• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Big week for Cards and any contract talks

Posted by Darren Urban on March 4, 2013 – 11:32 am

On Saturday, NFL teams will be allowed to start officially talking to free agents for other teams. They can’t officially sign anyone until next Tuesday afternoon, but the window opens Saturday. That means if a team is going to make a strong run at their own guys, this is the week to do so. So for the Cards, who I think would like to bring back cornerback Greg Toler and safety Rashad Johnson, talks would step up now, I’d think. Same with quarterback Kevin Kolb, assuming there will be talks.

(Although unlike Toler and Johnson and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling, Kolb can’t suddenly start talking to other teams Saturday. He is under contract unless the Cardinals cut him, and thus cannot shop himself around.)

Again, and I go back to what general manager Steve Keim said a couple of weeks ago. This close to free agency, some players just want to test the market, unless their own team will overpay for the honor of not doing so. The market will set the price. Does that mean you could lose a player? Of course. Once he is free, any control of the situation is over.

One final point: Sitting with a little more than $5 million of cap space even before anything is done with Kolb or anything else buys the Cardinals some time. Kolb, who has a $2 million roster bonus due in another week or so, will have to be dealt will soon. The Cardinals haven’t said anything to safety Adrian Wilson about his future (via Kent Somers) but again, because the team is under the cap and functioning with Wilson’s current contract, it’s hard to know if that means that Wilson is simply safe or that the Cards will talk to him later about a restructure or something else. I wouldn’t be surprised at an influx of youth this season (more on that later today in a post) and so transactions might start following that path.

Tags: , , , , , ,

50 Responses to “Big week for Cards and any contract talks”

1. By Cardinals future owner 17 PHX on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

lets bring back breaston and cut doucet

2. By Cardinals future owner 17 PHX on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

trade roberts to oakland along with a draft pick. draft geno smith. sign steve breaston

3. By Steve on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Do you think there is a good chance the Cards go out and target one of the top free agent OL such as Andy Levitre of Buffalo or someone like KC OT Branden Albert?

4. By sqhead on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Youth is good.

5. By Christo on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

There are significant Cap savings available to us if we cut Kolb and/or Brown.

Removing Brown would mean we could sign a real OT ie Albert or Long.

Perhaps we could draft Kolb’s replacement in Geno?

Wilson and Doucett should be candidates for a cut / restructure.

As well as the biggest elephant in the room . . . LARRY. Whom we all love dearly and is an amazing talent. Yet here we are crippled by a WR’s salary. When does this get looked at?

Wonder what the FO has in store?

6. By andystandsup on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren , the way I understand it, NFL contracts cannot be restructured within a year.
    Wilson acquiesced and did a re-do last July.
    Does this mean he cannot do it again ’til July or is it the league calendar year which starts March 12th?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: FA OL

Just not sure. Given depth in draft, might not fit plans.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

andystands –

RE: Wilson restructure

From a good Joel Corry article:

“Players can restructure their contracts at any time, including multiple times in the same season. There isn’t a limitation on how many consecutive years a player can restructure his contract. However, once a player receives a salary increase when reworking his contract, he can’t receive another salary increase for one year.”

Obviously, Wilson took a pay decrease, not increase.

9. By andystandsup on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Not trying to be obtuse Darren, but the statement seems to be saying since Wilson took an annual salary decrease last July, the only recourse to salary adjustment would have to be UPWARD, which would be against the grain in what both parties would prefer.
    Am I reading this wrong?

10. By P2wicewazhannintho on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Draft Geno Smith you already got Fitzgerald and Floyd on the outside and andre the catch game is set up geno could throw bombs all day yadadasayin. plenty of tackles in the draft too make the move

11. By joe holst on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

If they can snag Toler or R.Johnson before free agency it will be a win.

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

andystands –

RE: contract

I read it as he can restructure down as many times as he would want.

13. By Chris B on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

although I like Breaston, he is having surgery (or is considering it) on his knee. Doubt the Cards run after someone with this issue. Plus Breaston will probably want #2 money and he would only be #4 here (behind Fitz, Roberts and Floyd).

