baltimore’s John Harbaugh Jan. 19 (’08); Denver’s John Fox Jan. 13 (’11); Atlanta’s Mike Smith Jan. 24 (’08); and Seattle’s Pete Carroll Jan. 11 (’10). Again, I’m not trying to say every coach hired is the right one, or that waiting always is a benefit. But clearly, it’s not like taking time crushes chances for success. Of the seven teams that need new coaches, only two have hired new coaches, and that doesn’t include the possibility Jacksonville could change coaches now that they have a new GM.

– One final outlier here: After the Cowboys fired DC Rob Ryan Tuesday it became popular — driven by media speculation — that Horton could be a candidate to replace him. Horton was wooed by Jason Garrett to be on staff two years ago as Horton was coming to Arizona as DC. Here’s the problem: If the Cards don’t hire Horton has head coach, I’m pretty sure they want him to stay as defensive coordinator. Now, that can always change depending on who the head coach is, but with Horton still under contract for another season, he can’t go anywhere (except as a head coach) if the Cards don’t want him to. And I just don’t see the Cards allowing a lateral move, even if Horton did (of which I’m not sure either).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “As the coaching info turns”

1. By Wildcard on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Draft Chance Womack… Then a QB… Then BPA

2. By D on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Shouldn’t be a problem Darren…if Horton doesnt’ get a HC job this spring, then he knows it wont happen according to his own words, so why not extend him as the DC for serveral years….

3. By syncro9z on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Ok, Good points made here. I was not worried Horton would leave as a lateral. Speaking of the draft is a little early until a coach is selected, however; Darren, what can you tells us as far as Well’s contract? Is he most likely released? If so, his position is a need in this years draft as well.

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

syncro –

RE: Beanie

Cards hold an option for 2013. Whether he comes back or not, I expect the Cards to get another back given injuries of both he and Williams.

5. By MikeFlorio on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Chip Kelly dominated the last few yrs in the pac-10 and now pac 12…..He took on the likes of Harbourgh and Caroell I dont see why that style couldnt translate into him taking on his former foes in college….well maybe not pete but he can be successfull…who knows Im just a man who predicted that the mayan calander was nothing more than a date on the calander!!!! Urb as long as your still here I will be too!!!

6. By mal on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

If you were in the front office, wouldnt it make sense for you to wait and see if Horton gets a HC offer, and then at that time make your decision if you want to make him the Cards HC or not?

Otherwise, if no other team is going to hire Horton away, then you can bring in an offensive guru for the HC job and still get to keep Horton around, too, as DC.

It’s all high-stakes gambling and shrewd moves. I assume Ray would take our HC job over any other offer, so why not slow walk and maybe end up with brilliance at both DC and HC?

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Mal –

RE: Horton

You might have a point and a plan. But again, we are working with human beings here, not robots. That could happen, but you probably need to understand Horton could be upset. Human dynamics are in play.

8. By Tim on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I miss Todd Haley and his fun offensive play calling (flea flickers, end a rounds, etc.) When I see what he did for Steelers TE Heath Miller this past season it gets me SUPER excited at what he will do with TE Rob Housler in 2013!

Plus he’s from the Parcells coaching tree so he gets my vote.

Go Cardinals!
    -Tim
    @SheriffK9NJ

9. By Tucson Card on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I agree with ‘Wildcard’ (assuming he/she’s referring to the Alabama guard Warmack). Warmack was a beast all season. Crazy good guard. He made the ND defensive line look like boys. I wouldn’t consider it a reach.

I hope we don’t get Haley. That would be anti-climactic. He has a less than inspiring track record as a head coach.

10. By UK CARD on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Screw Haley don’t like him, DON’T WANT HIM!!! Steve is young for a GM, but Bidwill saw talent, and made some say a bold move!!

HIRE Horton for head coach, and Rob Ryan for DC! = SMACK YOU IN THE MOUTH D!! No more interviews for due diligence SAKE!! MOVE NOW CARDS!!!!!!!!

11. By grabling on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Hire Horton as the HC and then get hire Bob Ryan as DC and Norv Turner as OC

12. By Chris B on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon.

Rob Ryan’s defense hasn’t been good since…. ever. Just because you have heard his name mentioned on the TV doesn’t mean he is good.

13. By Dynosoar on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

MikeFlorio,

I agree, Kelly should be brilliant at the NFL level and we’ll see him as a head coach (if he wants it), just a matter of time. I’m looking forward to seeing that team.

