• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Cardinals snag Mendenhall

Posted by Darren Urban on March 13, 2013 – 11:31 am

The Cardinals have made a free agency move (and the fan base can exhale.) While the team has not officially announced anything yet, the agent for running back Rashard Mendenhall tweeted out that Mendenhall agreed to a one-year contract with the Cardinals. Mendenhall played under coach Bruce Arians in Pittsburgh and had his best season when Arians was there. He did tear an ACL in 2011 and spent last year coming back from that. But the one-year deal works on both ends — the Cards get a player motivated to prove his worth, and Mendenhall has a chance to boost his stock and re-visit free agency next season. Reportedly, the Broncos were also offering Mendenhall a one-year contract.

The Cardinals also gave recent free agents like DB Richard Marshall and LB Quentin Groves one-year deals and those worked out pretty well (although both got paid elsewhere after the one year.)

Mendenhall will have a chance to work with Ryan Williams in the backfield. Both have battled injuries. Both have much to prove.

And I have a feeling, with QB Drew Stanton and ILB Rey Maualuga and CB Jerraud Powers all scheduled to visit today, and other names in the fire (now Antoine Cason the cornerback will visit), there will be more news today.

MendenhallBLOGUSE

Tags: , , , , , , ,

71 Responses to “Cardinals snag Mendenhall”

1. By Smitty on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the updates, keep ‘em coming.

Do you feel a Stanton signing will trigger a Kolb release?

2. By eric on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

excellent news….maualuga i hope is next.

3. By Chuck on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Does Giavanni Ruffins name ring a bell? He’s the guy who played in the hit youtube video “How bad you want it”. I think he entered the draft one or two seasons ago, didn’t do anything amazing but still decent. His work ethic is absolutely astonishing. I think he’d be a nice grab for 300k-500k.

4. By Rio on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I like Mendenhall better than Bush, one year contract is perfect for him.

Need to sign line backer now.

Ryan Fizpatrick better than Kolb, but is erratic.

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Smitty –

RE: Stanton/Kolb

I don’t know for sure, but that’s what my gut is saying.

6. By Tucson Card on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

That would be cool if we snagged Antoine Cason…one of the best U of A DBs of all time!

7. By Erik on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

CB Antoine Cason, LB Rey Maualuga, RB Mendenhall, SS Laron Landry, KR/WR Josh Cribbs…

Idk why I keep scratching my head on these players i guess the only won that I think stands out is just Rey Maualuga who can help out our team

8. By azfaninwa on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I like this signing. Makes more sense than Bush to me. Rey Maualuga is a beast inside. He would be a great complement to the speed and playmaking of D-wash. Could be an exciting day.

9. By Rio on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

White smoke over Glendale, Cards pick Quarter Back,

waiting for annoument.

10. By joe holst on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhall fumbled 3 times last year on 51 carries, I wolud rather have Beanie Wells anyday of the week.

11. By Leeskicitizen on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Money isn’t everything, even in the money driven NFL.

This first signing of Mendenhall, who was also courted by Denver, might indicated that our newly minted front office and coaching staff are reaping the benefits of attracting players who might not have considered the Cardinals in previous years.

My intuition is telling me that the Cardinals are preparing to cut bait with Kolb if Stanton is willing to agree with a reasonable contract. Although Kolb might be the better, neither quarterback is going to be our “future”. But for the two years of transition it might take to land one, Stanton makes the best sense in the short run. Something tells me that Kolb’s rib injury didn’t heal like it was supposed to, and that might be another factor in this quarterback decision.

Finally, I think it might be a great sign if we can land Maualuga.

12. By Paul LaVoie on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Joe, Beanie has to be in the lineup to fumble. Glad he’s gone. Bring Rey Maualuga into the flock and I’m a happy camper.

13. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

What is Stanton’s starting record overall in his time in the league since 07 ? Also what in terms of dollars was Hoyer offered and what is his record, how many passes has this guy thrown in a game ?