Jake Long is interesting: if he wants franchise LT money, let him walk. If he could be had for Snyder money, I’m Ok with that depth there.

If Kolb is smart, he’ll stay. No team will pay him that kind of money. His only hope might be Buffalo, but after what they spent for Fitz, I don’t see them rolling the dice again. Raiders won’t pay him, not with the 3rd pick in the draft.

I think FA will be quieter than people think. I can’t name too many FAs from last year that really made a big impact for their team. Kerry Rhodes has been the best pick up by the Cards in (though he was traded for) a numbers of years (who was the best FA not named “Warner”? Colledge?) Don’t expect too much this year either. If history tells us anything, look closely at any FA coming from the AFC South (Indy in particular). Coaches tend to go for guys they know.

14. By Christo on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

We ain’t getting Geno unless we move up. It would also have to be all the way up to #1, pre-draft. Can’t move to 2 only to have KC ship the pick later.

How much is he worth to us?

Also Kolb would have to restructure BEFORE this would happen, otherwise he ain’t taking a pay cut; he’ll just walk.

So let’s hear it folks what is it worth? The Redskins gave up 2 extra 1RD’s and their 1RD + 2RD last year. Seems way to high to me.

15. By Eric on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

I can’t help but laugh at the people who want Breaston back. He’s a good guy, but his knees are shot. He’s looking at experimental surgery in Germany. How could you possibly want to trade Roberts and sign Breaston, who is probably damaged goods?

16. By clssylssy on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Regarding the elephant in the room…LARRY FITZGERALD is the best thing the Cards have going; he is the face of the Cardinals, and,one only has to count the number of #11 jerserys you see in a day aroound town, not to mention at the game, to get a small idea of how important he is to the fans. #11 EQUALS Arizona Cardinals!! Fitz is the reason people go to see the Cards play, it’s not because they are an NFL icon like the Packers, Saints, Patriots– little kids want to be Larry Fitzgerald. The days when players were associated with a given team for their entire careers like Joe DiMaggio was synonymous to the NY Yankees in baseball or Micheal Jordon to the Chicago Bulls in Basketball have faded into the horizon, and so it’s pretty special to have Larry Fitzgerald as a Cardinal. A lot of teams around the league are getting their highest paid players to restructure to help the cap and while Larry could go any where and get paid elite level money, sometimes it comes down to how good the GM is at crunching numbers and how decent the franchise treats it’s players as to whether or not players are willing to work with team around their contracts. The Saints just restructure five of their top players and the Flacco deal was structured to allow for minimal cap damage; these franchises BOTH have created a loyalty among their players because they have a good tract record treating their players fairly. Anquan Boldin said if the Ravens couldn’t pay him, he would retire because there was no place else he want to play–now that’s saying something! Fans can be proud to have a player respected so highly throughout not only the league but across the population in general as Fitzgerald who is more than just a football player but a genuine humanitarian and the kind of role model we need more of. The day the Cards trade/cut/ whatever #11 will be a day we can expect a mass exodus from the Arizona fan base! We need him more than he needs us and some teams just aren’t financially smart; you could give them unlimited resources and they still couldn’t make it work. Hopefully some of our seasoned “Yodas” can help this franchise learn the art of the football business.

17. By Campbells on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Fill key positions in FA with players that aren’t going to be available in the draft. Salaries will be comprised for the most part by bonus money.
    Allow Kolb to receive his $2 million, while we wait to see if someone better becomes available. If they do, Kolb only costs us $2 million.
    Release Wilson, and leep Johnson.
    Release Levi, and draft Fisher.
    Release Beanie, and draft a strong RB in 2nd round.
    Start over at TE
    No drastic moves to keep Toler

18. By Brett n Co. on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Cut Doucett, keep Wilson in reality he is the one that has stuck it out the longest in this franchise. Hate this if you want but you are right about Larry, but I would want to get paid til I see improvement, or at least something moving in the right direction. So can not blame the guy for taking the money!

19. By cobra on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Christo,

I see alot of people wanting Geno. He is not RG3 or even close and I sure don’t want to lose any draft picks on this years QB talent.

