Rashad Johnson comes back

Posted by Darren Urban on March 12, 2013 – 10:09 am

The news first spread last night but it became official this morning, with safety Rashad Johnson agreeing to a new three-year contract with the Cardinals. Johnson was already taking playing time from veteran Adrian Wilson last year, and the pieces of this day came together over the past week — Wilson being released, and Johnson coming back to a probable starting job.

At the Scouting combine, general manager Steve Keim made it clear he was happy with Johnson’s progress in the secondary and signaled the Cards’ interest in working out a new deal.

“Rashad was a guy last year who I felt really improved,” Keim said. “His cover skills, his consistency in the alley, coming to balance as a tackler, we felt he really, really improved. Where as in years past I felt like Rashad would fill the alley a little out of control a little bit and he learned to play with a little more patience, which I think served him well.”

Free agency begins at 1 p.m. Arizona time today. The Cardinals figure to keep trying to bring back cornerback Greg Toler, who is letting the market set his worth. It’s sounding less and less likely the team brings back running back LaRod Stephens-Howling (which is a bummer, because I would miss the Hyphen.) Of the Cardinals’ other own free agents, other than perhaps linebacker Quentin Groves — and even on him I am not sure — I could see the Cards moving on in almost every case.

RashadBackBLOG

Tags: , , , ,

36 Responses to “Rashad Johnson comes back”

1. By Nick Pepe on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Damn well wish we keep the Hyphen. I can’t see one fan wanting to see him go !

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By djjackson81 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Get Toler signed and look at Cason as well or draft Tyrann Mathuies

3. By djjackson81 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

It’s looking like AZ will need two RB. One as FA one in the draft.

4. By LadyBird04 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Sorry to hear about LaRod but have been expecting it since new kick-off rules and how it affected his playing. Also – Mike Adams – haven’t heard anything – I know another “undersized” player but like LaRod made those special plays – remember knocking ball away for final score against Green Bay…
    Have you any information on Adams as well?

5. By D on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Cards could call TB about L. Blount, they have him on a one year deal, low tender, probably could get him for a 6th rounder. Only 26 yr old, if in shape, could be an every down back.

6. By donttakelosses on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Lenon and Sanders might return for cheap, fill needs. Thoughts?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

LadyBird —

RE: Adams

I do not expect Adams to return.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

DontTake —

RE: Lenon/Sanders

Maybe. But right now, I don’t see Lenon settling for cheap.

9. By michaeldiaz12@gmail.com on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

what can you say the hyphen deserved better ,ull rott away in az

10. By shannon robinson on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

I think Arians played the Alabama card with Rashad. He is our best commitment that we made to the Tide and they can promise that he won’t be alone. Bama is a pretty good choice for a program to be Big Brother to. I predict we draft the Alabama Inside Linebacker Nico Johnson. Three in a row is a pattern.

11. By Dynosoar on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Johnathan,

Happy Birthday!

clssylssy,

in case you missed it, I wrote extra thumbs up to you in the last post for your stopped/stomped.

donttakelosses,

I love what Paris brings to the team. Game in and game out.

Nick Pepe,

Been a while since I said hello. Hello. Twenty-five thumbs up for the above comment. The only place I want to see him go is into the other teams endzone and six points for the Cardinals. I’d love to see him and Wilson resigned. They did it for Levi. Not expecting it, but that’d be mighty sweet.

Johnathan,

for you big day I wish you at least one signing that you want. Whether I want that player or not, here’s to one player you want.

12. By Dynosoar on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

thanks for all the updates. I’d miss the Hyphen as well, however, I’m a Cardinals fan first, second and third and a players fan next.

(One could say the Cowboys are at the bottom of my fan list, but that would mean at least some portion of me is a Cowboys fan and that’s just not so.)

Must be hard for you, we get to know players through their game play, interviews and you and Josh’s writing. You get to know them in person. Keep up the good work.

My wish list today, bring back the Hypen and change the stupid kickoff placing to ten yards back. Yeah, let the returns happen more and more. Also, playoff overtime possession rules in place for entire season.

13. By joe holst on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Toler is going to Browns, done deal. .

14. By D on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Cards won’t be able to match SF and Seattle’s firepower, so they need to build the Oline and get a solid RB to keep those offenses off the fiield.
    I would buy a Right tackle, maybe a Loadholt in free agency, keep Levi at Left Side and draft Cooper for one the G spots. Maybe even let Synder compete at Center
    (doubt if they get a chance at Fisher in the draft).
    Team needs to focus on ball control.

Most likely C Palmer will be cut, probably would take a not too expensive deal to finish up career here in AZ.

15. By Christo on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Can’t figure out the lack of info on Kolb.

When do we NEED to be under Darren? Ie can we go blow the bank on FA acquisitions this week and then get under Cap by a certain date?

Anyhow hope we can walk away with Mendenhall, Larry Grant . . and hopefully an LT maybe even as great as Vollmer with a combination of Kolb / Brown reduction / cut and exception.

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Christo —

RE: Kolb/cap

The Cardinals are already under the cap. So anything they do now is to clear more room, but they are already compliant.

17. By Red BirdsObserver on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

How could tha Cards miss out on getting Bolden from the Ravens? He’s a damn good player and the Cards are going to pay for NOT picking him up now that he’s with our rival team competitors-49’s!!

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Christo,

Volmer is a RT. Putting him at LT would be like putting Massie at LT. Could he do it? sure. But not as well as they can play RT.

19. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Please. No Carson Palmer. The guy is a loser. One excuse after another. I like what the new staff is doing. Cleaning House is what needs to happen here. Even tough some of the players I will miss, it won’t take long to forget about them if we start winning with new players. Big props to the staff so far. Not worried about the niners anymore. Harbaugh is about to implode. Seattle is another story. But I think our new staff may bring some light back to the desert. LSH, best wishes, A-Dub, best wishes. Early, good luck. Adams, happy trails. I wish all of the former Cardinals the best and welcome in a new crop of talent. Its a new beginning fans. Let’s embrace it. Go Cards !!!!!! NFC West Champions to start, Superbowl to finish………

20. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

a name being linked to the cards is Jerraud Powers. CB

Looking him up, he has started every game he has played over the last 4 years but at the same time, has never played more than 12 games in a season due to injuries.

Any info?

21. By P2wicewazhannintho on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

thats to bad about money mike adams….

22. By wonderingwhy on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

The suspense is killing me…………..

23. By Bill L on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Fitzpatrick RELEASED……QB draft gets curiouser.

Jake Long “visiting” Rams Today…..NFC West getting tougher?….

24. By Chris Lewis on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

I don’t want to be a downer and panic yet, but I’m concerned that Seattle and San Fran, who are already elite NFC teams, will be even better with the additions of Harvin and Boldin respectively, not to mention the gazillion draft picks San Fran has. I just don’t see Arizona brass getting any big name players, they usually never do, except maybe Reggie Bush, which would be a nice additon. Even with Bush, it would surprise me if we even finish 3rd in the West this coming season. I’m a true blue Cardinals fan, and I was excited when Arians and his staff came aboard, and I realize free agency just started, but I just don’t see Arizona catching up to Seattle or San Fran anytime soon. I hope I’m wrong, but it looks like another long season in the desert.

25. By cobra on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

If I here Steelers one more time I’m gonna? No Mendenhall, Bush, really? Why would you cut a 24 yr old RB and sign older RBs when there are fresh legs available. Draft right, move on. Tolers gone, whatever. If we want to spend money in FA, get Reevis.Solves a big problem. Draft, Draft, Draft, we have no money left to blow away. We need a great, not average DB with SF and Seattle signing WRs.

26. By In Arians We Trust on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Red Birds Observer — I like Boldin as much as the next guy. However, we have Fitz, we spent our #1 draft pick last year on Floyd, we have no quarterback, and Boldin earns $6M next year. Of all the places not to spend our precious dollars, another WR seems to be the top of the list (plus do you think Boldin would want to come back to AZ)?

27. By Andy Kw on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Here are the list of the free agents this team should sign:
    -RB Reggie Bush (4yr Contract)
    -RB/KR Leon Washington (1yr contract)
    -CB DeAngelo Hall (2yr contract)
    -LB Rey Maulauga (4yr contract)

28. By smoothcard on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

Darren is it possible that we take Leon Sandcastle and play him at CB and QB? he’s projected number 1 on alot of boards i here.

29. By Redbird96 on Mar 12, 2013 | Reply

So very upset that boldin went to rival. i understand he did not have complete say but it makes me mad and upset. To the fans that are worried for nextseason because of hawks and niners let me just say that it can only go up from here. we brought in a BA coach in arians. top notch! our division is going to continue to be the best in football. Patrick can cover anybody, and im so thankful we’re bringing rashad back. hes a favorite. All that we have needed is the right leadership at HC because we havent been short on talent in any of the past seasons. Keep getting excited for next year redsea, BIG and EXCITING things are coming. GO CARDS! love you redsea

30. By Eazy E on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Lenon should want ”good” money. He played his butt off the past two years for us at a near pro bowl level. We still should sign Larod even after getting Mendenhall and Rashad possibly replacing A-Wil is a joke! Rashad isn’t bad don’t get me wrong, but to cut A-Wil is ludicrous let alone not knowing if this guy’s the next A-Wil or Ed Reed or Dashon Goldson or even close. A-Wil still should be our starting SS for however long because not only has he played that way consistently, but we owe that to him for sticking here during the good, bad and the ugly and it was a bunch of the last 2.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Eazy —

RE: Lenon

Teams pay for future performance, not past performance. Lenon will never get paid for what he did now that he is 34. Reality of the biz.

32. By tonopahrick on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

It’s Wednesday afternoon, I’m hoping no news is good news. I keep reading about everybody signing players except the Cardinals.

33. By JayCorner24@CitrusHill on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

The cardinals should first of all i believe in my eyes should go after Jake Long in free agency no mater what… Then after him try to get a running back because i still believe that Ryan Williams is the guy alot of people expect he is… He is great in what ive seen while he was a junior in college and then after that the cards should then pursue Aqib Talib locking down the secondary pretty hard if the were to aquire Talib and Long they should then move Brown to RG where i believe hed do better because i believe his running blocking is better nd they should have Massie still at RT nd Colledge at LG nd Sendlein at center with Long at LT… then last but not least draft Geno smith get rid of Kolb in a trade for a 2nd round pick if not a 3rd round pick… in the @nd round they should then draft a 3-4 OLB or another linemen because of the injuries we had last year its never to bad to draft a decent backup even tho i do like Nate Potter but he needs to gain some more weight for him to become a great player at the NFL level once the older linemen hav to leave he could then be a better suited tackle… nd maybe even get DRC because after all we did draft him in ’08 and we’ll leave the rest to BA to work out… way to go Cards then we’ll really see whos the best in the NFC West

34. By William Barry on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I really think that we should find another Draft pick for more firepower on our offense, especially since Boldin went to SF and Harvin is going to Seattle. However, I think seattle will regret giving up all they did to get Harvin…….GO CARDINALS!!!!

35. By Eazy E on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

But what makes you think Lenon ain’t going to still ball???

36. By James on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

How do we still not know the contract terms for Johnson? Is it a Cardinals thing? Last year it took over a month to find out what Levi Brown received.