Cards add Moore, Goodwin, Bowles to staff

Posted by Darren Urban on January 21, 2013 – 3:06 pm

The Cardinals officially announced Monday the additions of the three main new coaches to Bruce Arians’ staff: offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Tom Moore, the assistant head coach/offense. The addition of Bowles and Goodwin I’ve covered before. Hopefully we’ll hear from Arians soon about his choice. While I understand there are still a lot of questions over going from Ray Horton to Bowles, that too was explained in simple terms by Arians. Now we see how this plays out.

But the addition of Moore is a big deal. Moore had stepped away from the game for health reasons — he did serve as a consultant for the Titans for five games at the end of the 2012 season and consulted for the Jets in 2011 — but he wanted to get back into coaching this year. The Cardinals benefit. Moore was the guru who brought along a young Peyton Manning in Indianapolis. That, along with Arians himself, give the Cardinals a good base with whatever young quarterback they choose to bring along. Between the two of them (below, talking before a Colts-Titans game last season), that’s a good start for any young quarterback.

Now, would the quarterback be Kevin Kolb? Maybe. It would seem very likely a quarterback is drafted this year. Sitting here right now, I don’t see it in the first round and seventh overall, but second round, that makes sense. Jason Cole noted Arians was at the Senior Bowl practice of the North team Monday, a team that features quarterbacks Mike Glennon of North Carolina State, Ryan Nassib of Syracuse and Zac Dysert of Miami (Ohio.)

As for the rest of the staff, I believe most of the decisions — if not all — have been made but the announcements will filter out as the logistics work out.

MooreAriansBlog

Tags: , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Cards add Moore, Goodwin, Bowles to staff”

1. By Hammy on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Very excited about the new coaching staff here in the Valley of the Sun! All of these men are true leaders in my opinion and already seem to be well put together. The only thing that will tell is time. As long as we win ball games and make the playoffs then we as fans will be happy.

2. By Richard on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Darren, were these coaches in demand with any other teams? Do you think we missed out on better candidates because we were last to fill our head coaching position?
    My worry is that these coaches are being rated on what they did with the talent of Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger. We don’t have anyone near that talented currently on the roster and it’s a long shot that we’ll get someone that good with a weak QB draft class. Bowles may not have gotten a fair shake in Philly, but I can’t see him doing better than Ray Horton.
    Trying to be positive, but it seems like we got a very similar head coach to Whisenhunt and a downgrade at DC. I don’t think the OC could get much worse so I’ll assume that is a win. I’ll hope that I’m missing something with the HC and DC.

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

It would be nice to start fresh at QB too a young guy that this staff can develop and have around for 8-10 years. Of course, wouldn’t every team like to have that.

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

OK Darren, time to get working on the next “episode” of Cardinals Underground.
    ;)

5. By jocards on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Tom Moore has a very good reputation and this seems to be an astute hire by our new head coach. I like it.

6. By Dynosoar on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

A new era for the Cardinals. It’s the Arians’ era.

“In Arians we trust” just doesn’t quite work, we need to work on this.

Would Peyton come here now? Ha Ha.

7. By Christo on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Gold people. We are going to be gold.

8. By Safety Guy on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Have you seen the stats on this guy?
    DJ Fluker: (Alabama OT)
    Height: 6’7
    Weight: 355
    Arm Length: 36 3/8
    Hand Size: 10 1/4
    Wing Span: 87

What a Beast. Like having Campbell on the O-line

9. By Duane Spencer on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

The addition of Tom Moore has me just about giddy with anticipation…..this is a big and very good thing

10. By johnnybluenose on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

i don’t know about tom moore. i know he has been hired to coach, not play, but 74 seems kind of old. interesting that he coached a young payton manning. by any chance is payton related to peyton manning?

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

johnny —

RE: Payton

I know better than that. Still had yesterday’s Fitz Walter Payton award info on the brain.

12. By jestrada on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

ARIAS???? you wanna win get a QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!………..simple as that..

13. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

New coaching staff went to Dirt’s first birthday, I’m told.

14. By joe holst on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

1 year too late. if they had these guys last year we would have peyton manning.. bowles scares me hewas awful last year.

15. By Andy Kw on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I thought Tom Pratt was hired as well, so was he hired?

16. By johnnybluenose on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

hey darren. i know. aren’t you glad i pay attention? but, who is fitzwalter payton? it’s okay. you don’t have to say.