JTDG,

You seem to lead the bandwagon on QBs. I see where you are going with this, but damn, make up your mind. If we draft a QB in the 1st 3 rounds I’m sure you will be happy. Until then, you are confusing the heck out of some of the posters. Keep it up though, always interesting! There is time before the draft and yes, things do change.

20. By TJ on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

why is everyone so high up on Geno Smith? He wasn’t even that great of a college QB. We would be better off just keeping Kolb.

21. By DuaneS on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

I really think we should use this FA period for just adding some quality depth at some positions. The top 20/30 FAs are going to be way to pricey and when you get a high priced FA you can get a guy who doesn’t need to care about winning ever more….Albert Haynesworth?

I would think Steve B is probably close to being out of the league at this point.

Taking any QB with #7 in this draft is just insane.
    At our pick my choice would be Warmack, or BPA
    2nd and 3rd a LB and a QB in no particular order
    4th round and on…BPA

After Fitz I would think the next most “iconic” Card would be AW..and he’s still got something left…he was (in my opinion and I know nothing) not really appreciated for his specific skills by the previous staff.

I would think that Early probably on the way out from what I’ve read.

Of the two…let’s keep Toler…

The neat part is….FA is almost here and the draft is only a short time later….

THEN FOOTBALL

22. By yaahdila on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Cut Kolb, he cannot do any good for the Cardinals, need someone with potential not a has been.

23. By Dynosoar on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

john the draft guy,

thanks for your response on QB’s. I watch Tyler Bray and see all kinds of potentioal and I see a young kid who wants money more than his college degree (I may be wrong, it’s just what I see) and like you said, it does give me concern.

I’ve a friend who works at Neyland Stadium and has watched him for three years now and says the potential is there, but he doesn’t see the maurity. I still like him. Interesting to see where he’s drafted.

I can accept the “he was the top of my list, but since we weren’t going to get him why have him on my wish list” aproach.

It sounds like you want Geno Smith at #7. If he’s gone, do you take Wilson or Jones or do you go to Chance or Lacey? Apreciate it.

24. By erik on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

My feeling, Wilson is safe. Kolb will not be here come Tuesday next week.

25. By erik on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

And for all who say “this position is strong in the draft” or “this position is weak”, you just don’t know.

Not meaning to poke fun at people, but we can’t predict the future. You never know who will step up in the pros so if you see a guy you like, you have to go get him. It is a tired cliche, but people thought Brady was going to suck, Ryan Leaf good, etc., etc. We need a QB, just go for it!

26. By lg on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

time is money kolb, wilson, larry, all need to take a cut for the team and its time to do so right now asap.

27. By ored on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

linebackers 1st,another db,qb,offensive line depth,rb,in that order while doing the bpa mantra at the same time.if our scouting and management are solid evaluators,there seems to enough quality to have a successful draft.it’s not like we’re a bottom 10 team in talent,we just got bottlenecked at critical positions and we filled our britches last year.hindsight says it was management and coachings poor vision of what and where,along with a dose of stubbornness and confusion to top it off.

now new leadership,a fresh start the phoenix(cardinal)rises from the ashes,we’ve been closer to the top than the absolute bottom,so we’ve tasted some of both and still have players left from that run for the top,so i’m pretty sure they would rather finish up.if we could just unleash some more magical plays,like petersons 1st year,mix in a few more 4th quarter stands,get the most from our playmakers,some qb play that inspires, then one game at a time would bring hope.

stay healthy and play hard,looking for an exciting year.

28. By BIG RED on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

@TJ I’ll remind you after the season or before about kolb. Another year of riding the bench with an injury. The guy is not made to play a tough sport. How about tennis!

