• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Here in Indy, the combine (with chats) to start

Posted by Darren Urban on February 20, 2013 – 2:05 pm

So I have arrived at the Scouting combine for another year (that’s 13, if anyone is counting) to the chilly weather — it’s in the 20s today, so however poor the weather is back in Phoenix, it’s not Indy. We’ll have a bunch of content from here, both written and video, not only over the four days of our stay but extending into next week. It starts tomorrow when head coach Bruce Arians and general manager Steve Keim each take their turn at the podium in front of the national media (and I will have a story).

Just because you aren’t here at Lucas Oil Stadium doesn’t mean you can’t ask questions yourself. I’ll be hosting a pair of live video chats on azcardinals.com on Thursday and Friday. Thursday will be Keim’s turn and Friday will be Arians, both taking place at 12:30 p.m. Arizona time. I’ve been taking questions already but if you have something to ask, shoot an e-mail to askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net or send a tweet to @azcardinals with the hash tag #AZCardsChat.

With free agency still a few weeks away, the heightened tension at a combine isn’t as great as it used to be once (I remember one year where free agency actually began while teams were here.) But this is really where it feels like the 2013 season gets underway.

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Here in Indy, the combine (with chats) to start”

1. By D on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

D
    Since your corporate card needs to be dusted off, try the New York Strip over at Shula’s, not bad…

2. By Credit Card on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

I can’t help myself. As a taxpayer and watching this next looming fiscal cliff, why praytell is the NFL a non-profit organization. I think they should pay income taxes just like the rest of fans sitting in the bleachers.

I honestly think fans and ordinary citizens need to raise this question. Furthermore, the NFL needs to man-up and step up to the podium and explain why they are special.

Credit Card

3. By ored on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

coach,less podium stuff,more player analysis,delegate the suit and tie stuff,play your strengths,lol.we really need to have a solid draft,i’ll settle for exceptional,lol.

4. By The Red Bird of Death on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Credit Card , you are a true American and I salute you, many are afraid to ask these simple questions ,we will never get to the bottom of that one , but I would love to know why myself and would challenge all nfl fans to stand up(with Andy or without) and ask them to tell us exactly why in detail.

5. By D on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Then again, if your on a budget, can’t go wrong with Steak n Shake, chilli mac and a shake.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Credit Card and TRBOD,

Does the NFL get profits or does it go to the teams? I’m not sure how it works.

But if I was to guess, the NFL brings in enough to run the organization, meaning there is no profits for an owner or stockholder. I am sure each individual pays their taxes, but are non profit.
    I would think the people who make profits are the owners. I’m also pretty sure each team owner pays more taxes than either you or I make.

As much as I would like to explore this topic, I am enjoying my discussions about Kolb needing to be released and drafting another QB more.

7. By D on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Regardless of what the media or politicans say, profits are not a bad thing.

With the Olineman going first this week, it will be fun to see how Warmack, Fisher and some other good Olineman perform in the drills…

8. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

D

I’m more interested in the QBs I didn’t see who is going to the combine, but here is who I want to see.

. I want to see the arm strength of Wilson and Barkley.

Accuracy is huge for Glennon.

How athletic is Geno Smith and I would ask him why he faded in big games.

I think Landry Jones will be a stud in shorts. His issue is pressure and that can only be seen on tape.

9. By Kevin S on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

The non-profit status of the NFL goes back a while. You’ve heard of 501(c)(3) organizations (these are your charities like the food bank or United Way)… well, other parts of Internal Revenue Code section 501(c) exempt other organizations from the federal income tax. Under 501(c)(6), these groups are also exempt: “Business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues (whether or not administering a pension fund for football players), not organized for profit and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.”

What’s interesting is the reference specifically to professional FOOTBALL leagues, not sports leagues in general. The NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. are not exempt. Football got in there because Pete Rozelle lobbied for it at around the time of the AFL-NFL merger, and the exemption got tacked to another bill that was about something else entirely (as often happens with special interest legislation; no one even knows what all is in the bills).

Now, how exactly the NFL can claim to be “not organized for profit” is beyond me… but generally speaking, it is not really a huge deal. Money from stuff like the TV contracts flows through to the teams and they are NOT non-profit entities. So taxes do get paid on the vast majority of the NFL revenue. The registered NFL non-profit entity reported around $184M in revenue in 2010, according to Tom Coburn (a senator who doesn’t believe the league should be nonprofit)… this is basically from “membership dues and assessments” that it charges to the teams to run the league operations (paying Goodell and other league officials their salaries, for example). But, obviously, the NFL generates way more than $184M in revenue for its member teams — estimates are in the range of $9 billion — so it’s not like the tax status of the NFL is shielding a ton of revenue from taxation. (Interestingly, on its 2009 return, the NFL reported a loss.)

10. By Kevin S on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Actually, to clarify, I should point out that the other sports leagues are not specifically exempt the way football is. But as I understand it, the NHL still claims to be exempt, presumably under the more generic “business league” or trade association exemptions. So does the PGA. College bowl games have been under fire for being organized as charities but actually doing very little with the money that would be considered charitable. MLB apparently used to claim this same tax-exempt status but stopped doing so in part to avoid having to disclose salary info about its executives.

11. By Credit Card on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Kevin S

Thank you, well explained. I heard about the non-profit status awhile ago, and it bothered me. I agree with other posts, I’d rather complain about QB play, who to draft, poor play calling and so on.

thanks again

12. By Coach Kevin on Feb 21, 2013 | Reply

Based on the interview I heard today and the positions discussed, I have a new pre-combine Cardinal mock draft to share:

RD1- Eric Fisher
    RD2- Logan Ryan
    RD3- Tyler Bray
    RD4- Chase Thomas
    RD5- Jawan Jamison
    RD6- Bruce Taylor
    RD6- Tyrann Mathieu
    RD6- Jake Stoneburner

13. By Rich on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

We need your perspective on edge rushers, running backs, safeties, qb’s !!!!!!
    Have fun……………what a great job……………

14. By clssylssy on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Glad to read that Steve Keim will be talking to Tyrann Mathieu, the Honey Badger but also saw the interview with Coach Arians and it seemed like all he wanted to talk about was how great the Colts were and how the Cards are going to need to build around Kolb…LOL! Why doesn’t that surprise me? According to the media not all the QBs who finished in the top 10 of the NCAA will be at combine and even among those some have not been “rated” by the experts. We’ve all seen how worthless being a Heisman Trophy winner actually translates into success in the NFL so I would rely on the coaches and people with actual experience to be making the heavy decisions and doing the choosing, hoping they are looking at ALL the QBs who week-after-week ending in the top 10. For some reason this team always gravitates to USC which has been our fatal flaw in the past! I’m really hoping this group uses our picks wisely to build a killer offense since our defense only needs “tweeking’ (according to BA).