Chip trip narrows openings to Cards, Jags

Posted by Darren Urban on January 16, 2013 – 11:46 am

The shocking news Wednesday that Oregon coach Chip Kelly — who had long been thought of as the Eagles’ top choice for head coach but who seemingly made it clear he wasn’t leaving Oregon last week — was indeed going to be Philly’s new coach means there are two open head coaching spots left. Jacksonville and Arizona. (The Bears officially hired one-time Cardinals offensive coordinator Marc Trestman earlier in the morning.)

Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell is interviewing with the Cards today. The Cards are reportedly trying to get permission/set up an interview with Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The other known candidates are Ray Horton, Todd Haley and Jay Gruden, and that doesn’t preclude that there might have been unknown candidates at some point.

The Jaguars’ known list is Jay Gruden, Bevell, in-house defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, Seahawks DC Gus Bradley and Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer. They are also expected to wait for and talk to 49ers OC Greg Roman — untouchable until San Francisco’s season is over — who is close with new general manager Dave Caldwell.

In the meantime, we wait.

– Ken Whisenhunt missed out again. Just when it looked like he again was making a push to be a head coach — this time with the Eagles — the Kelly bombshell dropped. Whiz was apparently in the mix in Buffalo, Cleveland and Philly (he also talked with the Chargers) but instead, it seems likely that if he coaches this year, it will be as an assistant. The idea that he could end up in Denver as offensive coordinator with Peyton Manning seems to be gaining steam. He’s not going to be on Jacksonville’s HC list.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

102 Responses to “Chip trip narrows openings to Cards, Jags”

1. By Andy Kw on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know it is very unlikely, but can the Cardinals organization hire back Ken Whisenhunt as an offensive assistant?

2. By JAKE on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

So do we have Bevell held hostage, I mean is he currently interviewing? DONT LET HIM LEAVE!

3. By AZcardsfan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I hope we don’t get Todd Haley. We need new blood and new faces.

4. By mrpeary3189 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

At this point I’d be happy if Bidwill and Keim threw darts at pictures of the candidates and choose a coach that way.

5. By tom on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

i never knew why weidnt interview arians. he would be my fav at this point

6. By OnlyGACardsfan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

You know its frustrating at times that they wait and keep adding choices to the potential candidates. I wonder if Horton is getting frustrated as well? He has done an outstanding job with the defense, why not let his performance speak for it self and hire him. I understand waiting and checking every avenue for the best fit, but i would hate to see the Horton bridge get burned down.

7. By Andy Kw on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Hire Bruce Arians as Head Coach, retain Ray Horton as Defensive Coordinator, hire Cam Cameron as Offensive Coordinator, Hire Pat Shurmur as QB Coach, Hire Alabama Offensive Line Coach Jeff Stoutland as OL coach, Hire Gregg Knapp as WR Coach. Hire the Running Backs coach Rick Bisacca of South Carolina as our RB coach. For offensive quality control, anyone would do. For the Assistant Defensive Backs coach, we should hire the recently fired DB coach of the Denver Broncos Ron Milus. This is the dream coaching staff. If we can find some way to bring back Ken Whisenhunt as an assistant, I wouldn’t mind either.

8. By Mark From Chandler on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

This could actually slow down the search. The Cards are now in no rush. There are more promising possible HC now than openings so the Crads can wait until 49ers are done to interview Roman if they want and not feel like they may miss another HC candidate. (can’t see anyone prefering Jags over Cards).

9. By dumbfounded on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Why wouldn’t Whiz be on Jacksonville’s list?

10. By Steven on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I have been tryingto get the Cards to bring in some one like chip kelly. This make me feel as if the Organization does not want to win. It”s all about money again. Quit being the laughing stock of the NFL. One time to the dance is 35 years is a joke. If you not in it to be a winner and make AZ a name in the NFL then please sell the team to someone who want tomake it a winning organization.

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Fumblin’, Bumblin’ Stumblin’…

I guess then that it’s between the Cards and Jags for Greg Roman. Would be a splendid move if the Cards can pull it off, but a huge flop if they strike-out.

12. By In fitz we trust on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Very shocking, Phillys move will have a ripple effect for sure. Bruce Arians!!!! That would be great. With there only being two positions available, although some what unatractive, the cards should be the next team to get the best candidate available versus the jags.

13. By jhenson on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Bevell is mormon, nothing wrong with mormonism but jeez he couldn’t relate with half our roster. GO with Arians he is well qualified. (Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisberger)

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Whiz

Can they? I suppose. Would that ever happen with any team ever? No.

15. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Maybe Peyton Manning could teach Whiz how to run an offense and perhaps even call plays.

Peyton will make Whiz look good for a couple of years, then Whiz will be a HC coach again on a team struggling and with no QB. Whiz has to be one of the most unimaginative, vanilla, plain-jane offensive minds out there. Don’t know why anyone would touch him without an established QB.

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

dumb —

RE: Whiz/Jax

If he isn’t on it already, don’t see it happening now.

17. By wnycardfan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Awesome, so one of the first teams to fire the coach is one of the last teams to hire. Jag’s last team to fire, along with us. I’m in no rush (as some have stated “what’s the rush, due the diligence”). BUT, what I see/feel is how we are losing GROUND on the best potential hire out there. We’ve had at least 2 walk away from us. Oh by the way, those 2 (and others) are getting praise by the press (making good choice, will help their new team etc) as well as the stars. Granted, the stars of the team aren’t going to say bad things, but none the less, it stings. Now where are we at? I like Horton, but he’s a DC for 2 years, thats it. I’m not totally sold on him handling offense and HC job. By the way, he interviewed with 3 teams, no one has hired him yet. SO who the heck are we trying to get? It just smacks of same ole cards and same old “going no where”. I truly hope that who ever finally says yes (man I hope its not some bottom of the barrel loser) kicks butt and turns the team around. BUT, right now it just feels like we are screwed. NFC West is a strong division now, and we are in the bottom. We need someone who will kick ass, not fumble around etc.
    By the way for all of you saying we should have kept Whiz, I still say hell no to that. And he has been interviewed a few times and NOT been hired. That’s all I need to know.

18. By brian w. on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

my votes for Horton we need defensive identity but id draft Matt Barkley we need a QB badly

19. By Fred on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Why would anyone want Whiz back on our offense? We’ve seen his offensive performance. I’m not surprised nobody has hired him for a HC job. His stubbornness, loyalty over result and the seeming vindictiveness he showed in the last third of the season (that seemed to cost him the support of some players), is not usually on the “plus” list for prospective employers.

20. By Fred on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m not concerned about the wait. I just hope we don’t get Haley back here. I have noticed that nobody is the least bit interested in him, and the only people that want him in AZ seems to be the Pittsburgh fans, who point out that they went from a perennial Playoff team to a so-so team in only one year of him running their previously productive offense.

21. By CWatkins on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Who is going to trip over themselves to coach the Cardinals? 2 winning seasons in the last 28 here in Phoenix. At least the Eagles have heritage of winning in landing Kelly. I liked Whiz, it was the ownership that needs to go. As long as there is revenue sharing they won’t change

22. By MIKE G on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good. I like the fact they are looking at Bevell and Arians. Arians is interesting in that he has a Steeler background and did a nice job with the Colts this year. He seems to like to run the ball as well. He knows Horton and worked with him in Pitt which could create nice chemistry if bought in. Kind of similar to when Whiz was hired in 2007 from Pitt. At this point hope it is Greg Roman then Arians,Horton.!!!
    Also–Hope Whiz gets OC in Denver! Darren–Did you think Kelly was going to coach an NFL team in 2013?? Especially after committing back to Oregon–Crazy??? Eagles must of given him the keys to the store!!!

23. By Mike in Mesa on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

What negativity. All you fans need to cool your jets. I would rather the Cards make the correct hire than the quick one. Saying ‘same old cards’ is about as unimaginative as it gets. It seems we are in a selfish, me first society the way some of you sound. And if the Cards make a mistake with a too quick decision, you’ll be the first ones screaming same old cards.

24. By Clifton Watkins on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Mike

Heritage and tradition, thats what puts a community, potential players and coaches behind an organization. Two winning seasons out of the last 25 does not, medicrity for the last 70 years, does not. We are last at getting a coach because this is the last place top candidates want to coach at. Plus ownership has never gotten it through its head its the quarterback that leads, but he needs to be protected. Payton Manning would be paralyzed by now if we would have landed him

25. By clssylssy on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Interesting quote from one of the most widely respected sports journalist in the industry, Mike Florio from NBC (reputable news congronmorate) ” the Cardinals’ vacancy is regarded as one of the worst available, given the absence of a great quarterback and the presence of increasingly stiff competition in the division.
    Moreover, the Cardinals aren’t exactly known for supporting their coaches. Ken Whisenhunt tied Jim Hanifan for the longest tenure in franchise history with six seasons. And then Whisenhunt, who took the Cardinals farther than they had gone since Harry Truman was president, was fired the next day.” PLUS , the pay sucks! The Cards will never be in a league with the “big dogs” until we start conducting business at the “big dog” level.
    I’m still thinking about how our Cards were able to beat The Brady Bunch Patriots in Foxboro, and how things got so out of hand so soon putting us in the mess we are in now! And, I think it’s shameful the way this organization has subjected Ray Horton to the humiliation he must feel as this circus of a search continues with each day an announcement that …….(fill in the blanks) is about to be named the Cardinal HC. I don’t see this organization going anywhere until some of the internal issues are resolved starting with the front office.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

clssy —

RE: PFT

I like Mike Florio and I think he’s pretty good, but he was a lawyer up until about a year ago. “One of the most widely respected sports journalists in the industry”? Um, not sure about that.

27. By Fred on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

If Horton is taking this process badly, then he’s not the guy for the job. He’s only been a Coordinator for 2 years, albeit a very good one, and he’s still under contract unless he gets a HC job. And it ought to tell us something that he hasn’t been at the top of anyone else’s list either. He has been around, so I’m sure he knows how all this works.

28. By tyman on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Arians would be the best fit for us!!!

29. By Brett n Co. on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Why?!? Barkley no way over rated!

30. By Dynosoar on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Mike in Mesa,

I like your aproach to all this.

31. By blaxabbath on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

Thank you for pointing out Florio’s position in the industry — tired of every big conglomerate selling me various “experts” (but such is the reality in the heavily-marketed NFL) — though there is some validity in the statement.

A question on the process: when interviewing coordinators with no HC experience, how do teams rate the candidate’s coaching staff? That is to say, Horton must present his choices for Offensive Coordinator, for example. He doesn’t have a previous assembled staff and a general expectation would be for him to want someone currently under either Whiz (assume he gets picked up) or Tomlin. How does expectations and reality balance during these HC meetings? Are agents involved behind the scenes nodding to, “Yeah, if Horton took over AZ, my guy would leave Pittsburgh to be his OC”?

Just seems like a lot of moving parts.

32. By Dynosoar on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

And now for something completely different…

To all, just like Bidwill is with an i and not an e, (it took writing it a few times, but I got it. Thanks Darren for making me aware and sorry Michael for mis-spelling your name.)

Cardinals is with an s not without. I don’t wish to start the same brouhaha we had a few weeks ago, but we are the Arizona Cardinals, not the Arizona Cardinal. That means it’s the Cardinals organization (no apstraphe), not the Cardinal organization (this latter is an organization in the Vatican.)

Thanks, now back to the fun of the coaching carrousel.

33. By EDijkstra on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I dispute what someone said about Coryell and the Cards. From all appearances, Coryell wanted to go the Chargers after two years coaching the Cards, and made it happen. He said things that made it virtually impossible for the Cards to retain him, one of which was that no one on the Cards’ defense was good enough to start on any other team.

The Cards hired him out of San Diego State. Coryell had written a letter to Bill B., arguing for getting the job. He did not show much loyalty to Mr. B., I would say, but who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

I never really liked Coryell, especially after he left in the way he did, but he was an offensive genius, and the Cards were great fun then.

34. By Madriffs on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Whoever is chosen for this coaching position, I hope they will not overlook the fact that this team needs an O-line. The QB debacle was IMO mostly Whiz. I think releasing Whiz had to be done because he was making desperate decisions that ultimately hurt the team. So, bringing him back would be a bad idea, period.

35. By georgiebird on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

None of the guys hired so far seem to be THE guy. Chip Kelly seems to have the biggest upside coming from college- it might have been nice to get him.
    While it seems the Cards are not doing much right-it’s a big plus for Bidwill, at this point, that no one has broken the door down to get any of the guys he fired. Whiz will probably be an OC, and Graves name has not come up (although I feel Graves will be back in another capacity (e.g. PR)
    And no one should worry about compatibility with Horton- Horton will be gone after next year-and I for one will be happy to get rid of him and hopefully, the 3-4 that requires LBs the Cardinals have never had.

36. By wnycardfan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren, nice response to clssy………….was laughing.
    STILL, I’m troubled by our lack of attraction to potential hires (so it seems). There is some validity to out of the 7 – 8 teams that needed to fill we are the least attractive. Whatever the reason (owner, money, QB, losing streak/history, etc), there is something about that perception. I mean they (press, others, etc) are talking about it. It does feel like the same ole cards………..you know, the ones for the last 50 years or so with only a handful of winning seasons…………….and no well known coach in their history

37. By Sackman on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

What do you think about Haley setting a high price to be the Cardinals Head Coach?
    What a joke! I’ll tell you what I think. I think he is a fool! Who does he think he is? It’s like we are doing him a favor to hire him as our Head Coach. He says it would cost us alot for him to leave Pittsburg. He did a lousy job this year and after this next season he won’t even have a job. Who does he think he is? Arizona doesn’t want Haley.

38. By Safety Guy on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

so goes your quarterback, so goes your team.” What the heck does that mean??????

39. By sarah on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

This is the guy I said the Cards should hire and Chicago did ! Trestman was the hidden gem out there with head coaching experience and a great offensive mind. Another guy would be John Hufnagel who is the Calgary Stampeders coach and former OC of the NY Giants. He too is great with quarterbacks but Trestman was the best. Chicago got a proven winner .

40. By D.Robles on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Did Bruce Arians & Ray Horton work in Pittsburgh at the same time?

41. By Dennis on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Let’s be honest here. Whiz is not going to get a HC job. No one that gets fired from the Cards winds up being a HC the next year.
    The Cards will be the last team to hire a HC. Taking whatever scraps are leftover.

42. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Bevell says, “so goes the QB, so goes the team.”

I like him already.

43. By Matt Whetstine on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Since the Bears hired a CFL guy, why don’t the Cardinals interview and hire Danny White. Right now, I think the only people we should consider hiring is White, Horton, and Arians. They’d only do the Seahawks a favor by hiring Bevell and I’m a rare fan of both teams.

44. By desertspin on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren –
    Aside from the fact that I am fully in favor of Ray Horton being promoted to head coach, I’m growing concerned that with no one named yet, who will be attending the East West Shrine game this weekend? Next week will be practice week for the Senior Bowl, with the game following next weekend. These all star games are important for our head coach to be attending & I’m concerned that these delays will adversely affect our draft decisions. I hope Ray Horton will at least be there.

45. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Blax —

RE: Assistants

In all honesty, there is a certain leap of faith there by teams. Some guys might be free agents. But until a HC is hired, until the team starts talking money with the assistant, no way to know for sure how it will come together. There are promises made, sure, but who knows to whom, and when?

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

D. Robles —

RE: Arians/Horton

Yes, they worked together in Pittsburgh.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

desert —

RE: Shrine/Senior Bowl

A head coach/offensive coaches might not be there, but the Cardinals’ scouting staff will be there. I would guess there will be some assistants too.

48. By iammattyoung on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Boy, Arians would be an amazing guy to have in there. The guy is a winner. He was OC for the Browns (the BROWNS!) during one of their most productive stretches, he was QB coach for Indy during Peyton Manning’s first two years, he was OC for the Steelers during an incredible stretch (and their offense went down the drain when he left), and then he coached the Colts to the playoffs!

Not only all of that, but it’ll be hard for Horton to have hard feelings being DC under a guy who has seven years of experience as an OC, is the elder statesman, and with whom he shared incredible success in Pittsburgh.

49. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

R U waiting for the next coach to be hired before taping the next Card’s Underground? I mean, the season and holidays have been over for weeks now.
    ;)

50. By dstock21CardinalsWINRLOSE on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Any true high caliber motivated Head Coach would WANT TO take over an organization such as the Arizona Cardinals or Jacksonville and the why should be obvious!!!!!!! We need change, a turn around, measurable progress……..This is what anyone the has half an intelligence would want to put on their resume. What they did for an organization, not what the organization did for them! This is the job opening of a lifetime for a first time Head Coach in this league!
    Why go to a team that has a winning record (Chicago) or a quarterback? Be the development and guidance needed to turn a team around (Harbaugh SF) point made!

51. By Blake Martin on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m not too picky about the next head coach but honestly I think we should wait for Greg Roman. Very good offensive coach and was able to work with quarterbacks that weren’t really that great. After Roman I’d either take Bevell or Arians either one I don’t care. The one coach I’m against getting the coaching position is Ray Horton only because I think we need a more offensively minded coach to fix are terrible offense.

Go Cards!

52. By Giorgio on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Don’t sell Michael Bidwell short, he’s a lawyer. I’m at a law firm as a business non-lawyer business guy, and you learn early and often to let everyone else in the room show their cards Cards fans before you start blinking. You see what all the other parties/teams are offering, what the contracts may be, who wants what w/what authority, who’s bluffing and who’s not, etc. If Arians has the credentials, and he cmost ertainly does, and really wants to be here (and the Cards you really want him) lock him up as our new HC tomorrow. And hey he could be named NFL Coach of the Year football fans for the fine upstanding job he did as interim coach of the Colts getting them to 9-3 while Coach Chuck Pagano was receovering from leukemia. That’s amazing in itself guys!!

53. By azjam on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I was very impressed with the Darrell Bevell press conference. He has a lot to offer. He was a qb for Wisconsin when they won their first Rose Bowl and has been heavily involved with working with NFL qbs (like Brett Farve) prior to becoming an OC. He is only 43 years and I feel with work well with DC Horton. I would be very happy to see him made HC. I hope Michael Bidwill goes after him quickly.

54. By azjam on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I mentioned that I am happy with Bevel. Not so much with Arians. I really don’t want us going after another Pittsburgh Steeler coach. Especially one that was let go and that the fans were glad to see him leave. He is 60 years and has had health problems. Lets go young. I can say that as I’m 70. (smile).

55. By sarah on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Hire a coach with head coaching experience and OC experience, Jon Gruden’s name jumps out as does Steve Marriucci ( spelt wrong I know ). If not get the Seattle guy. Also John Hufnagel is a great coach and did a great job in NY. Flavour of the month guys without a long track record can blowup on a team.

Here is Jim Popp’s view on Trestman, Popp recently interviewed for the GM position in Charlotte and is a contender with the Jets. This sums up what we need in a coach.

“I’m very happy for Marc. This is well deserved. We all should be happy for him,” Popp said. “Marc’s well deserving. He’s a proven head coach at a professional level. He’s more qualified than other people getting jobs. With his qualifications and background and proven commodity, the Bears are getting an excellent choice.

“Marc brings discipline, high character and very good organizational skills. He leaves no stone unturned so he’s not surprised. That’s how he coaches a quarterback, how he does his offence. I think it’s a great fit.”

56. By johnnybluenose on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

sarah. you are probably right about trestman. i think he would have been a great hire for us. a good football coach and a good man too. i’m glad we did not sign kelly. he reminds me too much of bobby petrino for some reason. how petrino still manages to get hired is beyond me. and why does an adult named charles kelly allow himself to be known as “chip”? does he think he’s still 12 years old? the favoured candidates are no longer available and there is really no more competition out there (does anyone really want to coach in jacksonville?) so mister bidwill and mister keim can take their time now, maybe wait until the superbowl is over, and get us a new coach. in the meantime darren can keep us entertained by writing about all the potential candidates out there, even the ones that ownership refuse to say have or have not been interviewed. i still think jim caldwell should be interviewed as soon as baltimore’s season ends.

57. By Cardconfused on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Lowest paid G.M. In the NFL, has Mr. Bidwill looked for an affordable local high school coach?

58. By wonderingwhy on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is there a possibility we go for Flynn?

59. By Terry E on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

This is a tricky situation. I think it is easy to second guess Michael Bidwill and that we should realize he is a smart cat and give him a chance to go through the process. Also he is repsponsible for the gains we have made in recent years although we haven’t got where we want he deserves a chance. As far as the coach goes I still think Horton is my first choice. Look what he has done in two years as DC, whos to say he won’t carry this over as HC. He is obviously hungry for it and I wouldn’t bet against him. I also like the idea of an offensive minded coach such as Jay Gruden or Bruce Arians. It should be interesting to see how things develop including the roster, salary cap and draft.

60. By ken wollenberg on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Yes John the draft guy, but he followed with saying that’s the something the cardinals have to take a look at. Wouldn’t it be better said , by a person applying for a job such as this ” I’ve seen a disconnect and problems with the quarterback situation you have had and I believe I’m the guy that can sort that out and correct that issue”. Rather than a comment that sounds like….” hell you guys got problems with your QB! And if ya don’t have one of them you are pretty much screwed!
    Just didn’t come off as a “football guy” FO is looking for. Let alone a guy that is willing to get his hands dirty and fight for the right to become a head coach.

Just my opinion

61. By Andy Kw on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

THE NUMBER ONE TARGET IS BRUCE ARIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -We should not hire Darrell Bevell or Todd Haley so remove them from the list.
    -Jay Gruden and Ray Horton are the other options but with the successes of Bruce Arians and what he did with the Colts, Browns, and Steelers, it makes him one of the best coaches so far. He coached Andrew Luck and the Colts and look at what happened after the 2-3 start led by Chuck Pagano, Bruce Arians took over and led them to a 10-5. The Steelers offense regressed so much after Arians left. This organization is right, they should look for an Offensive Minded Coach. Arians is the right man for the job being reunited with Horton.

