The chaos of media day

Posted by Darren Urban on January 29, 2013 – 12:34 pm

I have been fortunate enough to have covered a bunch of Super Bowls in the past, and plenty of media days — nine all told. On days like today, when the 49ers and Ravens are in the Superdome talking about Sunday’s game (and many, many other things), it naturally reminds me of those other times — like waiting for Cards-turned-Buccaneers defensive end Simeon Rice before he arrived some fashionably late by about 10 or 15 minutes, or bumping into Cardinals-turned-Seahawks running back Josh Scobey wandering around the sideline (the same Scobey now working here as a scouting assistant), or asking Bears linebacker Lance Briggs about Denny Green’s Monday night speech that had been made just a couple of months before.

Then there was the last one I attended, of course, in Tampa in January of 2009 with the Cardinals.

There is little question it’s a circus on media day, but in the end, it doesn’t really impact anything. It is so early in the week — and don’t forget, Tuesday is the day these players normally have off anyway — and before any practice that by the time the game rolls around, media day is a distant memory. (The players do have media sessions on Wednesday and Thursday, but those are held at the team hotels, they tend to be more low-key, and the newness factor of the week is long over.)

Maybe it’s because of the way the Super Bowl is covered/portrayed these days, but it always feels like media day is what truly kicks off Super Bowl week. So here we go.

MediaDay1USE

Tags: ,

35 Responses to “The chaos of media day”

1. By Dynosoar on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

I’m looking forward to an updated Super Bowl Media Day picture with larry front and center. C’mon Cardinals, make it happen.

Cardinals to the Super Bowl!

2. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

When the cards were in the superbowl, did you find other media people asking you questions to get any inside scoops?

It would seem logical, since you cover the team all year and they have a couple of weeks to pull out stories.

3. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Hey Cards fans,

Do you want a QB with a rocket arm ? ( one of the best I ever seen )
    You know , a big QB who can see over the pocket. He even has some athletic ability. He even comes with a small price tag.

Yes, Jamarcus Russel is making a come back. He is working with Marshall Faulk and Jeff Garcia and some track guy.

The Jets are said to be talking with him. The 2007 #1 overall pick, who never took his job serious, says he is ready now and wants another chance. Of course it was reported he was 305 pounds. Maybe this is who Arians was referring to as other options.

OK, ok, there is no way I would touch him, but the story is interesting.

4. By Andy Kw on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

This team has all the players needed to make it to the Pro Bowl. We just need a proper Coaching Staff to get there.
    -This is what I say this team needs to do first with the current roster:
    -Cut (LB Stewart Bradley, QB Ryan Lindley, TE Kory Sperry, G/C Mike Gibson, C Scott Wedige, LB Zach Nash)
    -Continue the releases of (OT D’Anthony Batiste, QB Brian Hoyer, WR Kerry Taylor, G Pat McQuistan, G/C Rich Ohrnberger, DE Vonnie Holliday, DE Ronald Talley, CB Michael Adams, S James Sanders, CB Greg Toler)
    -Think about return of (S Rashad Johnson, LB Quentin Groves, LB Paris Lenon, DE Nick Eason)

5. By Darren Urban on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy —

RE: Questions

The ones descending around the team for the first time, if I knew them, would ask for some background info once in a while, but by the Super Bowl, they are doing all the “big” stories that don’t take a whole lot of sleuthing to do.

6. By D on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

I find media day a waste of time. A day or week for the media to try to justify their expenses by looking for story lines and crap that has nothing to do with the game played on the field. A bunch of stories for non football fans that will tune into the game Sunday for the commercials and for water cooler talk.

7. By cardsalltheway on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

What, no Obama tags? Let me quote our fine President…“If I had a son, I’d have to think long and hard before I let him play football.”

“I tend to be more worried about college players than NFL players in the sense that the NFL players have a union, they’re grown men, they can make some of these decisions on their own, and most of them are well-compensated for the violence they do to their bodies,” Obama said in the interview.

“You read some of these stories about college players who undergo some of these same problems with concussions and so forth and then have nothing to fall back on. That’s something that I’d like to see the NCAA think about.”

The NFL is in trouble. And yes, media day looks like a circus!

8. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Can you disclose the reason(s) you missed covering the past few SBs Darren?
    Still get the “pleasure” of flying to Indy for the Combine?

9. By Mark on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

What were the final terms of the A. J. Jefferson trade?

10. By Brett n Co. on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,
    My opinion on Jamarcus Russell would be that if he can pass a psychology test maybe. I know he would be cheap but could he be stable enough to do the job, not saying the past three years have been rough for us but he has a lot I mean a lot to prove outside of being in shape. He almost acted like Ryan Leaf just did not care and could not take the pressure.

11. By Chuck 1 on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

john the draft guy,

I agree that Russell is a risk, but why not at least invite him to camp?

12. By Chuck 1 on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Obama needs to concentrate on the jobs, deficit and debt and keep his yap shut about other matters.

13. By Andy Kw on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Since Randy Moss is set to be a free agent after this season, do you think the Cardinals might sign him due to the veteran leadership he brings?

14. By mal on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Darren-

During the Underground in answer to Paul’s last QB question, Dave was the only one who got to answer before you guys timed out. He thot Kolb and Hoyer stuck, but what’s your guess? What about Wolf and Paul — is there consensus amoung you guys with Dave’s opinion? From what I watched this year, it makes sense to me.

15. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

What is the buzz there regarding Ray Lewis and performance enhancing drugs. Does anyone there think it is a real story?

I know there was the story where 2 people died and what Ray’s involvement was, but I really think Ray seems like the real deal. Passionate about his job, family, God, friends and community.

I sure hope there are no legs to the story.

