The Kolb experience

Posted by Darren Urban on March 15, 2013 – 10:50 am

I was standing on the sideline next to the end zone last season when Kevin Kolb rifled a laser to the pylon and Andre Roberts made the improbable fourth-down catch to rescue overtime from what looked like a loss against Miami. The Cardinals later won that game, were 4-0, and life was very very good, for both the Cardinals and Kolb.

That was both Kolb’s apex with the team and the beginning of the end. The next week, the Cards couldn’t block the Rams and Kolb was sacked what seemed like a million times in the team’s first loss, and the following week, Kolb hurt his ribs in what ended up being an overtime loss to the Bills. Kolb didn’t play for the team again.

There’s no way to paint Kolb’s two-year tenure with the Cards as good. Everyone knows that. Not with the money paid, the price surrendered, the natural expectations. The offensive line issues were a problem, but Kolb had issues with the offense in 2011 and still wasn’t going to be a prolific passer last year even when things went right. Let me say this though: I do think Kolb, if he could have stayed healthy, could have won games. He did so at the beginning of last year. I didn’t ever see him being one of the top 10 passers in the league, but the Cards could have made it work. He couldn’t stay healthy, though, and as the cliche goes, availability is as important as ability (I keep thinking about that in the Patriots move to dump Wes Welker for the oft-injured Danny Amendola. But I digress.)

With the new regime, moving on makes sense. We’ve all known for a long, long time Kolb wasn’t going to be back at $11 million this season. I have no idea what kind of paycut the Cards were asking for, but it sounds like the Cards made an effort to do something. Maybe he ends up in New York with the Jets, or Buffalo. There might be other better options, especially considering Drew Stanton has a history with Bruce Arians and his ability to throw deep fits better in what Arians wants to do. The door is reportedly still open, but I will be surprised if Kolb returns.

(A quick aside: I know the Cardinals ended up paying $20.5 million to Kolb. It turned out to be too much. But I don’t understand the people that get so mad at that aspect of this. It’s not your money. They spent because they had to spend. It didn’t work out. Move on.)

The Cardinals needed a quarterback in 2011. Really bad. They felt Kolb was the best choice. It didn’t work but they made the effort.

Kolb too was a stand-up guy. He answered the questions, he understood the criticism. It didn’t work out. And the Cardinals move on.

KolbseeattleUSE

Tags:

83 Responses to “The Kolb experience”

1. By Patrick on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I like the fact the cardinals are signing players to short contracts with incentives so that the team has outs. Unlike the big contracts to Kolb Bradley Colledge where they paid the players as is they were proven.

2. By siteproppc on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Not sure where you get the stand up guy idea. He was paid way too much for what he contributed where it was his ‘fault’ or not. He should have took a $1 salary this year to make it right. That’s the definition of a stand up guy.

As it is, he is just off to the next blue sky pay day.

3. By John S on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see you saying “move on”. It’s exactly what I tweeted you earlier. I am really amazed what this team has done. Complete overhaul of the coaching staff and all new QB’s. They did exactly what needed to be done. Excited for the season for sure.

4. By D on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I met him in the hotel two yrs ago for the road game vs Redskins, very nice Texan, too bad it didn’t work out..for him 20.5 mil for his family is great…for Mr. B it hurts the bottom line, but since he didn’t raise ticket prices then I can’t complain about it…like you said, it’s not my money…

I am hoping for EJ Manuel or worst case Landry at QB in the draft….let Tom M. work his magic….

5. By cardinalchris on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I wish it had worked out. After years of griping about management not willing to part with cash, I have to admit I was happy to see them pull this trade off. I don’t think anyone expected the offensive line to blow up the way it did. Starting with the, now vegetarian, Deuce Letui. I’d like to shove a pile of lettuce in his facemask for failing on us Card fans the way he did. Then losing Brandon Keith to injury, then Levi, on and on. What a MASH unit our line has been. It’s no wonder Kolb got beat up while he was here. Best wishes to Kolb who seems like a stand up guy.