62. By Chuck 1 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been beating the table for Arians since Whiz was fired.
    It’s about time that the Cards are showing some interest.
    However, I don’t think that it’s genuine.

63. By jocards on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

One thing is certain…..No matter who the next coach ends up being he will be sold as “our first choice all along” And we’ll hear again….”we wanted to perform our due diligence in relation to the process”. Well what else are you going to say, right? In the end all the spin won’t matter if the guy turns out to be the right choice. Turning this franchise around is a major undertaking. There has been so much losing over the years that getting things turned around will be a colossal challenge. If a coach can achieve and sustain any kind of success here he is one heck of a coach…..This franchise has perpetually been looking for that guy. Arians? Bevell? Horton? Gruden? We’ll see…..

64. By jasonsoroski on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Bevell did a nice job utilizing Wilson and running an effective offense this year, thats for sure. And on paper Arizona has better offensive personnel. Might be intruiging.

65. By jasonsoroski on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Regarding Wilson . . . . “”The Seahawks “loved his intagibles, loved how he played the game,” but the team was careful to draw up an offense that worked for Wilson at every stage.”” Add to that a little Tebow workout and you have material for a lot of sports blogs . . . .

66. By Cactus jeff on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Why are we worried about Horton? Sea chickens put up 58. The talent on the roster is geared towards a 4-3. Let the HC take charge and put the his staff together.

67. By cardsalltheway on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren: “but he(Michael Bidwill) was a lawyer up until about a year ago.”

Nough said! I know of a lawyer who can’t spell or write grammatically correct English with any consistency. There are others out there that many say are low, low like snakes. As far as Michael goes, I don’t know him, only that he supposedly visited Brazil recently not long before he fired Ken W. which I’m thankful for.

On the coaching front, there’s got to be something to the fact we still don’t have a head coach and are the next to last team without. Arizona as a state is a laughing stock which is sad. I’m not from AZ originally but attended university there and have moved away since graduation so I know how some outside view AZ these days. I hope to someday return to AZ for at least a visit and attend an NFL game at Phoenix Stadium but I think it might feel like a scene out of the Twilight Zone.

I also know how closed minded some “Basin-onians” are. Take for example how that former Cards OL on the 620 sports radio “Doug and Wolf” show, he also does “Cardinals Underground” with Darren. That fella always refers to his audience as “Basin-onians” but must not realize that everyone listening doesn’t live or has ever visited Phoenix / AZ, don’t even think about ever becoming “America’s Team” with that attitude.

68. By Rio on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Arians baby, Aroians baby.

69. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Underground

Yes, we were wanting for a coach.

70. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Cardconfused —

RE: “lowest paid”

Multiple reports disputed that claim.

71. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Wondering —

RE: Flynn

I guess it is possible.

72. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Cardsalltheway —

RE: Mike

Congrats for taking something out of context. We were talking about PFT. Mike is Mike Florio, who runs the site and wrote the piece. My comment had nothing to do with Michael Bidwill.

73. By Eazy E on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

What are we waiting for? I like Arians but not over Horton. Damn cardinals finding every damn excuse not to hire Horton.#WTF is going on in the desert

74. By sarah on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose,

Trestman hands down is better than all the other candidates including Whiz. He is a thinking mans coach and commands great respect from his players. He would have been a great fit in Arizona and when I mentioned it ..well it got whatever. Watch what he does with Jay Cutler ! I will say this again, the other guy to look at is John Hufnagel who now has head coaching experience. An OC guy stepping up to head coach is a big step, HC is a multi level job and managerial role. Arizona cannot fool with a guy who has not been a HC anywhere. I think Mike Miller ruined the offence this past year, hopefully we get a guy who is a leader. Whiz lost the confidence of the players with his dog house crap, none more than Docket and Wilson. Not playing Skelton in NY was just cruel and Atlanta.

75. By clssylssy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    Michael Bidwill was a lawyer so what’s your point; being a lawyer somehow negates your credibility in the professional sports arena? Mike Florio regularly, has spots on ESPN, NFL Football preshow, etc., and seems to be pretty objective and truthful when reporting the news. He has interviewed Fitz and has been rather kind to the Cards when other reporters wouldn’t give us a kind word. Of course I know he was a lawyer and by the looks at the early breaking stories he runs, he is “connected” and gets a lot of valid information on a “breaking” basis so I would assume he’s given it by direct and reliable sources who respect his abilities to report ; although I doubt that they are journalists…lol. I like him because he still seems to check his sources and rarely runs a story that is not true. He doesn’t have to sensationalize and being a spokesman for NBC pretty much gives him the credibility of being a newsman and not just a journalist. My point was merely that the Cards have lost their credibility and this exercise in absurdity is killing any respectability we had manage to gain under Coach Whisenhunt in the last six years.
    I always come here first to get news each day about my Cards, but, somehow PFT has it first!

