Changing of the (defensive) guard

Posted by Darren Urban on January 18, 2013 – 4:17 pm

Bruce Arians had coached with Ray Horton in Pittsburgh. He called Horton a “dear friend” during his press conference Friday. But by then, it was also clear that the mass of reports leading up to the press conference that Horton would indeed be moving on from being Cardinals defensive coordinator. Arians deftly and succinctly handled the question of why he would want to do that — because the question everyone had was why move on from a coordinator who had had so much success?

It was, in the end, simple for Arians. It was about one direction in the locker room.

“I had talked with Michael (Bidwill) when I got here about that (Horton) situation and I didn’t feel like, at this point and time, that’s where I wanted to go,” Arians said. “We talked about it at length, and like I said, I’ve got all the respect in the world for Ray. We worked together in Pittsburgh. We were together with a Super Bowl team. He’s done a great job here. For my first time (as a head coach), this is the direction that I feel very strongly about.

“I wish him the best. Like I said, he’s going to be a head coach. It needed to be a football team that was directed by me. Anytime there’s carryover, we don’t want guys being able to go somewhere else to voice their opinion. I didn’t want to put Ray in that situation. That’s not fair to him. If a guy’s has got a gripe or a concern, come to me, and that’s just the way we’re going to do business.”

Horton didn’t last long on the market; Within an hour of the end of Arians’ press conference, the Browns — who interviewed Horton for their head coaching job but went with Rob Chudzinski instead — hired Horton as DC with a reportedly hefty four-year, $8 million contract. Arians’ new bosses, general manager Steve Keim and president Michael Bidwill, made clear they wanted to support their new coach.

“We talked it through and when you look at it, we have great confidence in what (Arians) has done, last year and through out his career,” Bidwill said. “Ray made some tremendous contributions to the Cardinals and we wish him well. We have tremendous talent on our defense and we expect our defense to continue to be very good.”

Said Keim, “Any time you hire a new head coach, you want to give him a chance to succeed. If he thinks his best opportunity is by making changes on his coaching staff, I think you have to support him.”

Arians didn’t name his new DC yet, but all signs point to Todd Bowles, who as of right now technically remains with the Eagles. Bowles played for Arians at Temple in the 1980s and later coached with Arians in Cleveland. Arians wouldn’t talk about Bowles as a potential Cardinals’ coach — yet — but it was clear Bowles makes sense as a candidate.

“He’s very dear to me, one of my captains at Temple, has a bunch of Super Bowl rings as a player, and is a good football coach,” Arians said.

Tags: , , , ,

83 Responses to “Changing of the (defensive) guard”

1. By CDJ on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

unfortunate, but it had to be done

2. By erik on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Not sure how to feel about this one. I’ll stick with optimistic, I guess.

3. By H G on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

It better be the talent and not the coach?

4. By ringlaterra on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I was pleased with Arians handling of this question. While I will miss Horton and Whisenhunt and see all they contributed to the team, my first reaction (of blasting the decision to hire Arians at Horton’s expense) was too short sighted. I noticed qualities in Arians that I never realized were missing from our coaching staff. Arians has a warm, personable quality in contrast to Whisenhunt’s strong, stoicism or Horton’s smarts and swagger. I’ve lived in AZ almost my entire life and was not able to stomach being a Cardinals fan until Whisenhunt changed the culture. It is hard for me to move on, but I’m getting that I should give Keim, Licht, Bidwill, etc. a little more credit for this hire. After seeing Arians speak a bit, I’m much more comfortable with this whole situation than I was from just knowing a bit about him, like what I’d heard or read. Who knows what’ll happen, but at least I don’t see this as a huge mistake anymore. I’m looking forward to what’s ahead.

5. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

All makes sense. Best of luck to Ray and congrats on the nice payday! Succeed in Cleveland and you’ll be a HC much sooner than later.

6. By AZcardsfan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Wish coach Horton the best, good luck on your new job.

7. By Ezz on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Trough all the crap that we’ve had to deal with trough the years, this is the first year i’ll be forced to say this. I’m embarrassed to be a Cardinals fan. We’re the most inept franchise in the National Football League.

8. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand what Arian’s meant when he said, “Anytime there’s carryover, we don’t want guys being able to go somewhere else to voice their opinion.” Was he talking about Ray or current players on the team and where would they be going. I don’t mean to sound naive, but I is their a more direct way of explaining what Arians was trying to say? Thanks.

