The Palmer-Stanton dynamic

Posted by Darren Urban on April 2, 2013 – 11:09 am

Matthew Stafford. Tim Tebow. Andrew Luck. And now Carson Palmer.

If Drew Stanton was hoping his path would finally be cleared to be an NFL starter, well, another name is in front of him. Palmer is officially a Cardinal. He’ll collect $10 million guaranteed on a two-year contract that the Cardinals can easily shed after one year if need be. He gives the Cards a veteran signal-caller and their most proven QB since Kurt Warner. He steadies the offense even if he isn’t quite the guy he used to be. Palmer is in the building, attending meetings with his team and isn’t even behind, since today was the first day the players were going to be able to talk football with their new coaches anyway. Palmer is starting in the same place on the learning curve as Larry Fitzgerald, so that’s good.

We’ll have much more on Palmer later. This is about Stanton, the man who less than a month ago was hoping to have a shot at being a starter.

Stanton knows the NFL business better than anyone. (And in fact, apparently was told when he signed a Palmer arrival could indeed be in the Cards’ plans.) Stanton was a second-round pick in Detroit who missed his rookie season with knee surgery and fell behind in his second year as a Lion (behind Jon Kitna and Dan Orvlosky) when a thumb injury kept him out of the preseason. By 2009, Stafford arrived as savior and permanent starter. Stanton hoped he could at least be the backup with the Jets when he signed as a free agent last year — and with Mark Sanchez’s issues, maybe an opening at some point — but the Jets traded for Tebow five days later and, writing on the wall, Stanton asked to move on. The Jets sent him to Indy, where he was inevitably going to sit behind Luck.

Stanton hoped the combination of Bruce Arians and the Cards’ QB situation might be a little different. Arians talked him up but left the door ajar, the space within which Palmer now walks through. Palmer is going to be the starter. But Stanton will be the backup, and who knows, maybe Stanton will — through injury or otherwise — get a shot to start at some point.

StantonBackgroundUSE

Tags: , , , , ,

71 Responses to “The Palmer-Stanton dynamic”

1. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Nicely done Cards! Golf claps all around.

2. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

The BA strikes again. Like it. Now let’s play some football! Can we beat the 49ers and Seahawks? Why not.

3. By Bill L on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

No real missteps ……..So Far……..now if they come out of the draft with a real O-Line to keep Palmer …..Upright…….Injury Free……Alive. One of the top 3 LTs is a must……….and hopefully someone rembers that Levi was actually WORSE as a RT…….If the Cards find a RT in the second round, I would be a happy camper………too much to expect a starting C in the 3rd????? Well, shouldn’t get too happy……Right?!!!!!

4. By dan on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I remember Antrel Rolle picking off Carson Palmer 3 times and all 3 were returned for TD’s. He can make some bad throws but he has a lot of talent. Probably our best QB since Warner which isn’t saying much.

5. By Jason on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Bill L —

He was a pro bowl alternate as a RT

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Despite the move, I’m sure some dumb@ss mock draft experts at NFL.com and cbsports.com will still have the Card’s picking Geno Smith or Matt Barkley (like that was ever going to happen w/o the Palmer signing) in their subsequent mock drafts. I wish I could get paid to come up with stupid mock drafts like a lot of these chumps do. The guys at CBS are the worst.

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Glad Palmer is the starter going into training camp. No more musical chairs at the QB position through all of training camp and no naming the starter only one week before opening day.

8. By Brian on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m ecstatic. To be honest, I think Palmer is a better QB than Warner. I was hoping for this day for the last two years. The fact that we get Palmer so cheap, and now can spend hopefully the top 2 picks on a Guard and Tackle… it’s about a dream scenario. In my mind, this validates completely the decision by ownership to switch leadership teams. This is the kind of smart, contrarian, cheap move that resembles the savvy Patriots moves more than the historical Cards moves. I’m liking the ownership and leadership of the Cards a LOT nowadays, and am glad I’ve got my season tickets booked! It’s a good day, Cards fans.

We’re in a brutal division, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sneak into the playoffs at least once in the next two years, if not twice. Watch out Seahawks and 49ers!

9. By Kurt on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Nice move

10. By Erik on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Wow this is Crazy… BA comes in and We get Palmer… when we had Whisenhunt we had so many different QBs and here we got a decent one right off the bat… I really like the new regime. Now if the nail the Draft with a B+ or A+ then i will definetly like the direction there going.

11. By Andy Kw on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

This is probably the best trade this team has made in years. We traded for Carson Palmer and a 7th Round 2013 Draft pick with a 6th Round 2013 NFL Draft pick and a 7th Round 2014 conditional draft pick. This is an outstanding trade made by Bruce Arians.
    -The Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a Second Round pick for QB Kevin Kolb was probably one of the worst trades in NFL History. Kevin Kolb was injury prone but when healthy can prove to be a decent QB.
    -Our Offensive Line has a long way to go but with OC/OL Coach Harold Goodwin and the return of LT Levi Brown, our Offensive Line will be slightly improved in the 2013 season. Our Sacks allowed could reduce all the way down to 40 or maybe even 30.
    -QB Drew Stanton could get his chance to start although the Cardinals traded for Carson Palmer. Stanton has nothing to worry about. Our QB situation has finally improved for the better. I can’t say our QB situation is fully healed but our QB tandem is in a lot better shape than the Kolb-Skelton-Lindley/Hoyer era or the Anderson-Bartel- Skelton era. If Carson Palmer falters, Drew Stanton could play better than he does and be the starting QB. Drew Stanton will get his shot so he should be fine.
    -Bruce Arians and Steve Keim is much better than the Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves era.

12. By David Magee on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

The Cardinals had to do something and Palmer has been a starter so we hope for good health and good decisions. He is probably the best QB that has played for Arizona since Kurt Warner. I wish this team great success!

13. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Love the pickup!

At least we now have someone who is a legit NFL QB. I know he is 33 and we have gone the route of Boomer, Dave Kraig, and a host of others before, but I see Palmer different.

Palmer is leaving the raiders because they are a mess and need to start over. He isn’t leaving because he couldn’t perform. His 4000 yards and 22 TDs with shaky wrs at best, tells me he still has it.

Palmer knows how to read a defense presnap. His low totals every year with sacks tells me that.

Palmer will have Fitz and Floyd as his wrs, not darius hayward-bey and Demetruis Moore to throw to. Howsler, King and Roberts gives him weapons he just didnt have the last few years. As I have said before, can you imagine what Fitz could have done the last 3 years with a real QB. Well, the same can be said about Palmer and what can he do with wrs.

I heard someone say the raiders were always in catch up mode.That is why Palmer put up the stats he did. Well consider this, guys make big money to sack the QB and when they are up, this is their time. D Cords love when a team gives up on the run and has to throw. They live for that. No one was just giving the raiders those yards and tds.

I think it was a wise move.

14. By G Witt on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Time will tell if this was a good move or not. I hope at least it’ll get us headed in the right direction. I think this is the most positive move at the qb position that we have seen in quite some time. Looking forward to the new season. GO CARDS!!!!!

15. By Chris B on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

2 footballs and a kicking tee. that’s what the cards have now given for a starting QB. Even if Palmer plays the exact same he did last year, we’ll be way better off than with Skelton or Lindley starting. He also is less of a question mark on the injury front as Kolb was.

Nice job Kiem.

16. By Sackman on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Good pickup! I believe this team has improved considerably since last season. New coach which is an improvement from last one. Better play calling should follow. New RB Mendenhall if healthy. OL rookies improved towards the end of the season last year. We will pickup some good OL in the draft. Younger players picked up. Now we have a Good Quarterback, maybe not elite, but a very good QB. He is better than Kolb, Skelton or any other QB we had in the last couple of years. I would take him over Tony Romo whom got paid alot of money. I like the direction this team is going in. Good JOB management. Looking forward to the start of the season now!!!

17. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Keeping an open mind, even optimistic on what our new HC and OC “Advisor” can do with C. Palmer, D. Stanton and our solid receiving corp … Larry F., M. Floyd, Andre R. and don’t forget Housler. Cribbs gets his knee right, we’re in bid’ness bros, sis’. We may have some sleeper receiving talent behind them as well.

Also, don’t think OL was ever really “coached”, Grimm’s style was for them to “jell” as a group. Lets coach em up right with real coaching, standing over them all summer and see what they can do. Got some potential there too.

Go Cards, DTL.

18. By Eazy E on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

We sound like the guy that had a bad chick(Warner) and they did everything together and they loved each other but for whatever reason(retirement) she went her separate ways and now he has had a bunch of bad girlfriends and now we got a girl that used to be a beauty queen(No. 1 pick) and now she’s barely recognizable because she let herself go. What I am trying to get to is Carson is past his prime. Y’all are thinking about the early Cincy days Palmer where he was on the verge of being an elite QB, but that injury changed everything for him. Is he better than Stanton? Sure, but who isn’t really… But did we get remarkably better hell no we didn’t, only slightly because it was DREW STANTON we are talking about!!! Vince Young is better, Tim Tebow is better, and I really like Geno. All 3 are winners, Carson isn’t a winner either. 2 winning seasons in 9 years and I understand he has played with terrible franchises but you’re supposed to be this great #1 overall pick and all you’re going to play for an awful franchise and you’re supposed to help get it out of hell, you have to win more than 27, 28% of the time in my opinion and should be everybody’s opinion that he has to win more than that.#Putrid #Same Old Cardinals #Not Impressed

19. By Eric G on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Now let’s shore up that line in front of Palmer through the draft and FA. Hope Levi stays healthy this year, he was sorely missed.

20. By philly cards? on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I wanted him after cinncinati but bidwills didn’t. I hope its not too late but it probably is.
    Honestly I’d rather have kept q than larry at this point. Atleast wed still have him. And with weak armed qbs anquan gets us more wins.

21. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Who falls to AZ at number 7?

There are a few question marks in front of the cards.

#1, The Chiefs – they have Brandon Albert at LT, who is pretty good. Do they trade this spot, grab Star Lotulelei, or take another tackle. I think a trade is possible.

#2 Jacksonville – When a team has that many needs, they could land a tackle. But with the new coach wanting to get his defense going, defense like Jordon or Milliner makes sense.

#4 Eagles – many put a tackle here but they are forgeting they have the best LT in the game with Peters. He was just injured and will return.

#5 Lions – Backus has been the LT forever. One of these days they are going to replace him. Is this the year.

#3 and #6 have tackles and will go other directions

So at #7, all 3 tackles could be gone or say this happens;

1- chiefs – Star Lotulelei
    2- Jacksonville – Dion Jordon
    3- Raiders – Shariff Floyd
    4. Eagles – Ziggy Ansah
    5 – Lions – Dee Milliner
    6 – Browns – Geno Smith
    7 – Cards – Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher

Unlikely, but it could happen.

22. By cardsalltheway on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

The third time is the charm! I mean team, for CP.

23. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

First off nice job by keim on getting us the garbage qb’s we need to put us in FIRST PLACE FOR JOHNNY MANZIEL,BRUCE is already 60yrs old i give him 2yrs to clean mess of players and cap space then we bring in new coach ready to compete for championship..Man i can’t wait for us to be #1 on the clock next year.If i’m Keim i’m doing backflips and handstands all the way to podium.sorry to some fans that think we will be legit.this year not going to happen it is just reality..

24. By Dvail on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Bill L —

get a life or get your ass out there an protect the qb

25. By cardsalltheway on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Bill L.,
    I think N. Potter would beat out Lance Johnson and is our best LT. Therefore, it must be Chance Warmack in Round 1. But, don’t be surprised if it’s Tyler Eifert(TE) Notre Dame.

Safety Guy,
    “Golf claps all around”

Baba Booey!

26. By Harry Boldin on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

This is great! It’s the trade I had hoped for when we Whiz et al entered into the disastrous Kolb debacle! Now, if we can come up with a quality O/L we’ll be in business. Go Cards!

27. By Chuck 1 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m responding to you correction of my comment on the last blog that Palmer would get about $8 Mil/year (plus $4 Mil. in incentives).

Although I know that you don’t value Bleacher Report, here is where I took my info from:

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: Numbers

I wasn’t meaning to imply the contract numbers were off, but the trade compensation.

29. By erik on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I think Housler is about to have his breakout year!

30. By Bill L on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Jason;

What can I say…..but that Levi had virtually no fan votes, and how he got picked is atleast a mystery……..and maybe a crime. But, let me introduce you to ProFootballFocus………which rates every player in the L on every play…….in 2009 they rated Levi as the 2nd Worst Tackle in the L……..in 2010 Levi hit the jackpot and was rated Last in the L………..now I doubt he has gotten much/any better.

I believe 2009 was his last year at RT………but, I attribute the decline from Next to LAST……to DEAD LAST ……to stiffer Pass Rushers on Our L their R……but STINK is STINK L or R. The point is Levi is a BAD/HORRIBLE PrO Tackle…..on either side………atleast IMO, and a lot of other people if you’ll look.

31. By Dynosoar on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

John The Draft Guy,

how do you see Chance Womack?

32. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

erik,

I can’t agree more with you. Housler will have a breakout year.

33. By georgiebird on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Very disappointed in Arians. The Cardinals will now be a middle of the pack team, at best, and the chances of getting a franchise QB have been reduced significantly.
    Carson Palmer is not the answer but Arians feels he can be a winner with Palmer- no way.
    Outside of Bert Berry, who has performed better with the Cardinals than with their previous club(s).
    Arians is showing signs of arrogance rivaled only by his predecessor.

34. By Evan on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Feely going to give up jersey #3?

35. By Ezz on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I feel bad for Stanton but we just couldn’t afford to keep gambling at the spot. This is not to say that Palmer is an elite QB as silly as i think that term is, but he’s a proven commodity and with the receivers we have, he can make the offense work far better than it has in the past two years. I still don’t agree with all the decisions this regime has taken, especially on the defensive end, but this makes me a little bit more optimistic going into the season.

36. By Corgon on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Nice. Not just getting Palmer, but the trade is nice as well. Fitz-Floyd-Roberts-Housler-(and maybe one rookie TE). This is better group what Palmer ever had.

If we could get somehow Warmack and Eifert/Ertz with the first two pick i’d be happy. Of course some trade would be then.

37. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

it has been reported that if fisher and warmack are gone we trade out a couple slots and then select lane johnson..

Chance is a beast he has pro bowl caliber typewritten all over stud like this

to all the housler bandwagon fans now i’ll tell his grandpa ron you said what’s up…..

38. By MIKE HADZINSKI C.M. PUNK on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

chance is a beast he has probowl caliber written all over him he is a stud.. sorry ps3 keypad sucks

39. By Jason on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m sorry… he took over in week 11 of 2009 after Gandy was injured. I hope you understand that I’m not saying Levi Brown is a pro bowl RT. I’m simply stating he was better on the right side. I don’t agree that we need to draft a RT as we have 3 guys who can play that position in Brown, Massie and Potter.

40. By John The Draft Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Last year, one of the best players in the draft was guard David Decastro.
    Decastro went to the Steelers at #24.

In 2011, Danny Watkins was the top guard and he went #23.

Mike Iupati went to SF in 2010 at the 17th pick.

In 2009, no guards went in round 1, but a center did at #21 Alex Mack
    In 2008, no guards
    In 2007, Ben Grubbs went 29th

Do you see a trend? Warmack and Cooper are excellent players and great guards. They will upgrade a team right away. But history shows guards just don’t go that high. Over the last 6 drafts, a guard has not broke the top 15. This might be the year, but top 7? I just dont see it.

On a separate note, Palmer doesn’t like pressure up the middle, and doesnt move well, so Warmack or Cooper aren’t bad picks for the cards, but I dont think it will happen.

41. By luke on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Massie vs levi vs first or 2nd round pick.Love the competition, because that’ll leave Potter and one of the three as back ups. Going to be a great Line this year.

42. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Evan —

RE: Feely

43. By Campbells on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Hope CP does a good job for us.

On the contrary, I hate it when BA touts the o-line as being competent. He has to know, we haven’t had a running game for the last hundred years. If we truly want to compete, we need a serious running attack.

Another area in need of development is the utilization of our tight-ends. We need our TE to be enough of a threat that defenses will allocate defenders to cover them. Frankly, I’d like to see us draft a real play-making TE.

44. By LadyBird04 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Glad we got Carson Palmer. Wish we got him years ago instead of Derek Anderson. Anyway…what other players were in Phoenix at the meetings today?Who did Carson get to interact with?

Palmer should give a nice donation to Feeley’s charities for the number…just a nice gesture.

45. By Ymmy Yames on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

The best news is that Palmer is the starter without question going through camp. And Stanton is number 2. And that’s the way it will be. No questions, no waffling. Straight answers. Palmer is not the healthiest starting quarterback, so Stanton is perfect.

And if they draft Glennon in Round 2, that gives them a guy that will be ready to go after this 2 year contract is over. I like this move. Great job rolling over the roster.

46. By Bryan Hoyer on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I’m outta here. On my way to Cleveland for a 5th rounder.

47. By Bill L on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Jason

If you are talking to me, I took no offense. I do…..obviously…..think Levi is no better than a backup……not a starter under any circumstance. And, for a backup I would rather have someone that I had some hope for improvement.

I do think, based on BA’s comments that they are going with Levi……..in a Horrible case, IMO, as LT…….and, in a very bad case as RT.

48. By tbru on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I am not jumping on the bandwagon. I believed in Anderson. I had faith in Kolb. I was convinced Skelton would become a star. Sure, I’ll join the Carson Palmer fan club, after I see something on the field.

49. By ndpenner on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

What is that little glimmer over there? I think it looks like hope. :)

50. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Palmer better think BIG on that donation to Feelys Foundation.

51. By Scott H on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

OK, Carson Palmer it is. Again, it’s certainly not the worst thing in the world. I DO applaud the organization for getting Palmer at a reasonable price and I do applaud Arians for coming right out and naming him the starter. Then again, I wonder what happens if Stanton somehow appears to be a better QB during camp and pre-season. Hmmmm…..

But did Arians REALLY come out and proclaim that he feels our group of QB’s is as good as any in the league? C’mon, Bruce…you didn’t need to go that far.

52. By andystandsup on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Feel bad for Stanton, but that’s the way the oblong ball bounces sometimes.
    Brian Hoyer has to be outta here next with the tender being signed. No way he stays on the roster as third string with that salary. Problem is, every team knows it and it will be hard to get “true” value for him.
    Effectively ends a first round QB being picked also, though a later round passer could be an option to unseat Ryan Lindley. Maybe that Canadian guy, Adam Pierre?

53. By tyman on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Reminds me of when we picked up Warner…

What a steal really !!!
    We robbed the Raiders
    We avoided Andy Reid Bamboozling us for a second rounder.
    We got the Dancing back and the deep throw Qb
    Start talking about the cards and forget about the San Fran/Seattle

54. By tyman on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Scott H I can help but comment that you were one of the guys saying give Matt a chance, when we could all see that he was a bust. We drafted Matt Leinart back in the day because of the success of Carson Palmer coming out of USC. Carson Palmer is no Matt Leinart!!! Period….

And BA is right our group of QB’s is as good as any in the league

55. By Jack on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

OK PALMERS NOT A GREAT QB,BUT I FEEL THIS IS HIS BEST RECIEVING CORE SINCE HE GOT TO THE PROS.WE PICK UP A COUPLE SOLID OL GUYS AND WE’LL BE SET!! EXCEPT WE STILL DONT HAVE A LEGIT EVERY DOWN BACK TO HELP SET UP THE PASS OR BLOCK WHEN NEEDED.HOWEVER I DO BELIEVE PALMER IS A SOLID STEP UP FROM KOLB/SKELLTON.

56. By Ricardo C on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

I was not a big supporter of this idea a month ago but I’m optimistic now..the best reason is because I just love absolutely love Bruce Arians commitment to Palmer already letting him know he is the quarterback of this team so Palmer feels comftarble playing out there and consentrating on throwing complete passes and not playing scare thinking I he is going to lose his job if healed a mistake like whiz handled pur quarterback situation..I think that was his biggest problem with qbs he always had them playing scared worried more about not making a mistake rather then letting it fly don’t get me wrong I’m thankfull for whiz for changing the culture around here it’s awesome that now we demand a winner and I’m just happy that we now have a coach that will have his quarterback worry about throwing touchdowns an letting him know if he throws a interception on a double team to Larry it’s ok your our quarterback! Lets go cardinals!!lets draft oline and olb and mathieu

57. By Chuck 1 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Andy Kw,

BA DIDN’T make the trade.
    Keim made the trade.
    Get the responsibilities correct.
    Granted, BA had a significant input.

58. By Chuck 1 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

While we are throwing plaudits around, let’s not forget Michael Bidwill for hiring Keim and BA.

59. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Andy you crack me up!

60. By Safety Guy on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Darren

Cards getting their moneys worth with you the last couple weeks.
    Don’t forget to inhale….exhale.

Nice work.

Think Carson will join Fitz in MN this year for his annual camp?

61. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Bill L.,

Please stop using me. I am just a simple little dot. I can’t handle the over exposure.

Sincerely,
    Mr. Ellipsis

62. By Chuck 1 on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

More on a potential Hoyer trade (at some point).
    Several sources say that there is no market to trade him NOW.
    HOWEVER, as we have seen, every year QBs are injured. That’s when Hoyer’s trade value will leap. But, if the Cards don’t draft a QB, the team will be left with only Palmer and Stanton. Then, they can’t trade Hoyer or will be vulnerable to injuries to both QBs.
    I still would not rule out the Cards drafting a QB in the second or third round and trading Hoyer for whatever they can get.

63. By Credit Card on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Someone needs to break into Kiem’s office, then steal and destroy his Weegie board. Afterwards, do the same in Bidwill’s office and take his magic 8 ball.

64. By Mike Adams on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Ill bowl 3 frames against Bruce Arians if I can stay on the roster

65. By Credit Card on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Light years ahead of the days of Anderson / Hall tandem, to Palmer / Stanton

Now, if we can make the OL light years ahead. Move Brown to LG, trade #7 pick down, and pick up Warmack, Potter, Brown, Seidlien, Warmack, and Massie. Thats a quicker, bigger, stronger group than in the past.

66. By ored on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

most exciting free agency period ever,just hope it works.i like palmer if he has time to find his mojo,now if the run game comes around,this could work

would like to trade back and draft cooper,reports say he’s almost as good run blocking as warmack,but better pass protector,better athlete and has played center i think.then the multi tasking guard,center,tackle from bama would fit nice.

next a safety,pass rusher,and some young depth behind darnell,he needs to be teaching someone to take over.now we have a qb,we don’t need no stinking 15 draft picks,lol,just a few good picks.love that both keim and ba take evaluating talent personal.get a couple of sure thing picks,couple of promising,need time to develop picks,and a hidden gem or two,along with a local kid or two to keep the fans happy.starting to smell like good treats at the tailgate party.

67. By Darren Urban on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Safety —

RE: Palmer in Minny

No idea.

68. By Coach Kevin on Apr 2, 2013 | Reply

Look for a Hoyer Trade to Pittsburgh for a third round pick from the Steelers. It could happen.

69. By Andy Kw on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

If this team is going to draft a Quarterback, we should draft the Quarterback in the third or fourth round.
    Here are my thoughts on the draft again:
    1.) OT Eric Fisher/ OG Chance Warmack
    Our team is loaded with okay tackles but are in need of a better guard to improve the run game. If Eric Fisher is available take him, if not, this team should draft Chance Warmack to open up the field for Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams to run. I’m more for the idea of drafting Warmack than Fisher. Nate Potter and Bobby Massie has shown that they are decent starters in the NFL.
    2.) FS John Cyprien/ RB Eddie Lacy
    Since there are big names like Eric Reid and Kenny Vacarro, I believe Cyprien will make his way towards the top of the 2nd Round. If he is taken, Vacarro or Reid will make it in to the 2nd round and all 3 have talent. Cyprien is better than the bunch but if any of these 3 come available, take them. If Lacy is still available in the 2nd Round and any of these 3 are still available, I still advise to take a safety than a running back. Eddie Lacy has the power and burst that this team lacks in the backfield. He has the potential to become one of the elite backs in the NFL. Although he has the possibilities of being injured and possibly chosen by other needy teams like the Packers, he would still be a nice pick up.
    3.)WR Marquess Wilson /OT Reid Fragel
    Our team doesn’t need wide receivers but anything that bolsters the offense and provides more to Carson Palmer’s arsenal would help. Our number 1,2, and 3 wide receivers are all set so Fitzgerald, Roberts, and Floyd have nothing to worry about. Marquess Wilson has quick feet and could immediately play an impact as our offense gets stronger and stronger. LaRon Byrd has speed as well so I would assume he would remain at number 5 WR because he has phenomenal talent. Obviously if Fisher is drafted, Reid Fragel isn’t needed but if Warmack is drafted instead of Fisher, Fragel would be a nice draft pick in the third round.
    4.) QB E.J Manuel/ QB Mike Glennon/ QB Tyler Bray
    I know drafting Manuel in the 4th round is highly impossible due to him probably being selected in the earlier rounds. Although it might be impossible to draft him so far down the draft class, the idea of this Quarterback Draft Class being one of the worst could bring him down this far. Glennon would probably be selected in the earlier rounds as well. QB Tyler Bray will probably be the only Quarterback in my selections that will be available in the 4th round. All these Quarterbacks have strong arms which is why I selected these QBs. Going down from Manuel, Manuel is the most accurate of the bunch, Glennon would come next, and Bray would come last as he will learn to be a QB that can play in the professional level.
    5.) DE Devin Taylor/ DE Quinton Dial
    I expect Dial to be available in this round but Devin Taylor has been impressive in the Combine and has the capabilities of being an elite and true NFL starter. I love Taylor’s work ethics and his combination of speed, strength, and burst makes him one of the best Defensive Ends but teams will look overlook him which is why he might fall in this round. He has drawn interest from many teams but I believe Taylor’s arrival here would be the right fit. Quinton dial can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme which is why he would be a nice pick up here to bolster the backups to the Defensive Line.
    6.) TE Matt Furstenburg/ TE Jake Doyle
    They both have the height and blocking capabilities. If either one is available, draft Furstenburg first. It is most likely that both of these TE will hit the undrafted free agency but drafting them would be much better to secure either one of these players on this football team.
    7.) S Cooper Taylor
    His height at 6’5” is amazing. He might lack many qualities but he could still develop into a nice Safety as we are little thin at that position. If Cyprien, Vacarro, Reid or any of Safeties are drafted earlier, Taylor should still be drafted no matter what. There are many other low options that will be available in the 7th round but I felt Taylor might be a nice pickup.

70. By sammy on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Interesting piece on Palmer.

71. By Scott H on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

tyman –

Dude, please. Yeah, I was saying that we should give Matt a chance, when? When he was competing with DEREK ANDERSON??? Give me a damn break. Yeah, you’re absolutely right, I WAS saying that. And given how successful we were with Anderson, what exactly is your point???

Since your memory is so good, perhaps you might remember that many people were saying we should give Matt a chance at that point. So, spare me the crap about how “we could all see he was a bust.” Like he could have been any worse than Anderson was??? You are referring to a point in time when our choice was between Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson. We were ending up with a bust no matter which way we turned. No matter which guy you favored, you weren’t right and you weren’t wrong. You gonna argue that???