• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

McCoy headed to Chargers

Posted by Darren Urban on January 15, 2013 – 8:12 am

The Cardinals, it seemed, wanted to get a second chance to talk to Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy about their open head coaching job. It certainly doesn’t look like they will get it, not after the news early Tuesday that McCoy is finalizing a deal to become the Chargers head coach and has told the Broncos he is leaving. (In an interesting twist, former Cards coach Ken Whisenhunt reportedly would be a candidate to replace McCoy as Broncos offensive coordinator, which if it comes to pass would mean Whiz got to team up with Peyton Manning after all.)

UPDATE: McCoy to Chargers is done.

With McCoy going elsewhere, that leaves defensive coordinator Ray Horton and Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. (I know I don’t have Todd Haley in here. Maybe I should but I just don’t see it. Could be totally wrong.) I am going on gut here only, but I’d think Horton would have a strong chance at this point. I have no idea who his assistants would be on the offensive side of the ball — I’m not sure anyone does, outside of Cards’ ownership and the front office — but I don’t think anyone would be hired without confidence in those choices. Again, president Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim know how poorly the offense played and how it must be fixed. Bidwill insisted he wouldn’t make a choice based on offense/defense, but Gruden is an offensive guy.

Does this mean a decision will be made today? We will see. Anymore, it’s tough to forecast anything in a world of coaching searches that seem to change every few hours.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

97 Responses to “McCoy headed to Chargers”

1. By jocards on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

As I have feared all along; Arizona and the Bidwills are a very tough sell for coaching candidates that have other options.

2. By gbrim on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Problem is abysmal level of talent on roster. Team lacks talent, is much older than the average NFL team, and the offensive scheme has been broken. It isn’t a surprise that a coach with other HC options would choose one of those. The question for M Bidwill and Keim is—how do we get younger and more talented? I would submit that is far more important than the name of the next head coach. And whoever that coach is will need patience and support from the front office and the fans–he is walking in to a team rebuild whether the front office wants to state that publicly or not.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

A chance to fix Rivers had to be a great motivator.

You see Andy KW and D, this changes those mock drafts in my opinion. Who is the OC? Does Horton fill his defensive holes first if he is HC? Will Keim take the reins and draft who he wants?
    So many variables.

4. By Chris on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see the Cards close the deal again and get their man! Like Horton, but it’s pretty obvious that we were the only team that considers him a serious candidate, so we end up with our 3rd choice. I’m really hoping he has someone other than Kirby Wilson in mind for OC, as it appears we’ll have a rookie HC and DC.

Is it too late to un-fire Whiz?

Let the spin begin!

5. By K-DUB on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Now we wasted all that time and Ray lost his offensive coordinator to Cleveland. These early front office decisions are making me wince a bit.

6. By G. Witt on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Come on,
    you really didn’t think he was going to come here, did you???

7. By Billy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

We have interviewed 3 people and have struggled to even do that. This team is a joke. Every other team brought in 10 + coaches to interview. We can barely do 3. Bidwill wonders why he owns the oldest team without a winning season… WELL Bidwill this is it. NO ONE WANTS TO COME HERE BECAUSE OF YOU BIDWILL.

Sell THE TEAM BIDWILL… SELL THE TEAM!

8. By MIKE G on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well. I would have hoped Whisenhunt was still the Card’s coach. I have no problem with a Horton hire but I hope the Cards remain patient in maybe interviewing Greg Roman from the 49ers–there is no need to hurry a hire as long as they get their man.
    There are still 4 teams left in the playoffs and I hope they are eyeing Greg Roman!!! Hey Darren–Do you think there is a strong possability the Card’s are waiting for an interview from one of the 4 remaining playoff teams????

9. By barry on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

again all we do is wait for something to happen and dont be aggresive..no wonder we are the laughing stock of NFL…we end up with d. Green’s and K Whisenhuts…thats the problem we need a coach and we don’t open our wallets to pay them/attract them.

10. By rimrunner on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

ur not going to hire a offensive coordinater for head coach when u havnt fixed the quarterback spot since warner left, GO AHEAD AN HIRE THE ONLY PERSON THAT WANTS ITS HORTON

11. By Duane Spencer on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I really disagree there is a lack of talent on this team. In this age of parity, we have as much pure talent as just about anybody. What we need is a leadership (either in coaching or players) that can reach into the players hearts and pull them out of mediocrity. I am a huge fan of Whiz and will miss him a great deal, but the last couple of years the team wasn’t “his” … he couldn’t seem to make the necessary moves to adjust to the talent and mind set we have.
    That is why I was so hoping that McCoy would end up here, he has shown several times that he is flexible and molds his game to the team.
    Now, I’m praying for Mr Horton to get the job, the D loves him and I think given the right OC that we are a good, if not better than average team.
    We do need some positions to be fixed, RB, QB, and OL depth are primary (in my opinion). In reading the online mock drafts everyone says we “have” to take a tackle in the first and we are SOL on getting a QB this year. What I hope for is getting more picks and having enough picks to make a difference in rounds 3, 4 and 5….

12. By cardsalltheway on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

If only peeps had been listening to me back when I was one of the first to start calling for the firing of Ken W., in fact I think I was the 1st? Ohhh, I remember how I was attacked when I didn’t think Ken W. should’ve cut M. Leinart but in hindsight(and I knew it) that was when it all began. Such progressive thinkers the Cardinals have/had on the QB front. Hey Darren, you were one of my first attackers weren’t you, or at least you joined in? The point is it’s best to tread lightly with QB’s and Ken W. never did nor has anyone within the Cardinals Org. shown to have much QB knowledge even though that’s what they all get paid for.

