A chat and some other tidbits

Posted by Darren Urban on January 31, 2013 – 10:06 am

Sure, the Super Bowl is coming Sunday. But there is still time to talk about the Cardinals, so I’ll be doing that in a chat a 1 p.m. today Arizona time (3 p.m. Eastern). If you are interested, the link is right here.

– Speaking of links, here are a couple more.

* Here’s a cool highlight package of Larry Fitzgerald’s greatest hits. Don’t forget Fitz is also up for the NFL’s Man of the Year award, which will be announced Saturday night.

* Nicole Bidwill is taking part in a charity dance competition for her friend, former Cardinals great wide receiver Roy Green, who underwent a kidney transplant. Bidwill is raising money for the National Kidney Foundation of Arizona. My cohort Josh Weinfuss is working on a story for azcardinals.com that should be posted in the next day or so, but you can also watch a video with Bidwill and Green about the situation (and maybe even donate some money.)

* Here’s a quick overview of one of the new members of the front office, Debbie Pollom, who comes to the Cards to work for GM Steve Keim after two decades with the Rams.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “A chat and some other tidbits”

1. By donttakelosses on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Re BadAss Bruce Arians: The more I study the more I am astounded we got him as HC, and Tom Moore? … unreal to mentor new OC. Just big congrats to l’il Bidwill on coup. Arians proves whey he’s the best choice every time he opens his mouth. We got the better HC from Indy, no doubt.

Stoked for 2013, DTL

2. By Dynosoar on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Jason and other draft gurus,

I’m not seeing what you see. In the Alabama games I watched, E. Lacey was spectacular. Why don’t you feel he will go in the first round? I’m always open to new information I don’t have. Unfortunately (or fortunately…) between employment, home and coaching fencing I don’t have as much time as I’d like to research draft prospects.

We took Beanie Wells in the first round, E. Lacey is not injured, hasn’t been injured and has put up phenomenal numbers. He makes plays and would take pressure off the pass rush and give our quarterback time to make reads and he also catches out of the backfield.

I don’t know about his blocking skills. Anyway, why do feel he’s not a first rounder and if he’s not, is there a RB you do see as a first rounder?

With the progress of Potter and Massey and Brown comming back, I don’t feel a Tackle in the first or even the second round are dire necessities (I have also watched what SF did with picking O-Line in the first rounds a few years ago, so I’m not opposed to this, I just don’t feel urgent about it.) I do feel we need someone dynamic in our backfield and feel Lacey fills that.

Wells, Williams, The Hyphen, Powell and Lacey. We’d be unstoppable if all were healthy. I wouldn’t know who to keep if we only had 4.

3. By Dynosoar on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see not only our coaching staff, but Keim’s staff is also filling out.

Roy Green, Otis Anderson, Mel Grey, Jim Hart and Neil Lomax were my favorites growing up. I have Andersons 32 penned on the lower back of my Cardinals helmet from my youth. I got to see a lot of Cardinals games because they were always playing the Cowboys (ughh), Redskins and Giants who were all the powerhouse teams of the day.

I loved watching my team play and still do.

4. By georgiebird on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Dareen,
    Great to hear about Roy Green’s recuperation.
    Randy Moss is claiming to be the greatest wide receiver and in so doing says that Jerry Rice’s records alone should not make him the greatest wide receiver. In a way I agree with Moss in that Jerry Rice was great for a long period of time- but maybe not the greatest short term. And Moss argues “who would you rather cover in a game, Rice or myself”.
    The fact is if longevity wasn’t a factor in determining greatness, there was no wide receiver in NFL history given more attention in a short period of time than Roy Green was given during the 1984 and 1985 seasons. Roy in his prime was the best and that includes Rice and Moss- just ask Bill Parcells.

5. By Chuck 1 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Kudos Darren,

A VERY inspirational story about Roy and Nicole!!!

6. By Jason Marcus on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

I want a full on beast mode year for our man Fitz nothing else…. turn it on Cards we make everyone see RED IN 2013!!!!!!

7. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

@Dynasoar,

I like Lacy, but he does have an injury history of his own.

We can gab all we want about what offenses are run, but if we really break down what Seattle and SF did that turned them around, look no further than the OL. Russell Okung, Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Max Unger, etc., are a caliber of offensive linemen we don’t currently have. I think Massie and Potter add valuable depth, but they aren’t blue-chip, elite level players and I don’t think they project to be. By all accounts we’re reaching at #7 for a skill player. It’s time for us to get a guy like Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, or Johnson.

Offensive schemes come and go, but games will continue to be won and lost on the line of scrimmage. With all due respect to Floyd, how would an OL with DeCastro and Fisher look as a starting point in a rebuilding offense? I’ll take that over another injury prone running back, or a strong armed QB who misses his targets by five yards. I know there is the Levi Brown fear, but for all he isn’t he’s still a bulldozer in the run game and a big upgrade over our current Guards, should we move him there.

8. By Coach Kevin on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Here’s a mock draft from a Sedona Physic. Asked as a friend, but the list actually made sense to me. so I’m posting it here as was given to me. Strange yes, but all I did was provide a list of 100 players arranged in several different mock drafts. She could mix and match at her choosing. Interesting.

Here are the names in order

Eric Fisher, OT
    Datone Jones, DE
    Tyler Bray, QB
    LeVeon Bell, RB
    Kevin Reddick, LB
    J.J. Wilcox, SS
    Jake Stoneburner, TE

9. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

@Coach Kevin,

Sounds like your psychic friend knows a little about college football. Pretty good mock draft for us.