To all,

I’m calm about the time frame Michael Bidwill has put on this. Interview until it feels like the right fit then jump. There’s speculation about Ray Horton being out of it because they’re still interviewing, sometimes we continue to find a better candidate, sometimes to confirm we’ve made the correct choice.

Either way, I’m confident we’ll come out of this stronger than before.

Cardinals to the playoffs and beyond.

14. By mike hadzinski on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Good Solid Blog about some coaching.

15. By Safety Guy on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Darren-
    Anything new on the recovery of our Card injured warriors?
    ie Kolb Sendlien, Williams, Schofield, Brown , Housler, Bridges and Ohrnberger?

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Safety –

RE: Injuries

Nothing new. We’ll get to those updates in due time.

17. By Safety Guy on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Thank you sir. just looking for something other than all the back and forth on Haley. Its makin my head hurt :)

18. By Louisville Card on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Is there a cap hit if they don’t bring back Beanie?

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Wells contract

Less than $1M, I believe.

20. By GMAN on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I BELIEVE the Cardinals are doing their due dilligence but they will hire Ray as HC.

21. By Kevin S on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Rob Ryan? Really? One of the things I liked most about Whiz is that he assembled classy guys on his staff and on the team. I don’t want some petulant, ungrateful loudmouth as our DC. (Did you see his comments after being dismissed by Dallas? No thanking the organization for the opportunity, just an “I’m great”-type of response along with the “I’ll have a job in like five minutes” line.)

22. By Johnkhen on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

My take from the hiring of Steve Keim is that we think he can bring a new taste of competitiveness. My question is what’s the deal with Keith Butler of Pittsburgh, his contract expires right? Wouldn’t he make a good fit for us if Ray Horton takes our HC job?

23. By georgiebird on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Cards have a dilemma with Horton. If he doesn’t get an HC position, he has to be with Cards in 2013- but what will be his frame of mind?
    The Bidwills usually give out 3 year contracts- if Horton isn’t the choice he’s as good as gone anyway; especially by 2015 when Cards should be competitive.
    I still can’t believe that Horton has moved so quickly from DC to a an HC possibility.
    The best thing that can be said for Horton is that he has done a nice job of putting together a decent defense with very little top-flite talent (no pro-bowlers).
    It looks like Horton will at least be promoted to Ass’t HC if he doesn’t get a big gig.

24. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Here is my take. I agree that the Cards are taking a risk that Hortin will not get another HC job. I do think they will renegotiate with him this off season and give him more cash. I think they have thier eye on McCoy but because nothing can be done until Denver loses, they are just stalling- I mean doing thier “due dilligence”. Imagine the grumbling if the Cards were doing nothing but could not say anything about McCoy-plans.

25. By Andy Kw on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

This team needs many experienced NFL coaches to hire for our vacant coaching jobs with GM Steve Keim playing a huge role:
    Head Coach: Ray Horton
    Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner (FA from San Diego)
    Quarterbacks Coach: Pat Shurmur (FA from Cleveland)
    Offensive Line Coach: Harold Nash (Strength & Conditioning of New England)
    Running backs Coach: Jack Bicknell Jr. (Assistant Coach of NYG)
    Wide Receivers Coach: Greg Knapp (FA from Oakland)
    Offensive Quality Control: Carter Sheridan (Assistant WR Coach of New Orleans)
    Defensive Coordinator: Keith Butler (LB Coach of Pittsburgh)

26. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I continue to see people making pleas along these lines — We should hire “so-and-so” as HC, “so-and-so” as DC, and “so-and-so” as OC.

I just don’t see a head coach taking the job unless he can hire the staff that he wants. Whichever coach is hired, they will be given the authority to hire the offensive and defensive coordinators. I am sure the questions of who they would choose as their coordinators is part of the head coach interview process, so it is unlikely that we could hire, Ray Horton as HC, then Norv Turner as OC, then
    Rob Ryan as DC — unless Horton wanted those coaches. I don’t think it is wise to neuter the HC before they even get a chance to lead.