13. By Elrey Brooks on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Bring in Mike Holmgreen, he knows how to Master the NFC west. Otherwise just hire Ray Horton and Hue Jackson offensive coordinator

14. By pwhit on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I think that the Cards job is a great destination for an asst looking for a HC spot. Whisenhunt is the perfect example. The Cardinals waited on the coach until they hired their GM but when they did they failed to press for the best coach available. They should have been in the stadium on Saturday waiting to greet McCoy at the tunnel if they wanted him bad enough. It is a problem of failed execution on the part of the front office. I say hire Gruden…Horton isn’t going anywhere and as the article stated who would he get to run the offense? They need to move forward with their coach now not later.

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Waiting

I suppose that is possible but I don’t know why they wouldn’t have tried to get with him earlier.

16. By Dave Chaney on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

What has prevented other top name coaches from taking the Cards job in the past? It hasn’t changed. This team has no winning tradition to fall back on, an ownership that is notorious for being cheap and now to top all that, no QB, RB or OL. What does all this mean? I believe the Cards will stay in house and Ray Horton will be named the new head coach as early as Thursday. The fans support him, and the players will also, plus at least half the team knows his system. The next big task is getting an OC who can fix all that is wrong on that side of the ball. But with half the task already in place, it will not be such a high mountain to climb. Could be fixed by the 2nd season of Horton’s tenure (of course if he is named).

17. By Chad on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I think McCoy made the correct decisions, but this is frustrating as a fan who wanted to see the Bidwill’s bring in someone from the outside who could presumably fix the offense. With the promotion from within of Keim, and I’m guessing with Horton as well (heck, even Haley who was not impressive as KC’s HC), we’ve got people who have been part of this organization who are likely to do things the way they have been done before which means outcomes will most likely be the same – mediocre.

Of course, perhaps Horton is the fresh vision and fresh style that we need to make the next step into a consistent contender, but if he was, why wouldn’t you hire him a few weeks ago to start working on this roster?

I realize we as fans don’t know all the work done behind the scenes, but when you wait around for a coach (I’m assuming) and can’t even get an interview and are left with candidates who were available for several weeks, looks like you are in over your head.

18. By Bill L on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

How poorly the offense PLAYED?…….I would not choose that word……for all I know, and suspect, they PLAYED their hearts out. I would much prefer that Bidwill knows ……how poorly the offense was CONSTRUCTED……..years of neglect of an O-Line……..a 1& 2 for a QB that is likely to be discarded.

I would suspect that the Cards are have to SELL harder than any OC to HC prospect is SELLING. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall.

Unfortunately for both sides, the marriage will likely be made B4 FA and the draft……..which will serve as PROOF of how heartfelt the promises being made, if any, actually are. I know I’ll be watching with rapt attention.

It might be a more symbolic than sensible move to move up to #2 for Joeckel….but, atleast I would believe that somebody is trying to rebuild with great talent………rather than lip service…….and build RIGHT, with foundations before wall paper……….or, is that billboards.

19. By GW on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

CARDS NEED TRY TO FIND THEIR OWN IDENTITY AND STOP TRYING TO GO AFTER COACHES WHO REALLY DON’T WANT TO COME TO AZ.I SAY THIS BECAUSE THE CARDS HAVE A COACH WHO WANT TO BE IN AZ HORTON GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE FIND HIM A YOUNG ENERGETIC OC COACH AND LET THEM BUILD A IDENTITY FOR THE CARDS.BECAUSE THE NFC WEST IS NOT THE WORST DIV. ANYMORE.(EVERY COACH A ORGANIZATION TOOK A CHANCE)

20. By stevedco on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

It’s getting hard to be a fan of this organization.

Lose out on Reid and McCoy. (Not that I thought they were best choices but if Bidwill’s choice shouldn’t be losing those fights)

Rumor out there is that Keim is making $750,000 per year and lowest paid GM in NFL.

I have said that Bidwill has proven he is not cheap by signing players to long term deals and losing only Boldin, Dansby, Smith and Rolle but between the Keim pay, loosing coaches and failure to secure an adequate QB to back up Kolb hard to say anything but this team is cheap.

Darren, If Keim makes 50% of a real GM I hope you negotiated better to get 100% of a reporters salary.

21. By cardsalltheway on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Just hoping the Cardinals coaching graveyard doesn’t continue(after Ken W.) because I don’t really care about him since he had much to do with putting himself there. I suspect he will end up in the college ranks and if he’s lucky he’ll return to the NFL someday?

22. By bluepitt on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

So I sit here……..
    Deadpanning this screen wondering if I want to devote the next 25 years of my life to this crap! I can still remember getting Luis Sharpe, Stump Mitchell and Roy Green’s Autographs.
    We got to Midway Chevrolet late and as I got out of the truck I dropped my 20″x20″ Cardinal head banner, (I hand drew) when I picked it up I noticed 3 huge men walking to a suv one of the men stopped and watched me pick up my banner, he spoke to the other 2 guys and they walked over to me and started asking me if I was going in to see the Phoenix Cardinals? I was telling them how excited I was to finally meet “real” NFL player’s. They told me the Cards had already gone home for the evening (I was 12 yrs old)..After an awkward moment of silence the biggest one (Sharp) started laughing.. They then introduced them self’s to me. I was sold. I hadn’t had a NFL team favorite (well the 9ers.. Montana Rice) and had just found mine.