9. By cardfanbirth88 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

sad hotron gone but seem like what got a real coach for old man he got fire just crazy see a older coach have more passion then are old hc lol

10. By Andy Kw on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Best of Luck to you Ray Horton at Cleveland. Make the Cleveland Browns a playoff team because I will be looking forward to the progress of the Browns. If the Browns become a dominant team on offense and defense, I will be extremely happy for you Ray. Thank you for the legacy you brought to this organization and we all wish you the best.

11. By EDijkstra on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

This is a very bad sign. He does not want someone on the staff who has done a very good job as coordinator, and has the managerial talent to be a head coach? Why not? He says “we don’t want guys going somewhere else to voice their opinion”. That is it? That is the explanation? Guys can always go to their position coach or coordinator, and probably even to Keim or Bidwill, I imagine. So what is different in that respect about Horton as defensive coordinator as opposed to someone else? That he is talented and respected, head coach material? In other words, that he would be a rival? Has Horton ever shown any signs of being insubordinate? Was he a problem for Whisenhunt?

Good coaches want the best people on their staff that they can find. They don’t fear them. On the face of it, this attitude disqualifies Arians as a head coach. I hope I am wrong.

12. By Same old Cardinals on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Why not get rid of the best coach thats been in Arizona as long as i can remember. Bowels gave up under 32 a game, should work here just fine. Now we will have a crap defensive scheme to go with our crap offense. At least the team will be in unity. This organization is a joke once again…

13. By ringlaterra on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I had a hard time with the news of Arians hiring yesterday. I was a big Whisenhunt fan and also a huge fan of Horton. After watching the press conference with Arians today and hearing his explanation of why Horton wasn’t his man I feel better about this situation. Certainly Horton’s scheme and style will be missed.

Arians seems to have a warmth that Whisenhunt or his staff did not have. He seems to be personable in a way that I imagine opens the door to him being successful connecting with players and mentoring players. Whisenhunt focused on scheme and technique all the time. He always mentioned correcting mistakes or working on technique. I never saw that as a weakness, but when a coach can really connect with people on a more personal level it might just lead to more of a flourishing of the player than technique work alone. This has likely been the key to Arians previous success with quarterbacks. I see the possibility that Keim, Licht, Bidwill, etc. were seeing things that I don’t see as an outsider. I thought they were being short sighted, but now I can believe in the possibility that they know what they were doing. It’s all too easy–as someone who has lived in Arizona for almost 30 years–to be super skeptical of anything the Cardinals do. I’m now looking forward to what may come. (Last night I was done being a Cards fan…)

For whatever all that is worth.

14. By Mark S on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

So we are trading one arrogant head coach for another and a top 10 coordinator for a 32nd ranked coordinator … Seems like good decisions being made by our poor mans Jerry Jones

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Carryover

He’s saying that he didn’t want the players going to Horton — with whom they had a previous relationship — with concerns/complaints and possibly fracturing the locker room. You don’t want half the team on “Team Ray” and half with him.

16. By icsomu on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    I can understand Horton leaving. But why hire somebody else who has such a horrendous record as a DC.
    “The Eagles went just 1-9 with Bowles as defensive coordinator, giving up an average of 31.9 points per game.”

17. By Steve W. on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

So sad to see Horton go, and it’s starting to sound as though the idea of his throwing a tantrum over losing the HC job to Arians might not be entirely true. If Arians came in with the mindset of changing out the defensive side of the coaching staff as well, then Horton was as good as gone the moment the Cards chose Arians.

A good choice? My gut reaction is ‘no’, but after thinking on Arians’ comments in the press conference, I find myself in total agreement with his philosophy. After all, when one corporation takes over another, upper management of the old company is usually given their walking papers while the new group brings in their own people. And as everyone knows, the NFL is, ultimately, a business. A situation with coaching staff consisting of the old guard and the new would be awkward at best, and crippling to the team at worst. I wish Horton all the luck in the world, and I hope we see him as a successful head coach (except when he plays the Cards!) in the years to come.

18. By Scuba steve on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals continue to go backwards from Kurt Warner. Congratulations.

19. By Bryan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

The only reason I’d say that Arians might prove worthwhile despite the loss of Horton is that the Colts had a terrible defense full of random unknowns, a rookie QB, and Arians as a 1st time HC…and he somehow got them to the playoffs.

My only concern is Bowles is by all accounts not a very good DC.

20. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Usually I’m on the “unicorns and butterflies” mantra on this site, but I strongly disagree on this hire and the release of Horton.
    Only time will tell, but I see more of a regression next season than if the past regime will still running the organization.
    Very disappointed in the direction the Cards are heading, IMO.

21. By jocards on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

I’ve seen reports that the league is going to augment the Rooney Rule in some way….Do you have any idea what they are planning to do? I mean short of saying that a team has to interview more than one minority candidate for open positions what more can be done? Is it a matter of including all coaching position openings in the rule?

22. By Donny on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I was like most people last night, I was extremely unhappy about letting Horton go.
    Today, I am starting to reconsider. Look back on the year and think about some of the lowest moments. After losing to the Jets, Dockett specifically said he would keep playing for his Teammates and his Defensive Coordinator. Adrian Wilson was disgruntled over getting benched, Peterson started to get Lax down the stretch. The Defense had a lot of swagger (like Horton) but it fell apart in certain situations this year (Hawks debacle, Rams found a way to score in both games, Tannehill all over us). This team needs a fresh start after a disappointing season. Horton may have found a way to be professional but why put him in a situation where a good portion of the defense probably thought he should be the HC and would have reminded him of that, especially if the Cards started to lose.
    In Bruce we trust.

23. By jocards on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Man, to read a lot of the posts here one would think that the coordinators/coaches are more responsible for what actually happens on the field than are the players. That just isn’t even close to being true IMO. Don’t get me wrong, a good coach can and does make a difference but it is always about the players and execution. Ray Horton is a good coach, he did a good job for the team but it isn’t as though he knows something about defense that other coaches don’t. Our 2012 defense was pretty good, looked especially good when compared to our offense….but it wasn’t great or dominant by any means. The defense had more playmakers than the offense that’s for sure. Overall the team was an abysmal 5-11 and had one of the most ineffective offenses I can ever recall watching….to me to bring in an offensive minded coach makes some sense.

24. By jocards on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Didn’t anybody else hear that Ray Horton threw a fit when he was informed that he would not be the head coach? I suspect that his unwillingness to embrace the decision is the real reason he is no longer going to be with the Cardinals, he didn’t want to stay under these circumstances and that is his call…I wouldn’t crucify Arians for saying he just didn’t want players going somewhere else with their concerns, ideas, etc….What was he supposed to say? “Ray Horton threw an absolute hissy fit about my being named head coach and he doesn’t want anything to do with this situation so I’ll need another defensive coordinator”….What is said to the media does not always accurately reflect every aspect of a situation.

25. By Cactus jeff on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Horton is gone because the roster has no OLBs of any value and DD will dominate in a 4-3. That being said, BA answered the question of Horton in professional way. He can’t be honest and say I have someone in mind that will be a better DC. Once again Seattle put up 58 against Horton’s defense.

26. By wonderingwhy on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

We needed to clean house. We needed to develop our own identity not a remake of the steelers. Horton will be missed but we need change, a complete change. Bruce needs a wheel barrel to carry his balls around. I am rooting for him, playoffs here we come.

27. By Drewcards on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Any possibility that the defense will switch to a 4-3?
    Thanks

28. By Chris R on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

If its Bowles it shows right there good ole BA is gonna be a mistake. The Eagles defense actually got worse with him in charge. They gave up points like candy.
    This is going to be the coaching version of not selecting Adrian Peterson.

29. By mike hadinski on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Darrdn

i call bs on this only B/C Mike made whiz KEEP CLANCY Pendergast and we went to super bowl so im not buying that….

30. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Darren. Got it.

31. By georgiebird on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Find it hard to see the support for Horton. After surprising teams the 1st four weeks of the season, our defense was just ordinary for the rest of the season. Teams either ran wild against the Cards or passed the ball for big yardage against us. Horton’s defense could never stop both the pass and run in the same game. And offenses, for the most part, sat on the ball against us.
    Horton is eight years younger than Arians so if Arians is an old guy, Horton is not a young guy.
    Can anyone tell me what young player Horton developed. And don’t give me #1 and #2 draft choices- these guys should come ready to play regardless of the coach.
    Horton’s use of the 3-4 ticked me off from the beginning because we never had the personnel to pull it off- and Horton didn’t have the knowledge to try anything else. Two words for Horton- “good riddance”.