27. By syncro9z on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Cap hit of 1 mil for Wells? Heck, theres no way we release him. Keep him, hope Williams gets healthy, draft another one in second if its the top player in that round and we have a good looking running crew. Wide outs are set. Tight ends are set. Draft line help with 1 and 3 if its top player in those rounds, and we live and die with KK, Hoyer and Skelton? That is unless we go after a free agent. Free agency will determine where we go in draft first and foremost.
    Levi is set on line as far as contract, however; can you quiclkly tell me what the others look like as far as contract for next season? Also I get the feeling Massie and Potter did good enough to fight for a starting spot, so does OG help turn into more of a priority in your opinion? We had a poor showing in the run game,,

28. By philly cards on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Since haley is interviewing then he’s the guy.
    He gets results.he knows what he’s doing and what he wants.

Kc is used to soft coaches. The steelers had an old man before haley.haley works well with our tough players.
    Haley and horton will make me happy again.

29. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I’d honestly have to say that of Gruden, McCoy, Horton, and Haley…i am not excited at all by any of them. Already seen Haley as a HC, taking over a basically bad / below average team in KC and it only seemed to get worse in his second year. Why is this situation any different?

I love Horton as our DC and I hope he stays there, at least for a few more years. Might be more excited about him then. Or, as stated, COULD BE more excited about him NOW if Norv Turner comes in as OC.

Gruden? Well, what is there to base any level of excitement on??? He’s been the OC for the Bengals the past few years. OK. And? What is the great accomplishment there that I’m missing? Been nothing special about the Bengals offense recently. Now, if he could sneak that WR of theirs’ into his pocket on the way out…

McCoy? OK…well, first of all, does ANYTHING account for the success of the Broncos this year more than Peyton Manning? The answer is no. Having Peyton Manning right now is like having an elite QB, a coach, an OC, and a tremendous leader all rolled up into one person’s body. He augmented an offense that already had a very good running game and a couple of stud WR’s in place and ready to roll. Hmmmm…sound familiar to anyone? I take nothing away from Todd Haley and his contribution as our OC in 2008. But he left and our offense didn’t miss a beat during 2009 with Kurt Warner in place and our offense dialed in. I’m guessing it would be the same with Denver’s offense if McCoy departed, as long as Manning is there and healthy. The moral of the story is, how much of it comes from the coordinator and how much of it comes from having an elite QB on the field for all 17 games? McCoy ain’t bringing Manning or Damaryius Thomas or his O-line with him to Arizona, so…how much of THEIR success is gonna come with him?

Lovie Smith and Norv Turner are names that excite me and I hear nothing about them and the Cardinals.

IMHO, THE most important thing that a HC needs to be is a leader of men. He needs to be someone who instantly commands the attention of 53 guys when he walks into the room. Look at the names connected with the Cardinals right now…does anyone see that with any of them??? I see Lovie Smith as a guy who would have that walking in the door right now. And I think the importance of that cannot be understated.

Just sayin…

30. By G. Witt on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

First of all Kurt & Larry made Todd Haley “LOOK GOOD”.He had many arguments on the side lines with Warner & Bolden just to name a couple.. It always looked like my way or the highway when the cameras were on him. He rubs people the wrong way. I DON’T WANT HIM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just look at his record in KC. He didn’t look any better in Pittsburg either.
    We certainly don’t need any of the Ryan family running any offense, defense or special teams. We already had loud mouth Buddy Ryan and his two loud mouth sons here. What a joke that was.
    No one could fore see the injuries that would keep Kolb out for that many games, the turf toe & especially the rib injury, but after watching Skelton, Whiz should have been looking for QB with experience as a back up, and not wait until 3 weeks until the end of the season.
    I hope Kolb returns, as we were 4 & 0 while he was the QB.

31. By craig on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Totally agree with the Horton, Turner, and Ryan combo would be awesome. Makes me smile just to think it.

32. By Dynosoar on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals212,

Dead on!

33. By D on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

With Lewan going back to MI, Cards need to trade down, if they can’t then take C. Warmack– the whole world saw on Monday how he is dominate at G

34. By D on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

A staff of Haley, Castillo and Horton would be great…(maybe only for a year with Horton)

35. By Stephen on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Curious about the reports that Juan Castillo is interviewing, presumably for OL coach. Would it be possible that the new HC has been selected but not announced (possibly due to being in the playoffs) and we are preemptively recruiting his preferred positional coaches?

36. By frustrated on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Haley spent too much time in the secrecy of KC and it may now be showing up.

37. By Chuck 1 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Although Michael has hired Keim, I’m still leery about the extent of his involvement in the draft and FA decisions over the last few years e.g. did he RECOMMEND failures like Skelton and Lindley etc.?

