Arians thinks accuracy can be helped — sometimes

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2013 – 11:41 am

Larry Fitzgerald was targeted 156 times last season. He ended up with just 71 catches.

Now, that doesn’t mean there weren’t times when Fitz could’ve and should’ve come down with a pass and didn’t. That certainly happened, and more times last year, I think, than in the past (profootballfocus.com had him with five drops last season, Stats.inc credited him with three.) But there were many, many, many more times when the pass went to Fitzgerald and the ball simply wasn’t close enough to even make a play on it.

This isn’t about Fitz though but the ability to make sure whatever quarterback is behind center can be accurate. There are many factors that go into an incomplete pass, including the pass rush and pass protection. But last season, none of the four quarterbacks who played for the Cardinals completed 60 percent of their passes. Kevin Kolb was 59.6 percent, John Skelton was 54.2, Ryan Lindley 52.0 and Brian Hoyer 56.6. These days, if you aren’t completing between 62 to 65 percent of your passes — at least — you are going to have a hard time being successful. It’s something to watch for with the rookies too, although given the upgrade in speed and schemes in the NFL, accuracy can be a projection for those guys.

The question is whether it can be improved in a prospect — or with anyone.

“I think you can improve all phases of their mechanics,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. “Some guys, if the flaw is so difficult in their throwing motion especially from the trunk up, it’s going to be hard. But the majority of accuracy problems are your legs. Guys overstride, they understride, they put themselves in bad positions and stress themselves. Fundamentals, that’s why golfers go to the driving range every day. Tiger (Woods) is a great player, Rory (Mcllroy)  is a great player, but they go to the driving range every day. Quarterbacks need to go to the driving range every day.

“You want to be more of a teacher than a swing coach. When you are a swing coach, you know you have problems.”

accurate2Use

Tags: , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Arians thinks accuracy can be helped — sometimes”

1. By SteveG on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I suspect that the drops increase by Fitz was a result of the surprise factor…Surprise that the ball was anywhere near him……

2. By Bill L on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Well, if you have bad footwork coming out in the draft……or, aready in the pros….one has to wonder…….what the heck were coaches doing in HS, College and Pros…….how well does the kid take coaching, if it’s not the coaches’ fault…..how hard does the kid work…….

As an Aside……Mayock is Killing us……it was good that he said Lane Johnson has the tools/ability/etc to maybe end up as the best of his top 3 OTs…….but, then he followed with a nightmare……..”It could be that OTs go 1, 2 in the Draft”…..Please NO!!!!!

3. By D on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I bet BA didn’t have to buy a beer this weekend in Indy.
    With the good OL and DE/OLB prospects in the draft, I say the Cards can wait until round 3 to take a QB (L. Jones). Have either Kolb or D. Stanton compete with Hoyer for the start of the season. I could see Kolb released to start the BA regime clean.
    I could also see AZ able to get a good RB in round 4 if they wanted to.
    Chance Warmack has to be more valued at his position than G. Smith who maybe there at 7.

4. By Alan on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I like Skelton’s big arm . If coach can work with his Mechanics then maybe we still have some thing there…

5. By D on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

K.C will take Jockel, especially if they trade for A. Smith
    Detroit and Philly could take Fisher, but both have needs on defense too. I don’t see any team taking Warmack before #7. There are a few good pass rushers that could be on board, so AZ has options if Jockel and Fisher are gone by #7

6. By joe holst on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

skelton throws like a girl, that wind up whip it motion is awful. no idea where the ball is going.. kolb holds onto the ball too long, it seems like the defense knows what they will do, run or pass before the ball is hiked. lindley is awful too, no accuracy or consistency.I want all of them gone

7. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Joe Hoist,

I coach a HS girls softball team and many guys wish they threw like a girl. I was watching an ASU game two weeks ago and realized , even though I was a college pitcher, girls like Alix johnson and Amber freeman have better arms than I did.

So, please dont insult girls by comparing Skelton to them. Skelton wishes he threw like a girl.

But to your point, it doesn’t matter how many coaches and scientist and doctors came to camp, nothing will fix Skelton’s and Lindley’s accuracy and yes Kolb is awful and holds on to the ball and stares at his receiver.

Prove me wrong Mr Arians, cuz I don’t believe you can fix any of those three either. Please just do as Nancy Reagan says, “Just say No” to our QBs.

