Saying goodbye to A-Dub (for now)

Posted by Darren Urban on March 8, 2013 – 12:22 pm

The end really wasn’t a surprise, with the way things were going. From the time Steve Keim said to me back in February that “you have to put personal feelings aside, and you have to do what’s best for the organization” when it came to the roster, it was impossible not to think about Adrian Wilson first.

And it’s hard not to think how weird it will be without Wilson around. I mean, we’re talking about someone who came to Arizona when Jake Plummer was still the quarterback. Before Emmitt Smith even dreamed about swapping his Cowboy blue for Cardinal red. Before Larry Fitzgerald was even playing for the University of Pittsburgh, much less the Cards. He was there through the too many lows and then was the soul of that magical 2008 postseason.

Wilson — who wore No. 22 that first season in the old Cards unis that weren’t changed until A-Dub was going into his fifth season — was the definition of the raw talent coming out of college. He was ticked he lasted until the third round and it fueled him. It also seemed like the Wilson story every year those first three years was about “Wilson is about to make the jump” and he didn’t quite get there. But then Wilson blossomed, learned the league, and became a giant pain in the rear for offenses.

He was linked to Pat Tillman in his early days. He was drafted to replace Tillman, and had Tillman re-signed with the Cards instead of joining the Army back in 2002, Wilson would have surpassed him on the depth chart. As the years passed, in my time first as a newspaper reporter and then once I came on board with the team, I was able to learn more of what made A-Dub tick.

He was remarkably blunt. He could lean glass half-empty, but he was driven by the idea he could lead this franchise out of the doldrums. He did, and the scene of Dub, amidst the chaos right after the NFC Championship, emotional and in near daze, sticks with me to this day. I remember how giddy he was when he made his first Pro Bowl, and how, after promising a then-young media relations man Chris Melvin he’d pay for him to go to Hawaii too if he got there, Wilson did just that. Sometimes it seemed he wasn’t happy about people who criticized him, yet he often criticized himself without prompting. And the man can hit — ask Todd Heap or Trent Edwards.

(The Edwards hit in 2008, which knocked Edwards out of the game, was one of just six plays Wilson played because of a bad hamstring. I’ve never seen a player affect a game so greatly in such little playing time.)

Oh, the man could make you jump through hoops. The man could be intimidating and he knew it, even for someone like me who knew him so well. Sometimes he’d be tough to read, and in difficult times, you never knew if you might be stepping on a land mine in an interview. There were plenty of times the look he gave wasn’t a good one when I asked for a moment — and then he’d break into a smile, unable to keep up the ruse.

Mostly though, I remember a player who so desperately wanted to be a Cardinal for life. It’s why he took a big pay cut last season and why he wasn’t going to rock the boat last season when he lost playing time — and make no mistake, Wilson was disappointed that happened. Today’s move just underscores how way more often than not, a team’s plan and a player’s plan don’t mesh. The Cards would have loved to have Wilson retire a Cardinal. But if it wasn’t going to happen now, and Wilson plans to keep playing, they were going to do what they felt they needed to do today. It happens. It doesn’t make it any easier. I know a lot of fans are upset today — some are even angry — but this is what happens in this league. It had to be an incredibly difficult phone call for Keim. There was no one closer to Wilson in the organization.

Last summer, Wilson said he could see himself working for the organization in some capacity when his career was over. That’s not yet, but I can totally see that possibility. I can see too — and no one has said anything, but I can speculate — Wilson one day signing one of those ceremonial contracts to retire as a Cardinal.

I could write 10,000 words about 12 years with A-Dub. Safe to say I’ll miss the guy. The Cardinals will too.

GoodbyeDub

Tags:

89 Responses to “Saying goodbye to A-Dub (for now)”

1. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Goodbye ADub,

During some of those rough , lean years, you went to the game to watch ADub lay someone out. Also the season he had all those sacks and just became one of those guys teams had to account for when they took the field.

You will be missed. But as Darren said, not a surprise. Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith looked strange in other jerseys. It will really be weird to see him in another jersey.

2. By Mr Robles on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Wilson is the reason why Im still a Cardinal’s fan. Good luck Adrian my son is named after you thanks for everything you put into the organization, much love!

3. By aaron on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

The greatest to ever wear a Cardinals jersey.