6. By Kurt on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kolb was fragile coming in and now he’s fragile going out.
    If Levi could have stayed healthy who knows…

7. By ringlaterra on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Well put Darren. Thank you for showing both sides of the coin. A certain amount of respect for Kolb is due. That win against Seattle, when Kolb came off the bench, was potent. Kolb was a breath of fresh air for a moment, for a few games. The formula had been: Dominant defense+decent offense (powered by avg. qb throwing to Fitz)=Playoff team. It didn’t work, but we bought in to the possibility of it all.

Now I’m looking forward to see what the new equation will be for the Cardinals. All of a sudden we are in the most competitive division if football. This may take awhile so let’s do this thing the right way, whatever that means.

8. By Travis on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I agree with you. I am very happy with the team trying their best to address the situation at the time. They sought the best available option and paid a premium for him. That dosent sound like the “same old Cardinals” to me! We tried, and I don’t think you can ask for more from your team. I think we all wish it would’ve worked out, but he is horrible so cut the cord.
    #tothefuture!!

9. By donttakelosses on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Bravo, D.
    Kolb had guts. He got hurt when 600 lb of Defense pancaked him and he’s called out. BS.

10. By RB on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

We get mad because he made 20mil for how many games? Taking a paycut should have been an easy thing for him because of how much he made the last two years. When you have guys like Brady and Brees restructuring to help their team out, Kolb doesn’t want to. What does that say about him?

11. By Larry Secrest on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Well said, Darren. Would you say that Stanton’s contract, with $12 million in possible intcentives, was structured based on what they learned with Kolb’s contract structure? It makes sense that they would make him earn it instead of just handing the money over.

12. By Joe on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

It was clearly a waste of $20 million and it was obvious before they acquired him.

13. By georgiebird on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Your comments on Kolb seem to be very definitive now but you hedged quite a bit while here was here. I agree, for the most part, with the position you are at right now as voiced in the Kolb Experience article.
    One point of disagreement on the amount paid to Kolb and the draft choice and DRC. While I agree, it was a situation where we needed a franchise QB and paid a price. But the questinis “WHO were we bidding against to make such a generous offer for a guy with limited success.??

14. By donttakelosses on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

D:
    Isn’t Colledge due $1M tomorrow? Will he make it past 1PM?
    DTL

15. By Seanham3 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kolb had a lot of confidence in his ability, just could not stay healthy. a HUGE part of that was because our OLine could not protect him and sometimes Kolb took to LONG to throw the ball. He is a solid quarterback but dont think he is a starter in this league. Wish him the best in his future in the NFL but am glad that the quarterback controversy is over for now.

16. By Patrick Eagan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

i would have liked him to be the guy. we all saw what he did last year in the first 6 games. oh well. Life goes on.

17. By Dynosoar on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Bay Area Bad Boy ,

Someone (not me, but I beleive it) said if we were the only team in the league, the National media would still proclaim us as the worst team in the league.

Perfect picture. Kevin, I wish it had worked out and I wish you hadn’t had so many injuries. I don’t wish injuries on anyone. Good luck wherever you go.

Go Cardinals! Let’s make these changes mean something. Here’s to Homefiled advantage in our third Super Bowl. Yeah, I think we need another Super Bowl run this season to practice for our second SB victory in 2014.

SB wins in NY and in Phoenix.

18. By loganmifflin on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I wish he had some more time here. I for one don’t think all of the problems we his fault at all. I hear he is possibly going to the NY Jets. If he does, I’ll start watching Jets games. Best of Luck to Kevin!

P.S. If you speak with him before he leaves, ask him to update his Twitter once in a while He hasn’t done so since Sept. 2011

19. By joe 67 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Very well put, Darren. You hit the nail right on the head.

20. By red bird of death! on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

D , Your best article yet, couldn’t be said any better.Thats why I come here.

21. By Bonkowske, Anthony on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Im right there with you Darren, if kolb was healthy I see the outcome of last season very differently. But its always what ifs…. I never truly saw kolb as a bad qb. He had a passer rating of 80+ with the cards. Its not great but its not bad. The only thing we lacked was an o-line and consistent play from them and whoever was under center. We shall see how this season goes.

22. By Jonathan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

It’s sad to see things turn out this way. Kolb really seemed to be building with each game he played this last season. Those hits weren’t his fault, and it was especially disappointing to see him injured on a botched play where the RB wasn’t in position.
    But that contract was just far too heavy. I would of thought he would try to stick around another year after a restructure just to show where his value would stand when he’s got a line to block with and time to grow with an offense. I worry he may not have healed well.
    Had there been any update on Kolb’s injury recently?

