Arians thinks Cards give him “heck of a feeling”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 17, 2013 – 2:07 pm

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is interviewing with the Cardinals today, and as has been custom to candidates who have come to Tempe, he met with the media this afternoon. He’s wanted to become a head coach for a long time and admitted he isn’t sure why he hasn’t garnered more interest before now, but he’s taking advantage of his visits. The Bears, during Marc Trestman’s press conference today, acknowledged Arians was the runner-up for that job. The Cards are the lone job left open, and Arians is the latest candidate — following Ray Horton, Jay Gruden, Todd Haley, and Darrell Bevell of the known guys left available.

He just went through an emotional season with the Colts, making the playoffs and serving as interim head coach as Chuck Pagano went through leukemia treatments. He admitted it wouldn’t be easy to leave Indianapolis. “I told my agent early, when he was setting up interviews, ‘I’m going to have to have a heck of a feeling about that organization, owner, general manager, team, to leave where I am right now,’ ” Arians said.

So someone asked the obvious: Does he have that feeling in Arizona?

“Yes I do,” he said.

– Arians said he couldn’t really comment on what would happen with defensive coordinator Ray Horton or any assistant still under contract if he got the job. “It’s too early in the process,” he said.

– He said he would hire an offensive coordinator if he were head coach. But he said he would call the plays himself until he found someone who could do it better. Not a surprise. That’s what Ken Whisenhunt did when he first arrived in Arizona. He said, doing it with the Colts, “it’s easy. There are plenty of hours in the day.”

– A team is always looking for a good quarterback. You try and find that. But until you do, Arians said you have to coach up the players in front of you and “make them better.”

– He’s had to learn how to delegate, when serving as interim HC for the Colts.

Being a head coach, “it’s not as hard as it’s supposed to be.”

We’ll see if that means he will get a chance in Arizona. I don’t know who is the favorite, so please don’t ask. Nor do I know when this is going to be resolved. Obviously, with Jacksonville hiring Gus Bradley Thursday morning, the Cards have the only remaining head coaching vacancy. I have a full Arians story on the homepage.

Tags: , , , , ,

62 Responses to “Arians thinks Cards give him “heck of a feeling””

1. By AZcardsfan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Watched the interview and wasn’t impressed, but then what do I know.

2. By Billy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

HE LIED WHEN HE SAID “Yes I Do”.

3. By Ben on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I say take Bevel, that leaves the Seahawks severely hampered, maybe that means we can overtake them next year. Just a thought, and I really liked his interview, much better than Arians.

Plus I am done with Steelers by products.

4. By syncro9z on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Watched the live feed. I like this guy. I just would like to see him keep the defense together from horton on down.
    he was asked regarding the horton reports. I heard a reporter ask him whagt he thought of Horton’s defense, then got interrupted. What are your thoughts of this situation? Do you feel Keim would take a hardline on keeping Horton regardless of who they hire? If so I would favor Arians. That is if my opinion actially counted…haha

5. By JAKE on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Arians seems cool but I think I would prefer Bevell. He is younger and more experienced with our division…. not to mention it would screw Seattle a little bit.

6. By AZcardsfan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

X2 on Bevel

7. By K-DUB on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Are the Cardinals waiting for Greg Roman by any chance? Alex Smith might be a FA, Greg Roman two successful seasons as OC. All HC jobs are now filled.

8. By Birdman2 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Not really impressed like I expected but, as AZcardsfan said, what do I know. I was much more impressed with Bevell plus his coaching history is in the NFC not the AFC like Arians.

The order of preference IMHO is: Bevell, Horton, Arians with a big no for Gruden

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

syncro –

RE: Horton

I think until a contract is agreed upon, everything is negotiable from both sides.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

K-Dub –

RE: Roman

I have no idea.

11. By Michael D. Stofko on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

All I can say is whether Arians or Bevell gets the job, I hope they keep Ray Horton as DC. If they don’t they should have their head examined.

12. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Just to be a HC, he is willing to walk away from Andrew Luck and the playoff Colts. Luck can lead that team to the superbowl in time. (maybe when Brady is done). That is a tough choice, just to be the head guy, you leave Luck at QB to a team that has no luck at QB.

