Skelton cut by Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on April 1, 2013 – 3:14 pm

There is nothing new on the burgeoning Carson Palmer trade front at the moment, but it seems a lock to be completed at some point after the Cardinals officially released quarterback John Skelton Monday. So ends Skelton’s wild ride since arriving as a fifth-round rookie in 2010, getting a couple of starts in that year and then having an amazing way of playing poorly yet rallying the Cards to wins in 2011. Then he beat out Kevin Kolb to start the 2012 season before spraining an ankle in the opener, struggling mightily as the starter after Kolb got hurt. Clearly the relationship between he and former coach Ken Whisenhunt wasn’t good at the end, but even a coaching change couldn’t save Skelton’s roster spot.

Skelton tweeted out his goodbye:

The release wasn’t a big surprise after the team signed Drew Stanton, brought Brian Hoyer back and now are close to getting Palmer. All along it looked unlikely that Skelton would survive into May on the roster if this didn’t come sooner. Now it has. Not that it would’ve helped him, but recalling how Bruce Arians lamented the inability to talk to Kolb while watching video — to ask why and why not of certain plays — maybe Skelton lost out too. Then again, Skelton’s troubles were seen first-hand by general manager Steve Keim. Keim had a good sense of what he had in both Kolb and Skelton, and Skelton ended up — even with an 8-9 starting record — with 12 touchdown passes, 22 interceptions and a 61.9 passer rating in 17 starts.

– The Cardinals also announced that tendered free agents William Powell, Hoyer and Ronald Talley officially signed their contracts. The Hoyer and Talley news had already been out there.

SkeltonCutBLOG

Tags: , , , ,

96 Responses to “Skelton cut by Cardinals”

1. By joe67 on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I sure am sorry he didn’t get a chance with BA. I hope he goes somewhere and becomes a starter. Seems like a nice guy with a lot of potential. Not blaming anyone, just hope he gets a shot somewhere.

2. By lg on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

i hate too see him go but for carson palmer we got too.

3. By Latoya on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Darren do you see this as Kolb (Palmer) vs. Skelton (Stanton) version 2.0?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Latoya —

RE: 2.0

Maybe in 2011, when Kolb arrived as the unquestioned starter.

5. By G Witt on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Sorry to hear about JS leaving he was a nice guy, maybe he’ll find another team. But for the time he was here, he really wasn’t a starting qb.

6. By Dave on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

This is great news meaning that the Carson Palmer trade must be imminent for this to be happening today. I saw a great article today showing the numbers for Carson Palmer last year vs. Joe Flacco’s numbers and they were nearly identical.

Good Numbers don’t always make a winning quarterback, but Flacco was surrounded by far superior talent like Anquan Boldin and still had worse numbers than Palmer in Oakland. I like this trade alot. What QB could we get this year for potentially a 6th round pick.

So far I really like the overhaul that Keim and Arians have done. The only thing I’m a little concerned about is maintaining a top notch defense with all of the changes that they’ve made.

– Excited Cardinals Fan

7. By cards4sb on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Here we go! Is Palmer the 2013 answer? Who knows? This is beginning to be a fun and wild ride to training camp.

8. By adamant on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Skelton cut, making room for Palmer. Darren correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Kurt Warner say he liked Palmer and if he was GM he would have went after Carson instead of Kolb during the free agency period 3 yrs. ago?

So, how much do you think Palmer benefits the Cards? Or is he just a one year scab until we can go after a FRANCHISE QB in next years draft?

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

adamant —

RE: Palmer

I have no idea what Warner said about Palmer. His length of stay, methinks, will be directly related to his play. But the Cards will still be searching for a long-term answer.

10. By oliver on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I think he put Arizona through so much at 4-0 and he got us to 4-6 ad after that we only won one game. It’s crazy, he should not even be on a nfl roster maybe he could become a 3rd string qb. I other words he sucks

11. By tbru on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

So if we trade for Palmer and not wait for him to be released, do we have to pay his roster bonus?

Good luck John Skelton

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

trbu —

RE: Palmer

There is no roster bonus.

13. By Corgon on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Good luck for John! Liked him. I hope he’ll find a team whit a good QB coach.
    ED’s slip against Cincy, the Lindley call against ATL, Feely’s missed kick against the Bills, the Packers drops…..inches and the whole thing would be better

14. By Rio on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

John Skelton don’t let the door hit you in the a****** on your way out.

Glad to see Powell back, so much better than Bennie fall down easy Wells.

15. By Sackman on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

This is what I thought was going to happen 2 months ago. Lets hope it happens, and for pete sake name him the starter from day 1. No more competition.

John Skelton you had your chance, you can’t blame anyone else but yourself. Good luck and we wish you well!!!

16. By sarah on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

He came in as a Whiz project and was not projected to play in 2010. I think he got thrown in too early but survived on instinct and an uncanny ability to change gears in the fourth quarter. Even the Green Bay 2012 game if the defence had not been so bad in the fourth he would have pulled it out. Line issues, accuracy at times and zero running game did not help him this year. He picked off where Kolb left off in Buffalo ( he put the team in a position to win but Feely muffed a 38 yarder ).

The reality is that once Fitz was doubled the team was not that good, great defence but mediocre offence. Be interesting to see if Palmer improves. Wish Skelton the best and that he finds another team, he went from hero to zero and Whiz was not helping him in the end, rather he threw him under the bus.

Memory sake :

17. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Dave –

Well, funny how while Palmer and Flacco’s numbers were nearly identical, the overall perofrmance of the teams they played for was not. The point being that Palmer doesn’t make a bad team instantly better just by showing up. And last we saw, the Cardinals were a pretty bad team, as evidenced by the fact that they won only one game more than the last team that Palmer played for.

As of this moment, it is hard for me to see where we have measurably improved, and that means, specifically, the O-line and the running game. I know, the season hasn’t started, we haven’t won / lost any games yet, etc. But IF we really have not improved MEASURABLY in these areas, then I don’t see Carson Palmer making this team any better. And I would advise against anyone expecting any different.

The Cardinals have not had a GOOD O-line or running game for years. Where do people see where the improvements have been made? Granted, the draft is yet to come. But does our track record of drafting at these positions justify optimism that things are about to change? Sure, I hope they WILL, but…this organization has not made hoping an easy thing to do.

18. By clssylssy on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Not surprised at this really except that Lindley is MUCH worse and at least John has the arm and physical attributes, is more durable, has many intangibles. He showed promise when the money man went down in 2011 but fans want the high dollar player to play regardless of whether or not he’s the best fit. I don’t really think John got much in the way of development from the Cards and was hoping he would have the opportunity to work with our new QB guru to give the Cards a little more depth. As in any other business there is “office politics”, Skelton is another casualty of the Whisenhunt/Horton/Graves political regime and will probably have a better chance for a career with a different franchise. I think he is a very likeable young man with a hunger to play and wish him good luck Lindley should be the next guy “set free” (sounds so much more positive and less harsh than ‘cut’) and with a draft pick we will have our four!
    As far as Kurt Warner “liking” Carson Palmer?…Kurt likes everybody…lol, which isn’t saying anything really. Some players just aren’t a good fit with some teams but all NFL players have to be pretty darn good even to get to the professional level and take a snap much less last years. We will see how he works out soon enough and it may be that our fans will make the Raiders look like teddy bears after he starts throwing interceptions!

19. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Even after it became pretty apparent that Skelton is ( probably ) not a starting QB in the NFL, I can’t help liking the kid. I really thought he had something and we were gonna see it at some point. Ddin’t happen, and he doesn’t fit here anymore. I hope he gets a chance to play somewhere else and when he does, I’ll still be rooting for him.

And as much as I like Kevin Kolb as a person and for his character, I will NOT be rooting for him. Because after the hopes I had for him coming here, I CANNOT bear the thought of him having the success somewhere else that he was supposed to have with the Cardinals! THAT would suck more than anything has ever sucked before. Fortuantely for me, his track record and the fact that he’s now in Buffalo work in my favor.

20. By Patrick Eagan on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I think skelton was very bad. no surprise here. I think Kolb has so much more potential.

21. By Azcardsguy123 on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Everyone, This was going to happen i could even see them later releasing Lindley so that they dont have to many QB’s and not enough other positions I would say AZ should maybe consider talks with the dolphins for Moore

22. By john skelton on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Im happy thecard might get the palmer and released kolb

23. By Laird on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

L agree w/ adamant. Should have gone after Palmer before! The main concern is and has been to SUPER ENERGISE that O- LINE in this draft to keep our Q.B. up right and not having to run for his life! I’m beginning to believe things are finaly gonna get turned in a positive direction!!!!!!! Let’s kick it up a notch! BAM!!!

24. By andystandsup on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Hey, I’ll give Skelton props for standing in the pocket,willing to take hits, which behind the porous he did- just a few times.
    He’ll be a backup somewhere.

25. By red2616 on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Skelton could have been a great QB and a full time starter here in Phx if he had stayed as the Starter his Rookie season. He did great at the beginning but then Whiz pulled him to help him “Develop”. He is big, strong and an accurate QB. Just needed a better line and left to play. I still never got the training wheels Whiz had on him? Other than in camp, he never was able to run the offense like a QB. Good luck and the best to you Skelton! If you get a chance, you will be a solid QB. Go get behind Payton Manning in Denver. He will maybe finish the season and won’t be back next year. It will be great timing!

26. By cardsalltheway on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

John Skelton got shafted from the onset when he went ignored in favor of Max Moxy Hall despite this…”Skelton’s first NFL game experience was a 2010 preseason game against the Houston Texans where he led the Cardinals to two touchdown drives in two possessions as Arizona rallied for a victory. He completed five passes out of six attempts for 84 yards and achieved a perfect passer rating of 158.3.”

If Max Moxy Hall had done what John Skelton did in that game then coaches and fans alike would’ve gone Goo Goo Ga Ga!

27. By red2616 on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Palmer, Come to Papa!!! This is the guy I wanted instead of Kolb. Palmer or Cutler where on my list. Kolb would not have QB’d my pop warner team. Palmer is a solid QB. Good arm, great at reading defenses and is accurate. All the negative about him are the exact things they said about Warner and look how that ended. Kolb is a waste of skin little lone an NFL QB. Palmer, bring your 4,000+ yards to AZ and bring back your deep ball. You have a new 3 Amigos to throw to in Fitzy, Roberts, and Floyd. Lets open these guys up and get this team back to where it should be!

When Kolb signed his contract you could hear Kolb say “suckeerrrrrsss” under his breath.

28. By Credit Card on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Raw stats always get a team in trouble. Many of Oakland’s games were decided by half time. As a result, many of Palmer’s yards was against teams playing prevent. He racked up yardage when it didn’t matter. Don’t be fooled Cards fans, there is a reason beyond money as to why Oakland wants to wash their hands of Palmer.

As for Skelton, see what a non-running game, poor OL, and predictable play calling will get you … released. Sounds like the Cards were trying to work out a trade … and nothing, so they decided to cut bait. Hard to beleive Skelton was worse than Lindley.

29. By clssylssy on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Sarah, that was great!

30. By dieselbomb on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I had hopes for Skelton. I don’t think he panned-out because of the poor head-coach he suffered with and the lousy Whiz system. I think the incredibly poor Whiz system smoked-out the durability issues Kolb is now known for, but I also think Kolb’s poor performance was a result of the outrageous adjustment expected of Kolb. I’m wondering out loud if Kolb was told one thing, but once he was on the practice field with the team did he only then discover that the Whiz-Grimm leadership left-out a number of necessary details to give Kolb a fighting chance. Back to Skelton, I figured three seasons would be more than adequate to flesh-out whether he is/was capable. But I have to remind myself – Skelton was “managed” by Whiz and Company … NO WAY did Skelton get a fair shake. Less than 60% completion rate, way more Interceptions than Touches, Wild misses from time-to-time I’m thinking a fresh start with a team that really can use his potential is best for the Cardinals and Skelton. I like him, though; and I’m really hopeful he finds a squared-away team who can point him in the right direction.

31. By Dobie on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

What all you arm chair quarterbacks are forgetting that you need a good offensive line if Kurt Warner had the same line he be on is butt all day long and they did have a few guys hurt in those positions hope they fix that

32. By Chuck 1 on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

He should have never been drafted.
    Another example of Graves’ and Whiz’s poor player decisions.

Maybe Whiz will convince McCoy to pick him up. LMAO

33. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Palmer is horrible. Has no ability to escape the pass rush. We have no offensive line. BA wants to throw down field. Can’t throw down field if you are on your back. But if we can get the line fixed it may work. Palmer has a shitty attitude when things go wrong. So all I can see him being is a cancer. Just my opinion. I hope I’m wrong but from what I saw in Cincinnati and I live here in the Bay Area so I’ve seen plenty of him in Oakland. Piss poor attitude. I hope it changes if he comes to the dessert.

34. By cardsalltheway on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

“Skelton’s troubles were seen first-hand by general manager Steve Keim”

I wonder what “trouble” Keim saw in Skelton compared to Max Moxy Hall?

“…even with an 8-9 starting record — with 12 touchdown passes, 22 interceptions and a 61.9 passer rating in 17 starts.”

With a pisspoor OL I might add, oh now I get what you mean by “trouble” besides coaching.

8 wins are more than Lindley, Hoyer, and Drew Stanton have between them all. John Skelton has more NFL Gameday/Sunday starting experience than Lindley(set most passes without TD record on Dec. 22nd 2012), Hoyer(has NEVER started an NFL game on gameday Sunday), and Drew Stanton put together.

I sure hope Carson Palmer doesn’t get hurt. Are our QB “experts” really experts?

Career starts:
    D. Stanton – 4 – signed 3 yr. $8 million contract in 2013
    B. Hoyer – 0 – signed 1 yr. $2 million contract in 2013
    R. Lindley – 4 – signed 4 yr. $ 2.1 million contract in 2012

35. By ted on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I hope palmer could be better than skelton and kolb

36. By mike on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Az should be happy cuz they know what kind of QB their getting in Palmer. Being a Raider fan, once again we don’t know what to expect for the Umpteenth year.

37. By CardCore on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Skelton should be happy the Cards released him before Lindley, giving him extra time to maybe find a new spot, because Lindley will likely be going away after the draft.
    It’s a shame Whisenhunt had to throw Skelton into the fire in his rookie season because the IDIOTIC DOA/ Max Hall experiment could not float. DOA = Derek Anderson/Dead on arrival)
    Skelton is from a smaller college and needed plenty of time to develop, NOT be
    thrust into action in his rookie year after getting SO much attention from the Cardinals magnificent guru QB coach.

John? BEST of luck to you pal, I really hope you get picked up soon and by a good team. I think you would make an outstanding backup for the Steelers personally.

38. By ored on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

i rooted for skelton also,it was the underdog thing,but my last vision of him overthrowing by at least ten ft.a wide open reciever for what would’ve been a huge gain if not a td before getting yanked by whiz,well that convinced me he was’nt the answer,neither was whiz and all his desperate attempts.our offense just continually went downhill,props to larry for keeping it together,look back at the lack of planning,no o line,no qb backup plan,poor play calling time after time,no running game,we could’nt even execute screen passes,from the coaches on down it was horrendous,instead of overcoming setbacks,injuries,etc.we just got worse..except the defense…that,we hung our hat on and to their credit they endured…hat’s off to you guys,horton included.maybe next chance whiz gets he will have learned…a lot.if it was’nt for kurt and then horton we could’ve been the worst ever,and it eas’nt like he had a plan then,he got lucky,first a rising of a hall of fame qb,then awesome channeling of leboue (spell)defense through a brilliant understudy and rising star in coaching.

from whiz’s methodical masterplan of steeler organization and now to ba’s not so regimented thinking,he reminds me a little of walsh(THAT’S A GOOD THING),he also has pittsburgh experience but keeps an open mind
    ,wants to play rookies,surrounds himself with lots of good coaches,and has an eye for good qb’s.

now he has a nfl starter,the draft ahead,and 3 months or so to mold it into more than we’ve had in years.nobody can say ba has’nt had the chance to build it his way,from the colts last year to the cards this year,just hope we go the same way,i will be happy with fitz back to form,a running game,and a qb still standing after the play,throw in the defense staying strong(means you DD,all your talk,now put up)and legit shot at the play offs,play offs,did you say play offs,lol,i will be ecstatic along with all card fans everywhere.here’s to an excellent draft and an exciting season.

39. By cobra on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Sarah,

re: Skelton,

So sorry for your loss. We all know what he meant to you. Just kidding really but time to move on!

40. By Jerrytown on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Scott,

The reason the Cards were a bad team last year is simply because of poor quarterback play and the lack of a solid rushing attack. The two go hand in hand, you’ll never have one without decent play from the other. The addition of Carson Palmer, while a short term solution, DOES make us significantly better in and of itself. Quarterback is the most important position in football, and no team could win with the play from our group last year. The fact that we won 5 games is a testament to the defense.

Further, must you always be so negative and claim that every decision the front office makes is a poor one? Don’t you ever get excited about the direction of the team? You complain about us being the “same old Cards”, yet you can’t applaud them for trying to turn it around by making DRASTIC changes. What more do you want to see? The days of the “same old Cards” ended in some aspects when Michael Bidwill took over the checkbook, and was cemented with the hiring of Steve Keim after Graves was let go. He clearly has a plan for this team and has already made the Cards one of the most active teams this offseason. Sure, we have a few crucial pieces to fill…but honestly, with the addition of Palmer, we’re that much closer to being a contender. Let go of your disdain for this organization, for if you truly are a fan, you would appreciate the effort put forth by the front office to turn it around. Good day sir.

41. By Watsontom on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

You guys are all alike. No one is going to be the man. Just like last year you all jump on the QB band wagon in no time you fans will be calling for the current roster of QBs to get the he’ll out of Dodge. That’s why your the AZ cards.

42. By Kendrick on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I don’t see Palmer as an improvement over Kolb. When Kolb was healthy at the beginning of the season we were a good team. However, you can only take so many hits. I think he had something like 15 sacks in 2 games against the Rams and Dolphins. Thats a function of our terrible offensive line play. I know Kolb had a tendancy to hold the ball long but still. If we released Kolb to free up the 12 million dollar cap hold, then why are we bringin in Palmer who will command just a little under 10 million after we rework his deal. It doesn’t make sense to me. I would rather us take one of the top offensive tackles or guards and then bring in a guy like Mike Glennon or Ryan Nassib (heck Matt Barkley might still be there in the 2nd round). We could start Drew Stanton since he is already comfortable with the Arians’ system. Then next year we could give our newly drafted qb a chance too succeed with an improved offensive line. What do you think Darren Urban?

43. By Kevin S on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

For people lamenting the supposed lack of “development” of Skelton, the reality is he got much more experience with the Cardinals than he could ever have expected with any other team, both in live games and reps in practice, because our QB issues have been so glaring… as a fifth-round pick out of Fordham, he got to play in 5 games his rookie season, plus half of the next season after Kolb’s injuries, plus he was the named starter the next year. Some people think he never got a fair chance — but he’s gotten a heck of a lot more of a chance to show his stuff in the NFL than, say, Stanton, who (despite being a mid-2nd round pick as opposed to a late 5th round pick and despite coming into the league 3 years earlier) has thrown less than a third of the passes in the NFL that Skelton has. Or think about a guy like Ryan Mallett who was thrown 4 passes in 2 years… who knows if/when he’ll get his shot given who’s in front of him. The Cardinals gave Skelton an NFL career that he probably never would have had for any other team.

44. By mark on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I had friends always hate me for riding Skelton so hard. I just think he has all the physical gifts of what you want in a quarterback. He has the big body and a laser arm. His accuracy was shaky, but when he was in the zone, man was he fun to watch. I will miss big john, but this is a business and you can’t have 4 qbs on a team. One of them had to go, and john was the odd man out. On another note I hope Carson can come into Arizona with a good mentality, and try his ass off to win. I have my faith in Steve Keim and BA.

45. By mike on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Palmer why? he is washed up. There seems to be no change from the past. The place where old players come for thier last check. We should hang a sign on the mother ship. “opening for old used has- beens” it has to be a running joke in the NFL.

46. By canadian redbird on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I can’t believe all the excitement over a QB that is argueably on the decline. He certainly didn’t have a positive impact for the Raiders, in fact his first few games resembled that of Lindley in Arizona. I feel for Stanton, who appeared to be getting his chance to showcase his talents with Hoyer a capable backup. With the money that will be involved in a potential trade and who knows why their trading and not waiting for his release, this move will limit us in other areas. I would have preferred to spend the same money on a stud O line man vs. Palmer and take my chances on a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

47. By Charles Beckman on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Skelton needs more seasoning and a good OL if he’s ever to make it in the NFL. Nice guy, but it not a good fit here. Kolb is too small, and made of glass. He can’t take a hit, no matter how good the OL is. Palmer is a good stop-gap measure, with some good NFL creds, Stanton may shine, who knows? Time will tell. I haven’t seen enough of Hoyer to really comment on him. But, lots of enthusiasm for this season here, let’s hope we improve.~

48. By conrad on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

John Skelton will come back to bite us watch and see.

Wiz never wanted him to succeed because he brought a lost cause in Kolb and could not except the fact it was a bad decision on his part, and he should have stuck and worked with Skelton, now he will thrive with another team and we will have regrets. now we have a back up from another team just like Kolb and Palmer will not succeed either just another QB no better than Kolb and Stanton is another back up like Kolb end of story.

49. By Tyler Arevalo on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Watching Skelton on the sideline, it appeared as if he never cared if his team won or lost. The Cards would be down by two scores and he’d be joking it up with some random guy; not even engaged in the game. I mean its one thing if he’s like Flacco and just has no emotion, but his stats were horrible on top of his seemingly lukewarm attitude. I don’t know, he just really got on my nerves. Excited to see what is to come.

50. By desertspin on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I would cut Lindley everyday of the week & twice on Sunday, rather than cutting Skelton. Lindley’s not even an option at backup. Would’ve like to have seen Arians work with John – never thought he got good coaching or development while he was with the Cards. Can only hope that a good QB coach will see his potential & getting cut this early in FA will give him a better chance of getting on somewhere. Good luck JS!

51. By AzWicker on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

This move kinda reminds me of when the Cards brought in Kurt Warner from the scrap heap. That had worked out well…

52. By Mr. Football on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know it’s late, but I was wondering about this story I heard about just a couple of hours ago. I heard that there was a supposed “snag” in the contract/trade negotiations regarding C. Palmer between the Cardinals and the Raiders. This article supposedly says that the snag is so severe that it most likely the trade won’t go down (at least according to the article’s content). Is there something really going on? Or is this just some misguided unsure gossip that someone heard and wrote an article about? I am not a Card’s fan (Steelers all the way) but I was born and mostly raised out here in Phoenix so I always have a soft side for the home teams. I am hoping the Cards do pick up Palmer I have seen this guy play since he came back from his injury during his rookie season and I think he has a lot of potential (just like K. Warner) so if the Cards are pursuing his talents I’d love to see him make his way onto their roster, I just hope this story I heard was just a bunch of B.S. and maybe the Big Red can land him!

Thanks Darren!

PS- This is the webpage I heard about this supposed “snag”: http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_carson_palmer_to_the_cardinals_hits_a_snag/13290562

53. By Eazy E on Apr 1, 2013 | Reply

I also thought Skelton could be a player with the right coaching but he really regressed last year along with the team. QB is the most important position in sports and if you don’t have one, you are dead.(i.e. us)

54. By sarah on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Good analysis of the whole team in 2012

I am out of here, Darren thanks for everything, you have the best blog in the NFL end of story, total professionalism and acceptance of allot wish amazing patience. Wish you well and everyone here. Go Cards !

55. By BluePitt on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

@sarah,
    I hope you can get over your boy being cut! “with 12 touchdown passes, 22 interceptions ” Enough said!!!!!!!!

56. By BluePitt on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

@Scott H,
    “Funny, the things you resort to hoping for when you are a fan of the Arizona Cardinals…” Ant that the truth!!!
    I did see Kolb have the success you spoke of…4-0 last year and if you look he was winning the games prior to his getting hurt in his first year,, Our D just sucked till the last 6-8 games..Look up the points he put up, they were way more than enough to win with even a ok D..He did have one of the worst linees in the nfl for 2 years Kind of hard to win on your back…Just saying…
    But I to hope he sucks in BUFF…
    On Skelton..like I said ” 12 touchdown passes, 22 interceptions ” Enough said!!!!!!!!

57. By Buddy Lembeck on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Sarah,

Skelton completed 2 of 8 passes with an interception in the Buffalo game. He hardly “picked up” where Kolb left off. john skelton picked up where John Skton left off… Which is why he was cut yesterday.

58. By Sean44 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand how someone blessed with the talent to play in the NFL, and having at least 500,000 per year to train footwork, lift weights, work on accuracy, work on disciplining the mind to make good choices, all that fun stuff, ends up saying they had a few bad days.

If the drills are boring, tell the head coach. They may agree and change things up a bit to keep practice from becoming a drag. Warning: Or they might be offended and make sure you never say it again.

Its great to see William Powell come back. Its great TV to watch someone like him go out there and at least try to be something special. Having fun with the game. Which a lot of times he started to really look like a break out talent.

59. By Eric G on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Glad Skelton is gone. He just doesn’t have “it.” He was a third string QB who only got to start because Whiz wouldn’t know a QB if Montana, Favre, Young, Unitas or Bradshaw were standing in front of him.

60. By Andrew on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Personally. I think it was his time to go. John produced little to nothing this year. And what was the point on keeping him on the roster. I agree with the move. But I hope he can get behind a veteran and learn a thing a or two before he becomes a starter. But, the Palmer situation. I believe. If we trade for him, he might, very well be a long term solution. If you have a chance to get a QB with nearly identical numbers to Joe Flacco, ummm. You should probably take him. I thought they should have taken him a few years back. But this will probably be the best QB we will have on our roster since Kurt Warner. GO CARDS!

61. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Sarah,

well played. Nice tribute.

I’m glad to see William Powell back. Hope other teams see his back all the way to 6 points, a lot.

Interesting that we’ve kept Lindley and let Skelton go. I haven’t watched all the film and what I do see is not a lot. (One whole game last season, but yipee, my local station knows how much I really wanted to watch those fifteen 49ers games instead, but that’s another story.)

Ultimately, elite NFL qurterbacks throw >60% completion and look for first downs and touchdowns on 3rd down because they know the punt will follow on 4th (except in Philly this year, watch what Chip Kelly does there, going to rock the old school NFL Coaches with his 4th down policies, “What’s a punt?”)

Lots of pieces to get 60% completion; running, O-Line, recievers, reading defenses, play calling, throwing the ball within five yards of the receiver, etc. Here’s hoping and trusting Arians and Leim have a philosophy that will work as well on the field as on paper.

Here’s to NY next February.

62. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

In a draft many see as having a lot of potential playmakers for the O-Line and Safety, it looks like Keim’s & Arians’ aproach of of having a comprehensive plan for FA and the draft may truly be better than a separate plan for each.

I don’t know if there was a separate or a comprhensive plan before, but it sounds like before it was separate plans. If anyone knows this answer…

I’m really interested to see how this plays out on the field. (Sorry for the pun, but I thought it played well with my thoughts.)

63. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Clssylssy,

“Some players just aren’t a good fit with some teams but all NFL players have to be pretty darn good even to get to the professional level and take a snap much less last years.”

Spot on!

64. By Kevin on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Thank God he will be out of football and I would expect us to cut Lindley as well.
    Hoyer should be our starter heading into the 2013 season. Scratching head to why they want Palmer come on now he was never good. Stanton no he is another Skelton wait and see. Need to bring back Kerry Rhodes an important piece of our secondary. I just don’t see paying Palmer and giving up draft picks for him.

65. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Mr. Football —

RE: Snag

We’ll see how it plays out. All sides have a reason to want to make it work.

66. By Mike61 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Can’t say I agree with “Warner liking everybody”. He didn’t like Anderson, Leinart or Kolb. I think Palmer for a late round pick seems like another smart move from our new FO. I’m anxious to see how BA gets this program running. The new coaching staff/FO have a huge job ahead trying to be competitive in this division. Just listening to BA talk has me excited about what he expects and what he plans on being able to do. We’ll have to wait and see if this team can produce on the field……Go CARDS!!

67. By Kevin on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

If we do decide to go with Palmer he would be better than what we had for the last few years. I support Kevin Kolb not the money we paid him way over paid but hope he makes it with the Bills. Last year no QB could of survived how our OL protected them. Lets hope we pick up some OL in the draft we need them. Cutting Skelton was the right choice

68. By Christo on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

We should have made this Cut on Day 1.

Oh well better late than never.

69. By Charles Crawford on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

First off Wiz was a joke as a play caller. Second his judgement of QB’s was a total failure except Warner. Third draft Warmack first and put him at RG. The man is a beast and will be All Pro. Then get a speed burner WR as a complement to Fitz. If there is a QB worthy of being a project in the draft fine. If not fill out the draft with OL, a RB and S. There are still some outside situational pass rushers as free agents so don’t waste a draft choice on one. Don’t totally ignore the 4 – 3. Do the deal for Palmer and give him some weapons and he’ll do fine. Just some thoughts from a former football coach.

70. By mike on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Where are some of you getting the 4-0 for kolb? Do you watch the games? he was 4-2 when he got hurt AGAIN.

71. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Wow, as I read these comments, I started to think we let go John Elway instead of John Skelton.

I knew Sarah would bank her life on him but I guess many others thought he was the man also. I’m blown away.

Then Kolb starts getting love from fans and I see comparisons between the two.

Are you people kidding me?
    The cardinals have not had a starting QB on their roster in 3 years. This is why a professional GM and longtime scout has looked at the tapes and decided to release them.

Do you think Keim did it alone? I’m positive Arians and Moore (two offensive professional coaches ) also looked at the film and decided there is nothing there to salvage.

So, maybe you saw John as this winner with potential. If only the oline gave him a chance. Obviously Arians comes in and says what I have been saying all along, the oline is not that bad and here is the door Mr Kolb and Skelton.

Skelton finished as a card with a 53% comp ratio and 15 tds to 25 picks.his career QB rating was 63.0 and in his 20 games as a card he was sacked 47 times which is less than both Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers last year alone. Even guys like Dalton and Luck were real close to that amount. Funny, those 4 did OK.

C’est la via …

72. By D on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Is John Lott running around the facility like a crazy Texan this am?

73. By jasonsoroski on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Great guy. Hope he lands in a good spot.

74. By erik on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

All you people complaining about the O-Line, you must be confused thinking Batiste is still the starting LT. He is not. Secondly, Kolb was responsible for half the sacks while he was playing because he thought he was RGIII and ALWAYS tried taking off to the right as soon as a whiff of pressure came his way. We will get Levi Brown back and he is much better than some seem to think. Oh yeah, and there is this thing called “The Draft”. We will probably get at least one upgrade there.

I’m pretty sure Cutler and Rodgers get hit just as much as any QB in the league. Enough with this “Kurt would be dead if he was back there, our O-line sucks” crap. It is not based in reality.

75. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren
    Is Palmer at the facility this morning now that hes a Card?

76. By D on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Hey Carson, I am sure a donation to Jay Feeley’s charity will get you #3

77. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Safety —

RE: Palmer

Yes, he’s here.

78. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Thanks

79. By Chuck 1 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Smart move by Keim and BA to acquire Palmer for a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick. Salary of about $8 Mil/year with incentives of another $4 Mil.is appropriate for someone of his experience.
    Now, trade Hoyer for a pick and draft a QB (who BA and Moore can develop) in the 2nd or 3rd round.
    Draft the Alabama guard in the 1st round.
    For those fans who believe that the OL will be terrible, remember that BA brought along the OL coach from the Colts. The OL will improve under his coaching.

80. By BluePitt on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

@John The Draft Guy,
    I dont disagree with you on Kolb but I did see a glimmer of tallent that needed to be coached bu a Real coach who knows how to mold A QB, And BA had to make a choice over 13mill, he stated that it was crappy he couldnt talk to Kolb and ask him questions about his decisions. So he had to move on before the bonus hit! I love how you put words in his mouth by saying he did this prooving that lol… It came down to no info and $ he even stated it was just timing and no info!

81. By johnnybluenose on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

@Tyler Arevalo. you are absolutely right about skelton. he acted like he was having a hard time staying awake out there. he was never demonstrative, never showing leadership or any awareness of the situation on the field. I think his departing tweet says a lot about his attitude. no “thank you” to anyone, just a “c’est la vie” like he could not care less. we made a big mistake in drafting him. let’s draft some o-linemen, pass rushers and a running back and let’s hope carson palmer can give us two good years and maybe, maybe we can compete again.

82. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Trade

It was for more than that. Not much more, but more.

83. By John on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Skelton was brewed too fast and should have had a true mentor starter guy to backup. If Kolb has been the man and won Skelton would still be here. Very talented player that needs to work out the kinks. I think he was a far better quarterback early than what Lindley showed and brought himself down to that level perceptually.

As per some of the Cobra like comments, well Skelton was a classy kid and some of the comments here do not reflect the same. Wish him luck and came across this article.

84. By Sammy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I think the big problem in 12 was the offensive coordinator Mike Miller who was learning on the go. That was a big leap of faith given his background, yeah he was in Pittsburg but had never worked with the quarterbacks etc. Throw in the line and ridiculously bad running game and we got the 2012 season. The OL line could not produce key yardage for the backs when needed, they became better at pass protection but not run. Miller ended up in Canada.

85. By Sammy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

This is a good piece re. Miller and Skelton first game against Denver.

86. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Blueprint,

I got to disagree with you on that one. Sometimes coaches say nice things to the press about a guy as they are cutting him.

What would you expect BA to say? Oh he has a bonus and we didnt get to talk to him, so we cut him, says to me , I saw him on film and I’m not paying this guy. In fact, he is not my QB at all.

Supposely they offered to redo his contract, but do you really believe that the new contract was worth anything and do you think BA had any intentions to play him?

If Kolb thought he could get a decent offer and have a shot at starting, would he really have said “no”. His Bill contract is a Maximum of 13 million over 2 years which has incentives pushing it up to the 13 million over 2 years.

Jamie Dukes has a segment called “Say What” on NFL network. He says what he thinks is really being said. Why does he have this segment? Because , With so much coach talk and agents teaching players what to say, we dont really get the real story. OK, his segment is a little funny also, but the point is, BA is not going to say Kolb was bad, I dont want him.

Ask yourself one question, If Phillip Rivers, who had a down year, was due a bonus and the new coach in SD couldn’t talk to him, but got to look at tape, do you think he cuts Phillip and says I just didnt get to talk to him? Heck no. Because the tape shows real talent.

the tape showed a tentative Kolb who looked to throw short outs instead of down the field and held the ball way too long due to his confusion and his looking down one wr. Thus, he is now a Buffalo Bill.

Bottom line, If BA wanted Kolb, he would be a cardinal.

87. By mel on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

This is good.

Best of luck John !

88. By Scott H on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Jerrytown –

And you don’t think that the O-line had a little something to do with the poor QB play and poor production from the running game??? Gee, I’m sorry…I thought we were talking about football here. My mistake. Please forgive me.

And what “DRASTIC” changes are you referring to???? This off-season so far has not distingusihed itself in any significant way from the past several. No big names, no clear impact players, no obvious up-grades. And we’ve signed on with another veteran QB who has had little success in recent years. Yeah…that sure is different.

Look, pardon my sarcasm. i am a die-hard fan of this team regardless of how you perceive me. You want to call me negative, go ahead. I believe that passion is often mis-diagnosed as negativity. If I weren’t passionate about this team, why would I put so much time into this blog? Again, I find it interesting that the team has 3 consecutive losing seasons but you would rather focus on my negativity…

With all due respect to you, I think we have bigger concerns. And good day to you as well.

89. By Coach Kevin on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Skelton was never the answer. Does not have the “it” factor. Look for the Cardinals to find their long term answer in next years draft.

90. By clssylssy on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

II see John got wasn’t out of work long and got picked up by the Bengals to back up Andy Dalton. Good Luck to you John with your new team. Sometimes things do really happen for a reason and the Bengals could be a contender!

91. By mel on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Good luck John, fix your issues and you will be a starter !

92. By Kevin S on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

The Bengals picked up Skelton to compete for the backup job — it’s not a given he will get it. And, mel, he sure as heck ain’t starting unless something happens to Dalton (and, possibly, the next guy).

93. By scubasteve on Apr 18, 2013 | Reply

Good piece on Skelton with the Bengals.

2. Apr 1, 2013: Cardinals release John Skelton, per report - Sporrty - Sporrty
  3. Apr 1, 2013: Cardinals release John Skelton, per report | Breaking News Pinboard
  4. Apr 9, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | To take a quarterback