23. By Christo on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Well one reason to be upset about the money . . it is OUR money. Ticket sales, Merchandise, Concessions, Direct TV, etc. We’re all part of it.

Surely you understand this. It’s our money from top to bottom financing this thing. So fans absolutely have a right to complain about it Darren.

I am not losing sleep over it, but the point remains.

We want to support a winner.

24. By D on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

BA likes to run two TE sets…wonder if they look at a blocking TE like M. Spaeth in free agency….

25. By SteveG on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Would have LOVED to see what he could have done if he wasn’t being pounded by the opposing defenses…Not to be..

Interesting to see the definition of ‘stand up guy” being dependent on OPM (Other people’s money”..I always thought it was a mark of character..and Kolb did not flinch from criticism or self evaluation and since he is a business person, I assume he has the right and responsibility to earn as much as he can during a career (or are we suddenly socialists?)….

26. By Erik on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

I know this is off topic but didnt know where else to ask you as I dont get on twitter for questions and such. But what are your thoughts on Geno as our Potential Franchise QB? if its not to much to ask it be awesome if you did an Article about Thoughs on who we Draft like Geno, Fisher, or maybe Warmack.

27. By Tucson Card on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Good Riddance.

That being said, I understand why we pulled the trigger on Kolb. We needed a quarterback. I liked that management was willing to take a gamble. It shows they’re committed to winning.

With respect to this year’s FA, I like all of the relatively ‘low profile’ moves we’ve made so far. I think prudence is a smart way to approach the FA period. Anyways, I’m excited to see how the roster shapes up for the regular season.

28. By lg on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Now we should have money to sign antoine cason & matt shaughnessy.

29. By grabling on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I agree with you, its not our money… but affects directly in the construction of a competitive team.

30. By Rufus on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

In the Miami game, Kolb also threw a costly fourth quarter interception in the end zone that almost lost the game. Kolb did nothing to deserve such a huge contract, much less trading a starting CB and second round pick. Even on his best days he was little more than a game manager that could not hit the long passes. It will be interesting to see which QB Arians goes for in the draft. It seems like they like Smith or Scott, but I could also see a surprise pick as well.

31. By Nick on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

what I think is really interesting is how our new GM has assessed Whiz+Graves’ personnel moves- the guy was here when all those moves went down and obliviously he didn’t agree with a lot of them which I think is a GREAT thing. If nothing else BA knows a solid QB when he sees one and obliviously Kolb didn’t fit the bill

32. By cards902 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

For as much as I love reading this blog every day and think it’s well done, it really bothers me when a team employee somewhat chastises its fans, as is the case with that, “quick aside.” Fans have the right to think like owners, because they share the owner’s passion for winning but not necessarily his wallet. Money and contracts are part of that. I know the harping on some issues can be somewhat tedious, especially with the hot mess this team has become, but I wouldn’t ask any of us to “move on” about anything, lest we do.

33. By Jon M on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Well we paid for their stadium, so in a roundabout way it kind of was our money…..

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Jon M —

RE: Stadium

I live here too, I paid for it too. Still doesn’t make sense to me.

35. By Rio on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

BA is a lot smarter than he sounds , he knew Kolb was a bust without any star potenial, he dropped back in the pocket and then ran right on every down who needs a QB that doens’t sit the pocket and move up from pressure.( i know he was pressure, but they all are.)

Speaking of pressure did anyone notice when Sendlien went out the line got a lot better without him, i forgot the guard who replace him but that guy was great at center i watch him pull and block and he look likie an upgrade to the center position.

Don’t worry so much about 49ers or Seahawks , remember Philly last year with the Dream Team that was going to win it all, Well folks sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way , The Cards will be competitive this year we have a staff and some smart people in the front office, watch the draft we will take two top lineman right off then a safety and running back.

If you still want a Beeni Wells jersey that are on Clearence at the sports stores for $5.00.

36. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Yes it was an experience.

Moving on.

So Darren, did Cribbs sign or are they waiting for his check up?

GO CARDS!!!

37. By Eric G on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I though it would work out. Easily injured combined with our horrendous O-line was a deadly combination. I hope now the Cards draft Smith at #7. Stanton is not the answer.

BTW, if both Smith and Barkley are there at #7, and the Cards draft Barkley, I will quit being a fan. No way I could have hope in a team that makes that decision. I’d be more than fine with an OT at that pick, but no way Barkley over Smith.

38. By sarah on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

It is what it is so to speak. Kolb tried his best and stuff happens. In the 2011 season many of the games could have swung the other way but he was not worth that amount of money. He was essentially a backup trying to prove starting capability and pretty unproved overall in Philly. I am hoping Stanton is not the same, paying big money for minimal track record is a lesson well learned and could easily be repeated. Having Skelton beat out Kolb for the starting position never should have happened, that spoke volumes given he had the off season and camp to prepare, he turned it around but his last two games were similar to 2011.

Wish him well even though I was a strong critic. Once again even if we had gotten Manning he would have been severely handicapped with line and running game issues and sacked allot ( he is not the most mobile guy and Kolb is far more mobile). The latter affected Kolb and Skelton in Minn, SF home game etc. Eleven players have to be in sync for an offence to click and the quarterback needs protection longer than 3 seconds ! That Buffalo game injury was all on the backs and line, as well the Buffalo player laid it into him when Kolb was down, he should have had a hefty fine.

39. By shane on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Matt Shaughnessy just sighed with the cards yea!!! good sighing!

40. By sarah on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

PS) That Buffalo game should have been a win, Feely should have made the kick and Larod should not have dropped a pass in OT that would have moved us into FG range once he ran. It would have been a win for Kolb, Skelton put the team in a position to win at the end of the game.

41. By Card4life on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Foolish comment about “it is not our money” are you kidding! I’am a season ticketholder have been from the begining! and like Cristo said what about merchandise, concessions, etc, ? we help pay for the stadium too!! Cardinals wouldn’t be in Arizona right now if it wasn’t for LOYAL fans! so I dissagree with you Daren about it is not our money because I believe a big part of it is!! but no matter what winning or loosing I will always support the RED SEA!! GO ZONA!!

42. By D on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Free agency for AZ about over…will have final draft options up soon….

43. By suspence716 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren, you are lying at the beginning of your article when it says kolb rifled a laser… The guy doesn’t have a big enough arm to laser anything!

44. By Jon M on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

It doesn’t really bother me either, but I can understand it. We as fans paid for the stadium plus the gear tickets etc. Its easy to see why some feel like they have an ownership stake, even if that feeling isn’t entirely rooted in reality.

45. By Patrick on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

The fact with Kevin Kolb is we did not know how good of a quarterback he was when we traded for him and two years later we still do not know how good of a quarterback he is. Time to move on. Next!

46. By fightingbird on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

do you think Tebow could end up in AZ ? I remember not to long ago I heard about him working out in AZ. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in AZ what would it hurt ,he may just win the starting job.

47. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

With Kolb now gone the Cards have 3 3rd string QB’s, and one 2 string QB… The QB situation is no better now than it was last season. The mgmt then signs Stanton to first string money when he was a 2nd tier QB at best. If I was Fitz, I would ask for a trade so my talents weren’t wasted any more. We all know that won’t happen at least this year, as he a is a class act. I just don’t see the Cards improving with out a quality QB and the OL situation is still iffy at best also. Only time will tell…. But the fans expect and deserve better and they deserve it now……

For those who didn’t see it DRC ended up in Denver along with Toler.

48. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

darren

who had the most input on this trade ? Larry,Graves,Whiz any idea? b/c to me fitz is the one most responsible for this trade we needed to bring in a qb so fitz would re-sign with us and i then it was reported fitz and kolb had a private workout and so on .also how much cap was against us for this kolb move?so

so in the long run effects of this trade

DRC AND OUR 2RD PICK gone

Kolb now gone he made what 20 mill plus in 2yrs

larry resign to a 100milli contract and the qb he wanted is now gone.

o-line help well i guess it’s priceless…..trade larry i’m kinda starting to feel bad for the guy know he might be or adrian wilson of he new gen of playing on bad teams maybe when larry is 31 we will have a contender. i say we trade larry take the cap hit this year and get manziel

49. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

suspence —

RE: Throw

I was down on the field. I stand by what I said.

50. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Jon M —

RE: Ownership stake

This has nothing to do with me being with the team. It’s always been my thought process, and across sports. I don’t see why fans get worked up so much about what a guy makes, unless of course it messes with how a team does business. In this case, I don’t see it.

51. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

also darren is it safe to say the one guy who everyone has been bashing since he was our #1 pick levi brown if he did not get injured whiz and co could still be here b/c imo levi being hurt was the worst thing that happend to us last year that really hurt the whole team and ultimately cost ALOT OF PEOPLE JOBS.WOW LEVI BROWN IS THE ANCHOR OF THIS LINE..WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED LINE TO SUPPLEMENT HIS TALENTS..

52. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Kolb;

I think 10 million a season for a starting QB is nothing. No issues with the money. I think DRC and a 2nd is a good trade for a starting QB. I’ll make that trade all day long.

The problem was Kolb didn’t work out. He went 5-7 as a starter and started only 12 of the possible 32 games for the cards.

You can’t bank on that for another year. Thank goodness the cards cut ties with him, saved 7.5 million and signed Cason and Shaughnessy.

As I have said for months, it was the only move to make. Truly, I hope he goes to the Jets and does well. But I am glad his time with the cards are over.

53. By steve lee on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

… But when will the Cards sign an offensive line? That was their biggest problem for the past couple of years.

54. By truths4all on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Its now clear that Rod Graves outsmarted himself by pushing that big and new contract at Kolb when he still had a full year to go with this old contract. Why Graves was so convinced that he had to lock up Kolb at today’s superstar dollars for years down the road WITHOUT any proof that Kolb could master an offense that was not a WCO is beyond comprehension and belief. And we now know that Graves was fired for this foolishness.

55. By Andy Kw on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Our team is doing well in free agency but why are we so focused on the defense than the offense?
    We signed a lot of free agents for defense:
    ST/LB Lorenzo Alexander(WAS)
    OLB Jasper Brinkley (MIN)
    S Yeremiah Bell (NYJ)
    CB Jerraud Powers (IND)
    CB Antoine Cason (SD)
    DE Matt Shaughnessy (OAK)

And so few on Offense:
    QB Drew Stanton (IND)
    RB Rashard Mendenhall (PIT)

SInce we cut Kolb, we increased the cap space. Hopefully KR Josh Cribbs signs by today or tomorrow. But this team needs to sign so offensive weapons so here are my thoughts for the remaining free agents this team should sign:

WR Kevin Walter (HOU) -1yr contract
    S Bernard Pollard (BAL) -2yr contract
    OG Brandon Moore (NYJ) -1yr contract

I really want Bernard Pollard to be on this team to be the starting Safety instead of S Yeremiah Bell. Pollard is so much better.

56. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

DARREN

Did the broncos just axe elvis b/c of a fax machine.

57. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Taking contracts into account, I can’t think of any other bigger bust in Cardinal’s history other than Kevin Kolb, whether it be an acquisition via draft, trade or free-agency. I think would be a good question for the next fan poll (Wendell Bryant, Leonard Davis, Cody Brown, Buster Douglass, Matt Leinart and Levi Brown could all be considered).

Andy Reid + Kevin Kolb + Rod Graves + Ken Whisenhunt = four names that will go down in Cardinal’s history together — and forever.

58. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: Elvis

They axed Elvis because he waited way too long to decide he’d take a paycut.

The fax machine is just details.

59. By lg on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

i said we should and we did we got both antoine & matt birdgang is back still need olineman and a better safety than bell thats my wish list

60. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Just heard cards are interested in newly cut tom zibowski safety darren your thoughts ? i personally hope they sign him

61. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

THE KEVIN KOLB EXPERIENCE:

$20,500,000.00/255 completions = $80,392.16/completion

$20,500,000.00/17 touchdowns = $1,205,882.35/TD

$80,392.16/completion + $1,205,882.35/TD = YOU’RE FIRED!

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: Zibowski

I don’t see it, but I’ve been wrong before.

63. By In Arians We Trust on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Fans are fickle. Kolb didn’t work out. However, with a few exceptions, most fans were anywhere from happy to ecstatic when we signed him after the DA/Max Hall year. Yes, some said at the time that they didn’t think he was an elite QB, but how many teams have those?

The same thing is happening now. You had guys saying for the past couple months, what about Stanton? What about trading for Mallett? What about Flynn? What about this or that guy in the draft? God help us, some have even said what about Tebow.

I have no idea if any of these guys will work out, but acting like the Kolb signing was a terrible idea at the time, is just playing the hindsight game. As someone notes above, DRC and a 2nd round pick is not a lot to give up for a starting QB. Neither is the money we paid. I think it’s fair to be a little more critical of the regime at the time for not picking up one of the available QB’s in a richer QB draft last year, than to criticize the original signing, but even then, it’s also easy to understand their giving Kolb one more shot.

64. By cardsalltheway on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

That, was a disaster!

65. By Jesse on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Great piece yet again.

Playing GM in my head (as we all love to do), do you think colledge will be released? If so, do you think the cards are then in the market for vollmer? Because right now it seems warmack may be available in the draft at #7 while joeckel and fisher won’t.

Keep up the good work

66. By nodavis2000 on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

@Ottis Anderson Fan

That math calculation is freaking HILARIOUS!!! That’s the funnies dang thing I’ve read all week!!!

@Darren,

I don’t know if you remember, but do you remember all the fans’ comments and complaints about Levi Brown and he was worthless and should be cut??? Then, he got a lot better at the end of 2011. You put out there that he improved and you rec’d a whole lot of criticism for it. Then, Brown got hurt and put on the IR. You said that we all will see just how important Levi was to our line and you didn’t say it in a negative way or anything, only putting the thought out there. (I’m also sure that you got chewed out by fans because of that too.) Well, I just thought it’d be far to say this: You were FREAKING RIGHT!!! We all learned just how important Levi Brown is to our offensive line. (It’ll be interesting to see what BA does with him … his position. I think he might be putting on smoke&mirrors so that we can grab the top left tackle in the draft and move him inside, but that’s just my opinion.)

I know that I like to be told I’m right when I was right. So, just letting everyone who reads this knows that you were right. LOL

67. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Jesse —

RE: Colledge

No, I don’t see Colledge being cut.

68. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Nodavis —

RE: Levi

Appreciate it.

69. By BIG RED on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Life go’s on and I’m happy to be a Cardinal fan again.

70. By Cardfan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I wish Kolb would have restructured he is a stand up guy, and although a frustrating 2years he still finished with a better than 80% rating …. look at the market not many qb’s in free agency have that rating. The line has sucked for awhile and if it was liggit he would have won games and been decent… elite..eh… I don’t think so but decent. He never got lippy or pulled an Anderson, he was professional and handled media well. I wish him the best and hope Stanton has better luck, however still haven’t seen any OL moves which is heavy in draft but why lean on rookies, get some vets there’s plenty of good O – linemen this year available.
    I think everyone forgets that Warner’s first year here was not great, and most qb’s on a new team don’t do well… it takes time to learn and mesh.
    Just cut Synder and get a good OL and good back up center already please.
    And why are people suggesting another WR…. we are good there Fitz,Floyd,Roberts, Byrd …. use that money on something needed … OL!!

71. By Sackman on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

The Big SPLASH!!! This is what I call it. Kolb being released. Whether I agree with it or not, or whether anyone else agrees with it or not? It was for the best. Now lets move on and forget about it. Amen!!!

72. By Jon M on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Hi Darren –

I might not agree with you every time, but you seem like a cool guy who calls it like he sees it. I never meant to imply your thought process was rooted in you being part of the team, that thought honestly didn’t even occur to me.

Fact is, your articles are pretty much the entire reason why I come here.

Nothing but respect for you man.

Jon

73. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

What took so damn long?

74. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Now, we need to sign a worthy QB.

75. By clssylssy on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren…you say you don’t understand people getting so mad at Kolb being paid $20 million because it’s not our money. Perhaps you don’t understand, or the franchise fails to appreciate, the fact that many fans are living on a limited budget, that employment in the valley is practically non-existent, people have lost their homes but continue to try to “treat” their family to going to a Cards game. It is difficult to see players being paid millions who are unproven in the first place and then continue to be “given” their job even when they don’t produce. It’s not our money? Maybe, but who do you think buys the jerseys, fills the stands and makes it possible for you to have a job and the Bidwills to live the cushy life? Just say’n, the fans have an investment in the Cards and the fans who have supported this team throughout the years have struggled through more lean years than winners.
    I CHOSE to be a Cards fan, have supported this team for about twenty years, sweat to death at Sun Devil stadium in 120 degree heat when tickets could hardly be given away and their were more visitors than fans. For most of us, twenty million is hardly chump change and even six figures would keep us. in season tickets without a whimper. Fans aren’t so mad at Kevin Kolb personallty as they are at this organization who keeps jumping from one experiment to another without and continues to make bad decisions. We have tasted victory and it’s always more difficult to fall then to enjoy the ride to the top. We are now in the bottom AGAIN (new experience for some of the younger fans) and it’s difficult to see our rivals making great acquisitions while the players we know and trust are cut only to go to a better team (karma?) and be replaced by unknown quantities. I know that you get tired of fans whining but, it would be worse if there were no fans at all who even bothered to show an interest. Thank you for your efforts; the fans appreciate you!

76. By Scott H on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Certainly can’t fault the Cardinals for how things played out with Kolb. As stated, they needed a QB and he was ppretty much universally regarded as the best one available. I give the Cardinals credit for doing what they needed to to get him. I know people didn’t like giving up DRC as part of the deal, but…I didn’t mind that then and – seeing how poorly he has played in Philly the last 2 years – I don’t think we lost anything in the translation. Neither the Cards OR the Eagles got what they expected. Two years later, Kolb is gone from here and DRC will be gone from Philly.

What sucks is that as a fan, who do you blame for the fact that it was yet another move that just went in the toilet and got this team nowhere? Other than the brief success we had 2007-2009, we have certainly been under this dark cloud longer than most other teams in ANY pro sport. My God, WHEN WILL SOMETHING GO RIGHT FOR THIS TEAM????

77. By d on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

technicaly it is our money. we pay for tickets and taigates..jersys..hats..beer and hot dogs etc. the team lost so many games last season…i know a guy who sold his season tickets. i went to a cards game with my son..bought him a kids size cards hat..35 bucks. as far as im concerned..none of that money should have gone to kolb.

78. By Blake on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

If the cardinals tried to restructure his deal, don’t you think that they want him back and they are just letting him hit free agency to determine his market value? It seems from a negotiation standpoint, it would not make sense for the Cardinals to offer him a “reasonable” restructured contract because Kevin Kolb would just hit free agency anyways and use that offer as a starting point for other teams. It seems likely that the Cardinals do not want to bid against themselves so they gave him a low ball offer that the knew he would reject and they plan on bringing him back at market value.

And from Kolb’s standpoint, don’t you think that the Cardinals would be the best place for him? It seems that nobody is going to spend too much on Kolb so the pay with the Cardinals would be similar to other teams but don’t you think playing with the Cardinals gives him the best chance at being a starter?

And from the Cardinals standpoint, I doubt they are ready to risk our season with career backup, Stanton, as the started. Furthermore, Bidwill commented that the organization is not ready to give up on Kolb. Keim does not seem like somebody who is going to reach for a player, let alone, reach really far for a quarterback. And the fact that Arians has not endorsed Kevin Kolb and their has been talk about Kolb not fitting his system could just be a tactic to create leverage in the negotiations (along with bringing in Stanton and tendering Hoyer).

What are your thoughts?

79. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Blake —

RE: Kolb

I don’t know what was the conversation. You can make those arguments for Kolb and the Cardinals, but I don’t see them reuniting.

80. By Sackman on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Blake-

RE: Kolb

It’s over, move on.

81. By Ymmy Yames on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Great piece, Darren. I have had to hear some pretty negative stuff about Kolb, Whisenhunt, Graves, and the organization’s decision to bring Kolb in and it gets tiresome. It’s like people are bored and even though it’s all over now, they can’t move on from what happened 2 years ago. It was a bad trade, ended up being bad for both teams, and it hinged on Kolb’s inability to stay healthy. Happy to read an article to tell fans to move on and give Kolb a proper good bye.

82. By BIG RED on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Sarah, I’m just glad kk is out of the picture. Never will be any good anywhere.

2. Apr 2, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Breaking down a trade, and other Palmer aftermath