Interesting that the guy we wanted, McCoy, just named his OC, Ken Whisenhunt. Congrats. Ken’s downfall was not finding a QB. Well, you got a pretty good one out there in SD. Now get things going out there.

On a different matter, if you have NFL network, watch the Brady 6. Great story.

13. By Judy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I liked Airans,but i will be happy with whomever gets the job,untill he proves to be a bad choice.I am hopeing that they will mak the right choice though.Was anything said about Airans health?

14. By bluepitt on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Arians it is…..so lets see if Horton stays.

15. By bluepitt on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Contract in the works right now with Arians… breaking news!! You got it here 1st…lol

16. By BFrye on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Darren – I know you have no idea who the organizations – but who is your favorite so far?

17. By Tucson Card on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I say no to Arians. Not impressed. He’s a downgrade from Whisenhunt.

Let’s move forward with Ray Horton.

18. By jeffgollin on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I could live with Horton, Arians, Bevell or Gruden.

Tie-breakers – Will Horton accept a higher-profile OC in order to be HC? (If he answers correctly, he should get the gig). If not, Who, among the other 3 is the best natural leader and has the best offensive chops (i.e. has an answer for anything that might crop up)? The guy that best fits these criteria, gets my vote.

19. By Hammy on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

What a great press conference. I really like Arians as a candidate for this team. This guy is well qualified to be a head coach and run our offense. Look for those that are all on the Horton bandwagon, please get off. There is a reason why they are interviewing other candidates. Horton has been great these past couple of years but to be honest we need a true offensive head coach as HC.

Im sure Keim knows enough about football to pick the right candidate to lead this franchise.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

BFrye –

RE: Favorite

I haven’t gotten to take part in any interviews, so I have no idea.

21. By tyman on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Mr Bidwill

Please hire Bruce as the next head coach .
    And please entice Ray to stay and become the Dick LeBeau type coach of he Cards.

Id try to keep the pay scale up on Horton to keep him happy.

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

If we’re really entertaining the idea of letting the new head coach pick his own DC then I’m on the hire Lovie Smith bandwagon. But I can’t believe that is actually the case. Arians and his Pittsburgh background/Pagano connection makes a certain amount of sense from that standpoint.

23. By azjam on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Good press conference. I like Arians. He knows how to develop qbs and build an offense. Well respected throughout the league. A players coach. He is now my first choice and Bevell at #2.

24. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Well, first of all, congrats to the Cardinals on being the ONLY team out of EIGHT to still be flailing away at their search for a new HC. Gee, no one saw that coming, did they??? Great job, fellas. This is EXACTLY the LACK of direction and aggressiveness and decisiveness that I was hoping would have gone out the door with the previous regime. sadly, it has not. But…hey, I guess that’s one way to find your next coach – just wait until everyone else gets their guy and then see who’s left over. Hmmm….sounds a lot like theis approach to free agency the past several years….but I guess ya gotta stick with what works, eh?

That said, I think Arians IS a good choice and perhaps the best choice that may remain at this point. The man had to take over a team on the fly that was no sure bet to do anything this past year and he did a helluva a job. I say hire the guy. Please. Give the appearance of having a clue about where you want to go and friggin’ GET THERE ALREADY!!!! There really are no obvious better candidates out there. And if ya give the guy much more time to think about it, he might come to his senses and wonder what the hell he’s thinking!

C’mon, dammit, get it done! I swear, this will be the biggest joke ever if they spend all this time searching for a HC only to end up hiring Horton, who is already an employee and who they could have hired, what, a month ago?????

25. By tom on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

where is the video of arians?

26. By AZcardsfan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

You’ve been covering the cards for 13 years. Why aren’t you taking part in the interviews? Doesn’t make sense.

27. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,

Having this kind of uncertainty at QB is the gift that keeps on giving, isn’t it? Screws up our season, and makes finding someone willing to inherit it very difficult. On the upside, one good acquisition can make it all a memory as a few teams in our division have proved (at least in the short term).

28. By sarah on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Surprised Whiz took an OC job, at the end of the day he was still a good HC just not in Arizona. In 2011 they won out with Skelton and heroics, in 2012 line issues, play calling, QB issues, running game sank him and more importantly inconsistent coaching.

I am weary of upping an OC to HC, some guys peak at OC and Arizona should not be a training ground for someone with no HC experience, There are so many proven and qualified ex HC’s out there. HC is about management and these guys all are weak in that capacity. Chicago got Trestman because he had massive OC experience ( and QB coaching experience with winners) but more importantly head coaching experience and track record. A winning team can afford to experiment with an OC upped to HC, the Cardinals cannot and will live to regret someone who has only been calling plays as opposed to leading and managing a team.

Here is Trestman’s Chicago introduction press conference, the Cards need a guy like this. Ironic that University of Phoenix ad opens it !

29. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Beyond HC, there are still plenty of pot-holes to fill before this road will be anywhere near fixed. Will be interesting too see where this goes. Made me cringe the other day when I saw reports of the Seahawks dangling Matt Flynn out there for anyone who wanted to make an offer. Yeah…great. Let’s make a deal with a division rival already light years better than the Cardinals for yet another QB question mark…but I’m guessing that doesn’t happen ( sure hope it doesn’t ). IMHO, Alex Smith would appear to be the best of what might be available. No sure thing there, either, but…we can’t go into another season with Kolb and Skelton.

Also, just wanted to say ( and sincerely ) congrats to Whiz for landing in San Diego as OC. Honestly, I would have to see Whiz not succeed in another place as HC before I decided that just can’t succeed in that role. But, maybe he IS just one of those guys who is better suited to be a coordinator. No shame in that.

I will also share that of the MANY Eagle fans I come in contact with every day, NOT ONE OF THEM wanted to see him land in Philly as HC.

Amazing, when ya think about it, that 25% of the NFL teams will have new HC’es going into next year. That’s a lot of turnover.

30. By canadian redbird on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Being the last team to hire a HC isn’t the worst thing that can happen; it probably indicates they are doing their due diligence in making the correct hire vs giving the fans a quick fix. Good for Kiem and Bidwill. My suggestion is to contact Roman from San Francisco and find out if the man is interested. If so, then wait for the season to play itself out. If not, then management can sign the guy from the list that remains. Its not like any of these candidates has other options other than returning to their former team. Heck, Roman had been rumored to be heading to Jacksonville, now we know thats not possible.
    As for Whiz, good for him that he caught on with the Chargers. I have so much more reason for optimism though with any of the possible hires vs. having Whiz & Grimm lead this team for another year.
    I have full faith that the person hired will be a good hire and one that brings some hope to the valley. PATIENCE MY CARDINAL FRIENDS; IN DUE TIME, IN DUE TIME.

31. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Very impressed with the interview. Best one yet of the three that were posted. I like Arian’s confidence, and I like that he will call the plays.

Darren –

Is there a reason Ray Horton’s press conference wasn’t taped, or didn’t he have a press conference?

@ AZcardsfan –

I’m sure Darren would tell you that formal interviews with ownership and the GM are above his pay grade. Plus, Darren doesn’t really like breaking down draft prospects and giving opinions on them, so it’s hard to believe he’d want a role in evaluating a new head coach. I think if Darren had his way, there would be no talk about the draft until it was over. LOL!

32. By rimrunner on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

i believe the cardinals are taking their time because they know they have Horton as a good pick for head coach the longer this goes on the more they believe it will be Horton there is no sense into pulling the trigger when u know u hav Horton

33. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I do agree with Scott H that Bidwill should hire Arians ASAP, if he believes Arians is his guy, otherwise Arians might come to his senses and change his mind Bidwill continues playing “The Waiting Game.” But seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if being the last team to hire a coach was Biidwill’s strategy all along — to put themselves in a better position to hire a quality coach like Arians or Roman from a playoff-calibur team. Really, next season can’t get much worse than last, so what’s the rush if the Cards are the last team to hire a coach? Both Arians — and I assume Roman — would call their own plays anyway, so getting a new OC might not be as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.

It’s frustrating not knowing what’s going to happen, but I have confidence that Bidwill and Keim are going to make a good hire.

34. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Let’s, see.. today is Thursday so I want Arians as HC.
    Yesterday was Wednesday and I yearned Bevell.
    On Tuesday, Horton was my choice.
    Monday, McCoy was the obvious guy.
    I think that Gruden guy had a day in there somewheres.