76. By Bill L on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Maybe I can get an interview as HC……..I think we are coming to that soon….very soon

Any OC coming here as HC will be in much worse shape than Whiz was…….and look what it’s done for him. He got a lot of good pay days but is damaged goods as far as getting another HC job. Any new OC/HC will likely be damaged 10 fold.

Haley is a very interesting case……..first refusing to interview for the HC position until his OWNER intervened……HIS OWNER!!!…….good OL’ boy network still exists among Owners!

So, he interviews and asks a VERY HIGH PRICE…….Nobody discusses WHAT that high price was, or WHY……but it seems under the right terms he would take the job.

“WHY” seems easy to me……Haley KNOWS the Bidwills and how they operate.

“WHAT” is speculation, but is directly connect to the “WHY” IMO………how about a LT guaranteed contract……how about complete control over staff budget/numbers…….how about complete control over salary Cap/FA…….how about complete control over the draft. In other words I suspect Haley’s VERY HIGH PRICE was to turn Bidwill into the Owner he should have been all along……that’s not a very high price to Bidwill………THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE.

77. By cardsalltheway on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Oops I’m sorry. But what’s it matter anyway, did I say something that offended you? M. Bidwill was an attorney too so please understand for I’m not perfect. It’s just that we’re now the LAST team without a head coach, not looking good for M.B.(former lawyer) and Cardinal fans. Why do we have to be the last team?

78. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

And, then there was one.
    One that is, which hasn’t selected a Head Coach.
    That one would be the Arizona Cardinals.
    Michael is taking the due diligence process to a new level.
    Hopefully, he will select a HC before the first regular season game of 2013.

79. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Florio

Didn’t say he couldn’t be a journalist too, nor did I say he didn’t do a good job.

You said he was one of the most well-respected journalists out there. That’s what I have an issue with. And in the case of Keim, it seems he was off. Everyone, with the Keim stuff, wanted to run with what Florio himself admitted was just a rumor. Think about that for a second.

80. By georgiebird on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Re: Jags get HC
    Cards now have what they want. Cards can now sign any coach they desire without fear of competition or a bidding war. Not a great way to run a professional team BUT it may work. None of the new head coaches (so far) is the next Lombardi .

81. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Mistake

I’m not offended.

But maybe, just maybe, you should think twice before eagerly jumping in to make smartass comments about every single situation. That does offend me. Maybe you’d avoid some of these pitfalls.

82. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: HC

Wait a minute.

You claim you have wanted Arians from the start. So if they get him — and I don’t know if they will — you still rip them because, why, they didn’t get him last week?

I just don’t get it. If the guy they hire wins, everyone here will be happy. If he doesn’t, you won’t. Won’t matter what his hire date is. Not sure why it matters now.

83. By Bill L on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Well, I interviewed with Bidwill……….I told him I have no idea as to how to do the job, and I don’t give a damn if the team wins or loses……….as long as I make a lot of money……………He said we were kindred spirits…………I think I might have a chance here………..anyone want to be my OC?……….FIGHT ON!!!!

84. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Bill L —

You are just so hilarious. I’m glad you post here. You do so much to advance the conversation.

85. By Bill L on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

No problem……..I thought it was pretty good too……..LOL!!!

86. By MIKE G on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! I heard that Arians almost landed the Bears job and if he got it would have taken Whiz, Grimm and Todd Bowles as his coaches. It was reported that he is a very loyal guy to his coaches and is very good friends with all 3. If hired here and he wanted Todd Bowles to run his defense
    do you think the Card’s brass would step in and veto his move in replacing Horton as a D coach???????

87. By Louisville Card on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I have to applaud you for what you have to put up with this last season and continuing on now. The comments people are making seem ridiculous how they are getting so upset with the coaching job taking a little longer than usual to fill. The one bright spot is that Arians and Bevell are both great choices and their aren’t any teams left that need coaches. So they are in a good bargaining position. I would also assume that they will be naming their choice either today or tomorrow as well since both candidates will have been interviewed by tonight.

Would you think that they will be announcing their choice by Saturday Darren or do you think they will bring in somebody else to Interview?

88. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: DC

I think that’s all part of negotiating. I would have anything set in stone.

89. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Timeline/other candidates

Honestly, I have no idea.

90. By wnycardfan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

RE: BIll L & perceptions:
    Darren, while its true that Bill’s comments didn’t do much to advance the discussion, it was funny. VERY Sarcastic, but still funny.
    But his humor, to me is based on the perception, right or wrong, that the Cardinals (with an s) have had for a long time. A losing organization, doesn’t like to spend money, not an attractive place to coach/play, etc.
    That’s just what I can see/tell from reading and being a fan for 30+ years. If you said you were from the state of NY and liked the Dallas Cowboys (or steelers or etc), no one says “how’d you ever come to like them?”. But if you say your favorite team is the Cardinals (whether they were in St. Louis or AZ) they say “what?? how come? what made you like them”.
    IN this coachign search, I certainly want them to make sure they get the right fit, the right hire to lead this team from the depths of NFC west and the pitiful play that they’ve had (mainly on OFF the last 2- 3 years, but history again rears its ugly head). And you are right, if whoever it is wins, we won’t care if he was hired last and at the end of JAN. But right now, we don’t know that, we only know the history and the appearance, and thus my concerns about this coaching search. It would APPEAR that we are the least desirable team to coach. Who knows why. Reid doesn’t even bother to visit. McCoy doesn’t bother to hear our 2nd offer/interview. The Jags, who are and have been horrible, get their coach before we do. Could be the offer, could be they didn’t care to wait and took who ever came along. None the less, we are the “also rans”. Lets see how much press we get when we finally name our guy vs. these other teams (NFL.com, etc).
    PS: perhaps I missed it, but can you provide a little more background on Bevell. Other than being the OC this year with seahawks, what else did he do?

91. By kenny on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

the search is a disater ..should never of fired wiz … the cardinals are not far away as people think there d is top 5 they have skilled players on offense ..just need a qb and a few o lineman thats it wiz had a system in place …dont want no one new messing things up!!!…so hire ray horton at least he will keep the d in place ..frustrated and missing wiz ..peace

92. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

wnycard —

RE: Bevell

93. By Dennis on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Of course no surprise here, we’re the last one to find a coach. No reason to elevate Horton now since he won’t be getting a HC job this year. Maybe extend his contract for two more years to get the new HC (whomever that may be) 3 years to improve the rest of the team.

94. By clssylssy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    Who makes up the scouting staff? And, I don’t recall saying anything about Keim?

95. By jocards on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

wnycardfan –

In my opinion you make a lot of spot on observations. The perception of this franchise didn’t just come about for no reason either. The Cardinals have been a franchise since 1920 and no coach has won more than Ken Whisnehunt…..he won 45 games and was under .500…..That is the “winningest” coach in franchise history?!? While one can never be sure what direction things will take it is easy to understand why folks might have some doubts about the Bidwill’s and their ability to identify and hire the right guy.

96. By johnnybluenose on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

darren. offended by smartass comments? say it ain’t so.

97. By Jerrytown on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I just think it’s funny that all these people make comments about the “horrible” job Bidwill is doing regarding the interview process. Nobody has any idea what went on in these interviews, yet they are adamant that Bidwill doesn’t know what he’s doing and is too cheap to lure a solid HC to the desert. Think about it this way, we are the last team to hire a coach so we have our pick of the litter and that immediately makes the Cards HC position the most desirable in the NFL by default. We only lost out on one candidate that we liked, and that happens every year in this business. Now we hold all the cards. So far all of you that think you could do a better job because you watch a lot of football, understand that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than you realize. Not to mention that 98% of you on this board don’t really understand the X’s and O’s and all you’re doing is regurgitating crap you read on the Internet, most of which is some other uninformed idiot’s opinion. So quit whining about this and let it play out before offering up your negative opinion.

98. By HunterSThompson on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Where the heck is the discussion or consideration for Greg Roman (OC -49ers) to be HC of the Cardinals??? Want to fix the Cards in one season? Hire Roman for HC, let him be OC, and get Alex Smith for QB at all costs. With some solid drafting and free agency Cards are instantly back in the mix in the NFC West.

Get it done.

99. By jocards on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

My misspelling of “Whisenhunt” above was merely a typo and was not meant to be disrespectful of him in any way.

100. By Richard on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Do you think the Cardinals are waiting for Greg Roman and they figure they might as well interview other coaches while they wait for him to be available? Might make sense if they want Alex Smith.

101. By sarah on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Good summation by Steve Young of what a good offensive head coach can do for a QB.

102. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Scouts

List can be found here, with bio links.