4. By SteveG on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Knew it had to happen one day…but WOW!!

Greatest of good fortune to a great player

5. By Madriffs on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

This is a difficult pill to swallow. Very bold move on the Card’s part IMO. It’s just business I know but it sucks to see A-Dub go. Still waiting on the restructuring of Kolb’s contract. Should drop WAY down. If they can let Wilson go who is the heart of this team aside from Fitz, then Kolb is a no brainer. As a matter of fact, cleaning house should be a breeze.

6. By Chuck on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Will miss you A-Dub! #24 4-ever!

7. By craig on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I WILL MISS YOU ADRIAN WILSON 24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,24,FOR LIFE

8. By Dynosoar on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I’ve had a feeling in my gut all morning that it was a bad day. Just hoping this is the only bad news I have.

Wow, I don’t even know if I can finish my lunch.

Please bring him back like Levi last season.

9. By Andy Kw on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

My man Adrian Wilson, I will miss the guy. He has been an important piece to the defense for a long time. I say my farewells to Adrian Wilson and hope one day he will return.

10. By Tucson Card on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

One of my all-time favorite Cardinals. Best wishes.

11. By Rugbymuffin on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

My favorite Cardinal player by far.

I like him for what he did on the field, but even more for what he did off the field. One of the few old school people in the game of NFL football, and in life general.

I look up to the man, and will continue to do so. I bought my red #24 jersey last year, well a where that he may not have been back this year.

Hope him the best, and tho this fan could think of 4 million reasons to keep A-Dub, it is not my team to run, or my money to pay, unfortunately.

Best of luck to A-Dub no matter where he ends up, and look forward to seeing him soon enough when we put his name and number in the ROH.

Sad day to be a Cardinal fan.

12. By Dynosoar on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I woke up this morning and grabbed my Cardinals jersey for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks and said to myself “today’s a perfect day to show my colors.” It’s hard to show my colors after this news, but Wilson was one to stay true to his team even when all around him went terribly bad. With a heavy heart I’ll follow his example.

I feel as though… I can’t describe it. I just loved that a player in this league openly wanted to play his entire career for my team. I can’t express what it means when any player has wanted to…Wanted to wear Cardinals red.

We have a Coach who has even bought a Cardinals red cap he’s so excited. I just wish Wilson would’ve been kept. That we would’ve honored him as he honored the team. I understand improving, I just wish we could’ve improved with one or two more years with A-Dub.

The draft just doesn’t seem important to me today.

Darren, thanks for you articles about this man over the years.

Adrian, thanks for being a Cardinal

Front office, please use your new cap space to resign the man, if he will.

Dificult or not, I’m wearing Cardinals red.

13. By BS on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

A-Dub You will be missed…..I will never forget that lick you put on Trent Edwards I still tease my brother in law the buffalo fan about it…

14. By Sackman on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I feel like I just lost my best friend today. I know it’s business but he was the heart and soul of this team, he was our leader. I wish the organization could of found away to keep him until he retired. Sad, sad day in Cardinal Land today! He also is the reason how this organization changed its image with players wanting to stay and why our fan base gotten bigger. Cardinal for life. Good Luck Mr. Wilson!!!

15. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

The end of an era…Adrian Wilson was the last player to have played with Pat Tillman. I will always continue to wear both jerseys with pride:) Sad, Sad day…another one :(

16. By redzona on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Darren, great perspective on a horse pill to swallow, thank you.

17. By joe holst on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Suprisingly 3 out 4 of this draf class were still in the league last year, Kyle Vanden Bosch(Lions) and Leonard Davis (niners) Hard to believe they too Michael Stone 10 picks before A-Dub. I really do not see this move making the Cardinals a better team. Look for him tp show up with the niners or seahawks and make a SB run.

18. By Rich on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

great player and person. he will always be a cardinal. had to be done.

19. By Ben W. on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I love my Cards, but I am so freaking angry right now. A-Dub is my favorite Cardinal! Gonna miss seeing him on the field. I knew it was coming but I thought a few more seasons before that and then he would retire. Much love for you Adrian Wilson! #24 for life!!!

