Among the all-NFC West

Posted by Darren Urban on January 14, 2013 – 4:30 pm

We know that linebacker Daryl Washington was named second-team all-pro by the Associated Press — that’s the “big” one — but the Cardinals, at least defensively, did OK on a couple of recent all-NFC West teams that came out.

Defensive end Calais Campbell, cornerback Patrick Peterson and safety Kerry Rhodes were all named to profootballfocus.com’s team, which isn’t a surprise. They had been pointing out the years of Campbell and Rhodes all season, pushing them for Pro Bowl status. And they had good things to say about Peterson, even if they didn’t see him as one of the top two corners in the conference. They acknowledged Daryl Washington’s big year, but didn’t pick him.

Mike Sando over at ESPN had the Peterson, Campbell and Washington, leaving off Rhodes. The play of that young trio is why people have such enthusiasm for the Cards’ defense, even as older vets like Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett move toward passing the torch.

– Ken Whisenhunt’s head coaching interview tour continued Monday. He had already talked to Buffalo, Cleveland (twice), San Diego and then Philadelphia on Monday.

DwashPFFUse

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Among the all-NFC West”

1. By Bill L on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

PFF….NO Washington, that I see……….However, I see 20 SEA and SF players……..are they just luckier……..draft from a different pool……..or, a lot……I MEAN A LOT smarter than what we’ve HAD doing the work…..Seems they have been 3 or 4 times better…..DAMN!!!!!!, we just promoted the second team from WITHIN!!!!………LORD have MERCY!!!

2. By cardfanbirth88 on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

I’m just wondering if Mike McCoy is just using the cardinals like andy did to get a big pay day

3. By D on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

Cards have alot of work to do before they can think about winning the division, that is why finding outside HC people is difficult. The other three teams have young QB’s and plenty of talent and AZ has some cap issues too. It will be a 2yr to 3yr process with so much to do on offense, that is why trading off a Dockett (doubt if possible) should be looked at for cap relief and extra draft picks….

4. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

Not a topical question Darren but do you feel Whisenhunt is interviewing for OC jobs now as opposed to the HC?
    And @ Bill L :
    Have you read Stephen King’s short story “Survivor Type”? Your posts always remind me of that novella.

“taste like ladyfingers, just like ladyfingers.”

5. By Patrick on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

Seems like if the cardinals want McCoy to come in for a second interview and that is the guy they are targeting, does not look good that he goes to San Diego for a first interview. Maybe just scheduling, but if he was the cardinals choice, then I would expect this would be his first stop if the feeling was mutual.

6. By georgiebird on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

Very poor representation by Cardinals’ defense. Fact may be that the strongest argument for Horton is that he has taken some average talent and put together an OK defense.
    And given the proper situation, Darnell Dockett is still the best Cardinals’ defensive player. DD can’t function in the 3-4.

7. By Andy Kw on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

-If this team is going to draft any Cornerback, just draft Melvin White in the 5th round. He, one day, will be a full time starter and could replace William Gay in the future.
    -If this team is going to draft a Quarterback, just draft Matt Barkley in the 1st round. This team needs to take a gamble on a Quarterback like him. Don’t draft any other QB but him or Geno Smith.
    -If this team is going to draft an elite Linebacker to replace Paris Lenon, I would say that this team should draft Jarvis Jones in the 2nd round but I bet that he will be gone before then so I would say that this team drafts Kevin Minter. He is fast, a good pass rusher and a good tackler which this team lacked a bit.
    -This team should draft a Tackle in the 3rd round. This team doesn’t really need any Offensive Linemen but since the fans are so pressed to getting one, this team should get OT Ricky Wagner. He will be available in the 3rd Round guaranteed and if this team is going to improve on the run game, this team will need the presence of Levi Brown on the left and Ricky Wagner on the right. OT Bobby Massie and OT Nate Potter should compete for both left and right tackle spots either way even if he is drafted or not.
    -For the 4th Round, this team needs to draft a Wide Receiver to replace Early Doucet. Early Doucet has been prone to dropping balls so I would hope this team will provide more weapons for this team to improve the offense so WR Rodney Smith would be the answer. He has the height, the decent hands, and good on vertical routes. He could be a good run blocker too so I have no doubt in my mind that this Wide Receiver will be looked at for this team.
    -I feel that this team will be looking at another Offensive Linemen so I would expect this team to draft a Guard. I believe that Theo Goins would be a perfect fit. He has the strength to improve the running game of this team.
    -For the 7th Round, this team should look at getting a Running Back. Alfred Morris was drafted in the 6th round and look at what he has become. I believe that George Winn will be that type of back. He lacks consistency but he has the ability to prove all NFL Analysts wrong that he is a Running Back to can reach the next level.
    Overall Draft of 2013:
    1.) QB Matt Barkley (USC)
    2.) LB Kevin Minter (LSU)
    3.) OT Rickey Wagner (Wisconsin)
    4.) WR Rodney Smith (Florida St.)
    5.) DB Melvin White (Louisiana-Lafayette)
    6.) OG Theo Goins (Central Florida)
    7.) RB George Winn (Cincinnati)

What do you think Darren? (I know this is too early again but in your thought, do you like my REALLY early choices?) Please give me your thoughts on each player, thanks.

8. By Wildcard on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

We’ve interviewed 3 coach’s to every other teams 13+. Bidwills same old same old is making me a Niner fan.

9. By Patrick on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

I still think it is amazing how fast Whisenhunt fell from week 11-14. I did not here a lot of rumblings about him being fired after the bye week other than the usual crowd. After the Atlanta game there were a lot of people questioning his decision making and about 15% calling for him to be fired. After the rams game about 30-35% were calling for his head. After the jets game about 60-65%. After the Seattle game about 90%. Just an amazing four game stretch!

10. By Scharf on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

@Bill L,

While the 49ers and Seahawk players are good, a lot of what has to do with these voting is just how their team is doing. Had the Cardinals of went 12-4 this year, maybe we see a lot more recognition for how the defense played.

11. By will on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

@Bill
    We have drafted much better then both Seattle and SF over the past 4 or 5 years. Actually we have been one of the best drafting teams in the league over that span. We have good players in every round and even have gotten franchise players every year. Name another team that has drafted about 10 cornerstone players in the last 4 years.

We have drafted Washington, Peterson, Campbell, Acho, Potter + Massie (both looked really good over the last 7 games), Housler, Floyd, Roberts, Toler (when healthy), R. Johnson, Fleming.. etc…

We have continuously drafted players that contribute

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: Whiz

I’d be surprised if Whiz would do that at this point with open HC spots.

13. By Chuck 1 on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

will,

When the Cards haven’t drafted a QB or OL in EARLY ROUNDS, they have NOT drafted BETTER than the 9ers or Seahawks.
    Without shoring up those two positions, I don’t care if they drafted 11 guys for the defense who all made the Pro Bowl, we’ve seen what the team’s record has been: 5-11, 8-8 and 5-11.
    Without an offense a team can’t win games.

14. By tom on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

@wildcard, then go be a bandwagon fan! we dont need you! us real fans will support the cause.

15. By clssylssy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

According to Mike Florio (who seems to have an inside scoop consistently) the Cards are expected to hire McCoy as HC and keep Horton at DC. After the Denver game, I’m just not that impressed with McCoy although I had my doubts before about him being anything more than a cardboard cutout/name on the door OC for Elway/Manning. If this happens I think we will see Horton hit the door as soon as the first opportunity arises or when his contract is up, which ever comes first and while I’m not convinced he can fix our offense, we’ve pretty much painted ourselves into a corner. Other teams are interviewing Gus Bradley, OC for the Seahawks, Greg Roman, OC for the 9ers and Brian Shottenheimer, OC for the Rams, while the Cards haven’t really been all that active in expanding their search beyond a few, and, for some reason, Haley’s name is shrouded in mystery.Why is that Darren? Do you see the Cards interviewing Bradley, Roman , Shottenheimer or Bruce Arians? If the franchise is looking for young blood “football guys” I think Brian Shottenheimer or Kyle Shanahan would certainly fill that bill although I know the Redskins have stated publicly that Kyle won’t be availlable until after next year’s SB. Shottenheimer appears to have done very well with the Rams and certainly has the knowledge and connections around the league. During the Raven’s game the announcer also said that if Whisenhunt didn’t get the job in San Diego he would likely end up as OC in Denver…interesting. I can see him there before I can see him in Philly as he runs a pretty tight ship, has high moral and ethical standards for his players and Philly’s roster reads like the team in “The Longest Yard”!
    As far as talent goes, we have a lot of talent, we just can’t seem to develop the talent once we get it and it sort of dies on the vine. Teams like the 9ers “find” players like Kapernick while we are still trying to “fix” QBs who have not been able to get the job done either because of injury or because they went undeveloped. Nonetheless, I am proud of our players and coaches and the good example they set in the community and would not want a coach like Pete Carroll who has always been surrounded by a cloud of impropriety with his performance enhanced players or a bunch of thugs like the 9ers (lesser of two evils) with their rude and arrogant motor mouth coach.!