29. By ored on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

we have four offensive tackles,levi back from injury,was playing lft.tackle well before his injury and also was alternate pro bowl rt.tackle before switching to lft.,massie,who improved immensely at rt.tackle,potter who improved steadily and has the off season and preseason to do so even further,also a good run blocker,and finially we have the rookie from washington,like what little i’ve seen from him,looks athletic.so when do we stop with the tackles and give these guys a chance,besides it seems like coach likes what we have there,could use some mauler mentality on the inside though,and that’s where i think the coaching staff will put their stamp,even if it means a fresh face or two.this is’nt close to where we started last year,true the qb situation has’nt been resolved yet but i think that will also be shaped by the coaches.finally,by fixing the line we just made life easier for the qb and also the rbs,which in turn helps the qb even further.

without a standout qb for the #7 pick(but then again who knows,i’m sure coach is holding his cards close)seems line backer is the #7 unless maybe a certain bama db falls to us,imo of course and subject to change between now,pro days,and draft day.keeping my fingers crossed.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Cobra,

I’m just doing my part :)

Frankly. I watched almost every Landry Jones game this year and really liked him. I have said all along he reminds me of Carson Palmer.

Tyler Wilson was my choice last year coming into this year. I saw some things I didn’t like but was assured by people I trust in Arkansas that he is a tough competitive guy. I like that.

Geno is everyones top QB and the only one everyone agrees to be a first rounder. His production was incredible but faded in big games. If we had a Defensive minded head coach, I would pass on him. But with Arians and Moore, I think they can be creative and build an offense around this guy.

Not to mention those stats on QBs in the first 36 picks vs those outside the first 36, all leads me to Geno.

If I confuse a couple people along the way, then that’s a plus. :)

31. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

At #7, there is 1 player I am looking at.

1) Geno Smith

If he is gone, I am looking for a trade partner and moving down.
    I really like Tyler Eifert and would take him anywhere from 20 go 38. I would worry about inside pressure more than outside and would draft a guy like Larry Warfield at guard with my extra two.

But to answer your question;

What I know about BA is, he doesn’t run the ball much. With the colts, it was 34% of the time. With Pitt, it was in the 40′s. Not a run first guy. He used his TEs a lot. He pushed the ball down the field. So the QB has to make all the throws, see down the middle of the filed and be able to run an offense that may not run much.
    My worry for Wilson is not enough on his throws down the field. My worry about Jones is pressure in his face.

But I feel Jones is the better fit for BA.

32. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Dyno

One more thing, BA has shown in the past not to run much and he likes RBs who can pass block.

So Lacey is not in the picture.

33. By leeroyjenkins 24 on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

To anyone who think we should cut Kolb and draft Geno Smith, Barkley or any other qb in the 1st round. You’ve lost ur mind. How did our team look with Kolb under center until our OFFENSIVE LINE completely fell apart? There isn’t a qb in this league that would have played good behind that line. And honestly, if you think there is one that could, you’re completely out of your mind. How in all that is holy can we draft anything but a lineman in the 1st round?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack… i honestly don’t care which. Just draft a lineman!

34. By Terry E on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

I say Kolb is the key. First to keep him he has to agree to a reduction in salary. I’m not sure what a realistic agreement would be. Maybe 6-8 million vs. the 13.5 million cap number he carries. 4.5 sounds better but may not be realistic. I still say he is currently the best available option. Free agent or trade? Matt Flynn, Drew Stanton, Matt Moore not exactly the names that are associated with franchise savers. I wonder if Josh Freeman would be available? I personally don’t feel Gino Smith is a better solution than keeping Kolb and drafting one of the several QB’s that will be available in round two. Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Landry Jones or Tyler Bray. One or two of these guys has a chance to be better than good.

35. By wayne on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

? I know alot of us Cardinals fans (not myself) are set on drafting a QB between rounds 1-3, why waist a draft pick on this years QB class, if these QB’s would of been in the same draft as last years draft, Geno Smith would be a 3rd round selection and would of been the 6th QB taken. We shore up the O-Line and see what Kevin Kolb can do if he restructures contract. If he doesn’t play well then we draft a QB next year and the QB class is much better.

36. By Coach Kevin on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

My latest Mock

1. Eric Fisher
    2. Tyler Bray
    3. Brandon Jenkins
    4. Christine Michael
    5. J.J. Wilcox
    6. Ryan Otten
    6b-Vince Williams

37. By cobra on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

I think Geno, or any of the top tier QBs would probably work out. My problem with Geno is, with BA wanting to throw downfield what good is it to have blocking RBs? May as well turn the NFC West into a track meet. Except Stafford of course. I know you thought of Palmer at one point and I agreed. There again, the Raiders have alot invested in him, although, if they want Geno, he may come alot cheeper in a trade before the draft? We actually could live one more, yes, I said one more year and wait for the QB tallent coming in next years draft. Either way, I’m just saying, let’s not spend our #1 on a QB.

