Catch-up time for Keim for draft

Posted by Darren Urban on March 28, 2013 – 11:23 am

Last week at the owners meetings, GM Steve Keim was anxious to get them over with. He was going straight to the airport after the meetings closed on Wednesday and flying right to Georgia’s pro day among other destinations. Free agency was the topic still but that was about to morph. Soon. “We will jump into the draft mode because I feel I am significantly behind,” Keim said.

At his core, Keim is about evaluating talent. There are different ways someone rises to the job of general manager, and Keim got there from years of scouting and doing a good job of it. It makes sense he wouldn’t want to turn back on his roots. What will eventually be interesting is whether Keim’s influence on the Top 120 board for the draft changes much than it was when he was VP of player personnel under GM Rod Graves. The point of the Cardinals having draft meetings is for scouts and coaches — and further up the food chain, Keim — to discuss and debate what they think of each player and then come up with a final grade. That’s the number the group will use to set that board and in the end, draft their players.

Mocks will come out constantly in April. The latest Todd McShay version echoes the narrative the Cardinals’ direction has taken overall, which is that the team seems unlikely to take a quarterback first (and in McShay’s picks, Geno Smith — the one guy who seems to make sense as a top 10 pick, is already chosen by No. 7). McShay has Oklahoma tackle Lane Johnson going in the first round to the Cards and then the team taking N.C. State QB Mike Glennon in the second round. Good discussion fodder. Beyond that, who knows.

Keim, though, forges ahead in his work. Nothing is set in stone right now. For a guy who built an NFL career through the draft, it makes sense that he’ll want his team built that way too. I still think a QB is going to be taken somewhere, but that comes with a caveat — I truly believe Keim would be willing to pass on a QB if the right one isn’t there. The Drew Stanton-in-2013 thing isn’t a lock — too much can still happen — but it’s not a smokescreen either. In the meantime, the Cards will look carefully at offensive linemen in a draft filled with them, try to get a key cog in the first round regardless of position, and go from there.

And while Keim might have felt behind last week, something tells me he will catch up very quickly.

Tags: , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Catch-up time for Keim for draft”

1. By carlo milan italy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

darren
    did u watch some clips of glennon
    anyway it looks like skelton part 2.
    dont u think after those experiments is time to find one with touch and accuracy??

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Glennon v Skelton

Fair question. But don’t forget, new coaching staff, new wat to looking at it.

3. By D on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I would rather go with Stanton vs any QB they could take in the first 3 rounds. This is a rebuilding year, fill other needs on the team. This is a good draft for OL, DL and safety, load up in those areas.

4. By djjackson81 on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

OL surely but if they go by BPA I don’t see Lane Johnson grading higher then Chance Warmack. Even Fisher has me concerned of the lack of competition he played. I’m sure Joeckle and probably Fisher will be gone at 7 and if that leaves Johnson as next best tackle then pass and draft Warmack better BPA then Johnson.

5. By aaron on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Exactly. Stanton has as good of a chance of having success as any quarterback in the draft. I think early draft picks would be better served improving the line, pass rush and secondary than reaching on a quarterback.

6. By Mike on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m not the GM and I know my opinion is just that… but I sure hope the Cards wait til the 3rd to draft a QB. I hope we get a tackle or guard in rd1, then a safety or OLB/DE in rd 2. I’m confident that Glennon and/or Matt Scott would still be there in rd3. In other words, if I had a choice in the matter, I’d rather draft Scott in rd 3 than Glennon in rd2, since most mocks have Glennon as a 2nd rounder.
    While it’s known the safety position is deep, I’d rather snag a better one in rd2 and draft Scott than to draft Glennon In rd 2 and get a subpar safety in the 3rd rd.

Then again, we were blindsided by the Cards when they drafted Ryan Williams in the 2nd rd 2 yrs ago, so who knows what they’ll do.

Darren, on a lighter note, any suggestions for the best wings in the valley to enjoy as I watch the draft?

7. By Dynosoar on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I remember many who stated (over and over) that Max Hall was too short to be an NFL QB at 6’1”. Last night Barkley’s pro-day was analyzed (over and over) and they stated he was 6’0″.

If Max Hall was too short, why would we consider Barkley?

I’ll be interested to see if a new coaching staff can give Skelton the direction he needs to improve. That would be awesome. We’ve seen glimmers of greatness, would love to see that greatness emerge completely.

Looking forward to this next season and the team we finally bring to the field. In the meantime, I’m enjoying all the speculation, discusion and my own assessments. Only about five months more.

To NY next Feb!

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Mike —

RE: Best wings

While I love wings, I don’t know if I’m the connoisseur you’d want to ask. I’m a big fan of the Gold wings at Oregano’s, but that’s not exactly a draft-watching place. Native New Yorker has always worked for me, but if anyone else has suggestions, throw them out there.

9. By Boondock on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m with Urb, Oregano’s Italian gold wings are the best I have ever had hands down. But not a place to watch the draft. They do have a “Pick-Up” option, that’s what I am going to do. Snag a couple dozen wings, some beer, and sit around my TV with some buddies. I don’t like to be in public during the draft as some previous picks have led me to go on expletive riddled, shoe throwing tirades (a la Levi Brown).

10. By Eric G on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I would not be opposed to Johnson then Glennon if that played out. I just wish we’d also sign a guard during FA since that’s still a need. I just hope we draft well, especially a QB.

Otherwise its CARDS for us. Cr@p, another really despicable season. I’d be ok with Glennon or Palmer at QB, but not Stanton.

11. By jeffgollin on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Although it’s “smokescreen season”, all signs point to the Cards sticking to a modified Best Available Player approach. All well and good, but still difficult for fans to scope out because we don’t know what rge Cardinals’ board looks like (i.e. Do we like Warmack better than Cooper? Do we like Lane Johnson more than Fisher? Do we like Warmack more than Fisher? Do we like Dion Jordan more than anyone?

That said – If we keep the pick, I think we’ll wind up with the best available offensive lineman at #7, a pass rusher at #38 and QB Matt Scott with our next pick (If we’re really happy with our first two picks, I could see us trading up to secure Scott late in Round 2).

But it’s all a guess – we’ve got a new regime to get used to and parity from after the first 3-5 picks all the way into at least the earlly-mid 3rd round. Anything can happen. That’s what makes this draft so much fun to follow.

12. By johnnybluenose on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@Boondock. I’m almost certain that a couple of dozen wings will not nearly be enough…not even close.

13. By Safety Guy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Mike

Wolfley’s Neighborhood Grill at Desert Ridge has Awesome wings. And Im pretty sure the Draft will be on.

14. By sbrown on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

looking towards the Draft, lets fill out the roster with picks that will help fill holes. OL, DE, LB, FS big needs and this draft deep with these players. All we hear is BA works with young QB’s well we have four young QB’s on the roster, take these four to camp and let BA work his magic. BA also said no QB this season gave him the “wow”, so don’t waste a pick on a QB this season.

15. By Rio on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Wings so now we are talking about Wings, well i have some wings for you

How about the wings on Chance Warmack.

16. By Patrick Eagan on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

glennon is so much better than skelton. I heard nfl.com mention that glen non compares to Joe Flacco. I would love that on my team.

17. By carlo milan italy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@dynosaur
    I m not a barcckley fan but he was measured at combine,…he is 6’2”5/8 almost 6’3”.so dont say he is 6 foot

18. By Rico Suave on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Oh yea D. Stanton is gonna take us to the playoffs Coach Arians is for sure of that, and said we wont loose at home….well we do have one of the hardest divisions in the league right now, and by the looks of things we dont have a good enough QB that will take us close to the playoffs. Hate to see another season go down drain again, i feel bad for Fitz..

19. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Steve Keim wants One thing, for this Team to Win Now! He is just what Michael B. wanted, a Football Man.

This years NFL draft is starting to look like O-line and D-line men will get picked 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd overall, if Raiders don’t take Geno.

Everything is still so far up in the air that when it does come crashing down, it is going to be Very interesting to see where All the players will end up.

On The Draft-Day Food Note:
    As far as Wings go there okay, but Ribs is what I like. Fill the AKORN up with lump charcoal an cook about 20 lbs. of Baby Back Ribs the day before and of course some wings for the Wife. (She bought me the BBQ, so I better!)

48″ HD 1080p and the remote. Scream, Yell, Cheer, throw shoes, the whole Nine Yards.
    That’s what I like about Home.

GO CARDS!!!

20. By Brad Wheeler on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

What about Tyler Wilson in 2nd round? His highlights are full of completing tight throws and throwing under pressure, played against tough defenses, anyone else see potential with Wilson?

21. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

If the position that we can help the most in the first round is on the O-line, then do it. By all means. Let’s hope the O-lineman we drafted last year grew from their experience ( aka Baptism by fire ) last season and let’s add another horse to the stable this year. Because regardless of who our QB is going to be, he’s gonna need all the protection he can get against the defenses in this division. Can’t expect a young QB to grow when he’s running for his life and getting pummeled like our QB’s did last year.

Let’s build the foundation, then the house.

22. By Harry Boldin on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Carlo, I don/t know what film yoiu were watching, but I watched a lot of film on
    Mike Glennon as quarterback in actual games when he was with NC State.
    I thought he was particularly strong in the areas iou didn/t like: Strong, accurate down-field throws. His throwing mechanics, including his footwork were some of the best I’ve seen in a college quarterback. I think Glennon would be a great choice in either round 2 or round 3.

23. By iammattyoung on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I’m of the opinion that the Cards approach this draft/offseason with a nose for 2014, which I think they’re doing. First, SF and SEA are likely going to be very dominant. Yes, we’ve seen how badly signing lots of FAs can fail, but these teams both looked very good in the playoffs last season. Second, there is no long term QB solution currently available. No one on the roster, no one in free agency, no one in the draft. I think we should focus on the O-line with the first two picks this year (Warmack/Fisher/Johnson and Warford. I like the ring of that). That’ll give the line a full year to develop going into next year, when we can continue looking for a QB. The defense is going to have to re-adjust again with the new system, so focus on the future.

24. By Jason on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

It’s nice to see that someone is saying the Cards may NOT take a QB. I think the crop of QBs in the draft echos what we already have on the team. Unproven, untested young guys with a lot of holes and question marks in thier game. If Keim and Arians see someone with that specail something lurking beneath, then by all means I hope they take them. But over all, I beielive it is imperative that we address the Line. Put a solid QB behind a great line, we will win. Then, next year, if a star quality QB comes available, sign them and put a great QB behind a great line with a GREAT reciever like Fitz……look out NFL.

25. By Justin on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I am a OU alum thus a little biased but I have watched every game Lane Johnson played in college and can tell you there will be a learning curve there but he is a hard worker and is probably the most physically gifted OT in the draft so he wont be as good as Joeckel or fischer on day one but I think has the highest ceiling. I would love to see him in Cardinal red.

26. By Chris on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Zipps Golden wings are awesome, you can get them any temp but beware, their hot is hot

27. By Corgon on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe the 3rd ranked OT will be the 7th selection. I think Warmack will be higher on our draft board than LJohnson. BA said he need 1 man and he also said he’s confortable with Levi on the left. They will not choose LJ at the 6th place just because a LT would be nice.

28. By Corgon on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

7th place

29. By cardsfan30 on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

A little off topic but revenge of the birds posted a bit on cardinals giving back to the community. Within it had a tweet that I had sent to O’ Brien Schofield. Which he promptly responded to. I just wanna make everyone aware of how much it meant to my very ill 10 year old daughter that he went and visited her and other sick children. Its nice to know that he would take time out of his day to show up unannounced and do that for these poor kids. He’s a good person and I just wanna thank him and this organization for everything they contribute to our community statewide.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@Harry Boldin,

I’d like to know what games you watched Glennon play where he demonstrated what you’re talking about, because it wasn’t evident in the 15-minutes clips I watched against NC, FSU, or even Clemson. If it’s a picture perfect pocket, yes, he steps up and delivers well. Put so much as a defensive shadow in his way and tell me he doesn’t step away from, instead of into, everything he throws. For a guy with his skill set he looks painfully uncomfortable in deep drops. I won’t go quite as far as Carlo did in calling him Skelton, but there’s a lot more holes in his game than what you’re describing.

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

@Brad Wheeler,

I’m a little mixed on Wilson. Even when taking into account the disaster that surrounded their program last year, there were still some red flags. For example, when watching him against Ole Miss (picking them because the talent level between the teams was more comparable than say, Alabama) he threw into double coverage pretty consistently, and he really looks rushed in the pocket, even when there isn’t reason to be.

However, to his credit the talent level is there. Throws it on a frozen rope, stares down the barrel, and I haven’t seen a throw he isn’t capable of making. If we skip on Geno at #7, and it sounds like we’re going to, I’d be more comfortable with Wilson at #38 than the others likely to be available there. I could see a guy like Moore working very well with him.

32. By andystandsup on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

If the Cards don’t get a QB with the 38th pick (and going by the assumption that one won’t be picked in the first), I would think Skelton or Lindley would have a arm-wing up in competition versus a rookie QB drafted in the later rounds. They both have the physical qualities Arians prefers (guys with big wingspans), would cost about the same and have tape on their abilities. Strikes against them are their Whiz’s wingmen and their overwinging passes.
    That’s my current opinion – but I’m just winging it right now.

33. By ericylz on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

“At his core, Keim is about evaluating talent. There are different ways someone rises to the job of general manager, and Keim got there from years of scouting and doing a good job of it.” …. I love this!

34. By ericylz on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

I Love this!

35. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe,

I agree. Glennon is the guy everyone wants to love and say he is the guy. At times he looks the part. But even at the senior bowl practices, he was very inconsistent.

I think the Joe Flacco comparisons are fair (although I see Flacco as a better player coming out) . But Flacco almost became a FA because the Ravens just weren’t sure if he was their guy or not. If not for a great playoff run and superbowl win, he might not of had the leverage he did.

Flacco can not carry a team by himself like an Elway or Manning. Glennon is the same way. A guy who will be good enough for you to keep riding him but inconsistent enough to drive you crazy.

36. By John The Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

Brad Wheeler,

Yes, I like Tyler Wilson. He is a tough guy who will hang in the pocket and make the throws. He is a leader and will fight to win.

I like the comparison of Wilson with Matt Hasselback. I think their games are compariable.

37. By ored on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

sounds like ba is comfortable with levi and massie at tackle and he indicated maybe one o lineman before the draft and one in the draft.if that’s not a smoke screen then we probably go defense 1st and 2nd rounds.unless he sees someone promising at qb, i’d be ok with no qb in the draft this year,just set the table for who you really want next year.

if we get the o line and running game going,then a game manager this year would be ok.then next year go for it,read somewhere that seattle is banking heavily on this year and will have a difficult time next year with free agents and cap space.

38. By dreadfantasy on Mar 28, 2013 | Reply

In regards to new video in which Arians talks about Dockett and how we won’t be playing a 2 gap defense, which should allow him to be a “penetrating force”

That could mean we go back to a 4-3 or it could be what is explained in this article in regards to a 1 gap 3-4. (Yes its bleacher report but its actually good)

39. By Dynosoar on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

carlo milan italy,

If I’m mistaken it’s because I believed Mayock when he said Barckley is 6’0″ (unless I misheard him). I don’t know anything more than what Mayock stated. If he’s 6’2″, that’s taller for sure and it would throw my argument out the window. I’m fine with that.

Whoever ends up under center, I just want to see third down plays thrown or run for first downs and/or touchdowns and >60% accuracy. Nothing else matters to me in a QB. If they have those “tangibles”, unless they’re real jerks, they’ll have the team following them, all the way to NY next Feb.

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

@JTDG,

Have to disagree with your thoughts about Flacco, and say the only comparison I see between him and Glennon is generic, at best. Both are tall with strong arms, and that’s where it ends. Flacco has carried Baltimore through the past couple of seasons, and this past year had what was probably the best postseason of any QB we’ve seen dating back to Joe Montana in 1989. He’s just now starting to get the recognition he’s deserved, and I’d be surprised if he isn’t holding Lombardi’s trophy again in the near future.

41. By D on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Cards def line is the deepest it has been in 6 years…now they need to add one or two more OLB/passrushers along with a Safety in the draft and this defense should be solid.

Dockett Williams Campbell
    Talley Rucker Carter Shaughnessy

42. By Bill L on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Many, including Mayock, have said that in time Johnson may well prove to be the best of the 3 OTs………..but, no matter, he is a QUALITY LT, and should be taken at 7 if available.

2nd round QB in this draft is just about a waste of a pick……..for WHAT?……a BILLBOARD? If the Cards aren’t willing to MOVE back into the 1st for a QB, then he really can’t be the GUY or have much chance of being THE GUY. Kyle Long as a RT sounds a lot better to me.

As to Barkley, it seems people just love to Hate…….concensus is that he has great footwork, great accuracy, great anticipation, great leadership/presence, great work ethic, great understanding of the game………but, he only has Good arm strength, not Joe Flacco………something like Breese, Peyton, Montana…..NO SIR!!!! THEY want Jamarcus Russell Arm strength……..damn, isn’t he available……LOL!!

But on a more serious note……BA would have to adjust to him, NO MORE Whiz trying to shove a square peg into a round hole………Also Barkley needs a very good O arround him to get full value out of him…….if the Cards won’t fully commit to putting out a VERY GOOD O-Line and Running game…….it would be bad for the Cards and Barkley if they move back up to get him.

43. By Dustin d on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone seen Tyler Bray? The guy needs work on attitude and being a pro but he can fling it and is accurate. You can teach attitude but u can’t teach accuracy. Especially down field. Any thoughts anyone?

44. By Coach Kevin on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

This is how I see things falling in this draft:

1. Lane Johnson, OT
    2. Larry Warford, OG
    3. Tyler Bray, QB
    4. J.J. Wilcox, S
    5. Chase Thomas, OLB
    6. Zac Stacy, RB
    6b. Bruce Taylor, ILB

Note: If all three left tackles are taken, then the Cardinals take Ziggy Ansah in round one and take another offensive tackle in round five. Reid Fragel would be a good fit in round 5.

45. By Eazy E on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

I hope we get Geno or Fisher or Warmack. I think Geno or Tebow should be our only QB choices because we can’t be serious with Stanton, Hoyer, Lindley and Skelton. Fisher or Warmack would be my next choice which ever one is there at #7 if Geno is gone which btw also, we should look into moving up for him.

46. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

@Dustin d,

What makes you think you can teach attitude and not accuracy? I think most coaches would say give me the guy with the good attitude and physical flaws over the guy who can’t be coached (i.e. – JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, etc.).

A couple of things I will grant you. If accuracy is a major problem, by the time it gets to this level, it can be very difficult to fix and Bray, as you mentioned, is talented. However, I’m hard pressed to come up with a legit #1 QB, (save Jay Cutler), who, from outside appearances, lacks as a leader and isn’t very coachable. If we’re going to take a QB, in spite of it not being a great class, I think there are better options available than Bray.

47. By Jason Cabrera on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Eazy E –

Move up for Geno?! Neeeeever gonna happen. The fact that you want Tebow shows you don’t know much about Quarterbacks. Tebow is not even CLOSE to what we need. Looking for a big arm, not big hype.

48. By Coach Kevin on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

The rumors about Bray are pure nonsense. He had oe of the highest scores by scouts at the combine. This only proves that American’s watch way too much television and are the most manipulated people in the world. My suggestion, turn off the TV and grab a book.

49. By ored on Mar 31, 2013 | Reply

landry jones has a huge arm and no off field problems,but he has a downside in decision making,could ba fix or work with that,who knows right now,but we’ll probably know his thoughts better on draft day.thing is all the qbs this year have big question marks in some area,can the coaches get throught to them-will the light come on?if yes,then more than one has the physical tools,but can they assimilate the speed and complexity of the pro game?