Exhausting QB possibilities and more scuttlebutt

Posted by Darren Urban on February 27, 2013 – 9:52 am

The idea that the Cardinals would explore the trade possibility for 49ers backup quarterback Alex Smith — as Kent Somers noted yesterday — shouldn’t be a shock (although I will admit I originally wasn’t sure if the Cards would surrender a pick for him). Nor would the idea that the Cardinals could/would/should look at a trade for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, a speculative concept that picked up steam yesterday after Tom Brady’s extension essentially made Mallett ever playing for the Patriots (barring an injury) unlikely.

The talk reminded me of something general manager Steve Keim recently said when it came to the QB search: “We will exhaust every resource we have.”

That, Keim said, included every draftable quarterback from the first round to the last, free agency and, of course, potential trade options around the league. There is a priority list. Given what is out there in both free agency and the draft (which, right now, doesn’t seem exciting), a trade isn’t a surprise. Besides, if the Cardinals were going to spend a draft pick on a quarterback this year anyway, why not deal one for, say, Smith?

A trade with the Niners seems unlikely, just because San Francisco would seem to have options and conventional wisdom says they’d probably rather not help a division foe. The latest out of San Francisco (via Matt Barrows) is that the Niners would want at least a high fourth-round pick for Smith. If the Chiefs offer one, that’s basically a late third, given their spot at the top of the draft. UPDATE: In the seconds after I posted this, Jay Glazer reported that the trade of Alex Smith to the Chiefs was done and would happen as soon as it could March 12. So there’s one resource off the board.

Mallett, given that the Patriots don’t have another QB right now and comes cheap, is going to cost more, I’d guess. At least a third, where he was drafted in the first place (and I have to wonder what the Cardinals thought of him just a couple of years ago in 2011, when he was available and this team passed on him three different times. Besides, his accuracy is a question despite his big arm and some in New England didn’t think he outplayed Brian Hoyer last preseason even though the Pats dumped Hoyer in favor of Mallett.)

Much will be speculated on right now and there will be a level of truth to most of it, because the Cards are as Keim said exhausting every path trying to fix this problem. No trades can come down until March 12, nor can any free agents be signed. The draft is two months away. If Kevin Kolb doesn’t return, I can see a draft pick and a veteran added. The QB question won’t be answered until it’s answered.

AlexSmithblogUSE

Tags: , , , , , , ,

78 Responses to “Exhausting QB possibilities and more scuttlebutt”

1. By carlo milano on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

darren
    wow,,,this photo of darryl washington aka predator is great,thank u
    i trust arians. about the qb he will chose,,he saw so many prospects in his life.he knows everything about qbs rbs wrs.

2. By donttakelosses on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Cards take OL round 1, Kolb takes a cut, 2nd or 3rd on QB, Hoyer or Stanton as 3rd likely as any scenario. Thoughts? Bets? ;)

3. By Bill on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

A 4th for Smith, a proven winning quarterback? How is that not a no-brainier, especially considering we gave up a pro-bowler and a 2nd to get the completely unproven and injury plagued Kevin Kolb?

Make this deal and never, ever look back.

4. By gbrim on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

We already have a strong-armed quarterback with accuracy issues–John Skelton, and he has shown a few brief flashes in the NFL (2010 & 11). Bring back Kolb at reduced $$, plus Skelton and Lindley (and maybe Hoyer), plus a draft pick QB. Let Arians sort things out. Is it ideal? No, because the ideal solution isn’t available this year unless someone surprises. This time last year nobody thought Kaepernick would make Alex Smith expendable, and the year before that nobody wanted Alex Smith. So, forcing the issue (a la Kolb trade or talking one of the draft class QBs pretty enough to draft #7) is something the Cards should avoid, however tempting it seems.

5. By beardinals on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I think Hoyer deserves a look. He “looked” like an NFL QB after only a week in the system. Either way, I think Skelton and Lindley would have to be odd men out.

If Kolb stays, there needs to be a quality backup ready to take over at any time.

6. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

With Smith now going to KC…. I keep having this feeling the Cards season is going to be worst than last year with nothing really changing in the QB situation. Maybe even DA will be given another shot…. I just don’t see anything positive happening yet…..

7. By Tim on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Cards need Tebow.!

8. By red bird of death! on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Geno Smith anyone? C’mon A. Smith would not have worked well here, we need new blood, and bold moves , keep Kolb, Skelton or Hoyer just pick one it dosnt really matter get rid of Lindley,draft Gino Smith , and maybe make a move for STanton , I guess the one if the three would end up being Kolb, so it’s Kolb ,Smith ,Stanton, any questions? …….or just grab Smith and Stanton and keep Hoyer or Skelton around…….and start Smith ………anyone?

9. By zonker on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

qb will be taken in 1st or 2nd rd. No kolb. to soft, can’t get back on field after injury. which is every year. remember andy reid did not want him then or now. he knew

10. By zonker on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

if they take geno smith he will start. they said doesn’t help for young qb to sit.

11. By Bill L on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

SF picks up another draft pick this year(34) and a conditional pick next year……SF gets stronger……..do the Cards have any plans to compete…..NOT this year but in 2 or 3……..this year would be blowing smoke……..hey, Levi will save us.

I saw on SportsCenter that “experts” were bemoaning JUST HOW BAD KC’s QB play was last year……..they put up a grafic showing KC had the 5th WORSE QBR last year……..guess who was #1………YEAH, the Cards.

It is already common knowledge that the Cards had the worst O-Line in the L last year……..worst QBR, worst O-Line………it would be interesting to know who has the PLAN………P-L-A-N……..to fix this mess……..and a little insight into what it might be…………………….eh?

12. By erik on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Thank god the Chiefs took him. Not saying he is bad, but talk about limited upside.

donttakelosses, you are probably right although I really at this point just want to try something unproven. Ride or die with a rookie!

13. By pacardfan on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Alex Smith going to the Chiefs sucks, however we all knew that was the most likely scenrio. With Alex no longer avb., hopefully Geno Smith will fall to the Cards. and they draft him since KC is out of the pic. drafting him. I like him way better than Brakely. However, therea great QB that’ll be in the draft next yr. by the name of Aaron Murray:) But with KC most likely drafting OL, Geno may be there for the taking. What do the Cards have to loss by taking him? OL needs upgraded, but the OL was hurt last year. Kolb…although he showed progress last season, he s injuried prone. (ok, yes he took a beaten last season, but that’s 2 yrs. he got hurt and ended his season.) SF…..wow, more draft picks buey, I remeber a team…Eagles, who had many picks before and they didn’ make it far, so all the hype for SF may just that. GO Cards!!!

14. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

red bird of death;

I know what Kolb has. I know what Skelton has. I know what Lindley has.

There is nothing out of these three that says starting NFL QB. So yes, start a rookie, bring in Stanton and let’s start fresh.

I’ll say this again, Kolbs stats;
    15 Games, he has played which is a full season (over two years). If he could stay healthy, his 15 games would have put him in 2012;

His 3000 yards would put him 24th in the league.
    His 17 TDs would put him 24th in the League
    His 58% comp ratio would put him 27th in the league
    His yards per pass puts him at 28th.
    His QB rating would put him at 22nd

And he is the better of the three!!

Maybe I just expect more. When you think there was 12 QBs who threw over 25 TDs this year, I just want more out of that position. I dont want a guy who for 3 straight years has had multiple injuries and when on the field has performed in the lower quarter of the league.

To be fair, Kolb also has been sacked more than any other QB during that 15 game stretch. (57) But I blame many sacks on Kolb.

Over the last two years Skelton has played 15 games and has been sacked 38 times.
    Lindley was only sacked 12 times in 6 games. Thats 30 over 15 games

Why does Kolb get sacked so much more than the other 2 guys? Kolb stares at receivers and doesnt read defenses. I have watched him run into sacks and not step into the pocket. A typical play is Kolb takes the snap, stares at covered wr, rolls right, is too slow to outrun anyone and gets sacked.

Is it the oline or Kolb, because 30-38 sacks is in line for most teams. BTW, Aaron Rodgers was sack 51 times this year and put up 4300 yards and 39 TDs. Rivers was sacked 49 times and in his “bad” year put up 3600 yards and 26 tds.

15. By D on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Tampering!!!
    Earlier in the week Urban you dumped on me about low balling NE for Mallett (it was my starting point in negiotions) Now it turns out that NE wants more than a 3 rd pick for him…a second…something the new GM in CLE who is a close friend of Bellicheck may do…it’s disheartening to see SF load up on draft picks…are we looking at a Walsh type dynasty coming?? Cards shouldn’t give up draft picks for free agents, they are too thin and need too many players to fill holes…(OL, RB, QB, DL, LB, S and CB)
    BA know’ s D .Stanton better than other coaches looking for a QB…go get him to develope…he probably is better than any QB in the draft….use your picks to fill other holes….

16. By sarah on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

If the new coach is a throw it down the field guy and test deep then Hoyer is out. Hoyer has not thrown that many passes in his entire career, although he backed up Brady he did not play much. Admittedly he came in and did ok when SF went into a prevent D and did make some IT’s however he is not our saviour. Lots of factors went into the situation at QB, one was coaching, secondly was line issues and a poor run game and third was inconsistent throwing when needed. Was it just a bad year ? Maybe but resting on Hoyer as anything more than a fill in is pushing it. I see the Cards releasing Kolb for a trade QB like Matt Flynn (too expensive for Seattle to keep) and sticking with Skelton and a draft pick, Lindley is gone and Hoyer will be in camp to push Skelton. I think Skelton could easily beat out Hoyer in the new offence.

Also of note is that Alex Smith in the first few years of his tenure in SF was a huge bust, it was not until the running game solidified that he came into his own. He was constantly pressured and made dumb throws at times, Singletary hated the guy !