17. By djjackson81 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Cool Arians was scouting the Senior bowl game himself definantly doing his evaluation of those QB’s and more to bad Moore wasn’t with him.

18. By John Powers on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Reality check. The Cards are the team that gave away Anquan Bolton and Dominic Rogers-Cromartie and got Kevin Kolb in the deal. Probably the worst trade in the history of the game. Whisonhut was a decent coach. He got us to our first ond only Super Bowl. We don’t have a coaching problem. WE HAVE AN OWNERSHIP PROBLEM.

19. By djjackson81 on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

@ safety guy I already know DJ Fluker is a monster and should go to AZ in the second round early and be a Tackle we could start as an upgrade. However I like Eric Fisher as our first pick or even Warmack first round.
    Can you see this at 7 picking Warmack.
    Then 2 nd round picking up Fluker. That would be a great draft for AZ
    I just hope AZ goes OLine first then QB or RB

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Other coaches

As I said, nothing else has been officially announced.

21. By David L on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

The more I try to, the more I just can’t agree on Bowles. Our offense crushed his defense last year…Although Eagles lost some talent on that end. I hope he can make use of what we have.

22. By D-Dogg on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

John Powers,

Dude. Seriously, don’t comment unless you know what you are talking about. Boldin (not Bolton) was not part of the Kolb trade. Q was traded for picks, that eventually became Kerry Rhodes.

DRC (the D is for Dominique, not Dominic and the R is for Rodgers) for Kolb as worst trade in the history of the game? Mike Ditka and Ricky Williams have something to say about that.

The ownership hired Whis, who got us to the Super Bowl. Then he put up an 18-30 record over three seasons, including 6, 7 and 9 game losing streaks and played QB carousel with the guys HE chose. So shocking he got fired.

Our ownership made a bold and necessary move. They acted as any other team in the NFL would, which is a great sign.

23. By donttakelosses on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Listened (don’t really know why) to the pundits on 1060am for a few moments today. They Hate Keim, Moore and Arians. “Cards are stupid, Bidwill’s a joke” yada yada yada… unreal.

Arians has put together a stellar staff, they can succeed where the last group failed… to get the offense on fire…

24. By Safety Guy on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

@djjackson81
    Warmack yes in 1st round good, just need the beef up front to open holes for our small RBs and don’t think Fluker will last to 2nd

25. By Credit Card on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Arians to his coaches: We better get this right, because our phony balony jobs are at stake.

Mel Brooks must be a Cardinal at heart.

I’m afraid next year will make the spanish inquistion look like a picnic. Older worn-out coaches who coached top talent, now trying to bring that knowledge to QB’s that are off the charts horrible.

I think they need to focus upon the offensive line this next year. We still need a QB that is elusive, great speed, and tough. Given the talent of our OL I still think (do not laugh) but Tebow having the body of a tight-end could be a good fit for our poroius OL. Even if Tebow can’t read a defense, or throw the ball w/o a wobble — he has the ability to buy time, scramble, take numerious hits, and gives defensive cordinators fits due to the randomness of his play. A traditional QB with poor skills (as previously demonstrated) is a disaster.

26. By wnycardfan on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

I’ll say this, granted, we haven’t played any games etc… but each day i hear/see what Coach Arians does and I’m feeling a little bit better and more hopeful for if not next season, then seasons to come. The hire of Moore seems to me a good one. Not caring about his age, its his mind and ability to coach. Granted these guys had some super QB’s, none the less, look at what a good coach did for alex smith in SF.
    SO, Im feeling more positive. Interested in continuing to see what he does as time goes on.

27. By georgiebird on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

In 2011-Tom Moore served as a consultant for the Jets. Tom Moore has a good reputation on the offense side- but neither the Jets or Titans retained his services- not good.

28. By mal on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Whoa — both knees replaced? Is that a result from Tom Moore playing football?

29. By lurker on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

It was drc and a second for kolb.

30. By joeyk on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

no one seems to like Bowles… I don’t blame em. Bowles D was terrible last year.THE BIDWELLS ALWAYS FIND A WAY TO MESS UP. Whisenhunt should never of been fired, we didnt have a coaching problem, WE HAVE AN OWNERSHIP PROBLEM.

