Don’t you use that word

Posted by Darren Urban on March 20, 2013 – 3:38 pm

The roster is churned, veterans are moved out and the program undergoes an overhaul. So, Bruce Arians, some think the Cardinals are rebui….

The word doesn’t even get all the way out.

“Never use that word. Never use that word,” Arians said Wednesday morning. “We are reloading not rebuilding. We refused to use that word last year in Indianapolis and it was 37 new players on the roster. (Veteran defensive end) Robert Mathis said, ‘I ain’t got time to rebuild.’ And we were in the playoffs. There is no rebuilding going on. We are just plugging in new faces and different faces. This team is not very far off.”

The won-loss record is going to determine that, of course. Certainly the Cardinals are headed toward underdog status at the very least, especially in a division with Seattle, San Francisco and a Rams team that — don’t forget — went 4-1-1 within the NFC West. Arians said the division reminds him of the AFC North, where he coached many years with both the Browns and Steelers.

“One year ago, I don’t think anyone had Seattle that high,” Arians said. “(Quarterback) Russell Wilson made all that happen. Pete (Carroll) did a great job with his defense. One guy can change your whole outlook.”

(Which is true — if a team finds the right QB to be the one guy.)

“I like our defense against anyone’s defense in the division,” Arians added. “We’ve got to make our offense up to speed so we can compete in the division. It starts with division dominance. We have beaten these teams in the last two years, so it’s not like they are dominating us. I’ve always said, win your home games and scratch out a few on the road, you’re in the playoffs.”

– During the meetings, the NFL officially set the date of Super Bowl XLIX (49) at University of Phoenix Stadium following the 2014 season. It will be Feb. 1, 2015. So plan your time accordingly.

– Restricted free agent quarterback Brian Hoyer officially signed his $2.02 million one-year tender offer Wednesday. He is now officially a Card for 2013 and can’t shop around. (Although, unlike a franchise tender offer, a restricted free agent contract is not guaranteed if he is released.)

HoyerKaepUSE

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “Don’t you use that word”

1. By NYCardinals212 on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I’m not a bettin’ man, but I believe it’s more likely than not, these will be the O-line starters for game 1 of 2013 season (of course, a 1st round pick changes everything):

LT Levi Brown
    LG Daryn Colledge
    C Lyle Sendlein
    RG Adam Snyder
    RT Bobby Massie

I give it a 60% chance. Over or under?

2. By Eazy E on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Colin to Brian: You’re actually a starting QB???

3. By Brett n Co. on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

That’s right protect the nest!! Would be great if we can be 8-0 at home, and here’s to reloading instead of rebuilding! Just want the best from the Cards!!!

4. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals –

RE: OL

60 percent chance of that exact lineup? I will give it about 10 percent.

5. By NYCardinals212 on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

See, that’s why I don’t bet. My logic doesn’t necessarily live in harmony with my gut.

6. By Caspir on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I see the cardinals getting Tyler Eifert with 1st pick. Anyone agree?

7. By jmh1982 on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals –

Not that my opinion really matters or anything, but I would be pretty upset if both Snyder and Colledge are on this roster come regular season. At least one of them needs to go, preferably Colledge considering he only plays guard and has a cap hit of 7.275M in each of the next 3 seasons.

8. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Caspir,

I would love Eifert if they traded down. If someone could or has caught the attention of Minnesota or the Rams, What a great trade that would be for us. If Minnesota loved Dion Jordon and moved up, that could help the cards.

Lets say we got the 23rd pick and 25th pick from the Vikings, then Eifert would be a great addition.

9. By Jon M on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Reloading not rebuilding? Boy, I must say I have been impressed with Arian’s quotes for the most part, but did he ever miss the mark with that little doosy. Pure silliness….

10. By johnnybluenose on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

it is too early to know if stanton will be our quarterback but i am glad that arians, at this point, is not planning on an extended, divisive and unproductive competition at that position…unlike whiz, whose obsession with that competition did nothing but take away valuable practice time from our first team offense and take away the confidence of all of our quarterbacks last year.

