• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Coaching staff roundup, as of now

Posted by Darren Urban on January 24, 2013 – 11:11 am

The Cardinals still have not officially announced their full coaching staff, past the the three top assistants. Usually the team likes to wait until everything is finalized with everyone before putting out the full list, as opposed to putting it all out piecemeal. But that doesn’t mean word hasn’t gotten out here and there as coaches are at the Senior Bowl or talk to hometown newspapers or the like. So, from that, here are the names circulating in various spots:

– Wide receivers: Darryl Drake, long-time receivers coach for the Bears;

– Running back: Todd McNair, former USC running backs coach who played in the NFL and for Arians at Temple;

– Tight ends: Rick Christophel, who had been head coach at Austin Peay;

– Defensive line: Brentson Buckner, a former 12-year defensive lineman in the NFL in his first NFL job (he interned with the Steelers from 2010 to 2012, and Arians was there a couple of those years);

– Linebackers: Mike Caldwell, who had been on the Eagles’ staff with new DC Todd Bowles and played for the Cardinals in 1997;

– Pass rush: Tom Pratt, who has been working with potential draftees at IMG in recent years;

– Defensive backs: Nick Rapone, who had been DC at the University of Deleware and coached with Arians at Temple;

– Special teams: Amos Jones, who worked with Arians in Pittsburgh;

– Offensive quality control: Kevin Garver, formerly of Alabama.

There is also holdover coach Freddie Kitchens, who was coaching tight ends but now is expected to coach quarterbacks. Kitchens played quarterback at Alabama and was a senior starter there when Arians was offensive coordinator in 1997. There are other spots still open, too, obviously, as we wait for official word.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

90 Responses to “Coaching staff roundup, as of now”

1. By Ben on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

What do you know about Amos…I saw the name but don’t know much about him.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Jones

Not much.

3. By Dynosoar on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Well, the joke has always been that we’re Steelers West, now we’ll be Temple West. He He.

Gald to see the staff filling out. Also excited to hear the reporting from Darren and Josh regarding Arians’ reaching out to the players (Docket and others). A good coach always has a reationship with the players, knows their strengths/weaknesses, likes/dislikes and other information that makes them more than an X or an O.

The players appear to be responding, hopefully this is deeper than just initial change and it translates into a great team.

I’m pleased with what I see and hear thus far and have confidence it’ll only get better. I’m feeling a changing of the guard in the NFC West.

Go Cardinals!

4. By azqfan on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Darren, any word on a possible speacial teams coach? I am really disappointed to hear Kevin Spencer left, I though our special teams were always one of the best units in the league.

5. By azjam on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Any names on who will be the offensive line coach. That is one of the more critical needs for the Cards.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

azqfan –

RE: ST

It’s in the above post.

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

azjam –

RE: OL coach

Nothing yet. At least not that I have heard.

8. By Safety Guy on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Darren-
    Have you had a chance to listen to the interview Ray Horton gave on AZ Sports 620.

Good stuff!

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Safety –

RE: Horton

I did listen to it, and tweeted out a couple of quotes.

10. By Coach Kevin on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Looks like a great staff. Now if we can land some great offensive linemen early and Eddie Lacy from Bama, we should be in great shape. Quarterbacks will slide far in this draft and we could get a good one in round four to throw into the mix. But I’m happy with this group of coaches.

11. By Andy Kw on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

If this team trades Patrick Peterson, I will go CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

12. By Kevin S on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Too bad the Browns aren’t on the schedule this year… that would be fun to go up against a Ray Horton defense.

13. By Chuck 1 on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw,

Who in the world is talking about trading Peterson???

14. By Andy Kw on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Chunk 1,

First of all, look at what happened to Dominique Rodgers Cromartie; he was entering his 4th year as a Cardinal before he was traded to the Eagles, I am afraid he might and I don’t want that to happen now that there are rumors of Revis and whatnot.

15. By Ben on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

@Andy Kw

He is going to be in the third year of his rookie deal, totally different player skill/talent wise the DRC. Will not be traded, there is no logic in it.

16. By Brian on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw,

First of all, those rumors about Revis have started because the Jets are in cap trouble, something like $19 million over for next year. They are also a team that based on their roster need to make some moves to even think of competing w/ New England. We have an elite corner for 2 more years under his rookie contract before we worry about that…relax bud, he’s not going anywhere.

17. By mrpeary3189 on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Peterson isn’t going anywhere.

18. By Wmarin on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

Well what if we could get a first round pick along with Revis? We could have two top ten picks then. I think there could be situations where it would be worth it.