If he did, look for more of the same player decisions and few playoff appearances.

38. By john the draft guy on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I’m in Nashville for work and staying in the Gaylord hotel by the Grand Ole Opry. There were around 7000 college coaches here from around the country.

It was interesting to watch the networking and how head coaches were asking questions to fellow coaches about someone who might not view coaching long term. Or other types of concerns, while others were looking for moves. Very interesting to see this in play. It sheds a light on how this hiring and putting together a staff works for the cards.

One thing I heard, and I’m not saying it is a good source because it wasn’t Michael Bidwill, but all the same, I heard the cards were waiting for Miller to hire as head coach and believe Horton will not get a HC position and will return as DC.

Any thoughts?

39. By Cactus jeff on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I hope the HC will be a veteran wanting absolute power, a Chip Kelly or Bill Cowher type. I have no faith in Keim. He will be the Max Hall of GMs. He said the Cards are not in a rebuilding process, ridiculous! They have no QB. By definition no Qb means rebuilding. A smart GM would look at this roster and say no QB, no OL, slow WRs, only 2 defensive linemen, and no RBs.

Who was the one who pushed for Dan Williams and Michael Floyd as number one picks? I am guessing Keim.

40. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: coaches

Miller?

41. By Chuck 1 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Scott H,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment regarding Lovie Smith.
    It’s puzzling that the Cards appear to have NO interest in even talking with him.

42. By BIG RED on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Please no Haley and also the 1/3 season QB kolb.

43. By Jesse Robles on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Ask the Chiefs how Haley is as a HC, another one of Kurt Warners Products out getting a HC interview. Get away from what you know, stop hiring your friends, paying people to hang out on the sidelines. Haley is not a HC in the NFL sorry.

44. By kgjr22 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Hire Horton as Head Coach , Please rather him here then somewhere else. Bring over Turner from San Diego as OC and Ryan as DC. Can you say what a COACHING COMBO. Make it happen BIDWELL. Who Agrees with me RISE UP BIG RED!!!!!!!!

45. By Nick on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

No one agrees with you. Ryan??? He’s done nothing.

46. By Madriffs on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Forget about Norv Turner. If we are making a wish list of coaches, I would take Chan Gailey over Turner as OC anyday.

47. By Darren on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

for all of you NOT wanting Haley…but like Warner…please read this exect from a Warner interview

The two-time NFL MVP believes Haley would have been a great hire for Arizona, if circumstances were different.
    “Obviously, I thought Todd would be a great fit — familiar with players, the system and obviously the coaching staff,” Warner stated.
    But with offensive coordinator Mike Miller entrenched in his role with the Cardinals, Warner doesn’t see Haley accepting a lesser role at this stage of his coaching career or for Miller to have to look over his shoulder.
    “The one thing that I felt was going to be difficult from day one was that coach Whiz is an extremely loyal guy,” Warner explained. “And when he brought Mike Miller here and Mike’s paid his dues and moved up to that offensive coordinator position, I knew it was going to be tough for Whiz to demote Mike or change that dynamic because Mike did a tremendous job down the stretch and really has earned his stripes there.”
    Still, there is no doubt that Haley would have brought a plethora of ideas and schemes to the table in any capacity on the Cardinals’ staff, but the level of responsibility he would expect to hold just isn’t available.
    “It would be difficult to be in that hierarchy where you really feel like you know what you should do in this situation or what you should call or what plays you should design and to know that there are still two people above you that can kind of veto you — is a difficult thing to do,” Warner stated.

48. By Bill L on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Promoting from within is SCARY for a Franchise in such disarray……did they find an unrecognized GEM……or, someone who has already proven he will just go along to get along.

YEARS of incompetence to be renewed AGAIN, or a TRUE effort to give ARIZONA a Competive team?………all you can go by is history, and the STAMPEDE or lack thereof of truly qualified people fighting to be part of the turn arround………so far History and the L’s reaction(s) say……….SAME OL, SAME OL’, Charlie Brown.

ONLY good thing is that the Penthouse can’t much afford another abysmal year. Start losing butts in the seats and the motivation either way is to…….GET A DARN TEAM ON THE FIELD!!!! But, has too much talent been wasted……has too much credibility been lost……..and, what if the competent people have no intention of trusting their career(s) to some expressed , but not demonstrated, epiphany?

