• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Cards sign special teams cog in Amaya

Posted by Darren Urban on March 27, 2013 – 10:57 am

Free agency might slow down, but it doesn’t really stop. Wednesday, the Cardinals signed former Dolphin safety Jonathon Amaya to a one-year contract. Amaya has made his way through three NFL seasons as a special teams player. Last season, he played 12 games for Miami, compiling seven special teams tackles. It was Amaya’s second stint in Miami, after signing there as an undrafted rookie in 2010. His claim to fame was that he — along with a draft choice — was traded to New Orleans in 2011 in exchange for running back Reggie Bush. He played for the Saints in 2011 before being cut by New Orleans following the 2012 preseason, when he went back to Miami in late September.

In his career, Amaya has appeared in 38 games and has recorded 31 special teams tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in addition to 10 tackles on defense. He played for new Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles when Bowles was in Miami.

The team needed another body in the secondary, but obviously, this doesn’t change a ton. The Cardinals are still expected to draft a safety at some point. The Cardinals also have to make sure they replenish a special teams unit that looks like it will not have Michael Adams and LaRod Stephens-Howling, among others.

AmayaShot2USEBLOG

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Cards sign special teams cog in Amaya”

1. By George on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Ok my cardinals I’m a cardinals fan for life lets keep it going …. Carson Palmer to the cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By Anthony Sherman on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Welp…. I guess I’m done!

3. By DuaneS on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

a whole lot of “little” signings that speak of a good master plan. I’m very pleased with the way we are doing it this year.

4. By D on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

front office will be busy during the upcoming year to determine how many of these one year rental players will be extended into the future….

5. By clssylssy on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Why don’t they just go back and pick up some of the talent they cut instead of finding warm bodies on the cheap? They would get a better quality product at possibly discounted prices! Just hope they get Carson Palmer before they decide to take another run at Kolb :( So far the Free Agency signings are lacking in “Wow” with everything riding on the draft.

6. By johnnybluenose on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

he still has to make the team but keim and company seem to be doing a good job of signing some good, young athletes….at least on the defensive side of the ball. I am anxiously awaiting the draft, like all of you.

7. By cards4sb on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

The draft is how great franchises are built. Ask Green Bay, New England and ugghh ( I really hate to say this ) San Francisco. We can throw the Steelers in there too. I at the moment trust Keim and the brass. I just hope Arians isn’t hanging his hat too much on his coach of the year award. This is a totally different situation and it also lacks the extra motivation the Colts had last year. Go Cards!! And when all is said and done I can’t wait to see their team on the field in preseason. Just to see what it is going to look like in September.

8. By Debeezy on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

@ clssylssy, they aren’t going to take another run at Kolb, i can put money on that.

9. By Rob R on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,

A lot of “experts” and fans have said they want Chance Warmack at No. 7. Weren’t there rumors that he scared a lot of teams off by his intelligence? I never heard anything else about it after the combine so was that just a rumor?

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Rob R –

RE: Chance

I don’t remember any rumors like that.

11. By shannon robinson on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren, I’m assuming the Anthony Sherman e-mail was a hoax. I think Mr. Sherman will make the final 53 – special teams always need one Wolf. Actually, this roster is complete right now until the draft. Mr. Keim with alot of help from Mr. Licht has done a masterful job of cleaning out dead money and reducing those active players who weren’t producing at pay grade. That was painful but necessary. In Arizona we’re not trying to find an elite QB – how about competant, just hit the open man! As an aside, the UNM Lobo Women’s Rugby Team that I coach just received our invite to the Division I Sweet Sixteen in Stanford – it’s our fourth trip, once to the Final Four.

12. By Scott Shipley on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Not sure if you read Sando’s blog on ESPN, but his story on this signing menitioned Amaya as the third FA signed who will primarily be on Special Teams, the other two being Alexander and Rashad Johnson. I had thought Johnson was Wilson’s replacement at starting safety. I asked him about it and this was the response:

“I don’t know how much Johnson is going to play on defense. Could be a lot. He will still be a primary special-teams player, I would think.”

Do you agree with this assessment, if so who would be our primary safeties?

13. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Scott Shipley –

RE: Johnson

Right now, I think they like Johnson a lot on defense. Keim especially. Can that change with who gets drafted? Yes. But even if you add a rookie, I could see Johnson starting over Bell.

Johnson will be on special teams but I will not be surprised if he is starting on defense.

14. By Dynosoar on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Scott Shipley,

Not questioning Sando, I honestly don’t know the answer to my question. What is his track record for accuracy in his statements/predictions? It would be interesting to see how accurate he is.

I’ll be watching Johnson this year, he did some great things on D last year.

15. By carlo milano on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    What do u think will happen with anthony sherman??they will explore a trade for him??

16. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Sherman

I have no idea right now.

17. By Eric G on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

We signed the second worst safety available? Sorry if I don’t get excited about that.

18. By Credit Card on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Obtaining second string players from bottom tier teams = disaster.

19. By ored on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

too bad we don’t have 14 or 15 picks this year if we need that many players to round out the team.guess there’s something to be said for stockpiling,but then again if there is “the one” that catches your attention then it’s worth it to give em up and make a deal:maybe next year.

20. By Mr Robles on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Darren do the Cards come outta the locker room to any specific song? the entrance

21. By nycardinals212 on Mar 27, 2013 | Reply

Scott Shipley,

It’s statements like that from Mike Sando that turned me off ESPN. Besides, I’m not a real numbers guy, and I just got tired of seeing, what I thought were, useless stat breakdowns all the time. It’s just my opinion, but I don’t find that blog to be worth my time anymore.

For what it’s worth.

22. By Desert Dry Sack on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Hay a bargain is not what need but a price we can’t resist.
    Hang with the Bird droppings.

23. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Heck, we wouldn’t need a safety if we hadn’t let go of our pro bowl ones.#Just Creating Needs #The Cardinals…

24. By D on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

10 players short including the draft and the undrafted players they will sign. Looking at the roster even taking probably a pass rusher in the draft, I would also go out and sign S .Phillips from SD on a 1 yr deal as a pass rusher…he is 32 but still gets double digit sacks…more than the existing two OLB’s on the roster…

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Mr Robles –

RE: song

Off the top of my head, I don’t know.

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@Eazy E,

Thumbs up for the Safety comment, don’t know what can be argued about it. We seem to be targeting our pass D quite a bit, considering it was the only area of respectability for us last year.

2. Mar 27, 2013: Arizona Cardinals Sign Safety Jonathon Amaya | Sports Breakthrough