Dealing with Washington’s suspension

Posted by Darren Urban on April 3, 2013 – 4:01 pm

By the time the Cardinals actually play a game that counts, six months-plus from now, today’s revelation that linebacker Daryl Washington was suspended the first four games of the 2013 regular season will be old news. Even how coach Bruce Arians deals with it will be old news. There is a whole offseason to prep a replacement. The other players know. There’s no sugar-coating that losing arguably your best defensive player (and I said arguably, Patrick, Calais and Darnell) doesn’t help on the field. But on the field is probably the easiest place to work with this absence. By September, by the time games start, this is no different on the field than a guy who suffers a badly sprained ankle and misses a month. It happens.

(A quick aside: I don’t know who the Cards will get to fill the role. Early guess is the team makes due with what they have as opposed to getting a “name” fill-in. Karlos Dansby’s name has been mentioned often, and I suppose you can’t rule it out, but what to do with him when Washington comes back? Is Dansby ready to be a backup? I’d guess no right now and that’s assuming he’d be willing to come in for cheap.)

But Washington won’t be allowed at the facility for that month (or five weeks if the Cards are unlucky enough to have an early bye) and misses out on that time with his team and coaches. He’ll lose $564,705 in salary based on the $2.4 million he is supposed to earn this season. Based on the NFL’s policy, the only way Washington could get suspended is if he had violated the policy previously, so Washington also has to show he can get straight in that regard. To be suspended a player is in Stage Two of the league’s Substance Abuse policy and stays there for two full seasons. Another longer suspension comes if he violates the policy again.

UPDATE: This was not a violation for performance-enhancing drugs. People seem to be missing that point.

Washington, who signed a huge new contract last season, was due a $10 million option bonus at the end of the season but Mike Sando reports that bonus was moved last month to the end of the 2014 season (Apparently for salary cap purposes). Either way, the Cardinals still have a very talented player who they want on the field, and they are paying him to be there. Washington promised, both in a statement through the team and via his Twitter account he was sorry.

The Cards need Washington to be true to his word.

Dwash4gamesUSE

Tags: , ,

56 Responses to “Dealing with Washington’s suspension”

1. By Christo on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

This stuff pisses me off. I gotta grind out for the next 30 ******* years because God didn’t bless me with physical attributes. This guy can’t put down a pipe for a decade to play ball?

Sad sad sad. He is supposed to be a leader on our team.

Pathetic is the only word I have.

2. By Kurt on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Karlos Dansby

3. By Andrew on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

It’s hardly “pathetic” Christo. You may not have been blessed with physical attributes, but don’t think for a second any player in the NFL hasn’t worked extremely hard to get where they are. And nothing is stopping you from becoming a self-made millionaire other than feeling sorry for yourself. It’s people like you who bash a player on the team your supposed to be a fan of for making one little mistake that ruin the loyalty of our fan base. I will support Daryl Washington’s mistakes and hope he can stay true to his word and work hard to come back with a chip on his shoulder. There are a lot of things we could be worrying about other than whether or not NFL players want to smoke a little marijuana for recreational use in the offseason. Ignorance is bliss. GO CARDINALS!

4. By wonderingwhy on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Maybe he has glaucoma?

5. By D on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I hear it’s T Gooden coming in for a visit, has played in a 3-4 in SF and the Ravens, probably can play special teams, most likely league min. pay ( i think played with Campbell at the U)

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Andrew —

RE: “worry”

“There are a lot of things we could be worrying about other than whether or not NFL players want to smoke a little marijuana for recreational use in the offseason”

Except that it is against the rules and can lead to a suspension.

I don’t know why Washington is suspended — the drug used hasn’t been revealed — but bottom line, it’s not OK when you miss games for it. Plus, he would have already had at least one warning.

7. By cardsalltheway on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Was it ESPN’s John Clayton that said for Washington to be on “Stage 2″ he had to have been warned 3 times? Pathetic, how many employers let their employees do “recreational drugs”(pot?) 3 times without any repercussions?

NFL players are totally pampered.

“…this is no different on the field than a guy who suffers a badly sprained ankle and misses a month. It happens.”

It is different because we’re talking about a “recreational drug” that can be mentally(physically?) addictive. Habits aren’t so easy to break for some people.

8. By Andrew on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I understand, but too bash him for it is just unecessary. He isn’t perfect. You are supposed to support the players in your organization. Obviously we wished he hadn’t been suspended, but it happened. We have to have his back on his way back to the field.

9. By cardsalltheway on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Some players probably laugh at that 3 warning rule when they hear about it, but who’s laughing now?

10. By Darren on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Andrew,
    are you a seson ticket holder? if not, you should be quiet. if so, do you enjoy watching the cards lose?

11. By jetstreamgreen81 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

WTF! I can’t believe if he had 3 warnings already he would be stupid enough to do it again. His guaranteed money should be paid back immediately and he should have to take a weekly test to stay clean and prove he is to get the rest of his contract! He is such a good LB and I just can’t believe he would do something this stupid. Just when things seem to be turning around, something like this happens. I wish him the best in conquering his demon that he has that caused him to do something this stupid. Will need to rally as a team to make it through those 4 games. Still excited about the moves and getting Palmer and can’t wait for the draft. Go Cards!!

12. By Eric G on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Out of character for Washington. This is surprising. I am disappointed.

13. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

“It’s people like you who bash a player on the team your supposed to be a fan of for making one little mistake that ruin the loyalty of our fan base.”

Andrew,

You are way out of line. Loyalty can’t be one sided. Washington should be judged, should be “bashed”, and should be shamed for such a stupid mistake. He hurt the team, and consequently, he hurt the fans.

I have made the same mistakes that Washington is making, and if I had people like you coddling me like a child, I would never have entered myself into rehab. I WOULD BE DEAD RIGHT NOW. Maybe his drug of choice won’t kill him, but it could easily end his career. I don’t know if he has an addiction, but he is making stupid decisions.

I’ll be right back in his corner the moment he steps on the field, but in the mean time, we all have the right to be angry at him, to judge him.

14. By Corgon on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

not good

15. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Andrew,

I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be making this about you. You sound like someone that cares, and you sound like someone that just wants the guy to get “better”. I respect that, and you have all the right to judge someone from your heart.

I just got caught up in my own experience with similar drug problems, and I didn’t mean to imply that your opinion doesn’t matter.

16. By Corgon on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

And by the way please Cards, please give an offer to the Hyphen, before the steelers nab him.

Thanks in advance,
    a fan (one of them), who dpn”t understand why you don’t want him back.

17. By wayne on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

I did read, if it is a four game suspension it’s the second time the player has failed a random drug test, I’ll wait to hear before I get to upset but if it’s true (2nd fail) then I could care less and he is my favorite defensive player since Adrian is no longer here, 2 times is 2 to many and my Cardinals come first over all players, even if it’s his 1st fail it’s bad because of what he just did to his teammates is BS and no Andrew I didn’t say fans because you would bash me to

18. By Andy Kw on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Come on Daryl Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -This team was building on a promising NFL Offseason. Why in the world would you violate the NFL rules????????
    -We need you to stop using what ever substance you are using forever and get back to football in the right mentality.
    -Many people look up to you and this was plain bad right here. I admired your leadership and your ability to lead this team but this was wrong in all ways.
    -We need you to be an elite football player that is healthy and also substance free.
    -Please Daryl Washington, we need you back but don’t ruin your NFL career by doing this. I believe in the words you say that you are going to work even harder to start off your season right but please, no more.

19. By Andy Kw on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

If this team is going to draft a Quarterback, we should draft the Quarterback in the third or fourth round.
    Here are my thoughts on the draft again:
    1.) OT Eric Fisher/ OG Chance Warmack
    Our team is loaded with okay tackles but are in need of a better guard to improve the run game. If Eric Fisher is available take him, if not, this team should draft Chance Warmack to open up the field for Rashard Mendenhall and Ryan Williams to run. I’m more for the idea of drafting Warmack than Fisher. Nate Potter and Bobby Massie has shown that they are decent starters in the NFL.
    2.) FS John Cyprien/ RB Eddie Lacy
    Since there are big names like Eric Reid and Kenny Vacarro, I believe Cyprien will make his way towards the top of the 2nd Round. If he is taken, Vacarro or Reid will make it in to the 2nd round and all 3 have talent. Cyprien is better than the bunch but if any of these 3 come available, take them. If Lacy is still available in the 2nd Round and any of these 3 are still available, I still advise to take a safety than a running back. Eddie Lacy has the power and burst that this team lacks in the backfield. He has the potential to become one of the elite backs in the NFL. Although he has the possibilities of being injured and possibly chosen by other needy teams like the Packers, he would still be a nice pick up.
    3.)WR Marquess Wilson /OT Reid Fragel
    Our team doesn’t need wide receivers but anything that bolsters the offense and provides more to Carson Palmer’s arsenal would help. Our number 1,2, and 3 wide receivers are all set so Fitzgerald, Roberts, and Floyd have nothing to worry about. Marquess Wilson has quick feet and could immediately play an impact as our offense gets stronger and stronger. LaRon Byrd has speed as well so I would assume he would remain at number 5 WR because he has phenomenal talent. Obviously if Fisher is drafted, Reid Fragel isn’t needed but if Warmack is drafted instead of Fisher, Fragel would be a nice draft pick in the third round.
    4.) QB E.J Manuel/ QB Mike Glennon/ QB Tyler Bray
    I know drafting Manuel in the 4th round is highly impossible due to him probably being selected in the earlier rounds. Although it might be impossible to draft him so far down the draft class, the idea of this Quarterback Draft Class being one of the worst could bring him down this far. Glennon would probably be selected in the earlier rounds as well. QB Tyler Bray will probably be the only Quarterback in my selections that will be available in the 4th round. All these Quarterbacks have strong arms which is why I selected these QBs. Going down from Manuel, Manuel is the most accurate of the bunch, Glennon would come next, and Bray would come last as he will learn to be a QB that can play in the professional level.
    5.) DE Devin Taylor/ DE Quinton Dial
    I expect Dial to be available in this round but Devin Taylor has been impressive in the Combine and has the capabilities of being an elite and true NFL starter. I love Taylor’s work ethics and his combination of speed, strength, and burst makes him one of the best Defensive Ends but teams will look overlook him which is why he might fall in this round. He has drawn interest from many teams but I believe Taylor’s arrival here would be the right fit. Quinton dial can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme which is why he would be a nice pick up here to bolster the backups to the Defensive Line.
    6.) TE Matt Furstenburg/ TE Jake Doyle
    They both have the height and blocking capabilities. If either one is available, draft Furstenburg first. It is most likely that both of these TE will hit the undrafted free agency but drafting them would be much better to secure either one of these players on this football team.
    7.) S Cooper Taylor
    His height at 6’5” is amazing. He might lack many qualities but he could still develop into a nice Safety as we are little thin at that position. If Cyprien, Vacarro, Reid or any of Safeties are drafted earlier, Taylor should still be drafted no matter what. There are many other low options that will be available in the 7th round but I felt Taylor might be a nice pickup.

20. By david on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Ur still a beast dwash

21. By Andrew P. on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Wow…. That’s all I can say. D-Wash was one of my favorite players. Sure. He is still a great player and all. But this is a total let down. I have lost all respect I had for him. No matter how good of a player he is. What a major let down for the team, and the fans. *face palm*

22. By Scott H on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Well, this sucks…

23. By chris on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

ohhh wahhh so disapointed…… give me a break he is human. We do stupid stiff so can he the only difference is his paycheck

24. By Credit Card on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Its legal in Colorado, and the Colorado River runs through Arizona … come-on connect the dots on this one commish.

The Cards (if they were smart) would test their players at a stiffer level than the league, and have treatment programs, help groups and so on. The Cards have invested a lot of $$$ in these players, just to piss it off. I’m sure the NFLPA has their fingers in this in protecting the players, but as an employer they would do themselves good by leading their players and showing them how to act like a mature man.

25. By johnnybluenose on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

well, I guess most of us have been blindsided by this. obviously this does not come as a total surprise to management and team insiders who would have been aware of his previous violation or violations. Darren, how long has management known that this suspension was coming down? I think we have to seriously think about signing a replacement…paris lenon or even dansby if the price is right.

26. By G Witt on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Chris: We all do stupid stuff but when you have been caught one time, you don’t keep doing it and get caught a second time. That is STUPID!! If he needs help he needs to go get it.He has hurt the team, fans, community, and all the young fans that look up to him. He will have to work very hard to gain the respect back!! Right now I don’t want him as a role model that young people look up to. What kind of a message is he sending our youth??
    I do hope he can get himself straight and be back on the field with his team mates.

27. By tbru on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

If it isn’t a performance enhancing drug, the league should keep their noses out of of peoples private lives.

28. By Cactus jeff on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Dansby would be great in the middle.

29. By clssylssy on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Wow…I can’t believe such a reaction from so many based on so few facts. We don’t know what “the banned substance” was, if, on other occasions, he tested positive for the same substance, if the lab doing the testing has ever had any questionable “false positives”, etc. There are many drugs that are ingrediants in other drugs in small quanities that can cause a positive result but does not mean that the person injesting the “substance” is an addict or even was aware that it could give a positive reading on a drug screening. The NFL’s durg policy is a joke; it prohibits recognized legitimate drugs that are prescribed for such things as ADD/ADHD when alcohol is the most addictive drug in our society and is responsible for numerous players each year getting DUIs or being involved in tragic accidents. Rea seriousl users and addicts know how to “mask” substances and beat drug tests. The fact that Daryl Washington stepped up and took responsibliy for breaking a rule shows courage and is better than those players who continue to habitually believe they aren’t accountable to anyone for anything, right or wrong. The NFL is full of felons and it seems timely that every year the league needs to make an example out of a high profile player around draft time while they have guys like Pac Man Jones giving the rookie orientation (I see where he made the news again in a run-in with the law). It’s too bad that the Cardinals will be without Washington for four games but there is just not enough reliable information to warrant all the fuss. I realize that the organization has to make an official statement after PFT and others made him sound like some crazed addict. Enough said, much ado about about a situation nobody REALLY knows the facts about.

30. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Surprised at myself I guess, but agree with the anger from Christo, Cardsalltheway et al:

I thought about this all day before I posted here. Stunned. Wasn’t sure what I’d write until now. I’l probably be more forgiving tomorrow? maybe.

Christo: “This stuff pisses me off.” Me too. DWash says he’s accepting responsibility and will correct it. What? If informed correctly this is the third time he got caught. If I was Bidwill and Arians, he might traded for a low one or high two this week. He ALREADY got his second and third chances. He’s a druggie. Don’t care how good he is, lack of character loses. He three times made the choice to be selfish? Actually, he got caught three times. How many times really did he make that choice? How many? Dozens? Hundreds? Hope you consider cutting your losses Cards and move on.

Harsh? Nope, the drug policy negotiated is far too lenient. Football players are privileged professional athletes. He has terribly affected the carers and seasons of 59 other professionals. Some will never play another season. They all have a limited shelf life. His selfishness is simply unacceptable. Caught three times? C’mon. Geeez. To keep him is to enable his continued repeat of the offense. You do him more good as a person to impose real consequence, you also draw a line in the sand with your players.

Sorry, but the truth is he let his teammates, himself and his employer down terribly so. He is not the victim, sadly, he’s the offender. Wondering if the Cards trade him.

31. By azfaninwa on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

The sky isn’t falling but… that… sucks… hard…With all due respect to the other guys Darren mentioned, IMO, Washington has been our best defender. He is in a class by himself at covering space for an ILB. All over the field.

32. By James on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

This is disappointing but I’m not going to bash him.And please,I hope none of you who’s bashing him have ever done some kind of “recreational drug” (which none of us really know what kind of drug he did) and are all up in arms over this. If so,how hypercritical you all are! And before anyone ask no I’ve never done any kind of drugs………………………EVER! Not even once.

33. By Chuck 1 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Andrew,

What is it about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY that you don’t understand?

34. By georgiebird on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

This is a case of DWash trying to bulk up to be an ILB. No way, no how he will be a complete ILB once teams start running right at him.
    DWash is a weak side LB in a 4-3 defense.

35. By CardCore on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Wow.

After so much has gone RIGHT, now this. JUST when the fanbase was getting jacked up for a rock-n-roll season.
    This fanbase has SLAMMED Leinart for partying in a hottub with ladies. HUGE no-no !!! Did he miss any games over that?No. Now…THIS.
    Of course, SINCE he is a bigtime contributor to the D, it will all be glossed over by the fanbase and he will be welcomed back with open arms week 5. Arian’s doesn’t feel that way, I can tell you that.
    With Paris slowing down, this is a crushing blow.

Gee THANKS D WASH…!!!! YOU DA MAN!!!

36. By Coach Kevin on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Round 1- (#7) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    Great feet for a big man. Former tight end and quarterback. Has the biggest upside potential of any left tackle in this draft. Very athletic and smart.

Round 2- (#38) Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky

A real road grader with good movement skills. Excellent run blocker and good pass pro as well. Warford’s advantage is his strength. He will pancake defenders regulary. High motor.

Round 3- (#69) Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss.

Amazing athlete with good size and speed. Perfect outside backer in a 3-4 defense. Excellent pass rushing skills and can defeat offensive blockers and get to the ball. Works hard every play.

Round 4- (#103) Brian Schwenke, C, California

Most versatile and athletic center I have seen in years. Can play multiple positions on the interior line. Very quick on his feet and is excellent in man and zone blocking schemes.

Round 5- (#140) T.J. McDonald, FS, USC

Outstanding size and speed. Can play either strong or free safety. Plays aggressive and is a hard hitter. Could challenge for a starting position as a rookie.

Round 6- (#174) Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt

Stacy is practically a clone of Ravens running back Ray Rice. Same size and hard running style. Back to back 1000+ yard rushing seasons in the very tough SEC.

Round 7- (#219) Keelan Johnson, SS, Arizona St.

Local kid with potential. Very instinctive player who can cover and run support. Good size and excellent speed. Keelan could develop into a quality strong safety.

37. By Eazy E on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Some of you guys lives should be more than what drug D-Wash used to get the suspension. I don’t know what drug he did and I am very surprised, but he is human. We as a society need to get better at accepting some good and bad qualities. That is not to say we can’t improve on them but some people have certain things that they do. I know he is in the NFL and all and I don’t condone whatever drug he used when your in the league but still some people losing all respect and you let me down. If he let anybody down, it was his teammates mainly, coaches, front office, etc. But we as fans in a way he did but we shouldn’t be that involved in his life whereas some of y’all are going totally overboard with it. The first big hit or int or sack and y’all cheering him on like he’s your best friend.#Shut Up Already Dang

38. By BluePitt on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

CUT HIM!!!!! I don’t care how good he is! 1st time Cut em! If I were to test positive even once, Id loose my job! probably go to jail. but he can get warned 3 times and people are defending him? WTF? There is no defense for him, people are human???? 3 strikes and you go away for life in CA? He has had 3!!!! CUT HIM! If there is one thing I love about the Cards, it is the simple fact that we don’t have and wont tolerate the Packman’s of the league!
    Please don’t start now! CUT HIM!!!!

39. By Christo on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@Andrew

He had warnings, he didn’t make a mistake, he’s made many to be suspended. Who cares about a chip on his shoulder? He’s proven he can’t make the lifestyle change to conform to the rules. Next time he loses a year.

It’s sad, he is a beast (Assuming it’s not PEDS) his performance was worthy of being a leader to the team. It’s not going to happen.

I’ll be a fan of the Cardinals LONG after Washington and every other current team member is gone. No need to question my loyalty.

40. By cardsalltheway on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

If he gets caught again, I think he’s done for 1 year. And if he gets caught again after that, he’s done forever in the NFL.

41. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Credit —

RE: Testing

Cards can’t do anything more. All this is regulated by the CBA between the NFLPA and the league.

42. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

johnnyblue —

RE: Knowledge

I don’t know how long they knew. It might not have been long. It’s supposed to be a private process.

43. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

tbru —

RE: PED vs substance abuse

Unless, you know, it’s against the law. Right?

44. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: DWash

You are wrong here. He was not busted for a PED, it was substance abuse. Two separate policies.

45. By eric on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

smarten up DW.

46. By T. Stone on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Two sentence apology tweet huh? Well it didn’t take him long to remember that one because he said it behind closed doors at least once before. He had that one saved into drafts. Cant call this a mistake. What an idiot.
    Maybe D Wash and Ricky Williams got their drugs from the same person in College. Only three hours to Austin. Another good player with rocks in his head.

47. By Rufus on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I read that Washington’s 2013 salary bonus was postponed until 2014 because of this violation and his entire contract can be voided for another drug suspension. The fact that this was in his contract extension indicates that the team knew about his past drug abuse. This could jeopordize his entire career. I hope he gets help.

48. By clssylssy on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

If the NFL truely cared about the welfare of their players they would assist players suspended for these infractions by getting them into a program rather than taking a passive agressive stance of turning a blind eye OR making an example out of them. How effective has that been REALLY? How many players have repeated DUI’s, anger management issues, suicides, auto fatalities, gun incidents, etc. every year that COULD have it’s basis in repeated head trauma and playing a violent sport for years? Just saying, the longer the NFL continues to not deal with these issues in a thought out and sensible manner the worse things are going to be for the players, the teams, the fans and the NFL! Right now the NFL is sweating bullets over the concussion/head injury issue with all of it’s ramifications and I’m just waiting till the lawsuits start for PTSD. The best defense here for everybody would be to proactively help these players when they first show signs of having problems THEN if they don’t accept the gesture of help in saving their careers and lives, CUT THEM! Some times a little empathy and compassion goes a long way as these guys are people first and then NFL players!

49. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Program

The players suspended for violating the substance abuse policy are already in a treatment program. They have already been caught at least once.

50. By johnnybluenose on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@BluePitt. I would not cut him but I think I would think about trading him. we got him in the second round a couple of years ago and he has certainly lived up to expectations…on the field. if we can get a second round pick for him now, do we do it? I don’t know. I wonder what keim thinks.

51. By clssylssy on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren…that’s good to know however, his transgresions still don’t hold a candle to this guy who got probation!
    Re: Steeler rookie Alameda Ta’amu according to Mike Florio:”A fourth-round pick in 2012, Ta’amu allegedly evaded the police, crashing his vehicle into other cars after nearly running over an officer whose gun was drawn. He was charged with felony counts of fleeing police, aggravated assault while driving drunk, and three counts of aggravated assault, along with 10 misdemeanors including resisting arrest, attempting escape, drunk driving, and failure to obey traffic laws.
    Ta’amu allegedly ran past two other officers who also had their guns drawn.
    Just saying, the NFL has issues and their definition of “substance abuse” perhaps needs to be rethought?
    Wonder if they are in the same program?

52. By Sunny on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Why has no effort been made to higlight the latest news/update on this story? Per profootball talk article, Daryl tested postive once in an accidental positive (granted I’m not sure how you get a drug in your blood by accident; maybe he had a poppy seed muffin for breakfast? lol) Anyway, it seems his second and thrid violations were for not following through on the league’s treatment program requirements after a positive test.

It’s youthful and rebellious, almost understandable, especially if he felt he’d done nothing wrong to earn the infraction, but it is way…WAY better than a role model’s reputation being dragged through the mud, and having the world think of him as some addicted pot or crack head.

Please, can we do some more to help change the ‘How could he?’ narrative that’s surfacing? The young man deserves better that the utter loss of reputation that he’s facing in the face of the darker narrative. Even an update to this post, referencing the football talk story might help get the news out.

Thank you!

53. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Sunny —

RE: PFT/DWash

This is the report you speak of: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/04/daryl-washingtons-suspension-didnt-follow-the-usual-path/

Why haven’t I? Mostly because it isn’t sourced, it has no concrete facts and while it might be true, unless there is something a lot more detailed — or someone goes on the record — it’s pretty flimsy. At some point, if Daryl wants to explain himself, I’d be thrilled to listen. But there’s got to be more details than just what Florio posted to have it mean something.

54. By Sunny on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

To be clear,

I was wondering why in general it hadn’t been mentioned by the media, not why you specifically hadn’t brought it up here again. Thank you for your prompt reply. It does make sense.

DWash, give the man a story and a girl a reason to be less bummed out already!

Go Cards!

55. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Sunny —

RE: Media

Again, I think the same reason I haven’t is the same reason no one else has. You can’t just take vague speculation and run with it (at least, journalistically, you’re not supposed to) without sources.

56. By Tenney family on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Daryl,
    Focus on yourself now. Please do not take to heart the negative statements. They are not in your shoes…its easy to complain when you do not know. This is not right but sadly that is how some people are. “He whom hath not sinned, let him cast the first stone” Forgive yourself. Jesus forgave, as we did also.
    Love Faithfully,