20. By cobra on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Sad day to be a Cardinals fan. If they don’t use the money to resign Toler and Johnson, well were screwed. We have no depth at Safety and Johnson or Bethel are not ever going to be, ADUB. Since we are on dumping players for cap room, may as well lose the dead weight on the Oline and sell out for every lineman in the draft within reach, whether it is 1st round, move up again late 1st round and take another 2nd round and be done with this BS. The D will take care of its own with what we have and late round DPs to shore up depth. Now, my whole view of FA and the draft have changed. No FAs. Go draft. No dumbass ventures on early round QBs. I hope to hell I don’t see ADUB chasing our QB next year for another team. Again, now I say sell out for OLINE and D depth. Our RBs are cheap, but still have talent. Restructure Kolb, keep Hoyer, keep Lindley and cut Skelton. I can’t believe I’m saying this, yet if this is their direction, then Fing do it right for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By Debeezy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

what a great guy. professional both on and off the field, unlike a lot of younger guys (sherman comes to mind) Will miss watching the guy light people up. Hopefully we don’t play him in the future at all!

22. By sherri on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

NO, Say it’s not so.. What a great player but what a great man. Hire him, bring him back as a coach or something don’t let him go.

23. By Kurt on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Adrian Wilson – Class Act – Great Role Model
    wow – what a sad day to be a Cardinal fan

24. By iammattyoung on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

For what it’s worth:

I didn’t pay a bit of attention to football or the Cardinals until 2002. That year, I got my driver’s license, and I began listening to the games every now and then while driving around the Valley. By 2004, I was hooked. Part of it was that Ron Wolfley began announcing games that year, and made the radio-cast so much dang fun. But, by then, I’d begun watching what few games were on television (remember, most were blacked out back then). And at that time, no one else was more fun to watch than Adrian Wilson. On a team that seemed to give away games on a regular basis, who had no quarterback and an Emmitt Smith well past his prime, before Anquan and Fitz had reached their full potential, here was a guy in Adrian Wilson who left his heart and soul on the field, and would, as Wolf would say, “light people up like Yoda’s lightsaber”. The “gas man”, Adrian Wilson, made watching the game fun, and he embraced this town and this team in a way that nobody else had at that time. Even when other people would make fun about being a lowly Cards fan, I always knew that we had this one guy, this one giant bulldog, who struck fear into the hearts of the opposition. Thanks A-dub.

25. By xBIGxMx on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Honestly I don’t know what to do anymore, laugh or get mad!! First the horrible season we had, then firing Horton, then the article about possibly trading Fitz and now this!! WTF are they trying to do loose fans? “what’s best for the organization” don’t you guys know that if you have no fans you have no money for your “organization”…seriously for being the so called “Coaches and Managers” lately stupid decisions have been made and I have a feeling another stupid decision will be made with Kolb. A-Dub#24 thanks for everything! Good luck!!

26. By Andy Kw on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Is it possible to bring back Adrian Wilson as a backup/mentor for the Cardinals and do you think Bruce Arians is considering it? Was the cap space for the Cardinals improved after the cut of Adrian Wilson?

27. By P2wicewazhannintho on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

dam….

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Wilson questions

It’s all in here.

29. By luke on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

They need to cut Ducet or Snyder first!Not Wilson!! How dare they cut Adrian wilson first! I mean at least show the guy some respect after serving and playing hard for 12 years.

30. By Ben on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I already miss you Adub…Seriously a sad day for my household, going to buy another Wilson jersey tonight and maybe burn the one I have had for years in the fire. One of my favorite players of all time. Hopefully he comes back soon.

Thanks Urban for the great writeups on Adub over the years, we could tell that you two were close.

Geez, feels like I just lost my dog or something.

31. By clssylssy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Reportedly, the Cards will save $3M cutting Adub…a drop in the bucket, chump change when you look at #24’s value as a pillar of the team. Small price when you consider how many other players have passed on pay cuts from the Cards to go on to free agency and success with another team. I have a feeling that words about future induction in the Ring of Honor carry little meaning to A-Dub today and he would rather retire in a Cardinal uniform…that in itself, is practically unheard of and puts him in a class by himself.

32. By erik on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Our team is worse off today than it was yesterday. The guy WANTED to be here until the end! How could they not figure out a way to keep him? I’m no cap wiz, but if they cut Kolb they would have saved 6 mil making them 10 or 11 mil under the cap. With the new rookie contracts being lower that would have left them with plenty of room. Makes no sense.