8. By Corgon on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

is it just my immagination or the cards really could use one more big bodied pass catching TE?
    How do you see, is there a real chance we’ll go after someone in the 2nd or the 3rd round, or our other needs almost makes that impossible?
    I think the TE position is a need for the Cards, but noone mentioned this elswhere, so now i don’t know.

9. By Bill L on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Well, I don’t think Mayock was blowing smoke…….1 KC-Joeckel, 2 Jax- Fisher, Jax O-line is about as bad as ours……..their D is a ton worse…..but, they need everything and must try one more time to Save Gabbert. What better way to do it than drastically improving his protection. With Star Lotulelei banned from practicing at the combine, because of a heart condition, one of their defensive options is taken away. It must be Fisher or DT Floyd, and Floyd does nothing to help Gabbert. 3-OAK, Shariff Floyd DT. 4-PHI-they still need O-Line especially LT. If Lane Johnson is as good as Mayock and I think…….you can kiss him goodbye.

With NO LT available…….the Cards might as well take a Flyer on Geno Smith(I hope CLE got Alex Smith or we could just be screwed TOTALLY). With a great deal of luck Smith will be a pleasant surprise…….and be able to stay alive/healthy behind the O-Line…….if not we are basically screwed anyway.

I am very tempted to say…….TRADE up to OAK and get Johnson…….of course I believe you are just treading water without a QB AND a LT……we could come out of this draft without either……..like last year…..like the year before…..like the year before that………….

10. By Scott H on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Been a Cardinals fan for 35-plus years and I don’t think the level of play at the QB position was EVER as bad as it was last year during that time. That says a lot.

Fitz has been here with a lot of forgettable QB’s during his time, yet still always managed to be productive – UNTIL LAST YEAR. This – as much as anything – illustrates this point. Fitz is an all-world WR, is still in his prime, and was not hampered by injuries last year. So, what else could possiblly account for his considerable drop in productivity??? Answer – nothing.

This team had a REALLY bad O-line, no running game, and very poor QB play after the first month of the season. Even a historically great WR like Fitz cannot overcome all that.

11. By okcardsfan on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

i think Kolb is a good QB when he isn’t having to run for his life or has a coach that likes to play head games.

12. By liz on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

why didnt the Cards go after Smith from the 49rs/a QB is their first and utmost important problem to fix

13. By D on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

So, BA thinks Levi is a tackle. Does he think Massie is only a tackle too? One would think Levi would be the starter on the left side unless Fisher is available at 7, then one would assume Levi would be an upgrade over Massie if moved over to Right side.

Another Question, if Warmack is the pick, can Colledge play right G?

I would also be happy if they take E. Ansah or D. Jordan DE at 7 and L. Warford G or D. Thomas G in Round 2

Many options when talking about availabilty of OT, G, DE or OLB in the first 2 Rounds of this draft.

14. By Patrick Eagan on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

anyone who think John Skelton or Ryan Lindley can be QB’s are idiots. Kevin Kolb and Brian Hoyer should stay and get their chance. I can’t wait to see what the cardinals do for their other QB options. I finally believe they are gonna draft one in one of the first 3 rounds.

15. By DuaneS on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Personally I’m hoping for Warmack…I’ve heard to many Football experts say unequivocaly that he is the best “football player” in the draft. Remember when we had Dobler? Our guards were top flight and nasty and we won….

At this point the whole draft is a crap shoot as everyone gets sorted out. Not sure how it’s going to shape up. At 7 we will (should) get a real difference maker… one of the 3 LTs , Warmack or the other guard, one of the outside LBs, heck even the best cb in the draft whose name I’ve forgotten (Miller?)….At 38th pick we will still be able to land a good QB, a DE, RB, TE, Safety….you name it.

As for the line reshape, if you put Levi at right guard (or left), College at the other guard spot and Massie at RT, plus one of the 3 LTs at LT with LS at center…I’m happy…draft Warmack…he goes to RG, Levi, Massie and Potter to fight for the 2 tackle spots….I’m a fan of Potter, at the worst this year he’ll be a good rotational lineman…I don’t think we’ll keep Snyder unless a big restructure and for use as backup…he does play all three interior positions and can be a warm body at RT…
    Plus…and it’s a huge plus…..this year the line will get real coaching…..don’t forget how much that can help…

That was a little more than my 2 cents worth, but oh well

16. By luke on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

I want Barkley!