14. By Eazy E on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

He picked us over Denver?! Ok Rashard, but it’s a good signing if he’s back because he is a very good back when he’s on but over Reggie I don’t like though but what do you expect from the cheapest franchise arguably in sports. Also Darren, your points about Richard and Quentin are indictments on the Cards not plusses. Both should have been signed back and their on other teams prospering instead of ours. I already talked about Stanton, Powers and Maualuga in my other post under ”Extra Money”, but Cason I think is ok but the Chargers Defense was pretty bad but I guess. He is no Sean Smith. Speaking of Sean, WTH happened Darren??? Was that crap a rumor just like the Reggie Bush news?? I think the Cards FO gets caught up in naming good football players rather than signing those good football players.

15. By Ryan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I wonder if we pick up Landry if that means we will cut Rhodes, johnson at fs and Landry at ss

16. By Dennis on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Bush signs with the Lions, gotta believe he would have been a better choice than Mendenhall.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Sarah –

RE: Stanton/Hoyer

Hoyer got a $2.02M tender offer.

Here are their stats:http://www.azcardinals.com/team/roster/Brian-Hoyer/2430416b-7b17-42f3-9e8c-3aeba7f07b7b

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Names

I think you need to figure out who is leaking the names. The team isn’t putting those out there.

19. By lg on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

we dont need to let none of the free agent leave without a deal i like them all.

20. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

In addition to Mendenhall (1 yr 2.5 with an additional 1 mil performance bonus- PERFECT!) Here are all of the names I could find who are currently being discussed as possible signings with the Cards: Am I missing any?

QB Drew Stanton
    WR/KR Josh Cribbs
    ILB Rey Maualuga
    ILB/ST Lorenzo Alexander
    CB Antoine Cason
    CB Jerraud Powers
    S Larron Landry
    S Gerald Sensebaugh

Am I missing any that you have heard of?

21. By JR Chuta on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhall is not a team-player and injures easily! He will also cough-up the football in key situations as he is not very good at taking a hit (best example was when he fumbled in key drive during the Packers-Steelers Superbowl. Very likely this blunder cost the Steelers the game!). Congrats Cards Fans, he is now your problem! Oh and by the way, he is one of those lunatics that believes our own government ordered the destruction of the Twin Towers just so we could go to war!!! And believes we should hear out Osama Bin Laden before making a judgement call. WTF?!

22. By frankie on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I dont understand what were trynna do here but why do they keep trying to bring in unproven Qb ?? Ive never even heard of these guys. If your gonna bring in new players why dont you bring ones that will make an instant impact. And no lineman ??? theres a few good ones out there lets make something happen no Qb will be good with our line. We have to compete with a very talented nfc west now im kinda disappointed with what were doing so far.

23. By Andy Kw on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I read in the Washington Examiner that the Arizona Cardinals are close to a deal with LB Lorenzo Alexander, is that true?

24. By tyman on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Rashard Mendenhall is a great player.
    Great job Cards Bruce and Steve…so far

25. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Soon as I hit send…add Nnamdi to the list. 3 capable corners being considered puts the Cards in a position of power in any negotiations. It is a buyers market right now for corners.

26. By clssylssy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I see where Stewart Bradley signed with the Broncos…not too shaby for a Cards “castoff”. Any more news on Lorenzo Alexander? I know the Skins sure hate to lose him but can’t afford him because of their cap issues and while he’s not on our “must have” list, he would be a good investment for the defense/special teams.

27. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Looking at the list of names coming in, corners, ILBs, and a QB. I cant help but think what Arians said. You feel your needs in FA, then you can pick the best player in the draft.

A one year contract to Mendenhal could signal a late round RB drafted. A vet stop gap, an oft injured Williams and a late RB. By next year, we will know where we are at with regards to williams. Just keep your eyes on Knile Davis in the 4-6 rounds.

Maualuga will fix the ILB spot and eliminate the need in the draft.

Cason/Powers at Cb would allow Fleming another year to blossom or turn into a nickle.

Stanton and Hoyer would be a stop gap for a QB in next year’s draft.

OK, to me The writing is on the wall for the draft . OLB who can rush the passer, unless they surprise everyone and get Avril (dont see it). Other than that, not much out there that is young. No doubt the Oline will be addressed a couple of times in the draft, and maybe a TE will be addressed in the draft too.

Keep clearing money. Go young.

28. By fearthetweettweet on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Why would they cut Rhodes? He was worth the money he was going to be paid with how well he has played for us.

29. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Kerry Rhodes cut. I am surprised. I get it, 4.5 million in cap space. I liked Kerry but keep blowing it up guys.

come on, Kolb, Dockett, College.

30. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Forgot the D in colledge.

Dont arrest me for saying college and blow up in the same sentence.

31. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Oh wait Darren,

Asomugha and AZ linked. Cards have a need at FS after Rhodes released. Cards interested in other CBs.

Am I going to get my wish and watch PP be moved to safety? As I said before, plays in front of him, covering sideline to side line, slot guys, he could make so many more plays, ala Ed Reed. Sure he is a good CB but I believe he could be a hall of fame safety.

32. By shane on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

is it ture the cards are going to or already released Kerry Rhodes?

33. By erik on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Rhodes is gone :(

34. By Retire #81 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

i cant believe the comments I am reading, all you cards fans are trippin. for years I have seen comments complaining about all these steelers cast offs coming to arizona, now every body is all juiced up about this same garbage move that we have been seeing for years now, they want a running back, so they cut the only good one they have, let the fragile a$$ ryan bust williams stay(not to mention he was Ken W draft pick), and sign rashard on a one year? Just like all these “experts” say, these guys are free agents for a reason, although i do not entirely believe that is the case with all FA’s, I do believe the free agents backs this season were not worth their former teams time, plenty of running backs in the draft, whatever happened to building there??

35. By Retire #81 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Also, if the cards do not plan on being able to find their guy at QB this year, then why even bother to cut kolb, the morons in the front office made the decision to trade for him so stick with it, i am tired of teams signing huge contracts and then droppin guys 2 years later, mine as well get your money and draft picks worth and let him play after all its this dam teams fault for not giving him an o line in the first place, kolb had us 4-0 before they let him get destroyed, for all you know with a good 0 line that 4-0 could have been 7 or 8-0.

36. By Daniel C on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Why did the cardinals cut Kerry Rhodes. he have been a ballhawk the latest year?

and then they sign an old man?

37. By johnnybluenose on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

very, very eventful day. we are definitely going to need a program to know who the players are this year. let’s hope this team, including the coaches, can come together quickly. there is a lot of work to be done.

38. By Retire #81 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

yall should have known when we all found out what they were paying steve anyway, hahahahaha dam I kno pro skateboarders who make more money than that

39. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

That is insane amount of money for a guy who threw an obscure minimal amount of passes, is that annual or 3 years ?

Here is bio of Stanton who just signed. The guy has hardly played in the NFL, Lindley has played more !

Stanton, who was a second-round selection by the Detroit Lions back in 2007, has started four games in five NFL seasons. He’s appeared in 12 total contests.

Stanton has thrown for 1,158 yards, five touchdowns and nine interceptions as a pro.

The move reunites Stanton with head coach Bruce Arians, who was the former Michigan State star’s offensive coordinator with the Indianapolis Colts in 2012. Stanton, however, didn’t get into a game playing behind Andrew Luck last season and hasn’t thrown a pass since 2010.

40. By tyman on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

is Drew Stanton any good?

41. By D on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Y. Bell is a downgrade from Rhodes…I know Rhode’s cap number was bad and he probably didn’t want to restructure….I would go after B. Pollard as another safety because Bell is 35yr old and is more of a backup these days….

42. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Actually Lindley has played less, Stanton is unproven in the NFL though.This will be interesting and I hope they are not picturing Stanton as the starter with no starts since 2010 and only 4 at that.

43. By TRE FAN SINCE 72..... on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I LIKE SOME OF THE PICKS SO FAR.. MENDENHALL IS A GOOD PIC. BUT WE NEED A FURTURE QUARTERBACK DRADTED NOW, THEN MABY READY IN A COUPLE YRS…… WHAT HAS STANTON DONE?????? HE JUST ANOTHER KOLB????? WE NEED TO GET AWAY FRM THAT TYPE OF PLAYER….. AND HOYER I SAW THE MONEY PUT ON THE TABLE … U HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.. WHY AND WHAST WE GONNA GET OUTTA HIM … MORE PIC 6′S.. MORE 3 DWNS AND OUT… COME ON CARDS … “STEPT YO GAME UP”……

44. By cardsalltheway on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

joe holst,

Gotta agree with you and I’ll bet Beanie would’ve come cheaper? But according to the thumbs not many do. Sad to say though we’ll probably both be proven correct. The hype has already begun on R. Mendenhall, he’s got a video up on this site. R. Williams & R. Williams, two peas in a pod(major knee surgeries). Certainly we can rely on them aye:( If William Powell ain’t better than both of them you can call me maybe. But shhh don’t tell anyone, just play along. I don’t care what R. Williams did in college or what R. Mendenhall did before he ripped his ACL. W. Powell averaged more yards per carry than anyone on our team last year despite his predicament(stacked deck). He’s one unlucky guy I’ll tell ya, and probably already 3rd on the depth chart?

