From quiet to crazy in free agency

Posted by Darren Urban on March 13, 2013 – 4:45 pm

The first day was quiet. Today, not so much.

In come a host of free agents (many necessary after the recent purge of veterans): a quarterback in Drew Stanton, a running back in Rashard Mendenhall, a linebacker/special teamer in Lorenzo Alexander, a cornerback in Jerraud Powers and a safety in Yeremiah Bell. The Bell thing came out of left field a bit, but so too did the release of safety Kerry Rhodes. Dropping both starting safeties in less than a week’s time.

A quick note on Rhodes. The team saves $6 million in both cap space and cash outlay by letting him go in 2013. There was no way that was ever going to stand. The plan late in the season last year was to extend Rhodes’ deal and lower that 2013 number. I don’t know what happened exactly, but I still think there was talk in that regard even after the regime change. Rhodes hits an open market with a secondary glut, and he’ll be fighting Charles Woodson, Ed Reed and Adrian Wilson, among others, for a job. I do not think Bell is to be Rhodes’ long-term solution. For 2013? Maybe. Let’s see how the rest of free agency goes and how the draft plays out. The draft is deep in safeties, and remember, GM Steve Keim said one of the things he wanted to do this year was take a big picture view of how the draft and free agency fit together based on available players in both areas.

As for the players the Cardinals signed, we will see how it plays out. I’m not going to sit here and say they are saviors. But we don’t know how they will fit. I found it interesting, when Stanton was talking about the offensive line, that he mentioned that a change in scheme could change the way a unit or player played. We usually look at the downside of that, but there can be upside too. I don’t know how they will fit.

If Powers stays healthy, I think that can be a good signing, and if the Cardinals manage to nab Antoine Cason too — he will visit soon — to go with Patrick Peterson, all the better. There are still young players like Jamell Fleming and Justin Bethel to add in the mix, and that factors in too. Bell in the end could just be this year’s James Sanders. Mendenhall said he is healthy and has been since about the middle of last season, which is good for a player who could end up being the main back — depending how Ryan Williams responds.

There are more moves to come. Stanton’s arrival, as I keep repeating, doesn’t bode well for the future of Kevin Kolb and that decision has to be made probably by Friday anyway, since his roster bonus is due over the weekend. Linebacker Rey Maualuga left Wednesday without a deal, but reportedly Vikings linebacker Jasper Brinkley is coming in for a visit. Then there is the Josh Cribbs watch, with multiple reports still have him in conversations with the Cards.

There’s a whole offseason to analyze the moves. And I’m sure we all will.

StantonBlogCrazyUSE

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

84 Responses to “From quiet to crazy in free agency”

1. By Seanham3 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I am actually pretty impressed with the decisions that Keim and Co. have made thus far. I know a lot of fans will be very critical of the release and lack of signings of players like Groves and Toler. But just have to understand that this is a re tooling year for us and our best chance to succeed is to make some decisions in free agency and draft that will get us to an elite level.

I like Drew as a quarterback and hope him the best, with that said it is time for Kolb to pack his bags and find the exit.

2. By D on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Brinkly–don’t know much about him…Dansby is the best inside LB on the market, only 31…doubt if they would bring him back though….

3. By aaron on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Underrared moves. If Cason signs, that’s a good free agency. Now they can go into the draft with high picks for OLine and pass rush.

4. By Brian on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren, get ready for the furor over the Cardinals “letting” Avril go to Seattle…

5. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

darren

This offseason reminds me of the 2002 offseason total revamp it has the same feeling not good man. I understand my boy justin bethel will be contending for the #1 Fs i’m cool with it b/c i know he is the real deal.hollyfield.

Now for the moves Y.Bell scrub backup would have rather kept A-Dub

Drew stanton-scrub reminds me of john navarre

Powers lol david macklin scrub

O-Linemen (0)

lol well im saying it right now johnny manziel will be looking very nice in cardinal red.kinda thinking

looks like Tackle,Quaterback,will be adressed with our top 2 picks

6. By nodavis2000 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Interesting signings… I hope that we can put together a good team with this.year’s FA and the draftees.

I’m more than a little shocked and upset about Rhodes release. I thought he would get a new deal …

7. By shane on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Have you herd anything about Sean smith is he out of the picture to come here?

8. By JosEPh on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

@Darren,
    With the Stanton and Hoyer signings it would seem that having 5 QBs on the roster is a bit much, and Does not bode well for any of last year’s QB group, Kolb included, don’t you think?

The draft really needs to be about the OL for 2 of the 1st 3 picks. I’m not to keen on Geno (and I think he will be gone before the 7th pick too), but at 2nd rd Barrett Jones at Center/G (who also played T at Bama) would be an excellent addition after a Fisher or Johnson 1st rd pick. We should have an excellent chance in the 2nd rd for grabbing Barrett Jones. After that what ever holes need filled with BPA. Just my opinion on what I think is the direction the team needs to focus on.

9. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I retract my comments about Mendenhal. He seems to have been playing forever but he is only 25. With last year being his only year out with injury. A one year deal was smart.

35 Yr old Bell screams stop gap. Drafting Eric Reid in the 3rd round???

Powers is a good CB but I hate guys who are always injured. 3 years in a row of injuries is a huge question.

I am very interested in Stanton. With 12 million in incentives, Arians has some faith in this guy. Goodbye Kevin Kolb and hello 7.5 million in cap space. Give Stanton a chance to earn this position and see what evolves. Am I backing off a rookie QB? Just maybe. AJ McCarrens could be a nice fit next year.

I loved Brinkley coming out in the draft a few years ago. This guy is a thumper. He is a liability in coverage but from tackle to tackle, you are going to get hit.

Cason is a U of A guy who was a former first rounder who never lived up to it. Talented? yes. Not sure why he isn’t better but a favorable contract, bring him aboard.

One more thing, going from bruiser Olineman to zone blockers is interesting. Stanton is correct. Tackle Lane Johnson seems to fit, Kyle Long, David Quessenbury, Barrett Jones, ll seem to be targets in the draft. Of course guys like Warmack, Jonathon Cooper, Fisher and Joeckel can play any offense.

10. By horboy80 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I like the moves so far. Another CB and a run stopping MLB and I feel like this years FA is a success. We need to keep in mind that we are not, regardless of how optimistic we choose to be, ready to win now. Our D had it’s issues last year even though they played better than I expected. The offense was horrible but maybe some new faces, coaches, and players can give it a push in the right direction. We need to continue to build through the draft and add solid players through FA now. The playmakers will come once we have a solid foundation established. Be patient Birdgang, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Or two.

11. By Christo on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I am liking it so far.

Rhodes cut doesn’t make mee happy, but as mentioned there is a tonne of talent there.

Now to see what is up with Kolb . . . not sure why this is being saved for last?

12. By joe holst on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

ugh what a disaster. Seahawks got a pro bowler in cliff avril. y.Bell had a whopping 2 passes defensed last year. Can this secondary really stop Bodin and crabtree with veronon davis. Don’t be confused Card fans just because these players are new doesn’t mean they are any good. Beanie Wells on his way to Steelers ,1300 yard season.

13. By horboy80 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I like the moves so far. Another CB and a run stopping MLB and I feel like this years FA is a success. We need to keep in mind that we are not, regardless of how optimistic we choose to be, ready to win now. Our D had it’s issues last year even though they played better than I expected. The offense was horrible but maybe some new faces, coaches, and players can give it a push in the right direction. We need to continue to build through the draft and add solid role players through FA now. The playmakers will come once we have a solid foundation established. Be patient Birdgang, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Or two.

14. By Steve Lee on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Maybe Arians knows something we don’t, but where are the offensive linemen?

15. By Mike G on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Lots of moves by the Card’s in the 2nd day. A lot of swapping in my opinion. Bell for Rhodes, Mendenhall for Wells, and Powers for Toler. The Card’s do a nice job on the salary cap front. I still think this team needs to make its hay in the draft, I would like to see one of the lineman chosen as a first round pick. The Card’s must get more physical at the line of scrimmage. Hey Darren–Do you think the Card’s will run the ball more under Arian’s regime or the prior Whiz regime??????

16. By WhoTHCares on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

It’s weird… as much i try to like the stanton move, then i don’t understand the Hoyer move unless they can let him sign his tender and then trade him away? I just believed and still believe in kolb? Maybe just to get more leverage against him to make him take a pay cut? Qs, Qs, Qs…

Otherwise people be ready to roll with Stanton, Hoyer and A drafted QB? well then i don’t know how we’ll fare against these NFCW Defenses.

The Mendenhall move i like, as i do all the others, filling up depth and not overpaying!

And i don’t get it if their mind is already made up with keepin Hoyer and Stanton… why even bother to keep Kolb mainly and Skelton/Lindley on the roster if you’re drafting another QB anyway? Still hope we might try to trade away Hoyer then after signing tender? small chance?

17. By Retire #81 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I just want this one, legitimate questioned answered. Why are guys like Wilson, Rhodes, Gay etc, guys on defense, being cut for cap space when you have guys on offense like Fitz, Skelton, Kolb, or Floyd who take up cap space as well. The offense is what needs to be fixed, our D was boss, now its basically in shambles again. I dont get it, how is this helping the team? Now they have to respend money on defense as well

18. By Gary on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Lets hope the Cards bring in some better talent than what we see so far. Losing all the guys we have so far blows away what we have brought in. If Powers can stay healthy he could be a good pickup. Mendenhall should be decent, but we already had the same guy in Beanie. Lorenzo Alexander is a good special teamer. Yeremiah Bell could be a decent backup but not a starter and he is like 35.
    Drew Stanton has yet to do anything in the NFL that says he can start after six years. Now if the Cards bring in Sean Smith ar at least DRC at CB then I will get excited. Conner Barwin would be a good replacement for losing Quentin Groves.

