Still some cap space and adding players

Posted by Darren Urban on April 3, 2013 – 6:50 pm

The NFL Players Association tweeted out a document this afternoon listing every NFL team’s cap space, and, with everything fluid this time of year (cap space changes as soon as players are added or subtracted) the Cardinals have about $8.2 million in salary cap space for their top 51. That’s not a bad situation to be in after trading for Carson Palmer. (UPDATE: There seems to be some question if that is before the Palmer deal factored in. Obviously if it hasn’t been, that will make a big difference It included Palmer already.)

The Cards did add a small piece today in former 49ers safety Curtis Taylor (the team has yet to officially announce it). I’d expect a few more similar signings over the next couple of weeks as the Cards prep for their first (voluntary) minicamp beginning April 23.

The Cards still only have 57 players after adding Palmer (and before Taylor) and they need to grow that number. There will be seven draft picks and a bunch of undrafted rookies, but again, the Cards eventually want to get to 90 players

– The Bengals claimed quarterback John Skelton, cut by the Cards Monday, off waivers Wednesday. Here’s hoping Skelton catches on as a backup. I still believe he’d already have a win in Cincinnati if Early Doucet hadn’t fallen down.

– I never wrote anything because of when it happened (and in case you were living under a rock) ex-Cards QB Kevin Kolb agreed to a deal with the Bills a few days ago. He has a chance to start there, at least as of right now.

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Still some cap space and adding players”

1. By Kevin S on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

It will be interesting to track Kolb and Skelton from here, considering all the rage here for so long has been Kolb vs. Skelton. Kolb probably wins the starting job in Buffalo; will be interesting to see if he is able to play a full season and, if so, if he fulfills the potential some think he has. I would bet even money that Skelton never throws another NFL pass (excluding preseason).

2. By Chuck 1 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Eric G.,

Out of character???
    How do you know?
    Methinks that he is showing his true character if he, in fact, had three warnings.

3. By Chuck 1 on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

OOPS.
    Posted that comment on the wrong blog.

4. By david on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Skelton was snaged quicker than kolb

5. By philly cards on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Profootball talk has us at 11.5 million after daryl washingtons haircut. But that’s not really a great spot to be in with no safties.

6. By georgiebird on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see Skelton catch on with the Bengals. They must have been impressed with JS who should have beaten them in 2011. With all the junk that Whiz threw at JS last year, the kid (just turned 25) maintained a pro attitude. Good luck, John-hope you can beat the Chargers during the season.

7. By Steve Lee on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

When will Ariens start working on the O-line?

8. By B-Patt on Apr 3, 2013 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Thanks for the update on Curtis Taylor! It’s nice to get a heads up before the official announcement. You do an excellent job and the Bird Gang appreciates your long hours and keeping us in the loop! I like the fact that he’s got size and still young, he’s no A-Dub and no one ever will be, but he may look nice across the field from his old teammate PP! I also can’t wait to snag another good safety in the draft which is full of them.

LOVE the Carson Palmer deal. I got a chuckle when I read that Skelton went to his old team. I also hope that he finds his way, maybe the red rocket can help him out. Bruce Bruce is doing an excellent job so far, I’m really impressed with the path the organization is taking and am extremely excited for the future!!

B-Patt

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Steve —

RE: OL

Why don’t we let the offseason play out fully before getting worried?

10. By clssylssy on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

See where the Cards are holding a private workout for USC’S Barkley???OH NO, NOT ANOTHER USC QB! Seems like they always come over rated and don’t transition into the NFL with much lasting success. What’s the big attraction with USC anyway? They’re overhypted players seem to have “issues” that keep them from playing well with others…Reggie Bush, Matt Leinert, Carson Palmer, why not try looking at talent in a different area of the country like the midwest (Michigan, Wisconsin, K-State,Nebraska, Oklahoma) or the SEC?

11. By eric on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

would welcome a dansby or calvin pace return.

12. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

New Free Agent: “Clabo hits the market as a durable, reliable blocker for teams in need of help at right tackle. The 31-year-old former undrafted free agent hasn’t missed a game since 2007 and has been a very good run blocker for Atlanta’s running game.”

13. By Chuck 1 on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

When I wrote, in a previous blog, that the Cards will be (at least) 8-8 this season “BARRING SIGNIFICANT INJURIES TO KEY PLAYERS”, I forgot to include “…AND SUSPENSIONS TO KEY PLAYERS WHO MAKE BONEHEADED DECISIONS”.

14. By Coach Kevin on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I’m beginning to think the Cardinals will do something very unusual in this draft. Take Womack in round 1 and Warford in round 2. The top two plug and play guards in this draft. Then follow with two safeties in round 3 & 4. Rambo and Wilcox. Would fill needs immediately. Grab a solid inside linebacker in round 5, and my steal of the draft Zac Stacy, the RB from Vandy in round 6. Stacy is a carbon copy of Ray Rice.

15. By Ethan on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I am happy for Skelton for getting picked up so fast. He did handle himself really well and did some great community stuff here. Hope he gets another shot

16. By Dynosoar on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

To address this blog. I’m thrilled for John Skelton. Kevin Kob should be happy behind the Buffalo O-Line, unless they suffer drastic changes this offseason or decimating injuries like we did. Be interesting to see how he does behind an injury free O-line that doesn’t allow a lot of sacks.

clssylssy,

I could give twenty thumbs up on your post above and it wouldn’t be enough.

david,

yeah, I noticed that as well.

B-Patt,

I had the same chuckle.

17. By Dynosoar on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

I watched the Green Bay Playoff game last night and noticed how few players from that Cardinals team are still around. I also realized for the first time that was Clay Mathews rookie season.

Man, was that was a game to watch! I’d forgotten how good Beanie could be when healthy and how many mistakes were made by our defensive secondary

(“Money Mike” may have made the game saving play at the end, but if he hadn’t blown three other plays, he may not have needed to make that last play, but then again, he DID make that last play and how many of us can not blow a play or three in any game, Fitzgerald even got stripped by a great play on the Packers side.)

Oh that was a great game to watch. I’m planning on watching our SB game tonight. I just want to see that one TD by Fitz, outrunning three Steelers. Looing forward to tonight.

Next game I want to watch over and over, next years SB in NY, when Fitzgerald gets his first SB ring.

18. By Dynosoar on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

From a blog ago,

NYCardinals,

I agree, we’ve probably all had at least one adiction, from video games to drugs and some are more detrimental for sure and some require more (rehab?) to overcome than others, but we all can if we try place ourselves in Daryl’s moccassins and realize it’s not the easiest thing to break a habit and create a new habit, let alone an addiction.

Credit Card,

I like your idea. Unfortunately as Darren pointed out, the Union’s in the way.

Andy KW,

I always apprciate a good sound argument for mock drafts (shout out to “D” and “john the draft guy”). I found your’s to be both informative and pleasant to read. A great write up.

Bill L… I … liked… the… fewer… elipses… in… your… last… post. I actually… [sorry, laughing :)] read the entire post and got a lot from it. Thanks. Elipses are your style and while we all need style, I very much appreciated a few less… Thanks. And thanks for posts with commentary I enjoy reading.

19. By Christo on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Why hasn’t Early been cut? Or King for that matter?

We still have alot of Cap space to clear.

20. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

may been posted elsewhere, re DWash bonus delay: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/04/daryl-washington-option-bonus-delay-more-about-cap-than-suspension/

21. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@clssylssy,

“They’re overhypted players seem to have “issues” that keep them from playing well with others…Reggie Bush, Matt Leinert, Carson Palmer”

Overhyped is a pretty strong term for a school that has produced Simpson, Boselli, Yary, Munoz, the Kalil’s, Keyshawn, Marcus Allen, Polamalu, Mosebar, Lott, Van Horne, Bruce Matthews, Clay Matthews, Lynn Swann, etc.,etc., etc. Like them or hate them, they are the true definition of a football factory.

Any team that has the QB history we have shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss a guy like Palmer, and what he’s accomplished over his career. Or lament the idea that we’d kick the tires on Barkley. We could cherry picks busts from every school in the country, and I think we’ve had pretty good representation over the years from the schools you think we’ve overlooked.

22. By Dynosoar on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Am I addicted to this blog? I hope there’s not a policy against that (if my wife reads this she may create said policy, hehe).

I posted this before, but feel I should say it again as it was at the end of a previous and may not have been read.

So is Washington getting a suspension a way for the NFL to have parity in a division we’ve been stepping up to take over? Seems there should be more than one or two players in the entire NFL that violate this policy, but only one or two each year seem to get “caught”. And most of them fight the suspensions.

Substance abuse is totally avoidable, at least like Big Ben he didn’t follow a co-ed into a bathroom.

C’mon team, let’s not blow the playmaking ability of this team with suspensions.

I also believe in choice and accountability. If more in our society were accountable, whether by themselves or by someone else, we’d have a much better place to live.

Way to go Daryl (not for the substance abuse, but for being accountable.) Way to show everyone that you don’t have to fight when in the wrong, just be accountable. Wish all players would learn from your example.

Good luck beating an addiction, as NYCardinals pointed out, it is totally possible, just takes more effort than some things.

Wow, loss of $545K, assuming I actually get annual raises, that’s ten yrs. salary. C’mon, Daryl you can’t afford to lose that. Whatever substance it is kick it and be an even bigger example. 1st for accountability, 2nd for overcomming. We all have to overcome something, admitting is the first step for any of us.

In fact! I’m going to follow his example. I’ve determined one habit I can overcome and I’m going to tell all my family and friends and enlist their support and create a new habit (no, not a substance, although, I do have an addiction to donuts that could border on abuse to my waistline.)

23. By Dynosoar on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

DontTakeLosses,

Atlanta has had a solid run game for years. My only question, if Clabo’s so great, why’d they let him go?

Not saying he’s a bad fit for our team because they let him go; just wondering if the reasoning is something valid for Atlanta and also something that wouldn’t concern us.

24. By Hank on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Clabo from the Falcons just got cut. 9 year vet. 31 yrs old. Cards should sign him & still draft an OT in the first round.

25. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

@David & Dynosoar,

It’s generally easier to find a team willing to pick up the last season of a contract that pays $630K than it is to negotiate a two-year deal worth between 12-13 million. I’m guessing Skelton would trade places with Kolb pretty quickly, even if it meant a few more days on the unemployment line.

26. By Buck on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Eric
    re Dansby and Pace return
    They aren’t the guys they used to be.

27. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

re Clabo, dunno. Some media sites say Cards happy with Massie at RT or that Levi is going there. Just throwing it out, interesting inquiry. He’s not a bum we know that..never misses a start. What’s that worth? si si.

28. By DontTakeLosses on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Early was already cut. We’re short on TEs per Arians approach, he’ll play 2 even 3 at a time. Put one in slot, one in backfield or motion. Need 4 or 5 if FB gets the axe. Maybe our FB can play for Dwashedup? ;)

29. By Victor Sanchez on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

Darren, would you say that about Early because absolutely NO ONE from the Bengals covered him…:)

30. By johnnybluenose on Apr 4, 2013 | Reply

hey dynosoar. are you and clssylssy going steady now? as for Washington and his “accountability”. how is he being accountable? he is obviously guilty of violating the league’s rules. and more than once. so, he apologises and promises not to do it again and you think that demonstrates “accountability”? he had to apologise. that’s the very least he could do. it’s meaningless. not violating the rules a second time, after being warned at least once of the consequences to himself and his team of a repeat offence, that’s accountability. not screwing up is accountability. the more I think about it and knowing nothing about Washington except what I see on the field, I think we should try and trade him.

31. By zippo79 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

What if we got a wr named Kenny Stills… 4.2-4.2 speed, I heard on a interview that if they found a wr that ran a that speed they would snatch em up? what do you think?

2. Apr 4, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Cards add two DBs (and Fitz talking to Palmer)
  3. Apr 4, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Palmer contract helps Cards