The market and the Cards’ newest additions

Posted by Darren Urban on March 15, 2013 – 4:52 pm

The Cardinals not only let Kevin Kolb go today, but they added a couple of defensive pieces needed: Defensive end Matt Shaughnessy, who provides depth behind Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell, and Antoine Cason, who will join Patrick Peterson and Jerraud Powers as the Cards’ top three cornerbacks in all probability.

Both men are coming in on one-year deals. As did Rashard Mendenhall and Yeremiah Bell earlier in the week. Bell isn’t a shock, because as an older veteran, he’s probably in a year-to-year status in his career. The rest just speaks to where we are in the NFL marketplace. Look around the league. There are a ton of one- and two-year deals being signed. The big money just isn’t there and it’s a buyer’s market. So Mendenhall, Shaughnessy and Cason will come in, hope to play well and then test out free agency again next offseason. The Cardinals get decent parts at the right price, with no hiccups to future salary caps if the players don’t work out.

Obviously, the downside is that if they play well, trying to re-sign them could get harder. But it’s a price the Cardinals will pay for flexibility.

I do think it’s going to get a little more quiet out there for the Cards. Owners’ meetings are at the beginning of next week. Are the Cards done? Maybe not. But it will be slow. Then again, there are still a lot of players out there looking for work and I think the money is drying up.

And no, I haven’t heard anything more on Josh Cribbs.

– On a separate note, Adrian Wilson signed with the Patriots on a three-year contract Friday, a not unexpected turn of events. Happy for Wilson, who will get his chance to chase a ring. Mike Jurecki, who broke the news, also said Wilson heard from 10 teams once he was released. Good luck to A-Dub. I’ll try not to call him Rodney (Harrison) the next time I see him.

Tags: , , , , , ,

83 Responses to “The market and the Cards’ newest additions”

1. By Cards4Ever on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Any truth in the Cardinals are looking to try to sign Nnamdi Asomugha?

2. By NJAzCardsFav on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I am glad for A-Dub to have ended up with a winner. I hope he makes it to the SB and gets a ring. He was a class act for the Cards and deserved better than the way he was treated here. The only way the Cards are going to the SB this season, is if they buy tickets……

3. By joe holst on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

go get dumerville and i will be satisfied.

4. By Erik on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Happy for Adrian Wilson, New England is my 2nd Fav Team!

5. By dubbb on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Isnt Shaughnessy more of a 3-4 OLB then 3-4 DE? I think he is an edge rusher but not positive.

6. By sqhead on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I think the Cards made some shrewd signings, nothing flashy, but solid hole fillers. I just hope they address the OL in the draft and not reach for one of these mediocre QBs. I think the QB class will be much better next year, so if they grind through and compete this year with what they have perhaps to a .500 record, then next year shore up the QB position with a quality prospect, I would call that a successful 2013.

7. By cardsalltheway on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Well, I like it so far. The players have to stay healthy and come together as a team, the defense is looking good. Now, all we have to do is focus on the OL/QB/TE/and because of the oft ignored William Powell – RB. Actually, he’s our healthiest so we have to back him up with someone. And, I’m assuming our 1st round draft pick last year will do something this year?

8. By craig on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I’m loving how aggressive the Front Office is being. So unlike the same old Cards. Really looks like they mean business and make this team successful. GO CARDS. Would still like to see a couple of new offensive lineman, but could be they are waiting for the draft. Anyway keep it up.

9. By tyman on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

A-Dub to the pats!!!
    Chance to win a ring? maybe, but not the best place for a vet to go and get treated well. A-dub hasn’t looked that great the last couple years to say the least. Id like to see him do well , but he will have to earn his keep with the pats.
    Best of luck Adrian.

10. By squalox on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Enhorabuena Adrian, aunque ya no seas parte del equipo bien por ti, se te recuerda bien, buena suerte

11. By Safety Guy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Quick question, when is the first date that team can come together. Coaches can meet with players and such.

And btw …great job the past few days! When do you get a break?

12. By azfaninwa on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Happy for A-Dub. He’s done it the right way and he deserves a shot.

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Cards4 –

RE: Nnamdi

Not after signing two CBs.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Dubbb –

RE: Shaughnessy

At 6-5, 285?

15. By Jeff B. on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

After all the signings and cuts, any guess where the Cardinals are from a Cap perspective?

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Safety —

RE: players together

April 1 because Arians is a new coach.

As for a break, I get the weekend.

17. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Jeff B –

RE: cap space

Maybe 5M? But that’s a guess.

18. By lg on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

At first i hated that we dropped players that had been hear for years now i understand we got younger and faster thanks Bruce and Keim. p.s younger and faster don’t mean better all the time we need a better safety than bell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. By shane on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

man this josh cribbs thing is really weird there are like 5 articles i have read that all say he sighed with the cards a couple of days ago. Wonder whats going on?

20. By Credit Card on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

All the signing appear solid, except for Mendenhall. I still wish we could have kept Tolar — somehow. Releasing of all the vets is a good idea. Provides cap room room, and gets the old guard out. come draft time, I hope the pick a QB in round three — m/b Scott form UofA (we need a scambler in our group of QB’s. Stanton, Skelton, Scott — palatable, not good, but Ok.

21. By Campbells on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Really glad to see the organization being so active in free-agency.
    Looking good going into the draft. No way we could’ve addressed all the issues in 1-draft.
    Now, we can truly take the best available players, and build a perennial contender, instead of trying to draft our way into the playoffs.

22. By cardinalchris on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I’m trying to field a 33rd team for the NFL. It’s only requirement is every player has to be a former Cardinal – preferably a former draft pick – and still playing or at least still a UFA.

Here’s what I have so far:
    Defensive line: K Vanden Bosch, A Branch, and Calvin Pace
    Linebacker : Q Groves, Dansby, Lenon, and Haggans
    CB: Toler and DRC
    Safety: A Wilson and A Rolle

Here’s where it gets hard…
    QB – Kolb…?
    WR – Q and Breaston
    TE – L Pope
    RB – Hightower and B Wells
    Offensive Line – has some holes to fill after L Davis and D Letui

I think the 33rd team could compete, at least on defense!

23. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Good for A-Dub. I will miss him. Glad he landed with a winner. I like how busy we have been in free agency. Can’t wait for the draft.!!!!!

24. By Patrick Eagan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

nfl.com said the cardinals have signed MLB jasper brinkley. Is that credible Darren?

25. By Patrick Eagan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

nvm about my post. i seen that you mentioned it in a previous blog.

26. By Cardfan on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I like what I see, wish I saw Snyder get cut and another Guard signed but other than that good moves i think so far. Happy for A-Dub hated to see him and Rhodes go both are solid players who were great CARDS!!

Oh btw “cardsfanalltheway” I believe you meant 1st round 2 yrs ago, 2yrs ago was Williams last year was Floyd… he wouldn’t help the run game much I don’t think as a WR.

I would really love to see a solid veteran T/G for the O-line and still draft one of each I think this is the year to do it with all options both in Free agency and Draft. I think last year was a testament that you can’t be too deep on the O-Line. Might need to address back up Center too, when Sendline went down that was a fiasco.
    Go CARDS!!! If the football GODs allow let us just take 1 away from each of division rivals, ….. maybe two fro San Fran if your feeling generous. Thank you

27. By Luke on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

In that article he says our sign was his favorite of the day.

I have been reading around the web, and %99 of the feed back has been positive from NFL experts. Love what BA is doing.

28. By Cactus jeff on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Don’t want to put words in your mouth. I heard you on the radio and you tripped over the question of whether Cardinals are in a rebuilding year. I think I caught what you were throwing which was essentially a team finishing 5-11 needs to rebuild its roster, but that being said, the Cardinals are in it to win this year. Am I close?

29. By UK CARD on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Am just a bit concerned with ALL the veteran players we’ve lost on the D! Wilson, Rhodes, Holiday, Lenon, Easton! That leaves Dockett as the farther figure! Erm scary!!

30. By UK CARD on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

* Eason* sorry :)

31. By Mark on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

I have to say today was a great day for Steve Keim and Cards. I think Matt Shaughnessy was a great pick up and could possible be a starter opposite Campbell. The dude is a beast and is in the prime of his career at 26. He is for sure upgrade over Carter and Eason and i would debate he is an upgrade over Dockett at this point in their career. As far as Antonie Cason, I think he is an upgrade over Toler or Gay. Great Pick ups.

32. By D-Willy on Mar 15, 2013 | Reply

Love the signings so far and your coverage has been outstanding.
    a couple questions I have about free agency possibilities….

1) Considering the fact we are still looking for more depth at safety… Do you think Zbikowski could be a possibility since he was released today? Just wondering seeing he playing last season with BA.

2) Now that Jake Long has passed his physical but left St. Louis with no contract, could Cards look at that as an opening to make an offer?

3) Okay I said 2, but I also wanted to look at the chance that Dumervil could get a look from the Cards? Signing a guy like that is an immediate improvement in the pass rush.

Thanks

33. By Mr Robles on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

So no O-Line free agents have stopped by?

34. By cardsalltheway on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Along with the Tuck Rule being scrapped, there might be no more lowering your helmet outside the tackle box. But, how would you get lower than your opponent? If it’s passed wouldn’t it be a difficult rule to enforce? And here is the Ryan Williams play where he lowered his helmet and still got hurt against the Rams. If this rule is passed should we count R. Williams out?

The NFL has been considering this rule change since at least 2009. I haven’t got much to go on since there isn’t much NFL film on Ryan Williams but can R. Mendenhall be very fast anymore? Anyway, he’s probably an advocate of lowering the helmet.

R. Mendenhall 40 yd. dash 2008 combine 4.43
    William Powell 40 yd. dash 2011 combine 4.49
    Ryan Williams 40 yd. dash 2011 combine 4.55

…“Running backs are taught since Pop Warner days to lower their heads and shoulders — to essentially curl their upper bodies into a ball — to protect their torsos and to limit the area a defender can hit. That position can aid the runner in gaining more yards if his uses his head as a battering ram.

The technique is particularly useful for players who rely on strength, not speed, to gain yards.

In one legendary play in 1987, Raiders running back
    Bo Jackson lowered his head and shoulder into Seahawks linebacker Brian Bosworth, pushing him backward into the end zone.”…

…J. Bettis admits that there were times he felt woozy after smashing headfirst into a defender. It was a fair trade-off, he figured, for being able to protect himself from body blows. “You understood that was part of the game,” Bettis said. “That ding, that was always there.” But perhaps not as often if a new rule were in place…

35. By dan on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Man are we just putting band aids on this team or what? 1 year contracts? Looks like a rebuild every year. I see my good old Cardinals starting to resurface back to the basement. Seahawks, 49ers and even the Rams are going to look better than us and they look to have much brighter futures. Just call it like I see it.

36. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

I’m not impressed with Cason, we could have did so much better with Asomugha or somebody else. He’s also on a stinking 1 year deal. Shaughnessy I do like he’s a good player but Cason and I don’t put all my stock in PFF graded out as a awful cornerback 6th from the bottom last year. Shaughnessy also is on a 1 year deal, the cardinals wanna have 30 ufa next year…#What The ?

37. By Brandon on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Since kerry and wilson have been cut, any chance cards might draft eric reid in the 2nd round?

38. By johnnybluenose on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

@cactus jeff. i know you asked darren to respond but he is taking the week-end off. for what it’s worth, not much, i know, i think we have a long way to go. we have a new coaching staff and unproven quarterbacks. i think our defense will be as good as last year’s. i think our offensive line had improved last year and will be better this year. our running game is questionable and our receiving corps, in my mind, is good but not great. we don’t know yet whether our draft picks will provide us with any impact players this year. our 2012 draft class did not exactly light it up last year. if the niners and seahawks stay reasonably healthy then we will not be in the playoff hunt this year. let us hope i’m wrong.

39. By cardsalltheway on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

joe holst,
    Sure he’d be great to have on the team but his “pay” or high salary and long term demand of contract would throw everything out of whack and we just signed Matt Shaughnessy. If we still need a DE that bad then draft one in the 4th round like the Broncos did with Elvis in 2006, but I don’t think we will.

40. By cardsalltheway on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Cardfan,
    No I meant Floyd, I just threw him in there at the end. Though, perhaps he really does need to learn how to do more than just run down field, stop, and jump for the ball. He was like a ghost last year(Fitz was like a mirage). But I’m sure it wasn’t all his fault, we were so bad on offense. Let’s hope our 1st round pick this year ain’t no ghost. For that matter, how about both our first 2 picks/rounds rise above the ghost status?

Trade Down! We’ll need bodies when these 1 year FA contracts expire next year and re-signing half of them will cost too much.

41. By Rich on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Don’t be surprised if the Cardinals win 9 games this season.

42. By iammattyoung on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

I like these moves. We’re in probably the toughest division in the NFL, and we’re not at the point that we’re going to realistically make the playoffs. But these moves make us watchable this year, and b/c most of the deals are 1 yr deals, it doesn’t hamstring us as we reload with draft picks, and then perhaps try to sign a real impact player down the line. I very much hope that we focus on building up the O-line this year, as that is what is going to make the most difference in the long run.

43. By Ed Scaife on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren– Thinking about the upcoming NFL owner’s meeting–It was 25 yrs ago during the owners meeting that the Cardinals were officially approved to move to Arizona. That’s a significant 25 yr anniversary. Are the Cardinals planning anything to commemorate this?

44. By Andy Kw on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know you said it is unlikely for any of our 2012 free agent Cardinals left will be returning but what about Nick Eason? Since Bruce Arians likes veteran leadership, is it still possible for DE Nick Eason to return with his presence in the lockerroom?

45. By truths4all on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

The QB Combine Report is out. Looks like Geno Smith is the only real prospect out there. The rest have glaring weaknesses, mostly concerning accuracy. Uof A’s Scott was very poor in accuracy, but showed a better arm than thought. He was just as bad as the bunch left behind by Smith so the perception of Scott as a project for later rounds was improved.

46. By Miamiredbird on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

If there ever was a season to trade down in the draft for a few more picks, this is definitely it. OL is deep, a QB they covet will still be there. But they wont do it, let alone consider it…..

47. By Max on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Sir with all due respect what do you think on Geno Smith.truly 100% AZ Cardnals fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. By ored on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

go for needs in FA and BPA jn the draft,working like a charm so far,now a little luck the players we grade highest fall to us and everybody should be happy.even if we don’t get all we want we should still field an exciting team and with the first year out of the way everything should be tuned and set for improvement each successive year.

important to score big this year since we have good draft picks,then each year as we get better,the picks are later,then it will be important to get the depth and maybe trade up for someone special to keep the momentum going.

49. By Andy Kw on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Our team did pretty nice so far:
    We replaced Greg Toler, Adrian Wilson, and Kerry Rhodes

With Rashad Johnson, Antoine Cason, Jerraud Powers, and Yeremiah Bell.
    Cason was a first round pick from Chargers and Powers was a 2nd round pick from the Colts. Yeremiah Bell was the leading tackler for the Dolphins in 2011 with the Dolphins before he signed with the Jets. Nice replacements but I still wish Adrian Wilson was with us.

50. By Scott H on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Have we acquired ANYONE yet who was signed to anything more than a one year deal??? Because I have yet to see a winning team put together that way. And having said that, I clearly recognize that what we are building at this point is NOT a winning team. This is throwing a bunch of parts together, hoping some of them work out. And with Richard Marshall in mind, I wonder how many of these guys will be here for any more than one year – EVEN IF THEY DO WELL HERE.

Seriously, how does a bunch of one-year deals play out? How many of them are gonna be here beyond that? Assuming it will be very few of them, then aren’t we just trying to fill in another bunch of holes again next year? Seems like that to me. C’mon, folks….this is not how to build a team. At some point, this perpetual cycle of filling pot-holes has to end.

I keep hearing the word splash. And I heard someone refer to Mendenhall as our “big” splash…..and all I can say to that is REALLY??? Here is what i consider a splash – the Broncos landing Peyton Manning last off-season and then landing Wes Welker a year later. THAT, my friends, is a SPLASH.

Rashard Mendenhall – coming off a serious injury – on a one-year deal? By comparison, that is a ripple caused by a leaf landing in a pond on a gentle spring day.

51. By eric on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

excited about the new additions.

52. By Jake on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Do the Cards have the financials to pursue Jake Long? Is he even on their radar?

53. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

darren you said we take a 6 million hit if we cut snyder/

well cut that bum right now so we have cap space next year no need to keep him here for this year period he is weak link i think my rottweiler can block better than him.

54. By Eric G on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Love the Cason and Shaughnessy signings. However, still no offensive linemen has not made this offseason better. They need to sign one or two offensive linemen, especially at least one top tackle. Smith has to be our choice at #7, not an OT.

55. By cardinalchris on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Why aren’t the Cards looking at Vollmer, Andre Smith or Jake Long? I know we had a couple rookies show some improvement, but all three of these 3 free agents are upgrades! Seems like picking at least one of these guys up and moving Levi or Massie inside to guard would make our line much improved! Vollmer can play either Left or Right tackle as well… Is our new management gun shy? Sure seems that way…

56. By cardinalchris on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

To further my point about upgrading our line, this is from ProFootballFocus:

Stud: What a year from Andre Smith (+26.9). Our top-graded right tackle was the only player on this unit to consistently generate movement in the run game, while … holding his own in pass protection.

Come on Keim, you know our line was awful last year! This line of bull about having talent there is ridiculous! Show me 1 single running play where we pushed the defenders down the field even 1 yard from the line of scrimmage! It didn’t happen.

57. By Marco_Antonio on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Darren, all these free agents are good moves but we only need so little help on our defense compare to the “911” help we need on offense. Do you know why no offers have been made to any offensive free agents? Why Coach Arians is still only concentrating more on the defense when we need more help on offense?

58. By fightingbird on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

what is going on with Howling is he still a Cardinal ,we haven’t heard

59. By Coach Kevin on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

I see exactly what the Cardinals are doing. Plug holes with 1 year guys and see who rises to the top. Then focus the draft on Offensive line and linebackers and perhaps a third round quarterback to develop. With BA. and Tom Moore mentoring a young QB, you can expect good results. I see us loading up with three offensive line, two linebackers, a young safety and a quarterback. They are going to build depth and competition this year. It’s a smart plan. Imagine our O-line two deep with starter quality players, and two deep with starting quality players on defense. I like what I’m seeing. They will not reach for a QB in round one, and maybe not round two. Most likely round three with Bray or Scott.

60. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

D-Willy —

RE: questions

1 and 2: No. I think they will address those things in the draft.

3. I don’t see Dumervil. I’d guess he’ll be too expensive.

61. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: Reid

Who knows?

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Ed –

RE: 25 years

I don’t believe so.

63. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Eason

Never say never. I think it is unlikely though.

64. By dan on Mar 16, 2013 | Reply

Jasper Brinkley? Hmmmm……he won’t make the roster.

65. By Brian on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Scott H-

Who is your big splash that you want? I’d love to hear your plan because all you have done lately is complain about theirs.

66. By cardsalltheway on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Scott H,
    “Have we acquired ANYONE yet who was signed to anything more than a one year deal??? Because I have yet to see a winning team put together that way.”

The NFL is a changin, if you haven’t noticed. There are repercussions of the players and referee’s 2012 lockout, when labor lost and capitulated – minus weak HGH testing.

Actually, both the players and NFL win in the near future with weak HGH testing.

But look at my 2nd comment and see how much more football could change. I’m waiting to see an NFL without players wearing helmets, but would that be so bad when they like taking them off so we can see their faces?

67. By Campbells on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Geno is overrated. Reminds me of Tebow, when he tried to re-invent himself before the draft. He’s been coached to mask his deficiencies. His tendency to get sacked can’t be fixed overnight. Tells me, “He couldn’t process information quickly enough, at the college level.” Speed of the NFL is going to be too much for him. Glad we don’t have to gamble on him.
    Hope we draft a QB with superior intellect. I’d like to see us take a brainiac that can beat you with his mind. We need to find the next Brady, Manning, Favre, etc.

68. By Andy Kw on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

I really hope Josh Cribbs comes to the Cardinals, since he is expected to sign here.
    -Our Defense will be much more improved and our Special Teams will be powerful if Josh Cribbs comes here.
    -The Offense has already improved. Hoyer should be battling for the 3rd backup job with John Skelton since I don’t believe Ryan Lindley will be returning to this team or the NFL at all. I expect this team to sign 1 more Quarterback in free agency and also draft one in the 3rd Round now that Stanton is signed. I believe Drew Stanton will be officially the starting QB of the Arizona Cardinals in the 2013 season.
    So this is where it stands:
    QB1: Drew Stanton
    QB2: 3rd Round QB vs. Free Agent QB
    QB3: Brian Hoyer vs. John Skelton

So Hey Darren,
    Will this team sign 1 more QB in free agency?

69. By Coach Kevin on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

I have to agree. I think Geno is overrated. I think Barkley has a better intellect for the game, but is average on the physical tools. I think Geno would need a year or two of experience and coaching to become a solid starter. He has all the tools.

Speaking of value, I would rather take a guy like Tyler Bray who is raw but has amazing tools and the biggest upside potential. So you have a choice of Geno is round one, or Bray in round two or three. Both have similar tools, but Bray is the best value and least risky at round three money.

70. By bluna2391 on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

That survey was funny, how is everyone excited over mendenhall? yea im glad that we have someone who will at least average 3 yards. Better than what we are used to, but we should be excited about lorenzo alexander. nothing like a pro bowler LB to shake things up! hope rashad has something left in the tank!

71. By Andy Kw on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think Ryan Fitzpatrick will be signed my the Cardinals? We need real competition with Drew Stanton. Drew Stanton vs. Brian Hoyer doesn’t seem right. Fitzpatrick vs. Stanton would be better.

72. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Brian –

Um, how ’bout some offensive lineman??? Ya think that would be nice? As far as a “plan” goes, I might start there. Seems to me I’ve heard that the O-line is pretty important in the NFL. How ’bout building THAT foundation with some PROVEN talent??? Drafting O-lineman is a fine thing. But you and I both know that that is always a crap shoot and even when you DO get the right guys, they sometimes don’t really kick in until the 2nd or third year. Veteran O-lineman, however, can have an instant impact and if you know of an area where this team is more in need of an instant impact, then let me know.

And, second, the Cardinals don’t employ OR pay me to be a front office executive. Therefore, it ain’t my job to have the “plan” to make this team better. They have people who DO get paid to be NFL front office executives, OK? And if you or they don’t mind my saying so, they ain’t doing a very good job. And call me crazy, but I’m just using the records of the last three LOSING seasons as my basis for making that observation. So, get off my back and point the finger of responsibility where it belongs.

I love how the team goes 5-11 last year , lost 11 of their last 12, was absolutely pathetic and YOUR issue is with ME finding fault with the way things are being done! I swear, this organization must love you for your willingness to be so easily distracted from what the REAL problems are…

73. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: QB

Why would they?

74. By Brian on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

“Yes, I have criticicized this organization plenty and will continue to do so until THEIR plan achieves some success.”

So with a new front office and head coaching staff in place, you are going to give them what…5 days?

Look, I get you are frustrated, I don’t like losing either, but to call everything Keim and Arians have(or haven’t) done already a failure in you mind in my opinion is rather narrow minded. Making a “splash” in FA this early usually costs a lot of money and that’s not something this team has right now. There are other holes to fill and there are a lot of offensive lineman still available who are now cheaper because they have lasted this long into FA. If you ask me, I don’t think we were ever going to spend a ton of money on OL in FA when the draft is so deep at the position. These guys still available can come in and do what we need them to and provide depth or a bridge until our picks are ready. But the longer they are out there, the cheaper they will be.

And don’t be so sensitive, geez, I just asked you what your plan was because you think theirs sucks because it hasn’t won any games during a season that hasn’t taken place yet. GMs across the NFL get chastised for the decisions they make or don’t make, why shouldn’t the keyboard GMs on here be questioned? Isn’t that what we all are when we claim to know what is best for the organization?

75. By Cert 33 on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Agree with many of the other posters. Let’s see, we had what most felt was the 5th to 7th rated defense and there have been many releases and new FA signings on defense and we had what everyone agreed was the absolute worst offensive line in Pro Football and there has been very little done. Hmmm… If my memory serves me correctly, Drew Stanton was one of the Colt QB’s who “stepped up” to fill the void during Peyton Mannings recovery from neck surgery. Was he at the helm when they got their one win for that season? Prediction: Kevin Kolb will have more completions and touchdowns than all Cardinal QB’s combined for 2013 (there will probably be a carousel of many QB’s in 2013). The good news is that without Jackson and Amendola, the Ram’s will battle us for last place in the NFC West. Arian’s is not showing much so far.

76. By philly cards? on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

After 17 yrs I can nolonger see more than 1 more bad season. Ill give them this year because of my bruce arians connection he coached temple across the street from my highschool. 2 yr contract 1 yr option for me. Ill be at pats fan with adub.I can’t do two teams.

77. By Brian on Mar 17, 2013 | Reply

Cert 33-

Stanton was not on the Colts in 2011 when Manning was out. He was still in Detroit. Good try though…

78. By johnnybluenose on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

i really do not want another quarterback competition. unless there is another russell wilson out there, who can come in out of the cold and flat out beat out the annointed quarterback, then i want to see stanton get all the work so that he can learn the system and get comfortable with our receivers. if he proves not to be the answer at quarterback then i think we are in big trouble again because, right now, i don’t care much for our plan B.

79. By birdnerd58 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Great job in free agency so far…filled some very needed holes, which will allow us to go bpa in the draft. Having said that if the draft gods are with us this is what I would like to see us do.
    Rd. #1 – Lane Johnson (T)
    Rd. #2 – Tyler Bray (QB)
    Rd. #3 – Gavin Escobar (TE-if he is still there)
    Rd. #4 – Best available safety (or RB/OLB if someone that is special is still there)
    Rd. #5 – RB/OLB
    Rd. #6 – OLB/RB
    Rd. #6 – C/G (most versatile available inside lineman)

I like the idea of taking Ryan Fitzpatrick, and not drafting a QB this year and waiting till next year…as previously mentioned.

Of course this is all considering the football gods, opened up the draft, and made each of them our bpa. Rounds 4, 5, 6 and 6 would be pretty much bpa with C/G, RB, S, and OLB as the choices.