33. By mal on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Count me as one of the angry!

A-dub showed unbelievable loyalty through all those 4-12 and 5-11 seasons and at this stage of his career the Cardinals organization should have shown him the same loyalty.

I know football is a business, but A-dub is a special case. They could have kept him as a back-up for the next couple years and let him retire with dignity. A-dub earned it.

34. By andystandsup on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

The images that come to mind first for me are the YouTube leap clip and the Edwards hit. But that’s so undeserving, almost demeaning, of what Wilson has meant to this franchise.
    My personal reflection on him would be the training camp in 2009, after the SB, when while packed in like sardines, “fans” were trying to locate Adrian on the field while looking at a roster sheet. Wilson likes to wear different numbered jerseys during practices and was sporting a “2”, instead of the usual “24”. People around me were asking who the heck was that guy and where was Adrian. I yelled “Number 2 is Wilson, and he’s half the man he used to be!”
    Adrian turned around, flashed that Cheshire Cat grin and gave me a thumbs up.

Well done, Mr. Wilson. Well done.

35. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

man i remember his first tackle vs the broncos in 2001 sunday night game opening kickoff dude almsot took it to the house only to be caught by a skinny kid wearing number 22# the announcers were more pumped about the kid who never gave up on the play and tracked someone 90 yards downfiel.who would have thought he would be the guy that went to 5 pro -bowl and lead us a a super bowl thanks a-dub for everything you did for the cards and me in madden for 12 plus.Ring of honor will be when you return to the nest also darren does this mean SS is a spot will be looking high at in the draft.

darren any way you can show that clip vs denver in 2001 thanks

36. By Corgon on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

It’s not rigth….it is just so wrong. Sad and I don’t see how could be this is a good decision.

I hope he got what he dreamt at his last home game. He earned everything what a fan ever could give to a player.

So long A-Dub I hope you’ll find a way somehow to the 30/30 club. It would be nice. Best wishes!!!

And again anyone could say anything what he want but this wasn’t the right thing to do.

37. By Rio on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

A. Wilson bring him back as a inside linebacker let him replace Paris Lennon , he can tacke , he can bliiz, he can cover the receivers coming out, something lennon could not do.

Great person who just got old like the rest of us have.

Rio

38. By Brett n Co. on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Flying the cards flag half masked already miss the big 24!!!!

39. By wonderingwhy on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

They should have moved him from safety to Line backer. He would knock some RB silly.

40. By Karen Lambert on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

You will be missed. You are one of my favorite players on the team. I never was much into football until I moved here from CA almost 7 years ago. I became a big Kurt Warner, FItz, WIlson fan. Loved the Cards ever since. I wish you well. Just can’t see how this is a good thing for the team.:(

41. By cooldaddy79 on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ill miss him too but he wasnt playing very well.! i understAND THE DECISION. GOODLUCK.

42. By mike (AZcatsNcards) on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

As a fan & season ticket holder (from Tucson) I am very angry that the Cardinals released A-Dub! He showed so much loyalty to the Cards that can’t be matched by any Cardinal player that I can think of. This makes the organization look BAD! He took pay cuts & stayed with a horrible team that played in a horrible stadium (Sun Devil) through more then enough seasons. He could had easily gotten top dollar for his services else where (and I am sure he would’ve had he known it was going to end like this). I fully understand that it is part of the business but keeping him a Cardinal shouldn’t have even been a question unless the team told him that his play time would be very limited & they mutually agreed to part ways! The Cards want me to pay for my season ticket by the 19th, well I wan’t to know what the plan is and Darren if you could please give me a phone number to call the organization about the release, draft, FA, & plan going forward would be greatly appreciated. I am having trouble processing his release & making sense of it all. They released the player who took A-Dub’s playing time already so I really don’t understand the move. His work ethic & loyalty is going to be tremendously missed in the locker room & weight room. I am very disappointed in the Cardinals! I feel so bad for Adrian Wilson, I can’t imagined how he feels today. I can almost guarantee he has shed tears and has a broken heart due to the release.

Thanks,
    Mike

43. By ndpenner on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

We’ll miss you A-Dub. You’ve been one of my favorite Card’s for many years. Wish you well in your future and I do hope you come back somehow someday.

44. By andystandsup on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Just as with the Boldin- leaving article Darren, you published a very well written post about the possibility of what happened today with Wilson back in December.
    Can you provide the link, for those who may not have seen it?

45. By Dennis on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

In an era where athletes are looked up to as role models, Wilson should be considered. A real family man and father, still married to same woman, three kids, not a wife beater or cheater, drugee or criminal. This is what stinks about this organization. Wilson was a good player, yes he lost a step; but nonetheless would be a very good situational player. His loyalty to the organization was never in question, yet they had no loyalty to him when it came to finishing his career a Cardinal. I’m sure he would have looked at a one year deal to retire a Cardinal. That at least should have been offered to him, it would have sent a message to the rest of the players that the organization will reward a player that is here for more than just the money.

46. By Timothy J Conway on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

We will miss A-Dub. To hear Ron Wolfley say just one more time, “THE GAS MAN LIT HIM UP!!!” would be awesome. I hate days like this.

47. By Dre on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Sad day for sure can’t believe this 12 years then you cut him like that. Keim just threw a dagger threw all the fans. Should Of just keep him here just so he can show rookies how it is to be a pro. Ray lewise was not that good in the last three years they let him stay and lead cause that what leaders do and we sent ours packing . Way to start a new year or end it.

48. By procen on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I sad day today to hear A.DUB will no longer be a Cardinals. Good Luck, and I hope you come back one day just to retire as a Cards.

49. By Ex on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

In your opinion, Wouldn’t it have made more sense to trade AW for a draft pick (3rd or 4th) round rather than to just cut him? and if so, do you know why they didnt? Thanks,

50. By Karen on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I will miss you. Thank you for all your support of the Cardinals and your dedication. Good Luck and see you in the Ring of Honor.

51. By Ex on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

…Or…. was it done out of respect so that A-Dub would have the freedom to choose where he wanted to go?

52. By mrpeary3189 on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

If they can release and sign Levi Brown, then A-Dub better be getting a call on Tuesday.

53. By Cody Zarr on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

This is the most depressing thing I’ve read since… Ever. Well I recall being equally depressed when Marcus Allen announced his retirement.

I don’t really see him making it past free agency without getting an offer to start for someone else. Hard to imagine him coming back here in a diminished role. Tell me I’m wrong? Please…

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Mike –

RE: plan

Why don’t you shoot me an e-mail askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net and we’ll see if we can get someone.

55. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Andystands —

RE: story

56. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Ex —

RE: Wilson

I don’t believe anyone would have traded for him with his current contract.

57. By Credit Card on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Long time professional “star” athletes seldom can not only be viewed, but are actually classy individuals. Adrian Wilson is just that … classy, hard working, leader. I’m glad he was a Cardinal, players like Adrian Wilson are reasons why I’m a fan.

58. By Lifetime Fan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

KEEP A DUB!!!! WHY?!?!

59. By Chuck 1 on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I remember an article that you wrote about a player who was honored by his high school a few years ago. Was that AW?
    If so, can you provide the link?

60. By D on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

These Carson Palmer rumors would mean Kolb would be done in AZ….could just be agent talk….

ADub would look good in a NE Pat’s jersey

61. By Patrick on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Adrian Wilson’s $3.5 Million is too expensive but they can give Brian Hoyer $2 Million for a second or third string quarterback.

62. By Patrick Eagan on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

makes me sad how nothing lasts for ever. Adrain Wilson will always have a small place in my heart. Go Cardinals.

63. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Wilson high school

There were a couple:

64. By BIG RED on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

The toughest football player on our team and he gets cut, stupid,stupid,stupid. Now, we have the most fragile player in the NFL and doesn’t get cut, what’s up with that! Cut Kevin Kolb, please!!!!!!!!!! Sad day for all Cardinal fans!!

65. By sarah on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

A class story for a class guy, well done and to me Wilson was a solid defender on a mediocre team at times. May he land on his feet with the right team.

66. By Cards4ever on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

I’ll always wear my #24 jersey every game day!!

67. By theuglitruth on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

You know…after seeing the Jets deal with the Revis contract drama, seeing the Vikings deal with the Harvin drama, and hearing about Seattle’s Richard Sherman’s stupid “hey, look at me” drama…you just feel fortunate, lucky, and blessed to see, respect, and admire the right player, person, human being….like Adrian Wilson. God Bless, Adub….you will be missed!