17. By Kunark on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Well, the offensive line is in dire need of upgrade, but, with the 7th pick in the draft the potential to pick up a game changer at a skill position is also a possibility , thus i hold up to you Dee Milliner the corner from Alabama. If he is there at 7 i don’t see how you pass him up. It would provide an immediate upgrade to William Gay and would solidify the defensive back field with Patrick Peterson at the other corner position, just my 2 cents. Then in t he 2nd round go with the best available o-line…

18. By D on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

typo
    Cards shouldn’t give up draft picks for players….not free agents..( ha ha…)

19. By ALONEEAGLE on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Well in my personal opinion, the Cards once again waited and blew it again!!!! Maybe alot of people feel Alex Smith wasn’t the answer, I disagree. I believe he would have been the answer, especially under the fine tutlidge of Tom moore and Bruce Arians, he would have flourished even more than he did under Harbaugh and then we could spend our draft picks on quality O-linemen. Instead, the organization dilly dallied and A. Smith is heading to K.C. where in my opinion, he will do poorly. Alex Smith matched the QB Arians wanted. Oh well on to next year, barring a major miracle!! Go Cards!!

20. By Dynosoar on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I would love to see a Chance Womak and Edie Lacey on our team. The pundits keep saying this draft is OL heavy (sorry, couldn’t resist that pun). So which is most important, Lacey who looks every bit of a game changer as Peterson, or Chance who may have been the reason Lacey looked so good?

Wow, I trust those making this decision and am glad I’m not the one. Some believed Lacey would be available in round 2, I didn’t and still don’t. He’ll be gone by the 15th pick.

So, QB’s in the draft. I like, alphabetically, Bray, Dysert, Jones and Wilson. But I think Bray will need a year or two to learn, he’s another Skelton that is raw. As much as I like him, I have that fear, but then again, he won’t have DA to learn from. That should help right there.

I’m ok with Alex Smith going to K.C. We can do better, any NFL QB should have 70% completion with all the time he’s been given to throw the ball. Derek included.

Go Cards!

21. By clssylssy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I knew that Harbaugh and Reid would work this out as both are pretty sharp horse traders and this give the 9ers now 15 overall picks with #34 in the 2nd round from KC and another next year in the 3rd round. The 9ers now will have at least five in the first three rounds…anybody care to speculate on who wins the SB next year? Gees, it’s a good thing our new HC has a sense of humor!

22. By nodavis2000 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I understand some fans are frustrated with our QB situation, but stop complaining so much. I think it’s funny how so many people are now Alex Smith supports or wanted the Cards brass to go after him. But, a great new head coach (Jim Harbaugh) and Smith’s career is turned around. Did ANYONE want Smith two years ago??? No!!!

So please have more faith in A PROVEN QB coach (Bruce Arians) and let’s see what he can do with whatever quarterback(s) is on the team for the preseason. I don’t care who Keim brings in thru free agency or the draft. The most important thing to a starting QB is not how he throws, his accuracy, how he scrambles, his win-loss column, or even his TD-INT ratio. The most important thing is THE COACH in charge of developing him. Arians is a great pick up for us to fix our QB mess. So show some faith or hope towards the man and let’s see where he takes us.

Go Cards in 2013!!!

23. By aaron on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Red Bird —

It kind of does matter which one they keep, considering one of them is about to get paid 13 mil. If you plan to move forward with a new QB, there is no sense in retaining Kolb.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

D —

RE: Walsh dynasty

There won’t be a “dynasty” for a simple reason: Salary cap.

Eventually, all the good players want to get paid. A lot. You can still hit on your draft picks and win — see the Patriots — but the dynasties where a team builds and then rides the deep core roster are long gone. Let’s make sure Kaepernick can do it for more than half a season too.

25. By D on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Cards like Brown and Massie at the tackle spots. Let’s solve some problems/holes via the draft:
    A good guess would be that AZ will have to decide who is a better player at 7:
    Warmack or the remaining best pass rusher.
    Cards need a DE/OLB, they can get a good one in round 1 or 2.
    Cards need another RB–can find a good back in rounds 3 or 4 to compete with Williams.
    Cards need a Safety–can find a good one in rounds 3 or 4. (doubtful they can match offers in free agency for Toler or Sanders)
    Cards need a ILB–can find one in rounds 4 or 5. This player would have to play special teams and would probably mean AZ keeps Bradley.
    (yes I know I left out QB—I really think the best answer to that hole is free agency, either D. Stanton or M. Moore)

26. By Dennis on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Well the Cards lose again, this time the Chiefs get Alex Smith for a second round draft choice this year. I doubt we will find a better pick in the second round than Alex Smith.

27. By Kunark on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Bring back Kolb for much less money or cut him. Draft one of this years q-backs with 2nd round pick which ever one you like best that is available. Glennon or Ej Manuel, Barkley, Bray should be there at no. 7 in the 2nd round…Use your first round pick for the BPA…

28. By BungalowTapes on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Why would San Francisco even trade with us? They wouldn’t.

29. By Bill L on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Dynasty……….Give me a Great QB………Give Me a Top 5 LT……..Give me an Outstanding Pass Rusher……..Give me a GM that can evaluate Talent in the draft and in the L…………Give me an Owner who will pay for top coaches and talent evaluators………..and I would take my chances.

Colts “HIT” on Luck, IMO……..But Washington made a costly, but brilliant move for RGIII, ….OH they also invested a #4 Pick in LT Trent Williams in 2010….I wouldn’t call that “HITTING”……I would lay it more to the Results of Good Hard Work and Judgement……..I would take their future over the Cards for…….3, 4, 5….10 years……….Or More.

30. By lg on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Matt Cassel is a better QB than alex smith to me.alex smith was just on a better team thats it. but if we get matt cassel that is a upgrade to me.who could matt cassel throw to in KC anyway.

