• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Finalizing the equation of Jefferson trade

Posted by Darren Urban on February 15, 2013 – 7:43 pm

Many have asked over the months since the Cardinals traded cornerback A.J. Jefferson to the Vikings at the end of August. Thanks to my friend Tom Pelissero, erstwhile Vikings guru, those trade results have been finalized. Ultimately, the trade was Jefferson and the Cardinals’ seventh-round pick in 2013 for the Tennesee Titans’ 2013 6th-round pick, which the Vikings had previously acquired.

Considering the Cards were on the verge of cutting Jefferson (and the league knew the Cards were corner-heavy) when the trade went down, moving up a round wasn’t a bad result. It gives the Cards, at least before the compensatory picks are doled out, seven total draft picks covering the first six rounds of the draft.

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Finalizing the equation of Jefferson trade”

1. By georgiebird on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

The Cards were “corner heavy” -is that a quantity thing because it sure wasn’t a quality thing. Cardinals seem to have been screwed here- AJ did become a starter for the Vikes. Vikes lost in playoffs due to bad QB play. AJ had some good and bad moments in the last two Packers’ games.
    Think the Cards should have received a four.

2. By ored on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

lucky #6,just need to find another brady

3. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

BRING D.R.C HOME WITH PETERSON AND FLEMMING WE HAVE A SOLID CB TANDEM…

4. By emlfuryoflion on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

@georgiebird

You do realize we had the 5th best passing defense in the league right? It is hard to be a top 5 pass defense with bad corners. So yeah the cards were corner heavy in quality and quantity.

Getting a 4 would have been nice though I’l admit.

5. By chad on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

I liked this move when it happened.

I just hope we make even better moves this off season.

6. By joe holst on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

they passed on nick foles and kirk cousins for j.fleming, bad. The Card never get compensatory picks which is another strike. Im so glad Rod Graves is out , tall the needs they have ,the left tackle position ha sto be addressed.

7. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

No compensatory picks this year either.
    Losses: Richard Marshall and Duece Lutui.
    Gains (and I use the term loosely): Adam Synder, William Gay and James Sanders.

WHEN was the last year the Cards received a supplemental choice?

8. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Keim is faced with the difficult task of getting this franchise in order. If I was in his shoes, here is what I would consider.

I know many disagree, but I see no value in Kevin Kolb. His cap relief would be welcomed. He is not a franchise QB, and as long as he is here, they will keep putting him in and not moving to the future. We did this last year and skipped on a QB because many wanted to give Kolb a chance or thought he was good enough.He wasnt and wont be this year. Release Kolb.

I know this isn’t popular, but I don’t see us unseeding SF or Seattle next year. So why pay an aging DT 7.7 million? With that cap hit and his age, I dont think Dockett can be traded. Time to part ways and sign someone who can play the 3-4 end. Desmond Bryant is a FA, is big and athletic. He would fit perfect as a 3-4 end. That is the one splash in FA.

I love Adrian Wilson. He is a warrior and hopefully will end up in the ring of honor. I also watched Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith age and leave their teams. I think Wilson’s time has come. I really like Rhodes and an extension is in order.

Our offensive lines contracts really prohibit the cards to make any moves there except Levi. But as I said before, I find value in Levi and would keep him. I watched Andrew Luck play behind a bad Oline and put up big numbers. Our Oline is not as bad as people think. With Potter, Brown, Massie, Sendlein, we are in good shape. Drafting a guy like Larry Warford in the 3rd would solidify this line.

Finally, the cards need a QB. With Kolb gone and the understanding we are building something, A vet and a rookie is what is needed. I think Tyler Wilson would be the number 1 ranked QB had he not stumbled his senior year. But the stumble in my opinion was related to many factors. (coach left, wrs went to NFL, oline was bad, RB had bad year). Bringing in Stanton to hold down the fort till Wilson is ready is a good idea.

Afterall, we have a talented rookie QB with a down year and QB gurus who can build an offense around his talents.

Draft;
    1st- I get why people want Womack. I like Jarvis Jones or Damonte Moore at OLB. Dion Jordon at OLB also is interesting. I still believe this team should consider moving down and trying to pick up additional picks.

Getting an extra two by trading with the bears (coming up to get a Tackle), I would take Wilson at the end of round 1. In the second, CB Trufant, or CB Poyer, ILB Ogletree, OLB OKefer, safety Eric Reed or maybe RB Eddie Lacy. Then grab Warford in the 3rd.

9. By Andy Kw on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is there any chance Richard Bartel can comeback? He was way better than Ryan Lindley in the 2012 preseason.

10. By trip on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

on a different subject, with freeney not going to be a colt next year, any chance the cards try to pick him up? would they even want to? or is the salary an issue?

11. By UKCard on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren, a few websites are quoting that we got not only the Titans’ 6th round pick, but the Vikings’ 6th round pick also – meaning that we would have 3 picks in the 6th round, and 8 picks overall, can you shed some light on this?

12. By philly cards on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Was it worth keeping gay and also making this trade no. If you look at the whole picture. And maybe the upside of a young corner helps now because we still need a corner.

Gay Toler r johnson and kerry rhodes need to go.