80. By clssylssy on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

For the most part I agree that this “new regime” hasn’t really made any significant moves but I will give them credit for being active because it gives the illusion that progress is going on even if it’s smoke”n”mirrors. Arians is suppose to be the “QB whisperer”, he knows Stanton, and so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one with the thought that the only way any QB is going to be an improvement is if they do some MAJOR overhaul to the offensive line…so, his QB experiment is hingent upon his future investment in the 0-line. I would have felt better to see some recognized proven veteran talent there to go along with rookies; I’m not very optomistic that our offense is going to be a whole lot better than it was, only with different faces. The wholesale dismantling of a perfectly good defense with replacement by lesser talents says to me that these guys are insecure and just want to clean house of all that was Whisenhunt/Horton, at a time we could have utilized our resources more effectively fixing the offense. Four QBs is fine with me after what we’ve all witnessed in recent years around the league when teams have no depth at that position. I would even go for signing Fitzpatrick for a Fitzpatrick/Stanton/Hoyer corp and drafting a rookie for the future (or later this season) then Skelton to the practice squad to be “fixed” by Arians as insurance.
    I find it amusing that those fans who were so disgusted and impatient with Whisenhunt/Horton (with their proven Championship record) are now willing to give this unproven HC years to rebuild?? While I respect Coach Arians it is a fact that his first time as HC; filling in for Chuck Pagano was difference in that he was working with Pagano’s talent choices, calling Pagno’s plays, and while the “Coach of the Year” is a nice AP Award, it is not industry recognition. Let’s keep it real and remember that Fitz is still the only big name talent we have while the 9ers and Hags continue to add supersoldiers to their squads, Hoping for the best but not expecting a miracle!

81. By t.stone on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

We are going to need Linebackers that can cover WR’s in our division. Lets get another shut down corner and 2 other big ones that can play safety, the run and cover a RB or TE. Is that Safety Adrian Wilson still available? I think that big dude was just released. OH……..too late. Dang. I hope BA has a plan for the D instead of just moving Dockett around. Lordy Lordy we might be in trouble. Drew Stanton is not putting up 30 a game for sure.

82. By ored on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

ya’ll do know we have’nt won or lost a game yet,still lots of moves to make and much training and work before the season even starts.nobody knows what the finished product will look like yet,more important how that team will play like,sometimes the total is more than the sum of its’ parts.how can you be judging a new staff and many new players when we have’nt even played ball yet?the man did a great job last place he worked,give him a chance.it’s a time for fans to be excited,if we suck at the end of the year,then spout your woulda shoulda stuff,until then the man deserves his opportunity to do what he feels is best,not like any of us will ever have that chance,closest we’ll get to that is armchair general and a website to remake a roster…no pressure there,not much glory either,lol,we’re fans not management,we have our role;players have theirs,and management has theirs.if that’s not enough,go try out,apply for a job there,those people worked years to get where they’re at and most started as rookies and at the bottom.

i think we should be looking pass rusher before the 4th round,there are some elite players to be had early,just my opinion, who knows when we get another chance to get a young stud olb that gets 10,12,14 or more sacks a year,look what jj watt did for texas defense.how they gonna game plan for that,can’t double everyone,calaise,dd,williams.

if i’m not mistaken massie’s last 8 games had no sacks on him and potter was below 1 sack a game even after being thrown in the fire and opponents were circling him like sharks,read where he’s already put on 15-20 lbs.muscle,off season to prepare,and camp;he’ll be better,and levi coming back,gonna be real competition at lft.tackle if he picks back up where he was before injury.if levi gets his spot back,potter is a good run blocker,probably better now with more heft,colledge ranks above average in pass blocking,below in run blocking,we have’nt seen what snyder does healthy or what the washington kid brings.i think the pieces are there just need coaching and time to gel.time to be upbeat not negative,we could surprise.

83. By Scott H on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Brian –

First, I think you are thinking of free agency as being 5 days old because it technically started 5 days ago. In other words, that was when players could actually start signing deals. Well, I don’t see it that way. I think the preparation for free agency should be going on months before that day comes. But unfortuantely, it really doesn’t seem like the Cardinals are as prepared and ready to roll as many other teams when the gun goes off. So, in my mind, I am not criticizing the organization for what they have done in 5 days. I am criticizing them for what they have NOT done very well for the past 3 years at this point. FIVE DAYS??? ARE YOU KIDDING???

Second, I find it…well, kinda sad that you feel the organization should be excused for not having a lot of money to spend right now. Really? And how is this different from last off-season? And the one before that? And the one before that? GIVE ME A BREAK! If you want to excuse that, you go right ahead. That is your right as a fan. But don’t preach that crap to me. i will not excuse a professional sports franchise that is perpetually in a position where they can not afford to get better when so many other teams – who have to operate with the same salary cap – operate so much more efficiently.