A top rookie quarterback would play

Posted by Darren Urban on February 22, 2013 – 3:55 pm

Back in 2006, when Matt Leinart was just drafted and Denny Green was in charge, the hype around the Cardinals’ freshly-minted quarterback-of-the-future was off the charts. Back then, Kurt Warner was just a guy, a placeholder for Leinart much like Warner had been for Eli Manning and the Giants back in 2004. But Green was having none of the hype. He made it plain — in a perfect scenario for 2006, Warner would play all season, and Leinart would sit and learn the whole year and not even play a single snap.

(Of course, that didn’t happen because Warner fumbled the ball all over the place and Leinart came in and it got me one of my all-time favorite quotes from Denny. I asked him, with the Cards 1-8 and Leinart struggling, what it would have meant for Leinart to have sat the entire season as the original plan, and Denny’s first reaction was, “That’s an awfully philosophical question for a Wednesday.” As opposed to saving the philosophical questions for Friday. But I digress.)

Flash forward to 2013, when the Cardinals could spend their highest pick on a QB since that season. Will it be the first round? If I am guessing, I say no. Never say never I suppose. The second round seems more likely. But unlike Green, both GM Steve Keim and coach Bruce Arians would rather drop a first-round rookie in the fire. No reason to wait.

“My philosophy is, if you are taking a player that high, particularly at the quarterback position, I think that guy needs to be on the field and play for you,” Keim said. “To me, a player grows by being on the field and taking snaps, and I don’t think you can replicate that, whether it is the speed of the game, the timing of routes … in practice. He needs to be on the field.”

Said Arians, “I’ve never been one to sit them on the bench. You never learn on the bench. He’s not going to get any reps in practice because that’s for the starter. If you want him to develop, you give him every rep in practice and you throw him out there. Hopefully you can put enough talent around him that he can handle the downside.”

LeinartQBrightawayblogUSE

Tags: , , , ,

24 Responses to “A top rookie quarterback would play”

1. By carlo milan italy on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

darren
    will u interview some draft prospect in these days in indianapolis?

2. By djjackson81 on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

No QB in this draft worth the 7 th pick. Second round maybe but only if Geno Smith falls to the second and he won’t. Out of all the QB’s in this Draft EJ Manuel and Matt Scott as a sleeper would be good for AZ.

3. By alexmannsportskings on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

I like his logic. I wasn’t opposed to Whisenhunts logic but I felt like how is your #1 pick supposed to grow if he rides the bench and doesn’t work with the starters. Darren, who would you draft @ #7? If both Eric Fisher and and Geno Smith were on the board and you had the rated the same on your board… Which would you select?

4. By fightingbird on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Steve Breaston was released by KC do you think he could come back and challenge for a job

5. By Steve on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Why are you doubtful that the Cards take a QB in the 1st round? Is that gut feeling based on your belief that Kolb will be around to start for us next season?

6. By Eric G on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Cards first round draft ranking as I see it.

Joeckel OT
    Warmack G
    Fisher OT
    Smith QB

7. By Credit Card on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Nate Potter has about the same height and weight of Joukel. I thought, although raw, Potter showed promise. As the season developed, as did Potter. 1/2 season under his belt, understanding the playbook, intense off-season training — Potter very well could make huge strides next year.

8. By georgiebird on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

The QB thought process is precisely why Arians’ was hired. Unless Arians’ can come up with a top 10 QB, his tenure will be a failure. Arians is a guru on QBs. If there is a QB out there who is available via draft, FA, or by being released, Arians is expected to find him. If a FA or drafted QB goes on to be successful with another team, it’s on Arians’ head.
    There is no HC in all of the NFL who has more pressure to get the QB decision right than Arians.
    Prevailing thought says there is no QB available who can crack the top 10. That leads us to the other possible move for this year in building the rest of the team and not paying big for mediocre QB talent.
    It might not be fair, but Arians may have come to the Cardinals a year too late. Can he make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear? I hope so !

9. By georgiebird on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Warner fumbled the ball because he hadn’t found the velcro gloves, yet. Kurt wore the Velcro gloves on both hands- not shown in the picture above.
    I know we agree to disagree on this one.

10. By Chuck 1 on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

That sends a message to Kolb that he in on very thin ice, although I doubt that the Cards will draft a “TOP rookie quarterback”.
    I see them drafting an OLineman in Round 1 and a QB in Round 2. In that case, the QB would probably not be considered a “TOP rookie quarterback”.
    Still, the rookie is only one or two bad games by Kolb (who I believe will be the starter if he isn’t traded) away from starting.

11. By Andy Kw on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I heard WR DeMarco Sampson is back and is signed for a reserved/future contract, is this true?

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Draft prospects

I am part of the media contingent, yes.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Alexmann —

RE: At No. 7

I don’t have enough information to say what I would do. Plus, until this team goes through free agency, you can’t know how the roster stacks up.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: QB

It’s based on the idea that the potential QBs available aren’t “that” guy. I can’t be 100 percent positive, but at 7, I need to take someone I believe is a lock to make an impact. Not sure these QBs fit the bill.

15. By Darren Urban on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: sampson

Not that I have heard.

16. By ken on Feb 22, 2013 | Reply

Someone get are new coach a cards hat

17. By sarah on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

We fix the line we have a running and passing game, going with a rookie 1st pick is beyond kooky and may I add expensive.

18. By clssylssy on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Geez…I don’t see any of the prospective QBs worth our first pick and according to NFL mock draft, the Browns are going to take Joeckel ahead of the Cards. I do like the thinking of using our picks to fix our offense. I see KC is even willing to trade their #1 however, I doubt that we have anybody other than Fitz, Peterson, or Washington who would be worth a #1 and nobody would be worth any of those players. We need to pick up a solid RB to help our run game. According to NFL Live, the Cards are looking to restructure Kolbs deal which sounds an awful lot like he will be with us again next year despite his being so fragile. Assuming his role would be that as a backup, I am hoping we can pick up a solid QB in FA and don’t waste our draft picks just to be throwing them away.

19. By Bill L on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

I see the Browns put out that they would be interested in trade offers for Weeden and/or McCoy……..that tells me they are pretty close to re-uniting Norv Turner and Alex Smith. That means one option for KC may be going by the boards. If Keim is seriously considering a QB in the 2nd…….and, he should play…..it seems closer that Kolb will be released and end up at KC. That would mean Joeckel at #1. Mayock rates Joeckel and Fisher at “close to Joe Thomas” level. If that is generally held opinion, I doubt Fisher will make it to the Cards. Somebody had better take a long hard look at Lane Johnson……can’t expect a “Joe Thomas” at 7, but a Very Good LT would drastically improve the O-Line. Especially if the Cards take someone like Schwenke(c/g) from Cal in the 3rd round. With Jones at LT there would be good competition for the RT as well as G/C…….a choice of good players from real competition on the O-Line………How Novel for the Cards………..Naw, draft a POSTER or a BILLBOARD……..Cards must be Cards…..Right?…….butts in the seats…….that’s what counts……RIGHT?

20. By philly cards on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

I’ve said it before other places. I agree with the gloves and I think they are the basic reason for the cardinal success.and then haley was number 2. Whiz was the leading reason we found a way to lose 3 straight with a great team.playoff losses in minnesota followed by numbskullery is there any other cardinal story? I don’t know one.

21. By Brad on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Matt Barkley seems to have very poor accuracy with deep passes, only good on short / intermediate throws, i’m hoping the rumours about Cardinals being interested in him is just a beat up, hoping Arians / Keim are just trying to spread rumours to shake people off who they really want…please don’t draft him, that would suck…

22. By Campbells on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Taking a QB at #7 would be an act of despiration. If we do it, shame on us!!!

2. Feb 23, 2013: FEATURED BLOG POST: 2/23 Arizona Cardinals news: Playing a rookie QB, optimism and more of the Combine | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Mar 26, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Drafting a quarterback — and No. 7