Sunday at the combine and Barkley chatter

Posted by Darren Urban on February 24, 2013 – 9:04 am

Sunday morning in Indianapolis. The media room is still sparsely filled, after a Saturday night when many were out — late — in a city populated with coaches and scouts at local establishments. It’s a fruitful time for little bits of info to be spread of the “I’m hearing …” variety and then for it to pick up a little steam, regardless of what it is. So then the tweet came down from @nfldraftscout: “Text I received from a scout this morning: Matt Barkley will not get past the Arizona #Cardinals at No. 7 overall.” Then SI’s Peter King retweeted it and it floats out there for everyone’s consumption.

Let’s get past the idea of whether Barkley could actually be the pick there for a moment (although I don’t see it happening, not that high. Maybe the second round, but GM Steve Keim wants a difference-maker at 7 and I don’t see how Barkley is going to grade higher than all but six or seven of these guys available in the draft.)

Instead, think these things: Why would one of the Cardinals’ scouts tell @NFLdraftscout (his name is Matt Miller) this? If it comes from another team’s scout, how would that scout know? Most importantly, how could this even be decided yet? The Cardinals haven’t even evaluated the quarterbacks yet. They haven’t done any draft grades, or have had any of the draft meetings for anyone higher than the fringe back part of the draft. If none of the grades are known, it’s impossible to know how the Cards will build their board. In short, it’s fruitless to guess where the Cards are leaning with that top pick — QB or otherwise — because they aren’t yet.

It is easy to play connect the dots with the Cardinals and a quarterback. Maybe Barkley impressed in the interview. The interview doesn’t show if he can throw a 15-yard out to Larry Fitzgerald, though. I do think the Cards will draft a quarterback. I do think there is a good chance it will happen in the first couple days of the draft. But I’d be stunned if that plan has already been finalized to the point of a definite player already.

I asked Cardinals coach Bruce Arians the other day about how all the coaches and scouts get together at Indy, guys they know, and what they talk about. He chuckled when I suggested info might bounce around. If info is discussed, what’s it really worth?

“I think any information you get, throw it out the window,” he said. “They’re lying to you. It’s all secretive.”

Tags: ,

41 Responses to “Sunday at the combine and Barkley chatter”

1. By red see rider on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

excellent post darren, thanks for keeping us grounded. Things are so fluid right now and these rumors only serve the “reporters” who are scurrying to invent stories for the sake of keeping busy.

2. By hummer53 on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

If there was a Cardinal “leak”, Hopefully it’s just a head fake move. Of course most teams won’t bite. I’d personally hope that Geno Smith is available at 7 which I don’t think he will be.
    I’d take him in a heartbeat. Only guy so far that jumped out at me in the combine is Cooper, the OG from North Carolina. He moved better than Warmack. Then again Warmack looked like he could block a small truck.

3. By andystandsup on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I believe the same scout reported last night that he’s 95% sure that Andy Reid will replace Ken Whisenhunt for the AZ Cardinals coaching job.

4. By Pete Dowdle on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I think anyone taking a look at the Cardinals last year can readily see that the main problem the Card’s suffered from didn’t start with the QB play, although that wasn’t great and suffered greatly as the year wore on, and especially after Kolb was knocked out and the team was left with Skelton and Co. to make something happen. The main problem with the offense, and for the QB’s, was the state of the O-Line. No QB, not even P. Manning, would’ve fared much better than Kolb did behind that atrocious, turnstile-like group of guys pretending to be QB protectors. With that said, I would think, and I would hope, that the Card’s best and brightest are looking at drafting a Cooper, Warmack, or whichever potentially great lineman is still available at the seventh pick. They want an impact player, a real difference maker; an improved O-Line would make a difference that would resonate throughout the rest of the offense. Hopefully, Barkley will still be hanging around in the Second Rd. Even if the Card’s manufactured a trade to move back into the back-half of the First Rd. just to grab Barkley, that’d make sense. But to take Barkley over one of those above-mentioned lineman at No. 7? I think only McGinnis or Green would’ve bought that hog, and since neither are behind this silly report, I’d have to say it’s Combine-hype and -nonsense as usual.