32. By Terry E on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Bottom line is Horton wasn’t going to be happy after not getting the job. I wanted Horton and think he should have been selected but he wasn’t. Arians did exactly the right thing. Yoiu can’t have disention right out of the gate. Building the supporting cast he trusts is the right thing to do. He seems a no nonsense guy, I just hope he knows what he is doing. It will be interesting.

33. By Eric Y on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Just like that, Horton is gone. Damn. I’ll get excited if I see results. By the way, I have a weird feeling that Skelton stays on this roster. Just a crazy and random thought.

34. By mike hadinski on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

SINCE RAY IS GONE IT”S TIME 2 BRING BACK D.R.C 4 THE NICKLE PACKAGES JUST LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PETERSON AND D.R.C .

35. By cobra on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Should have waited another year for HC. Now the new HC doesn’t play well with the former DC. Is this kindergarten or what? Now, we change our defense. We may have another Eagle reject as DC. Not to mention, Horton probably did raise hell for not being the new HC. More BS. We will see. I hate to say it, I thought we were trying to not be the Chicago Cubs in the NFL.

36. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see Horton gone. Glad to see all of the coaches go. We need fresh blood. Although I thought Horton was ok as a DC and I wish him the best. His time in AZ was up and I am glad the new HC let him go. Let’s hope the defense takes pride in what they have accpomplished and can move forward with another DC and improve. Out defense was good but it was not great. Hopefully Arians can get a guy in hear that can make these guys great. I am a Fan all over again. Let’s go Cards !!!!! Looking at going from worst to first in 2013. Arians. Lead the way, they players will follow. Kolb and Fitz are going to have a great year and Housler is going to have a break out season. I even can see Early having a good year with the kind of offense Arians will bring.

37. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

We will now see how good of a coach Horton was. The Cards defensive players are better than Cleveland’s defensive players. It will be interesting to see how Horton handles a team with lesser talent than the Cards defense. He was supposedly fired by Kiem over an heated argument regarding him not being picked as head coach. This is per an article on Foxsports.com. I have no opinion on the upcoming season, but it is not off to a good start losing Horton.

38. By dstock21CardinalsWINRLOSE on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Hey all you upset whining “so called” Cardinal Fans,
    There are 31 other teams you can cheer for. You booed Kolb when he replaced injured Skelton then he won…..all of a sudden you were on the Kolb wagon!! You boo this decision now but when the team comes together and turns this around you’ll all be praising Bruce and Bidwill! The Cardinals have nearly been here long enough that we can actually have a true fan base, born and raised Arizonans or plain old die hard Cardinals fans. And not all the transplants from all over the country that have ties to their daddies teams. Of which bandwagon jump from team to team…..you know, which ever one is winning that is! You can either support your team or shut up! Your not part of the solution your part of the problem!!!!!!!!!
    SERIOUSLY

39. By ron on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

As a Temple Alumni, I am warming up to the direction the Cardinals are heading. After hearing Arians speak, i must say I am impressed with his leadership and straightforwardness.

I am upset Horton had to leave, but after hearing what Coach had to say it makes perfect sense.

40. By philly cards on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

9th grade my hs was across the street from temple practice field. We saw them walk on the turf as we walked home. Paul palmer was my hero. They didn’t win but it was ok.

He better win and beat the eagles too.

41. By Rio on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Horton was not so great and neither was the pass defense,

do you remember the 49ners Smith goiing 20 of 21 straight pass’s against us at home.

How many times was a receiver wide open when we failed to cover and another long touchdown for the other team. ( many)

Our defensive line gave up over 200 rushing more than once.

Horton can go play in Cleveland, he was not offered any Head Coaching jobs.

By the way our old OC Miller you didn’t see him get any interviews, what a

loser. and Wiz didn’t get any Head Coaching offers either.

42. By sarah on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I think Horton got the short end of the stick and was instrumental in turning around last season. Some glitches this season like Green Bay’s Crabtree breaking an 87 yard run but such is life. I wish him well and if he is looking for a HC position he should apply to Montreal , he would be a great fit and leverage to come back as as a HC. Good things happen to good people hopefully !

I expect we will get allot of Colt’s personnel, funny how when a new guy comes in he brings what he just left.

43. By Campbells on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Just because Philly had a 32nd ranked defense, doesn’t mean we will. Our players are better, and most have already extended contracts.
    The new DC will run the defense the way BA wants it ran, which will likely be quite different than Philly.
    If you watched the games, you know our defense had issues. Don’t automatically assume it’s going to get worse.
    In the past it felt like we managed all the games, keeping it close so we could win at the end. BA gives the impression, that we’re going to win by being aggressive on both sides of the ball. The Lombardi trophy goes to the team that takes it, not to the team that does the bare minimum to win each week.