We started out needing a pass rusher and an inside linebacker on defense and now need two safeties as well.

On offense we started out needing a starting QB and one or two offensive linemen. Now we also need a WR. The team is worse now than what it was just a week ago.

19. By Scott Shipley on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Two questions,

1. The roster lists Bethel as a safety, but by your comments it sounds like he is now a CB. Has his position changed?

2. I read an article in which Lorenzo Alexander said he is the starting OLB, what does that mean for Acho/Schofield? Who is the second starter, who is the odd man out?

20. By steve on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Where do the Cards stand as far as Salary Cap space after these moves?

21. By dynasty1717 on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

These moves don’t seem to make us better. They seem to make us worse. I hope the front office is planning for most of these guys to provide depth at certain positions, not come in as starters. How do we expect to be competitive with either Hoyer, Stanton, or a rookie (low rookie QB talent pool according to many) as our starter in a division that is absolutely loaded with defensive talent? It is fine if we don’t want to spend a ton of money in FA to get an Avril, Goldson, or Wallace, etc. But why NOT try to sign Dustin Keller, Shaun Phillips, etc. that could make the team better as a starter without breaking the bank? It would have been better for the Cards to pick up Ryan Fitzpatrick than sign Stanton. I hope the Draft goes a lot better than FA has thus far.

22. By Terry E on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Wow! I of course know Mendenhall & Stanton but not familiar with the other 3. I’m not sure what Stanon means for Kolb but my guess is he ends up a Buffalo Bill before the weekend is out.

23. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I get it that Rhodes had a huge salary but he also had a great season, Did the management even consider restructuring a deal or no? Just curious he had a great year and to me was worth trying to work out another deal?

Mahalo for your thoughts

24. By Dre on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Lame

25. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Looks like the defense is mostly addressed in FA. Beside Brinkley and Cason, I dont know if there is anyone else to go after. (besides back ups)

So For the draft needs;

OLB who can rush the passer.

DE to replace Dockett. It is going to happen. If not this year, next.

FS- we have a 35 yr old safety.

For Offense;
    WR is set.
    TE, we could use another inline guy
    QB- well that is obvious
    RB- a late round guy
    OLIne – I think two guards, a center and Tackle.

First round possibilities;
    Jarvis Jones, OLB. Star Lotullelei, DE, Lane Johnson, Jonathon Cooper, G, Chance Warmack, G, Dion Jordon, OLB, Luke Joeckel, T and Eric Fisher, T

Second Round possibilities;
    Jessie Williams, DE, Terron Armstead, T, Justin Pugh, T/G, Jamie Collins, OLB

Third round possibilities;
    Kyle Long, T/G, Eric Reid, FS, Michael Buchanan, OLB, Baccari Rambo, FS, Barrett Jones, C/G,

4th round my guy is David Quessenbury, T/G

Take anyone from each of these 3 rounds and we will be in good shape.

One more thing- dont forget Taylor Lewen and Jake Mathews are in next years draft.

26. By DuaneS on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Overall, I am quite pleased. I hate seeing Rhodes go..and was shocked to see both of our safeties gone.
    By all accounts Stanton will at the very least be a competent QB…and he sure looks happy to be here.
    All in all, while sad to see some of the guys gone, will be anxious to see how this makeover goes….looks like a few more moves before the draft….

27. By William Barry on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I think Stanton will be a very good QB for us. I think he is a tall QB, something Kolb, could not manage well, always exiting the pocket, and not throwing on his front foot, and putting force into his throws..

I like the mendenhall pick, a sold runner inside.

Yeremiah bell is a proven DB.

Continue Mr. Keim and BA, trying to win the West.

28. By Andy Kw on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Can’t we bring back Kerry Rhodes? He was pretty darn good.

29. By Chuck angry chuck on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

So Arians comes in and kicks out two of the cardinals most loyal and community minded players, Wilson and kerry. In exchange for two of his colts?!?Wha a selfish move, he gets what he wants but now the cardinal fans lose two irreplaceable players. I hope he’s happy.

30. By D on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

My guess going forward in free agency. Cards will sign another Corner, MLB and Safety and they will release all 3 QB’s from last year.(may keep one of them until the draft) I also think with a bonus this Sat to D. Colledge they will cut him and sign a G in free agency. Maybe a M. Slauson or G Schwartz. They will keep Synder as a backup since there is no benefit in cutting him.