5. By gbrim on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

This QB draft class is just like the year Druckenmiller was taken in Rd 1, next QB taken was Plummer in Rd 2. SF talked Druckenmiller pretty then took him way too soon because they had QB issues. Hope Cards don’t make the same mistake this year. No QB is worth #7.

6. By Steve on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Great post as usual, I think USC QBs tend to get overrated anyway and I would be shocked to see Barkley go in the first. When you did the chat with Steve Keim he mentioned that it was possible but not likely in the future that Levi Brown would be moved inside, do you think Keim might be open to moving Brown to RT if they draft Fisher or Joeckle? Or put them at RT with Brown at LT which doesnt make sense because Bobbie Massie played well at RT and looks like a fixture there.

7. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I am watching the NFL Combine and many of my favorites impressed:
    QB E.J. Manuel and WR Rodney Smith were my favorites from the start and now i’m pumped up. I feel Rodney Smith is probably going to be the best receiver available in the 4th or 5th round so please, I beg of you guys to draft him. He is fast, has pretty good hands, and has the height to back him up too. He is the complete package. We should draft an Offensive Tackle first round only if we shift Levi Brown to guard. If we don’t move him to guard, there is no point on drafting a tackle. If we don’t move Levi Brown to guard, then there are only 2. #1 draft choices to choose from: OG Chance Warmack, LB Jarvis Jones. But if we do move Brown to guard, then the 2 draft choices for #1 would be Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel.

My Prediction on the draft if Brown is moved to guard:
    1.) OT Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M)
    2.) QB E.J Manuel (Florida St.)
    3.) OLB Sean Porter (Texas A&M)
    4.) WR Rodney Smith (Florida St.)
    5.) SS Zeke Motta (Notre Dame)
    6.) DE Devin Taylor (South Carolina)
    6.) RB George Winn (Cincinnati)

8. By Terry E on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I don’t see Barkley at no. 7. Regardless if it is an OL or QB it will be interesting.

I am intrigued with who Arians and his staff target at QB as he is highly regarded for his work with QB’s.

Most speculation pre-combine has us taking Eric Fisher out of Central Michigan.

I would like to see a QB with pick two and a WR who can fly in one of the middle rounds.

9. By clssylssy on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I always hate it when I get Cards news from outside the Cards organization and am always skeptical. Thank you for explaining the media shananigans however, sometimes they prove to be true which is really disheartening. I would think the organization would give you news first as an official media representative. I find Kent Somers seems to get the “inside scoop” which I find mildly annoying…not sure what his relationship is with the front office?

10. By rufus on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

This is going to be an unpredictible draft. I believe Eric Fisher and Geno Smith will both be available when the Cards pick. But who will they chose?

11. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Believe me, that Matts that come from USC are not so great. First it was Matt Cassel who started the USC Matt trend. He continuously struggles. Then comes Matt Leinart, struggles all over the place. And what do we expect from Matt Barkley? We expect a low caliber performance. He focuses too much on the screen and I don’t feel that he fits this system. E.J Manuel is the way to go.

12. By Bill L on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

I can’t see Barkley at 7……it is still too little time since Matt Leinart…..that would also mean the O-Line will be the same OL’ Crap for another year…….NO Billboard and NO Offense…….even the Cards can’t/wouldn’t do that.

I do suspect that Barkley will be the first QB off the board and it will be at 8 to Buff. Buff is a QB and some D coaching away from being a decent/good team. Buff will run a WC O, very similar to USC And I believe Barkley is the best/most ready QB in the draft. He’ll need a Very good pro day and lay to rest any questions over his shoulder and arm strength…..but, given that, Barkley at 8 to Buffalo.

13. By eric on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

chance warmack,OG-alabama or one of the top rated OTs should be the pick at 7………maybe Barkley in the 2nd if he’s there.