Wonder what will happen manana? My wishy-washy mind is being overloaded.

35. By Corgon on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I think the job will go to him or Bevell. Gruden seems to lack of confidence and Horton simply not the man. That’s pretty clear.
    Arians could bring a lot of experience, while Bevell a young hungry guy who already has successes. I think the Cards are in a good position.

36. By Andy Kw on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I watched the 3 interviews of Gruden, Bevell, and Arians and the one that I was impressed with the most is Arians. Bruce Arians played an impact to the Browns, Steelers, and Colts offenses. As you saw the tremendous meltdown of the Steelers offense after he left and offensive nwhen he was replaced by Chuck Pagano, it, in away, shows that Arians knows the way to coach. Bruce Arians understands a majority of the staff that is already here due to the fact that most of our coaching staff members were former Pittsburgh Steeler’s coaches. Jay Gruden may have coached Andy Dalton and A.J. Green but the Cincinnati Bengals were not capable of getting through the struggling Texans defense and he does not have the mindset of coaching this team to where it needs to be. He does not understand this organization and when he coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, they were prone to throwing many interceptions no matter their Super Bowl run. For Bevell, he is a great Offensive Coordinator but is he the right guy for this organization? We want a coach that understands this organization, has experience as a head coach, and has coached young QBs into becoming elite QBs. Gruden coached Andy Dalton and that was pretty much it. Bevell, he coached Brett Favre and currently Russell Wilson. Look at his other coaching on QBs: Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenthal (They are basically busts and are not capable of leading teams at all).
    Bruce Arians coached QBs Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, WR Mike Wallace, WR Antonio Brown, WR Santonio Holmes, WR T.Y Hilton, WR Reggie Wayne, and also so many other great players. He transformed many players into potential elite players.

37. By ken wollenberg on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Local channel 5 announced Arien is new Cards HC

38. By ken wollenberg on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Let’s get rocking Cards

39. By Rich on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

good hire. can’t believe arians was still there for us.

40. By johnnybluenose on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

i guess bruce is the boss.

41. By Blake Martin on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

It seems to me about half the fans like Arians and half don’t like Arians. I don’t mind Arians but I’d prefer Bevell.

42. By Rio on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Arizona wins big, Bruce Arians was the best guy out there, winning recrord with colts 9 and 3, this guy has it all.

I can’t believe we got such and experience and sucessful coach.

Good job bidwill and staff.

He will find a QB for us.

43. By Jordan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Big fan of Bruce. I think he’s got a great football mind and will be able to establish an identity. At this point in the process he’s my number 1 choice. Ray is after him and Bevell is third. I hope that Gruden isn’t being seriously considered and I don’t even wanna think about Haley.

44. By bluepitt on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

TOLD YOU!!!!!!! I WAS TALKING WITH SOME OF MY FRONT OFFICE PEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need to know any more info just feel free to Email me Darren….lol

45. By ken wollenberg on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Sounds like you get a breather from coaching wars and the h&d on this site.
    Take a breath sir and get ready for round 2 assistant coach bashing

I don’t envy you dude!

46. By Dre on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

What the hell Horton is out at dc. Bs the eagles dc will be the new one I can’t believe this 31.4 points allowed open your eyes Steve or do the math. Not happy

47. By Terry E on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I have to say I am not excited but still hopeful. I feel bad for Ray Horton.. I hope he is retained. I still think we will regret not hiring Horton and he will go on to be a great head coach. I hope Arians and Keim have a chemistry and he has the abilities to build a lethal offense. Only time will tell. Next big topic coordinators and then the draft.

48. By Chuck 1 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Sarah,

In case you forgot, Arians WAS the Colts HC this season (granted, in the absence of Chuck Pagano). All Arians did was LEAD the Colts to the playoffs.

For that reason, he was my choice at the beginning of the HC search, not to mention that he had been a QB coach and OC (for a successful Steeler playoff run).

Good things come to those (the Cards) who wait, even though it seems like it took too long for them to realize who the best HC candidate was. Although it seems like Michael and Keim stumbled into this selection.

