One team isn’t realistic

Posted by Darren Urban on March 22, 2013 – 3:02 pm

Some quick tidbits as I try to sneak in a day off (because I just can’t leave you hanging):

– As painful as the decision to move on with Adrian Wilson was for the Cardinals, obviously the team was not alone. The perfect story is for the star player to come in and play his entire career with one franchise. Wilson wanted to do that with the Cardinals. You know Ed Reed and Brian Urlacher wanted to do the same and yet, Reed is now a Texan and Urlacher is looking for work unsure what options might come about. Wilson is now a Patriot. It just drives home what happens in the NFL. Those Ray Lewis storybook endings just aren’t realistic.

– In case you missed it yesterday, reserve center/guard Rich Ohrnberger signed a one-year contract with the Chargers to reunite with Ken Whisenhunt, who is San Diego’s offensive coordinator.

– Josh Weinfuss did a good piece on Honey Badger and how Patrick Peterson has taken Tyrann Mathieu under his wing as Mathieu tries to re-start his football career in the NFL. It’s been said a few times, but Peterson’s maturity at such a young age is amazing.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to “One team isn’t realistic”

1. By Steve on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren: Do you think Honey Badger, given his friendship with Peterson, has a chance to be selected by the Cards if he begins to fall in the later rounds? He is a helluva player.

2. By Corgon on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Both Wilson and Reed has a new team (playoff teams). So so keeping them in the same roster is just question of will.

The Adrian Wilson cut wasn’t smart or the right thing to do.
    And the Rhodes cut wasn’t either (If they don’t offer him a cut) and it doesn’t make any sense for me. Moreover with the Bell contract.
    But the other moves was nice. I like the Brinkley move the most! He with DWash will be a brick wall I think.

3. By a killer kr3w on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

um ed reed and urlacher were free agents, adrian wilson was just straight up cut from the team

4. By jeffy1951 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Sorry Darren you are wrong on this one. “Storybook endings” are ‘rare’ ‘uncommon’ and ‘unusual’ but not “unrealistic” – Ray Lewis was real and so was his ending – is it “unrealistic’ to hope that Fitz might have a ‘storybook’ ending??…..I hope not, I’ve been hoping that a storybook ending would be his for enduring the damper on his career that he’s been shackled with for a good portion of his career.

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Honey Badger

Don’t know how the organization sees him. Major red flags, of course.

6. By Darren Urban on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

a killer —

RE: Wilson

Um, I don’t see what the difference is, since both Reed and Urlacher wanted to stay. The point remains.

And why is it exactly you keep changing your screen name?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

jeffy —

RE: Storybook

Again, I stand by my point.

If Lewis had wanted to play another season, what are the odds the Ravens let him go like Reed?

8. By Coach Kevin on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger will be a 6th or 7th round pick, or may not be drafted at all. Too many higher rated players ahead of him in a very deep defensive back draft. So I think we sign him as a free agent.

9. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

You are so right Darren. Ray Lewis would have been Gone if he had tried to stay with the Ravens for 2013, and he knew it. Heck he got Lucky he didn’t get cut last year.

Yes, nice work by Josh Weinfuss on the HoneyBadger and PP, good story.
    Patrick Peterson….. Just keeps getting better, as an NFL Player and a Man.

GO CARDS!!!

10. By ored on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

maybe the truth is,lewis knew what would probably happen and chose to go out on top,good for him.i saw a picture recently of earl campbell,looked like he was using a walker,even with the rule changes recently,it’s still a game that takes its toll on the body. sounds like a five year retirement plan is about right,then move on and use that college education.

11. By georgiebird on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

You are absolutely right “one team isn’t realistic.” With salary caps and the bad economy, teams have no choice but to sever ties with guys who are on the downside.
    The Cardinals have been one of the more benevolent teams in the NFL- keeping players well beyond their useful years.
    It’s a new age , now, and the plethora of one year contracts is the wave of the future.
    If star players want to leave the game while still productive, then a one team career is possible. Today, guys want to play well into their 30s and, without drugs, it isn’t going to be pretty.
    In the past ten years or so, the only guy I can think of that left on top was Tiki Barber of the Giants. Barber did try to comeback when his TV career failed, but his NFL career was the only recipe nowadays for staying with one team.

12. By clssylssy on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

So, I guess you are saying that the fans should be prepared for the Cards to trade Fitz? You forgot to include Boldin in your example. And while storybook endings are rare, I don’t believe they are unrealistic…can’t imagine Brady with anybody but the Pats. Perhaps Wilson’s storybook ending will be getting signed by the Patriots and finishing his career with a ring after years of loyalty to a team that was sucking swamp water.
    That was an EXCELLENT article on Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu who, I would love to see in Cardinal Red but who I think will get grabbed up before we get around to it. I think that with Patrick’s help he has seen that a better life is possible through clean living and hard work and he will be grateful to wear the uniform wherever he goes.

13. By Rio on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Honey Badger, as soon as he is pick up or drafted by a team, he will run down to the nearest Payday office and get a cash advance and be high the same day.

Forget honey Badger less look for a guy with less talent that will work hard and give you all he can and stay away from drugs.

14. By red bird of death! on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Darren , I am very sad we lost THE BEAST MODE A DUB, just won’t be the same or a while.

15. By Jon M on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

That is a cool story about Peterson. All that is left is for Peterson to do less talking and more on the field, then his maturity to an NFL star will fully materialize.

16. By cardsalltheway on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

No Cribbs, Urlacher, or Honey!!! Being helpful during off-season is one thing, but side distractions in season, no thank you! Focus mostly on your own-self during the season.

17. By Eazy E on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

No excuse Darren, Adrian should still be a cardinal and should have retired as such.

18. By kevin on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Will be missing coach Whiz cause this new one is overrated for one. He is naming a QB worse than what we had and releasing Kolb huge mistake. Stanton he has never had a winning day, nor has Arians just look at his record and show me where he was successful I don’t count the Colts. If he would of named Hoyer as starting Qb I would buy that,

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Classy —

RE: Q/Brady

You are probably right on Brady but if he wants to keep playing past his usefulness, you don’t think Belichick will move on?

As for Q, that was a totally different situation.

20. By ndpenner on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

I say we don’t draft guys with stupid nicknames.

21. By Chuck 1 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

From NFL.com: Steelers Really Wanted Hoyer

Apparently a great move by Keim and BA.

22. By david on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Weed is not a drug. Watching patrick peterson return one to the house makes me feel high tho. So I say bring him in. Time to change the cards way of evaluating player. Not just with tyron but for every body. Tired of people saying .. same ol cardinals.

23. By vnk on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Off field issues aside, Tyrann could become explosive on the field. I have a gut feeling that Cincy Bengals will snap up Tyrann. Marvin Lewis has a demonstrated penchant for drafting players with a troubled past…

24. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

For those wondering if Larry will ever be traded or released;

Anyone who has seen anything I wrote about Larry knows I love him as a player. I believe , if he had better QBs, he would go down as the best WR of all time. Heck what would Larry do with Montana and Young? So, I am not lobbying for him to get traded.

But…….

Next year will be interesting. Larry has an 18 million dollar cap hit with 13 million of dead money. I would hate to see a trade, but if the cards cant get that contract adjusted, it will be tough to deal with.

But, in 2015, Larry’s cap number is 21,250,000. with only 8 million of dead money. That is way too high. So, either the cards will redo his contract or he will be released / traded in 2015.

Oh, this better be a good year for Larry because if it is not, he is in the drivers seat. cap hits of 18 and 21 million in ’14 and ’15 is going to be dealt with. If he has another really down year, he could refuse to redo his contract and force the cards into a move.

What a bad day to be a card fan that would be.

25. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

cssylssy and Darren,

Brady moving on:

Who would have ever thought Joe Montana would be shipped out. But I saw him in a Chief uniform.
    I believe Manning is wearing a Bronco uniform. Jerry Rice a raider? Emmitt a Cardinal? Farve a Jet and Viking? The list can go on.

As for Fitz being with another team, brace yourself and see my post above. Whoever Fitz;s agent is, he has really done well getting Larry contracts that force the cards into a hole. He is either due another big bonus by redoing his contract, going to get a huge payday in the open market if released, or get a huge payday with a team that trades for him. Good for his agent, good for fitz, but that could really suck for us.

26. By johnnybluenose on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

@ndpenner. let us hope we have learned from our mistake with “beanie”.

27. By johnnybluenose on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Darren. I think you are right. bill and tom will probably leave together

28. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Darren –

Hey, if players like Joe Momtana and Peyton Manning were not spared from this….then no one is safe.

My question – is anything happening with Cribbs??? This seems to be dragging out to notable extent at this point. Makes me wonder about where he is after the recent injury. And apparently, I’m not alone given your statements about there not being a big market for him.

29. By NYCardinals212 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

I think this relates to the conversation about the Tyrann Mathieu “red flags”.

It is an article written by “an anonymous NFL veteran” — NY Daily News 2010.

SUMMARY:
    Except for a few, predetermined weeks out of the year, NFL players can AND do use any recreational drug they desire — during the season and during games.

Do you know if the new CBA re-addressed recreational drug use (there were probably too many other things to worry about)?

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Cribbs schedule

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

NYCard–

RE: Rec drug use

Not that I know of.

32. By NJAZCardsFan on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

I still can’t believe BA is going to start a 2nd string QB for the Cards. What makes Stanton qualified. to be the starter??? He has never played even a full season? This has all of the makings of a disaster of epic proportions…… Just a replay of last year….. But worse…… The other teams in the NFC West have all improved…. I feel the Cards have only taken a step backwards this year.

33. By cardsalltheway on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

NJAZCardsFan,
    Alex Smith didn’t do much until he got a coach that knew how to use him. For A. Smith it was how the cards were dealt, now it’ll hopefully be the same for Drew Stanton with BA. It was obvious no QB could’ve worked for you know who, it will be fun checking up on the Chargers this year.

34. By a killer kr3w on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

I love it, 5-11 one season, 8-8 the next, and then right back to 5-11, justify the decision making of this franchise with whatever has to be posted, but so far us fans have been right. Arians said the QB is a top priority, so he brings in Stanton? Im not trying to bash on Stanton, but this is what got Whiz fired to begin with, so where is the justification there??? What about BA bringing in a back up and basically calling him the starter t is different then what Whiz did with D Anderson or Kolb? Not to mention Stanton has been in the league for years and hasnt played a whole season(just like u said yourself, if you have been in the NFL for a couple years,consistancy should show up by then). The seasons speak for themselves. until this team actually wins, us fans are the ones who are RIGHT.

35. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

cardsallthewat

Yes, time will tell in this case. But it started for me last year when the Jets beat the Cards and then they lost to the Seahawks 58-0. I have been a Cards fan since I was a little kid in the mid-60’s. For me being a Cards fan could be coming to an end after this season. I am tired of the BS in this organization. Look and see how many good QB;s have been passed over by this organization in the last few years. It seemed to me Whiz was the worst at chosing a QB…. and almost as bad as picking an OC. Going with a non-starter as a QB this year, is an insult to the Cardinal fans as they deserve better and deserve a better product. Getting rid of A-Dub and Rhodes did little to leave me with a positive feeling also. Then neither does a coach that begins his career as a Head Coach for a new organization selecting a QB that has never been a starter……Nothing has been currently done to address the OL either. These were the two biggest issues (QB & OL) the Whiz and his staff failed to address. To me personally, these two issues that needed to be addressed the most, have been ignored by this new staff aslo…. If this experiment fails expect BA to exit early in his term here…..

36. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Stanton;

I get people having no faith in Stanton. After all, he has done next to nothing in the NFL.

With the lions taking him in the second round in 2007, I guess you can say he is/was a bust. I mean, he started 4 games over his career.

Hoyer has been a backup and has one start in his career;. Last year for the cards. He wasnt even drafted in 2009, and served as a backup for NE. To be fair, how could you even get a real chance with a guy named Brady there. Released by NE, he then was released by Pittsburgh.

So, OK, it seems crazy to go with these two guys into the season. I have mixed feelings. I can’t believe Tyler Wilson, Geno Smith, Landry Jones can’t beat these guys out.

It will all be interesting. One thing I can say is neither guy has had a real chance to play.

Greatness comes when preparation meets opportunity. Question is, who will get that opportunity and will they be ready?

37. By johnnybluenose on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy. I enjoy your posts eventhough I often am not familiar with the non-cardinals you sometimes write about. but please tell that you know the correct spelling of green bay’s former quarterback and future hall of famer, brett favre.

38. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

johnnybluenose;

Sometimes I rush through my thoughts and missed something. Yes, indeed, it should be Favre.

Although, my computer has both Farve and Favre as incorrect. :)

39. By philly cards on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

i fear the future and im scared. i didnt even feel this bad when we had josh mckown going in one year. i have never felt so hopeless. maybe its the lack of adub and anquan and even buddy ryan over time ( god i miss him). i have nothing to rely on. we should have traded larry. why go thru all of this? now im dealing with stanton and a bunch of “nfc north rejects featuring the steelers” . ill go year by year with this team from here on. its been 17 confusing years at this point.

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

The bigger concern with Stanton and Hoyer is how it appears their previous teams saw them. Stanton was with the Jets, until they decided to replace him with Tebow. Which would show how comfortable they were with him as an option. Hoyer gets cut by NE after Mallett was promoted to back-up there, so it would seem as though he was never seriously considered to be Brady’s heir apparent. You and I have discussed, many times, the Kolb situation and while I get why we released him, as it stands now we’ve managed to downgrade the worst position on our team, which was already considered to be one of the worst in the league

It’s hard to imagine that anyone could have watched our offense over the past few seasons and think all it needed was a healthy Levi Brown (which is helpful, I don’t argue), Rashard Mendenhall and Drew Stanton to make it right again. No significant scheme change either. I can’t imagine how loudly the anti-Whisenhunt/Graves crowd would be right now if this would have been their solution to what is already the league’s 32nd ranked offense. For long-time fans, this looks all too familiar. The fact that everyone else in the division looks better, or at least as good, than they did last year just exaggerates the concern.

41. By Chuck 1 on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I have to smile (through clenched teeth) when I read all the posts that have kissed off this season because those “fools”, Keim, BA and Moore have not traded for Brady or P. Manning.
    Of course, you all know more than BA and Moore about QBs.
    And, you all know that Keim should have paid Long anything that his agent and he wanted.
    Will the Cards win the SB this season? Of course, not.
    Will they make the playoffs this season? Of course not.
    Anyone with half a brain knows that it will take a team that has as many holes on offense as the Cards do a couple of seasons to seriously challenge for the NFC West Championship.

7-9 this season.

42. By Dynosoar on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Not worried. Look at Alex Smith and what he did over the last one and a half seasons. If we protect whoever our QB is, even an average QB can be great. Just waiting with faith and patience to see how things play out (I know, I have many, many bad puns.)

Cards in NY next February!

43. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Bucky Brooks did a nice piece on comparing playing in the draft to former players. Although it isn’t exact, he does have some good points.

Tyler Wilson = Matt Hasselback.
    i really like this comparison. Both guys are leaders, hard nose gritty kind of players. Hasselback was drafted in the 6th round due to a perceived lack of talent and really played well and lead his team to the superbowl. I think drafting Tyler Wilson is getting this same kind of player.

Matt Barkley = Chad Pennington.
    What a great comparison. Tons of intangibles but lacks the NFL talent. Pennington is the alltime leader in passing %. If Barkley landed in the right spot and used his leadership and other intangibles, I could see him with that type of career.

Geno Smith = Sam Bradford.
    this was an interesting comparison. Both are pocket passers who can get the ball down the field and are athletic. Both need talent around them to shine.
    ( I like to compare Geno to Aaron Brooks )

Mike Glennon = Joe Flacco
    Both guys are big armed pocket passers. Flacco has been hounded by his inconsistent play. Many times people has said will the real Joe Flacco stand up. I do see the same out of Glennon.

My own personal comparisons on a couple more.

Landry Jones = Carson Palmer.
    Neither guy will be confused with Tim Tebow with their leadership qualities. But both can make every throw. Classic pocket passers, can pick a defense apart with a clean pocket and can make the throws down field. Both have issues when the pocket breaks down and can make questionable throws when it does.

Tyler Bray = Andrew Walter.
    Andrew had an unbelievable career at ASU but was marred with his inconsistent play. In the pros, he never found a way to stride if the pocket is pushed back. Preasure up the middle gave him no pocket to stride and he wasnt a good enough athlete to leave the pocket which lead him out of the NFL. I see the 6’6″ Tyler Bray going throught the same struggles as the 6’6″ Walter did. I dont know either guy, so I am only speculating , but I also think Walter was more mature than Bray coming into the NFL which isnt a good sign for Bray.

44. By Buck on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

NJAzCardsFan – You have made your mind up before anything has even started. BA has not said Stanton is the starter. He said if the QB room is the same opening day (ie if we do not get another QB by draft, trade, or FA) Stanton is the starter. Let’s wait until FA, trade and draft are over, see what we have, and then if you want to rant and rave, you can do so ( and hopefully give your support to another team).

45. By cardsalltheway on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1,
    You dig at some who “know more about QB’s than BA and Moore” then you tell us you know the outcome of the season already or that we “of course will not make the playoffs and predict a losing season.” Hmmm? Now, of course I don’t know but for fun I’ll predict a winning season(9-7) and if I were in Vegas I’d put down a little something on the Cards to win the Super Bowl, I’m sure I’d get good odds.
    Early 2014 Super Bowl XLVIII NFL Futures Odds
    For Next Season (Super Bowl 48)
    MetLife Stadium (Meadowlands), East Rutherford, NJ, 2/2/2014

Arizona Cardinals +$12,500 (125 to 1)