31. By Ed on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Alex Smith isn’t worth what the Chiefs paid for him. I think Arians is serious when he says he is still just checking things out. I agree that the problem lies more with O-line problems than QB play. I still like Skelton out of the three we have on the roster, and would prefer to see him start over ANY of the rookies out there. Lots can happen before August.
    AND IT WILL.

32. By Andy Kw on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Matt Cassel has talent no doubt. As you saw, after the departure of Matt Cassel’s offensive coordinator in his 2010 playoff run, Matt Cassel’s performance went on a down low from there. That proves that a good coaching staff can definitely benefit a quarterback. Matt Cassel should come here since his has a decent shot at the job. I like Kevin Kolb too but we will see. Stanton would be nice too so we cannot rule anyone out.

33. By iammattyoung on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I say CUT KOLB and see what happens. With the Chiefs expected to cut Matt Cassel there are now two occasionally successful QBs who can be had for less than what Kolb is set to make (the other being Matt Moore). Go ahead and cut Kolb, and let him see what the market will offer him. At least this way, we get out from under the 4 more years of $10mil/year that we owe him. This year, Kolb is owed $13.5 mil, with $6 mil guaranteed. If you sign Cassel or Moore at $4mil, you’re still saving $3mil.

34. By Konrardinals on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Maybe it’s not flashy/splashy enough but the Cards need to take Joeckel, Fisher or Warmack if any of them are on the board. Then wait until 2nd round, see which of the (really no better than low 1st round talent) quarterbacks are still available, and if anyone they graded high is there in the 2nd round THEN pick up a QB.

I want to find our new franchise QB as bad as anyone else, but picking Geno Smith at 7 would be a huge mistake.

Plus, think about this. Our top two running backs and quarterbacks all went out with injuries last season. That does not bode well for our O-line’s ability to protect the backfield. Sure we were without Levi Brown and Bridges, but a quality NFL team needs 6-7 O-line that can start to make it. Add an elite, young player at O-line, let our group compete for limited spots, start the best five and even if Kolb wins the QB competition, we’re FAR better off next season than if we stick with the line we have now and rely on bringing in a (huge) question mark in Geno Smith.

Also, since this is an article about Alex Smith, people were saying we’d be crazy not to pick up a “proven” quarterback… All I have to say is that if he is a proven quarterback, Trent Dilfer was elite.. No offense intended to either of them, but they win by limiting mistakes, and relying on the run game and defense, not by making plays. No one in AZ will be satisfied with a game manager after our run with Warner, Boldin and Fitz.

35. By Andy Kw on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

ARIZONA NATION: What do you think of my predictions?

John The Draft Guy; How about you?

With the trade of Alex Smith to Kansas City, that opens way for our second draft pick to be one of the top QBs in the draft: QB Geno Smith. It also opens way for QB E.J. Manuel. Since Levi Brown rumors of being guard probably won’t happen and with him officially going to be in the starting lineup in the 2013 season, we still have a high possiblity of drafting a tackle but it will be a weaker possibility with Levi Brown probably not moving to guard.

Here is my redo of the 2013 NFL Draft:
    1.) OT Eric Fisher (Central Michigan)
    -We need some changes to the Offensive Line to protect to Quarterback. Eric Fisher will be an immediate starter playing for the Right Tackle Position. OT Levi Brown will most likely be shifted to guard position replacing Adam Snyder.
    2.) QB Geno Smith (West Virginia)
    -He will be available just as long as Buffalo or the New York Jets don’t draft him in the first round. He is the most talented Quarterback available at this number 2 spot. His versatility and strong arm makes him an intriguing pick.
    3.) OLB Zaviar Gooden (Missouri)
    -He has been impressive at the NFL Combine. He was a leader of the defense in Missouri and although his size is a little low, his talent and leadership is needed to take this team to the playoffs. He will replace LB Paris Lenon.
    4.) SS Zeke Motta (Notre Dame)
    -I’m taking a huge risk saying this guy will be available at #4 but with his size 6’2” and talent, he will be groomed to become the successor of SS Adrian Wilson.
    5.) RB Kenjon Barner (Oregon)
    -He will most likely be challenged with the Philadelphia Eagles for this pick with Chip Kelly in place. His speed and our lack of healthy Running Backs will make this pick probably one of the best in the 5th round.
    6.) DE Devin Taylor (South Carolina)
    -Another amazing prospect at the NFL Combine. This prospect might not be available but I still believe the Cardinals have a shot at this Defensive End. We need help on the Offensive Line and I believe his will be a major contributor.
    6.) WR Rodney Smith (Florida St.)
    -His 6’6” size and his amazing ability to catch the deep ball with such long frame makes him a prospect many teams will look at. People might value his size a lot but his ability to catch the low ball will be a major factor that draws teams away. Rodney Smith would still be a steal if taken at this round.

36. By Campbells on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

We need to focus on the offensive line.
    What about this scenario? We take Fisher with the first pick, then trade-up for Chance. Our O-line should be set for quite some time.
    We wouldn’t have to make any desperate moves for a QB this year. Since our QB’s would have time to make decisive throws, their statistics would improve substantially.
    We would have a running game, something that has eluded us forever.
    Alex Smith had outstanding stats because SF has a running game.
    Another area we need to address is TE. Our tight ends need to be great run blockers, as well as prolific pass catchers. Start over at the TE position!