14. By Andy Kw on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Nevermind, Instead of Luke Joeckel (because he is going to be selected by the Kansas City Chiefs anyways), change it to Eric Fisher, I like him better anyways.

15. By Ldubya on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Here is my take.

IF the cardinals go QB w/ the 7th pick, it’s because – and only because- they fulfilled their OL needs in free agency. As a 10 year season ticket holder-I personally would prefer this. If they do pick a QB #7, I would trust that whomever that player ends up being, would end up being a day 1 starter and a franchise QB. Even Barkley. The combo of Arians/Moore is potent enough to even make good use of even KOLB! Tom Moore is one of the BEST QB coaches in the league right now, if not THE best! WE as Cardinal fans have never had this luxury before. If this all happens, I could see us getting quality players at most of , if not, all of our needed positions.

16. By ored on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

misinformation,just muddying the waters,rt.now anybodys’ guess is as good;mine-tavon austin @ 7 and bray in the 2nd,if you’re gonna be known for down the field passing then go with the top dogs.o-line in the 3rd & 4th,throw the defense a couple of bones,and top with a rb.subject to minor change according to free agency signing.a little outside the box,but that works sometimes.

17. By C on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Joeckel won’t be around at 7, and after the combine it’s appearing that Fisher won’t be, either. I would rather trade down than take Warmack or Geno Smith at 7.

18. By jasonsoroski on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Everything we hear during combine week has historically proven to be smoke and mirrors.

19. By philly cards on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Our problem with qbs is trust.
    We trust the wrong guys too much like skelton and didn’t trust matt. You had kurt running the two minute drill. It helped kurt and ruined matt. It doesn’t matter who they draft just use him like you plan to and don’t switch up. Keep kolb tho

20. By Red and black on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Shut em down Darren , this is the worst time of year for speculation nobody knows what’s going to go down but everyone’s talking smack, I.myself am taking a break until the draft no azcardinals.com no nfl.com , it’s all bs right now and I’m so sick of it back from the lockout days enough already lets just let things play out, see you in April.

21. By Bryth on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@nfldraftscout is an idiot. I stopped following him because he posts stupid stuff like this more than useful information.
    Anyways, I think #7 will be between Joeckel, Fisher, or Warmack. Im hoping our 2nd rounder is Glennon, Dysert, or Wilson. I think they’re all worth it for the 2nd

22. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Watching the Combine is interesting up to a point but seeing these “top rated” prospects play throughout the year means much more than how well somebody did on the Wonderlic or how fast they ran . A time trial isn’t going to have much meaning when a bunch of 300 pound linemen are on you, then it’s about how well you can think on your feet and work with your teammates. Here it is practically March, and the only word I’ve heard on the Kolb controversy is that we are going to try and “work with him” to restructure his contract or release him…I have a feeling that he will be with us again this season at great cost AGAIN! During the HC interviews it certainly seemed that Kolb was part of the package and that BA was hired to transform him into what the Cards THOUGHT they were getting when he was signed. Rather than useless speculation over who we MIGHT get at #7, I am much more interested in the talent we sign in the FA and who will be departing our roster either through trades or cuts. All this wild speculation is only exciting for about an hour then it becomes regurgitated hot air. Let’s move on to some substance.

23. By iammattyoung on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

This would be a great draft for the Cards to trade down in because of their desirable position at #7, the fact that this draft is heavy on the O-line, and that they have a number of holes to fill and positions to shore up: OT/OG, OLB, SILB, QB, RB, S. If they could, say, trade down to the 11th or 12th pick (SD or MIA perhaps hoping to nab Eric Fisher), the Cards would still be in line to take either Lane Johnson (who has been just as impressive as Fisher, in a higher division) or Chance Warmack. MIA has two second rounders, one of which is the 10th pick in that round. Combined with our own pick, we’d be able to fill two of the following positions with a high-potential prospect: QB (Ty Wilson), OG (Larry Warford), RB (Kenjon Barner, Gio Bernard) or S (Matt Elam) with a lot of potential. I’d rather have LJohnson/Warmack and any two of these guys over one Eric Fisher.

24. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

My First Mock Draft;

1) KC – Luke Joeckel, OT , I believe the chiefs get a vet QB like Smith or maybe Kolb and let Brandon Albert walk. Joeckel is the perfect fit.

2) Jax Jags – Bjoern Werner, DE. Jags could go for Geno or Star, but need a pass rusher is a bad way.

3) Raiders – Sharriff Floyd, DT/DE , They are loosing both starting DL on the inside. Floyd can dominate.

4) Eagles – Chance Warmack, G, High for a guard? Just think how many times Vick was hit from inside pressure. Whether its Vick, Dixon or Foles, Warmack is a huge up grade.

5) Lions – Demontre Moore, DE, The lions secondary needs an up grade badly although a pass rusher is a greater need with KVB gone and Avril a FA.

6) Browns / Chargers – Eric Fisher, OT Yes the Chargers and Browns trade first round picks. The Chargers knowing the cards like Fisher, jump up and grab him. The Browns, wanting either a 3-4 OLB or WR will wait at 11 for Patterson or Mingo.

7) AZ Cards – Dion Jordon, OLB , The cards need an impact player and Jordon is just the guy. A freak of an athlete, he can give the cards the needed pass rusher.

8) Buffalo Bills – Geno Smith, QB. Everyone knows the bills need a guy who wont turn the ball over and can compete against Brady and Tannehill. Geno fits the bill.

9) Jets – Jarvis Jones, OLB , Ryan can’t believe Jones falls this far and takes no time sending in his card.

10) Titans – Barktavious Mingo, DE, There once was a freak named Kearse coming off the edge for the titans. They hope to strike lightning twice.

11) Browns, Corderelle Paterson, wr, Trading down and landing the top wideout gives the browns a target for whoever is their starting QB.

That is my guess at this point of the top 10 (added Browns since I have them trading) I like the cards to sit at 38 and grab Tyler Wilson, EJ Manual or Landry Jones. Each guy has strengths to be a starter in this league and each has some flaws.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Three late round (rounds 4-7) steals at RB; I love these guys coming in and competing for the job right away.

Kniles Davis- I have been talking about him a while. At 230 pounds, he put up a 4.37 in the 40. His almost 1400 yards and 13 TDs in 2010 showed how good he was. Big drop off this year for multiple reasons.

Johnathan Franklin – A perfect one cut runner for zone blocking, this guy has the speed to hit a home run. His 1700+ yards and 13 tds pops out at you.

Le Veon Bell – Another big back at 230 pounds, Bell is quick to the hole with good feet. His 1800 yards and 12 tds show he can be productive..

When thinking of Arians offense wanting his Backs to block and not catch many passes , these guys have the size to pick up LBs blitzing. They all can run between the tackles and will give the cards a nice run game which is so needed.

26. By Bill L on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Rumors……Who’s Getting Alex Smith…..Rumor today is that SF has a Deal! Rumor the other day is that Cleveland is shopping Weeden and/or McCoy. Most speculation is that KC has the deal for Alex…….Kiss an OT gone at number 1, either Joeckel or Fisher. If it’s Cleveland, then Geno Smith and KOLB are still in play for KC…….If Cards don’t cut Kolb, and CLE has the Alex Smith deal, it puts a lot of pressure on KC to find a QB. If KC takes Geno Smith at 1, then there is a good chance one of the 2 top OTs fall to #7. IMO that is almost a no brainer……hopefully the Cards are doing some CYA…….spending an abnormal amount of time on LANE JOHNSON…….if neither of the top 2 OTs fall, can LANE JOHNSON be a VERY GOOD LT in the NFL?…….for anyone who cares about the franchise, that Answer is Critical. Most drafts that I see have him going at 11 to SD……so he is not chopped liver…….hopefully someone on the Cards is working.