19. By Robyn Christensen on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

What happened to Ryan Slowik???? He was Ray Horton right hand man and a damn good linebacker coach. Why is he not on this list of coaches

20. By David on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

well it looks like Pagano’s assistant, Bettcher will heading to Arizona as a Linebackers Coach he’s already cleaned out his office

21. By ored on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

always will be rumors with the jets,either win there or grab headlines.wish horton well,but glad to unleash the potential in some of our guys,a hybrid 34 would fatten the ol play book.good the coaching staff is coming together,think i read somewhere management said “don’t screw it up”lol,if we can adapt some of hortons stuff,should be good to go.really feeling it’s gonna be good,an off season of strength for potter ans some time to absorb this last season,time to acclimate with the lft.guard,and maybe we even upgrade there,liked the way the rookie from washington looked 1st glance,would love to apply redskins run blocking scheme,shanahan always has a productive ground game.like the rb from florida,gillisle i think,also really like the full back from oklahoma,would be nice to have quality depth,seems like we were injured and thin everywhere last year,can’t wait for a qb to be chosen and watch the coaches go to work,would be cool to get the duke qb in fa,i think he was a local kid,bring him home and coach him up,he had a terrific game against clemson,let the mocks begin in earnest..

22. By Scharf on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

@Andy Kw,

DRC had no where near the amount of skills Peterson has. While DRC was good at intercepting the ball and getting scores, he couldn’t cover worth a darn.

23. By Scharf on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

@Andy Kw,

Not to mention, DRC couldn’t tackle.

24. By Jerrytown on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I heard the Bears are seeking trade offers for Charles Tillman and and the Texans want to get rid of Jonathan Joseph too. It looks like every team in the NFL is looking to trade their top CB as a result of the Jets desires to shop Revis.

25. By chad on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

That’s crazy we would not trade Peterson!!!!!!!!!!!

Well if it was for Brady or Manning maybe. But I don’t see it happening…

I am feeling good about this coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. I think there is improvement from what we had. On the D side of the ball, yet to be seen…

26. By johnnybluenose on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

dynosoar. an un-named source has told me that Temple grad bill cosby will soon be signed as the new team comedian and there is a strong possiblity that free agent Fat Albert may be signed as our left tackle. cosby will assume the role recently vacated by the aptly named russ grimm, who was well known for his funny and jovial one liners . go ahead, name one if you can. you may recall that fat albert almost came here last year to replace fat deuce. as they say. “better late than never”. stay tuned. don’t adjust your set.

27. By Dynosoar on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw,

Peterson and Revis could be quite intriguing. I remember Fitzgerald being in a position of leaving if we didn’t have a QB and he said he’d like Kolb. if I had to choose between DRC and Laryy, I’d make the same trade and get Kolb in here. Especially knowing we had Peterson in the draft to replace DRC.

Don’t misunderstand, I’d love DRC on our team, but I’ve followed him in Philly and, well, there’s not much to follow. He’s been less effective there. As much as I like your rumor of Revis and think having him opposite Peterson, I think I’d like DRC opposite him more.

Peterson’s not going anywhere unless he wants to and I don’t think he does. At least, he doesn’t talk like it.

28. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

As the coaching staff rounds out and the senior bowl week comes to an end, here are a few impressions I have.

I think this hybrid defense will need big changes to flip back and forth from a 4-3 to 3-4. I noticed how Billicheck did it in NE and it is coming together up there. So here are my opinions.

Love Sean Porter as a SOLB. He may have the best cover skills at LB in the draft and can blitz off the edge. I like MLB Riddick. He flashed at the senior bowl practices. I like both Demonte Moore and Alex Okafer and the guy who played lights out at the senior bowl, even beating Fisher, was Donte Jones at DE. And 2 guys I love at CB are Trufant and Poyer. At DT, guys like Kewann Short or Brandon Williams really caught my eye this week.

So, with the current changes at coaching, here is my updated draft.

At #7, If Fisher or Joeckel are there I would look to trade down with the Chargers, Bears or Cowboys. The ideal spot would be SD. Rivers needs help and Miller watched John Fox draft Tackles. (get #11 and a second)
    At #11, I’m again looking to deal. Not sure who is moving up this early, but if I could land in the 20′s with another two, great.
    In the 20′s – I’m moving again- If I cant, I’m landing my QB. I am a big Landry Jones fan along with Tyler Wilson. Jones continues to make all the throws, the kid asked for the playbook weeks in advance (sounds like a Peyton move) and had a great interview with Mayock and company.

Going into the second round with 3 picks, I’m looking to land Okafer or Jones at DE/OLB. I really like Trufant, but he may be gone so either Trufant or Poyer at CB. With the 3rd second rounder, I would land the huge guard in Larry Warford.

Going into the 3rd, I really like Sean Porter. He is a poor mans Von Miller. No, he is not Von Miller, but has some of the same skills at coming off the edge. But really excels in coverage.

4th round, Riddick at MLB or Brandon Williams at DT. I think either guy would help since we have a 32 yr old Dockett and and aging Lenon.

I said this many times before and I still believe it although I may be wrong. But the thought of having two tough physical corners like Fleming and either Trufant or Poyer and allowing Rhodes to play in the box while sticking Peterson in center field as a safety ala Ed Reed would make our secondary so good. Peterson can easily be taken out of a game by putting a second or 3rd wr out wide and putting the #1 in the slot, out of the backfield, in a bunch, or motion. With Peterson’s speed and ability to read the ball in the air in front of him, it would be very tough to throw deep, in the same way Ed Reed has made it tough on teams.