37. By luke on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

How the hell did we lose to the Chiefs!? I mean this Cardinals front office is just another dang repeat. Steve Kiem should be fired now. This is a absolute joke that we lost to the Chiefs. Typical same old front office waiting until the last moment with no aggressive offers.

38. By Dynosoar on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Dennis,

we didn’t lose, K.C lost. Without the San Francisco O-Line, I don’t see Alex Smith doing anything monumental next season. Just because we don’t jump doesn’t mean our front office is bad, it just means either we are looking somewhere else, the player/agent in question is looking somewhere else (Andy Reid) or a combination of both.

We made a serious play for Manning and lost that one and perhaps we could’ve done something more there, I don’t know. But I don’t see a no play for Alex Smith as a loss like Manning.

I am curious, however, what it is about Alex Smith without Gore, Crabtree and the S.F. O-line that you like so much. You may be seeing something I’m not, but with what I see I feel good where we’re at.

Besides, trades in FA can’t happen till the 12th of next month, so if there’s already a deal this means Reid’s boys are cheating and fines could be levied (if Goodell wants) and I’d rather have a Coaching staff and front office who follow the rules.

Go Cards!

39. By azfaninwa on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Why is the talk about Stanton coming from? His senior season at Mich State he completed 61% of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 10 picks. He had major injuries his last three years in college. The Jets saw him as inferior to Sanchez AND Tebow. Other than a fairly strong junior year he has done absolutely nothing to indicate he is a solution in any way. Can anyone tell me what I’m missing?

40. By Darren Urban on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Luke —

RE: Smith offer/GM

Yes. Fire everyone. Cards should have offered two No. 1s to get him.

41. By Patrick on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

2nd round pick #34 overall is crazy for Alex Smith. Plus you have to pay him $7M a year. KC did us two favors this offseason by taking Reid and now Smith.

42. By Mitch on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Lets see… John Skelton and Kevin Kolb(whos being paid 8 million a year) go into camp and Skelton wins the job, now Hoyer, or Stanton, who never got on the field are being mentioned and Skelton’s forgotten????!!!!! Guess thats what happens when you go to a small school,so he had one terrible game, on a terrible team, no line to speak of, and he s out of the loop. If he gets a fair shot,he’ll b the QB. WATCH

43. By D on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Reid won’t be able to throw has much as he did from 2006-2011 or A. Smith will fail.

Andy KW–Levi Brown is not moving to a G. He is staying at one of the Tackle spots. IF Fisher is the pick, then he would move to the Right side and Massie would be the back up. (potter could try playing G but unlikely being so tall)
    Fisher may not last until 7; Chance Warmack is the most likely OL draft pick that could be a All Pro. Take him to play Left G and move Colledge to the Right G spot.
    Geno Smith won’t be in the second round,plus he is not the type of QB that BA is looking for. I like your D. Taylor selection, he would be a good DE in a 3-4. Wouldn’t think they would draft a WR late, more likely a blocking TE.

44. By drummer-1 on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

@ Bill L

Sounds like you are one of the Cardinals biggest fan… Why are all your post so negative? lighten up a little, it’s not all doom and gloom..

45. By jeff condie on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

It’s not like it’s a huge blow that we didn’t get Smith…it’s just the feeling, the Cardinals are never really trying to put much effort into fixing the QB problem. I also felt the same with Peyton Manning (not a lot of effort there). Elway certainly was enthused. Arizona is one player away from being as good as any other yearly playoff team…which means a chance at the Superbowl….the goal is to just make the playoffs, anything can happen after that. We need a good QB to do that. Right now we don’t have one. Remember Kurt Warner and where he took us? Good coaches are being fired, Fitz’s talent is wasting away, players are losing motivation, fans are frustrated, The Cardinals are in trouble of entering an abyss called “the culture of losing” it’s a condition or disease which is very difficult to climb out of (just ask the Clippers) before they picked up a good quarterback in the name of Chris Paul.
    This team is very talented , but lacks one player (the most important) to make the Cardinals a winner again.
    I’m sorry, we can’t take another chance on giving this same group the same chance they got last year…most likely the result will be the same. Yes, a miracle might happen and one of the three all the sudden just happens to play like C. Kaepernick, R. Wilson or even Alex Smith for that matter (the one who creamed us last year). Anyway, paying big money and giving up what we did to grab Captain Kolb two years ago – yes, cost us dearly, but it has also paralyzed the entire organization, which I don’t understand. Winning changes everything and we need a different QB to become a winner. True, there is no sure guarantee about the “next guy” taking us to the promised land, but I don’t want to be lost, wandering around in the desert for 40 years either. What worries me most is there seems to be no sense of urgency with ownership and management…..just hearing the words “well, maybe we just improve in the other areas (offensive line) and the QB situation will work itself out” makes me cringe…we are out of chances. Another year like last year the Grim “losing culture” Reeper…will be knocking on the door.

46. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

azfaninwa,

Stanton is mentioned because he is a FA and knows Arians system. It is always logical to bring in those who know the system and can help those who don’t. Should Stanton start? Not unless he blows the offseason and preseason up. Most likely, he could back up a rookie and help him along.

47. By Credit Card on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

SF will not trade with a foe within their division. especially with a player tht knows their tendancies, formations, signals and so on. My opinion, I like what other teams have done in terms of having different types of QBs on the team. A strong armed QB (Skelton), H-back / scrambler type (Tebow), and a starter who the coaching staff feels his skill set will match the skills of the rest of the team. This starter is yet to be determined, and will come from the draft or free agency.

The coaches an GM need to have a plan, and keep their plan secret. I would guess, this decision is keeping Kiem and Arians up at night right now. The success of the Cards will come down to this decision. Kiem and Arians knows it.

48. By Jerrytown on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Luke —

Seriously dude? Who says we were even interested in Alex smith? First of all, you typically don’t want to make deals with your division rivals…and that means not only would we not be interested, but the 9ers wouldn’t be either. Second, would you really be willing to give up our 2nd pick this year AND 2nd next year for Alex Smith? In my opinion, the Chiefs got hosed in this deal considering the 9ers would have probably cut Smith if they didn’t get any trade offers. You clearly know absolutely nothing about the NFL….you and Bill L should take your negativity elsewhere. Keep in mind, our “terrible” front office ranks #1 overall in successful drafting over the last decade according to Pro Football Focus. Steve Keim is a great talent evaluator and a smart GM, which is exactly why he didn’t attempt to make a stupid trade for a mediocre quarterback. Get your facts straight and learn how this league works rather than spouting out your “same old Cardinals” crap.

49. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

Andy KW,

Here is my two cents;

1st round- I truly do not believe Fisher falls to 7. I also believe that between Brown, Potter and Massie, we have 3 tackles. I would look in the 3rd at Armstead or Kyle Long who could be tackles or guards.
    **I like the pass rushers like Jordon or Jones at 7. Geno Smith is the wild card. I am not 100% either way about him. It would be hard to pass on him.

2nd Round- No way does Geno fall to the second. If he starts falling, someone will trade up into the first round to land him. I still remember the 2005 draft where Rodgers was dropping and GB, who had Farve, grabbed him. Geno is not getting out of the first.
    ** Depending on the first pick, I would grab Tyler Wilson in the second.

3rd round- I can’t remember Gooden when I watched Missouri. But what I read is he is a 4-3 weakside LB. I don’t know enough about him to say yes or no.
    ** Since I passed on oline in 1 and 2, I would look at guys like Barrett Jones, Kyle Long, Terron Armstead, Dallas Thomas, David Quessenberry, Menelik Watson and Larry Warford. All these guys can start in year one.

4th round- Motta is the 5th ranked safety. Falling to the 4th is a stretch. We do need a safety and he would be a good one.
    ** Two LBs I would hope would fall to the 4th are Kevin Riddick and Sean Porter. Now Porter has played outside but I could see him being a DWash kind of LB. He is very good at blitzing and finding holes.

5th round- I dont think Barner is a fit. I like other rbs much more.
    *** Le Veon Bell, Jonathan Franklin, and Kniles Davis are preferred.

6th round- Taylor would be a nice pick but he is clearly a 4-3 DE. I dont see him as a 3-4 OLB and not big enough to be a 3-4 DE.

7th round- Fitz isnt going anywhere and neither is Floyd. If you go WR, it needs to be a slot guy. Too many other needs to go wr in this draft.

50. By Terry E on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

The plot thickens. If you think in terms of having someone you feel will be “the guy” right now it has to be Kolb. Not exactly exhilarating is it? If he is on the roster in September he needs to restructure his deal. I look at the Alex Smith deal kind of like the Andy Reid deal. We didn’t jump and I think we got the better coach. I am not sold on Smith but wouldn’t have been disappointed and feel he is better than Kolb but maybe not the best option out there. I believe if BA and the new Cards trust really wanted him they would have had enough discussion with SF to give up enough to get him. Maybe SF didn’t want him to stay in the west in which case we weren’t going to get him other than a ridiculous price. I think we need to sign Hoyer and it’s too soon to give up on Lindley. Give Skelton his walking papers. I think we should draft a QB with pick two but am also intrigued with Lacey. Womack, Joeckel or Fisher with the first round pick or possibly Dee Milliner. I think a QB at 7 would be a mistake. I also saw Matt Cassel’s name, big mistake. Kolb is much better IMO. I heard or read that is was a good possibility that Drew Stanton would end up our starter. Maybe he is “our guy” with Hoyer and Lindley or our round two pick to fight it out for 3rd. What does everyone think of Stanton? I think I would rather go to war with him than Kolb but am kind of on the fence. I don’t know that much about him but obviously BA does. Sign Rashad Johnson and Greg Toler early on also.

