• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

No camp announcement yet, but Flagstaff out

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2013 – 1:14 pm

The Cardinals have yet to announce where they will be holding training camp later this summer, but Flagstaff is no longer an option after Northern Arizona University has decided to move on from negotiations. The Arizona Daily Sun reported NAU president John Haeger rejected a one-year concept for the team to train there in 2013 and the school also rescinded an offer for a three-year contract.

Glendale remains an option and it would seem the leading option, but no site has been finalized yet. The Cardinals released their offseason dates Thursday, but that doesn’t include the training camp work. Camp dates aren’t usually released until late June.

FlaggoneblogUSE

Tags:

30 Responses to “No camp announcement yet, but Flagstaff out”

1. By CardsChick on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Not that our players were the most in-shape of the league anyway, but losing the opportunity to train at 7,000 feet with all of the benefits of high altitude training is a bummer.

2. By D on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I’ll miss Flagstaff. I am guessing Cards were planning on changing out the field before the season at the stadium if they have camp there..

3. By Justin on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

It is an absolute shame that the Cardinals and Flagstaff could not reach an agreement. Training camp will not be the same for the fans. Although moving camp closer to the valley will probably draw larger crowds, I am personally contemplating boycotting. Driving up the hill for the entire camp experience was one of the (very) few great traditions Cards fans could experience.

4. By Travis on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Terrible, I heard that on the way to work this morning. Flagstaff is a great place for camp. Altitude, climate, fewer distractions for the players… what a waste. I thought we were the Arizona Cardinals. Might as well just go back to the Phoenix name then. How do you expect to run 90 guys around in 110 degree heat and one field?! Kim Jong Um calling the shots?

5. By bigal on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Tradition is nice, but if the move results in more wins then flagstaff will be all but forgotten. I made the annual spring trek north too, but way too much training time is lost going up and down the hill for rehab, exams, and so forth. Know who transfered from a idyllic setting to their game facilities last year? The super bowl champion ravens. Winning is the onl y tradition I care aboit.

6. By clssylssy on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

The Cards drew this out for so long it’s no wonder that Flagstaff decided to move on. No accident,but,a not so slick manipulation to move training camp somewhere more lucrative for the organization. The players looked forward to being able to get away from it all and train in a resort-like mountain atmosphere away from the traffic, the heat, and the craziness of the rat race in the valley. Training in a higher elevation was a better work-out and, after all, this is SUPPOSE to be training camp rather than a large commercial media event and fan fair. After seeing the teams we will be playing at home, I have a feeling this team is going to need every benefit and edge they can finnagle to squeek out the number of wins we had last season, that is assuming we can win two or three on the road. Once again, the Cards weren’t paying attention and lost out!

7. By Dynosoar on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Awesome photo.

8. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Travis –

RE: Heat

I’m not sure where this concern for the heat is coming from. Any camp in the Valley would be indoors.

9. By Harry Boldin on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I am really sorry to learn that the Cards will not be having their training camp in Flagstaff this year. I have been to every training camp since the Cards came to Arizona. Even when I lived in Douglas, I made the trek each year to Flagstaff for training camp. I even went to the camp the year it was held in Prescott. I am now 78 years old, and I don’t like to drive around in Phoenix anymore. So, I imagine that I have been to my last camp. I thoroughly appreciated the friendly environment of the camps in Flagstaff, and I believe most of the people who came from the Valley or elsewhere felt the same. I’ll still be a Cards fan, but I’m afraid it will be as long-distance one from here on out.

Go Cards!!

Harry Boldin, Clarkdale

10. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Clssy –

RE: Flagstaff

Resort? Don’t get me wrong, there were definite advantages of Flagstaff, but I’d be willing to bet the players won’t miss dorm rooms.

11. By Ezz on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Hey, let’s change the stadium too. Hell, let’s change cities. Let’s change the team’s name, the team’s color. Actually scratch that, let’s change sports. Water Polo. That’s what the Cardinals should do from now on, water polo.

12. By AzDesertRat1953 on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I for one, of Many Fans, could not go up the Hill, because it cost to much for the average fan to do that. I am hoping that they put the bubble up in Glendale or Chandler so for once the rest of us can have a chance to watch the action.

Sorry for your loss Flagstaff

GO CARDS!!!.

13. By kevin on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I am sure Prescott would be glad to host. Embry Riddle hosted about 10 years ago and they have fully renovated their campus.. I am sure Prescott would love the opportunity to host the Cardinals. We are a mile high like Denver and closer than Flagstaff. Come on Cardinals come on over to Prescott!!

14. By Ron on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I think its crap they wont train in Flagstaff, particularly since Bidwell will own new “tent” near stadium. GIve me a break, who wants to go see them train in a tent in Glendale.

15. By ored on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

all i can say,it’s a poor move from the fans perspective,one of the few popular points to being a card fan and a refreshing way to see the players is now gone.

16. By david on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Who cares where they have offseason drills , as long as we win.they can practice out of state for all I care.

17. By clssylssy on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Darren…You should check out the player comments about liking to train in Flagstaff on Twitter. In comparison to the hot, dusty desert of Glendale, Flagstaff is scenic, quiet and away from the rude drivers in a hurry to go nowhere in the valley. Dorm rooms aren’t the worse thing in the world, it’s kinda like going back to college minus the keggers! Just saying….this is suppose to be a learning experience for the team and the priority should be on training and bonding as a unit instead of creating a marketing opportunity for the franchise. You’d be surprised how many people actually go on vacations where they live ini cabins more rustic than dorm rooms just for the tranquility and peace so that they can focus better and be more productive. Doesn’t seem like such a bad thing to me?

18. By Melissa Montoya on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

What a shame. It was nice to go to Flagstaff with my husband and watch the Cardinals up close and personal. Booooooooooooo

19. By Leeskicitizen on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

It takes two to make a deal. As it’s been mentioned, the sleeping accommodations made available for 6″ plus professional athletes were never addressed by NAU, and that factor alone affects the quality of the overall training environment for players who leave everything on the field during practice. Ask pro players if they have anything less than a king sized bed in their residence, let alone a 10×10 bedroom.

It’s also been mentioned that superior training facilities, medical facilities, and other support accommodations are available here in the valley, premier benefits to the players. Even though the team will also benefit financially by this move with a willing partner in the City of Glendale, I think Mike Bidwill has matured enough as a team owner and is actually placing the well being of the players as a top priority, just like the Ravens did last year.

In balance, I agree that it was nice to be able to make the long trip to a resort location like Flagstaff, a trip that the overwhelming majority of the fans were unable to make (average people with day jobs), the potential of a nice facility here in the center of the State of Arizona, if nicely done (with FREE PARKING!) will benefit the majority.

20. By Timmy on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Clssylssy
    I swear are you even a fan. Everyday I read your comments about how much you think that this team is screwing up. Do you even like the Cards. (maybe your a Niners or Hawks fan checking out the competition) You seriously have the most annoying comments on these posts. I think all the thumbs down prove that. Could you maybe find one positive thing to say. Otherwise quit posting comments, nobody wants to hear it.

21. By andystandsup on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

One of the biggest advocates of Flagstaff camp on here.
    Not just the views, cooler temps and accessibility for fans, but the perceived cohesiveness that teams learn when thrown into supposed conflicting situations, like partnering into small bedded dorm rooms with inadequate weight rooms and little nightlife possibilities.
    I imagine there is bitterness in both parties mouths and I hope a return is possible if the Glendale site doesn’t come to fruition – though I realize I’m living a pipe dream.

Change is tough.
    But it was a good run, though, wasn’t it?

22. By G Witt on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I’m sorry for the loss of revenue for the Flagstaff area, but I’m happy to see the Cards stay in the valley.

23. By Fatdog on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

I saw the Clemson Florida game tape on EJ Manuel and WOW I hope he is there in the 2nd round.

24. By david on Mar 29, 2013 | Reply

Darren

On the phone app can you change the pic of Larry to someone else? Change it up

25. By Andy Kw on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

This is what this team should do to address the QB situation:
    -Go after Carson Palmer and sign him to a 2yr deal worth $8 million. ]
    -Draft QB EJ Manuel in the 2nd Round since his strength would do well in Arian’s vertical style offense.
    -EJ Manuel will be our backup Quarterback while QB Drew Stanton and Carson Palmer will duke it out in preseason for the starting role for the 2013 season.
    -If EJ Manuel performs better than both in the preseason, name him starter.
    -Whoever does better in the Palmer vs. Stanton battle will be the backup
    -Brian Hoyer, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley will battle for the 3rd string QB role.

26. By NYCardinals on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Timmy,

Since this has been on my mind for the last 26 years, I’m just gonna go ahead and say it: The vast majority of Arizona Cardinals fans really like to complain about anything and everything. That includes my family and friends — they whine and moan about everything related to the Cardinals. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

That is their right, but it seems like a waste of time, to me.

27. By Timmy on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

NYCardinals,

I couldn’t agree more. There are plenty of things I disagree with. I’m just saying does it always have to be something bad, can’t there be a few positive comments. If it wasn’t so one sided I’d have no problem with it. It just gets old after awhile. Oh well. Love where it looks like things are going, but we’ll know for sure once they start playing. I definately think this team is headed the right direction, wonder how long it will take to get there.

28. By ored on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

wow,so not everyone is enamored with flagg.since we’re gonna get change,at least do it up right in a fan friendly way.local atmosphere,low cost,and convenient would be nice,this does’nt have to be a money maker,think of it as a long term investment in the fan base,a good will gesture on ownerships’ part to involve the community,also make an effort to keep local players here,hmm,maybe scott as a later round qb pick.

29. By Dre on Mar 30, 2013 | Reply

Greed they just want the money. If the rooms were to small rent a resort and just bus them in and out the raiders do that.

30. By Scott on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Sierra Vista is the place to be, has the 1 mile high altitude – same reason the All Army Boxing team calls it home.