As for our line, I’m OK with the 3 tackles and adding Warford would upgrade one guard spot. I believe most of the protection issues fell on the QB and Batiste. The line played better over the last 8 games and with Levi coming back and Warford to go with a new QB, we will be good.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Robyn –

RE: Slowik

I have heard Ryan could be back, but as of now, that’s all it has been, no reports anywhere and again, no official word.

30. By Norm on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy.
    I’m pretty sure you & I weren’t watching the same Cardinals games this past season. From reading your mock draft, i would think your’re a fan of another NFC West team.

31. By bluepitt on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

“Ray Horton says he would have delivered Norv Turner had he been named Cardinals head coach”
    What a class less guy! When asked questions of what could have been, leaders of men know what situation they are in, know that some fans are really upset Horton didn’t get the HC job and most of all the fact he is gone. (Not me but some fans feel this way) Then what does Horton do:?
    A.) Say- that he doesn’t believe in what could have been and is happy for his time in AZ.
    B.) Say- I don’t believe in living in the past im excited we have turner here in Cleveland
    C.) Throw fuel on a burning fire here in AZ about what he could have done!

Yup C it was!!!

Like I said arrogant, and he wonders why he was passed on by 8 other teams! He has a lot of EGO to check and some growing up to do! The Corn weave or role, is most definitely a right but not very business like for a Head coach!!!! Before you say it, it is no different than a “White coach” wearing a Mohawk” and I’m of Mixed race and the furthest from racism. You will find some on one side saying a corn role is fine and other on the other side saying a Mohawk is fine, but we all know the truth, both are not business like. He way underachieved here in AZ! He had: Rhodes, Wilson, Campbell, Dokkett, D. Wilson, Peterson, Washington, O’Brian & Lennon That’s 9 top 10 talents on D in the NFC if not the NFL! We got burnt in several games! like I said underachieved!

Ray, cut the hair, stop bragging about your self, humble up, grow up, being a HC is not a right it is an honor! Once you figure this out you will be a great HC canadate!

PS: Just some info: So I don’t start a Race War in here, My Mother is of African Decent ( We don’t like to say African American because we are American and are not entitled to any thing but the rights of every other American White, Black, Brown or other wise) My mothers side of the family’s opinion was discussed last week when Michael Silver of Yahoo sports did an article about how un fair it was that no “Black head coaches were crowned”. My Moms side are of the same mind that there is no raciest agenda in the NFL they are going to hire whome ever they feel can win, in Business there is a look you adhere to even in this day and age. You wouldn’t go to a School and teach children in a Evening gown, same as if you are going out to a high end Stake house you don’t show up in sweats, It is just part of the deal. In this day and age you have people trying to change what has been the “Norm” and made this country great 2 decades ago
    If Dungey were out there he would have been the first to get a job..

Sorry Darren I just didn’t want a Race war, but do feel that how you represent your self has a lot to do with the HC job, but didn’t want it to sound like I didn’t like him because of his choice in hair stiles or his color, and unfortunately he is Of african decent so people will jump on that and call me of all people raciest. .lol

32. By Dynosoar on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose,

I’m going to be laughing all day! I think it was all the funny one liners I remembered from russ. You remember the one when he said… Oh wait, that was someone else. You remember, oh someone else. And then when he said, oh yeah, someone else.

I remember Cosby saying “and then I saw a hole. I had to blink my eyes and look again cause I’d never seen a hole playing for Temple. Then I heard the coach yell, well don’t just stand there, run the ball.”

Peterson and Revis would be the new dynamic duo. Then we could say things like “Holy one handed catch” or “Holy pick six” or “Holy pounding of the niners” or “Holy way to run the ball.” I like thinking about these two in the same secondary.

33. By Patrick Eagan on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Can’t wait to see if this new plan works. Go Cardinals!

34. By joe67 on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Bluepitt,
    You seem pretty darn level headed. Nice post. And I too thought Horton was a little overrated. Time will tell.

35. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Norm,

Do you mean the other two that draft really well?

Is it the fact that I want to draft a QB like The rams did in ’10, niners did in ’11 and seahawks did in ’12? You know, the 3 teams in front of us.

Or it has to be my unpopular choice of believing in the 3 tackles we have, two being rookies, and believing they played well down the stretch and will develop further next year.

Besides Matt Kahil, I would challenge you to find two rookie tackles who played better the last 8 games. You have to remember we had horrible QB play all year, I mean the worst I have ever seen. Teams stacked the box to take away the run. Watching it live,you could see no one beyond 8-10 yards. We had RBs hurt every week. I also would challenge you to watch were sacks came from in those last 8 games. Many times it was a stunt inside or just a guard missing. Look at the last game of the season against the niners. The sacks didn’t come off the edge, Look at the first ram game with Batiste then go to the second ram game. The tackles played excellent against those good pass rushers in game two. Look at GB where Mathews did nothing.