If this happens, then they won’t feel bad passing either Cooper or Warmack at 7 in the draft. I think they will take 1-2 Off lineman in the draft by round 4, but unless Fisher or Jockel falls to 7, I don’t see AZ taking a Off Lineman at 7 I could see them having the chance to take either D. Jordan OLB or E. Ansah OLB both could be that much needed pass rusher this defense needs.

(with the Browns getting Kruger and having J. Sheard on the roster, doubt they will go pass rusher at 6)

31. By iammattyoung on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Just my opinion, but these are some pretty questionable moves that seem to have been made, once again, because of personal ties to Bruce Arians. We basically cut Beanie to pay an extra $1 mil in base salary to another injury prone guy with a bad attitude (Mendenhall). We cut a safety who has put up Pro Bowl number two years running (Rhodes) and another safety whose leadership is irreplaceable (Wilson) for a 9-year(!) veteran who has never lived up to his potential (Bell). I thought we wanted to get younger! We signed a QB who has shown nothing to suggest that he’s one iota better than Skelton or Lindley (Stanton). We let Greg Toler get away for a cornerback who profootballfocus.com has ranked lower than AJ Jefferson (Powers). And on top of that, we are going after a guy in Maualuga who Cincy fans are happy to part ways with, a corner in Antoine Cason who PFF has ranked as their 4th-worst free-agent CB (one spot ahead of William Gay). Does Arians have a kid, a friend from kindergarten, maybe his mailman, who he’s going to sign up next? Come on Keim! You’re in charge now, flex some muscle.

32. By Jason on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I am just having a hard time understanding the Bell signing. Why not keep Wilson and sign Johnson to play FS (which he has in past, and could again with an offseason). Bring in a young guy to learn from ADub, who has been the heart and soul of this team. Difference in money between Bell and Wilson can’t be more than 1mil. Bell is older than Wilson and below average in coverage and run support. Just an absolute slap to the face of a Cardinal great Adrian Wilson.

33. By georgiebird on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Arians and Keim are pushing all the right buttons. This is a clinic on addition by subtraction.The FO is getting rid of guys who won’t be around for the turnaround.

34. By Wnycardfan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Not so sure on mendenhall, seems like a long shot, so I am to too thrilled
    The qb signings I’m neutral on. Perhaps the master coach knows something we don’t.
    I do like some if the other signings and with the amount of def backs out there we should get something decent.
    Lets hope so

35. By Credit Card on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Lets face it, the Cards cannot finish any worse than last place, as they did last year. Therefore, may as well get rid of the expensive players, and take a shot at different players. Can’t be worse than being last again. It is worthwhile rehauling the roster.

36. By Madriffs on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Uhm… I am actually a little bit impressed. Great grabs in FA. Still havn’t made any moves on O-Line but the draft is coming up so they may patch that up there. Hey Darren, are the Card’s really considering Urlacher?

37. By Fatdog on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

This could be a short stay for BA I had hoped for Jake Long or Bushrod maybe we could still get Andry Smith we need OL and now Safety the D was in great shape and yet they gutted it.

38. By Sackman on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

The SPLASH, the SPLASH has come. I won’t say it is a Big SPLASH. But it has arrived. Good moves so far it looks like more to come. The SPLASH I suspect will come within 2 days. I think some of you know what I’m talking about!!!

39. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Sean Smith

I have heard nothing about him. Doubt he is in the mix.

40. By Safety Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Any idea why a lot of these folks are so disgruntled about the pickups being made? Words like second best, other teams castoffs and losers. I guess they forgot that Kurt came from AFL cut by rams, and giants, played time as backup.
    I don’t get it! They do realize that arians is a well revered coach that other teams would give their eye teeth for , and this year has a say in who comes in and who he CAN coach don’t they? Let alone the big pile he has to clean up from the past couple years.
    I have to say… I see a lot of good things starting to take shape. And I can be patient and give the FO a chance. Just don’t get some of these folks. They may have more knowledge than me, given, but they can’t say I’m not a Cards fan. Good or Bad I back my team.

Off my soap box now.

Thanks

41. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Run/pass

No idea. We will see.

42. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Scott –

RE: Bethel/Alexander

Bethel has played both. I think Alexander would still have to win a job, but he’ll have a chance.

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Cap space

No idea. Everything very fluid right now.

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Rhodes

I explain it in the post above.

45. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Jason –

RE: Money difference

You sure about that?

Also, Bell might not end up the starter. Let’s say they want to draft and play a safety. You going to bench Wilson? That’d be awkward.

46. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Madriffs –

RE: Urlacher

The report said they had showed some interest. I would doubt him coming.

47. By Erick Mexico on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Please, McNabb, Fitzpatrick,Cassel. I know that this player are not good at all but Staton, Kolb, Hoyer, and Skelton!?!?! Then, why don´t look Jake Long? The last season the team have two problems Qb´s and OL. Finally, WTF!?!?! Released Wilson, Rhodes,Beanie and contract Yeremiah Bell and Lorenzo Alexander??What next, release Fitz!?!?! I really don´t understand the plan for the next season but I can see Jhonny Manziel with the Cards uniform. 0-16 Go Cards!!