You now see my dilemma, There isn’t a word a fan of another team can say to me that can rattle me, I’ve heard it all. But at this point I am fed up! Tired of watching and envying teams like the Steelers, Pats, Ravens, Giants, Colts, I can go on and on. How do they keep on building Yes the colts went like 2-14 then right back in the playoffs. Those franchises are Truly committed to winning! We had a Playoff team go to the Super Bowl, were promised our “Core” Players would stay, now only 3 remain (Wilson, Fitz and Dock) Sure Warner called it quits but after that we were still a 9 to10 win team with the Crappy Leinart. Now we get rid of our “Ego” coach and are on the verge of getting another “Un proven Bigger Ego” Coach in Horton. I have said a lot of things in here 99.9% of them came to forition (Not Bad for a 25yr fan)

As I watch all the Big name Coaches and or all of the Good candidates go elsewhere, I sit and wonder how we the fans can see the problems but how does the ownership not see them?

Horton is un proven at best! He had a season and a half with a good D. That is it! that is all! He hasn’t proven a thing in the NFL not a thing! He has proven his EGO is 2x the size of Whiz’s in just a couple interviews I’ve heard! And no it is not confidence! It is 100% EGO! “He will be a Head Coach this year!!!” WOW it is a Right not a privilege to this guy!

J Gruden same thing not proven, he can call plays and help QB’s that is it! That is all! But he is Confident and humble to be asked to just interview. It wasnt a right but a privelage to him..

Ried was let slip, Mike McCoy Slip….They know the Cards are not committed to winning! Or at the very least haven’t showed it!!! (in 25 years)

And before you all say I’m a band wagon fan! Ill say this, If im a 25yr Band Wagoner having only 3 of those years see the playoffs, Then I’m the best Band wagoner their ever has been.
    This year I was so fed up with the Cards crap! I was rooting for the NFC West in the playoffs as I always do because it is our Division, But this time it was different I found my self getting in to the story lines and truly rooting! It was crazy, I was jumping up and down when Wilson was scrambling, it was a great feeling! I was screaming for Keapernick, Whom is the only player I have ever posted in here begging the Cards to draft!!!!

So I sit here Lost… HELP!!!!!

23. By wnycardfan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Stevedco took my post. I saw that article too where rumors are Keim is lowest paid GM at $750K, even to my ignorant ears that sounds VERY VERY LOW for a GM of an NFL team. What the heck? Is he worth that little? What does that tell a HC? Are they trying to get a Cadillac at a Yugo price when pitching to these HC candidates? Is that why they never get a 2nd interview and their guy runs to another team? I FEEL that part of the issue here is just how horrible this team has performed that last 2 years and how it was never (seemingly) addressed (OL, RB, QB). The other teams, even the lowly BROWNS look better than us at this point. AND, as someone else posted, our history speaks for itself. I don’t know if the Bidwill curse or the Bidwill philosophy (ie being cheap) is still in full swing, BUT the perception is beginning to raise its head again and that is what IF THEY REALLY ARE SERIOUS about being a real deal, they need to fight against and prove they are not the same old cardinals.
    If not, then I am sure there are some high school coaches that would love to make the lowest NFL HC salary along with some assistants too.

24. By bluepitt on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,
    BS!!!! I wanted Whiz gone when we lost the Super Bowl!!!!! Look it up! hahahahaha I was also being attacked in here with no back up on the Leinart deal posters were calling me an Idiot for “Loving Leinart” And I didnt I just thought he was the best option!
    But Im with you brother!

25. By kevin on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

did I see where some moron said we had no talent and no winning season and to say Bidwills should sale? No fan of our team. People have no clue what goes on behind closed doors. Not one of the ones come close to coach Whiz which the moron that said we had no talent said and I bet coach whiz needs to go. We have Horton our best shot did not want Reid and why would we? Do not need Gruden and thank GOD and pray to GOD we wont get Haley OMG look at all he did as coach for KC and his job at Pitts only time they missed the playoff since 2008.So Horton is our man.

26. By wnycardfan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

so NFL.com on the news McCoy is SD coach, gives the winners and losers of this decision. Guess which list we are on?
    Haley asking for the sky, forget him, don’t agree with paying him more than he’s worth.
    What about Lovie Smith (interview at least)?
    Billick?
    Arians?
    We are down to Horton and Haley?? Like Horton, not sure how he would do as a HC. So I’m skeptical, but not negative.
    Just seems we are going to settle for left overs and you keep having to ask yourself WHY?

27. By Fred on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I was hoping McCoy would come hear, but if you are not willing to rebuild this offence or you feel its to broken, than its just as well you don’t come hear. we have a lot of work to do on the O line and QB position that was neglected for years by the X GM & coach, we need someone that wants to prove himself as a good nfl coach who wants to rebuild this team. I think Horton is hungry for the opportunity, he my be just what this team needs

28. By Soares20 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

So anyone missing Whiz as much as I am right now?

29. By justin on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

The cards should wait and go after the 49ers OC and get Alex Smith with him

30. By D.Robles on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Coach Horton should do really well, but I wish the best for whoever gets the HC spot. Just PLEASE NO Brian Billick.