Every rookie needs time to develop. it was a crime that we drafted so poorly in the past that our rookies were thrown into the fire. But overall, I think they finished strong. Sometimes we get caught up in the fact a sack is the olines fault. It starts with a protection call, our QBs were bad and our center was out. Then you have TEs and RBs who read and pick up free blitzers. You also have a QB who can read the defense and know where the ball should go. Our backs blocked poorly, King had an off year and again, I’ve never seen worst QBing.

I also say a offense needs a defense to get 3 and outs. Since we are switching to a hybrid 3-4/4-3, I really think we need to address those gaping holes that it will create. If this team doesn’t draft some defensive talent, we could be bad on both sides of the ball.

Not sure why I would be the other teams fan since I have been a season ticket fan since 1991.

36. By dieselbomb on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar -

Revis= Excellent talent; but Revis also= Injuries.

BluePitt -

Agreed on all comments. Thumbs-Up !

37. By D on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy

I don’t see a team wanting to move up in the top 10 in this draft. I would love for AZ to get additional picks because of the many holes to fill, but I just don’t see it. If BA thinks he can improve Kolb, then that would eliminate a QB at 7. Then you are looking at Jockel and Fisher. If both are gone, then the decision would be the best Dlineman on the board vs Warmack. Will be interesting.
    If either Jockel or Fisher are available no way they would pass them up thinking Levi would be a better option at Left T. Levi would be moved to Right side and Massie would either have to learn the LG spot or be a backup

38. By Chuck 1 on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

BluePitt,

Nice to read a post from a mixed (African) background tell it like it should be.
    I never did agree with The Rooney Rule. And, now there is speculation that the NFL might try to strengthen it!?!?!?
    Let the best person be chosen for ANY job.

39. By D on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

If a D lineman is chosen at 7, I could see the following.

Brown, Potter, Sendlien, Colledge Massie.

40. By Chad on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Darren, there is a “Pass Rush” coach?

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Chad –

RE: Coaches

That is what is being reported. It wouldn’t be unprecedented.

42. By ored on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

D and the draft guy

the only times i can think of when moving draft positioning worked like that was when RG3 or someone of that caliber was involved,most likely if the other team does’nt think they are getting over on whomever,they just keep what they have and try not disrupt their drafting plan.but i do agree with most your picks,like Landry and the db’s,the kentucky guard and the UCLA de would work,also like the Stanford lb,lines up both inside or outside,and can’t wait to see what gem in the rough we come up with,we need to pull a rabbit out of the hat just like washington did with their late round running back,nothing against you beanie,but we could’ve done better with a 1st rounder,i know it was’nt all your fault,but in your profession,results are what counts.

43. By ored on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

i know the falcons draft move and the washingtonmove were good,but is anybody else feeling it’s time for another Dallal/Vikings or the Ditka running back trade just to shake things up a bit.so many teams are on 5 yr.plans that are stuck on the elevator,could’nt do any worse to take a big chance,even if blows up on their face,a few more years and they’refresh with a different outlook,at least the fans get to see 1st hand a new dynamic instead the same ol 5- 8 wins.

44. By Campbells on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

The article is about coaches.
    Most of these posts pertain to free agency, and the draft.
    We have a lot of good players. Not going to shake-up the entire team. We don’t have to cut key players to make cap space.
    We need capable, innovative coaches here, so our players can match-up to every team we face.

45. By Campbells on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Care to do an article regarding players that fell out of favor with KW?
    League has many good stories of players resurrecting their careers.

46. By Billy on Jan 25, 2013 | Reply

Darren will you ask BA when you get a chance how important is it to him to draft a mobile QB due to the recent success of the two in our division, RG3 and Cam. Thanks.

47. By bluepitt on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

@joe67,
    Thank You!
    @dieselbomb
    Thank You!
    @Chuck 1
    I was hearing the same thing, I actually sent Yahoo a E-Mail condemning Silvers Post ( here it is if you want to feel your IQ get sucked out of your head:) http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl–hirings-of-marc-trestman–chip-kelly-follow-nfl-teams–same-old-predictable-pattern-233327458.html
    I personally wouldn’t want a job or a chance at a Job if it were for any other reason than I was good at what I do… If they make it any more strict then Im checking out the AFL and CFL when it happens! I droped Verison when I couldnt find a single bilbord in English, I was with them for like 8 years. lol

48. By shannon robinson on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy : Thanks for kicking off the new season – it’s a big help now to know some guys to look at. thumbs up.

49. By Louisville Card on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

@john the draft guy

I agree with you our tackles played well down the stretch, but I have to agree with D in that noone is trading up for the 7th pick this year. With that being said, your observation about the interior line being the problem is absolutely correct. So they have to take Warmack with the 7th he’s a stud that will instantly improve the line in the run and passing game.

I’m not as sold on Wilson as you are I’ve seen to many Petrino guys look great in college but stink in the pro’s. Brohm is a perfect example and looked a lot better than Wilson did. He’s selling insurance now… I agree Jones is a good choice but 7 is to high for him and I think they would have to trade back into the first to get him and I’m not sure they will pull the trigger on that trade. This will definitely be an interesting draft as they could go so many different ways…

50. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

D

If you like Joeckel and Fisher, why wouldn’t other teams?
    Of course teams would trade up to get the top tackle.

Besides the tackles, we have one guy who is heads and shoulders the best OLB for a 3-4 in Jarvis Jones.

Teams will trade up

51. By Andy Kw on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

This team has many defensive and offensive weapons:
    For Offense, the players we need to keep and remain for the 2013 season:

-QB Kevin Kolb, FB Anthony Sherman, RB Beanie Wells, WR Larry Fitzgerald, WR Andre Roberts, WR Michael Floyd, WR LaRon Byrd, TE Rob Housler, TE Jeff King, C Lyle Sendlein, OG Daryn Colledge, OG Adam Snyder, OG Senio Kelemete, OT Levi Brown, OT Bobby Massie, OT Nate Potter.

Questionable returns for offense:
    -QB John Skelton (#3) RB LaRod Stephens-Howling, RB Ryan Williams, RB William Powell, WR Early Doucet, TE Jim Dray.

Releases need to be made for offense:
    -QB Ryan Lindley, QB Brian Hoyer, RB Alfonso Smith, WR Kerry Taylor, TE Kory Sperry, G/C Mike Gibson, OT Pat McQuistan, OG Rich Ohrnberger, C Scott Wedige.

52. By Andy Kw on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Defensive players that will remain for 2013 season:
    -DE Calais Campbell, DT Darnell Dockett, NT Dan Williams, DT David Carter, LB Daryl Washington, LB Sam Acho, LB O’Brien Schofield, CB Patrick Peterson, CB William Gay, CB Jamell Fleming, FS Kerry Rhodes, SS Adrian Wilson, S Justin Bethel.

Questionable returns for defense:
    -S Rashad Johnson, LB Paris Lenon, DT Nick Eason, LB Quentin Groves, LB Reggie Walker

Releases that need to be made:
    -LB Zach Nash, LB Stewart Bradley, S James Sanders, DE Vonnie Holliday, CB Michael Adams, DE Ronald Talley, CB Greg Toler

ST keeps:
    -K Jay Feely, P Dave Zastudil, LS Mike Leach.

OFFENSIVE RELEASE THAT NEEDS TO BE MADE:
    -OT D’ANTHONY BATISTE

53. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Ored,

Let me throw out a diamond in the rough for you at RB. You know, one of those guys that slips to the 6th or 7th.

Knile Davis out of Arkansas. Two years ago, he tore up the SEC for 1400 yrds and 7 TDs. Last year broke his ankle and was out. But this year, he wasn’t good. Could it be the ankle wasn’t a 100%? Could it be that Petrino left and the offense was a mess. I don’t know.

But from what I heard, he will impress scouts with his 6′ 230 frame and his 4.3 40 time. A late round chance he gets back to his old form. Think Darren McFadden in the 6th round.

54. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Louisville Card,

I agree with you about Petrino and certain QBs being system guys. Ryan Mallot came out 2 years ago and was a high 3rd rounder mainly because of his off the field stuff and he has settled in nicely behind Brady and could be Billichecks future guy.

From what I heard, Tyler Wilson is a much better prospect than Mallot was. I have flip flopped between Jones and Wilson mainly because they each have different strengths. But they both are smart, good arms, competitive and tough.

It would be nice to have a guy like that here in AZ.

But I do have to ask you why you think no one will trade up? There are two elite tackles in the draft and several teams in need of one including SD. Also, Jarvis Jones and Demonte Moore are special players. But provided we can’t move down, the only problem with Womack is, guard is the deepest position in this draft. You can get a guy like Warford, who could start day one, late in the second or early 3rd.

55. By Coach Kevin on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Great comments by John the draft guy and Andy as well as others. Trust me, one of those two top tackles will fall to the Cardinals. And I hope it’s Eric Fisher. I also hope they keep Kolb and Hoyer, then draft another young QB in round four. There are two athletic quarterbacks that need some work, but would be great picks in round 4. E.J. Manuel and Matt Scott. Manuel would develop very well under Arian’s and Moore. Matt Scott not only is athletic, but he has a quick release that reminds me of Dan Marino. With a little coaching, this kid could be the steal of the draft. He is my poor mans RG3.

56. By Andy Kw on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any chance we could take a chance on Aaron Curry?

57. By Louisville Card on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

@ John the draft guy

You make good point’s but I wouldn’t take Wilson for the same reason I wouldn’t take a Florida State QB. There has never been a good FSU qb and there has never been a good Petrino qb. Mallet’s never played a regular seadon snap so you can’t say he’s a winner yet. You Really can’t take him with the 7th pick to much risk. Iif he was the pick in the second or third maybe but not at 7.