48. By In Arians We Trust on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Re: Stanton, who knows. I mean, I know Steve Young had to wait behind Joe Montana, and Rodgers behind Favre, but most of the time a guy is a backup QB because his skills are those of a backup QB. And this guy came into the league same year as Kolb (drafted a few picks after Kolb), and for a couple years wasn’t even the backup, but a third stringer… six years later he’s thrown fewer than 200 passes and not one in the past two years. Now, granted, I don’t think you can read too much into his stats because they are limited, and given he was playing behind Stafford and then Luck I can’t say he might not be a legit QB who just happened to be on a team with better ones, but is there anything about this guy’s record to date that would make anyone feel any better about our QB situation than, say, when Kolb arrived two years ago?

I’m intrigued and of course if this is the guy Arians wants I am supportive, but I’m not kidding myself either that this instantly makes the Cards a lot better.

49. By Joe Chaundy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Overall I like these signings. I like Stanton. Hes is big and athletic with a good arm. With the right coaching he can be very solid. I am pleased with Mendenhal. Yes he had a off year last year but 1000 plus yards the years before and he is only 25. Again with a good coaching staff, could be special.
    The other signings while not flashy are solid.
    I guess what I am amazed about mostly are alot of the so-called “fans”.
    I have been a fan for over 40 years (back from the St.Louis cardinals days) and sat through my share of dismal times and I find these times exciting. A nice house cleaning. After 3 horrible losing seasons in a row, I am so looking forward to strong leadership and a strong solid team. I ask all fans…. support your newly overhauled, new and improved 2013 Arizona Cardinals!!!

50. By Zach on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I have questions regarding 2 free agents:

First, I have read multiple reports linking Nnamdi Asomugha to the Arizona Cardinals. Have you heard anything regarding this?

Second, what are the chances in your opinion that the Cardinals bring Kerry Rhodes back at a lower salary? (I know its not very likely, but do you think it is at all a possibility?)

51. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Zach –

RE: Questions

1) I saw Namdi linked. Don’t know how serious it would really be. I can see them signing another CB, but not sure it’d be Namdi.

2) As I mentioned in the post above, I think there is a chance that was already discussed and for whatever reason, didn’t work out.

52. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

All I can say is why guarantee Stanton 3 million for showing up here ? Jets shipped him out and he was basically unemployed having not been in a game since 2010. Let him compete for a spot same as Hoyer who is not guaranteed and was also unemployed when we picked him up. Still think Skelton if he gets his act together can beat these two guys out easily. The fact is that Stanton is now Arians guy and the latter is long a contract without knowing fully the worth of the guy, sound familiar ?

I wish we had scored Manning last year, if we had he would have been sacked a ton as well.

53. By pacardfan on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I know you’ve been a very busy man lately, but have you heard anything on A-Dub and the Hyphen (if they have visited anywhere or who may be interested in them)? Also, what our your thoughts on either of them signing back with the Cardinals if they don’t sign elsewhere and the Cards. could bring them back at a lower price?
    Just wondering……I’m trying to follow both men b/c they two that I’ll support and follow anywhere, just wished their days in red were’nt gone.

54. By BIRDFN on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

I’m tired of reading these posts about bad decisions being made, the new coaching staff knows a lot more about these players than any of you genius fans, have faith in the staff . I’m impressed by some of the moves they have made, they are releasing all of the over paid under achievers and they haven’t over paid for any of the free agents they have signed. Good job cardinals, I’m excited for the upcoming season!!

55. By ored on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

feels like a plan taking shape,fitting the pieces together,coaching them to play together,sprinkle in some dynamic talent in the draft,lots of vet experience for the newcomers,love it when a plan comes together.
    we started two rookie tackles last year,now they know what it’s about,an offseason and spring training,bodies healed,new coaching emphasis on team blocking(that will help the o-line immensley),now instead of random positions playing out of sorts,it will be a cohesive unit acting in unison(well,we hope anyway).i think our guard play will respond,i think there is talent there,just has’nt been coached very well as a unit,and that may have been a lack of coaches for that position.should’nt be a problem going forward.but either way with the strides massie and potter made,a healthy levi,a boatload of talent in the draft,don’t think our o-line will be a problem this year.

draft is deep at olb also,two stud linebackers,a qb that BA is comfortable with,and some quality young depth-feels like being a kid again at christmas,lol.not to worry about what other teams are doing,mind our store and let them worry about what we are doing.

56. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Retire#81

The answer to your questions

Fitz is due 10.25 million but cap hit is 18 million of dead money
    Floyd is due 2.266 million but his cap hit is 8.158 million of dead money
    cutting or trading these two would be killer to the cap.

while
    Wilson freed up 3 million
    Rhodes freed up 6 million
    I dont have Gays number.

As for Kolb, it is just a matter of time. Maybe they are trying to trade him and he has to restructure his contract for the new team. What ever it is, Kolb is owed 13.5 million and if cut, he only counts as 6 million, freeing up 7.5 million of the cap.

As for Skelton, he makes 675,000. You could just bring him to camp or cut him after the draft, you would save 600,00 if cut.

57. By sarah on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Here is the totality of Stanton’s NFL career todate :

Professional career

Detroit Lions

Stanton was selected by the Detroit Lions with the 43rd overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. He was placed on season-ending Injured Reserve during training camp on August 3, 2007 after having knee surgery.

In 2008, Stanton sprained his thumb on his throwing arm during preseason, keeping him out the remainder of the preseason. After Jon Kitna was placed on IR, Stanton moved up to 2nd string QB, behind Dan Orlovsky.
    Stanton made his NFL debut in a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars (entering in relief of Daunte Culpepper, whom the Lions had signed only days earlier after Orlovsky suffered a thumb injury). He threw a 1-yard touchdown on his first career passing attempt and finished the game having completed 6 of 8 pass attempts for 94 yards.

The 2009 Season began with Stanton as 3rd string QB behind 2009 NFL Draft first overall choice Matthew Stafford and previous starter Daunte Culpepper. With Stafford injured for the Week 6 game against the Green Bay Packers, Stanton relieved Culpepper who was also injured during the game. He threw 2 interceptions in a 0-26 loss for the Lions.[6] Stanton appeared again in relief of Culpepper in Week 15 against the Arizona Cardinals. He was 10/19 passing with 1 interception, however he scored on a 1-yard rushing TD on a Draw play – with Arizona winning 24-31.[7] Stanton made his first career start week 16 against the San Francisco 49ers.

During the 2010 season, Drew Stanton saw action again as Matt Stafford and Shaun Hill went down with injuries. He came in as relief for Shaun Hill against the Giants and went 19 for 34 for 222 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He made his second career start against the Bears in week 13 and went 16 for 24 for 178 yards and one touchdown. He started the next game against the Green Bay Packers and lead the Lions to a victory with a 13 yard TD pass to Will Heller. Drew also got the Lions their first road win in over 3 years, leading them to a 23-20 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

New York Jets

Stanton was signed by the New York Jets on March 16, 2012.[8] After the Jets acquired Tim Tebow from the Denver Broncos on March 21, Stanton requested a release or trade.[9]

Indianapolis Colts

On March 23, 2012, the Jets traded Stanton to the Indianapolis Colts and a seventh round pick in the 2012 draft for a sixth round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The Indianapolis Colts also chose a rookie QB Andrew Luck over Stanton for the starting position. [10]
    [edit]Arizona Cardinals

Stanton signed with the Arizona Cardinals on March 13, 2013.[11]

Based on the above what is the big deal !! Not worth a guaranteed 3 million.

58. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 13, 2013 | Reply

Two quick observations;

First, Everyone remember Stanton was on the colts last year. Arians was with him in the film room and the field everyday. I’m sure he knows what he is getting.

Of course they are not telling us if he is to compete for starter or to help a rookie or to back up Hoyer. We dont know, but Bruce has a good idea about the kid.

Second, this move frees up 7.5 million dollars of cap if it causes Kolb to be released. Could that be what is needed to get Asomauh here?

59. By dieselbomb on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I think the contract for Stanton makes him the guy to beat. The contract is $8-point-something Mil for three years … $3 Mil guaranteed. It’s still pretty low price when set against most QBs’ and especially when seen against Kolb getting $9 Mil plus a $2 Mil bonus for 2013 alone. Then, for Stanton, add $12 Mil in incentives – meaning he doesn’t hit the benchmarks, he doesn’t get paid. Or put backwards : $Incentive Only if benchmark is met. That’s how Kolb’s contract should’ve been constructed from the start. “You don’t play; we don’t pay”. Kolb hasn’t played a 16-game schedule yet in his career. For me, that’s okay. But most teams need someone they can count on. As a person, I like Kolb. He stepped-up in 2012 and kept the team in it for Four of his six games. Had he been able to play all 16 … a 4-2 record plays out to be something like 10.5 wins 5.5 losses. On the borderline of being Playoff-worthy. But successive seasons not being able to play through injuries – too much time logged on the sidelines – gives coaches and fans too much time wondering about how someone else would work as the starting QB. I can’t fault Keim/Arians/Bidwill for looking elsewhere. The money given Stanton is the expectation that Stanton will out-perform Hoyer for Starting QB. Skelton and Lindley might not be here – or – one of them might be given a pat on the back and a fond farewell. I just don’t see Kolb remaining. And I wonder if any other team will see anything in him to venture signing him as a back-up or third-string. I feel bad for him because I see him as a pretty decent guy; just not able to stand-up to the physical rigors.