27. By clssylssy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I have a feeling that Reid and Harbaugh have been at it doing a little “unofficial” horse trading and that Alex Smith goes to KC for a high draft pick, possibly even #1, although I’m not sure they’d give up getting somebody like Joeckel or Bjoern Werner. Andy has always believed in building his offensive and defensive lines first and I expect to see him staying true to this; he is in the catbird’s seat this year unfettered by some or the organizational restraints he had in Philly. I like The Draft Guy’s assessment but am not all that impressed with Tyler Wilson, I

28. By iammattyoung on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

REX BURKHEAD! I’ve watched a lot of Nebraska football over the last few years, and this guy is going to be great in the NFL. He did just about what everyone expected in the combine — he doesn’t have top-end straight line speed, but he’s an incredible athlete (top 5 performer in every metric except 40-yd dash and bench press, among RBs). Burkhead will be this year’s Alfred Morris — similar size, similar game — and he’s a big-time character guy, to boot. Hope the Cards have him on their radar in round 5.

29. By Louisville Card on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@ John the draft guy

I like your RB’s picks but the qb’s your picking besides Jones are huge risk’s. Jones is risky as well he seems to disappear in the 4th quater of big games. Wilson hasn’t been impressive either at the combine and he reminds me of Brohm from UofL when Petrino was there. Brohm to me looked a lot better than Wilson and he didn’t make it three years in the league.

Manuel has some skills but he’s a FSU qb and there has never been one that has ever been any good in the pro’s. He could be the first but do you want to risk your first or second pick on him I wouldn’t. If he falls to the third round then I’m ok with Manuel but with such talent in the area’s they need to fill in this draft you can’t waste a pick on a hail marry.

All the qb’s in this draft are in my opinion only stop gaps until 2015 when Bridgewater and Manziel come out. Teddy Bridgewater is by far the best option long term for the cards or Manziel if they don’t draft high enough to pick up Bridgewater.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Louisville Card

Of course they are risk. If they weren’t,we would take them 7th overall.

Manual is a poor mans Kaepernick. Like I said before, I didn’t think much of Kaepernick, so I am not writing off Manual.. Manual is a strong armed QB, who has made some really bad reads, especially the Florida game. But he is athletic and with time could be a good QB.

Landry Jones is the classic pocket passer. He reminds me so much of Carson Palmer. Strong arm, smart, quiet leader, can get rattled. But his 500+ yards against WV was impressive to out duel Geno Smith. He needs a clean pocket, but so does Tom Brady.

As for Tyler Wilson, he is tough, smart and is a true leader. Much more than Tyler Bray and Glennon. He was voted the best QB at the senior bowl week of practices. Even with an off year, he still put up 3000+ yards and 21 tds. Comp ratio is always over 60%. When speaking of systems, yes many QBs are system guys. Joe Montana was a West Coast system guy. Match his skills to Arians offense, and you have a tough, smart leader who can and will get the ball to Larry and Michael.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Louisville Card

PS – I love Bridgewater. I root for Johnny Football as I am an Aggie fan, but Teddy is the guy Id take.

32. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@John,

Can’t say I agree with Jordan over Jones, if we were to go that route. I like LeVeon Bell, but would need some road graders for him to run behind. However, that combo would give us the physicality we don’t currently have.

Agree Wilson carries less risk than the other QB’s mentioned. I like Manuel, but not in Arians’ offense. Glennon and Jones have the ability, but not the stones, for the deep drops so I hope we rule them out as well. Only see Barkley in a WC. Bray, too much of a wild-card. I could deal with Wilson at #38, but for his sake would go with Fisher @ #7 if available. Otherwise, a move down for Johnson makes a certain amount of sense, especially if we can add another second to do it.

33. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@iammattyoung,

Like your thinking as it pertains to the first couple of rounds. Not sure about Burkhead, though. Very productive at Nebraska, but small and injury prone in today’s NFL doesn’t bode well. Keep in mind Morris looks a whole lot better with RGIII than he would in most other offenses, but I like the comparison nonetheless.

34. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Mike,

Jordon over Jones.