You also make good points about the guard’s in the draft. So to answer your question why won’t anyone trade up? I think all the players you mentioned will be gone before we pick except for Fisher. Leaving SD thinking if they don’t trade they will still get fisher. The cards are the only team ahead of them that would pick tackle and they don’t really need one. They need a qb and a guard…Leaveing me thinking they will have choice of qb at 7 so will you take Geno or Landry? Since you can get your guard in the second but not your choice of qb.

58. By Darren Urban on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW –

RE: Curry

No idea.

59. By Skiptim on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Last night, I had a dream that you were fired from this website, and that you were making a few wrap-up blog posts, then lost your administrative abilities and had to post as guest like me. Then you talked about some crazy type of fantasy football you played. And your name changed after you were fired. I’m glad it was only a dream. Please don’t leave me.

60. By Billy on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

61. By Billy on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

We should draft (QB) EJ Manuel. Darren help get it done by the power of suggestion.

62. By jason on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

First, I’d lke to start by saying it is WAY to early to get worked up about potential draft picks or any sort of mock draft. There is still 3 months until the draft and free agency and the combine will certainly change the landscape of draft positions. However, I do think it is fun to talk about so I will give my two cents. I agree that our tackles did play much better down the stretch, but it’s not as if they were lights out. Massie played extremely well only surrendering one sack the final 9 games and Potter proved to be a great value pick in the 7th round but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t upgrade the position. My thoughts are that if one of the top 2 tackles are available then we will/should select them. There are 3 positions that are considered premier postions: Quarterback, Left Tackle and pass rushers. How did I come up with that? I follwed the money…of the 15 highest paid players only 2 (Larry Fitzgerald & Vincent Jackson…..VINCENT JACKSON!!!!) didn’t play one of those positions. So if our pick comes and we have a premier position player, a position of need and a draft grade that fits…it seems like a no brainer. The only way I don’t see us taking one of the tackles is if we have a top ten grade on a QB that is available at 7. We had a top ten defense last year and while it wasn’t a perfect defense our talent level on that side of the ball is superior to our talent level on the offensive side. There are maybe 3 guys who can come in a play LT in this draft while there are 8-10 guys at QB who have similar potential but also holes in their games. I just think you have to trust your board and scouts and don’t reach on a player.

63. By Mark in Chandler on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Re Amos
    I know it is a little late but it was asked who Amos was. He was the special teacm coach for the steelers. He worked with Arians for 5 years. Here is a article from Piit post-gazette with some more detail if anyone is interested.

64. By Bill L on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Alex Smith will be interesting……..Matt Flynn will be interesting……..but, Kevin Kolb is MOST interesting.

Cards offer LESS money….. or be released?……roster bonus deadline is in March I believe..

Kolb already got a 10 Million dollar signing bonus, as I understand it……he was injured, sacked and harrassed behind the Worst O-line in football, with no guarantee it will be better in 2013……his old coach, that appreciated him, is with a team that desperately needs a QB and that could have one of ,if not the best O-line(anchored by Albert and Joeckel at Tackles) in the L……..plus an outstanding running game.

Take the surer lesser money offered by AZ, get beat up some more, and retire young……..or, gamble that KC can’t get Alex(or likes you better)……take Cassell Money and have a chance to play for a title……….

Worth a few phone calls…..by old mutual friends, of course…….find out about Reid/Alex and Reid/Geno……..before making a decision.

65. By cardsalltheway on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

No on D. Revis, we don’t need another guy returning after major knee surgery. Don’t people ever learn? Imagine having Ryan Williams, Greg Toler, Darrelle Revis, with injury prone Beanie Wells and Kevin Kolb on our team. Sheeesh!

66. By cardsalltheway on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,
    Your Knile Davis(RB-Arkansas) sounds like an injury history clone of Ryan Williams in that he had one good college year and then followed it with a bad or average year at best. Why don’t we draft Knile Davis in the 2nd round?

67. By Coach Kevin on Jan 26, 2013 | Reply

Forget about a guard. Levi will be moved to guard. Once we get the left tackle in round one, we are going hard for the pass rusher in round two. Okafor or Jones. You can take that to the bank. Third round has to be linebacker.

Our QB is coming in round 4. This QB class is weak and will slide. Kiper said he did not believe any QB will be taken in round one. I think he may be right. The only QB with a first round grade is Geno, and even he is a reach if he’s taken in the top ten picks. There is too much blue chip talent on defense and offensive line in this draft that teams simply will not pass up for these weak QB’s.

Every way I look at this draft for the Cardinals, I see OT, DE and LB in the first three rounds. I would bet money that Datone Jones will be a Cardinal next year. And I know Fisher or Joeckel will be on the roster as well as the first pick. These two are no brainers at picks #7 and #38.