68. By Larry W on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

When I think of Adrian Wilson I think of the many Cardinal greats that I grew up with before him. From Larry Wilson to Jim Hart, Dan Deirdorf, Conrad Dobler Mel Gray, Aneas Williams and Larry Fitzgerald. And their are many more I left off like Otis Anderson , you get the picture. I had to add Conrad because he graduated from the same high school a few classes in front of me go Wildcats. But I will say this the 24 will be missed greatly. Thanks Adrian for all the great memories.

69. By Red bird of death on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

I will truly miss watching the beast man A-DUB , thanks.

70. By Jahstone on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Any chance he comes back to us, like Levi Brown last year, after testing out Free Agency?

71. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Jahstone —

RE: Wilson re-sign

72. By BIG E on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Well….way to go cards….Not a surprise though…Remember that guy Anquan…Yeah. It would make more sense to me if they cut that piece of garbage Kolb FIRST! And then if they needed to restructure Wilson’s contract. I think his play

73. By Boondock on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Going to miss seeing #24 obliterate the opposing offense. A-Dub will forever remain my favorite Cardinal of all time. I hope he plays a couple more years and gets to the 30/30 mark. #24 will look great in the Ring of Honor

74. By eric on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

THANK YOU 24!!!!!!!!!!

75. By louie on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

people get mad when players don’t resign with the team that drafted them and this is why…He might have lost a step, but lack of loyalty on Cards part…I named my daughter adrian and aerian after him, darren would he have took a pay cut to stay or was that not an option? I could name 5 more players who could have been cut before him starting with 3 QBs and an overpaid O-linemen.

76. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Louie —

RE: Wilson

I believe there were some discussions about a pay cut. But in the end, I think this was something understood by both sides.

77. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

One of THE greatest Cardinals ever. And one of my very favorite Cardinals ever. For me, one of THE truly lasting images from that magical 2008 season will always be Wilson being interviewed by Pamela Ovliver right after the NFC title game against the Eagles ended….euphoria…confetti coming down…and that tear running down Wilson’s face as he tried to find the words. Absolutely priceless.

Adrian, I was right there with you, man. We all were. I couldn’t find the words, either. And I didn’t care. There was no need to put it into words for anyone else to understand. It was just a moment to sit back and enjoy the feeling of being a winner.

78. By Louisville Card on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Great story Darren,

Sad to see him go. On a happier note do you think Adrian will be the first Arizona Card in the Hall? Seems like his stats should make him a lock…

79. By Darren Urban on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Wilson Hall

I think he should be in the discussion.

80. By Roland on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Bad move steve keim wilson took a 3.5 mil. pay cut last year and had one more 3 mil for this year probably would have retired next year. Wilson is a fan favorite and was in the pro bowl in 2011. This is not a good way for Keim to gain respect from me a 17 yr season ticket holder. Not a good time to be a cards fan. Thank you A-DUB FOR PLAYING YOUR ASS OFF ON THE FIELD AND TRYING TO BE IN RED TILL THE END OF YOUR CAREER.

81. By UK CARD on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

A great piece Darren! Well Done!

Its going to be tough seeing ADub with another team! Legendary Card!

I really hoped to see him stick around! A leader no doubt! Wonder if he’ll get a Segway in his new camp? Lol

Look forward to the ring of Honor ceremony, and future Hall of Fame! All the best ADub!! ;)

82. By PETER BILLIS on Mar 9, 2013 | Reply

Sad to see Adrain go. One of my favorite Cardinals of all time!! Maybe the team will reconsider.

83. By Darren Urban on Mar 10, 2013 | Reply

Roland —

RE: Wilson retiring “next year”

Adrian said he thinks he can play three more years.

84. By Clint Cathcart on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Adrian has always been my favorite cardinals player. You will be dearly missed and will always be remembered as a cardinals legend, and for big hits! You are a true pro. Good luck in whatever the future holds for you.

85. By drummer-1 on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

I remember when fans on here we’re saying we should cut/trade A-dub because he was to slow and couldn’t cover any TE’s…

86. By Roland on Mar 11, 2013 | Reply

Darren he could play three more years and teams like the 9ers will find a way to use his skills.

87. By Dan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Welcome to New England and The Patriots!

2. Mar 8, 2013: Saying gooodbye to A-Dub (for now)
  3. Mar 19, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Belichick talks A-Dub (a little)