My thinking is Jordon will get bigger and stronger and will be better over the long run. Would I be upset if they went Jones over Jordon? Heck no. Jones is relentless in the same way guys like Justin Smith and Chris Long are. They just keep battling till the get the QB. I’d be happy with either guy.

Bottom line, we haven’t had a good pass rusher since Berry in 04. It sure would be nice to get Kapernick, Wilson and Bradford without blitzing.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

John,

Will be very curious to see what Bowles will come up with in regards to slowing down Kaepernick and Wilson, which leads to my skepticism about Jordan. Seattle took Aldon Smith out of the defensive player of the year discussion in one afternoon, and Matthews managed to look even worse against the Niners in the playoffs. Agree about needing a legit pass rusher, but with the way our so-called offense looked last season, I can’t rationalize not taking one of the many blue-chip OL’s likely to be available, especially with Arians running the same offense. You are starting to sway me towards Wilson, though. I know there is the Petrino concern, but he does have the skill set for Arians’ offense and getting to work with Moore trumps even Petrino.

36. By sam on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you Ldubya but I think Matt Barkley will be a star QB regardless of who he plays for.And everybody that is talking about Matt Leinart and other horrible USC QBs this is a different person and you can’t judge all QBs (especially Matt Barkley) by others history and the Quarterbacks School /College they go to most of the time.I look forward to seeing the Cardinals draft Matt (my favorite QB in this draft and I am his fan) with the 7th pick.Cards aren’t my fav team ,but I like them and drafting Barkley will most likely help them ALOT and this will be one of my favorite teams even though I’m still a fan of them. GO MATT BARKLEY AND CARDINALS FROM HERE IN LOUISIANA AND I WON’T FORGET STAR CB PATRICK PETERSON MY LSU BOY!!! P.S. I am only 11

37. By Dave Chaney on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I like the last line of your blog the best and that comes straight from the horse’s mouth. I seriously doubt the Cards would use the 7th pick to take a chance on any of the QBs in this draft. This draft class is one of the best in years for OL prospects and what do the Cards need as badly or maybe even worse than a QB? It’s a no brainer as far as I’m concerned. The only other possibility and it’s not that remote is they trade their pick for a #1 later in the round and also get another 2nd or 3rd round pick for it. There is a lot going to happen between now and draft day. Thanks for the excellent feedback Darren.

38. By craig on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Please draft Chance Warmack! Cardinals always spend draft picks on tackles who don’t pan out. How about picking a guard you KNOW will pan out and pancake defensive lineman also. The guy is a for sure starter and the guards on this team suck. sorry, but true, watched them miss block after block all year. Terrible. Use your head and help this line by drafting guards. We have 3 tackles that can start. No guards I would keep.

39. By Louisville Card on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@ John

Bridgewater is great and will win the national title in 15′. He would win it next year, but UofL doesn’t play a team worth a top 50 ranking next year.

I guess we can agree to disagree on Wilson though, I just don’t see what you see. I do agree Bray and Glennon aren’t the answer. Glennon looks like kid that can’t gain enough weight to grow into his body. Bray just has never been good so why think he will suddenly change? It’s just a really bad year to be looking for a new qb unfortunately for Arians…

40. By ored on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

agree and disagree.running backs are awesome and even more than you named.we’ve already heard it more than once,the o-line is’nt that bad now levi is back,they need to coordinate as a unit,why do we want 4 or 5 tackles,agree we could use a stud guard.
    it would be totally awesome to grab jordan,also really like brandon jenkins later,he was out with a foot injury last year,but had 20 +sacks over his first two years.
    way to go sam,we’ll support whoever throws the rock,as long as they don’t suck,personally i like bray,he has his problems but anyone who can even come close to some of p.mannings records,well once the switch flicks on,look out,i think now that all the qb’s are under more scrutiny,he steps up his game and grows up.
    please get a run stuffer,even if he’s used situationally,we need a thumper.
    is it really true that the niners have 14 picks,if so with all the quality picks the rams have,we need to make ours count.

2. Feb 28, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | A restricted Hoyer’s potential place