Belichick talks A-Dub (a little)

Posted by Darren Urban on March 19, 2013 – 4:05 pm

While the decision to move on from Adrian Wilson has created what will likely be only a bridge for the safety to eventually come back to the franchise in some capacity (even if it is mainly about going into the Ring of Honor), his new gig with the New England Patriots will bear watching given Wilson’s large fan base on this side of the NFL. How does Wilson — who signed a team-friendly contract with a $1 million salary in 2013 and a $1 million signing bonus — fit there? Well, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked about it — a couple of times — this morning. It wasn’t particularly illuminating.

The first attempt at asking about Wilson, Belichick — who was well known to have admired Ravens safety Ed Reed, for instance — was asked if he had similar thoughts on Wilson.

“He’s been very productive in the league,” Belichick said. “Look forward to working with him. We’ll see how it goes.” Asked about Wilson’s role, Belichick said, “I don’t know.”

Later, there was another attempt at getting some words about Wilson. Again, he mentioned Wilson was productive. Again, he was asked about his potential role.

“Whatever role he creates for himself with his performance and his production, same as everybody else,” Belichick said.

The best insight came from Belichick responding to the comparison of Wilson to former Pats safety Rodney Harrison, another guy who was let go (by the Chargers) but had a rebirth in New England.

“I understand the question,” Belichick said. ” I mean, Rodney Harrison’s one of the greatest players ever to play for the New England Patriots, one of the greatest players, I think, to play his position in the National Football League. Pretty high comparison. I’m not saying (Wilson) isn’t, but you’re talking about a great player (in Harrison).”

DubBelichickUSE

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Belichick talks A-Dub (a little)”

1. By joe holst on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

bell his replacement his horrible. ranked 50 out of 55 safeties.

2. By Erik on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

lol funny pic

3. By tyman on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

for every big FA hit on the Pats there’s a ton of flops. A-Dub need to earn his job.

4. By beardinals on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Caption for the picture: “Whachoo talkin’ ’bout, Bill”?”

5. By Nathan on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Bell is a transition player on a 1 year contract. My guess is we’ll draft a S fairly high to replace him.

6. By Brad O'Neill on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Bill knows Adrian, I suspect some people may be hurt in the afc next year.

7. By clssylssy on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

The loss of Wilson and Rhodes are two pillars the new guys made a mistake in not keeping. I understand the push to go younger but in this case the Cards chose to go for cheap rather than quality. The fact that they were both fan favorites is not going to sell tickets to fans who could still take consolation in seeing these guys play at home even if the team was struggling–they always were worth the price of admission. I’ll be cheering fo them wherever they are playing as with other former players which will seem strange. I know the “new regime” wants to build through the draft but a team still needs to retain a few Vets to add some character..Adrian Wilson is another class player the likes of which make up the Great teams, separating them from those not so memorable. The Patriots got a good man and our loss is their gain.

8. By Credit Card on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Bill (remember spygate) Bilichick — some of more glaring coaching moments. Not shaking hands when his team loses, denying about spying on teams, then found overtly spying on every team, speaking in circles about players … I’ve wondered on how ths coach could possibly be labelled a “genius”.

9. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

A-Dub is the man and will be missed in Arizona. I hope he is a major contributor to the Patriots success. He is a true talent and professional. Good Luck A-Dub.

10. By Jonathan on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

That picture in context of the article is probably the greatest thing I’ve ever seen. Hahah!

11. By Dre on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

A dub is a stud still pissed

12. By Cody Zarr on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Joe,

I’m not sure why you assume Bell will be supplanting Johnson who seemed to earn the spot late last year. Do a bit of digging on him and you’ll see he’s a hard worker and has grit. I am also unsure where you obtained his “rank” from. When you don’t cite a source it takes the wind out of your sail. Madden 13 doesn’t count as a source either.

To top it all off, this draft has some serious safety talent in it. So… Not that we need an extra SS, but if we did…

13. By Eazy E on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

God, that was stupid to let him go. I hope he wins a super bowl and puts egg all over the cardinals face. I love the cardinals but they have really pissed me off since they didn’t hire Ray Horton and it’s like bad move after bad move after solid move after bad move after bad move, it ain’t consistent.

14. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 19, 2013 | Reply

Shannon Robinson;

Sorry, just saw your post to me a few post back.

First, Chance Warmack:
    He dominated for Bama, no doubt. He will be an asset to any team, and I will not be upset if we take him. But, I for one, am not big on taking guards in the top ten. I also am not sure if Johnathon Cooper isnt a better match for Arians zone blocking.

When thinking impact player (as Arians has said about the number 7 pick), I think Geno Smith, Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordon, Dee Milliner, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson. I believe our first round pick comes from this group.

I also am really high on Justin Pugh. This is a very good athlete that fits the zone blocking to perfection. Most likely a LG, he can play LT. He would be a very nice second round pick.

But back to your comment that Bowles wants a outstanding safety, This position will be addressed in the draft. How early really depends on what Bowles wants in his safety. My guess is a guy like Eric Reid at the beginning of round 3. The OLB is a need but I dont know if the cards pull the trigger in this draft after Alexander.

But what I find most interesting is the fact that the Rams and the Vikings each have two first round picks. If they could fall in love with, say Corderrelle Patterson, and want to come up and get him, that would be the perfect trade. Getting say #23 and 25, you never know who might be there like Kenny Vaccaro, Tyler Eifert, or Terron Armstead.

I mean if the draft ended up where we traded down and ended up with 23 and 25 and picked;
    TE Tyler Eifert
    OT Terren Armstead (the best tackle no one is talking about and great athlete)
    In the second;
    T/G Justin Pugh
    and the 3rd
    Safety Eric Reid or Phillip Thomas
    Come back in the 4th and land
    T/G David Quessenbury (one of my favorites from the senior bowl)
    Would you be upset? I wouldn’t.

15. By cardsalltheway on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Erik,
    Yes, it was!

beardinals,
    You talkin bout dis…

16. By patriotenvy on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I think Adrian is going to help the Pats D a lot. He has a good opportunity. Sounds like he was well like in AZ.

17. By D on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Draft Part 2

Revised edition based on research.

1—D. Jordan OLB
    2—M. Glennon QB
    3—JJ Wilcox SS
    4—C. Michael RB
    5—H. Thorton G
    6—W. Gholston DE
    6— M. Williams TE

“You’re so wise. You’re like a miniature Buddha covered with hair.”

18. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

D,

A couple comments;

I like Dion Jordon and he may be the guy. I would be happy with that pick but with the addition of Alexander to OLB to join Schofield and Acho (not to mention Schaughnessy), I’m not sure that is the direction.

Glennon is a guy everyone wants to like. Mayock raved about him for the senior bowl and combine, but came away disappointed. He looks like an NFL QB, but misses way too many open receivers.

C Michael slepted in at the combine, has a history of injuries and was in the doghouse of one of my favorite coaches, coach Sumlin. No thank you. Your attitude issues don’t get better with a pocket full of money.

JJ Wilcox has played one year as a SS. He is a work in progress. With Rashad signing and playing SS, I would think we go to a FS.

Thorton is the perfect example of why you dont need a guard in the first round. He could play behind Colledge this year and take over next. Although I cant remember him in the bowl games, I hear he is a solid player.

That’s my take.

2. Mar 19, 2013: Can a Harrison-type player exist today? – ESPN (blog) | Patriots Craze