11. By ored on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

jmh1982

could easily happen if levi is the lft.tackle,slide potter to lft.guard,i think massie is good at rt.tackle,would like to see more of the washington kid,could be colledge and/or snyder are gone or depth for one year.pick up an o-lineman in middle rounds of draft.colledge has experience at center also i believe, and snyder has played tackle,guard,and center,so one more year until rookies are settled in somewhat.

12. By Andy Kw on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

Caspir -

RE: Quarterbacks

Even if the Arizona Cardinals aren’t getting a QB in the first round, why in the world would Tyler Eifert be selected? QB Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, and Mike Glennon will all be available. This team should sign E.J. Manuel in the 2nd or 3rd round. He has a strong arm and would be a nice replacement just in case QB Drew Stanton is faltering.

13. By Coach Kevin on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I have a strong feeling the top two tackles will be gone before the cardinals pick. That means we could see a pass rusher taken in round one, then possibly a quarterback in round two. E.J. Manuel really fits the mold and would make sense in round two. Then i see back to back offensive linemen in round three and four. We finish off the draft going back to defense.

14. By Eazy E on Mar 20, 2013 | Reply

I don’t really know what the hell we’re doing?? I don’t think Arians realize that Stanton isn’t good. Maybe he’s getting Andrew and Drew mixed up. Luck plays for the Colts and Drew signed with us ugh! We ain’t going nowhere but further down with Stanton. I just hate to see guys like Larry, Pat, Daryl, Dockett, Calais, etc. just suffer through pathetic moves, coaching and I actually like Arians after Reid and Horton.

15. By eric on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

I hope we get Alabama OG Chance Warmack with our first pick.

16. By clssylssy on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

LOL…”Rebuilding” is the pat EXCUSE franchise give ticket holders each year a team bombs and then has to fix something! Rebuilding, reloading–somantics and code for “Give us your money…AGAIN…roll the dice…AGAIN”. Been through many, many “new regimes” with their reloading/rebuilding so Ill pass on the cool-aide and hope for the best. Actions will prove more important than somantics and I will be impressed when I see some games being won… I want the results Arians said he could deliver when he was hired:)

17. By kualla83 on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

NY Cardinals. I agree with you on Colledge, the guy is being paid like a Pro Bowl Guard and doesn’t play even remotely close to that level. I say draft a couple of Guards to shore up the interior of the line. Release Colledge and take the cap hit this year and just add it to the dead money we have already tied up from the other players we have released. Snyder can stay and be a starter/backup if we need him. I like our tackle depth but it wouldnt hurt to add another tackle in the draft.

18. By Caspir on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw-

chemistry with Floyd from Notre D, fits perfectly in Arians system and does exactly what he wants a TE to do as far as shifting and confusing defenses, great pass catcher-nightmare for DBs. I know we need a line, but this would be an interesting pick that I wouldn’t be mad at. Arians seems very confident about Stanton so I don’t know about Geno Smith.

19. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

I think to suggest that Russel Wilson made it ALL happen for Seattle last year is grossly in-accurate. Did the way he played help and did it make a significant contribution? Yes, of course it did. is that what made it ALL happen for Seattle? No, it is not.

IMHO, what made it all happen last year was that an organization that has done an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE job with personnel decisions over the past 2-3 seasons simply reaped the benefits of those personnel decisions. They are VERY well coached ( Carrol has done a great job ), they built a dominating defense VERY quickly, and the combo of Marshawn Lynch and a VERY good offensive line has given them one of the best running games in the league.

Well, pardon me for saying it, but the Cardinals either DO NOT or MAY NOT have any of that in place. Who knows good Arians and this staff will be? Who knows how good the defense will be with a new coordinator AND several veteran departures? And the O-line / running game? Well, last we saw, it was pretty bad and where have any tangible up-grades been made to this point???