The only thing that could upset this scenario is someone wanting to trade up into #7 spot and the cards moving down. If that happens, then the Cardinals take the #3 Tackle Lane Johnson and get the extra picks. No matter how the dominoes fall, the Cards MUST take an elite Left Tackle to protect whoever is plying QB. Those top three have the footwork and knee bend required to protect the backside.

Lot’s of scenario’s. But it looks good for the Cardinals no matter how the chips fall.

68. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

I’m all in with Geno Smith as long as Arians is, that means he must adjust to him. If you draft him 1st and then tell everyone we’ll have a QB competition then I say NO on G. Smith. Will Arians adjust for him? No he won’t, so I say go Defensive since the 1st round will see mostly defensive players chosen. 2nd and 3rd rounds must pick Offensive Linemen. 4th/5th/6th Defense, 7th = RB. Of course Free Agency or a 1st round trade would change the above.
    1) Chiefs ~ Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M – 2) Jaguars ~ Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State – 3) Raiders ~ Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah – 4) Eagles ~ Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama -5 ) Lions ~ Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M – 6) Browns ~ Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia – 7) Cardinals ~ Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia – 8) Bills ~ Matt Barkley, QB, Southern Cal – 9) Jets ~ Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU – 10) Titans ~ Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

69. By Andy Kw on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

If Antonio Cromartie is on the trading block, I say we trade William Gay and a 7th Round Draft pick. William Gay has been consistent and inconsistent throughout the year. Antonio Cromartie would be a nice pickup.

70. By Cactusjeff on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Dwight Freeney is a free agent…hmmm very interesting

71. By Andy Kw on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you think that a lot of our players will have reduced contracts this season such as Kevin Kolb, Larry Fitzgerald, Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson, Adam Snyder, Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, and Calais Campbell since our Cap space is so low?

-If all of those players have reduced contracts, how will our cap space end up?

-If Stewart Bradley gets cut which is a huge possibility, how much money will this organization save?

72. By Brian on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw,

I have to ask, why would Ryan Williams be questionable to come back? He’s not expensive and has a ton of potential. Yes he has gotten hurt but with his contract there is no reason to give up on him. That is something to decide when his contract is up. If you had said Beanie, then I would agree.

73. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Contracts

Unless we know what they would do to their contracts, it is impossible to know what savings it would create. As for Bradley, I believe he still has $3M of bonus money that would be counted against the cap if cut. Not sure sitting here at home on a Sunday.

74. By D on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Well John the Draft Guy, our guy Jones stunk it up in Mobile. I could not see AZ passing up E. J Manuel in the second round if he is there. He would be the best option in BA’s offense in Round 2 and to groom a year behind Kolb. He can throw deep, can run and needs a year to be molded with help at footwork and reading defenses. If Jockel is drafted by KC and Fisher by Philly, then I see AZ taking the best Dlineman available, maybe a E Ansah at DE so they can play a 4-3. Then take E.J in Round 2 and a G in round 3–maybe a Warford if there for sure or a Justin Pugh.

75. By Andy Kw on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Billy -

RE: Draft

First of all, RG3 and Cam Newton are in the same conference but not in the same division. We should look for a mobile quarterback but also an accurate one. I like Geno Smith since he somewhat fits the mold as a mobile and decent accurate QB but I feel this team will be looking for a dynamic pocket passer in the draft. If Geno Smith comes up, then why not but if not, then I prefer more of Zac Dysert or Mike Glennon.

76. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

if we drafted ryan williams in the 7th round, would you be upset? A late round chance on Kniles Davis could be a homerun or bust, but lets face it, the 6th and 7th rounds are when you take those chances.

D;

I don’t agree that Landry Jones played poorly in Mobile. I look at several passes where they were off in their timing or the WR was stayed, when Jones thought he was going in. This is the type of QB Jones is. Much like Aikman, he throws timing routes to spots. That takes time. He showed his strong arm throwing deep outs on a line.

EJ Manual looked just like his games. He made some plays with his feet, some with his arm and some you shake your head at. If this was 2008 and we had Warner for the next two years, EJ would be a very nice pick up. Could he be this years Russel Wilson? Who knows. But a 3rd round pick would land him.

Andy KW;

Why on earth would the Jets make that trade? Would you if you were the Jets GM? Think about it, Gay and a 7th for Cromartie??

Louisville Cards;

to be honest, I was all for Geno early in the season. But then, as the teams got tougher, Geno played worse. That is a huge concern. Landry Jones will not fit in everyones offense, so we will have to see What Arians does. But as a pure pocket passer, throwing timing routes, I like Jones.
    I saw Jones come compete in Mobile and asked for the playbook 2 weeks in advance. Geno decided not to compete. That bothers me. I would have to look at a lot more tape and do some interviews before answering that, but right now, I like Jones more.

Some of you think I am crazy liking Jones. I get that. I pushed hard in 2011 for Ponder as a late one (I never thought he would go #12). Some may think Ponder isn’t good while others (like myself) thinks they need to add WRs as Harvin keeps getting hurt and there isnt much else. Either way, he is the QB for a playoff team.
    I loved Tannehill last year and he showed he belongs in my opinion. Some might not think so. This year I like Jones and Wilson. We will see.