44. By Credit Card on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Cardinals want Ad: Professional football team needs coaching and management positions to be filled immediately. Candidates will have modest experience in football. Highly qualified candidates will be bald, fat, and willing to start a the bottom.

45. By Chuck 1 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

EDijkstra,

“…Has Horton ever shown any signs of being insubordinate? Was he a problem for Whisenhunt?…”

My comment:

Duh!!!

Maybe not Whiz. But, didn’t we just learn yesterday that Horton had a “heated argument” with Keim?
    Insubordination, anyone?
    I can just imagine what he could have done in causing dissension in the locker room after getting passed over for the HC position.

46. By Procen on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Arians will hire his friend who is defensive coordinator of the Eagles. Now we will see Eagles crappy defense. You can’t win without a great defense just look what happened to Denver Broncos.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Rooney rule

No idea. Agree, I’m not sure how things can change.

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Drewcards —

RE: Scheme

Arians said the Cards will do both.

49. By cardfanforlife on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

OKAY I JUST THINK IT FUNNY HE HASNT EVEN COACHED US YET AN YOU ALL MAD CAUSE OF A DC LET PLAY WHAT IF REAL FAST WHAT IF HORTON GOES TOO THE BROWNS AN FAIL IT SEEM LIKE EVERY FAN IN HERE RIGHT NOW ACTING LIKE WE DONT HAVE TOP D PLAYERS ON ARE TEAM AN LETS SAY ARE NEW HEAD COACH TAKES TO A WINNING RECORED ALL YOU IN HERE CRY OVER HORTON WILL BE ON THE BAND WAGEON SAYING BEST COACH WE EVER HAD EVEN IF HE DOES FAIL AS TRUE FANS YOU GO FOR YOUR TEAM CAUSE THE LOVE OF THE GAME AND THE RED SEA MOST PEOPLE MIGHT TALK STUFF ABOUT ME BUT THE REAL FANS THAT PAINT THERE FACE AN BODYS AN BREAK THERE NECKS TOO SEE THE GAME WIN OR LOSE WILL HERE ME OUT BUT THANK YOU ALL THAT READ MY POST AN DARREN KEEP DOING YOUR THING

50. By vegas4u2012. on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Horton,just proved to the football world why theirs 32 teams that will not hire him as a HC.-Because he just is not yet ready!Mr.Bidwill/staff,stuck to their guns and hired the person that they felt would be the best fit.(regardless of outside pressure to do otherwise)A cancer only spreads unless you control it right away!Just because Ray was a very good DC.When his attitude was good toward the organization,does not mean that it will be,when it is not.As for the Rooney rule,for example:I’m Hispanic.But i would never vote for one person to be the president of this country based on their Nationality.(that would be idiotic!)-You support the person that you feel would be the best person to run the country!This also applys to buisness in the NFL.This rule seems to waste alot of the canidates/owners time.& Time is $ that could be well spent elsewhere.I Understand the reasoning behind the rule,but should be somehow simplified.-GO BIG RED!!!!!!!

51. By Rich on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Time to move Forward ! Maybe “we got a winner in town”!!

52. By Solox on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Let me get this timeline of a coaching search straight here:

1.) Cards want Mike Mccoy. They interview him.

2.). His team loses in the playoffs so hes open game.

3.) Cards offer him a second interview/ Chargers offer him a job. Mccoy lost.

4.) Cards interview Arians on the 17th and hire him the same day. Arians hired.

The question I’m asking is why did Mccoy (seeing as how all reports indicated he was the cards top candidate) need a second interview and Arians did not? Did the “Bidwills” suddenly realize “hey, maybe we should have hired Mccoy instead of asking him to another interview cause now we don’t have a coach. Lets forgo the second interview on this guy”

Its very possible had the ownership not botched the Mccoy deal, horton (one of only two coaches that did anything right last year) would still be around. Now what the cardinals have done is messed with a system that wasn’t broken. The defense was a pass rusher and another great corner away from being a top 10 defense. Now its anybody’s guess what happens with this bowels, who by the way does not have an impressive resume. After all how could he? Aside from last year after he replaced castillo in philly, this is his first time being hired as a full blown defensive coordinator in the NFL. But I regress.