31. By MIKE G on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren– I did find it odd that some coaches like McCoy from Denver and Bradley from Seattle did interviews with teams the day before their playoff games. I’m sure there are some coaches out there that would only do an interview when their team is eliminated from the playoffs. After all a guy like Greg Roman is trying to win a Super Bowl and a job interview could be a distraction to his team. I’m hoping this is the case why he has not interviewed yet!! I believe he is a hot commodity and the best candidate for the job.!!I kind of look at it as– let these other teams fill their spots—and that will leave the door open for Roman in Arizona Do you think this could be true????

32. By D on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft guy:
    yes many variables but a few things regardless of the new coach we know is that Horton will be here, so we will keep the 3-4 def and we all know this team needs help at QB, OL and RB. Now, blocking schemes could change but the need still is the same. With Keim still in front office, probably still be Best Player available, but this year, that best player available will be same as need (will be sold to us)

If Whiz gets to Denver, then that probably is the best job of the entire offseason, good for him. Everyone is convinced Norv will be the OC in CLE because of his ties and the possibility of working with his son, but they have the same issues there as AZ does, lack of QB and OL issues. Now they do have a RB but no WR. So I see it as a wash as far as talent on both teams. If I am Horton and Keim, I would fly to where ever Norv, his son and Mike Tice are at in Mike’s plane and give them all offers they can’t refuse to come hear to work with Horton.

33. By cardfanbirth88 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

like i said before we are laughed at by everyone in the league funny how many people jumped on me cause i said that but it true everyone uses use so they can get what they want from another team no one wants to come hear no one does bidwill doesnt want pay doesnt want to look at the bigger picture larry great wr but real bulid around him when it already hard to find a qb everyone funny when they say keep larry trade him let him go to a team that can give up alot so we can rebuild ares i want keep larry but with jus 7 picks in the draft wear not going get what we need bottom line

34. By johnnybluenose on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

no andy reid. no mike mccoy. obviously, horton and gruden don’t have enough of whatever mr. bidwill wants. and haley would be a surprise considering that none of our guys will even comment about whether he has been interviewed. seems strange to me that lovie smith has been ignored. i have not heard jim caldwell as a potential candidate. why not? will he be considered once baltimore’s season is over if we don’t have a coach? and some people don’t think arizona is a place where a coach would want to come and some people, quite a few actually, refer to the bidwills as cheap. i cannot agree with either sentiment. there is a great stadium and training facility, a strong fan base and a team that can be fixed. this is a great opportunity. and mister bidwill paid big money for guys like fitz, kolb, dockett, campbell and washington and will willingly shell out more to keep peterson. and he paid whiz big money too. so, if ownership is cheap or cheaper than other owners, please explain this to me.

35. By MIKE G on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I also think if Roman is the guy in Arizona–Jacksonville will also be interested in him as well–because their GM – Dave Caldwell has a prior coaching relationship with him. We will see!

36. By canadian redbird on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

There is still opportunities to pursue OC coordinators from the 4 remaining teams in the playoffs plus Arians. Its easy to understand why McCoy chose San Diego over the Cards because of Rivers, so its time to move on. I like the OC’s especially from SF and NE even better than McCoy.

37. By D on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Can’t believe Jim Fassel’s name has not been mentioned here as OC, I thought he got along fine with ownership in the past…can’t be making that much coaching and being the GM of Las Vegas Locomotives….

38. By Kayelbe on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Haha. If we get Brian Billick, we can here him say how he will be an improvement over Ken Weeeeeeeeezenhunt.

39. By jocards on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Ray Horton actually wants the job so I suppose that sets him apart from the other candidates’ right there. Hey at least McCoy actually interviewed in the first place, Andy Reid decided he didn’t even want to talk to the Cardinals…..We seem to be making some progress. Oh boy…look perhaps it’ll all work out for the best. Maybe Ray Horton or Jay Gruden will be just what this organization needs…..I just wish Arizona was a more attractive landing spot for coaches and players alike.

40. By EDijkstra on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I disagree that there is no solution to our quarterback problems in the upcoming draft. How many people thought that Wilson (3rd round) and Kaepernick (2nd round) were franchise quarterbacks, as it appears that they may be? Or Tom Brady (6th round) and Drew Brees (3rd round), for that matter?

The Cardinals need talent evaluators who can see beyond the obvious. There is some evidence that they have them. I hope so.

41. By Bill L on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Keim report re salary is HORRIBLE!!!!! Now that is the Same OL’ Bidwill…….you PAY for what you get………and WANT in Bidwill’s case………WAIT!!!!! That’s the old Bidwill……….must have done that B4 his epiphany!!!! TRUST ME!!!! ……Buy a season ticket……..how about some concessions..,…..TRUST ME, THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT!!!!!….SEEN OUR NEW BILLBOARDS?……Now, have you heard the one………………

42. By azjam on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

It’s time to go with Horton as HC. He will do just fine. Keim needs to help him recruit a good OC and pay the OC the same type of salary that Grimm was getting.

43. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Other candidates

Not sure where this goes right now.

44. By Madriffs on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Horton is the backup plan according to some reports I have read. That has got to be a difficult pill to swallow for Horton knowing he was the third or possibly fourth option and may win the job by default. Way to do business Card’s.

45. By UK CARD on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Ouch! THE DUE DILIGENCE has bit us in the butt again!!

Its clear the Bidwills are HELL Bent on a OC as a HC! So unless Horton gets a HC offer elsewhere he stays this year, and gone next! Think Gruden is on his way here!