Well, something about chickens coming home to roost…..or, burning your bridges…….or, trust me……… Bottom Line, I’ll believe it when I see it

49. By john the draft guy on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Did I mix his name up? The guy from Denver.

50. By john the draft guy on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I just saw my mistake. Mike McCoy is who I was referring to.

The thought here was Horton wasn’t getting promoted and the cards really like McCoy and plan on hiring him (as one guy put it) after the Broncos win the Super Bowl.

51. By Dynosoar on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Bill L,

I’d like to understand your posts a little better than just from your words. You put in thedots……for a purpose and if I’m to get the most from your posts, it’d be helpful to understand your intentions with the…….dots.

Thanks. As a side, I like Charlie Brown.
    Not carzy about the same ol, same ol, but I don’t think these are the same ol Cardinals.

52. By Dynosoar on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I want our Cardinals to be a Super Bowl dynasty and I believe Bidwill has the same goals.

I don’t see eliminating all but one member of the offensive coaching staff and the HC and GM as being the “same ol’ Cards.” Some of our “great” players were legends in their own minds and wanted out of Arizona, for whatever reason.

The best place to work is where we’re a good fit for the company AND the company is a good fit for us. Anything less means we should be looking for somewhere else to be employed, preferably before the company begins looking. And we should learn from Boldin and work our tails off until we find that better fit.

He and others wanted out of here and I don’t think the fit was right. Good for them, they seem happier where they are and I don’t think we could’ve kept them, for whatever reason. (Boldin, Dansby, Breaston, Rolles and a few others, probably not DRC, but Peterson is at least statistically better. Ahh, to have Peterson and DRC, now that would be Awsome.)

These are not the same ol Cards. Bidwill went after and secured arguably the finest stadium and fascilities in the NFL. He just fired and is actively seeking to replace around half of our coaching staff. The organization has retained the tallents of top players and renewed contracts. We’ve been to a Super Bowl, our first championship since the fifties. We created an environement where the others three teams in our division realized they had to step up there game (that’s never happened, we were always responding to others… or not responding at all.)

These are not the “Same Ol Cards.” Michael Bidwill has transformed our culture and so did Whizenhunt. Our next coach will share Bidwill’s desire for success and we’ll be a payer and be playing in playoffs soon enough.

This Cardinals organization is truly different. Our Cardinals are a new breed of Cards.

53. By Dynosoar on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

would an article detailing the cultural changes you’ve seen since you’ve been here be a good idea for an article? I know I’ve touched on some, but as we all know, you’ve got you’re finger on the pulse and I’m just looking in through the small square window in the door that requires me to stand on my tip-toes to look through.

I just continue seeing comments about the same ol Cards and I don’t see it. Just because we’re not winning over the last couple years doesn’t mean we’re the same ol Cards. We’re different, but so are San Fransisco, Seattle and St. Louis. It’s a different ballgame now. (Sorry, couldn’t resist the pun.)

Wheteher you do an article on this or no, thanks for always considering our comments and questions.

54. By AzAnthony on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I definetly do not want anything to do with Rob Ryan. The position the Cardinals are in with Horton is a strange one, he’s ours as DC for 2013 unless he gets a HC job. I imagine HC canidates have been told that Horton will be the DC and they won’t be able to bring in their guy. Why would you anyways, if there is a strength to this team it is the defense. A new DC may mean a new defensive scheme, we have enough trouble on offense we don’t need that level of change on both sides of the ball. I have never been a fan of Turner as a HC, as an OC I’m not sure. Was it him or was it Smith, Aikman, Irvin, Novachek, Johnson, Harper, and that unbelievable offensive line? Did he coach them up or was he smart enough to know what he had and how to make the best use of it?

I think I like Keim, I heard that he wanted AP over Levi Brown. Brown was Russ Grim’s man, worst O-line coach ever. A previous post asked if Dan Williams was Keim’s man, I think not, pretty sure that was Whisenhut’s call. I think Floyd was Whisenhut’s call as well. My question is who made the calls on Massie and Potter. After a rough start I think Massie played really well, and Potter exceeded expectations. Is Potter a franchise Left Tackle, certainly wasn’t drafted as one, but his level of play in his rookie year leads me to believe he can become one. Brown’s return from injury gives the Cardinals more quality (not pro-bowl level) depth at the tackle position than I can ever remember. If I were to rate the Cardinals OL by position for the year, I would give the tackles a C, and I would give the interior lineman and F. I would go lower if a lower grade existed. There was never a pocket for any Cards QB to step up into, Sendlien, College, and Snyder were terrible. These guys are veterans and they stink. There’s a reason Green Bay and San Fran didn’t want College and Snyder anymore. Interior Defensive Lineman of every Cardinals oppenent dominated the line of scrimage.