16. By John The Draft Guy on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway;

Billion dollar businesses find a way to keep rolling. Just look at the tobacco industry.
    Heck, they put on the package it might kill you, yet people still puff away.

Obama, and for that matter Kurt Warner have the money to make those choices. But let’s face it, how many young men would have never gone to college without the help of a football scholarship. Look at the way football has changed generations of people.

A scholarship sends him to college where he can get the education and change his life and go on to get a career. Now, his children will grow up better than him and expect to go to college and generations are changed.

Or, He is fortunate enough to make it to the NFL and make millions. Think how that will change his family and future family members lives.
    I was fortunate to coach a couple of pro players and I can tell you from experience, it was going to be hard to climb out of Port Arthur Texas without assistance.
    (yes the same school where Jimmy Johnson and Janis Joplin both went to. Janis still has her name carved into an attic area above the drama stage)

Sure, not everyone is poor and some use their money unwisely, but the majority use this game to further their lives and future generations.

Football is a great game full of passion. Sure people are hurt in a violent game. Long lasting effects. But most aren’t. I personally think the NFL and players union are doing everything to keep it a safe game.

17. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

I don’t understand the idea that you would cut any of these players you have listed. 80 players can be on the roster for training camp. Then, the cuts are made to 65 and 53. What is the point of cutting anyone before training camp, contract issues notwithstanding — especially the possible depth at QB, DB, and O Line?

18. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 29, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

I just want to clarify my previous question. My contention that I don’t find it useful to just start cutting players is based on the fact that Bruce Arians will be in his first year as Head Coach. I just feel that it would behoove him to look at these players in live action, aside from what he sees on film. As free agency and the draft happen, Arians would start to replace players already on the roster, and as training camp happens, he would filter out the lesser talents. But, a wholesale cut doesn’t seem likely for a first year HC, in my opinion.

(Now, if you are saying that these players you have listed probably won’t eventually make the cut, then I won’t argue against your opinion. If you are saying that they should just be cut now, that is what I disagree with. Otherwise, forget everything I said.)

19. By johnnybluenose on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

georgiebird. just so you know, i won’t be happy or satisfied if our record this year is not better than 8-8. i think this team can be turned around and anything less than a play-off spot will be a disappointment. i understand how tough our division is, i really do. i just cannot imagine that all the injuries we had last year will be repeated and i am hopeful that our new coaching staff will be better, on and off the field, than we had last year with whiz and company.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Super Bowls

When I worked for the East Valley Tribune, I went. The first year I worked for the team, the game was in Arizona, so I covered it. The next year, the Cardinals were in it, so I covered it. But there isn’t a whole lot of incentive for me to cover it in my current job when it costs so much. I will be there again when the Cards get there again, and/or when it comes back to Az in a couple of years.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Jefferson trade

The league is still not disclosing that.

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1, cardsalltheway —

RE: President

Keep the politics out of this please.

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Moss

Moss and “veteran leadership”?

Ah, no.

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Hoyer

I can’t speak for the other guys, but I think there is a chance he could be back. Given the QB market, though, Hoyer may be choosy in where he ends up.

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

John the Draft Guy —

RE: Ray Lewis

I only know what I have read.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals —

RE: Training camp

Actually, the roster is now at 90 for camp.

27. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Speaking of media, very nice job all around on the new Cardinals Underground video format. Having shot a lot of video myself for personal and occupational projects, I can appreciate how much time and effort went into the planning, production and editing of the video podcast, and that there are several people behind the scenes who made the podcast possible.

Although the audio format was quite adequate for my enjoyment, it was nice to be able to see the expressions and reactions of the commentators to others in the room who were speaking (especially Wolf’s reactions). That’s something you just don’t get with audio only, obviously.

My only suggestion is that it might be nice to add a comment box underneath the video window. Probably more work than it’s worth however, as the other comment areas attached to stories elsewhere on this website get hijacked with people commenting on something totally unrelated to the written story.

Is the video format going to continue going forward, or is the latest episode(s) a trial run or just a one-time opportunity to discuss the massive change and commemorate a new chapter in the Cardinals history. It would definitely seem like a lot of work to produce a video podcast every week once the regular season is underway.

Again, kudos to everyone involved in the creation of the first video podcast of, “Cardinals Underground.”

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Ottis —

RE: Video podcast

As of now, you are right, the logistics involved will make it very difficult to make this a common occurrence, but it is something we are striving to do sometime down the road. In the meantime, you will see them around selected times — draft, combine, etc.

29. By johnnybluenose on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw. re randy moss. that was a joke, right?

30. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Darren. I guess I thought that 90 man roster was just for the lockout season. I forgot all about them making it permanent.

31. By Chuck 1 on Jan 30, 2013 | Reply

If you’ve noticed, I have NOT injected political comments into the blog until another poster took the first step.
    I will not remain silent when someone makes a political statement.
    You should have deleted cardsalltheway’s comment.
    That’s the second time that he’s done that. i called you on it in a previous thread.

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Trolling

You want to pick a fight with me, fine.

Thanks for coming.

33. By Darren Urban on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Comments

You’ve been a solid commenter here, Chuck.

But I’ll say this — I’m going to decide what makes it through and what doesn’t. If you want to start a blog, you can decide what goes too far and what doesn’t.

34. By Chuck 1 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Although another commenter might, I don’t “want to pick a fight with you”, :)
    And no, I won’t start a blog because i wouldn’t know how to, but most importantly I couldn’t put up with the B.S. that you do.
    When I wrote my last comment, I obviously overreacted, regarding your “obligation” to edit or not post a comment from another poster when it fell outside what you had announced were the bounds of the blog.
    Sorry about that.

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Chuck —

RE: Comments

No worries. You are the least of my concerns.