51. By jeff condie on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

What are you moderating in my post? And why taking so long? Really not any earth-shattering material spoken of…and no words with expletives were added. All pretty tame stuff I think.
    Thanks

52. By ored on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

our first two picks should be the very best for difference makers,not later round qbs,we have two quality (1st & 2nd) round picks,make them count where the best talent is,then pick a qb with the highest ceiling to develop,i like bray here,enormous potential.a no brainer guard would be ok at 7,or the 2nd coming of wes walker,but only faster,watch his tape,the guy makes cuts like he’s on rails,don’t see him as being single coverage ever,or an olb that is elite,only question is his health,but that could be 5 yrs from now if then.we should be able to get one of these in the first,if we should be able to get two the rest of the draft is gravy,even if we have to trade down and give up both 6ths and swap some positioning the draft is so deep the other picks would all be for depth with the chance of a hidden talent.imo of course.

53. By Coach Kevin on Feb 27, 2013 | Reply

I rubbed the Cardinal Crystal Ball and it appeared to me as a vision:

1. Eric Fisher
    2. Tyler Bray
    3. Corey Lemonier
    4. Christine Michael
    5. J.J. Willcox
    6. Bruce Taylor
    6. Tyrann honey-badger Mathieu

Conceive it, believe it, achieve it.

54. By The Alternative is Worse on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Oh wow there are some seriously hilarious comments posted here! I think some of you are forgetting that the Card have recently had a massive coaching overhall so it’s too early to predict how the season will unfold with or without any of our current team. Who knows, maybe a coaching change is just what some of the guys needed. There seemed to be a bit of tension coming from some of the team re. the former coaching staff. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Whiz and as much as he was in a difficult situation with a lot of pressure on him to turn things around, square pegs still won’t fit in round holes. I like Bruce Arians’ coaching philosophy and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with the team.

Now about the Alex Smith trade. It is super unlikely that the 49er’s would willingly trade their quarterback to a division rival. The only way the Cards could have possibly landed Alex Smith would be through free agency. Now if reports that the Chiefs have made a deal with the 49er’s are true (hey, it’s worth questioning. Remember how league sources were reporting that Andy Reid was a done deal as the new head coach of the Cards? And how about the Peyton Manning saga 12 months ago?), it would make sense. The 49er’s don’t face KC as opponents this season and the Chiefs have the number one pick in a draft that has no standout QB’s, a position that they need to fill as badly as we do. Plus, Smith is a guaranteed starter in KC and I don’t doubt that the 49er’s will want to do well by their (former) #1 guy.

But as they say, it isn’t over until the fat lady sings on March 12th.

Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer… Who could possibly know what is going to happen there. Again, only time will tell. But if they keep any of these guys one thing is for sure, we now have the sort of coaching staff who have proven they can develop successful QB’s and we should have (hopefully) a revitalized O-line. Big changes are afoot. The pieces will slowly come together.

Bring on the 2013 season!

55. By Konrardinals on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Cambells,

Have to say I like that idea a lot. Now it all depends on where Warmack falls to, but if he falls far enough to where we don’t have to give up too too much to nab him, that would solidify our team more than most may think.

I think it was 2 (or 3?) years ago the 49ers spent all their first 3 round picks on quality O-line and.. well… now they can block and play consistent offense.

56. By Dave Chaney on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I am not capable of predicting players drafted past the first round (the draft is always a crap shoot). So I leave that task to the “experts”. That said, my prediction for the Cards pick in the first round is (drum roll please)…Eric Fisher/Luke Joeckel. (As a side note, the Cards have taken an OT with their first pick twice since moving to AZ, Leonard Davis and Levi Brown. Neither player achieved superstar status with the team.) As far as other positions addressed, the most glaring are QB, RB, TE and S and I feel comfortable in saying the team will address those positions in the draft or in free agency. I don’t see the Cards doing much trading because to do so would mean giving up draft choices or players they need to keep. Keep up your great posts Darren. You are the man!

57. By Terry E on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

DRC or Toler?

58. By zonker on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

still believe if g. smith is there at 7. they take him.

59. By D on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I like some of your picks Coach Kevin. I would probably go with Warmack at 7. Not sure about T. Bray. Lemonier probably won’t be there in 3rd round. I like C. Michael at RB, I like J.J. Wilcox, not sure he will last until 5th round. 6th round selections are decent.

60. By CORMAC on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Geno Smith 2012 – Ht 6ft 2 Wt 218 40 yrd dash 4.59 sec

13 games passing stats

Attempted pass to completted passes 369–518

Total yards 4205

Completion percentage 71.2%

Touchdowns 42

Interceptions thrown 6

This kid looks pretty good, why not take a chance on a QB that has over a %60 percet completion ratio? Kurt was the last “accurate” passer we had. Lindley and Skelton DO NOT have accuracy. I mean I love John Skelton, a heart of a lion and a solid back up, but he will never be “GREAT”

At the right price, KOLB makes sense, like around 6 mil max. I think they should cut him and rework a contract based of performance and being healthy.
    KOLB may not be the best, but at least we had some wins with him. CUT LINDLEY for sure. Skelton would be a solid third string. We can keep him cheap. Check out Hoyer.

I think GENO is worth checking out . Hopefully they can pick him up in the second round, but I doubt he will be availabe then. He is going to get some media hype the closer the drafts get . YES we need O-line but this year it seems pretty deep in the draft. I am hoping we get this kid.