Its also very possible everything will work, that bowels is a diamond in the rough and that Arians is as good a coach as the bidwills believe. But if you’ve been a cardinals fan for the last….since the beginning of their time in AZ, then you’d know things don’t usually work out for us. I fear this is another lost year. Id say the sellout record is in jeopardy but I’m sure fans of other teams wont mind filling the stands.

53. By dynasty1717 on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

The way this played out is a very BAD sign. If Horton was so upset about the situation, was not going to be a professional in and out of the locker room, and was not going to respect and respond to having Arians as head coach, then fine – he needed to go. However, this sounds like a guy who has never been a head coach, and therefore, doesn’t have the confidence to appropriately manage personnel. I see this all the time in business. A new CEO gets hired and immediately wants to replace all of his VPs so that he can be assured of “loyalty”, instead of addressing the talent he has inherited with the position and make changes as necessary. Someone with confidence in their ability to be a head coach would not just clean house solely to buy loyalty. If Arians would just bring in someone decent, it may work out. If he brings in Bowles and Bowles produces a defense like he did with the Eagles, then Arians has just screwed himself, the team, and mostly the fans. I hope I’m wrong.

54. By jetstreamgreen81 on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I think it is a great hire and it is good to get an offensive mind in here to clean up the mess that is the offense. D was good but how many times did they give up the backbreaking big play in the passing game that cost us the game( both Rams games, Green Bay game, etc. ), or how many times could they not stop the other teams run game. New Coach, new coordinators. I like the fact that Arians is a take charge type of coach and it is good to get a fresh start all around. Not saying that Horton wasn’t good, but ready for a change and excited to see how it all unfolds. Lets actaully do something in free agency this offseason and excited to see how the draft unfolds accordingly. Definately need a Guard either in free agency or really would to draft Warmack out of Alabama. Potter and Massie got better as the season went along. Really wouldn’t mind cutting Levi loose and let him reunite with the Whis in SD. If OL Jones from Bama is there in 2nd round wouldn’ t mind him as well as he can play multiple positions on the line. We need to fix this team from the line out. Who knows what Kolb or the QB will look like with an actual oline in front of them. Arians may actually get us a running game that Whis forgot about in his time here. Ready to see how it shakes out. Go Cards!

55. By canadian redbird on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Great hire Cards!!!!!!!!!! This guy has got passion, and embraces the current Card situation. Love the comment regarding the offensive scheme ” well empty the cartridge in every game “. Quite a change from OC Miller and Whiz. Defensively, his comment on playing both the 4 – 3 and 3 -4 makes one think that the scheme will be decided on player personnel, opposition and game situation. Quite the change from the the 3- 4 no matter what. GO CARDS !!!!!!!

56. By Louisville Card on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

How do you think the new coaching staff will affect Dockett and Wilson both seemed to be on the way out with Horton and Whiz. Do you expect now that Horton is gone for Wilson and Dockett to be back next year?

57. By Dre on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Jim Johnson all over again

58. By Sean on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Todd Bowles hasn’t been very successful in Philly. I’m really not excited to here his name being mentioned as a new DC. He couldn’t do squat with a so called “dream team”. Kevin Greene would be a good hire. Is anyone talking about him.

59. By thebreakneck on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Calm down people look at it this way we might have had Horton for one more year but he is going to be a head coach someone where very soon and we needed a brilliant offensive mind to fix our problems we are still loaded with young talent on the D and if the DC he hires is even slightly intelligent we should be fine.

60. By Lifetime Fan on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

#cardfarnforlife – maybe it will work out but for right now this is a an obvious Epic Fail

61. By Brett n Co. on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Hey everyone just KCCO!!!!!!

62. By Cards Season Ticket Holder on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Good Hire with Head Coach Arians,
    (we needed a QB and Offensive GURU at the helm). The Cards offense was “last” in the league. He “had to let Horton go” because he was disgruntled and would be a distraction all year.
    That said, Bowles is NOT a good coach.
    Eagles had a lot of talent and got got worse with Bowles coaching them. Duh, that’s why he was FIRED.
    Go Cards

63. By eric c on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

too be expected with a new head- coach…he has the right to pick his staff.with all due respect,this team finished 5-11….not expected that many asst. coaches would be retained.now let’s hope we can flip that record next season.

64. By Scott H on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Ok…I won’t deny understanding that when you bring in a guy to be your HC, you have to support him and let him put the people around him that HE feels most comfortable with.

That said, I’m still less than thrilled. I DO like the Arians hiring. But at the same time, I find myself envying the Cleveland Browns because THEY ended up with BOTH of the coordinators that I wanted HERE!!!

We’ll see how it all works out. But I think I share the general opinion of many when I say that it is a shame that acquiring a HC came at the cost of losing
    one of the best DC’s in the league and what appears to be a rising star with future HC potential. Right now, I do NOT feel good about that.

But…onward.

65. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Wilson/Dockett

Good question. Things might have changed. But I think the entire roster is going to be looked at.

66. By Corgon on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I’m not sure that I like this decision. Time will tell.
    The only upside could be if DD and Wilson can stay with the team. Release them and we’ll have more holes in the roster what we can handle.
    I hope he’ll be this definite with the QBs as well.

67. By AzDesertRat1953 on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Bruce Arians as HC, why not? He did not get fired from his last job, so that is a start in a new direction.

Bowles was fired yes. But why? Maybe the HC of the Eagles Not doing what the OC wanted to do, might have had something to do with that, Maybe Not.

Ray Horton: Good DC? I do not know. But the on again off again D we had all year was Not Good. Yes the D shut some teams down, about Five (5) times as I remember, I could be Wrong.
    One thing is for sure, Mr. Horton might need some Anger Management before being a HC in the NFL. Did he Really try to get the Team on his side?

Don’t know about the rest of ya, but if he did, IMHO, That Is Not a Head Coach!

68. By Tyler on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Way to go. Fire the only good thing we had going. That makes a ton of sense. Good luck trying to fix the offense when we have no defense. Arians, you suck and you better earn my trust back or I will give up on the cardinals and become a panthers fan.

69. By Andy M on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I was impressed by the statement Arians made. Very classy. I also think it is the only decision he could have made given Horton’s limited term and disenchantment. Arians wants to build “his” team and Horton wants to build his career. More power to Horton who did accomplish a lot. Comments about the erosion of the defense throughout the past year don’t consider that the offense kept the defense on the field most of the time. It is difficult to have a statistically impressive defense when a team has the worst offense in the league. Nonetheless, Arians and the Cardinals will make the best available choice for a DC. Remember, the defense has very strong personnel and their production will not fall off the table next year regardless of whomever the DC might be.

70. By Tony Garcia on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Really, I doubt Arias had anything to do with Horton leaving. I think Keim is one of the most conceeded people ever and he arrogantly fired him when Horton called him out for lying to him about his consideration for the head coach job. He’s not a head coach for the Browns now anyway he’s still DC.

Next season will be a disaster. Keim will run the team so far down the hole we will be lucky to win a single game. This team is at risk for fan alienation and bancrupcy.

71. By Tony Garcia on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Awaiting moderation? You must think you are the government. What a pantload.

72. By Roland on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

ringlaterra you sound like a band wagon fan, WIN OR LOSE GO CARDS

73. By dieselbomb on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

Horton did good while he was here. But please, he wasn’t golden.

Good with one aspect of the D ( Passing game ), but the Run D kept creeping downward. Everyone has had ultimate praise for his effect on the team. When you think how the Cards D performed before Horton got here, then everyone applauds the noticeable change for the better after RH arrived – the difference was pretty stark. A closer look, however, shows the Run D never elevating nearly as much as the Pass D. The 2012 season showed the Cards D still had room to improve; almost all of the need for that improvement is centered on Defending the Run.

I think people might’ve been a bit more understanding of RHorton’s behavior had it been the case that the Cardinals were a bona fide Shut-down D who can stop the Run and and throttle the Pass. But that wasn’t the case; and his behavior was horrible

Does anyone know if Ray H was “Promised” the Head Coaching job? Or did Ray H simply think it ought to have been? Ray will have to prove that someone legally promised him that no matter what he (Ray) was going to be Head Coach. Otherwise, what the He[[ is he thinking? You just don’t go and tell the owner of a franchise that “I’m tired of waiting now, you better make ME the Head Coach.” Those of you who reminded us that although he interviewed for other teams, he wasn’t chosen by any of those teams either.

It appears Horton was a big baby disguised as an NFL Defensive Coordinator.

74. By Half impressed on Jan 19, 2013 | Reply

I really dont care whos coaching I want to know who will be doing talent evaluation and draft homework. The cards have sucked the entire time Rod Graves worked to destroy this team, sad to see Wiz go but firing graves is the biggest step towards having an actual good team year in and year out. The Cards have have some very good talent but never any depth and never Any Lines. Time to build a team from the ground up, properly.

75. By clssylssy on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

For all the big talk from Mr. Bidwill,it seems that all the “change” will be in the names on the door. Fact is, Arians has successed Whiz at positions more than once in the past so, I don’t see any innovative change there. In addition to the fact that Arians has never been a HC but has only stepped in for Chuck Pagano to “substitue” and keep in place the program Pagnano had in place with a #2 draft choice; we don’t have anything even close to what he was working with in Manning, Rothesberger, or Luck. The Colts minus Manning were dead last to get Luck, and since the Cards have no money to go after the major talents, I wonder if we are going to have to endure a losing season like the Colts did; without a defense. It seems we are going to be back to square one, set the way-back machine to the days before the Whisenhunt years. The Eagles were a hot mess last year and so the only “change” I see is in the “take away” column by giving Eagles loser DC Boyles, Horton’s job and bringing aboard other Colts castoffs. Arians is ready for retirement and the reality is that Arizona was the last to hire a HC and didn’t have a lot to choose from. I see the hire of Arians as a bandaide token hire to serve an immediate need of having someone to help scout talent and bide time to find a REAL HC. I’m sure Arians is lockstep with the front office out of gratitude for getting a HC gig before social security kicks in and has no allusions about this being anything more than a temporary interim situations…more smoke and mirrors from the front office to keep the gullible filling the seats at U of Phoenix stadium. What some fans don’s seem to get is that “cleaning house” is a step back and rebuilding a team costs money that the Cardinals have historically been reluctant to spend and do not have at the present time (perhaps if we did we would have been a more appealing place for a HC with youth and creds) and takes time…something that the Cards have also not be patient about. Players are loyal to their coach and rather than wanting to get rid of the competition in Horton and REAL quality HC would have been able to find a common ground and work together rather than being short-sighted, insecure and tyrannical. Once again the Cards are making headlines as the laughing stock of the NFL…way to go Mr. Bidwill/Steve Keim!

76. By Norm on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

Darren. With the Bowles hire, will they switch the D to a 4-3 or keep the 3-4?

77. By KKfan on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

For those not too fond of the possiblity of Todd Bowles becomming the Cards new DC, , lets remember that he was the victim of the Jim Washburn wide9 ( just as Castillo was) as the defensive backfield guys were. Washburn didn’t care how the rest of the defense faired. So long as he got to play the wide 9 line alignment to appease his favorite lineman Jason Babin Like Juan he was at the mercy of Washburn. And as we saw neither man faired well at all !

At least here , ( if he is who Arians goes with) he’ll get the opportunity to have a voice in who they keep ,and get in F/A /draft than what he had as the DB coach with the Eagles. It should have been Washburn who got the axe instead of Juan.Though he too did eventuall. But not before the split was made in the locker room. Which is probably the very thing that Arians wanted to avoid by not retaining Horton..

I listened to Todd’s pc’s and he was always very knowledgable, about defensive schemes and, how fundamentally sound players had to be to play effectively.
    Just letting you know what I saw in Bowels…during his short time with the Eagles.
    Good luck with your new coaches.

78. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

Norm —

RE: Scheme

79. By William Barry on Jan 20, 2013 | Reply

I really like Bruce Arians as HC…he wants accountability and he really respects this organization…I like his comment about the Ray Horton situation

We will go ahead with our defense whoever that may be. GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!

P.S. Dick Bowman, the St.Louis Football Cardinal number one draft choice in 1964, passed away this weekend.

80. By Cert 33 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

While Bruce Arians will probably be a good HC in the long term (and is a far better choice than Reid or L. Smith), the loss of Ray Horton as our DC means that the one great strength the Cards had will not carry over into 2013. I believe we are now looking at probably two last place, 4-5 win seasons before Arians will “right the course”. Coming into the job, all Arians would have had to rebuild was the offense but for some reason he has chosen to rebuild the entire team.

81. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

This is a horrible move. Bowles is a terrible DC. Last year when he took over for Castillo who I thought was in a no-win situation as DC formally an O-Line coach and I thought maybe a change from him to Bowles would be good, Bowles did alot worse than Castillo. Eagles D looked soft last year and it look like most of the time it didn’t want to play. You go from the best DC imo to the worst arguably.#Real Smart Arizona Not hiring Horton

82. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

They gave up a ton of points. It was so embarrassing.

2. Jan 21, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Cards add Moore, Goodwin, Bowles to staff