Center of NFL universe comes to Phoenix

Posted by Darren Urban on March 18, 2013 – 9:22 am

The NFL owners meetings are underway at the Arizona Biltmore for the next few days, with the power brokers of the league coming together to talk about various topics and the league’s media stalking them on sidewalks and lobbies. From a Cardinals’ perspective, the last three owners meetings to come to town have coincided with two coach hires (Arians this year, Whisenhunt in 2007) and the splashy Emmitt Smith signing in 2003.

Comissioner Roger Goodell will have a press conference today, but we’ll see if there is more local news beyond that. I know the question keeps coming up — over and over — about Josh Cribbs, and there is again another report out of Cleveland today that Cribbs and the Cardinals are talking. To have it termed that he will “possibly” sign does leave the door wide open for nothing to go down. I don’t see the Cards taking on Cribbs unless it was totally on their terms. They don’t need a receiver per se, although I am sure they could fit Cribbs in in a role similar to LaRod Stephens-Howling if they wanted. At this point, when it’s done — if it’s done — is when it’s done.

And for those who still wonder, Rey Maualuga re-signed with the Bengals today. His door closed in Arizona once they signed Jasper Brinkley.

Tags: , , ,

30 Responses to “Center of NFL universe comes to Phoenix”

1. By donttakelosses on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Any wave two OL on the front burner?

2. By djjackson81 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

With Williams and Mendenhall the only backs on the roster and all there injury histories. AZ need another RB FA or draft.

3. By JJ on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Any credence to the rumor that Fitz may be the receiver Irsay is talking about trading for?

4. By D on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

IF AZ signs K. Boothe from NY this week, who would be the odd man out, Sendlien or Synder? (he can play both spots)
    I know cutting Synder doesn’t save any $ and I believe Colledge just got 1mil bonus in the last few days so he is safe…and they probalby want draft a G/T so before we know it, we will have too many OLman……

Cribbs return average of over 25yrds was still better than any AZ returner last year.

5. By hummer53 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Emmitt coming here turned out OK but not great of course being he was at end of career. The best part of it was how it irked Cowboy fans.

6. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

My take on what the cards have done so far;

This team was 5-11 in the best division in football and going no where. Arians realized this and put in a plan to rebuild.

Instead of slowly rebuildng both sides, he decided to use some guys on defense that will help us get through this process. A 35 yr old safety, 1 year deals, and price cutting.

I think you will see a total offensive draft. Oline and QB, maybe a TE.
    Obviously, if a defensive player falls and is too good a value, they may pounce, but I see an offensive draft.

Lets say the cards land a QB, Tackle, Guard/Center, Guard/Tackle, a RB,and a TE in the first 6 rounds. The offense could be set for years.

Next year come back and get a OLB who can pass rush, a DE, a safety, a CB, and ILB, and we could be good for years to come.

By 2015, this team will have a QB going into his 3rd year, with a solid oline, a fast young defense and another draft. Not to mention, lots of cap room to resign our guys or make the moves they need.

People want to win now. Somehow, someway, they expect us to overcome the niners and seahawks who are far more talented. What you dont remember is, while we were winning the division, the seahawks and niners were busy drafting olineman, drafting a QB, drafting defense, and clearing cap space, just waiting for that moment to pounce, add a FA and take over.

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

DontTake —

RE: OL

If they were going to sign an OL, it won’t bee soon. It’ll be later in the market.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

JJ —

RE: Fitz/Colts

Can’t see it at all. Cards are going to take a $15M cap hit to trade him? Even if they wanted to they can’t.

9. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

D —

RE: Boothe

I don’t know what direction they would go, if any, to cut someone.

10. By Colorado card on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand why they would be talking to cribs. Unless they are getting him for next for free. We are pretty deep at receiver and patrick peterson is returning. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me

11. By D on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

john the draft guy-
    I would draft D. Jordan if he is on the board in round 1. It will come down to the best available pass rusher at 7 vs Lane Johnson, the 3rd rated Off tackle. (Jockel and Fisher will be gone)

Dion Jordan would be the AZ version of Aldon Smith.

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Colorado Card —

RE: Cribbs

It’s a fair question. But if they can get him for their price, it’s not a bad 4th receiver/ST option.

13. By Chuck 1 on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Peterson wasn’t very effective in 2012 as a PR.
    I believe that Cribbs would be a significant improvement.

14. By Kurt on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Darren:

I’m shocked LaRod Stephens-Howling hasn’t been signed away or resigned are the Cards even talking to him?

15. By ndpenner on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the bracketology Darren. It’s cool to actually see that there was some good this season. The only bad thing about it is that key players in most of those plays are no longer with us….

16. By Dynosoar on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

djjackson81,

Unless I missed an anouncement, I do believe William Powell is a third back on this team. I think with the two you mentioned and William Powell, we have a solid RB corps, now add Lacey and we’ll have the best RB corps in the league.

(I don’t think Lacey will still be available at #7, and I’d take Chance Womack over Lacey, but if Lacey’s there and not Chance…)

17. By daniel on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

fitz, floyd, roberts, & cribbs ? thats can be high octane. cribbs can return also.
    cant wait to see how it all works out.
    i believe we are on the right track.

GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: LSH

Right now, doesn’t sound like it.

19. By Andy Kw on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

I wish LaRod Stephens-Howling would return but I guess he isn’t so best of luck to him.
    -This team can spend cheap on veteran Offensive Linemen: We need Offensive Tackles and Guards so here are 2 veterans I think this team should get at a cheap price:
    -OG Brandon Moore (Has not missed a game and is healthy)
    -OT Jammal Brown (He might not be as healthy as this team would like, but he is a beast when healthy which is why he was drafted in the first round by the Saints in the 2005 season)

20. By andystandsup on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Matt Hasslebeck, possibility, Darren?
    Personally, don’t see it cuz of Stanton signing, but would the Cards be willing to get older at position?

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Hasselbeck

Given the scenario, I can’t see any reason they would want Hasselbeck.

But I’ve been wrong before.

22. By Luke on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

I think the moves they made not only set them up long term. But also at the same time if they fight hard and believe in coach Arians they will have a shot at the play offs. Lets not forget my fellow birds we did beat the Seahawks last season with a decent QB and semi healthy o line.

23. By a killer kr3w on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Do you figure Cason would start opposite of Peterson or would he have to battle Powers?

24. By Campbells on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Looks like Joeckel, and Fisher will be gone before we pick. Drafting a QB, or RB first round aren’t really essential.
    Darren, Who would you have the Cards taking in the first round, in your mock. Who makes the most sense?

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

Campbells —

RE: Mock

No idea right now. So hard to know who really will be picked that high. What if Geno rockets up the board? How does that change things? Too early.

26. By Jerrytown on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

I definitely see us drafting a lineman early, I just don’t know that we’d take on more than one, maybe two….unless we cut or trade someone, we just don’t have the roster spots to support three new O-linemen. We have Brown, Potter and Massie at tackle. Colledge, Snyder and Kelemete at guard and Sendlein and center, plus I’m sure I’m missing an expendable backup somewhere. Obviously Snyder is gone as soon as it makes sense cap-wise, so that leaves opens up a guard spot…but say we land Fisher or Lane Johnson, we’d have to move Potter or Massie to guard with the odd man out being a rotation guy at tackle. Then you’re pretty much full at that point, although we could draft a guard/center which would be valuable for depth along the line. But Kelemete played decent toward the end of the year and I know Potter and Massie impressed. I just don’t see us spending a bunch of picks on the line. I honestly think giard is our biggest need along the line….

I also guarantee we take one of the safety’s in the 2nd…Cyprien, Elam or Reid. Bell is a stop gap and we need a future starter to groom ASAP, plus those three are all solid (Cyprien would be my choice). I wouldn’t be shocked if we trade down, maybe even really far, to acquire more picks and possibly come up on a 2014 pick. Maybe go after Jonathan Cooper or Menelik Watson at the tail end of the 1st. We need a lot of young talent, and those one year players we signed will either need to be re-signed at a premium if they succeed, or replaced altogether if they don’t. I think our best bet is to move down and pick up as many players as we can to groom for the future…build a good young core through the draft, it’s really the only way to turn the tables in our division.

27. By Eazy E on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

We do need another WR Darren, we lost Early who was an effective WR when he had a better than horrible QB. Cribbs would be a good addition/solid. Rey is a better player than Brinkley and he ”only” signed for 2 yrs and 6.5 mil, we could have got him. Also what the hell are we doing on our O-line? McKinnie is out there, A. Smith and Vollmer? This regime is puzzling as hell when it comes to some of these moves among other things. I don’t dislike every single move but damn some of them are just plain baffling and these short ass contracts.

28. By Eazy E on Mar 18, 2013 | Reply

We still have HUGE needs at QB, TE, All of the O-Line except for C, maybe OLB(not a huge need, but a need nonetheless), CB, S and RB(Again not as big, but still a need because of the injury proneness of Rashard and my boy Ryan). The draft ain’t gone fill all those needs for us. We could get Tebow when he is eventually released, I just mentioned the linemen we could get and add to that list Brandon Moore formerly of the New York Jets who is pretty good, Elvis or Osi would be sweet and Nnamdi or Mike Jenkins and I mean Ed Reed is still out there, these are just suggestions but hell they make hella sense.

2. Mar 19, 2013: All Newspapers in one place | Center of NFL universe comes to Phoenix
  3. Mar 19, 2013: Center of NFL universe comes to Phoenix – AZCardinals.com (blog) | Nation News