• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Who could work with Arians and (gasp!) QB talk

Posted by Darren Urban on March 6, 2013 – 4:54 pm

At some point, the constant offseason debate about who will be the Cardinals’ quarterback will end. In a perfect world, it’d be determined this offseason long-term somehow, but until then, I suppose a third of the posts here lean in that direction. So here’s a midweek base-touching on some quarterback-and-the-Cardinals topics:

– Former Colts general manager Bill Polian, now an ESPN analyst, was on a conference call the other day and gave his thoughts on what QB out there might be the best fit to work with new Cardinals coach Bruce Arians. Polian sounded somewhat optimistic Arians provided a little flexibility in that regard.

“I worked with Bruce for five years, and my feeling is that he can adapt his offensive scheme to pretty much any skill level at quarterback as long as the guy is a good decision maker, as long as he has the ability to see the receiver deliver the ball on time and do it accurately,” Polian said. “Those three things are a must for quarterback play.  I think whomever he has can do that, and he’ll adapt the rest of it.

“For him, that’s not hard at all.  He’s very adaptive and creative.  He’ll figure out a way to make virtually any system work, as long as the quarterback has those (three things) … well, actually it’s four things.  Process information, see the receiver, anticipate his coming open get it out quickly, and be accurate.”

Is that Kevin Kolb? Is that Brian Hoyer? Is that John Skelton or Chase Daniel or Drew Stanton? Is that/could it be Smith/Barkley/Glennon/someone else in the draft? That’s the mystery building up to these next seven weeks or so.

– Speaking of Hoyer, Peter Schrager writes that, given the QB market, Hoyer could be considered by multiple teams in free agency even as a restricted free agent. I went over this before that the Cards probably will tender Hoyer and thus would have a chance to match any contract offer he signs from other team. The soft QB market, both in free agency and the draft, obviously plays into Hoyer’s attractiveness but that doesn’t make him any less of a legit option. One nugget Schrager notes — Ken Whisenhunt was telling teams he would like to bring Hoyer with him in some role when Whiz was interview for head coaching jobs.

– As far as Kolb goes, the fact his roster bonus is reportedly due March 17 could make a big difference. It buys the Cards time if they want, or if Kolb doesn’t want to take as much of a cut as the Cards want him to take. Teams can talk to free agents starting Saturday. In that extra week, the Cards could know for sure if they have another veteran option in place instead of Kolb and let him go if they want. Or, after wading into the free agent pool, they decide Kolb is the guy they want, they can make moves then. I’m speculating on this right now — both sides have been tight-lipped over how this is going — but then again, it’s the season of speculation.

KolbtidbitUSE

Tags: , , , ,

78 Responses to “Who could work with Arians and (gasp!) QB talk”

1. By Gilbert on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

I say let Kolb walk take chances on free agency or draft

2. By andystandsup on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

How in the heck did Chase Daniels come into the conversation? Was there previous interest by Cards or an Arians affiliation?
    Still think Hoyer won’t receive the second round draft pick tender?
    Can Kolb be paid the 2 mil bonus, and held onto ’til end of training camp and released? More or less likely scenario, Darren?

3. By sesai on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

so darren, who do you honestly think will be our qb? Kolb has shown that he has the ability to throw the ball down field, scramble, throw on the run, and HIT FITZGERALD. my respects to john skelton brian hoyer and Lindley, but they dont have the same weapons kolb does. I hope arians can help kolb out. all we need is a O-Line and with out great D we can be an elite football team

4. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

With the possible exception of Hoyer who is still an unknown, neither Kolb, Skelton, Lindley:

1. is a good decision maker

2. has the ability to see the receiver

3. can deliver the ball on time and do it accurately

I’d like to see Drew Stanton brought in for the QB competition.

5. By Patrick on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Hoyer probably does not want whisenhunt to give him a ringing endorsement given whisenhunt’s track record for evaluating qbs

6. By aaron on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

So, can we stop with this “weak arm” crap about Barkley? Nowhere in the description did I see “must have a big arm.” I think we’ve proved at least three times in the past couple of years that a big arm with poor accuracy and low football IQ doesn’t work. I’d rather sacrifice arm strength to have a guy who actually knows how to play the position.

7. By cards4sb on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Look, when the Cardinals were 4-0 Kevin on the Kolb was the man. The O line was BAAAAAAAADDDD! As we all know. 18 sacks in three games at one point before he finally got hurt in the Buffalo game? Kolb can get the job done. He just can’t get hit so much and needs to stay healthy!!

8. By cards4sb on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

…and oh yeah, the Philly game was impressive. He got the ball to the Fitz-man and stuck it to his old team. Impressive. And, yes the Defense was fantastic.

9. By cards4sb on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

He also had a stellar game on the road in New England and beat ‘em. We all know it should have never came to a missed field goal. We know why that happened! Sorry for so many posts. Just thinking randomly…

10. By Smitty on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Carson Palmer and his big arm may be released soon. Sign him cheap and move on with Hoyer as a backup.

11. By ored on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

while it’s fun to pit wits with management over draft choices,free,agents,etc.,our information sources are no match for their years of connections and judgement calls,then why is it so many of them make such boneheaded moves wasting draft choices,millions of dollars,and years of team developement.sometimes it seems exactly like wall street and big banks taking huge risk with the assurance they will be bailed out when whatever ending they had envidioned falls apart.throwing tens of million dollar contracts at aging players not even in skill positions,how many points will they score or deny.i guess this is one area that we can kick back,grab a beer and say “i could’ve told you that was’nt gonna work”.i guess in some fashion it does work that the fans voice is heard,but it’s usually after the fact,poor team performance,re-building or re-tooling again,and shrinking fanbase.why not have a pre-season survey(another one),but this time actually implement the most popular one,whether it’s who to draft first or trade for or sign in free agency,just another way for the fan to connect,make a big deal of it,something like “you asked for it,here it is”.could it possibly be any worse than the qb,rb/o-line merry-go round we’ve been on,just one meaningful choice made by us each year,then if it sucks we have to take accountability,sounds like fun to me.can’t you just hear the announcement “by popular choice the cardinal fans choose——with their first pick in this years nfl draft”.at the very least it gives the customer another venue to express themselves,if we shoot ourselves in the foot at least we had the final say….and it’s still only one decision among many and you guys are the pros so make it work.

if you decide to play this game,i disavow responsibility if it blows,but give me due if in some fashion it works,lol.for once when things blow up you won’t hear “you suck”,it’ll be “my bad” instead,or at the very least acknowledging we were part of it.

i still say go with kolb restructured and hoyer backing up,draft qb in the third,get duke qb late or just get him period if he goes undrafted.

my choice for first pick-oregon lb if eagles don’t take him or byu lb,other than an olb would have to be cb from bama,all solid picks at #7 imo.

12. By Scott H on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

It really is too bad we cannot somehow take Kolb’s ability and – most of all – his character and put it into a body that is more durable. I think he has the skill and ability to be quite good. Unfortunately, the injuries have prevented us from seeing what he really is, be it good or not so good. Very frustrating, especially when you look at the luck Seattle and San Fran have had with their young QB’s.

13. By Terry E on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

I like Hoyer and what little I saw it looked like he did a pretty decent job of decision making and accuracy with the little practice time he had. I also live in Missouri and know how good Chase Daniel is, his height is the only question but he has looked efffective when I have seen him play for the Saints.

14. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

After spending many hours of watching film of every possible QB in the draft, I have come to a conclusion. I would take Glennon over the rest of the crop without hesitation. Watch a game of Glennon then Smith, then Barkley, throw in Manuel and Wilson and then do it all over again and Glennon just looks better. I wondered what I was missing that others saw or what I saw that others were missing, so I watched 4-5 games of each QB again and became even more convinved. Glennon could become as good as Schaub or Flacco. All these QBS have flaws (that is true every draft) but Glennon’s flaws are not greater than any of the others but his strengths are much higher. Don’t listen to all of the talking heads out there. Watch the games and compare. I am ready to “pound the table” for Glennon. Those of you who watch a lot of college film, go back and watch the QBS side by side and see if you do not come to the same conclusion.

Look at it from this perspective; If a healthy Kolb is the standard to beat, do Smith, Barkley, or Wilson look better than a healthy Kolb? I don’t think so. Glennon is the only one that brings anything new to the table, any possibility of an upgrade. I have become so bullish on Glennon that I think taking him in the 1st would be a solid pick. Before you freak about that, go back and watch the film and compare.

15. By Campbells on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Hope BA finds a guy that fits the bill perfectly

16. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

I liked Hoyer, but he seems as if he needs someone to point he in the right direction, maybe a teacher for QB’s? Enter Mr. Moore.

This is going to be a Most interesting season!

GO CARDS!!!

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Andystands -

RE: QB questions

The only question I feel sure about the answer is there is no way I see this team paying Kolb $2 million unless they know for sure he will be on the team.

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I cant remember a draft with so many different opinions about QBs. Depending on which board you go to, the cards are going to draft them all. You have most experts saying Geno is the cards pick, then I saw Merryl Hodge say Geno will be a bust. Then its Glennon or Barkley, ect who is the cards perfect fit. I cant remember a draft where the top QBs are ranked so up and down. No one can agree on any of them. I have never seen Mike Mayock so perplexed.

So to muddy the water a little more;

You forgot Jamarcus Russell.

OK, he is 300 pounds and maybe a big JOKE. But Watching some videos with him working out with Jeff Garcia, he doesn’t look that bad. By pro day, he is suppose to be 265 and ready to roll. (no pun intended) Ran a 5.2 and goal is a sub 4.8 at 265.

I heard Fitz will be catching passes at his pro day. Any rumors the cards scouts and/or coaches will be there? With so much debate about the QB spot, it is another option.

Long shot at best to make any team, but as I said before , can’t hurt to bring him to camp to compete for a spot could it?

19. By sarah on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

You really are promoting Hoyer based on marginal viewing time of play and limited overall experience. Holding a clip board is great in NE but we just had a peak at the guy and he was ok, not great but simply ok, so was Max Hall his first game at starter. Anything beyond that would be embellishing his skills at this point so take a clip off expectations here. Bottom line is there are a ton of Brian Hoyers out there, the CFL is littered with em. He got a shot in a nothing season and made a couple of throws, bring him to camp and have him compete. The league moves on PR and hype when it comes to qb’s, lots of them out there waiting to be discovered or make a comeback or reprove himself.

”Hoyer could be considered by multiple teams in free agency even as a restricted free agent. I went over this before that the Cards probably will tender Hoyer and thus would have a chance to match any contract offer he signs from other team. The soft QB market, both in free agency and the draft, obviously plays into Hoyer’s attractiveness but that doesn’t make him any less of a legit option”. Let’s not put the cart before the horse here and what Whiz says at this stage is kooky given how he handled things in the end.

20. By sarah on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Opps Peek not peak :)

21. By Arizona Fan123 on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I don’t care who the QB is. We need an offensive line first!

22. By chad on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Kolb has the three things listed above. he did win 4 games win 4 games last year

23. By nrock on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

why haven’t we heard anything about Tlyer WIlson, I believe he has the grit Coach Arian wants, he can be an good fit for this team. I think he is by far the most underrated quarterback in the draft.

24. By zonker on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

when kolb was in philly he had a line. still got hurt. then comes back to have a good game then 2 bad games. that is what reid saw. throws ball in panic & has trouble staying in pocket which makes it tough on the line. time to look to future & away from kolb. need to get one of the rookies. don’t think glennon. he was all over the place at combine with his thows.

25. By sezme on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

First, we really need to shake up our scouting contingent. Last year’s draft was rife with great Qbs and we wind up with Lindley?
    AND the Qb who kicked Lindley’s butt and who outplayed Kaepernick all 3 times they met in college, as well as any other Qb he faced in his 4 yr college career

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Russell

I’m not sure that Fitz rumor is true. And I disagree — the circus surrounding him CAN hurt. I’d have to see an awful lot in his workout to like to go down that road.

27. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Sarah –

RE: Hoyer

I’m not promoting him. I’m analyzing the talk around him. Last week’s post had to do with his free-agent status, because I had been wrong on that.

Maybe I am wrong. But Keim was eying him all last season as someone to sign. When I call him a legit option, it is as a roster potential. Not as the next Tom Brady.

28. By wonderingwhy on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Ok say we have a great line and often times even a good line breaks down and Kolb gets hit like he did the first season with us and gets a concussion for 7 weeks? What then? Whats the back up plan. We would have already paid him, we have a QB that is not contributing to the team and we are still playing our backup which has not been good. We can’t take the chance Kolb will be ok if our Oline makes a mistake which they will because it happens. Release Kolb and get somebody that does not have the medical history Kolb has. He is a great backup but that is the extent of it because he is damaged goods.

29. By sezme on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

…oops…(sorry, but I’m trying to write this on my half-smart phone)
    …4 yr college career, where he broke the record for most wins (50!) and fewest losses (3), that Qb who was touted as the best defense reader and pocket passer, anticipator and accurate thrower (75%, senior yr!), THAT Qb wasn’t even drafted!!! Our zombie scouts said he was too small!! Well, Kellen Moore is 6 feet tall, 203 pounds and he’s bigger than Seattle’s Russell Wilson!
    The Lions grabbed him up after the draft and are grooming him for the
    future post-Matt Stafford era.
    But Kellen is 25 and wants to play NOW. Maybe we could steal him for a draft pick or two. That’s more than the Lions had to give up for him. But it would have to be done before his brilliant play this upcoming preseason. Okay, this is my LAST post about Kellen Moore. But do yourself a favor and go to espn and check out one of his games or just his highlights vids. I been watching football for 60 yrs, and this kid IS “THE ANTICPATOR”!!!

30. By aaron on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I like parts of Kolb’s game, but he can’t get the job done. He misses on too many open throws, he doesn’t recognize favorable match-ups, and he gets sacked so much because he has no idea where his check downs are. He is athletic, but he doesn’t understand his offense or what the defense is showing him. Kolb is a solid back-up, not a starter who is going to take this team anywhere.

31. By eric on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

matt cassell,carson palmer or just go with kolb…unless there is a rookie they REALLY like.Does not matter if the o-line play does not improve.

32. By Dynosoar on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Someone once said, the reason our country’s in such trouble is the best political minds are driving taxis and cutting hair.

Sometimes when I’m making my voice heard regarding new Head Coaches/FA’s/Draft choices, I wonder if I fit the taxi driver/barber mold. HaHa.

That being said, I don’t want DRC back and I’d like to draft Tyler Wilson as QB, Chance Warmack for our O-Line and Eddie Lacey for our backfield (or rather, for first downs and touchdowns).

I know. I know there’s no way all three will make it past the second round (probably not even the first), but a guy can dream can’t he.

Fun times. Definitely fun times.

33. By Dynosoar on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy, and anyone else,

What are your thoughts on Dysert (sp) as a QB draft pick? Someone a month or so back ago (I have a friend who always says back ago and I’ve always wanted to ry the phrase) laid a solid case for Dysert. Thoughts?

34. By clssylssy on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Wow…now that’s what I mean by “thinking outside the box”! Kellen Moore could very well be another Colin Kaepernick under BA & TM. I shudder to think at the talent that has been passed by under the Cards scouting system *cringes*! While I get that our coaches and GM need “assistants” to help them spot college talent (geez, talk about a cushy job), it would seem that our scouting/recruiting system needs a dramatic overhaul. The next weeks going into the draft are going to be very telling as to what we can expect this season from the Cards, and for many determine if they go all in an put down the money for season tickets.

35. By D on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Free agency-
    If the Cards dip into this pool this weekend, I would guess the spot they would want to fill the most is ILB. Because Olineman, CB and pass rushers can be found in the draft. Cards are very thin at ILB with only Washington and Walker on the roster at the inside spot. Unless you spend a first round pick on a ILB, most draft picks won’t be able to start their first year. I would look for them to talk to one of these players:

1-Larry Grant. May not be able to start in SF, but not many LB’s could with that roster.
    2–R. Maualuga. This would be some what of a gamble. Has not been consistant but may just need a change of scenery.
    3– T. Spikes. Stop gap player that would do well against the run, could hold spot until a draft pick is ready.
    4– D. Ellerbe. Would want a large deal, probably too rich for AZ, but is a good young LB from the World Champs.
    5– B. Jones. Looking for a big payday.

36. By Bill L on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

My preference………1. Keep Kolb 2. Draft Fisher—Starting LT 3. Draft Kyle Long…Compete for starting RT or G 4. Draft Brian Schwenke….Compete for starting C or G.

If it works the way I suspect…….Fisher LT, Long RT, Schwenke C……..the rest can compete for the G and Backup positions………and, voila! a Good and New O-line to build on.

2014…..GO GET JOHNNY FOOTBALL…….then the Cards will be very competetive and have a very bright future.

or, draft(over-draft) Smith…….and get him destroyed behind the worst O-line in the L…….let BA and Keim stumble arround for 3 more years……then we can start over………AGAIN………I even have the BillBoard………THIS TIME WE WILL GET IT RIGHT!!!!! ………I PROMISE……..BIDWILL

37. By iammattyoung on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Arians can’t adapt his offense to guy if that guy can’t walk out on the field on Sunday. Kolb’s injury history should preclude him from the conversation. Same goes for Beanie at the RB position. We need resilient players out there if we are ever going to develop as an offense. I’m fine with Hoyer, I’m happier with Matt Moore. Most of all, I’m happy for the money we’ll save by cutting Kolb.

38. By Dave Chaney on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I hope the Cards draft scenario goes something like this. 1st pick would be on the OL (unless they get what they need via free agency and in that case possibly trade down to get an extra pick). 2nd pick would be a QB/RB/TE because some fairly decent prospects will fall into the 2nd round. 3rd pick and lower will address some more offensive needs as well as S/CB issues. I would really shy away from taking a QB with the 1st pick unless the coach feels Smith or Barkley have the tools that will allow him to develop one of them into a starter. If Kolb takes a cut in pay, keep him and Hoyer. If he doesn’t, for sure dump him, Skelton and Lindley. I truly hope our needs at OL and our DB issues can be addressed somewhat in free agency.

39. By Brad O'Neill on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I dont care who they pick i just want them to pick him early and build the team around his strengths. no more of the ken whisenhunt who is going to be our guy bs. Make a decision and work with it. anyone of our qbs would have been better had the decision been made early enough to play to his strengths the last few years.

40. By Brian R. on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

keep kolb in. he did GREAT behind the weakest line in the NFL! 8 tds and 3 interceptions? what more can you ask for??? he was getting sacked and he still managed to get the job done…

keep kolb.

41. By erik on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Enough about Kolb! He will never play 16 games, ever! We are going to draft a QB so just drop it!

42. By Coach Kevin on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

WATCH OUT FOR MATT SCOTT

Matt Scott/QB/Arizona blowing up his pro-day and looking great. Scouts at Arizona pro-day now saying 3rd round a possibility…

43. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

@Mark in Chandler,

I watched a few, 15-minute highlights of him as well (FSU, NC, Clemson) and I don’t know how you could have watched the Clemson highlights without seeing the flaws in Glennon’s game. Clean pocket, steps up nicely and delivers well. Put anything that even resembles pressure, and watch him step out, instead of in, to every throw that leaves his hand. Footwork just turns to hell. Big, big flaw to fix there, especially if he comes here, to a projected, down-the-field offense with a very iffy offensive line. Checked down a lot against FSU. Granted, in many cases it was necessary as they drop seven into coverage pretty consistently, but clearly missed some open reads down the field (as the announcers were quick to illustrate).

First rounder on this guy? Crazy idea, especially with as many polished OL’s that are available. Second round? I wouldn’t, but can sort of see the argument there. My main problem, is in spite of his physical attributes, he looks more comfortable throwing underneath than down the field. Can’t see the fit here.

44. By Joe Luchenta on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Ok off topic but its frustrating me. Read Seahawks going after John Abraham and Charles Woodson . Why doesn’t this club show some interest in these guys? Seahawks and 49ers just keep loading up sticking us in the basement

45. By joe67 on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

I always liked Chase Daniels.

46. By tyman on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Kolb is more of a dink and dunk short throw west coast QB. With Bruce being the coach, I’d think Kolbs days are at best numbered. I think all cards fans would agree that the other QB’s on our rosters are not starter quality, so let find the guy. Keim could be the greatest GM ever if he could pick THE GUY in his first off-season as GM.

Who’s the guy Mr Keim?

47. By Andy Kw on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Let me tell you something, there are only 2 Quarterbacks capable of being elite and they are Geno Smith and E.J Manuel. There is one Quarterback in this draft that could take this team the playoffs for years to come and that is West Virginia QB Geno Smith. Matt Barkley is more of a New York Jets type of team and I don’t think we will be happy once this team finds out that he is not capable to leading this team to the playoffs. We need a balance of versatility, speed, agility, strength, and accuracy. That can all be obtained by drafting Quarterback Geno Smith. Lets make the Geno Smith project the Bruce Arian’s project. From the development of Ben Roethlisberger to the Andrew Luck prospects, we can make Geno Smith a 15-16 year franchise Quarterback which we have not found in a long time since the Jim Hart era. The first year of his career could be rough but he future would be extremely bright with the Arizona Cardinals with Pro Bowl Wide Receiver Larry Fitzgerald, and #1 draft pick in 2012 Michael Floyd. I would love to see Geno Smith in the pocket and launching the hail & mary into the endzone to Larry Fitzgerald for the Super Bowl winning touchdown. Draft him #1 whether you start him this year or not

48. By cobra on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Everyone must be bored.Most of the comments do not make any sense.It’s that time of year I guess! Have fun.

49. By vibramnation on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Amen! Anybody pounding their fists for a QB or a RB and not addressing the line first and foremost is in for more of the same. We can go through a dozen quarterbacks but until the line is fixed we’ll never be able to accurately judge them.

50. By vibramnation on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Haha… Phillys line has injured Kolb, Mike Vick, and Donovan McNabb. That line in Philly has been no better than the Cardinals during the last 5 seasons… You clearly don’t watch football!

51. By Nor cal cards fan on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Urb- What are your thoughts on the team more than likely moving training camp from Flagstaff to Glendale? Are u in favor of the move?

52. By carlo milan italy on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

darren
    could u explain why free agency will start 9th of march but players can be signed jsut from 12th of march?

53. By ored on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

new year,new coaching staff,players starting off healthy,new offensive gameplan,so why would we think same old same old,we got the coach we want,someone who knows qbs and seen more than we ever will,also took a largley rookie/untested o-line to the play offs( i know a large part of that was luck,lol),but he believes our o-line will be fine with a few tweaks and i think with levi back,potter and massie 1 yr.experience,snyder healthy,new coaching and all that goes with it(nasty attitude,weaknesses strengthened,and tweaking game plan)i totally agree,

also a renewed emphasis on running game,every body blocking,backs and tightends make it a team effort,not the attitude that rbs just run,recievers just catch,but everybody blocks,something like “dude i got your back instead of hey,you’re the guard,you were supposed to block him”,maybe that’s simplified but there is a reason every player on the team gets a ring not just the stars…it’s teamwork,that’s why leaders,captains,guys strong in the locker room are invaluable,they pull everyone together,one strand by itself is easily broken,but many together makes a rope.

coach will figure out the qb situation whether it’s door “b” or whatever and i’m totally sure he will either draft for the future or have the back-up situation covered,take one more look at his resume.he will have his coaches on the same page, same as they will have the players on the same page,they all have their “to do” lists whether it’s special teams,defense,or offense.he’s already said he wants to play to each players strength i.e. running backs won’t be thrown to more than recievers,if they are a running back,then they need to play to their strength with the mind set everyone blocks to protect the qb or to spring a ball carrier.something else is, you should’nt judge by past performance,all new gameplan,really the only thing unchanged will be majority of players,but good thing about people is we adapt,big reason why we improve this year,i also believe the team outlook and locker room will be better also.just winning alone guarantees that,happy team..happy fans,,,cardinals rise from the ashes.

54. By sezme on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Ask Nate Potter about Kellen Moore. He was Moore’s “protector” for years at BSU.
    (okay, I lied about the “last K. Moore post” thing, but I have OCD. Sue me…)

55. By Credit Card on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Whether we get players from the draft or free agency, I hope the coaches and management keep their thoughts close to their vest, and don’t lead on as to what is a need to another club. If they state they want a QB (like they did a couple years ago), then expect to pay a premium, and get little value.

As for our next QB’s, I hope we get three totally different tpes of players. Quick read and throw type guy, strong arm guy, and a scrambler / read option type guy. Doing this, will at least make our opponents spend practice time for each variation of QB to expect.

Arians and company are facing some tough decisions.

56. By P2wicewazhannintho on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

dont worry fans, the front office will most def find away to blow this draft/free agency and really have us all set up for next season. Im hoping to see at least 6 wins

57. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Dysert;

I never watch a game he played in this year. I did see him at the senior bowl. He looked inaccurate and really blended into the background.

I have heard the Big Ben comparisons because they went to the same school. Some really think he could be an NFL QB.

I watched the SEC, Big 12 and Pac 12. Watching the MAC isnt something I do. So I really cant give you more.

58. By nrock on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

59. By D on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Darren-
    Any updates on the contract talks with R. Johnson? If my pencil is correct, cutting both Adub (which will be sad) and Doucet should save another 5mil from the cap….

60. By sarah on Mar 7, 2013 | Reply

Arizona is in the chicken and the egg situation, they want the sure thing in either a pro starter, rookie high pick ( huge risk) or work with what they got and improve. Hoyer adds some dimension but I think in camp he would get bumped. He has an ok arm and made basic reads for what time he had with the playbook. Keim is long three quarterbacks from his scouting and personnel reviews, Kolb needs to prove he can be the guy for a reasonable price and last a season. Outside of that it gets linear and Hoyer adds to that, Skelton absolutely blew 2012 ( from 6-2 in 2011 something Hoyer cannot show, Skelton also beat Seattle and SF in 11). He was not dealt the best cards at times, maybe if he got to play the Atlanta game or NY it would have gone well. Also, I am also unsure how many qb’s can actually come to camp ?

I would like to see a restructured Kolb or someone with starting experience and a winning record over several years in camp. Matt Flynn would be ideal ( short record though) and bye bye Kolb. In the NFL one day you are a peacock and the next a feather duster, we need to get beyond that at quarterback given it has been musical chairs comedy post Warner. I think Lindley got lots of playing time and showed marginal improvement and skill, Skelton for whatever reasons took a big step backward and part of it had to do with bad coaching I think. Can he be reconstituted with a new coaching regime? I think so and I believe Arians does as well. It all starts with the line and running game, I also think that outside of Fitz and Floyd that the receiving corp is average and may i add too short. Crabtree, Moss and the like showed what an advantage a 6’2” upward receiver can do.

61. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Camp

For me, there are benefits to both places. Ultimately, I’m going to go where the team is and the work doesn’t really change, so I don’t have a deep feeling either way.

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Free agency

63. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

D –

RE: Rashad

Nothing new that I have heard.

64. By jasonsoroski on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Arians will get who he wants. There are good options out there: Stanton, McCoy, etc. who could get the job done.

Priority has to be O-Line.

65. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

@AzDesertRat1953,

“I think coach Arians has more to work with here in Arizona than he did in Indy, including the QB’s.”

I just noticed your post now, and had to read it three times to see if I was missing what should have been the obvious sarcasm, but I still can’t tell. You’re not serious about that, right?

66. By vibramnation on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Okay so what happens if anybody but Kolb gets sacked like Kolb did his first season and gets a concussion? What then? Kolb wasn’t the problem in that scenario, his head came down on another players knee and he was concussed. If Tom Brady was our QB same thing would have happened and you’d be screaming to cut Brady right now. Don’t understand your logic…

67. By suspence716 on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m sick of hearing that Kolb has shown us what he can do and that he has the ability. The only thing Kolb has shown us is that he belongs in the china hutch with all the other fragile and breakable things! Get rid of Kolb, not worth half the money he’s even been paid!!!!~

68. By grabling on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Keep Kolb (for less money) and draft Geno Smith… Cut Skelton, Lindley

69. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Vibramnation,

Aaron Rodgers was sacked 51 times last year. Not injured. Over the last 5 years, he has been sacked 202 times. No concussions.

Brady has played every game over the last 12 years except one year because of a knee injury. He has been sacked 59 times over the last 2 years.

Phillip Rivers has been sacked 216 ( including 49 times this past year) since 2006 and played every game.

I could go on. Point is, QBs get sacked and get off the ground all the time. In fact, these guys get off the ground and perform. Kolb’s injuries are strange. A botched handoff and he tries to run and gets injured, After a fumble , a knee hits him in the back of the head and he is out, With the Eagles, while scrambling out of the pocket, he was tackled by the feet, fell and got a concussion. Three years, several injuries, played in 22 of 48 games. It is a mistake to think anything else but he has injury issues and cant be counted on.

70. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

@Sarah,

Not to burst your bubble, but SF’s WR’s do not offer the height advantage you’re claiming. Only Moss is listed over 6’2″, and he had, I believe, all of 28 receptions last season and, per usual, hung his QB out to dry at a very key moment with his ever shrinking reach when sent over the middle. Where SF does present a major mismatch to us, when comparing positions, is on their OL. Arguably the best LT, RT and LG in the business. For that matter, if we add the TE to that group, that makes four of the best in the league. Yes, we need a better QB but let us exchange those four positions with them and see what the scoreboard shows when all is said and done. Until we acknowledge that SF (and Seattle) just annihilates us in their OL personnel I don’t see our fortunes changing any time soon, regardless of who our skill players are.

71. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

@Sarah,

As I meant to in the previous post, yes, I do acknowledge that you at least made mention of needing a better line. Kind of gets me that many want to overlook that, in particular Coach Arians himself, if taking his public comments at face value.

72. By cobra on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

JTDG,

Re: Vibrmamnation’s comment:

Show some respect. Even with the stats given, no QB took the pummeling that Kolb did in a short amount of time. Really, did you you think Kolb or any other QB would get up after the shot he took to the back of his helmet? This year a lot of people wanted Alex Smith. Hmmm, how did he lose his job? Yes, we need a fulltime QB, but what about the Oline, not your post for what could have been drafted, this year, or last year at QB. All I’m saying is, change it up. Show me some D also.

73. By Stephen on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Draft Matt Scott QB from Arizona

74. By sarah on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingbos.

Great observations especially your comments re. SF line. In terms of their receivers it seemed Crabtree was much bigger and taller than Patrick Peterson, Moss beat us for a TD in the Monday night game . It will be interesting how Alex Smith fares in KC without that line you mentioned.

75. By truths4all on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Kolb has WC skills, but his proven track record as a fragile QB means he will most likely be injured and out when you need him. Any talk about what games he won or loss is irrelevant. Including him time in Philly and with the Cards, Kolb cannot stay healthy. And Philly had a decent line when Kolb kept getting hurt there too.

The question is why would you keep and pay for such a fragile QB? If the Cards keep Kolb, BA and Keim will deserve ALL of the blame when he gets injured again and cannot play and they must still pay him. There will be NO EXCUSES for them to hide behind then.

76. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

@Sarah,

Against us, Crabtree was the proverbial 600-lb gorilla this year so I can understand why he seemed bigger than his listed 6’1″ height.

Not to be a naysayer or to sound any more critical of us than I already have, but I think going to KC will be a better move for Smith than coming here. Reid will likely install his WC offense, they franchised Albert and have first dibs on another OL, if they go that route. However, as you noted it’s still a far cry from the suppporting case he had in SF so best of luck to him with that. I’m just happy we didn’t get the chance to overpay for another average QB.

77. By Coach Kevin on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

No way I take Geno Smith in round one. I think EJ Manuel or Matt Scott would be better and be taken in round two or three. Geno at pick #7 is INSANE. He’s not an elite QB. No even close.

78. By Wes on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

FELLOW BIG RED FANS -

A lot of us here are generally sympathetic to Kevin Kolb’s cause; at the least, a lot of us think he is the best option currently available. Guess what ? Fans have power – WE’RE the ones that pay these guys’ salary ! Call the team front office – the number is available on this site. Ask for Mr. Bidwill or Steve Keim; leave a message voicing your support for a re-structured deal with Kolb. Let’s work together to ensure we don’t end up with the likes of Kyle Orton or another USC bust named Matt.

Go the extra mile: Google “Select Sports Group” – they represent Kolb. Call them and tell them we want him to stay put in Arizona.