49. By dynasty1717 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I don’t mind the Bruce Arians selection. He was probably the best remaining choice. But, losing Horton will certainly hurt. That being said, if Horton was going to be ticked for 1 more year until his contract was up and ultimately jump the Card’s ship, it’s probably better to move on to a new DC now. Many fans on this blog wanted a massive coaching overhaul and they got their wish. I really have to question hiring Todd Bowles as the new DC, however. That seems like a mistake. Should have hired Rob Marinelli. Let’s hope for the best. Getting Chance Warmack and Landry Jones might be a decent start.

50. By Jason Marcus on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren, Will Horton stay or go? I hope he hangs in there for the season,my wife says he should have done something better with his hair.

51. By Dan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Bruce Arians? Does Andrew Luck get part of his contract? What a joke, should have been Horton…………..dropped the ball again. Wrong direction, same old Cardinals and put that in print.

52. By Terry E on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Sounds like Horton is out. I sure hope we know what we’re doing.
    Maybe we coiuld trade him to the Browns…..

53. By Jerrytown on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m speechless. That doesn’t make sense? Since when has any member of the media ever been invited to partake in personnel interviews? And even if he did, do you think the team would want him to report that? Darren, I’m really looking forward to reading your blogs from inside the Cards war room on draft day, can’t wait for the inside scoop!

54. By Jcards on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!! Ray HORTON RELEASED !!!!! this is insane !!!!!! i thought bidwill told the fans we were trying to become a winning team !? this is absurd ! the cardinals didn’t have a offense and we still tore there defense apart so what now its gonna be a decent offense with a 32 ranked defense once again

55. By pacardfan on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, one step forward, two steps back. smh. Lossing Horton (as it appears will happen), is not a good thing. Look what he has done with the D. I can understand why Horton would be upset he wasn’t the choice, but with the right mgt., Im sure things can be discuessed interal and be fixed. However, is bringing in Philly’s DC the answer if Horton goes? What did their d do? humm….
    Also, is Mr. B really a Steelers fan? I mean, come on, look at the track record for his coaching staff/upper level mgt…..former Steelers coaches!!!! Cards also seem to go after a lot of former or current Steelers players. Hopefully Bruce will drive away from all these Steelers connections. GET ALEX SMITH AND JAKE LONG IF THEY ARE AVB. !!! I’m ok with the coach, but it does suck to hear Horton will prob. be gone:(

56. By Jahstone on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m getting a heck of a bad feeling.

57. By EDijkstra on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I am very unhappy with the Arians hire. From the interviews he just does not seem very sharp. No doubt he has participated in a lot of successes over his career, but who is to say how much of the credit is his? When he was head coach at Temple for 6 years, he had only two winning seasons at 6-5. For the second of these, in 1986, the wins were vacated because of an ineligible player, and he was gone the next year (according to Wikipedia).

I hope I am wrong. I do not think so, though. If I am right, he will not be able to match what Whiz and Horton accomplished this painful year. Unfortunately, even if that happens it almost certainly will not be the end of his here, because coaches are almost never let go after a year..

58. By BIG RED on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

There we go again, letting go of Ray Horton another mistake on the organization. We’ll regret it!

59. By cardsalltheway on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Horton once told M. Bidwill he would get a haircut but Bidwill told him not to because he liked it. Was it a mistake for Horton to have listened to Bidwill? Maybe S. Kiem didn’t like his dreads and liked Arians much more, notice they both have the same hairdo. Steve Kiem should introduce Arians to his valley barber.

60. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Ottis –

RE: Horton presser

His talks came up informally. Not sure Cards knew he was going to talk. I had to catch up to him that day on the phone because I didn’t know it was going down.

61. By george sanchez on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Bidwells screw up again, incompetence. Horton should have gotten HC job. I see another dreadfull season.

62. By Mark smitty on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m a die hard cards fan all my life..but I like Arian and have to agree with him. He wants to be the head coach and wants the players to know that.if there’s any trouble down the road in the locker room he wants the players to come to him! And not ray Horton.defense players will still play like the pros they are now.we need a qb and offensive minded talented experienced coach. We got it! Lets be happy About it ! Draft o-line and 1-rb and sign Alex smith. Lol..I hope 49ers let him go.