Maybe Peterson will throw, too

Posted by Darren Urban on February 23, 2013 – 11:01 am

Already, Bruce Arians said Patrick Peterson would still return punts. Peterson is too dangerous with the ball to stop doing that. And who knows — it might even go beyond that. Offensive snaps aren’t out of the question, Arians said.

“We have a group of receivers that are pretty dang good and I’m not sure which one of them I would sit on the bench,” Arians said. “The more he can touch the ball, that’s why he will be the punt returner. We’ll look at that.”

That idea works for Peterson, who isn’t going to turn down any chances to have the ball and make something happen. Last season, Peterson caught three passes when lined up as a receiver. That was under former coach Ken Whisenhunt, of course, but Arians is clearly open to it.

“I think Coach understands what type of player he has in me,” Peterson said. “I think he knows I have the determination to make something special happen when I have my hands on the ball. I’m excited to see what would happen, if he decided to do something like that.”

More work, besides defense and punt returns, can take the starch out of a player, especially one who is going to cover the opponent’s top receiver every game. Peterson said that didn’t matter. His offseason training is to prepare him for heavy workloads.

“I’m the type of guy that wants to do whatever it takes,” Peterson said. “I think I have the ability to play all three (facets) of the game, defense, special teams, and offense. I prepare myself. I prepare all offseason, get in all the running, to make sure my legs can handle all that needs to be done in a 16-game season. I put my body through hell and back to be prepared. I would be ready if Coach were to want to take it in whatever direction he might take it.”

Arians said he would have “some fun” with Peterson-on-offense concept. “I’ve got to see him throw too,” Arians said.

That notion drew a chuckle from Peterson. “I definitely can throw it,” Peterson said.

PPoffenseUSE

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Maybe Peterson will throw, too”

1. By andystandsup on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Would Peterson be considered a pro style drop back passer or the nouveau read-option type?
    And after last season, returning punts, can you mention to him to quit using the Japanese Blossom lotion?

2. By joe holst on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

no punt returns for td’s last year, lets fix that first.

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

andystands —

RE: Blossom lotion

Now that’s a way-back reference: http://deadspin.com/5340141/antrel-rolle-blames-fumble-on-his-silky-smooth-arms

4. By Andy Kw on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    You typed dnag, is that a typo?

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: typo

Fixed.

6. By GhostOfRobSelby on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Why not kickoffs? Seems he’d be more dangerous; I’d much rather see him with room to operate than watch punters kick it away from him all year.

7. By Andy Kw on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

This team has only 4 QBs to really choose from and no one more: QB Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, Zac Dysert, and Matt Barkley. I still prefer Geno Smith but if Manuel comes available then why not.

8. By Jayden on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren.
    Do you think the cards might draft tyrann mathieu in the 3rd?

9. By ored on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

combine’s just started,who knows how they’ll test out and then there’s pro days still coming,you can be sure of one thing,there will be surprises.but as always,neither speed,strength,or athletism alone will mark a great prospect,much due diligence required,health,attitude,maturity,heart of a warrior,so much involved,that’s why greatness is so rare.i’m sure some of these young men are close in many areas,just waiting for the light to come on.i would’nt narrow my qb choices to just 4 just yet,it takes pressure to create a diamond.

10. By Andy Kw on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Patrick Peterson steps back in the pocket, searches for a receiver, sees Fitzgerald, he throws a hail mary into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN.

Patrick Peterson in 1 game, 23-37 240yds 3TD 1INT, 8rushes 120yds 1TD. He also has an Interception on the day with 5 deflections allowing only 40yds go his way.

11. By Patrick on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Can you ask the powers that be how they feel about high risk players such as burflct, janoris Jenkins etc… It seems like the old regime avoided these kind of players. What is the new regimes philosophy?

12. By Darren Urban on Feb 23, 2013 | Reply

Jayden —

RE: Honey badger

Maybe. Who knows.

13. By ndpenner on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I think the biggest question this offseason is whether we make a move for Sandcastle or Tebow… :p

I really hope the Cards make it on to TV up here (Alaska). It’s sucked the last few years not getting to see any games…

14. By Jim Stevens on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Arians I think we have to go to a more productive offense by doing a lot of run pass option plays like San Fran does. Of course we do need a better quarterback than what we saw last yr. How could he keep playing Lindley at end of yr. and leave him in as bad as he was. Worst quarterbacking I have ever seen. The Cards never do the option play which can draw defenses going the wrong way. With Cards since I have been watching either throw or run no option. Thwy bring in certain people and telegragh the plays. thank you Jim

15. By The Alternative is Worse on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m surprised Ken Whisenhunt didn’t think about starting Patrick Peterson at QB last season. Maybe that could have helped us, LOL.

2. Feb 24, 2013: FEATURED NEWS ARTICLE: 2/24 Arizona Cardinals news: Manti Te’o talks, more Peterson on offense | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog