Odds and ends as Cards maneuver free agency

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2013 – 9:05 pm

A few kibbles and bits while we all wait for the Kevin Kolb decision to come down (and if you want to have a chuckle and are on Twitter, check out the hashtag #whilewaiting4jake, which Rams fans have come up with some pretty funny quips as they wonder why they haven’t heard about Jake Long signing there yet.)

– Some kind of Kolb decision will have to come by 1 p.m. Friday, which is 4 p.m. at the league office in New York and close of business until Monday. Kolb’s $2 million bonus is due over the weekend, which is why it has to happen now. As I’ve mentioned before, the arrival of Drew Stanton pointed to the release of Kolb. The roster numbers — figuring Hoyer, Stanton and a draft pick, not to mention either Lindley or Skelton, if not both — don’t work as much as Kolb’s $9 million salary. With so much salary cap space that can be saved (at least $7.5 million and as much as $11.5 million if Kolb is designated a “June 1″ cut) that’s the reality.

– The addition of inside linebacker Jasper Brinkley seems to fit perfectly with the Cardinals’ 3-4 scheme. He played well in Minnesota but the Cards should be able to drop him right next Daryl Washington. The book on Brinkley is that he is a two-down linebacker, but with Washington out there and assuming the Cards collect more defensive backs, Brinkley won’t be needed on passing downs anyway.

– Adrian Wilson is making his first free agent visit to the Patriots. I won’t be surprised if that’s where he lands. The Patriots have done a similar move in the past, in 2003 with Rodney Harrison. That worked out pretty good for New England. If anyone would know how to get the best out of Wilson 12 years in, it’d be Bill Belichick.

– Didn’t hear one thing about Josh Cribbs today. Because I know someone will want to ask.

– Kerry Rhodes, released Wednesday, released a statement Thursday saying goodbye. “Playing with the Cardinals has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. I want to thank my coaches, teammates and Arizona fans everywhere for making the last three years truly remarkable. Change is always exciting and I’m optimistic about what the future holds. Wherever I go or whatever I do, I look forward to working hard and giving 110%, as always.”

– The Cardinals hosted free agent cornerback Antoine Cason Thursday and reportedly will host defensive end Matt Shaughnessy of the Raiders tomorrow. I don’t think the Cards are done in free agency yet. Shaughnessy is in demand.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

59 Responses to “Odds and ends as Cards maneuver free agency”

1. By John Rennecamp on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Darren, If Cribbs signs will Peterson still return punts? Even though it’s risky, Peterson is so dynamic it seems a waste to not have him do it.

2. By shane on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

This might be a dumb question but to you think that there a possibility that the cards try to bring back Kerry Rhodes with a different contract. Like the rams might do with Quintin Mikell?

3. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

John —

RE: Peterson punts

Arians has made pretty clear Peterson will return punts.

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Rhodes

I do not expect Rhodes to be back. If both sides wanted that, it would have been worked out before his release.

5. By shane on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

What do you think of the cards signings so far? I personally think that they have been one of the best.

6. By aaron on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I guess I saw it as a “I’ll play for 4 this year but let me test the market first” type of thing. Doesn’t seem to be the case though, eh?

7. By Campbells on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I’m wondering if Cribbs signing means we’re losing one of our existing receivers?
    Word is, Kolb will be out prior to receiving his bonus. That’ll be a relief in more ways than one.

8. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

I’m liking how active the new staff is. Just hope it all meshes together in time to keep us out of the cellar. Listening to national coverage and as usual the Cards are getting no respect. The Niner and Seahawks are getting all the praise. Not that it matters, but for once I would like for the National Media to have to give credit and respect to our team. And before anyone says anything, I know it has to be earned. And I know opinions don’t really mean anything. I’m just happy to see our new staff clean house and bring new life and hope to the organization. Go Cards !!! Hope Kolb restructors. Would love to see him compete for the job and go out there gunslinging.

9. By andystandsup on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

In a nutshell Darren, does the white smoke blow towards Paris Lenon being gone?