The Rhodes release was unexpected and replacing A. Wilson with a 35 year old, hmmm. Our QB’s look like they’re shapping up though, as do our LB’s.

45. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren you must be one busy guy today.

Here is the Stanton deal.

Stanton’s three-year contract is worth $8.2 million with $3 million guaranteed. An additional $12 million in incentives are built into the deal, according to Jeremiah, which brings the possible total value to $20.2 million.

Personally this is crazy money for an unproven player.

46. By Corgon on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Rhodes?!!?? C’mon man! Veteran. Leader. Good player. Still jus 30. Lack of safeties. How the hell could be this a good move? Who will play next year for the Cards?
    I don’t get it.

Now let’s cut Dockett, release the Hyphen, trade Fitz and everything gonna be fine. Cribbs will help us. This is start to be a nightmare.

47. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

darren how much agaisnt the cap does this move with kerry rhodes account for

48. By lg on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

bell is 35 and he’s going too replace rhodes who is 31 as a starter that’s B’S

49. By Buck on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

The smart ones say you build your team through the draft. We got our money’s worth in FA and bought depth. Now let;s wait for the draft and then see what the coaches can do with the material they have, I think it will be a better team tha last year.

50. By jeffgollin on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Whew!

With reports out that Kerry Rhodes has been released, will that have an impact on our interest in Landry?

51. By Campbells on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Kerry Rhodes cut!!!
    Didn’t see that coming

52. By Scott H on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

OK, so we still have an injury prone offensive backfield. Seems to me the Steelers were definitely expecting more from Mendenhall last year but didn’t get it because he was never able to deliver it. The one year deal tells me this is nothing more than a flier. Darren points out other recent one-year deals that worked out well. For one year. Then, those players were out the door and other teams continued to benefit from their services. OK…are we expecting any different if Mendenhall comes here and actually performs well? Or, will this merely be a one-year try out for someone else? Hey, don’t accuse me of being negative. I’m merely reacting based on what recent REALITY has been.

And of course, on the other side of the coin, there is the scenario that he comes here and is a flop either because of the injury or whatever. OK…and? Sure, the organization can feel just great because he was not a significant investment. However, by the time that is realized, ANOTHER season will have gone down the drain. Then? Back to the drawing board? Again????

Sorry, but I think we achieved very little here. Cutting one in-jury prone RB just to pick up another seems like nothing but an even swap.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks just signed Avril from the Lions and THERE you have the difference in how these two teams are conducting business and THERE you have the reason why one team has gone through the ceiling and the other has gone in the toilet.

Insert toilet flush sound effects here. And pass the febreeze.

53. By Scott H on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Oh, and there goes Kerry Rhodes out the door now??? One of the VERY few quality veteran players / leaders we still had??? Nice. Looks like a repeat of the 2009 off-season where SOOOOO much went out the door and SOOOOO little came back in.

But, hey, gotta stick with what works, right?

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski –

RE: Rhodes cap

Saves $6M of cap space. Zero dead money.

55. By lg on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

darren i seen a report that we signed josh cribbs is that tru.

56. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

First off, Darren thanks for all the heavy lifting today with you getting fire hosed with information.

Three million guaranteed for Stanton on 4 games that he has started and has not thrown an NFL game pass since 2010, the Jets had him for like a week. OK that is seriously out there, basically we are walking it back to his college days and basing it on that almost. Kolb is gone with this signing today, that is a big contract (20 million potential) and they will push this guy as the starter for sure. Hello Arizona Colts and hope it works out as this is as big a roll of the dice as Kolb was based on playing time, his TD to interception ratio is worse than Skelton’s who was at least 6-2 in 2011.

All these new bodies will have to gel and I am curious how the linebacking core will work out ?

57. By cardsalltheway on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

For 2x as much money as Beanie would’ve gotten? Imagine Beanie not showing up for a game because he didn’t like Ken W’s decision? What people/players say is one thing, what they do is another. I’m not happy so I’m going to play hooky today. R. Mendenhall claims he has faith, that it’s more important than football or something like that but I wonder where that faith was last year when he skipped a game? He told Doug and Wolf/suggested we go to his blog so here it is…
    “If I placed my faith in football, it wouldn’t be a very strong faith….”

He hasn’t updated his huffingtonpost blog since Oct./2012(before he skipped a game in December) but here…”Having an Open Mind”…
    “…I genuinely enjoy learning and taking the time to understand the truest meaning of things. I put that same effort into trying to understand people…”

58. By Faux Darren on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhall didn’t fit in well the Rainbow Warriors. I look forward to seeing his production.

59. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Does your gut tell you the Cards will still try to draft another RB in the draft? On paper we look set (Powell and Smith also in the mix and LSH uncertain), but injury history is a concern (Mendenhall and Williams).

60. By clssylssy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Kerry Rhodes was one of our most consistent playmakers and pillar of our defense. This is starting to look like a “Reign of Terror” by the new regime cleaning house from the old regime and bringing in more castoffs from the Steelers and Colts. The best signing today was Lorenzo Alexander and he was not even on the “must have” list! Just because Denver was looking at Mendenhall apparently gave him creds despite the fact that he hasn’t really done anything of note since he was injuried. Don’t know what the affinity for taking on broken players is but am glad at least this contract is provisional as the Kolb contract should have been.
    I am seeing red and feeling blue over the Rhodes cut but am starting to feel like our loss is their gain as the players we don’t see value in are landing with teams who are contenders. Hope Rhodes gets with a good team who will appreciate his contributions and considerable skill…maybe he can join the killer defense Ray Horton is putting together in Cleveland! In the meantime, what about that offense that was SUPPOSE to be the priority?

61. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

zero dead money is the key

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Ottis –

RE: RB in draft

It wouldn’t surprise me but I don’t think it’s a lock.

63. By tbru on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Pretty sure the Mendenhall graphic should say Skokie Il, not Stokie

Tbru, in Chicago

64. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

tbru –

RE: Graphic

Appreciate it. We are aware. We will fix as quick as we can.

65. By dan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Prefer throwing big money AT SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMEN like Jake Long……just saying.

66. By clssylssy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Everyone saw the importance of a killder defense in winning Championship games last year and the Cards strength, it’s defense, has been dismantled to save a few bucks, replacing playmakers with the walking wounded. With regard to the Rhodes cut, the “zero dead money” is only an illusion if his replacement isn’t able to perform the job as well as or better than Rhodes. A “bargain” isn’t worth anything unless it is a comparable substitute and works. Smoke and mirrors may have worked in the past but fans want something a little more exciting and compretitive…throwing stuff up against the wall to see if it sticks is not the answer!

67. By t.stone on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Mendenhall? Jerome Bettis wasn’t available?

68. By Coach Kevin on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

No Rey Maleleuga. He’s bad news

69. By Jack on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

More steeler castaways?More carreer back up qb’s ? Next thing you know we’ll draft a wash out usc qb. How about we dont follow the same recipe for disaster.

70. By Showme Lady on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

We sure have a lot of experts in the field of player evaluations. Mr. Keim should hire some of these guys, to carry out the trash.

We have done a good job so far, and as for Beinie Wells, good riddance to a lazy player. Mendenhall gives it all each time he carries unlike Beanie.

As for the two QBs, I can think of three that were backups prior to being premier QBs. Can you? WE need to think of the 49rs, New Orleans, Green Bay, and even New England. Nuff said.

71. By Showme Lady on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

In addendum, has anyone heard who the Coach of the year was. I think he took a team that had a bunch of rookies to the playoffs? Must know something about developing players and can I mention PLAY CALLING………….OH YEH, CARDIAC CARDS ARE GOING TO BE BACK……..the rest of you naysayers go back to your own teams site. niner whiners, sheeple people, sea chickens. yeh, we don’t need your tripe here.