Ask questions of the decision-makers

Posted by Darren Urban on February 18, 2013 – 11:15 am

With the Scouting combine this week in Indianapolis, azcardinals.com will be hosting a series of live video chats with key Cardinals decision-makers when it comes to the team and the draft, including general manager Steve Keim and head coach Bruce Arians, among others. Specific times are still being hammered out, but they will take place Thursday, Friday and/or Saturday. More details to come.

In the meantime, we’re asking for your questions. Send them to askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net or tweet them to @AZCardinals using the hash tag #AZCardsChat.  Then, tune in to see if your question is used on the air.  You can watch on http://www.azcardinals.com/livevideo. Keep it tuned here for more info.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Ask questions of the decision-makers”

1. By Herbert on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

I know the combine hasn’t came yet but i would think the Cardinals should look into running back “Montee Ball.”

2. By D on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

I would have BA go talk to the Steelers this week in Inday about trading for L. Woodley. (of course Woodley would have to agree to restructure his contract)

I would give them a 4th rounder and E. Doucet for him.
    John Lott would get his mind right.

3. By L on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

do you think their going to offer dominick rodgers-cromartie if he becomes unrestricted free agent?
    i think having him and peterson we;ll have our coners problems we have had over past years

4. By Andy Kw on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

This team should take QB Geno Smith in the first round and if we really truly come to the point where QB Kevin Kolb is our long term starter, we could trade Geno Smith for some 1st round picks in the future. It seems as though Kansas City is planning to address the Offensive Line and not the Quarterback Position and I still see the dynamic Geno Smith being a long term starter and pro bowl player. This team should think about the future due to Kolb’s health issues. This team should trade Early Doucet and a 6th round pick for the Steeler’s Linebacker James Harrison. I don’t care what people say about this draft not having any good QBs because there are plenty of QB talent in the 2013 draft.

5. By SteveG on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

I am very upset to hear that the Cardinals will soon choose a Pope!

While prayer is helpful sometimes, choosing a 70 + yr old dude makes NO SENSE and yet, everywhere I look, “Cardinals to select a pope”…..

PLEASE select a younger man for the position and the argument to cement the request?….. The old dude won’t be available on SUNDAYS!!!

I look forward to the puff of smoke over the Tempe facility….

6. By SteveG on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

A few other reasons not to select a Pope!

1. Insists on wearing his own uniform.
    2. Concussions are likely due to choice of headgear.
    3. Touchdown celebrations tend to be lengthy and require props.
    4. Team meetings in LATIN!

JUST SAY NO!

7. By Darren Urban on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

L —

RE: DRC

I do not expect DRC to return.

8. By fightingbird on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

do you think the Cardinals might be interested in D.Sweeny since Arians came from that organization

9. By philly cards on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

We selected leonard pope several years ago

10. By Chuck 1 on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

SteveG,

Do you write for Leno?

11. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

@SteveG,
    You realize Leonard Pope is a FA available from the Steelers that could do a Thomas Wolfe, no?

12. By clssylssy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    I know some teams have a special “scouting staff”, guys who are responsible for scouting talent at the college level, the professional level and combine scouts. Does the Cardinal Organization have such a staff of scouting assistants and if so, who are they and what exactly is their level of responsibility in the final say. With the abundance of experienced and knonwledgeable coaches on our staff now, I would think that this is an area where the Cards could excel. I know you just did a piece about our new GM “picking talent”, which, given his relative lack of experience when compared to BA, TM, HG, et al (196 yrs college experience, 191 years NFL, 66 years playing experience) makes me nervous. I do not agree with
    Steve G and see this extensive pool of knowledge as about the best thing the Cards has going right now and clearly a good starting point for building a playoff team of the future. Knowledge=Power and everybody could benefit from continuing to learn. Who actually will be responsible for evaluating and “picking talent”? Can you break it down for us a little more?

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Scouts

All the scouts information can be found here, in the links to the football operations staff.

I’m not sure how you see Keim as inexperienced. Read up on his bio.

14. By clssylssy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Darren:
    I didn’t mean he is TOTALLY inexperienced…just saying comparatively when you look at the other coaching staff as well as other GMs around the league he is relatively not as experienced; he has never been “the guy” but has been an assistant. I am a big believer in on the job experience working along side and mentoring under senior staff.
    Thanks

15. By clssylssy on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Also…you didn’t answer my question. Who is primarily responsible for deciding who will get taken by the Cards? Is it the Head Coach, the GM, the Owner; I suspect they all have a hand in the decision but ultimately who is “the guy”? Who do the fans hold accountable for the successes and misses?

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Decisions

They will hash it out in pre-draft meetings, so I don’t know if there is just one accountable. They make it a group effort, so I suppose there is group blame.

17. By adamant on Feb 19, 2013 | Reply

Will the “decision-makers” take a look at signing Dwight Freeny? I know Arians coached him last year with the Colts. Freeny is a lil older at 33, but he still commands attention as a viable pass rusher.

Don’t know how it would work out. Could Darnell move to NT and then we would have CC and Freeny on the ends? or maybe Freeny would come in only on passing situations. Maybe with Freeny, we run a 4-3 a lil more often with CC and Freeny at the ends and DD and Williams as the DT’s?