Draft Day wishes, interior OL, RB, and a WR that can take the top off the defense. There is no QB in the draft that can fix the Cardinals problems at that postion.

55. By rimrunner on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

the thought of hiring rob ryan is nothing other than stupid. if horton gets the HC position theyneed to make sure they hire the best OC available like norv and just promote from within on the defensive side or someone with his core values as DC so that he can keep his hands on the defense a little bit.

I believe the HC should go to Horton or McCoy. Horton bc of obvious reasons and especially Mccoy because he can adapt his offense to his personel unlike whiz, example Horton to Tebow to Manning, enough said

56. By Dynosoar on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey everyone,

you’ve got to refresh this page until you get the Tide comercial across the bar at the top. There are little videos about the origin and evolution of the colors of most all the NFL teams. It’s way cool.

I’d love to see a real throwback uniform to either the 20′s or the mid thirties uniform. The red uniform with the white across the shoulders and collar of the mid thirties looks spectatcular.

So, which early uniform do y’all want to see as a throwback?

57. By Dynosoar on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

It’s fitting when the tide commercial for our team explains the change in logo to an angrier, more dominant and predatory Cardinal, they show Darnell getting set at the scrimage line. Y’all gotta see the video. I’m going to record it myself.

58. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: McCoy

That is a possible scenario.

59. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Culture change

I’ve thought about it. But unfortunately, that kind of thing, done as objectively as I could and would, would probably still come off as self-serving on a team website.

60. By jwilliamsspf on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

My vote is to hire Horton and hopefully he can persuade Turner to take the offense. Then Horton puts together HIS defensive staff without the input of fans on message boards. I know that contradicts my first sentence. But this process will take care of itself and Keim is a smart dude. Excited for April Draft and FA.

61. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Cardinals colors video

62. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

You’re likely correct about McCoy/Manning, but that isn’t where the interest in him primarily lies. He’s the same guy who redid his offense in the middle of the season (can’t remember the last time somebody pulled that off) to make the switch from Orton to Tebow, which, as we all remember, eventually translated into a playoff victory over Pittsburgh. I’m sure many will recall how well Denver’s defense played, but it was still an incredible adjustment to make at that point in time. I was a Whisenhunt fan, but will concede that there was no changing his offense, regardless of who was taking the snaps. Having a guy like McCoy who can obviously adjust on the fly could be exactly what we need until our QB situation is resolved. Could explain, as well, why nothing has been announced yet with Denver still being in the playoffs.

63. By Kevin S on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Even if Keim had involvement in what you describe as “failures like Skelton and Lindley,” I wouldn’t hold that against him too much. Those guys were 5th and 6th round picks. In Skelton’s case, he actually exceeded expectations in his first two years in my view (the fact that anyone could come in from Fordham and play in those few games at the end of his first season without completely embarrassing himself — with the team actually winning two of the games, even if in spite of more than because of his play — was actually pretty impressive, as was the team’s success behind him in the second half of last year). I’m not a Skelton fan and have never thought he was the QB of the future for the Cardinals, but he and Lindley were both late-round flyers who never should have been expected to be more than backups.

I’m more interested in what Keim had to say about picks like Floyd and Dan Williams. In Floyd’s case, he may still end up over a career proving himself to be a #1 receiver, and maybe 10 years from now we’ll be glad he was chosen, but he certainly didn’t fit the team’s need in 2012. Also our running backs (first rounder on Beanie, second rounder on RW; obviously we haven’t gotten the expected return on either).

64. By Kevin S on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

As far as the “waiting scenario” some have described… if in fact the Cards’ first choice were McCoy and they felt that Horton wasn’t going to get a head coaching offer anyway so they are fine with waiting this all out…

The fact is that if McCoy is their first choice and they are confident they can get him, then what happens to Horton over the next couple weeks should be irrelevant. One of the dumbest things the team could do is to give their second (or third, or lower) choice the HC job just to keep him from leaving. Which job is more important, HC or DC? If you were on the board of a company choosing a new CEO and the company had a good COO or other executive who applied, and it would be a loss to lose him but you ultimately didn’t think he was the right guy for the CEO job, the worst thing to do is give the job to him anyway just to keep him from leaving.