61. By Bill L on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Drummer……..Worst O-line in the L, Worst QBR in the L (probably related to the first)………..and I am NOT SURE anyone wants to fix it, or was fine with it happening……Just didn’t Notice?…….years of, at best, incompetence………Has it really ended? Or was it exactly what was wanted, Does anyone REALLY care about winning, or just butts in the seats……..past history is pretty damning…….give me atleast 2 conseutive years of execution of an intelligent PLAN …….PLAN?!!!!!!…..to improve the TEAM rather than the MARKETING and I might become positive…….FOOL me Once, SHAME on YOU……..FOOL me twice, SHAME on me…….OK?

62. By Buck on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Bill L – Why don’t you go find a team you can be happy with and stop dropping your gloom and doom on us?

63. By John The Draft Guy on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

CORMAC,

I agree to a point with you. Geno Smith will fall to us I believe and it will be hard to pass him up. But I would want to know his answers to these questions.

What happened to WV against good competition?

What happened to you in the Oklahoma, KState and Texas Tech games.

Tech he had 53% passing and only 1 TD against that red raider defense in a blow out.
    KState he passed for only 143 yards and 2 picks in another blow out.
    Oklahoma – You were out dueled by Landry Jones and you threw 2 picks in that game will passing % was 57%.

Everyone has a bad day but I would want to know why the bad days happen against good teams and you throw for 411 yards and 5 tds against James Madison.

Depending on his answers and the film study I would do if I was scouting him, would decide if I take him at 7. For me , mixed feelings.

64. By IllinoisCardsFan on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Since this is a full of suggestions and opinions. Here is mine. I say if the top 2 OL or Pass Rushers are off the board before pick 7. Trade down to 12-17, receive another 2 or 3 round pick. Geno smith isn’t worth #7. Reduce Kolbs salary(find out if he is in it for the money or is he a football player), Better backfield.. Sacks you can blame whoever you want. But if you cant run the ball, defenses are going to pin their ears back and keep rushing every play. OL I think just needs to refine their blocking techniques and better conditioning. As a former OL. My own experience. When a running play was called I was so pumped up for that play then passing every down.

Cardinals have their QB, they finally have the right Coaching mind to make him and the offense better.

Just my opinion

65. By clssylssy on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I hope this “new regime” will stick to the plan and fix our offense while “tweeking” the defense, taking the best player available that we NEED (always need linemen, RBs, TEs and d linemen) and not just taking somebody because they are there. We NEED a QB but not a mediocre rookie when we might get a good vet through FA or trade. There are a lot of talented players that are mismatched with the team they are shackled to and perhaps our “new regime” could explore options outside the box, i.e., look into trading for players who have good skillsets but are wasting away their careers with the wrong team and may be unhappy looking to make a change(Tony Romo to Fitzgerald would be better than Kaepernick to whoever). I’m also hoping that we consider taking a chance on Tyrann Mathieu as he could be a moderate risk/high gain player. Afterall, he’s had the benefit of P. Peterson’s guidance and mentoring. I think this young man will be very greatful to whatever team takes a chance on him and will repay them many times over with his effort and loyalty. Our coaches and the Cards family could be a very nurturing environment for such an athlete. Last year our problem wasn’t so much a lack of talent or bad coaching but a lack of depth at key positions. The roster of Free Agency talent this year is rich, I just don’t know that we have the budget and I do hope we are able to keep Toler and others. Just saying, we need to get creative…something the Cards aren’t famous for but could be if we pooled all the knowledge of our new staff and started working the connections!

66. By Steve-0 on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Chase Daniel…

67. By clssylssy on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

Hoping that since KC cut Cassell, he doesn’t find his way to Arizona. We need a clean break from Andy Reid’s cast offs!

68. By BIG RED on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

COACH ARIANS!! YOUR MAN IS JOHN SKELTON. YOU’LL SEE.

69. By Luke on Feb 28, 2013 | Reply

I made my post before I read what the kc gave up for smith. Instead of asking me if I knew the details of the deal or actually posting them,people just start insulting you?Even calling me a fake cardinals fan?I was expecting a lot more professionalism out of this website. I guess it’s just who can dish out the better insults.

70. By Ed on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

Skelton.

71. By Chuck 1 on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

I can see that there might be “confusion” about the meanings of the “Like” and “Dislike” opinions.
    For example, if a poster writes that they believe that it will take a couple of years for Keim, BA, the rest of the coaching staff and the players to make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl and fans “dislike” that opinion, is that because they disagree with that “pessimistic” opinion or there is another reason?
    I prefer the previous system where one who disagrees posts a rebuttal.

72. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Rebuttals

Obviously, there is nothing stopping anyone from posting an answer.

73. By Chuck 1 on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

I understand that.
    I think we are too caught up in the Facebook mentality.

74. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Facebook mentality

That train left the station a long time ago.

75. By Greg on Mar 3, 2013 | Reply

When will the Cardinals understand that we need to be able to run the football? Grabbing another QB who is “running for his life” or a RB who takes contact behind the line of scrimmage is a joke. We need to sign some veteran offensive linemen. Not journey men who have bounced around, no other team wanted them why should we. We need to take a o-lineman in the first round and stop being the laughing stock of the NFC West.

76. By joel on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

tebow

2. Feb 28, 2013: FEATURED POST: 2/28 Arizona Cardinals news: Reactions to Alex Smith trade, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Feb 28, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | A restricted Hoyer’s potential place