31. By Jason on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

He wasn’t the d coordinator when we played the Eagles Juan Castillo was. He didn’t take over until after the Eagles bye week.

32. By sqhead on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Todd Bowles was not the DC when we beat Philly this year. I like Fluker, but he is an RTO. Joeckel or Fischer would be fantastic picks at #7. Just because you don’t know the names of some of these coaches doesn’t mean they can’t coach. There is a lot about the NFL we as fans don’t know about. It isn’t even February yet and some of you have already written off next season, ridiculous!

33. By aaron on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Bowles wasn’t the DC yet. He inherited a mess and wasn’t running his system. Do any of you have Google?

34. By Bill L on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

Hopefully Arians knows that Eric Fisher is wearing number 79 for the North. 8th might be a bit(3-8 places) high…….but if he can play L Tackle in the NFL at a high level……it is what they desperately need.

With #1, above, in place, it may not be too bad to take a QB at 2. But, it tells me they will not be in any Alex Smith race………they don’t think Kolb is the guy……and it’s starting to sound like the Same OL’ Cards. If your GUY is there in the 2nd, that is one thing………but to take whatever is leftover is another, ENTIRELY. Especially since there will probably be a Pro-Bowl level C, G, or C/G avaiable in the 2nd……….so the Cards may be bailing on Smith, Dissing Kolb, Passing on Needed OL talent ……….. to take the leftovers ……OH, and put him on a Poster and a Billboard……….Same OL’, Same OL’??????? Bidwills Strike……AGAIN?

35. By vegas4u2012. on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

@ Credit Card-Tebow?I Don’t know what your smoking,but please drop the pipe man!Moores wisdom is good to help Arians groom a new oc & qb.Kolb will be here at least one more year.We won 4 games w/ him(2-against teams that made the playoffs)w/a weak o-line.These old school guys understand that the the war is won in the trenches & therefore will improve on that area.Skelton & Linley Are 3rd.stringers in the Nfl. at best,so they will be replaced through the draft/free agency.(maybe one of them will stick around?)DRC.back if he wants to start hitting somebody?I like Flemming better.Resign Johnson/Rhodes at safety.Wilson as a situational player only.He’s a liability against the pass!Ryan williams(since college) cannot stay healthy?Replace w/new prospect through draft/free agency.(The nfc. west will be the best next year.) GO BIG RED!!!!!

36. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

While trying to be open minded about this…. The whole thing just doesn’t leave me with a good feeling….. Maybe, it is the loss of Horton that causes this feeling. We will see what happens with the Cards draft, re-signing FA’s, fixing the OL and the QB situation. There are too many intangibles to be jumping up and down about the upcoming season at this point.

Does anyone one else think that Whiz had anything to do with McCoy going to SD instead of the Cards since he ended up there too…???

37. By aaron on Jan 21, 2013 | Reply

I never thought I would say this, but the way this staff is coming together I can’t help but think Barkley is an option. If you really go watch him play and not just listen to the negative and then look at the approach Moore took with Peyton and Arians took witg Luck, he might not be all that bad. Especially considering he’d have Fitzgerald and Floyd to throw to.

38. By G. Witt on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

So what if TM is 74. How old is the DC for the steelers??? There’s no substitute for experience.

39. By Marcelof on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Indeed Cards should go for Oline before QB, but IF Geno Smith is available by Arizona’s turn… we cannot pass on him, of course he’s not as good as Luck or RGIII, but what if we fail at QB again this year, next year’s class hasn’t got a good one either ( unless a good prospect pops up this season ).

OL imo is the most needed move to be made right now (FA or draft), but an NFL caliber QB is what a good oline cannot create.

40. By canadian redbird on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Philosophy on Coach hires

First of all, I like the Arians hire. What I am concerned about is what appears to be the pattern of hiring coordinators that are close friends vs. researching the best possible candidate available. I guess it works well if the team is winning however we have experienced what has happened if the team isn’t winning and it becomes difficult to part ways ala Whiz and Grimm. I’m sure that part of any head coaching interview is the question of who the prospective HC has in mind for Coordinators is key. What is your take; friends or take time and research the best available much like the Cards process in hiring the HC.. I do respect the fact that his hires could be the best available; as well on the surface, whats your take on Bruce’s hires?

41. By CORMAC on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Guess we are going OLD SCHOOL!!!! I LIKE IT!. Dont get me wrong, I was a strong WHIZ supporter and whish we could have kept him, but sprinkle some OLD SPICE on this team, and it may make them shine.