77. By johnnybluenose on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

we need to win this year. do not draft any quarterback early. we have a quarterback. kevin kolb. improve the o-line and get some pass rushers with our early draft picks. get a running back with a late pick and maybe a quarterback if there is a prospect considered better than hoyer and lindley. kolb has been a quarterback since he was 12 years old. he doesn’t need to be “coached up”. he just needs better protection, a running game and better play calling. hopefully bruce can provide the latter.

78. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren, think Arians had any input on Peterson playing that many plays on offense? Don’t see why McCarthy would risk injury.
    Kerry Rhodes throwing Whiz under bus about accountability with Bruce Cooper interview. Fact or fiction?

79. By Coach Kevin on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

Billy, there is a quarterback much like RG3 that nobody is talking about. He is 6’3″ and weighs 200 lbs. Runs a 4.70 and has a bazooka for an arm with the quickest release of any QB in this draft. Take a look at the video below. I think the Cardinals could get the steal of the draft if they take this kid in Round 4.

I’m talking about Matt Scott of Arizona

80. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Peterson/Rhodes

I don’t have any idea on Peterson, although they weren’t throwing the ball.

I didn’t see Rhodes’ interview.

81. By Keith on Jan 27, 2013 | Reply

So what’s the story on the AJ Jefferson trade. I get two stories; one is that we get Minnesota’s sixth round for our seventh round and the other is that the Vikings have Tennessee”s sixth round pick which we get along with their sixth round pick for our seventh round pick. Which one is it?
    Also, we should take O-Line first Joeckel, Fisher or Warmack.

82. By Louisville Card on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

@coach Kevin

Your guy Scott looks like a 6th or 7th rounder at best. When half of your highlight film is bad throw incompletion’s there isn’t any way you can pick him high. I get being a homer because he plays in AZ but 4th round no way and RGIII he is never going to be…

83. By Louisville Card on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

@ John the draft guy

I liked Geno too and still do. You’re right Geno didn’t play as well later on, but still put up good numbers. It was his defense that let him down most of the time though. If WV could’ve held OU to under 40 they win that game going away. His bowl game was bad though and that does throw up red flags,as well as his competitiveness. He’s very accurate though and throws a great deep ball. That’s what Arians is looking for, so he makes a lot of sense.

The more I thought about trading down though, I think they could find a partner and still get one of the two qb’s they are after. They would have to pick Fisher with their first pick and force SD to trade with them or lose their guy. Worst case scenario you have a great LT and have great depth on the line and pick your qb in the second.

84. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Keith –

RE: Jefferson trade

There has yet to be any announcement on what happens from the Jefferson trade.

85. By GMAN on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Off the subject here but this is about the article of Bernard Pollard of the Ravens.He thinks the NFL will be defunct in 30 years because of the rule changes to protect players from injury. Do you think the rules will be like they are for the Pro Bowl someday?

86. By D on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Wilson I don’t like..he has small hands….

Darren how was the beach? Assuming you got to go to HI to cover the Pro Bowl….. (only time I would be in favor of a union)

I think the Cards will use the top 3 rounds on a QB/OT or G/ DE depending on who is top player on board at the time….the teams ahead of AZ in the draft, like KC and Philly have needs the same as AZ, OT and QB…others in front of AZ have QB needs that could be taken in round 2…so Round 2 will be very interesting for Qb’s this year….

87. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

GMan –

RE: Rules

I have no idea. I don’t see the NFL going under, though.

88. By Kevin S on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

GMAN — Hard to predict the future (when I was a kid, baseball was the popular sport; football was gaining steam but not yet as popular, and the NBA finals were so uninteresting to the masses that they weren’t even shown live, but rather on tape-delay on late-night TV). But if I had to guess, what will hurt the NFL more in 30 years than anything else is the fact that fewer and fewer kids are playing football. When I was growing up, all the junior highs had a team… now almost none do. Some kids play Pop Warner but many more are playing soccer now. It would not surprise me if more HS teams drop the sport over time as the evidence of long-term damage from concussions mounts, and/or a few lawsuits get filed by HS players who got sent back into a game with a concussion or other problem by a coach and training staff, who obviously won’t have the expertise of those in the NFL, and then sustained a serious injury. Now, I don’t doubt that HS football will remain supreme in places like TX for a while, but don’t be surprised if in other places it wanes in popularity. And if people don’t play the game as kids, interest will wane as adults.

89. By GMAN on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S- Thanks for your insight,it makes alot of sense.All I know is I wouldn’t watch the NFL if the rules were like the Pro Bowl.Too much offense and not enough defense.I didn’t watch the Pro Bowl because of that.Are rugby players safer or tougher or what? No helmets or pads.

90. By Kevin S on Jan 28, 2013 | Reply

Yes, the “advances” in the helmet have ironically probably made the game more unsafe in many ways.