Think its a real shame! And we missed on Norv Turner as OC, by reports the browns may be getting him!

In my opinion we should of acted last week! Horton HC, Norv Turner OC, and Rob Ryan as DC! I know, am not found of the Ryan family either! but he was pushed out of the cowboys after 1yr, that went from 32nd D to about 20th, and has a lot of support from player he could bring with! As I think we may lose some vets on D this off season, he could fill some holes!

Plus with the NEW QB’s in 9ers, and Hawks, WE NEED to stay dominant on D!!!!!!!!

46. By conrad on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Mr M. Bidwell u need to stop stalling and hire Horton now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. By Bill L on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I’VE GOT IT!!!! Anyone try to give us the ball…..WE PUNT!!!! They Kick, WE PUNT…….They Punt, WE PUNT…….They fumble, WE PUNT……They throw an Interception, WE PUNT…………don’t need no OC HC……..don’t need no OC…..don’t need no O assistants……..don’t need no O-line……don’t need no QB!!! That’s why Keim gets 1/2 a salary………and Look at all the salary we’ll save on O and O coaches………Larry can just pose for BillBoards, no wasted time practicing……….Damn, if we could just get past that CAP MIN…….I wouldn’t put out a team at all…….if the common people would just keep buying those TICKETS!!!!

48. By cardfan6 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren I’m unsure if anyone has asked yet or not. But im curious to why they havent interviewed Lovie. He’s led his team to be very competitive every season just has had some unfortunate events fall his way.

49. By Tucson Card on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I wasn’t too excited about Mccoy in the first place. The Bronco offense last year wasn’t as amazing as people are remembering it to be. The defense did most of the work anyways.

I’ve liked Horton all along. There is something about him; like a football sixth sense, like he knows how to win or something.

50. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

EDijkstra’

I totally agree with you that there are QBs in this draft.

But one picky thing I have to point out, Brees went at the top of the second round.

51. By againstthe grain on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

i would love to see horton coach the cards. he has done a hell of a job with the d and his players play for him through thick and thin. give ray a chance to restore the cards to their playoff aspirations.

52. By Rufus on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Well, maybe the Cardinals can just re-hire Whiz since the other candidates have gone elsewhere.

53. By Cardfan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Yep CARDSALLTHEWAY you’re a genius had it right the whole time. Leinart was certainly a mistake to let go and he showed us by taking a third string spot in oakland after being cut by the texans. He’s so good he can win games from the bench, after of course he blows opportunity after opportunity.
    Oh well wait by the phone I’m sure the NFL will be calling your cubical soon.

54. By Guy M on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals can’t find enough ways to disappoint their fans. They are unable to draw any talent to this organization to excite their fans. Hopefully, the Cards think long and hard about offering Horton the head coaching spot. I can’t see fans getting pumped up for next season with Horton as head coach, especially with our QB dilemma. Unless the Cardinals change their QB situation they are not giving any head coach the proper tools to do their job!

55. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

cardfan6 –

RE: Lovie

Not sure if Cards would go for a defensive coach that would want to overhaul defense. Lovie a Cover 2 guy, a lot different than current 3-4 system.

56. By Cardinals future owner 17 PHX on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

What makes you think the Cards will put up the money to better the team when they cant even pay up what a GM should make on average?

57. By Billy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

JUST SELL THE TEAM BIDWILL… DO US A FAVOR

58. By TUCARDS on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

It seems to me that a defensive minded coach is what we need. A DC would know better which Offensive schemes are harder to defend and build off of that. I vote RAY Horton for HC.

59. By TUCARDS on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

HIGHEST PAID COACHES 2012…..Bidwell is cheap?????COME ON> RESEARCH IS EASY. YA’LL HATERS SHOULD TRY…

Bill Belichick

Career Record: 55-25 (.688), Titles: 1

Andy Reid

Current Team: Philadelphia Eagles
    Annual Salary: $5.5 million
    Career Record: 126-81 (.609), Titles: 0

60. By Dennis on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I ask every Season Ticket holder to ban with me and not pay the intial down payment until the Cards have hired a good HC and made their draft day selections. Let’s see what direction they are really headed in for the next few years.

61. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

not FEELING the gruden talk they seem intrested just b.c of last name dude hasn’t done CRAP IN THE NFL JUST GOT A GTS IN THE PLAYOFFS IN FIRST WEEK.. WHIZ IS BETTER THAN GRUDEN…JUST SAYIN

62. By Bill L on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

When coaches won’t work for you………when all you can get in coaches and the front office are Peter Principle people grabbing for what little money is parted with………when you have allowed your team to decline to the lowest levels of the L……..How long can it be before the ticket buyers wake up to the facts and are tired of being played for suckers to pad Bidwill’s pockets. AZ could be a great franchise, but it now appears even more certain, that it never will be under current ownership. No Mgmt, No Coaches……NEXT, No supporters willing to buy second rate goods……..then the franchise will move or be sold…….I say 2 more years and it’s L.A. or a new owner.

63. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Chicken little the sky is falling!!!