42. By D on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you Darren, AZ won’t go QB at 7 and will go in Round 2 for a QB, but they will have to be careful because there will be a run on QB’s in Round 2.

If they stay at #7 pick they will have the option of taking one of the following names that will be available

Either Werner or Mingo at OLB
    E. Fisher OT
    C. Warmack OG

All would improve this team.

43. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

A couple things;

I heard Coach Arians’ interview with Mike Mayock at the senior bowl practice. Maybe I am being picky or maybe Coach has to say this, but he said we have talented QBs that he and his staff will coach up. Unfortunately, there was a good coach who just left who knows offense. Coach Arians, if you can get something out of these QBs, that Whiz could not, we should give you the coach of the year right now. I mean Coach Whiz got a Superbowl as OC and then lead the Cards to a Superbowl. I don’t know how much coaching up is left.

First day of senior bowl practice was interesting. Mike Mayock was saying what I’ve been saying for a couple months. He believes there will be 3-4 QBs drafted in the first round. What was his most insightful comment ? He pointed out that several QBs have top 10 talent but then at times show 5th round play. Over the next couple months, you will see those QBs, who have it rise to the first round and separate from those who don’t.

I have been banging the drum for a first round QB for a while. The top QBs in my opinion are Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones and Zac Dysart. It is good to have the guy I respect most when it comes to the draft confirming what I have been saying all along.

44. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Assistants

Until I get a chance to see how they work and interact with the players, I don’t know what they will be like.

45. By D on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

This draft is deep with D lineman, wonder if it’s time to see what can be gained from offering Dockett out there in a trade..a 4th rounder???
    His age vs his cap number is not good

46. By Chuck 1 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

Where can I hear Coach Arians’ interview with Mike Mayock?

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Arians/Mayock

We are trying to get the clip from the NFL to post on the site.

48. By jocards on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I caught the Arians clip from the senior bowl with Mayock, Burmeister and Davis I think it was…..I liked what I heard.

49. By Andy Kw on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I only see potential in QB Kevin Kolb and John Skelton in or current roster. I love Skelton’s zip pass but his inaccuracy is killer which is why he needs to go. Kevin Kolb has decent accuracy and has true potential to be the Starting QB for 5-6 years for the Arizona Cardinals. Ryan Lindley was meant to be a 3rd backup QB. When Wide Receivers are so wide open, he throws the ball and gives it to a DB running back for a Touchdown. We need to start fresh. In order to boost our run game, we should definitely draft Marcus Lattimore. If you pass on Matt Barkley or Geno Smith, that is fine just as long as you find a good QB in free agency. If this team is truly not going to draft a QB in the first round, then draft Marcus Lattimore in the first round. If Barkley is still available in the 2nd round, take him, if not then draft QB Zack Dysert. He is athletic, has a decent arm, and is capable of being an Elite QB.
    I thought my final 2013 draft prediction was done but one last change needs to be made:
    1.) RB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina)/ OG Chance Warmack (Alabama)
    2.) QB Zack Dysert (Miami (OH))/ QB Matt Barkley (USC)
    3.) LB Michael Mauti (Penn St.)/ OG Barrett Jones (Alabama)/OT Ricky Wagner
    4.) WR Rodney Smith (Florida St.)/ DT Kawann Shorts (Purdue)
    5.) DB Melvin White (Louisiana-Lafayette)/ SS Zeke Motta (Notre Dame)
    6.) OG Theo Goins (Central Florida)/ DE Devin Taylor (South Carolina)
    7.) TE D.C. Jefferson (Rutgers)/ FB Taimi Tutogi (Arizona)

(This draft is a combination of strong offensive players and defensive needs to perfect our defense)
    -This draft would mean a battle between Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams for the #2 running back spot. This team will try to keep LaRod Stephens Howling so this team might keep 4 RBs this upcoming year.
    -For QB Kevin Kolb will stay but John Skelton, Lindley, and Hoyer will need to go. This will mean Zack Dysert will be in a competition with Kevin Kolb for the #1 QB spot.
    If Zack Dysert is drafted second round, I will be screaming for joy because this team might finally find a capable Starting QB.

50. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Starting to regain a little faith. Still a little leery about Bowles, but adding Moore was a home run. For those who think his only claim to fame is Peyton Manning, take time to look up his work with Scott Mitchell back in 95.

51. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren and Chuck 1

Heard it on NFL network. Coach Arians was saying we have some talented guys at QB and we need to coach them up. He did go on to say that if that wasn’t going to work, he would look in another direction.

I think as a coach you are going to say that and if he drafts a QB, he will say they are going to compete with the guys we have.

I know I am being picky about it, but Whiz wasn’t a defensive guy trying to coach offense. Coach Whiz has a very nice resume and he just didn’t have talent at QB (whoevers fault that was). It will be amazing if Coach Arians can coach up these guys.

Of course, seeing bad QBing for 17 of the 22 years, I just want to see the cards, with a new coach, give him a young QB to mold for the next 10-15 years. I think there are guys in this draft, that can be that guy.

52. By Eazy E on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I hope Kolb isn’t. Don’t make a mistake for the third year in a row. They are still the Arizona Cardinals with the Bidwills running the team still.

53. By Darren Urban on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy/Chuck 1 —

RE: Arians on NFL Net

Here it is:

54. By johnnybluenose on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

i would not be looking to draft a quarterback this year. draft offensive linemen and pass rushers early, deep backs/safeties and running backs late. give kolb as much work as possible in training camp. give him proper protection and he should be okay. release skelton. see what lindley and hoyer can do as back-ups. hoyer must have some potential. if that does not work then we should have a decent pick in the 2014 draft and hopefully that will be a good year to draft a quarterback. it’s such a risky proposition. for every luck, RG3 and wilson there is a lineart, quinn or mccoy. early picks that don’t work out are killers.

55. By Brian on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW-

Lattimore is not going in the top 10. He is probably the most talented RB in the draft, but the guy just had a MAJOR knee injury that followed another major leg injury the year before(broken leg I believe). We already have Williams and Wells(for now) on the roster who have both had trouble staying healthy. I don’t think we can afford to pass on other areas of greater need in order to take that chance he might come back at full strength.

56. By Card Fan Gary on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I know I will probably get killed on these boards but I would like to see what Matt Moore could do with these receivers (assumng we get the running game going). it seems like he has done decent in Carolina and Miami when given a chance. I still would like to see the Cards draft a guy for long term, but I think he could work out in the mean time.

57. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,

“He pointed out that several QBs have top 10 talent but then at times show 5th round play. Over the next couple months, you will see those QBs, who have it rise to the first round and separate from those who don’t.”

To me, that defines the mindset that teams get into when they pick the wrong guy. If they’re showing 5th round play they don’t belong in the first round. Bill Parcells said it best, when a player shows you who he is, you better believe him. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson showed us who they were in college, yet slipped through the first round and second round, respectively, not because teams didn’t like what they saw on tape, but more on offensive formations/combine issues. No offense, but a guy like Landry Jones, while he looks the part, has had ample time to show us he’s really a first round player but hasn’t gotten there. Pick the guy who can consistently play, not the one who balances flashes of brilliance with substandard performances. I will say this for him, at least he’d be worth a gamble (not one I’d make, but can see the argument) in comparison to what we’ve drafted recently. I’d hope we’ve seen our fill of big, strong armed QB’s that can’t hit the broad side of a barn.

58. By eric c on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

excellent hires…really excited about the addition of Tom Moore.Coach Arians said during his press conference he was a go for broke kinda guy….getting Tom Moore reflects that.He is not gonna sit back and wait…he is going for it all,now.Really excited about these moves.Arians wants to win….now.

59. By David on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

i just read recently from some news site or whatever that Arians brought in another one of the Coaches from the Colts, James Bettcher the special assistant to the head coach Pagano to be the I think Inside Linebackers coach, you know how things get once someone is hired or talked to from another team it just goes nuts, but just wondering if you had heard, thanks

60. By Cert 33 on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

They had better be looking at Offenive Linemen and dominant starting RB’s at the Senior Bowl, because there are no NFL caliber starting QB’s available for picks in ANY round. If the offensive line is not completely rebuilt, nothing is going to change from the previous 3 years. As a note to a prior post in this thread, I would take Kevin Kolb on our roster over DRC any day. DRC was one of the main culprits that choked up in the final 1:30 of the super bowl, costing many Cardinal players their rings and has been alluded to as “toast” many times in Philly for his poor coverage skills.