16. By Bill L on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Andy, No I haven’t……..Will, enjoy the Kool-Aid.

Hiring a HC……especially an OC HC……..what does AZ offer?;

1. NO competitive O-Line……that will likely take 2-3 years to fix, and will not be a UNIT for another 2 or so……If the intention actually EXISTS to fix it and bring it up to SF and SEA.
    2. A Regime that ignored the O-line in the past and Just promoted a GM from within that regime.
    3. A QB that the franchise does not seem to like or want ……. and will likely be replaced.
    4. Because of #1…..no running game
    5. Because of #1…..no Passing Game, for lack of protection…..and maybe QB
    6. Generally NO O….except for 1 highly paid receiver that you can’t get the ball to….and eats up tons of Cap space.
    7. Only Good thing is Gaining HC experience and adding HC to your resume.

So if a current OC is looking for a LT career in the NFL……is the damage to your Rep worth having HC on your resume after you move on……..and you will move on. A DC HC is protected by a decent/good D, but an OC is just going to be viewed as damaged goods…………………..Then again he could rely that Bidwill really did have an epiphany………..DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!!!!

17. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

It is tough for Darren to answer you because we have no idea who the head coach is and therefore no idea what systems will be ran. I’m looking forward to senior bowl week and seeing guys work against each other also.

Now if you want to say McCoy is HC and Horton is DC, and assume McCoy runs the same offense they are doing in Denver, then here is my opinion.

1. I’m not a fan of Barkley or Smith. For Geno, he faded in big games and put up his huge stats against inferior teams. He reminds me of Vince Young. Barkley does not have an elite arm. Thinking of the passes asked to do in an NFL, I don’t know if he can make them all. Now Barkley to KC and Reids west coast offense? maybe.
    I think a combo of McCoy’s offensive mind to make the most of a QBs strengths and Tyler Wilsons big arm and toughness would be better.

2. Minter would be a solid pick. There is zero chance Jarvis Jones gets out of the first round, let alone the top 20. I would have no issue with this pick but I would also look at OLB Okafer from Texas and RB Eddie Lacy and Eric Reid Safety from LSU.

3. I didnt watch any Wisconsin games, so I don’t know the tackle you have. But I think that we have 3 tackles and I’m comfortable with them playing tackle. I may look at a swing player like DJ Fluker or Dallas Thomas that are tackles who can also play guard. Another player to consider would be Alec Olgetree, ILB if you grab Okafer or Lacy instead of Minter.

4. I really have no interest in another wr. I like the top 5 we have. Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, Doucet and Byrd. But, if you really wanted to replace Doucet, I like Kenny Stills of OK. I also might take a look at Michigans QB Denard Robinson as a slot wr.
    With 3 big wrs on the team, there is no need to add a 6’5″ wr to sit behind Fitz, Floyd and Byrd. I don’t see Smith playing slot.

I really don’t like going deep into the draft in mocks because at this point, so many variables can come into play. But here are a few late round picks I like;

a couple TEs late could be Joseph Fauria of UCLA or Michael Williams of Bama.
    A RB in rounds 6 or 7 would be Knile Davis. At 6′ and 230 and will run a 4.3-4.4 40, he is interesting. 2 years ago, he had 1300 yds and 13 tds. He broke his foot last year and was very disappointing this year.
    Meshak Williams would be a guy to look at for OLB in the late rounds. K st. product doesnt have an elite burst but made plays against both pass and rush.

Just my opinion

18. By jasonsoroski on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I would hate to see Arizona draft a USC QB in the top 10. We’ve seen that before. . .

19. By Scott H on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey, great! Now, all we need is about 10 new guys on offense….