Okay, maybe not but to read the majority of the comments posted here… Hopefully no one took the mayan calendar this seriously. I too, am disappointed that McCoy sought employment elsewhere but it’s not the end of the world. He was worth waiting for but now it’s time to move on. Jay Gruden is still a very viable candidate. Look at what he inherited in his start as an OC, a 4-12 team whose two “star” offensive players (including their QB) weren’t returning. All he did was turn that around with a rookie QB who wasn’t expected to be ready for a couple of years into an instant playoff team. Granted, he had help from Mike Zimmer and the defense but franchises don’t get any worse, from a management standpoint than Cincinnati so he shouldn’t be so easily dismissed. Ray Horton basically did the same thing with a defense that was a complete debacle under Billy Davis. I’d be curious to know what he’d do differently on offense but as his side of the locker room carried them over the past two years he must have a pretty good insight of where to start. My biggest concern with him is how he’ll adjust his defense to the read option, as of now it’s tearing the 3-4 in half.

So we lost out on Norv Turner, big deal. A guy who inherited a 14-2 team and continually walked them further down the win column, and accomplished nothing in Oakland and Washington. Andy Reid? Impressive resume, but he had a QB and finished 4-12. Long time Cardinal fans know things aren’t the same, if they were we wouldn’t be talking about a replacing a coach who experienced a significant amount of success – in fact, until Whisenhunt was hired there really wasn’t any kind of success, at least here in the Valley. Mike Bidwill has proven, many times over, that he isn’t his old man. He’ll pick the right man for job, give him the benefit of the doubt, he’s earned it so far.

64. By Chuck 1 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

TU CARDS,

The discussion was about the salary of the GM, Keim,
    If you like research so much, give us some comparative numbers.

65. By dynasty1717 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Why can’t Bidwill pull a George Steinbrenner/Billy Martin and just re-hire Whiz?

66. By Rich on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

gotta admit, McCoy was my first choice and I thought the Cards would get him.

67. By Scott H on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren – you hearing ANYTHING about the Cards having interest in the DC from Seattle ( Bradley ) or either the DC or OC from San Fran ( Fangio or Roman )??? Obviously the 49ers are still playing and those guys may not be avaliable unti their season ends. Got that. Is this a possibility? I’d feel a little better knowing that MIGHT be the plan and the reason for the lull in activity right now.

If we’re gonna go with a coordinator from somewhere, why not take one from a division opponent? Sure seems to offer more benefit than taking one from the Bengals or Steelers, especially since I would consider the afore-mentioned individuals more accomplished than either Gruden or Haley.

And, BTW, Bradley is reportedly at the home of Jeffrey Lurie – owner of the Eagles – interviewing as we speak for their HC job. So, he may not even be available anyway by the end of the day.

I HAVE to believe that they may have their eye on someone who just is not available to interview right now. Because, otherwise….what the hell are they doing?????

68. By Hammy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I can understand why some people and the Cardinals dont have Horton as their first choice. No dis credit to him but we had the worse offense in the history of the league. I do believe that Horton is the best guy to run this team from a motivational standpoint. I know he is going to put the best players out there on gamedays. Most likely he is gonna bring some members of the Steelers coaching staff to our team. I just hope he can find a good offensive coordinator. But I still feel good about Bidwell and his decision making for this team. I believe that he will find the right guy to coach this team and that guy should be Ray Horton. Very optimistic that we will compete next season and have a very successful draft with Keim as GM. #BIRDGANGBABY

69. By georgiebird on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

There is no doubt in my mind that our defense is being totally overrated. And this football season, i will be all over the failure of the defense to perform. The teams in our division did well against our defense and there were many games with defensive breakdowns.
    Granted, we need a QB and that will require luck- but hopefully it will be given high priority. A smart QB will cut the sacks in half by knowing how to get rid of the ball.
    Secondly, the defense has to be made the best in the NFC West. We need another corner and a NT. We also need more physical LBs. And the defense will still need two or three more players to be top-flite.
    By just working on the offense, we will end up with an average offense and an average defense- that won’t get it in the NFC West.

70. By Dan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

WE WANT HORTON!!!!

71. By Andy Kw on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

We are missing out on so many great coaches. Mike McCoy was pretty good, Andy Reid was ugh an okay coach. Luckily Jay Gruden and Ray Horton are still available to get. I would love to see Ray Horton be the head coach and draft the right players. Like it or not, Matt Barkley or Geno Smith will be available for us to draft so we have to make use of our #1 pick. Jay Gruden would be a nice head coach but lets stick with Ray Horton because he is talented and special at what he does. Look at his first year with Arizona, his defense changed from below par to finally pretty good. Ray Horton is our man. Can you pick a head coach already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have missed out on too many and I am sick and tired of missing opportunities. Ray Horton, go up their and just address to the world that you are head coach. Talk to Cam Cameron fast before he goes. Get Pat Shurmur to be our QB coach since he will not be the Panther’s Offensive Coordinator anyways. Get the Offensive Line Coach from Alabama since he coached so many of the possible 2013 #1 Draft picks such as Warmack, Fluker, and Jones. For the replacement of Deshea Townsend, just pick any defensive coach in free agency. For Wide Receivers coach, get back John McNulty because he did so well when he arrived here since 2009. Defensive Coordinator, we should get Keith Butler from Pittsburgh now. We should be allowed to interview him and get him.

72. By tyman on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Us Cards fans didn’t want McCoy anyways!!!

We want Horton
    and maybe Payton Manning

73. By louis on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

to all the fans you might as well give up and sell your season tickets and look for a new team in the future.

74. By Safety Guy on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Guess Cam Cameron wont be coming in for interview! Just reported he was in a car crash and broke both his legs

75. By chad on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Q: Is the coaches salaries counted against the salary cap?

76. By CardsFanday1 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Tim Tebow practicing here in AZ. Any news on that?

77. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Chad –

RE: Coaches salaries

It is not counted against the cap.

78. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

CardsFanday1 –

RE: Tebow

Sorry. I don’t cover Tebow.

79. By Dynosoar on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

dynasty1717 has a point,

we sent Whizenhunt a message, hire him back for less and give him bonase-able incentives. Tell him he’s got one year to fix the offense (he’s an OC, he should be able to do this.)

When my children do something wrong, we send them to a safe place (their room) and tell them to come out when theiy’r ready to correct the mistake.

If not, I’m good with Ray Horton as our HC. I believe he has the personality and skills to get out of our entire team what he got out of the defense.

80. By Dynosoar on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

glad to hear you keep your sanity and don’t cover Tebow. About Cam Cameron, ouch. Breaking both your legs would be aweful and that had to be one heck of an accident to do so.

81. By bluepitt on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

WOW! Because Horton made A poor D average to good, that means he will turn around the O and become some head coaching legind? That can turn around a franchise that manny great coaches have failed to do.
    Facts! Horton has alwayse been on the D side of football! He knows how to Play D (cornerback in the NFL) He knows how to coach a D (Se his coaching resume)
    So how does that make him qualified to:
    1.) Fix a broken O
    2.) Run every Football aspect of the team
    3.) Under stand how the O side works
    4.) BE A HEAD COACH!!!!!
    I have heard all of Hortons stories and every one has him being praised for being so good or the hero for giving a poor man a used car, or how this or that was just how it was suposed to be acording to him, Brady was who he thought he was. Well to bad Keparnick, Smith and Wilson were not as good as Brady or we would have won more games…….I dont see him being a HC with his current expierance, Well I can see the Cards making him one way before he is ready!
    Ok ill get off my soap box now… BUT CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME THE REASON HE IS SO QUAILFIED TO BE THE HEAD COACH??
    And no the reason is not taking a Poor D to average or good, he has been on the D side of the ball his entire NFL existance and was behind one of the Greatest D Coaches of all time! So he better know that side of the ball! but what am I missing? Why is he so good for a HC job on a team that has one of the worst O’s in the NFL!!!!

82. By Blake Martin on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren I have heard rumors of Darrell Bevell becoming a canidate for the head coaching job. Is that true?

83. By turningareddenedcheek on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Now I understand doing your best efforts to make sure we get the correct candidate and according to michael bidwell he just wants a football guy… so why then is the ratio of interviewed coaches 4-1 offense to defense and the one defensive coach was internal and realistically I think the most qualifed because of his time under mike tomlin… plus the guy played with great cowboys teams and understands the culture of winning which is what our defense showed this season …. so why not then allow that man to run this team and truly bring a culture of winning to the arizona southwest… this state is the second poorest in the nation our education system is garbage, 1 in 3 children dont know where their next meal is coming from and every sports team in the state is crap because no one wants to play here… keim is a college draft guy who obviously has done some great talent evaluation these last few years… now its time to bring a coach in with a chip on his shoulder who gets the best out of players and we need to dump veterans who more distraction than production… dockett sad to say needs to go, wilson should be allowed to retire a cardinal but we need to figure out better ways to use him on the field, beanie should put his house up on the market and get ready to be gone call it what it is the guys a bust, kolb is mr glass and needs to spend the off season working on a farm carrying hay bails for extra weight bearing exercise and drinking milk straight out of the cows utter cause if he doesnt get stronger and more physical he wont be a cardinal much longer… overall its obvious we will be the worst in the nfc west next year based on how trends are currently headed and the bidwells are showing signs that the success they had those first few years after the construction of uofp stadium werent enough so lets call it what it is and dump vets get draft picks and go ill belichek on this up coming draft 12-15 picks minimum and lets real tool this team with young enthusiastic talent and a fresh coach who wants to win to prove doubters wrong

84. By Louisville Card on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree with the posters calling for Roman to get a shot. He relies on the running game and develops qb’s. he would be a perfect fit and would hurt San Fran by him leaving seems like a win win…

85. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Blake –

RE: Bevell

There is now a report Bevell is supposed to be interviewed. But team hasn’t said that.

86. By Louisville Card on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I just read a report the Cards are interviewing Bevell from the Seahawks? Is there any truth to that Darren? He would be an upgrade over the possible candidate’s interviewed so far…

87. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

TUCARDS and Mike Ellingboe

AMEN! Everyone breath slowly. Bidwill IS doing a good job. He is spending both for players and coaches. Relax. Just because we all want to start talking about what the Cards should do next is no reason to feel panic to rush the task that is right now. I know it has been a few hours since the last scrap of rumor has come across the twittersphere is no reason to loose perspectives.

88. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Well, since time isn’t an issue as Michael Bidwill stated — and he’s been true to his word — he mind as well hold out for San Francisco’s offensive coordinator Greg Roman, throw a boatload of money at him to keep him from heading to Jacksonville, and install the read-option offense in 2013.

89. By Gilbert on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

i think we all need to take it easy thers too many rumors and speculations and some people making unreasonable comment bout the Cards org. none of us know the salaries of Keim n company n no one can accuse the Cards on being cheap they r willing to eat Whiz n company salaries, look at the contracts and extensions to many of roster players. i say give them a break its always better to think things thru, if one candidate does not work the world doesnt. have more faith than that in M Bidwill if he didnt care he would have kept whiz n company

90. By Blake Martin on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know about you guys but I want Darrel Bevell. He is an offensive minded coach that had great success in Seattle. Plus he knows all about Seattle and what they run.