60. By Christo on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Can’t believe so many people are crying about our D cuts, with the exception of Rhodes they all needed to be cut. Rhodes had to be cut with his salary and the amount of talent available at the S position.

Our RB’s our betters. Yes Mendenhall is an upgrade.

Our QB’s are our QB’s yes they probably all suck. We haven’t seen the Kolb move yet though. We can probably stop hoping that we outbid BUF for Geno and start praying that Keim doesn’t draft Barkley at 7.

Our OL was vastly improved down the stretch. In csae you haven’t been following numerous places attributed Grimm to the terrible play of years past.

Let’s be real, we aren’t likely to compete with SF or SEA for a couple years.

Name another team that has a $100M WR and no QB to get him the ball? Nobody wants to talk about that out of respect, but I am happy to see that Keim appears to have the cahonas to make the tough decisions needed to compete in this League.

61. By monzz on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Goodbye Kolb

62. By Thomas77 on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

So far, I like the decisiveness of the decisions being made by Keim and B.A. But, I can’t say I’m that excited about all the decisions. It was time for Beanie to go. Early Doucet as well. I was sad to see ADub let go, but a strong case could be made for that as well. I’m not all that upset to see Toler leave. He had talent and great potential to do well, but was injured quite a bit. We all know (hint: Kolb), that talent/potential doesn’t matter if you’re never on the field to use it. I’m very glad we resigned Rashad Johnson. I don’t like the Rhodes release. Lot’s of changes being made on defense. I just hope B.A. and Keim know what they’re doing. They’re raising the bar on themselves with the defensive changes. It was already high when Horton left. Signing Mendenhall, Stanton (even though it seems like a lot of money to me for an unkown; again smacks of “Kolb”), and their hot pursuit are all risky to me, being that it’s at the expense of what was a good defense. Anyway, we’ll just have to wait and see…

63. By Eazy E on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Lord, this team just can’t get it right. i give them a minor handclap for getting Rashard and Yeremiah mainly(Both on 1 yr deals BTW, so if they have big years, they’ll only be Cards for a year). Stanton is a 2nd or 3rd Stringer, Alexander is intriguing, and Powers I barely know of and they go cut a top 3 lowest top 5 player on our team in Kerry??? What do they think this is? You have to pay guys what they’re worth otherwise you will be at the bottom forever, you won’t have any consistency as a franchise. He deserves that money no matter what. The consensus on the board seems to be this was an asinine, asiten, asieleven, asitwenty-five(Kerry’s number) move. I mean A-Wil, Kerry, Early, and William. They need to cut Kolb, Levi and Colledge. Why the hell are they cutting our best players and leaving sorry guys around or signing them? I am so done with this damn regime way before the damn season starts.

64. By Eazy E on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I sarcastically say this, but I kinda hope we don’t sign a BIG-TIME player because with this regime, that might mean Larry getting traded/cut or Calais or Dockett or Patrick.

65. By eric on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

drew stanton has a great attitude….hope he is the answer but i still think the answer has yet to sign if you know what i mean.

really excited about getting rashard mendenhall….i think he could be a major piece to the offense.

rey maualuga would be a good move but sounds like he may not sign.

66. By georgiebird on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

@Sarah
    Agree with you that Stanton was shown a little “nepotism” here. But QB is Arians’ strong suit. If Arians starts bringing in lousy QBs- like Whiz did in 2010-2012 – then Arians will be gone in a hurry.
    So let’s give Arians some leeway in the QB hunt; afterall he is the QB guru OR at least he’s supposed to be.

67. By Eric G on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Hate the Stanton move, he cannot seriously be considered starting material. Still need to sign an OT, then we can focus on drafting a QB in the draft. Hope to get Smith.

68. By donttakelosses on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Stanton has big guns, wow.

Btw, Kevin who? Reports of imminent demise abound the twitterverse.

69. By donttakelosses on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

See the guns on Drew, wowser.
    Btw, Kevin who? Noise abounds the twitterverse of his imminent demise. Fare thee well. He still has potential to be good QB. Will never forget him calling own number for 3-4 yard QB sneak TD, guts.

DTL

70. By Chris Lewis on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Here we go again with a bunch of unproven QBs. I don’t wanna go through another QB competition through the offseason and most of the preseason. This gets old. Why can’t we just find an established QB and stop all this nonsense. Looks like last season all over again. I just hope one of these QBs decide to step up and take over the starting role.

71. By Cactus jeff on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

How long will it take before Fitz demands a trade? This really is embarrassing.

72. By cardsalltheway on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

FIVE, count them! Yes, we now have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 QB’s on our team. NFL.com is laughing at us and/or Stanton.

73. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

pacardfan –

RE: Wilson/LSH

Have not heard much on either. Some rumblings about Adrian and the Patriots, but that’s certainly all it is right now. Wilson won’t be returning and I don’t expect LaRod back at this point either.

74. By Louisville Card on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Interested to see how how the new look will shape out to be. Hate to see Rhodes go being from UofL but I’m sure whatever they have up their sleeve’s will hopefully workout.

I’m hoping like the draft guy pointed out, that we pick up Reid I think he’ll turn out to be the best S in the draft. I also think Escobar at TE would be a great pick if they can grab him. The draft will be exciting this year so many solid players that they could reload at all the spots they need to fill.

75. By sarah on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Georgiebird,

Whiz was an offensive QB mastermind as well. This will either work for Arians or make him look like a jackass. Stanton has been around the league and really done nothing. At least Kolb as dumb as that deal was had a hot streak this year. Skelton who was brought in as a project was 6-2 his second year and saved Whiz’s ass in 2011, thisfor a mere $400,000/yr in 11.

I think bringing Stanton in to tryout would have been good, paying him stupid money for no real merit based on his sub mediocre NFL experience is just daft. He has yet to meet expectation post draft like many college drafted players.

Kolb is being cut today. Skelton may ask for a release or trade to the Giants, Jets, Seahawks or Texans. Kolb will get picked up by Buffalo.

76. By Brian R. on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

i dont know how i feel about all this yet. people here made some good points on both sides of keeping players and releasing them. i guess we will see how everything pans out.

77. By Jahstone on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

We’re ready to take on ASU! Can really beat them down with this squad…LOL.

All I can say is time will tell. BA is going to bring in his guys, as do most brand new NFL Head coaches. Until this whole process is completed (FA/Draft/Trades), it will be hard to evaluate all the moves. BA certainly got more out of his players last year than Whiz, so I think he can coach up players/rookies as long as they stay healthy. This is a transition phase. We are not going to somehow get all these players in and win it all this year. Look at the Eagles…or Oakland if they just had a QB, even in the NHL with the Rangers and Wild…dream teams???

We got a taste of luxury a few years back,and now we want it all the time, of course! We have to trust that BA/Keim can take us there in a few short years. By year 3, we need to be making a deep run. That is the hope.

2013 – 7-9
    2014 – 9-7
    2015 – 11-5(best record for a Cardinals team)

Dream big and act accordingly!!

78. By Dynosoar on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Ored,

“not to worry about what other teams are doing,mind our store and let them worry about what we are doing.”

I like this aproach.

79. By ored on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

just because it’s the nfl’s highest profile position does’nt make it fair,injuries happen,players get tossed into unfavorable situations…not so much different than elsewhere,just the spotlight is brighter.i’m sure kevins own expectations were much different also,but if all else fails,he had a chance at his dream and was compensated well for all the drama.maybe he gets another shot elsewhere,if not i hope he invested well,he has his battle scars to show the kids,he can retire young,and have a quality family life,maybe even try his hand at coaching-i think that runs in the family,good luck kevin,we hardly knew ye.

80. By sarah on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Jets interested in Kolb ?

81. By clssylssy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    With Rhodes getting cut, I’m wondering how things are looking for Dockett? How much would we save if he was cut? According to the “new math” he must be considered an “old” veteran player. With the Stanton signing I’m thinking they will still try to get a quality rookie who can either start or start by midway in the season backed up by Stanton and Hoyer with Skelton on the practice squad for insurance? Keim said he was good with having substantial depth at the QB position and from what has happened in recent years, it makes sense. The Skins were lucky to have Cousins to back up RGIII and I’m sure Arians doesn’t want to see another situation like the Colts suffered when Manning went down. With all the spending that has gone on the last few days, I would think we are about at the end if we are to have anything left for the draft without more cuts. Do you think Dockett is going to be the next to go as a cost cutting measure?

82. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

clssy –

RE: Dockett

I will for a moment assume you aren’t being sarcastic. I think Dockett is fine.

83. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

clssylssy,

Understand this, I am for Dockett being released but the savings wont hit till next year.

He has a hit for 7.7 million this year, but released, he would be counted as 9 million.

So, this year, cutting him would cost us 1.3 million of cap space. He is due 8.75 million next year with 6 million of dead money in 2014 and finally in 2015 s counts as 9.8 million and dead money is 3million.

So, as Darren said, he is safe for now. Bad contract. Next year maybe, 2015 for sure.

84. By clssylssy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren…no I wasn’t being sarcastic as I see we signed another from the Vikings and Shaughnessy from the Raiders is scheduled to come tomorrow. The numbers have gotten away from me but It seems we are nearing the end if we are to have money for the draft…just saying, ya know I would think all the players except for Fitz would be be a little nervous:)