Arians’ former bosses speak about new Cards coach

Posted by Darren Urban on January 18, 2013 – 11:41 am

The Indianapolis Colts released statements today from general manager Ryan Grigson — brother of Cardinals scout Dru Grigson — and head coach Chuck Pagano as their offensive coordinator Bruce Arians embarks on his new career as Cardinals head coach.

General Manager Ryan Grigson

“We congratulate Bruce on this great opportunity with the Arizona Cardinals. The exceptional job he did this past season in keeping this team focused, combined with his long record of accomplishment, made him a very attractive candidate for a head coaching position and we congratulate the Cardinals on their good judgment in selecting him. BA did a remarkable job last season, filling in for his friend and head coach in a time of need. Without BA’s selflessness, leadership, football acumen, and competitive spirit, we couldn’t have had the season we did. We surely will miss BA’s presence as a coach and a friend but we’re delighted for him and we wish Bruce, Chris, and their entire family nothing but the best as they embark on their new journey.”

Head Coach Chuck Pagano

“We are excited for Bruce, Chris, and his entire family. This is an opportunity of a life time and I know he will do a great job. Arizona hired a great coach but a better man. What he did in my absence was truly remarkable. I am forever in debt to Bruce. He is and always will be a great friend and I wish him nothing but the best as he begins this new chapter in his life.”

Tags: , , ,

36 Responses to “Arians’ former bosses speak about new Cards coach”

1. By Louisville Card on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I’m sure you’re having a busy couple of days. I really like Arians and think he will turn the offense around. Does he have any kind of relationship with Castillo? Is there a chance he could be the OL coach?

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Castillo/Arians

I don’t know if there is a relationship there.

3. By Iacardinal on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

This is GREAT hire and I love the new direction they are taking. If Ray acted like he did, than obviously not the right guy for the better of the team, no matter if he was slighted, still needs to be professional. Just look at BA’s resume all the way back to Temple. He helped Cleveland and TIM COUCH make the playoffs…added 1000 yards to Pittsburgh’s offense, etc…this guy is going to do it the right way and to be honest, it will be nice to see some emotion on the sideline. Draft lineman the first two rounds, pick up Matt Moore from Miami and let’s get this thing turned around, Big Red Rage!

4. By Nick - from NM on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I’m excited to see BA come in and ready for a new chapter. I hate to see Horton go, not just because we share the same last name, but because of his effectiveness as a DC. Does Bowles run the same kind of D? I know rumors will also spin around the quarterback situation but will we here a comment from Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, or Hoyer?

5. By JAKE on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Welcome to the Cardinals Mr Arians

6. By dreadfantasy on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

So…we wait until the guy Horton has lined up at OC gets hired elsewhere….

Fire Horton who took us into top 15 overall defensive territory (top 5 in some very important categories)

If Arians really wants Bowles who has made bad worse in philly… I have no confidence in his judgement.

I’ll watch games, on television, but that is all the support you get from me if Bowles is hired Bidwill until they prove something. No more Jerseys, no more tix.

7. By Chad on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I am excited about the hire. He was my 2nd choice (I recognize I’m no where near an expert though). With Horton gone, I am curious about Bowles if that is the guy…what has he done?

8. By NJCardsFan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Any reports on the Horton/Keim blow out? Something really nasty must have been said for him to get released so quickly ?? This is very disheartening news. Was looking forward to at least one more year with Horton and this defense.

9. By jeffgollin on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren – If you get the chance, please ask BA what things he learned from working with Peyton Manning.

Also – Do you have any insight regarding BA’s relationship with Ray Horton when they were both on the Steelers?

10. By Giorgio on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

The best thing that one can say about a man or woman no matter what they have accomplished in life is that they are a good and decent person…and are seen that way by their friends and fellow competitors. Sounds very much like Coach Arians fits that bill. If you know the Cardinals ownership you know that matters. NFL football, much like the global oil business that I came from, is a rough and tumble business where there are real winners and losers in a 16-game season. Coaches know it. We fans sometimes fail to get it. Go Cards. Go Arizona.

11. By Steve W. on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I think that what I like most about the selection of Arians as the new Cards HC is what is mentioned above, that he seems like a genuinely good man. It seems to me that the Cards as an organization go out of their way to select good people whether as players or coaches. it’s one of the reasons I’ve stayed a fan of the Cards even after leaving Arizona behind. Good to see that they haven’t shifted away from that focus. I’m hoping that his talent as a head coach equals or exceeds the strength of his character.

12. By Dynosoar on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I won’t presume to say who I want as coaches (although, I won’t presume to say anyone else can’t presume as that would presume too much) other than to keep Ray Horton as our DC. I felt I could voice my thoughts for HC, but now that he’s hired I figure he has a good idea of who he wants for his staff.

I just hope it includes Horton. Then after we win the Super Bowl next year, horton can fulfill his goal of winning a SB as DC and move on from his then expired three year contract as HC of another NFL team.

Kind of excited to hear/read who will be the next OC.

13. By UK CARD on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

It’s OFFICIAL am one PISSED FAN!!!

The front office was so Hell bent on reviving the offensive, they just let the best candidate go!!

Horton would of came in with a burning desires to change the franchise, with the D behind him! Now the veteran players on the fence A-Dub, Darnell are GONE! They aren’t coming back next season!

Full re-boot ahead! :(((

14. By D on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    What happen to business casual on Fridays?

15. By Ben on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

What is up with the audio video on the press conference???