91. By ken wollenberg on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Pardon my football ignorance , but, would a DC as HC have an advantage in coaching offense if he was fine tuned to what a defense should do to stop the other side of the ball? I guess saying… if you know what to expect, wouldn’t that give a DC a little bit of an advantage. Or am I just in the weeds.

I would think if you know schemes that are going to be thrown at you on defense, you can coach, have appropriate coaches feed on that to make your offense better.

Given ,need more from QB on accuracy and a little more knowledge on O line. Had some rookies in some situations without proper training due to need.

I understand an OC may have skills as HC for a deficient offensive line, but would it be imperative to have OC as HC if you have a good DC as HC with a good OC under him ? Seems like a win win.

Thoughts

92. By Eazy E on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Ray Horton should have been the hire in the first damn place. Besides maybe Andy, he’s the best guy we’ve interviewed. Even a Jim Caldwell I would like especially since he’s taking over for Cam Cameron. Seems very fishy why Horton hasn’t been named the head coach after their prom queens have ditched them.

93. By Darren Urban on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Ken –

RE: HC

In the end, the staff all brings a lot to the table. The right head coach will take care of that regardless of his background.

94. By Andy Kw on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

This team needs to build around a young Quarterback. I had faith in Kevin Kolb but I think this teams needs to really build this organization from the bottom up so Kolb could maybe mentor Matt Barkley into becoming an Elite Caliber QB. Since NFL Analysts are also saying Matt Barkley, this team really needs this upcoming 2013 draft:
    Round:
    1.) QB Matt Barkley
    2.) LB Kevin Minter
    3.) OT Ricky Wagner
    4.) WR Rodney Smith
    5.) CB Melvin White
    6.) OG Theo Goins
    7.) RB Rex Burkhead
    (Extra pick from Minnesota) 7.) FS Kejuan Riley
    You guys are probably annoyed by me always doing this but this should be the final roster and cuts:
    QB: Matt Barkley*, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton
    FB: Anthony Sherman
    RB: Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Rex Burkhead*
    WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts, Rodney Smith*, LaRon Byrd
    TE: Rob Housler, Jeff King, Jim Dray
    OL: Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, Adam Snyder, Levi Brown, Ricky Wagner*, Bobby Massie, Nate Potter, Senio Kelemete, Theo Goins*
    DL: Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams, Nick Eason, David Carter, Brian Price
    LB: Daryl Washington, Sam Acho, O’Brien Schofield, Kevin Minter*, Quentin Groves, Rey Maualuga, Reggie Walker, Colin Parker*
    CB: Patrick Peterson, William Gay, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Jamell Fleming, Melvin White
    S: Kerry Rhodes, Adrian Wilson, Rashad Johnson, Justin Bethel, Kejuan Riley
    ST: Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, Mike Leach

Releases: QB John Skelton, QB Ryan Lindley, QB Brian Hoyer, RB Alfonso Smith, RB William Powell, WR Early Doucet, WR Kerry Taylor, TE Kory Sperry, OT D’Anthony Batiste, G Mike Gibson, G Pat McQuistan, G Rich Ohrnberger, C Scott Wedige, DE Vonnie Holliday, DE Ronald Talley, LB Stewart Bradley, LB Paris Lenon, LB Zach Nash, CB Michael Adams, CB Greg Toler, S James Sanders.

Sign: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, QB Drew Stanton, LB Rey Maualuga, DT Brian Price, (R) LB Colin Parker

95. By jocards on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I’ll admit that I was interested in Andy Reid and thought it was a very bad sign that he decided he didn’t even want to talk to the Cardinals after interviewing with KC…..I know a lot of folks here didn’t want him though. I just do not believe that Arizona is the most attractive job for prospective coaches and that makes things even tougher. I ran across this rather sobering statistic today….Andy Reid has coached in 19 postseason games in his 14 year career. The Cardinals as a franchise have played only 13 post season games in their history…..They were a charter member of the NFL when it was formed in 1920 and have been owned by the Bidwill family since 1933. Wow…Let’s hope things begin to turn around starting in 2013.

96. By Cactus jeff on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw
    There is no way the cardinals make splash in free agency. They will lose talent in free agency, that is what they do. Your just being silly. More likely they lose Darnell Dockett to the Patriots for a second and fourth round pick. Another pro bowl talent gone.

97. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“the Cardinals, it seemed, wanted to get a second chance…”

Hey, Cardinals….newsflash….when you let people walk out the door without a deal in hand, THERE ARE NO FRIGGIN’ GUARANTEES THAT YOU ARE GONNA GET A SECOND CHANCE!!! My God, man, this organization needs to get a clue and start living on this planet! The process of looking for a head coach in the NFL is NOT one where you can go at a leisurely pace and take all the time you want. NOT when there are many other teams also looking for a HC and the prospective candidates are looking to land somewhere and secure their futures as soon as possible. There really doesn’t seem to be anything complicated about any of that. Does there???

And if I sound frustrated, it’s not because McCoy was THE guy that I thought we needed. It’s because if the CARDINALS felt like McCoy was THE guy they needed, then THEY should have locked it up and got it done when they had the chance. Because – surprise, suprise – he is now somewhere else.

Anyone surprised that while most teams have now found their head coaches and have started the process of moving forward, that the Cardinals have not?