So, please don’t point to a team that was FAR better equipped than we are at this point and say that all they needed was a good QB to make it all happen. I like Arians and, of course, I want him to succeed. And maybe there are just certain things coaches aren’t supposed to say. But I see nothing wrong with telling it like it is and I see nothing wrong with seeing a team as needing to re-build when that is a realistic assessment.

This team is re-building. When you were as bad as we were last year and have all of the needs we have, you are re-building. Where we are is NOT where the Seahawks were last year at this time, and I think everyone knows that. It is NOT a fair comparison, so don’t try to take me there.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Pointing

Tell you what: I’ll let you keep ranting on and on over and over as you do, and you can let me make the points I do. If you don’t want me to “take” you someplace, stop reading.

21. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

Darren – My sentiments were not directed at you. They are general thoughts, directed at no one in particular. Your points are always respected, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I enjoy the blog and appreciate the opportunity to “rant.” Maybe not everyone sees it that way, but isn’t ranting born out the natural passion of the fan? I think it is. If I didn’t care, then why would I bother?

Can I ask, do you disgree with my point of view that the Cardinals are NOT right now where the Seahawks were before Wilson came on board last year?

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

@Darren,

I may have misread it, but I think Scott H was ranting at Arians’ assessment of Russel Wilson, not at you.

@Scott H,

I thought pretty much the same thing you said after reading Arians’ quote. Granted, I don’t think there’s any question Wilson was one of the final pieces of the puzzle up there (as Tavaris Jackson proved) but the supporting cast he has seems to have been missed by Arians. Regardless, before we pass any kind of judgment on him, or question him any more than we already have, in fairness there is a lot of off-season left before any of it would be valid or accurate.

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Seahawks

I watched the Cards beat the Seahawks to start the year and I watched the Seahawks stay in the Packers game only because of their defense until the replacement refs gave them a gift. The Cards still should have a good defense and frankly, if you were told the Cards would get a Wilson-like year — right now — from some second-round QB, you would honestly say you don’t think this team could possibly be a factor?

24. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren -

Well, now, that is a very big IF, isn’t it? To answer your question, no, I don’t necessarily think this team could possibly be a factor this season simply with the addition of a Wilson-like QB. Because Wilson did not mask a bad or even average O-line in Seattle and he didn’t make Marshawn Lynch a better RB. To the contrary, I believe Wilson was the beneficiary of a VERY good O-line and one of the best RB’s in the league right now. Again, does any of that appear to be in place for the Cardinals right now? I don’t see it.

I HOPE the Cardinals ARE still going to be good on defense. But the coordiantor is new and has no track record of success to draw from. So, I think it is fair to have a wait and see attitude where the D is concerned.

And, yes, I saw the Cardinals beat the Seahawks to start the year. But I can’t help feeling more aware of where those teams were at the END of the year. And I also saw the Seahawks beat us by a score of 58-0 in between. By that time, what these teams were was MUCH more clearly established.

And as for the game against the Packers…I quote the great Muhammed Ali in saying ( respectfully ) that your eyes will see all that you allow them to see. Was it a bogus win for the Seahawls? Yeah, It was. Now, you tell me – how many teams have YOU seen contain and shut down Aaron Rdogers like the Seahawks did that night? You can say the refs blew the game and gave it to the Seahawks OR you can give the Seahawks D tremendous credit for how they played against maybe the best QB in the league right now for 60 minutes. Either way, you’re not wrong.

And, regardless, weren’t the Seahawks still on the verge of advancing to the NFC title game a couple of months later?

Bottom line, all I’m saying is that last year’s Seahawks were a much better platform for a Wilson-like QB to walk onto than this year’s Cardinals appear to be. So, no, I don’t think a Wilson-like QB achieves the same here.

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Seahawks

Fair enough.

But I don’t recall you or anyone else proclaiming the Seahawks’ greatness at this time last year or even going into the season.

26. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren -

Ditto on the fair enough response. Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter where the Seahawks were this time last year. All that matters is where they are now, and where they appear to be headed. Sigh…

Glad you’re still speaking to me!