10. By Chris on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Thoughts on Brinkley signing?

This doesn’t inspire much confidence- http://bit.ly/15PTBJL

11. By Michael on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Profootballfocus.com has a pretty low opinion on Brinkley as a linebacker. They say he’s a liability in pass coverage (irrelevant i know if what you say about Cards getting more DB’s is true) but they also say he’s a woeful tackler.

Do you give much stock to that?
    I read his stats and they check out to me with over 100 tackles and a few forced fumbles.

Thanks for the brilliant coverage of FA by the way. I love reading your insights.

12. By Dre on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Good for A dub but not that team I f hate them. That’s would be great pick if Matt gets signs here

13. By djjackson81 on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

It’s looking like AZ will add a safety in the draft.

14. By djjackson81 on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

The draft is a good way to add a young inexpensive safety. Plus there are some good Safeties in this draft.

15. By Brian on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Being a Wisconsin guy, I would love to see Shaughnessy here. High motor guy who could fit well as a 3-4 DE. Cason has been solid and would give us a good nickel package with Peterson and Powers. Throw Fleming in and I think we have upgraded our talent at CB. The draft is deep with safeties and OL so that’s where we will upgrade those spots. Could see some depth added along the OL in FA but nothing big.

Darren I’m sure you touched on this but one thing for people to keep in mind is just because we have cap room we don’t have to use it. We have a franchise CB in Peterson we have to pay soon so no need to tie up cap room in meaningless contracts just because we have room after resolving the Kolb situation. The way to do that is to not over spend in FA. Fill some holes and build through the draft. That’s how we will get back to competing for the division. Not by spending big in FA(as much as many of you on here want them to). History shows that rarely works(see PHI most recently).

Reality is we are chasing SF and SEA in the division for at least another year probably, maybe more, which is tough to say but it has also helped me realize its not a big deal if we don’t get any of the top players in FA. A lot of times those guys want to go to a contender. If they do go somewhere that’s not ready to contend, its usually for a lot more than they are worth and that contract handcuffs that team’s rebuilding process. I trust Keim, Arians and the rest of the staff will have a solid draft this year and we will be back contending soon by doing it the right way, which is the way SF and SEA did it. Clearly it’s worked for them…

16. By Andrew Pardue on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Why not keep Kolb? He has proven to work well with the offense, he just needs and O-line that can keep him on his feet. Why don’t we cut Skelton and Lindley? I was watching NFL Network and analysts are saying that those two are going to be fighting for the starting job. I would really not like to see that. What is your personal opinion?

17. By Luke on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

Ken whisenhunt didn’t do that bad on building the team. ACCEPT for one position Qb. I think last season with an all right Qb like Kolb we finally saw what he envisioned almost.(While kolb was healthy)

With that being said so far with BA i’m extremely pleased. He seems to be going all out on getting exactly what he wants. EVEN AT THE QB SPOT!. I think he might get done in one year what took KW three years.

18. By mrpeary3189 on Mar 14, 2013 | Reply

First of all, I wanna applaud you for dealing with the negative nancies/arm-chair GMs who thinks the team needs to spend big money during Free Agency. Just ask the Raiders and Redskins how that works out.

Second, any news on how the visit with Shaugnessy went? And where would he fit assuming that Dockett is still on the roster?

19. By sarah on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

i do not want Drew Stanton being anointed the starting quarterback, his record is as a backup with minimal playing time. Let there be an open competition for the job ! Kolb is making off like a bandit and should have nailed the job down in 2011 let’s not repeat with Stanton.

20. By Eazy E on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

What the hell is taking so long? Cut Kolb now! Y’all we’re so quick to cut our great players, you can at least cut our bad ones and their contracts quicker I would think. I disagree with you about Brinkley Darren, you have to be able to cover as a linebacker if not but just good enough because this ain’t the 80s’ or 90s’, where the league was run crazed, it is a passing league now and TEs and WRs take precedence over RBs now. I am glad for A-Wil because now he has a realistic shot at a ring if NE picks him up and it would be a great signing for them and once again he would prove that he still is an elite safety and very few are better. Cribbs I do like also but we need to nail that contract down though. Very classy and swagged out Kerry was very cordial in his exit and it really is a damn shame the biz treats guys like that whether it is money or whatever. Crap ain’t fair. He’ll find a nice spot because he’s another great safety. I hope we can do better than Cason. I mean Asomugha has had 2 tough years but I know we have shown interest. Their are still good corners to be had on the market. Shaughnessy is also a pretty good football player too so I hope we can get some of these guys even though I don’t really see us needing a DE right now.

21. By cards4sb on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Feels good to see the team getting something done. Not sure about Mendenhall but I don’t work in the NFL. Go Cards!!

22. By Christo on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Man I hope Kevin is a reduced salary instead of a cut.

Loving this FA period so far. Rhodes hurts, everything else makes sense.

Would love to see Larry Grant brought in. Would also love to see a surpsie Vollmer signing … but would also be happy with a Justice signing.

Funny to see so much action on the D side of the ball when it was clearly the O that killed us last year.

In Arians we trust.

23. By Louisville Card on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Does the Brinkley signing mean that Urlacher won’t be pursued now?

24. By Elton on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

With the recent run at safeties, could az have traded Rhodes for a 6th or 7th rounder somewhere. His salary wasn’t that bad to move.

25. By smoothcard on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

shaug was a riser much like stew bradley was before his string of injuries. hed definitely help the edge rush in a travis laboy type way. we can platoon the olb corps for now until we can find that go to pass rusher

26. By JosEPh on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Lots of AZ fans won’t like this and will cry “same ol’ Cards” but Stanton will be the Starter this year barring injury in TC.

The OL will get improved thru the Draft not FA. And even though Arians is an Offensive Guru the D will get quality help thru the draft too.

There will be a QB drafted, but not a Starter this year (yes I’m saying No Geno for the Cards).

It’s how I see it right now.

27. By cdj on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

why is everyone so caught up on Kerry Rhodes?

28. By Josh T. on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

There seems to be some controversey over the Mendenhall pick-up amongst both analysts and people I know. My take is that although not a top 10 guy by any means, he is still a good runner with a history of good seasons and finding the endzone. I think he will be more dynamic than anything we have seen out of the backfield under the previous coaching staff. I have heard him called inconsistent and injury prone by some. What’s your take? Also, does Mendenhall give us hands out of the backfield? I have always felt like Whiz all but abandened the short/ check down pass out of the backfield. (qb’s and defenders get a vote too, I know) That kind of mild but important versatility could be nice.

29. By kevin on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren what is our chances going after Jason Campbell? that would be a good pick up.

30. By kevin on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

We are in for a rough season. Let go of a few really good players to bring Drew Stanton makes you think. Hoyer yes and Kolb yes and someone else at least half way decent. Should of kept Rhodes our back end is going to be hurting. We should keep Paris also solid player. And people whined about Coach Whiz. Oh boy.

31. By joe holst on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

They needs someone who can rush the passer badly, the could use 2-3 pass rushers, lota work to do. I dont want Skelton within a 1000 miles of this team, guy has no accurqacy on his throws, mite as well shut his eyes and wing it and see what happens, even made Fitzgerald look bad which is hard to do.

32. By Chris on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren!

As Brinkley was a 4-3 MLB in Minnesota, you think he will have similar problems as Bradley transforming to 3-4 ILB?

Or do u think, it isn’t as much of a deal, rather the result of lacing potential with Bradley as the second year showed?

Never make the same mistake twice…

33. By Gary on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know who the guy is that said lets sign Brinkley but he needs to be fired. I challenge anybody to watch the Cards verses Vikings game and with a straight face say that this guy is any good at all. I mean any part of this guys game. He can’t tackle, run, cover. He’s not aggressive. I mean where is any part of this guys game any good. Cards fans will scream to get Stewart Bradley and Paris Lenon back after watching this guy hit the field. I would rather see Reggie Walker as the starter than this guy.

Our defense will be much worse unless we go out and get some real players quickly. Conner Barwin and Sean Smith should have been signed not Brinkley and Yerimiah Bell

34. By Dynosoar on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kevin Kolb,

4 hours or less and we’ll have an answer.

I have to say I’m excited to see what this season holds for us as a team. It’s been wholsale change over the last three months. Can’t wait to see how it all plays out this season.

Homefield advantage in 2014 (which is actually 2/2015)

Sorry to see Lennon and Rhodes gone. As excited as I am, I wish I had the information our front office has because while I see some of these releases and aquisitions as status quo (not sure we got better or worse, only time will tell) these two gone seem to indicate getting worse. Wish I saw what Keim, Arians and Co see. I understand they have info I don’t, but from where I sit these two losses are not good for us.

35. By canadian redbird on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Re; Cribbs

Darren, I find it difficult to understand why we would be interested in bringing in Cribbs when we have other players on our existing roster that offer the same qualities. It would appear that the moneys could be directed in another direction ie. defensive end,( Shawnessy ) or db ( Cason ). What are your thoughts.

As well, read a report on nfl.com that Philly was working out Geno Smith. I believe that it is to create a possible trade option for the Cards or Buffalo, who are seeking a QB. With our history with Philly & how Andy Reid fleeced us with the Kolk deal two years ago; FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU , FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME. We need an OL or pass rushing specialist with our 1st round pick, not a QB.

Thanks for your updates!!!!!!

36. By in fitz we trust on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I wonder whats being said behind closed doors regarding kolb. One thing that sticks with me was when M. Bidwill mentioned he wasnt ready to give up on kolb, and that was mentioned before arians and gang were brought on. Its apparent kolb is not worth his sticker price, but i wonder how hard we are pushing for a restructure instead of a simple cut. kolb/hoyer/stanton could be a possibillity, and focus on o-line in the early rounds of the draft…… its gonna be an interesting day

37. By In Arians We Trust on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kolb to Jets is now the rumor. I’d like to see that for him. I like Kolb, but it’s obvious we are moving on. Would like to see him get another chance, and the Jets clearly have issues.

38. By Chris on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Additional:

Whats the cap number of Docket? despite possible role change, wasn’t rhodes much better than docket? Similar age / cap number, but more productivity and good replacement available in david carter.

Any idea on that one?

39. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I just heard Ron Jaworski say he believes Geno Smith is worthy of the number one overall pick.

The belief is, someone will trade with the chiefs for the number one pick and take him.

It will be interesting to see how much Arians believes in Stanton.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Are you kidding me?????

Could Nnamdi Asomugha and Charles Woodson put the 49ers over the top? The team is engaged in “serious” talks with the players, reports Akbar Gbajabiamila.

Niners and Seahawks going all out with the thought this is there year.

Cards must have a stellar draft this year and next. Develop a QB, whether the draft or Stanton, and shoot for 2014.

41. By donttakelosses on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Best FA QB on market? No doubt, Kevin Kolb.

42. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

With the release of Kolb, the cards save 7.5 million and have about 10.5 million in cap space.

Here are all the remaining salaries and cap hits for anyone who could get cut (names not on list would take hits or not make sense)

So, you want Nnambi? who goes?

O’brien Schofield – due 1.4 million has a dead money hit of only 107,000 freeing 1.3 mil

Andre Roberts – is owed 1.5 and has a cap hit of 181,000

Jeff King – is owed 1.88 mil and cap hit is 333,000, freeing up 1.5 mil.

Reggie Walker is owed 1.1 mil and 100,000 hit, freeing up 1 mil

Skelton is owed 640,000 and has a hit of 78,000, freeing up close to 500k

Lindley is owed 500k and hit for 78k, opening up 400k

Colledge is owed 7.25 and owed 6.8 in dead money, freeing 500k but 7.7 next year

Levi Brown is owed 6.4 million with 5.6 in dead money freeing up 900k

All these players figure in around 400-480k with no cap hit.
    William Powell RB
    Zack Nash LB
    Laron Byrd WR
    Scott Wedige C
    Blake DeChristopher G
    Jeremiah Warren G
    Everrette Thompson DT
    Ricky Lumpkin DT
    Kerry Taylor WR
    Tim Fugger DE
    Colin Parker LB

We are sitting at 91 million for 2014. So cut away armchair GMs

43. By Dynosoar on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I liked Kevin Kolb when he was in Philly. Then Fitzgerald endoresed him and I was hoping he’d come here. I was fine with the trade (Always thought we could do better than DRC and with Peterson we have.

But what if we had Peterson & DRC. That would be worth seeing. What about W. Powell behind Chance Warmack. That brings a smile to my face.

Back to Kolb, I was thrilled when we made the trade for Kevin and couldn’t wait. Then injury after injury and I cetrtainly blame him for getting injured, it happens to most in the NFL at some point.

So we move on. We move on and we improve (fingers crossed, salt over shoulder, horseshoe turned up, ate 2 donuts this morning. Didn’t know that was good luck? Instead of “Et tu Brute”, Caesar should have said “Eat two Brute.” Brutus would’ve eaten two donuts, been in a happy place and Shakespear would’ve had one less tragedy he could’ve written. Beware the Ides of March, eat a donut so you’ll be happy satisfied today.)

My QB wish list doesn’t have a name attached, just 1. >60% completion and 2. looks for first downs or touchdowns on third down and 3. Finds Larry and makes him the most talked about WR in the league as he was durring our SB run.

Interesting that Alex Smith did this (70% completion) and so did Kapaernick (sp). Probably wasn’t the QB, rather the O-line.

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Signings

We will see. No way to know now.

45. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Lenon

I’d be shocked if he cam back after Alexander/Brinkley signings.

46. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Michael —

RE: Brinkley

I was told by someone in Minnesota he’ll fit well in this scheme. We will see.

47. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

mrpeary —

RE: Shaugnessy

His visit is today.

48. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Urlacher

Don’t think that was ever gonna happen.

49. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Josh T —

RE: Mendenhall

I think it’s worth it on a one-year deal. I think it was time to move on from Beanie.

50. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kevin —

RE: Campbell

Nope.

51. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Dockett

Dockett’s cap number is $7.7 million this season.

52. By Cactus jeff on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Once again, Cardinals are killing it! Seahawks made another mistake getting Avril along with Percy Harvin. Niners getting Q, now Charles Woodson and Asomugha are in play, big mistakes! We as Cardinal fans can only hope Jake Long goes to the Rams then we can celebrate. In 2-4 years those big contracts will hurt. WE BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT. Couple more Dan Williams and the NFC west is ours in 2017.

53. By tyman on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Nice to see BA bringing in his guys.

54. By Laird on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I’m a CARDS FAN. I’m 50/50 on some of the F.A. picks so far ,but I believe new coaches making mostlt good moves for now. To me though the first pick in draft should be a TOP OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! Don’t sit back on our heels til fourth round in draft to make that move like we did in last years draft!

55. By ored on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

agree that the o-line allows better qb play and also ground attack,we’ll probably never know what our offense could have been.i like BA’s attitude towards rookies,give em some playing time early,look what pp did,also massie and potter,just took a few games to get their feet wet.seems to be the way the league is going,just as they are with the passiing game,and now new wrinkles with the spread/pistol.

also agree we need to be responsible with cap numbers,every young stud we have now will want their payday when it’s their turn,like a chess game,make plays now and plans for the future with the added element of a lowly pawn suddenly becoming as valuable as any on the field.may we get our share of those.

56. By clssylssy on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

I could have sworn I saw a comment on Twitter about a possible trade for Dockett? These days ya never know and since it was from Darren, thought maybe there was something going on…nothing surprises me anymore:)

57. By Roland on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Darrren, this is bull crap a player like Adrian Wilson who said all the right stuff , lowered his contract, played hurt , played well,did charitable work and said he wanted to stay a card three more years shouldn’t have been cut. Well he will play three more years with a team that will use his skills the way we should have. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and as a 17 yr tix holder it won’t be easy to send in my deposit today. Winning some games next year is the only way to heal this one for me and i think many diehard fans like me agree.

58. By Alex on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

did josh cribbs sign with us yet i’m sooo curious.

2. Mar 15, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | The market and the Cards’ newest additions