38. By cobra on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

One more thing, not a fan of USC QBs. Please, no Barkley, Palmer one year maybe.We should still trade for Osweiler, gotta give ASU something once in awhile.

39. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

leeroyjenkins 24,

Im crazy out of my mind then.

You see, I think you and the rest of the fans who think you will get something different out of Kolb, are the crazy ones

He is what, 5-7 as a starter. He has been a starter for 3 years(cards and eagles) and played 22 of 48 games. Somehow Joeckel will stop botched handoffs and having someone fall on him and injure his ribs when he takes off running. Somehow, after a fumble Joeckel will stop him from getting bumped in the head and be out the rest of the year. Somehow with Joeckel, he will stop his signature scramble out of the pocket when he doesn’t need to and get tackled by the feet. hit his head and be out. No, those are just things that actually happened in games that has taken Kolb out. His 57 sacks, over the last 15 games he played, is tops in the league but his counter parts Skelton and Lindley didnt get sacked half as much, but that will change. His 58% completions will change magically with Joeckel. Everything will be fixed.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result…….and I am the crazy one.

(PS..If I hear you say “well Potter came in and Massie played well for the other two QBs”, isnt that your way of saying , our tackles were good and with Levi back, we dont need to draft a tackle early??)

40. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

One more thing;

If Tyler Bray stayed in school, improved, became a leader, and didnt follow in the “Ryan Mallet” way to behave when trying to be drafted, he could and should have been a top 10 pick in 2014. Bad move coming out.

If he lands with a team with a vet QB like Mallet did, he could be one of those guys being talked about in trades, just like Mallet. I don’t think the cards would be wise to grab him.

41. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Cobra;

Just for you :)

SB Nation Arizona Mock draft

I never remember watching him besides senior bowl and combine. Inconsistent to me but lets cloud the water a little more.

7. Arizona Cardinals — QB Mike Glennon, NC State

Strong armed passer that can make quick decisions while vertically testing single high safeties? I think Glennon fits Bruce Arians’ style very well and thrives on getting the ball out of his hands immediately after planting off his back foot on three or five step drops. The Cardinals’ offensive line issues are dreadful, and Glennon struggles the longer the ball is in his hands, especially against interior pressure. (Much like Landry Jones, but the draft is deep in guards)

Arians did a terrific job with Andrew Luck last season in Indianapolis. Glennon isn’t quite as polished or talented as Luck is, but there are some similarities. They both have strong arms, and if given time to operate in the pocket, they are accurate with the football. And while they won’t draw comparisons to Robert Griffin III with their legs, both are capable of getting outside the pocket and making plays happen with their feet.

42. By clssylssy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

When looking at contracts, the FA, restructuring, etc., one only has to look at the contribution players have made. Kerry Rhodes has been a key play maker to our defense and a much more positive force than Dockett, although DD has been a tremendous force for the Cards and continues to be one of our toughest defenders. Where would we have been without Larod? There is a reason he is being ranked #6 among the top ten RB free agents, we need him more than Beanie who has not produced consistently since he was signed. Toler is another Card asset this team can’t afford to lose and Adrian Wilson has been a valuable asset on the field and in the locker room; is versatile and a good mentor for rookies.The teams that make the playoffs year after year have a certain consistentcy within their team leadership and make every effort to keep their main contributors while gradually adding rookies and building depth as they go along. Paying a player an outrageous amount who has not contributed because he can’t stay healthy enough to play makes no sense whatsoever and only holds a team back from growing. Cut Kolb and pay some of the Free Agents who HAVE contributed. Part of the professional athlete’s job is to be responsible for working out and staying fit all year around, hiring a personal trainer, cross training etc. I am sure Kevin is a nice and likeable guy he just doesn’t seem to be able to stay healthy enough to be a impact players. We need to keep our impact players!

43. By cobra on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

I meant “Bradford”.

44. By leeroyjenkins 24 on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

Ur right the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (I haven’t heard that 1000 times in my life by the way) Ur logic is to keep passing on olinemen apparently, like we always do. Look where that has us… with the worst oline in the league.
    Go back in history and look at all the super bowl champions who won with the worst oline in the league. Or wait… our line wasn’t terrible… it was Kolb who made it worse right? lol, give me a break man. You have lost ur mind. Oh ya I guess I should mention that kevin kolb had a 86.1 rating this year behind the worst line in the league. And apparently u think a great left tackle doesn’t help a qb? Ask Philip Rivers that question for me. Kolb’s comp % was actually 59.6%… which puts him .1% below Joe Flacco and .3% behind Eli Manning. Both terrible qbs who I’m sure all their teams fans are calling for their heads cuz of their comp %. NICE LOGIC THERE JOHNNY!

45. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Cobra,

I’m not saying what I would do with the rbs.

But between 34-46% of the time (only 34% last year with a rookie QB), BA will run. He said he will not throw to his rbs as primary targets, and expects them to be able to block.

So, I’m not looking at it as what I want but more of what we can expect. I wont be surprised to see Beanie and LSH not on the team, Ryan Williams starting and a vet like Peyton Hillis backing him up along with a late round draft pick.

Carson Palmer;
    He is owed so much money that he needs to restructure or be released. It is a tough choice for the raiders since the kid for Ohio St is a huge question mark.

I like Palmer and think we can win with him. But I have seen Dave Kraig, Boomer, Hogeboom, Dave Brown and a host of vet QBs come through here, which is great. But it usually means we dont draft a QB and try to build around a vet. After 21years of season tickets, it has only happened with Warner. Even if we landed Palmer, we need to think of the future.

46. By cobra on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,
    I wasn’t asking for your opinion on Glennon, I already know what he brings to the table. No, I don’t need a link.Hmmm, no more to say.

47. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Darren- With Whiz gone any chance Hightower would get a try out…???

48. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

leeroyjenkins 24;

As Richard Sherman would say, “You Mad Bro? ”

Before I get into it, I believe in improving the OLIne and I believe this draft is deep in lineman. Larry Warford, Barrett Jones, Menelik Watson, Terron Armstrong, Kyle Long and Justin Pugh can be all pros who wont be drafted in the first round.

But, in your anger, you forgot the facts. We have drafted first round tackles. We have the 2007 5TH OVERALL PICK on the team who is a tackle. (gosh, I hate when facts get in the way)

What is that definition again?

Drafting a Tackle in the first round isn’t anything we haven’t done before. In fact, we have done it 6 times in the last 22 years and 2 times early in the second. In those same 22 years, only once they drafted a first round QB. (Leinart) which then followed up with Duece Lutui in the second.

Facts about Kolb; He has had multiple injuries for 3 years. He hasn’t ever played 10 games in a season, let alone 16 games for 3 straight years. He has a record of 8-11 over 3 years as a starter.

Fact is Kolb played 6 games and was sacked 27 times. Lindley played 6 games and was sacked 12 times and he is terrible. Why was a vet sacked so many more times than a really bad rookie on the same team. Maybe it is Kolb. He stares at receivers and holds the ball, cant read coverage and rolls out of the pocket into sacks instead of stepping up.

The packers gave up 51 sacks yet Rodgers never went out injured, he threw for 4300 yards and 39 Tds. Rookie Andrew Luck, who BA said played behind a worse line, played every game, threw 4300 yards and 27tds. Good QBs overcome a bad Oline. Bad QBs make the line look worse.

Going with Kolb is like groundhog day. He wont last 6-9 games, comp % of 58%, get sacked 33 times, and lead the team to .500 record. That may be OK for you. I want more.

49. By Ickman on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Just a QB name to throw out, EJ Manuel like this guys touch on the deep pass and has very good mechanics on his throws. Liked him over all the other prospects

50. By erik on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

It’s funny how we all watch the same games but see something completely different.

Kolb sucks.