16. By johnnybluenose on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Welcome Bruce. Glory Days…Glory Days !!

17. By jdcrow59 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Just finished watching the conference and have to say, looks like a decent hire. Only time will tell but he certainly says all the right things. Completely understand the Horton thing, only hope he can find a D.C. to continue to build on what has been started. If he can get the disaster that is the offense straightend out, there just might be some interesting times coming this fall.

18. By Brett n Co. on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Looks like georgiebird will get his cry baby way with Horton moving on

19. By zbot on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

did this team really just lose Horton!? i dont know what else to say. i really dont.

20. By nrock on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren, with Arians as the new head coach I am pleased and also concerned.
    I feel like he can turn the offense around, how much remodeling would be done Kolb can do work as long as he has president like security around him. I mean face it he’s like a glass house. He cannot possibly see real potenial in him. possibly a good back up but besides that he’s not great.And in his press conference he said he’ll give each one a chance and I think there has been plenty chances given. if anything the only one who hasn’t been given a fair chance is Hoyer and he did pretty good if i say so. then running back beanie i liked him but he’s just… well you see it. and ryan williams he can be good but what’s it gonna take to get that fear of being hurt again out of his mind. i would like to see another year from him but keep powell and get another back from free agency or draft (obviously) a good one or one that has a chance to produce yards. then that line we need ourselves a line other wise we’ll fail miserably as whole offensive unit. our defense is great but with the loss of horton what will that do? who are the canidates for our dfensive coordinator . i know its a lot to take in but its on a lot of fans minds. i just hope we can keep how our defense is, because in mind it was a shut down d.

21. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

KKFan, WNY fan, “LifeTimeMamber” (who hates the “dog killer” Vick; sorry I forget your name/handle) or any Cards fans from the Northeast who are knowledgeable about the Eagles season:

What caused the Eagles defense to be so bad this season? Was it injuries, bad coaching, poor drafting and FA selection or …………….?

I’m trying to get a handle on why there is so much negativity about the new DC of the Eagles that BA named (other than some Cards fans wanted Horton to be HC)

22. By icsomu on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    I can understand Horton leaving. But why hire somebody else who has such a horrendous record as a DC.

“The Eagles went just 1-9 with Bowles as defensive coordinator, giving up an average of 31.9 points per game.”

23. By Andreas on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Arians is a bad pick, he didn’t turn Colts into a better team – Andrew Luck did.
    Bevell had minor things to work with, he turned Wilson into a pro QB.

But hey, let’s give the man a shot – He can always get fired again.

We should try to get Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson (maybe even both?) in the draft. Trade Kevin Kolb to Kansas for 3rd round and 7th round draft pick in this years draft.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I am going to be hopeful but honestly, I’m not excited about this hiring.

Losing Ray Horton is a blow to the team. Regardless of the hire of Bolwes, Horton was a good DC.

What will interesting is to see what kind of defense Bowles runs. In philly, they had the wide 9’s in a 4-3 defense. lots of man coverage. He was with Parcels in Dallas and Miami, who ran a 3-4 defense. Parcels, like Billichek, like those OLBs to have size. Neither of our OLBs are big (Acho or Schofield). It will be interesting.

If we have to rebuild a defense to fit Bowles, while rebuilding an offense, this is going to take a couple of years folks.

I just dont know if Arians and Bowles are an upgrade over Whiz and Horton.
    I think we would have been in better shape had Bidwill just forced Whiz/Graves to draft a QB.

Well, lets see what Bruce will do. His comments I read was he wants to fix the old QBs first. AAAHHHGGG. Not again. Coach Arians, Kolb is not as tough and as big a playmaker as Big Ben and he sure as heck isn’t as talented as Andrew Luck. Please get excited about a QB in the draft please.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I’ll start by saying I would have hired Horton.

So on a completely different matter, but still is indirectly about Horton. I have heard a few grumblings that African American coaches are not getting the same opportunities as Caucasian coaches. Yes, I know about the Rooney rule.

There were 7 openings, yet no one hired an African American. Do you think this is an issue or just the way it played out?

Just wondering a media perspective.

26. By lobo on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

nice trio….tice OL
    sullivan WR
    mularkey OC

lets see what happens.

might lose some position coaches to cle …if so like to
    see them jump on babich from bears

27. By tyman on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Great job Mr. Bidwill !!!

Arians has the plan, stretch the field on offence.

28. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Are people seeing that Horton has gone to Cleveland to be the DC there? I WAS feeling pretty psyched about Arians until I saw that…

But it seemed likely that when the Cardinals were not going to give the HC job to Horton, he was probably gonna feel kinds snubbed. NFL.com reporting that there was a “heated exchange” between Keim and Horton when one informed the other that he was not going to be the HC here.

Not sure if things just got better or worse or neither. But things are what they are now.

29. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I think OL coach Castillo would be good for the Cards staff. As long as we could draft 1 or 2 more new Olineman.
    GO REDBIRDZ

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Minorities

I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the minorities if you ask them.

And it was eight openings.

31. By truths4all on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

So Arien’s former bosses has nice things to say about him. What a CONTRAST to the canned niceties that were luke-warmly thrown in Whisenhunts way when he left the Steelers.

32. By Sean on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I hope BA’s passion and emotion can convince the Bidwill’s to open up the wallet this off season and get us what we need to turn this nightmare around.

33. By Judy on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren,did i hear BA say that they were going to try to fix the old/young QB’s that we have first?Does that mean that he has some hope for Kolb,Skelton,and the other two that we have now.What do you think of that remark.

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Judy —

RE: QB

I think it’s one day after Arians was hired. I don’t think he is ruling out anything right now.

35. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

14 openings head coach and gm and NO African-Americans/Blacks that is some BS.

36. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

No Blacks got hired is what I meant.