13. By Chuck 1 on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

I pounded the table for the last few years for the Cards to fire Graves.
    Hopefully, Keim was not influential in making the draft and FA decisions that the Cards made in 2010-2012.
    We shall see in the next few months what Keim does.

14. By clssylssy on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

The Cards may get a second bite at the Apple with Foles if they so some slick maneuvering and dealing as the Eagles just signed Dixon and the rumor is that KC/Andy Reid is wanting Foles. Guess we are going to see very soon if our newly assembled staff of NFL Masters are what their creds look like on paper. I’m looking forward to March 12 and April 25th to see the new guys outshine the “old regime”. Good Luck Cards, you are going up against some Giants!

15. By djjackson81 on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

U wanna fix the Cardinals? Draft Eric Fisher,Lane Johnson and the center from Alabams.

16. By Cardinals future owner 17 PHX on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

furyoflion, we most def did not have a top 5 pass defense the season we traded jefferson, you got your seasons mixed up bud, jefferson was already in MIN this year when we had the a top pass D

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw–

RE: Bartel

He isn’t coming back.

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Trip –

RE: Freeney

Never say never. But I don’t see him as an every down LB.

19. By Darren Urban on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

UK -

RE: trade

The trade involved a one-for-one pick and the player.

20. By philly cards on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

For 2013 No new quarterback is better than kolb. Cutting or demoting him is a step back. minimum 2 yrs and how far back are we by then.

We have an easy 20 mill found. No new coach wants the old guys projects. Especially with a new gm. I see the new front office playing a game showing no cap space right now.

21. By Andy Kw on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Our future will right now remain with Kolb but if Geno SMith is available in the 1st round, we have to take him. We should sign QB Drew Stanton to a 1yr contract since we are so low in cap space. Kevin Kolb is good when there is a good OL so I still expect Kolb to be the starter. Skelton, Lindley, and Hoyer will go.

22. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Philly cards

That kind of thinking had us pass on Tannehill, Oswalter, R. Wilson, Foles, and Cousins last year. How would drafting one of these guys have set us back two years?

Yeah, lets go with Kolb again. He has been bad and injured for 3 years in a row. But this year is different!! Right?

Besides, as you said, no new coach wants the old guys projects. Kolb is a failed project. Admit the mistake, cut Kolb and move on.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Darren, Florio (or one of his minions) suggests the Cards use a franchise tag on Greg Toler. I’m saying “not even close, bud”. Your thoughts?

24. By clssylssy on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

We have a talented rookie QB? Who? Where have they been keeping him or did we just get somebody?

25. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

My reference was to the one we draft this year.

We keep reading of how Arians and Moore can coach up a QB and build a system around him, Tyler Wilson was on his way to being a top 5 pick in 2012. But this year he lost his coach who designed and called plays, his wrs and played behind an aweful oline and was inconsistent. Tyler is very talented and given the right circumstances, can be successful in this league.

26. By Andy Kw on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think Austin Collie will come to Arizona?

27. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Collie

I don’t know. I don’t know if I’d want a guy with such an injury history.

28. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Yeah, that Peyton guy with the neck injuries was sure incompetent.

29. By Coach Kevin on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

Very simple.

Round 1-Fisher
    Round 2- Barrett Jones
    Round 3- Tyler Bray
    Round 4- Montee Ball
    Round 5- Bruce Taylor
    Round 6-Tyrann Mathieu
    Round 6b- Jake Stoneburner

Keep Kolb and Hoyer, problems solved!

Simple.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Andystandsup;

What does that mean? Sarcasm about Peyton sitting out last year with a neck injury. Don’t get it.

Surely you are not trying to compare Kolb, (who played bad when not injured), being injured and coming back to a guy who was a hall of famer before he got injured are you? No , can’t be that. No one is that dumb to make that comparison.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Coach Kevin,

So what I’m seeing is Potter or Brown are not a starters in your eyes .
    OK, I dont agree but I’ll roll with that. But Tyler Bray?

Bray was very inconsistent and would have benefited from another year of college football. Word on him is a weak work ethic and needs to grow up a lot. Really wish he stayed in college.

Montee Ball would be interesting and I can see him growing into a nice roll for the cards.

Taylor is a run stopping ILB but he can’t cover. He will clearly be a two down LB and teams could take advantage of him in the passing game on 1st and 2nd.

Tyrann Mathieu is a huge risk. First, on the field, he is 5’9″ going up against big NFL Wrs might be an issue. Off the field is even more of an issue. ^th round might be worth the risk.

Stoneburner might not be a bad late round pick.

I’m a bit lost how problems are solved. We didn’t address an OLB who can get to the QB, a safety to take the place of an aging ADub or DE to replace the 34 yr old Dockett. Not to mention, you still want Kolb.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Andystandsup

I see, you were referring to Darrens comment about Collie

33. By Co on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

I think another team would pick him earlier, but I have no issue with taking a risk guy like Mathieu late…Those picks aren’t throw aways, but you can gamble a bit more with a high risk/ high reward guy. Seems Like PP has taken him under his wing this offseason, maybe he can get the best out of him and keep him in line. Let him return Kickoffs since it is looking like the hyphen might be moving on.

2. Mar 21, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Draft picks over a Frostee