Now, it might be a different matter if they only had a slight preference for McCoy AND Horton was their second choice AND they thought there was a risk that Horton might get another HC offer AND they thought they might ultimately not be able to land McCoy (either because he might take a job somewhere else, or because he might decide that head coaching for the Cardinals is not all that good a gig). In that scenario, you might “settle” for your 2nd choice (Horton) now because of a risk that if you don’t do so, you will end up with neither your first nor your second choice. So if John the draft guy’s scenario is correct (that the preference is McCoy), then the question is, how likely is it that if we offer him the job, he takes it?

65. By Louisville Card on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I’ve been seeing reports about Castillo interviewing for the OL position any truth to that? He would be a great hire…

66. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Chuck1

Yeah, buddy, I hear you. I guess I have to wonder why Smith has not generated much interest from anyone to this point, but…geez, how do you ignore a bona fide HC who’s team was 10-6 last year??? He is clearly more of a knowm commodity than ANYONE else out there right now. How do you not AT LEAST bring him in for an interview???

Smith as HC…Norv Turner as OC…Horton as DC….that sure would make me pretty damn happy right now. And it appears to be all there for the taking.

NOTHING about anyone else in the discussion at this point excites me in the least. And after the last 3 years…it’s just a lousy feeling to not be excited about where it might be going.

67. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

BTW, i still think we should give Keim a uniform and put him on the O-line. That is one big, nasty looking dude!

68. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Castillo

I saw that report. I have not heard anything further than the original report.

69. By Chuck 1 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S.,

My point in mentioning Skelton and Lindley was to point out that taking QBs in the 5th and 6th rounds will most probably not result in QBs who will be able to
    help the team win consistently. We saw that, especially this season.
    If Keim, with his responsibility for player evaluation, didn’t strongly recommend to Graves and Whiz that they NEEDED to draft a QB in earlier rounds, he failed the Bidwills, coaches and fans.
    Regarding Floyd, Beanie, Williams et al, I completely agree.
    Too many questionable draft and FA decisions have been made over the last five or so years e.g. Faneca, Porter, Haggan, McFadden, Gay and the draftees.

I’m hoping that I’m wrong about Keim’s draft and FA decision making. We’ll see this Spring.

70. By Chuck 1 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,

Good to see you back.
    I like your insightful comments.

71. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingbone -

Always enjoy your replies. I hear ya about McCoy but his connection to the Broncos with Tebow last year isn’t worth 2 cents, as far as I’m concerned. The games they were winning with Tebow were about as un-convincing as ANY wins could possibly be. It was a gimmick and I think everyone knew it – especially the Broncos, which is why after winning those games AND a game in the playoffs, they made a bee-line for Peyton Manning and got Tebow on the very next train out of town! They knew what they had and what they needed.

Manning would have made just about ANY OC in the league this year a viable HC candidate, playing the way he did. I think it just adds up to a huge question mark with McCoy right now. But then again, it seems like huge question marks are about all there is to choose from if you’re looking for a HC right now, so… what the heck? Let the crap shoot begin! Let’s just hope we don’t end up with, well…crap.

72. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

Sounds like we’re in agreement about Tebow, but not about McCoy. I was very impressed that he could design an offense, in the middle of the season, with a QB as limited as Tebow that managed to turn their season around. If he could implement an offense that highlighted Tebow’s strengths, it was fairly obvious what he could do with a guy like Manning. Again, to do that in the middle of the season tells me a lot about his communication and offensive terminology. Now, as it applies to us I think he could have gotten much better results with Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer (dazzling group) than what Whisenhunt did. I liked him, don’t get me wrong, but expecting them to run his offense the way Warner did was completely unrealistic. His whole, ‘we have a system in place’ mindset eventually did him in with the group he had. McCoy knew the system he had never could have worked with Tebow, so he adjusted. To me, he sounds like the right guy for the job with the QB’s we have.

We’ll see.

73. By Keith on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Exactly what kind of picks did we get for AJ Jefferson going to the Vikings?
    Also, I’m seeing a lot of people complaining about how draft picks pan out at the end of the year. But right after the draft I see a lot of people raving about our draft. Even the best drafting team misses on picks.
    I’ve been seeing the 49ers and Seahawks having some great drafts of recent, but they have had bad ones too!
    Lets hope for the best!