17. By ored on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

3 tackles already and yet to see what the washington kid brings to the table,just does’nt look like we’ll be adding another offensive tackle,early anyway,so maybe a pass rusher is in order at #7,take a shot at a qb in the 2nd,and stay true to your board after that,our only real strength is reciever,so the door is wide open.
    ironic that there may be a real playmaker available,but at a position that is our strength,but there may be one also at defense,now if things break just right,got my fingers crossed.
    one positive on the qb situation,at least we have the table set for whomever is next man up.would be nice to have a blanket of protection for him also and a reliable ground game to make him feel comfortable.
    i think with new coaching and attitudes,healthy bodies coming back,rookies having had a taste of battle,and a quality draft,we will be much improved,but so will everyone in our division,on that note-iron sharpens iron.

18. By bluepitt on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

Great!!!!!! Last time we got Kolb!!! hahahahaha
    “Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell, who became one of the NFL’s most colossal busts with weight problems and other issues, is taking the next step on the comeback trail.

According to draft analyst Tony Pauline, Russell plans to hold his own “pro day” sometime around April 10 with Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald expected to catch passes from him.

If Russell, the top pick in the 2007 draft, impresses, perhaps Fitzgerald will take him to Arizona with him.”

hahahaha even the writers think Fitz is the decision maker here in AZ!!!!!!

19. By bluepitt on Feb 25, 2013 | Reply

@liz,
    The Cards new staff knows Smith was a product of the coaching he got in SF, they had a leash on him so tight you didnt see Alex Smith you saw a super limated passing game that needed Gore to prevale! Smith is not a top 10QB.

20. By Rich on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

I agree with okcardsfan. If Kolb has a bit of time, if the team has any semblance of a run game, and if the coach isn’t a stubborn headcase engineer like Whiz – Kolb can be a good qb and very effective.

21. By Rich on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

rengotiate kolb and name him your starter. sign a hoyer or stanton as a credible backup. draft a qb in the 3rd or 4th round to com[ete with lindley as the young guy being groomed.

22. By Morgan on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

I’d like to see the Cards take Chance Warmack at seven, I don’t believe either Joeckel or Fisher still around by then. Then keeping a tight look on the board ready to initiate a trade up if it looks like Barkley will not be there in the 2nd round.

23. By Bill L on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

ANYONE that thinks Levi Brown is an NFL Tackle…….or even an NFL Player…..is a very suspect person…….make me head coach and I will squawk like a good little parrot……. Just a quick search turned up this:

Pro Football Focus, a site that grades every player on every play, routinely rates Brown as one of the NFL’s worst tackles.

In 2011, PFF placed Brown as the 61st overall offensive tackle after he allowed 11 sacks and 40 quarterback pressures. He was considerably worse in 2010, when PFF rated him as the very worst offensive tackle in the NFL. In that season, Brown 10 sacks, 10 quarterback hits and 50 pressures.

If Arians thinks Levi is worth a Damn………well,…..prostitute…..liar…..yes man….and much more come to mind……….ARIANS to carry on the tradition of Cards BS.

24. By Ed on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

On another note, I know everyone has thoughts on Tebow, but this is a serious inquiry I hope you can shed light on Darren… :-)

Should we read anything into this, or is this common stuff? Accoring to this article, QB coach Jim Zorn was working with Tebow this week, and said that he has not been coached well on making some throws. Does this mean that he is beyond coaching, or that he is worth the investment cecause he can be coached to make the throws? And is Jim Zorn even with the Cards? Thanks!

25. By kualla83 on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

I think you have to take Warmack or Jarvis Jones if one of them is still there. In my opinion they are the 2 best players in the draft and the Cardinals have a need at both poistions. Even if Joeckel is still there I am not sold on the guy. I like when I here scouts say a guy is a generational player saying there hasn’t been someone this good since(fill in the blank). Patrick Peterson was this kind of player and look how he turned out. Jarvis Jones to me is the best OLB since DeMarcus Ware so that is why I would take him at 7 as well. There is not a tackle in this draft that is on par with top tackles to play the game. I think we should pass on Fischer and take one of the above mentioned if they are on the board. In the second I think we should go Safety if the Florida Safety is still on the board.

As far as the QB position I think we should let Arians have a year with our current guys and see if he can coach them up or decide at the end of next season he needs to draft a QB. If Arians wants a QB this year I would say wait until the third round before taking one because the talent in the draft is too good at other positions.

26. By mikeinmesa on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Anyone who doesn’t thing John Skelton or Ryan Lindley can be QB’s are idiots.

27. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Bill L –

RE: Arians

You can criticize the head coach. Obviously, I’ve never had a problem posting such things.

But this is your one warning for the name-calling.

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Ed –

RE: Jim Zorn

Zorn has nothing to do with the Cardinals. Beyond that, it’s moot. Tebow isn’t coming here.

29. By Ed on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

I figured, but I am intruiged with this ‘under the radar’ stuff. I was confused why they said Zorn is a Cardinal’s QB coach . . . Thanks!

30. By Scott H on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

bluepitt -

I’m not saying we NEED Alex Smith but in response to your assessment of him, he wouldn’t have to be a “Top 10″ QB to be a MAJOR up-grade over what we have right now. By most peolpe’s measure – including my own – the Cardinals didin’t have a QB who would even rank in the top 25, MAYBE EVEN THE TOP 30, at that position last year. And you’re gonna tell me you don’t want Smith because he’s not a Top 10 QB??? Interesting….

If your criteria for our next QB is someone in the Top 10, then who do you think you ARE gonna get??? Let’s say the Top 10 might include -

1) Brady
    2) Brees
    3) Rodgers
    4) P Manning
    5) Matt Ryan
    6) Eli Manning
    7) Joe Flacco
    8) Rothelisberger
    9) Andrew Luck
    10) RG3 or Kaepernick or Russel Wilson ( pick one )

And…which one are the Cardinals getting? Look, Alex Smith is NOT a top 10 QB. Do you REALLY think you’re telling us anything we don’t already know??? There ain’t no Top 10 QB’s available, dude. But among the field of guys who could POSSIBLY be our QB this year, I don’t see many who come close to what Alex Smith has been the past 2 seasons. Have whatever opinion you want. The FACT is that Smith is a starting-caliber NFL QB who has played pretty damn well the past two seasons.

The 49ers think they have something special in kaepernick and they may be right. Then again, kaepernick may be nothing more than the latest version of Michael Vick – an amazing athelete and a Sports Center highlight reel watcher’s dream, but NOT a great QB. But don’t read too much into the fact that Alex Smith is suddenly available because the 49ers don’t want or need him. The 49ers would absolutely love to keep Alex Smith but the fact it, they know they can’t. They know they need to trade him AND they’re in a great position because they have a good, solid QB to spare at a time when several teams need one of those and very few of them are available.

He doesn’t have to be a Top 10 QB to make THIS team a lot better right now.

31. By philly cards on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Kolb improves with coaching.skelton and lindley are talent deficient. I base that on scouting reports and their performance as pros.

Putting levi inside is nuts. We can’t afford to operate as we are now. That was the problem with leonard davis we had no idea where to put him. So he failed. Levi was a monster at psu playing tackle.

32. By Safety Guy on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Can you answer why Hoyer isn’t getting much hype?
    A rating of 56.6 for one game, coming in cold, and minimal game planning, let alone….playing a team that was on fire, really isn’t that bad. Am I wrong?
    The guy was backup for a leading QB in the NFL and had to had practiced with some quality guys. Why wouldn’t this board be jacked up with the prospect of Hoyer staying put and being a solid leader for the Cards rather than looking at the obvious not going to happen scenerio of getting Alex Smith in a trade we can’t afford.

Any words of wisdom?

33. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Safety –

RE: Hoyer

I don’t know if anything is “obvious not-going-to-happen.” And while there might be a reason to think he could become something, a 56.6 rating is bad, regardless of prep time.

34. By Safety Guy on Feb 26, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the education.
    As you can tell I’m not a stats guy, draft guy, just a long time fan!
    That wants to see my team play well

35. By tentpeg107 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Wow, I’m really shocked that Arians said the legwork is the problem; too often that’s very, very wrong. Actually, in most cases the issue is with the arm motion or the QB looks “short-and-then-deep” when it should be the other way around.

Kevin’s throwing motion looks bad and he “looks short and then deep”.
    Skelton’s throwing motion (believe it or not) “unfinished”, I guess ’cause it is, but he does look “deep-then-short”. That is something I can work with.

36. By Safety Guy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Just busting your chops….obviously not going to happen!

On another note..read Hoyer picking up traction in Cleavland. Think the Cards may try to make a deal, or give him a shot?

37. By Safety Guy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

And traction with Vikes

2. Feb 26, 2013: 2/26 Arizona Cardinals news: QB accuracy FEATURED CARDINALS ARTICLE | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog